Showing 187 reviews of 174

Redefining Enterprise Ecommerce

Showing 187 reviews of 174
Nathan K.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros

Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons

Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

Chad W.

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

Reviewed on 2018/11/18

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier.

There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great.

The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress.

They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable.

For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages.

And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal

The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email.

I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

Justin D.

TYLER'S x BigCommerce

Reviewed on 2020/11/09

BigCommerce has been absolutely phenomenal. We're glad to be based in Austin, Texas alongside some of the BigCommerce team. Their support staff has been instrumental in our ability to adjust when a problem arises, and find a long term solution to ensure our ongoing success.

Pros

BigCommerce has developed a simplistic software that's allowing small and mid size companies to maneuver at scale. We've been able to learn and adapt new strategies as their team continues to open new capabilities to developers and as they push development in their app market. Fast and reliable apps will be key to building and maintaining the next evolution of ecommerce businesses and having that infrastructure in place will be pivotal in the years to come.

Cons

When we teamed up with BigCommerce, they were a newer competitor in the market. Some similar companies were able to offer functionalities that were limiting to our initial growth through ecommerce. Being a brick and mortar based business since 1978, we had a multitude of functionalities needed to keep up with our physical locations. Although they couldn't offer these features out of the gate, they were quick to get them implemented and worked closely with us to resolve our issues.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Ecommerce Platform with Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2020/04/16

In general, I am very satisfied with the product. It serves its purpose for a reliable and easy to set up ecommerce platform with lowmaintenance cost.

Pros

Although the platform offers a lot of features for an ecommerce business to be able to run daily operations and analyze data, my favourite part by far is the fact that it has a great customer service. Every time when there is an issue with the website or we have questions, we can chat with a representative from Bigcommerce. Their customer service is very reliable and knowledgeable. No waiting on the phone, no back and fort transferring between reps. Technical support is right there for you.

Cons

I wish there were more applications that can be easily integrated. Compared to Shopify, Bigcommerce doesn't offer as vast variety of options.

Adam M.
  • Industry: Public Safety

BigCommerce Review

Reviewed on 2020/07/06

It works, and we need the software as we couldn't integrate two Shopify stores into our ERP. I hope we can expect BigCommerce to keep adding features because they really do have a lot of catching up to do.

Pros

We stated using BigCommerce as the software behind our new website redesign. We like the ease of setting up the products, product customization and the large pool of experienced companies that design BigCommerce storefronts. It was easy to get setup and our new website was running in about 6 months.

Cons

The order management system they have in place is just not good. You cannot edit orders. Which customers expect us to be able to do. If a customer wants to add an item you can add the item, but you cannot charge the customer for the additional item within BigCommerce software. Same goes with removing items from orders. If you remove an item from an order it does not give you an option to refund the difference. You have to do that outside BigCommerce software.

Our website has been live on BigCommerce for about 4 weeks now and we just experienced our fist "outage" in over 5 years. So I am not optimistic about uptime since the site has already gone down once, and it has only been live for 4 weeks.

Using BigCommerce it is hard to search for and find orders, even if you have an order number you are redirected to the "advanced search". Instead of being able to type in an order number and find the order you have to type in the number, wait for the advanced search page to load then type in the order number again. Come...on...guys.

The same with product search. I can copy and paste a product name directly from our storefront, search in BigCommerce, then I get redirected to another "advanced search" page. Where I have to enter the SAME SEARCH again, then I get results.

We are on an "enterprise" plan that in some ways, has less features than a store we run on a "basic" Shopify plan for less than 1/3 the cost.

Inventory tracking is also not great.

Christine P.
  • Industry: Plastics

Big Commerce Works for Harman

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

Pros

I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

Cons

The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

A great tool for customizable templates

Reviewed on 2020/01/15

I love it. It offers additional features like my online store's SEO, drop shipping, etc.

Pros

Love the templates available for my store and customization options.

Cons

Price difference between the level of subscriptions can be a little high. Some basic features fall into a higher subscription.

Brendan C.

Great SaaS Platform

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

Great platform with a wealth of features. But you need to make sure you know what is possible if you have any specific logic you are trying to create on the platform.

Pros

The ease of use to setup and implement this eCommerce platform is extremely quick and painless. Being that it is SaaS means that the launch process is as easy as literally flipping a switch.

Cons

Being SaaS you do trade off control for ease of use. When working in the platform, you need to understand there are just things you cannot do.

Stacy W.

Very User Friendly Shopping Cart Application

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Ease of use, efficient product maintenance, etc.

Pros

I love the fact that most of the coding has been done for the user. The program is so user friendly, that anyone could easily have a website up and running within a day or so.

Cons

Bigcommerce has a great shipping set up for individual products. I would like to see their developers provide an "in-house" dim-weight shipping solution. This would give them a huge advantage over their competitors.

Jami S.
  • Industry: Public Safety

Great website

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Great website. Nice looking templates and good with product variations.

Pros

Many choices for templates. Customer Service is great. Pretty user friendly. Cost is based on transactions. Great integrations with many programs.

Cons

It is a bit costly, but the features outweigh the cost. The integrations make set up easy for any user.

Very good experience using Big Commerce everdy day: many features & great...

Reviewed on 2018/03/30

Pros

You can follow easily all your orders, changing the status with integration with other apps (for fraud control, order processing). You can extract data of your orders very fast also. Also you can customize the website template in many ways without many coding skills so that's a great plus.

Cons

I have a good experience but I would say that the software could have a better customer support (the interface as well as the help given, sometimes disappointing) when there are glitches for examples. Also, it should be possible to process orders directly on Big Commerce, just forwarding the order details to a supplier, but it does not have this feature for the moment.

Jesse P.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

A good choice

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Overall they are a great choice as long as you stay under that threshold on sales so you dont get charged triple the price.

Pros

Easy to use, good options, Support is always amazing and there to help you

Cons

once you hit a sales threshold the price per month triples, not good for us small businesses

Jennifer G.

We use big commerce in our small business to manage our online store.

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

amateurs can run our online store

Pros

Easy to learn. We added online to our storefronts and we were able to easily train our existing employees to run this software.

Cons

There are some things that are hard to add. It's hard to add more sections. We post things on our blog because that is easier to manage

Jessica F.
  • Industry: Furniture

I use Big Commerce every day for my job.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Able to do my job easily.

Pros

This software seems to be very easy to use. Very simple setup and easy to manage. I've had to teach people to use the program which went very smoothly.

Cons

The one negative thing about this program would be the lack of functions. I think there should be more options available.

Strong but could use a few improvements. WordPress integration!

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

We are happy and will continue working with it.

Pros

It feels bulletproof and everything is very secure. We are excited about the new WordPress integration.

Cons

The checkout. The merchandising abilities (showing what, when, how per category).

• Used Other for 2+ years

Big bang for your buck!

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

It's inexpensive and easy to get started. Has all of the critical ecommerce tools and some extras. First started using them about 5 years ago. Template system took some getting used to but support was helpful.

Cons

From what I recall, the coupon system had some trouble but they fixed it. Some of the template features made it too hard to customize for a picky designer. Nothing major though.

Michelle H.

One-stop shop for all things ecommerce

Reviewed on 2010/06/01

As an e-commerce designer and marketer, I was immediately impressed by BigCommerce's services. BigCommerce was the only company that seemed to cater exclusively to the ecommerce site. They are constantly adding exactly the features that I think are critical to ecommerce success, such as a fully integrated shopping cart and payment gateway, shipping and marketing strategies. They partner with the most up-to-date social media and email sites to offer a complete ability for marketing your ecommerce site. BigCommerce also offers a large selection of templates so that anyone can set up a beautiful shop with no design experience.

Pros

I love that I can set up my shopping cart & merchant account, shipping & marketing programs through BigCommerce. They are constantly offering webinars, tips and social marketing strategies, such as a shop tab on my store's facebook page.

Cons

There are a few issues, such as having the ability to upload your own gift certificate background, changing your initial order number (so it doesn't start at 1), etc., but BigCommerce has told me that they are already working on these issues.

Jennifer J.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Chose another platform in the end

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Pros

Big Commerce has a strong technical stack and it seems to be able to host the websites and webstores and ecommerce solutions for some massive players. Great reporting and high level support for customization and as I understand it, it hosts for some very large retail/webstore companies.

Cons

However! For the money, it was not a good solution for my small company - and I wouldn't recommend it for small companies who do not have large funds to support programmers and high levels of customization.
I did not find the BigCommerce platform to be very intuitive or easy to use and in the end I found that to really get what I needed out of the software I would have to hire a programmer - which I do not have the resources to do. After giving Bigcommerce a month trial, we went with a "better value for your money" and easier to use software platform.

Joy K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Reviewed on 2015/10/27

We have used BigCommerce for over a year and it's ease of use is wonderful. It gives you step by step in setting up items with all the info you would need, please you can add custom fields as necessary. Customer service tends to be hard to come by though. Thankfully it's not needed too often because of the simplicity and ease of the site.

Pros

- Very easy to navigate
- Simple look
- Design how we want

Cons

- Lack of Customer Service (takes many steps to get in contact)
- Flexible shipping rates is unavailable which makes it difficult for accurate shipping costs

Melanie E.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Offered My Client a Lot More Than Shopify Could

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

Big Commerce is certainly easier for the amateur to use than Shopify (a huge plus for aome of my clients) and its out of the box options are excellent.

Pros

I don't DO e-commerce myself as a retailer but I have worked for plenty who do and have created more than a few retail sites from scratch. I first encountered Big Commerce when a new client was stymied by the fact that Shopify made it nearly impossible for him to sell digital downloads. A huge problem for a 21st-century comic book author. Redoing his site with Big Commerce allowed for that functionality and in working with it I found it more intuitive than Shopify as well.

Cons

It is perhaps a little expensive when compared to other options BUT for the project I used it for it got my client exactly what he needed and the jump in revenue for him has meant that the software more than pays for itself.

ability to bring my business online - ECOM

Reviewed on 2019/10/08

Ability to bring my brick and mortar business online and start gaining sales through other outlets and online.

Pros

The price point is decent for what it is. Has all the tools needed to bring my products online and to then be able to ship nation wide.

Cons

The interface is not very easy to navigate. I don't think much UI / UX testing was done when this was built out. Needs to be improved to continue to grow and compete with Shopify.

Ryan G.

Started using last year, like it compared to other top platforms

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Pros

No transaction/set up fees, robust in terms of platforms you can sell on, support is top notch and responsive. I call it the "Wordpress" of ecommerce

Cons

Not many free themes to choose from, and those that are free aren't very good, so you'll need to plan on paying for a nice theme and setup. Can be pricey depending on which tier you fall into.

Tatiana H.

their design partners design skills in my opinion are mediocre

Reviewed on 2012/01/13

It's just ok I have a simple store. My issue with BG is all of the "have our design partners" design your site promo. And their design partners design skills in my opinion are mediocre. I designed my site and took days to figure out their coding file systems and to decipher their %global% meanings to finally get the look I want of my site and it's a simple design but professional. You can't even ask them a question on changing a color unless some design partner comes in the thread promoting. And the reps tell you "we can't answer that" and I just had a simple color change question (wanted to change a thumbnail color of 1 item only, the way the css files are it would've changed everything)! It's easy to use in a way BUT again they have all of these %global% jargon that you have to decode. I program and design and I had another designer try to help me he gave up and he designed big time sites.

Pros

It's cheap.

Cons

Read the first section. You can't edit the mobile site design. You can finally edit the email templates but again it's in the %global% jargon only way to see the email look is to do a test account = time wasting.

Mark A.

It is a good product but wouldn't allow you to play openly due to limitations

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

Value for money, and easy to get started. Very good customer support and easy to integrate and update any information.

Cons

There are not many apps/softwares to integrate/implement to use like in Shopify. And there are limitations to customize checkouts etc.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Good

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Pros

The content is very helpful and gives me knowledge on what I do specially in the business side . It helps a lot

Cons

None so far . But sometimes it maybe more beneficial if it easy to understand as sometimes thats hard to understand.