BigCommerce Reviews

Nickolas
  • Industry: Publishing

The Perfect Solution For My Needs

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

I have been using BigCommerce for the past year to run my online store, and I am extremely satisfied with its performance. One of the standout features of this software is its robust and user-friendly e-commerce platform. It's easy to set up and manage products, process orders, and handle shipping and tax calculations.Another feature that I really appreciate is the integration with various payment gateways, such as PayPal and Stripe. This has made it easy for me to accept payments from my customers and has streamlined my checkout process.Overall, I highly recommend BigCommerce to any business owner looking for a reliable and feature-rich e-commerce platform. Its many features and intuitive design make it a valuable asset for any online store.

Pros

One of the biggest benefits of BigCommerce is its comprehensive marketing and SEO tools. These tools have helped me to effectively promote my products and drive traffic to my store. For example, I have used the built-in email marketing tool to send targeted campaigns to my customers, and I have used the SEO tools to optimize my product pages for search engines.

Cons

BigCommerce provides a wide range of features and functionality, but some users may find that they are limited in their ability to customize certain aspects of their store. For example, users may not be able to fully customize the design or layout of their store, or they may be limited in their ability to add custom functionality or integrations.

Jason
  • Industry: Printing

Easy to use but they didn't have my back

Reviewed on 2021/07/22

At first it was great, but as they got bigger they didn't seem to value my business the same way and forced me to pay almost 3 times what I had agreed to. I was happy to switch to a competitor when I did.

Pros

I liked that it was very easy to figure out. It was updated regularly and laid out nicely. I built my first e-commerce store on my own using this software.

Cons

I kept hitting walls with what I wanted to do. Some of the features were limiting like "Options" and I kept hoping they would improved them. They also made a change to their pricing structure and took away Customer Groups on the plan I was on. It was $29/mo and then all of a sudden it was $79/mo. I wish they grandfathered me in. When I called to complain or work something out, they had a take it or leave it attitude... so I left it.

Jen
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Used to be a fan … this is so bad

Reviewed on 2023/07/14

I had a Big Commerce site in 2012 that I absolutely loved. We left the platform for a while and came back in the end of 2017. For a while things were pretty smooth. However, Big Commerce recommended me to a developer to build our site. They charged me $40,000and built a fully custom site that only they could work on so that they could earn another $3000 to $4000 a month. This is actually a good part of my experience with Big Commerce . It was impossible to find anyone who knew how to work on the platform and all of the “preferred partners “did not know a number less than $40,000. Such a racket and a total scam. In 2020, I had all of the customizations removed and began to take care of the site myself. I was an enterprise client with dedicated level to support which was generally quite helpful. However, due to slower business from the pandemic, I really negotiated my rate in early 2023 to $1000 per month . apparently, that's not enough money to get decent support. They dropped me back to level one Support and often times the people I got new less than I did. I do not have the patience for that especially not paying that kind of money. I reached out to the [sensitive content hidden] and was told by him personally that they weren’t going to do anything to help me. So I moved my Store to Shopify Plus. By the way, I was able to fully build the Shopify plus store all on my own have never built a site before. The tools made it quite easy to make a site that was far superior to my Big Commerce site in

Pros

Cons

Treat me like I am stupid . Then make changes to the platform without informing anybody that have on numerous occasions cost my company money. They charge WAY too much for how basic the platform is

Asher
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

BigCommerce is a great online store solution.

Reviewed on 2021/06/07

We have used BigCommerce for over 6 years, and it has proved to be a fantastic online store solution, offering a simple interface, every feature you need, ease of payment for customers, and simple integration.

Pros

Order management is the strongest point of BigCommerce, and that is exactly what you want from an online store. Integration is simple and accurate, reporting and analytics are comprehensive, and the scalable pricing structure is the cherry on top. An excellent product.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about BigCommerce. Oh wait, I thought of one - Stop asking me to change my password every 3 months - it's annoying !

WooCommerce

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

We use both, but I feel BigCommerce is the better solution. It offers more features.
Harsha

Best online platform for start-ups and beginners to innovate business.

Reviewed on 2021/03/31

This platform helps in starting a new business for starters. The user interface is user friendly in which the products can be built easily with great security. The support in this Application is very helpful in expanding the products over the globe.

Pros

The feature available in this application helps to learn about the current market and help us to build the dedicated products. The marketing of our products online through different applications like Instagram helps in a major Part. The user interface and Mobile user friendly is very helpful. The detailed marketing helps in developing the business overall the globe.

Cons

The themes while building the platform is quite expensive and editing feature can be added which helps in major role. The interface can be improved.

Tim
  • Industry: Automotive

Big Commerce is our go to platform when developing e-commerce websites for clients.

Reviewed on 2021/12/09

Excellent. There are a few things that make it harder to sell to clients, but overall, it is an amazing platform and they are constantly trying to make it better.

Pros

Ease of use, customization and reliability. We develop custom Big Commerce e-commerce websites on a regular basis and this is our preferred platform.

Cons

Monthly price is based on trailing 12 months of sales. I understand why it is this way, but for clients with higher priced products, they quickly exceed the maximums. Big Commerce competitors do not have the same business / pricing model which makes it a little harder to sell to potential clients because of this pricing strategy.

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

Ease of customization, works better for the automotive industry.
seth
  • Industry: Automotive

Excellent Shopping cart system that keeps getting better

Reviewed on 2021/07/22

Pros

The interface is extremely easy to use. I love how easy it is to add new products or modify existing products. The developers are constantly improving the shopping cart and adding new features.

Cons

Sometimes when new features are added it causes a problem with the website. Customer service has been extremely helpful in quickly fixing any of these issues.

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

At the time, big commerce had better pricing for a large catalogue of items.
Clint

BigCommerce is great for your online business.

Reviewed on 2023/02/20

Pros

Big Commerce is very easy to use and integrates with many other small business software providers. My website looks great!

Cons

I have had no issues with Big Commerce other than my payment provider (Square) losing sync with the website every 30 days. This issue has been corrected though.

Wix, Square Online, Squarespace and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

I felt that Big Commerce offered a great value and was easier to use than the other platforms that I previewed.
Hikmat

Its great website platform for the mid size companies

Reviewed on 2022/04/07

1- It provides more customization opportunity in comparison with the prebuilt website platforms
2-...

2- Multi-warehouse functionality is better
3 - Integration with the custom made warehouse management system is better
4- You can add almost unlimited product variants

Pros

With this website we able to integrate multi-store inventories and track the sales

Cons

If we able to minimize the price or have at least 10% discount it would be better.

Chad
Chad

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

Reviewed on 2018/11/18

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier.

There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great.

The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress.

They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable.

For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages.

And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal

The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email.

I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

Brien
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Lack of innovation

Reviewed on 2020/10/27

tech support is great. Would I make the change now that i know what I know about how big commerce just cares about apps and not making the features native I would have not picked them.

Pros

It is stable. User interface is good. Best Tech support I have ever had from a shopping cart.

Cons

Big Commerce is missing may native features that other shopping carts have already built in. The number one feature is instock notify you have to pay for and since they have apps for it they will never make it native. There store search is one of the worst but f you pay for a app you can get a better search. Also problem when you do find a app there is a big chance that support for the app is a hit or miss.

Adobe Commerce, Shift4Shop and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce

Volusion raised there rate from 525.00 per month to 1950 per month.

Volusion
Christine
  • Industry: Plastics

Big Commerce Works for Harman

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

Pros

I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

Cons

The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

Tom
  • Industry: Wholesale

It Does The Job. What You Would Expect For An Ecommerce Site.

Reviewed on 2021/01/07

We have been using BigCommerce for quite some time now. No so thrill about it nor are we dissatisfied with the platform. For what we need, it does the job. But we would not make it our go-to platform if we need specific function or customization. It seems there's almost little to no guide out there if we want to customize. We have to seek a developer who knows how to customize BigCommerce and even then, they charge quite a bit for what we needed. Would recommend for people who want a basic ecommerce site. But if you want to have customization, Big Commerce is not the way to go.

Pros

It is quick to set up. Easy for a non-technical person to manage when starting out with little to no experience in ecommerce. Has everything you would expect from an e-commerce platform. Great layout for product and checkout page.

Cons

Customization is very limited. Even when you try to get some tech support from their team. They tell you they're not developer and would suggest some options with using their partners services. There's very little help if you want to customize basic attributes. The platform setup is quite limited if you want to change specific part of the layout.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Ecommerce Platform with Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2020/04/16

In general, I am very satisfied with the product. It serves its purpose for a reliable and easy to set up ecommerce platform with lowmaintenance cost.

Pros

Although the platform offers a lot of features for an ecommerce business to be able to run daily operations and analyze data, my favourite part by far is the fact that it has a great customer service. Every time when there is an issue with the website or we have questions, we can chat with a representative from Bigcommerce. Their customer service is very reliable and knowledgeable. No waiting on the phone, no back and fort transferring between reps. Technical support is right there for you.

Cons

I wish there were more applications that can be easily integrated. Compared to Shopify, Bigcommerce doesn't offer as vast variety of options.

WooCommerce and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

Gift Card feature out of the box.
Adam
  • Industry: Public Safety

BigCommerce Review

Reviewed on 2020/07/06

It works, and we need the software as we couldn't integrate two Shopify stores into our ERP. I hope we can expect BigCommerce to keep adding features because they really do have a lot of catching up to do.

Pros

We stated using BigCommerce as the software behind our new website redesign. We like the ease of setting up the products, product customization and the large pool of experienced companies that design BigCommerce storefronts. It was easy to get setup and our new website was running in about 6 months.

Cons

The order management system they have in place is just not good. You cannot edit orders. Which customers expect us to be able to do. If a customer wants to add an item you can add the item, but you cannot charge the customer for the additional item within BigCommerce software. Same goes with removing items from orders. If you remove an item from an order it does not give you an option to refund the difference. You have to do that outside BigCommerce software.

Our website has been live on BigCommerce for about 4 weeks now and we just experienced our fist "outage" in over 5 years. So I am not optimistic about uptime since the site has already gone down once, and it has only been live for 4 weeks.

Using BigCommerce it is hard to search for and find orders, even if you have an order number you are redirected to the "advanced search". Instead of being able to type in an order number and find the order you have to type in the number, wait for the advanced search page to load then type in the order number again. Come...on...guys.

The same with product search. I can copy and paste a product name directly from our storefront, search in BigCommerce, then I get redirected to another "advanced search" page. Where I have to enter the SAME SEARCH again, then I get results.

We are on an "enterprise" plan that in some ways, has less features than a store we run on a "basic" Shopify plan for less than 1/3 the cost.

Inventory tracking is also not great.

Good Platform but has some fatal flaws

Reviewed on 2023/06/05

Not bad for simple stores. Support is responsive, but isn't very helpful. It's strange how many times I've contact developer support and said oops, looks like we don't have documentation for that. They roll out upgrades to their backend that are still very buggy.

Pros

Easy product management, plenty of payment gateways available, decent theme store. Handles product options / variants better than Shopify. Has some good B2B / wholesale features out of the box.

Cons

Themes are over bloated with way too many files. You can't edit the CSS and JS files online. Makes relatively easy changes (on other platforms) too time consuming. Often suffers from indexing delays and/ or caching issues so that your changes or new products you add take 30+ minutes to show up on the site. Main navigation menu is automated. You have to either hard code a menu or use an app if you want customizations to your menu. Stencil CLI can either work smoothly for editing themes or you'll spend hours chasing down compatibility issues. No way in store to easily find orphan pages.

WooCommerce and Shopify
Amir

Very good and reasonably priced

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons

Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

Peter

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it.

Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros

Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons

I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me.

There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none.

Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

Bianca L.
Bianca L.

It's okay.

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Pros

We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons

Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

Rebecca

I love BigCommerce

Reviewed on 2021/06/30

Whenever an order is placed, I see it immediately in my email. I print the invoice, pass off to my staff, and they process using Ship Station, which is integrated through BigCommerce. All of our sales are saved and easy to search through on BigCommerce. When working with changing the look, etc., of the site, very easy to do. Customer service. Love the live chat option, and whenever I call I can talk with someone very quickly. Excellent service.

Pros

My business is a healthcare practice with a brick and mortar shop and online store for purchasing products and services. BigCommerce has been so easy to work with. I have been with them for some 10 years plus and couldn't be more satisfied. Customer service is top-notch, fast, and always available 24/7.

Cons

I want to be able to go in and make a printable catalogue. I don't know that any software provides that, so not a complaint.

A quick start platform with very good expanded features

Reviewed on 2021/03/04

Really a very good platform for a large variety of business sizes. It's not just for the little guys, its expandable and will grow with you.

Pros

This platform is quick and easy to setup, it also has advanced promotion features that many other platforms do not.

Cons

Some of the connected features are harder to manage than expected.

Richelle

Good option for small businesses

Reviewed on 2018/01/15

Pros

Big Commerce in general is very easy to use. The ecommerce site that we set up looks lovely, and seems to work most of the time. Looks professional and syncs well with paypal to process payment.

Cons

There have been a few times that our site went down for unexplained reasons. Luckily customers have let us know and it was resolved quickly once we reached out to bigcommerce, but it is disconcerting that it went down in the first place. One time all of our products just disappeared. BigCommerce support was able to find them and re-establish all, but still not sure why that happened. This software seems expensive for a small business with a small budget, and then to have issues like this. They did not offer a refund or anything, and we have no way of knowing how long our site was down for.

Melissa

Big Commerce

Reviewed on 2021/09/20

Our overall experience with BigCommerce was excellent. The customer service team was always available. The site features were easy to navigate and the theme options were professionally designed.

Pros

Big Commerce features and website themes are perfect for small business owners who are looking to start a retail business.

Cons

The platform is not set up for multi-vendor marketplace stores.

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce

Store features, themes, and customer service
Moises

Perfect tool to develop an eCommerce

Reviewed on 2021/06/02

Since we use BigCommerce it is easier to develop websites, in other platforms the development time is longer, with this tool in one day I can have my store online.

Pros

This platform is perfect for creating an online store, it has too many themes and applications to complement the website, it is easy to use and anyone without previous experience in web development can do it. I also like that the security of the website is excellent.

Cons

I think the bad thing about this site is that they don't allow you to export the website, only some features like products, customers and some basic features. The code of the website belongs to them, so if I want to migrate to Wordpress for example, it is not possible.

Jaye
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Great ecomm site for your business

Reviewed on 2023/08/10

I like the metrics & the options available

I like the metrics & the options available

Pros

Customer support is great, they get you fixed up really quick

Cons

nothing really. Maybe could include a few more features for the base pricing. other than that, it's great