BigCommerce

4,2
4,2
Nathan K.
Industry: Sporting Goods

Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros

Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons

Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

Margaret M.
Industry: Design

Great e-commmerce platform if you can't afford custom designs but have a large inventory of products

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

The company I worked for had a B2B e-commerce website, but wanted to start a second e-commerce site that was more B2C focused since the clientele had different needs, and the B2B site was not set up to accommodate all the new B2C business. We were able to set it up quickly and provide accurate shipping costs and product option costs.

Pros

I loved the versatility available for building product pages, being able to set it up so pricing adjusts automatically for different product options, and the import/export functions to update large inventories via Excel documents instead of manually editing within the web app.

Cons

Initial setup can be confusing, especially when new to e-commerce and knowing how to tell it to calculate tax, shipping, etc. Their customer service is great though, so if you're confused about a setting you can call and talk to someone very quickly. I rarely ever waited more than 5 minutes to talk to a rep.

Alana K.

Definitely better than Shopify

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Pros

I like the customer support, usually they can help with any problem. Their stores do a good job out of the box but for me, with over $10,000 products, it was a headache!

Cons

I guess everyone is always looking for more flexibility. Their confirmation, invoice, etc. emails are the worst!

Chad W.
Industry: Internet

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/18

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier.

There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great.

The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress.

They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable.

For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages.

And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal

The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email.

I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Tom B.
Industry: Building Materials

Big Commerce Web Development E-Commere

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

All-in-all, BigCommerce is fairly easy to use and I am happy with the template selection. But, the key is some of the plug-ins like Shogun.

Pros

Once I got the hang of using plug-in software like ShoGun for landing page development, BigCommerce became pretty easy to use.

Cons

The software is not as customizable as I would like. I wanted to add size selection to a base item. But, instead, I had to list multiple size variations of the same product color.

Mark K.
Industry: Retail

Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store.

Reviewed on 2020/02/21

I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

Pros

The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

Cons

There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

Christine P.
Industry: Plastics

Big Commerce Works for Harman

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

Pros

I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

Cons

The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

Industry: Retail

A great tool for customizable templates

Reviewed on 2020/01/15

I love it. It offers additional features like my online store's SEO, drop shipping, etc.

Pros

Love the templates available for my store and customization options.

Cons

Price difference between the level of subscriptions can be a little high. Some basic features fall into a higher subscription.

Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Great for Small Businesses

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/03/17

Bigcommerce helped our business to start with a webpage. The customer service is great and they are always open to new ideas.

Pros

The ease of using Bigcommerce was a huge plus for our business. It was easy to navigate and program the software to fit our business needs.

Cons

The options for adding different clothing options didn’t exist making it difficult for our customers to choose their sizes in the drop down sections.

Samin S.
Industry: Computer Games

Bigcommerce Review

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/07/26

My overall experience with Bigcommerce is undoubtedly excellent. It would have been better if they considered to lower the price of this mesmerising software.

Pros

I loved the fact that I could easily build my site the way I want without coding a single line. It's easy for beginners to start designing your first e-commerce site even if you don't know how to build sites

Cons

I worst thing about this is I think it's overpriced. For the price it doesn't have that much features. The overall value doesn't match with the pricing

Rick C.
Industry: Computer Hardware

If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider.

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros

BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time.

PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork.

Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional.

Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons

Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years.

Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

Jennifer H.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Love it!

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Pros

We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

Cons

There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Renata A.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great E-Commerce Solution!

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

It's a pleasant and delightful experience. It is a robust e-commerce solution for B2B, B2C and Wholesalers.

Pros

At our agency, we were used to working with WooCommerce, Shopify and we had never really worked with BigCommerce. Until we decided that it was time to step things up for one of our clients. We had a delightful surprise to see that BigCommerce is one of the most complete platforms out there, that is extremely user friendly whilst being robust and complete.

You have every type of solution you can imagine within your platform. From Wholesale B2B to a simple one page shop, you can build it all. BigCommerce offers amazing templates you can choose from, and also the Cornerstone which is a blank canvas.

As an agency, we've gone through the partnership process and we are officially a part of BigCommerce marketplace!

Cons

What I don't like is how the development can be a bit different than what we're accustomed to, and not as user friendly as Wordpress. For instance, on Wordpress our team can set up the background in a friendly way for our customers to use and manipulate sections without the need of a developer 24hs helping them.

Now as far as BigCommerce goes, the way some pages are set up require you to have an intermediate understanding of HTML if you want to manipulate some text and imagery.

I find this quite difficult since our clients are the ones changing content on the website once we hand it off to them.

Industry: Food & Beverages

Ecommerce Platform with Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2020/04/16

In general, I am very satisfied with the product. It serves its purpose for a reliable and easy to set up ecommerce platform with lowmaintenance cost.

Pros

Although the platform offers a lot of features for an ecommerce business to be able to run daily operations and analyze data, my favourite part by far is the fact that it has a great customer service. Every time when there is an issue with the website or we have questions, we can chat with a representative from Bigcommerce. Their customer service is very reliable and knowledgeable. No waiting on the phone, no back and fort transferring between reps. Technical support is right there for you.

Cons

I wish there were more applications that can be easily integrated. Compared to Shopify, Bigcommerce doesn't offer as vast variety of options.

Adam M.
Industry: Public Safety

BigCommerce Review

Reviewed on 2020/07/06

It works, and we need the software as we couldn't integrate two Shopify stores into our ERP. I hope we can expect BigCommerce to keep adding features because they really do have a lot of catching up to do.

Pros

We stated using BigCommerce as the software behind our new website redesign. We like the ease of setting up the products, product customization and the large pool of experienced companies that design BigCommerce storefronts. It was easy to get setup and our new website was running in about 6 months.

Cons

The order management system they have in place is just not good. You cannot edit orders. Which customers expect us to be able to do. If a customer wants to add an item you can add the item, but you cannot charge the customer for the additional item within BigCommerce software. Same goes with removing items from orders. If you remove an item from an order it does not give you an option to refund the difference. You have to do that outside BigCommerce software.

Our website has been live on BigCommerce for about 4 weeks now and we just experienced our fist "outage" in over 5 years. So I am not optimistic about uptime since the site has already gone down once, and it has only been live for 4 weeks.

Using BigCommerce it is hard to search for and find orders, even if you have an order number you are redirected to the "advanced search". Instead of being able to type in an order number and find the order you have to type in the number, wait for the advanced search page to load then type in the order number again. Come...on...guys.

The same with product search. I can copy and paste a product name directly from our storefront, search in BigCommerce, then I get redirected to another "advanced search" page. Where I have to enter the SAME SEARCH again, then I get results.

We are on an "enterprise" plan that in some ways, has less features than a store we run on a "basic" Shopify plan for less than 1/3 the cost.

Inventory tracking is also not great.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Daniel Q.
Industry: Automotive

Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates

Pros

-Very reliable
-Speed Website
-Friendly user
-able to sync to 3rd parties app
-good pricing
-simply to use

Cons

-lack of templates options
-lack of options that other competitors have
-freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template
-limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

Katherine C.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

It's a good platform

Reviewed on 2020/10/17

At some point we always found ourselves strengthening the site and working it on Wordpress, at least for the coding and styling. Bigcommerce for the product set up and integration with google shopping was effective.

Pros

The good thing is that you don’t have to buy web hosting or install anything on your computer to use it, since it's hosted. It has a good amount of templates you can explore. Despite it is thought for people less into web designing, it also allows more tech-savvy users and developers to apply some HTML and CSS styling.

Cons

You really need to evaluate well the plan that will help you the most according to your business growing strategy, if not, you'll feel limited. Review the transactions fees and the sale limits.

Amir B.
Industry: Retail

Very good and reasonably priced

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons

Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

Industry: Internet

Great platform to built your own website

Reviewed on 2019/11/30

Bigcommerce is a good platform to built websites. It offers separate plans with very different features so it allows you to find what works for you.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a great platform for small businesses or businesses in general that do not have a great budget to start developing their e-commerce. We have adopted this solution for a couple of our clients. The main features we have encountered so far are:Very easy to set up and to use. The dashboard is very easy to understand so people with little knowledge on the backend can work with it without difficulties.There are no limits on the products you can list on the online store so it works well for business for multiple skus.When building the online store, you have multiple templates to choose from and many options as different payment getaways in order to personalize your online store.The standard plan is ok and comes with nice features as the giftcard options

Cons

The main con is that the plan prices are slightly higher than similar tools. There are some features that might worth the cost but when considering options check if they might be useful for your business, otherwise a cheaper alternative might be a better option
Templates are ok, but just a few ones are for free.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Great E-Commerce Platform for Both B2C and B2B Companies

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

We have a consistent revenue stream of active customers on our website daily. We are able to process these and ship them within the BigC system. It makes all of our employees' day-to-day processes so much easier.

Pros

Customization, ability to have product variants and options, filtered search on the category pages and search pages.

Cons

Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening. It's often mediated with a day or two but the initial message can be cumbersome.

Rob S.
Industry: Public Safety

Big Commerce Review

Reviewed on 2018/08/06

We realized we needed a larger, more stable platform for our 110,000+ customers and Big C was a perfect fit for our company.

Pros

The Big Commerce platform is very easy to use and set up for your website. Very simple to set up shipping values and even payment systems. There is an app store within the back end that is FULL of additions you can add to your store. We use about 9 apps that range from SEO to live visitors on the website and analytics of where they are from and what pages / products they are looking at. I highly recommend Big Commerce mostly because of the ease of use and the 24/7 customer phone support you receive. Anytime I have had an issue or couldn't figure something out, I called them and they answered the question normally within 5 minutes.

Cons

The only con I have is the price may be a little high compared to other ecommerce platforms, but you get what you pay for and this is the best platform with ZERO down time and best support we have ever had in operating our business for the past 12 years.

Peter E.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it.

Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros

Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons

I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me.

There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none.

Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

Joe A.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Good platform depending on your business needs.

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

We use Bigcommerce to run our E-commerce business. Overall, we are satisfied with the platform and it gets the job done.

Pros

The layout is fairly easy to navigate and the support team is helpful when we have issues. We went with Bigcommerce because we were having issues with Shopify with the timing and capturing of payments.

Cons

Bigcommerce is very limited in design options when compared to platforms such as Shopify, Wordpress and Magento. I would recommend going with one of them depending on your business needs.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Bianca l. P.

It's okay.

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Pros

We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons

Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Ron C.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Some Ups and Downs, but I'm a Loyal User All the Same

Reviewed on 2019/12/19

I signed up when they were fairly new to the market, and have seen the company change hands, grow, and make changes to the product. It's not been a perfect experience, but I've never really considered changing platforms because of any issues I've had. At the end of the day, BigCommerce lets me run my site without having to think too much about the web-side of things.

Pros

I love the general ease of use on the front end, while having a massive amount of control on the back end. Pricing has gone up over the years, but has always been fair in my opinion. With BigCommerce, I was able to single handedly set up my own online shop, add products, design the site based on their templates, and then stop back and focus on the day-to-day tasks of running a business.

Cons

Their inability to have a robust iPhone app or even a truly useable mobile admin site is inexcusable in 2019. Customer service is usually good, but I've also had some fairly rough experiences.