BigCommerce Reviews

BigCommerce

Redefining Enterprise Ecommerce

4.3/5 (128 reviews)
Rick C.

If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider.

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros

BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time.

PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork.

Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional.

Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons

Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years.

Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

Daniel Q.

Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates

Pros

-Very reliable
-Speed Website
-Friendly user
-able to sync to 3rd parties app
-good pricing
-simply to use

Cons

-lack of templates options
-lack of options that other competitors have
-freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template
-limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

Rob S.

Big Commerce Review

Reviewed on 2018/08/06

We realized we needed a larger, more stable platform for our 110,000+ customers and Big C was a perfect fit for our company.

Pros

The Big Commerce platform is very easy to use and set up for your website. Very simple to set up shipping values and even payment systems. There is an app store within the back end that is FULL of additions you can add to your store. We use about 9 apps that range from SEO to live visitors on the website and analytics of where they are from and what pages / products they are looking at. I highly recommend Big Commerce mostly because of the ease of use and the 24/7 customer phone support you receive. Anytime I have had an issue or couldn't figure something out, I called them and they answered the question normally within 5 minutes.

Cons

The only con I have is the price may be a little high compared to other ecommerce platforms, but you get what you pay for and this is the best platform with ZERO down time and best support we have ever had in operating our business for the past 12 years.

Peter E.

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it.

Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros

Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons

I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me.

There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none.

Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

Bianca l. P.

It's okay.

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Pros

We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons

Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

6.0/10

An excellent hosting e-commerce platform with almost all enterprise features

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

We have migrated our Magento 1 site to BigCommerce after ongoing frustration with Magento 2.3 extension quality and caching issues. We've achieved a lot in a 2 week period and launched in a month.

Pros

The stability of it is great. The admin UI is very easy to use and intuitive. It has advanced pricing controls and other B2B features. The templates are great and we really saved a lot of time with a customization. If you have strong e-commerce skills in house, I honestly believe you can be live in a month or two. We found ourselves solving lots of problems that we'd normally require a developer for. It's very robust if you can stay on its rails. There are a lot of plug-ins, although some are expensive with monthly subscriptions.

Cons

The standard shipping features are very lacking and basic, and the solution is to use a plug-in. Although a free account with the plug-in is provided, it's inadequate and a subscription ended up costing us hundreds of dollars a month. The shipping system is even inadequate for basic stores. It's also lacking some functionality like product priority within categories, and limits faceted filters to 12 which required us to re-jig a bit of stuff and remove some filters. So the merchandising can be limiting at times. We could also do with native support for SVG images, and a static block CMS.

Support is slow and you can be waiting 2 days for a reply. So although it is easy to use, if you do hit a wall, you need to wait a while for support. However, even with these caveats, we still found it to be a better solution to what we were using.

Richelle R.

Good option for small businesses

Reviewed on 2018/01/15

Pros

Big Commerce in general is very easy to use. The ecommerce site that we set up looks lovely, and seems to work most of the time. Looks professional and syncs well with paypal to process payment.

Cons

There have been a few times that our site went down for unexplained reasons. Luckily customers have let us know and it was resolved quickly once we reached out to bigcommerce, but it is disconcerting that it went down in the first place. One time all of our products just disappeared. BigCommerce support was able to find them and re-establish all, but still not sure why that happened. This software seems expensive for a small business with a small budget, and then to have issues like this. They did not offer a refund or anything, and we have no way of knowing how long our site was down for.

Great service and software

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

We currently have two web sites on Bigcommerce, and it's overall a great service for ecommerce. They are set up to help you succeed with SEO, they're available 24/7 with customer support and if there is something customer support can't do for you, there is a large selection of partners who can help you customize your store. I've learned and grown a lot as an e-marketer in the years that we've been using 'BC', and it's still a great fit for us and our needs.

Pros

easy to use and set up with great customer service as long as you call. don't do the live chat

Cons

sometimes they'll update the interface and something will move unexpectedly from one tab to another, which can be confusing until you figure out where it went. Live chat customer service is often not great.

BigCommerce Support can't be beat

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

BigCommerce support and the platform has been easy to use and I would recommend this over some of the other sites that my client use.

Pros

I have built several eCommerce stores on BigCommerce for my clients and I continue to be impressed with the support that BigCommerce provides. In this day when you very rarely get to talk to a human, it is greatly appreciated. I build sites that the product requires a lot of custom options and the staff is always coming up with ways to help me figure out the best way to build these options.

Cons

There is little not to like. With the new Stencil themes it is not as easy to edit templates for someone like me who is not a developer.

Chad W.

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/18

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier.

There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great.

The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress.

They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable.

For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages.

And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal

The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email.

I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

2.0/10
Ivan R.

A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/10/28

We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered.

We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

Pros

Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc

No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items.

Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

Cons

Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders...

Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store.

In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player).

Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

6.0/10

Small Commerce

Reviewed on 2019/03/15

BigCommerce has allowed us to have an online store, but the manual processes related to it make the cost of having the site higher than expected. Simple things like a minimum order have to be coded in. If you are a midsize company, you might want to consider another platform.

Pros

Ability to have an online presence cheaply and easily.

Cons

Big Commerce doesn't allow for (and isn't even familiar with) level 3 processing for credit cards. The site also does not have a setting to establish the minimum amount of an order. Editing information about products is cumbersome; unless you are willing to export the entire contents of the site and feel comfortable importing it without problems.

7.0/10
Toby M.

well rounded eCommerce solution

Reviewed on 2017/12/12
Review Source

Pros

BigCommerce is easy to set up and use; provides a lot template to begin with and you can also customize your site. The new releases Stencil theme performs better than the old template but also requires more skills to develop and manage the template. Manage and process order is easy too. Overall a great eCommerce tool for online business. They are also adding features all the time. Support is good too.

Cons

Some feature is lacking or still under development. very limited coupon settings customization and other few customization features but they said they are working on improving those features.

An elegant platform, just lacking some features found elsewhere.

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/04/14

Pros

Beautiful and modern themes allow you to easily make a website that will attract customers into your online store or blog. There are numerous customization options, such as embedding another website's video, photo, blog post, etc. You can customize nearly any aspect of the website, like background, font, color, and the like. Making a store is simple as well, and they only charge a flat fee, so adding additional options is easy and doesn't cost anything extra, which isn't the case with some comparable competitors.

Cons

While the themes themselves are quite customizable, there is a very limited quantity of different themes to choose from in the first place (before you start customizing them), which leads each customization of a specific theme to end up looking and feeling somewhat similar. So, if too many people use a certain theme, it could end up becoming recognizable and seeming like a website version of a "stock photo". Fleshed out websites fully loaded with features and add-ons can be slow to load and have longer response times.

7.0/10
Eric A.

Powers both of our company websites and performs amazingly!

Reviewed on 2018/05/21

Pros

There are a lot of things to love. Integrating this with Netsuite or Fishbowl ERP's is fairly easy and makes your life much easier. We've been able to maintain our companies on these sites since the very beginning of 4 employees and 1 customers all the way to 70+ employees and more than 1,000 customers. Makes our life very easy and makes growing an e-commerce company much easier.

Cons

Have had growing pains early on since we were one of the first companies it seems to what to integrate Fishbowl but once the initial setup and processes were hashed out most things went smoother.

Caitlin D.

Bigcommerce has given our growing business great insight to the e-commerce world.

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Pros

Ease of use. This has been useful when training new hires. It is very easy to use.

The navigation is very straight forward. When dealing with customers it is very helpful.

Webinars are appreciated. We used them frequently when looking into selling on Amazon.

Support portal is straight forward when a problem arises.

Cons

I do not like the analytics page. I do not find them effective. I wish they were easier to use and gave you straight forward data on the dashboard.

Customizing reports is a challenge as well. This should be easier to use and more intuitive.

Andrea S.

A Great E-Commerce Platform

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

We were moving from old platforms like Yahoo and wanted a modern platform that allowed room for customization. BigCommerce completely satisfied our demands!

Pros

BigCommerce is the best option for e-commerce. It has so many options to customize your web store, manage orders, and market to customers. It has a very robust content management system and you can fully transform your design into something unique. It's inventory management is also perfect for organizing, updating and selling catalogs of products.

Cons

There is a learning curve to BigCommerce and a lot of features must be paid for.

Richard W.

Easy to use, full-featured shopping cart and website builder

Reviewed on 2017/12/27

Easy to use, all-in-one solution.

Pros

I love that it is an All-In-One solution. It can build your website with shopping cart included is just a few easy steps. Their support is great too if you run into any difficulties. They offer lots of different shipping options, purchasing options (Credit Card, Paypal etc), there is also a big community if you want to do things that are not built in.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little hard to make modifications to things that aren't naturally supported by bigcommerce when editing the template but the community helps a lot.

Matt G.

Would switch if I could find something better

Reviewed on 2018/03/30

Pros

Easy to get up and running. Features are some of the best offered in this class. Pricing doesn't take a cut off of sales.

Cons

Many advanced features lacking or cost extra, like filtered search and navigation. Bugs are fixed and new features are added based on number of requests as opposed to the severity or need of the fix or feature. As a result, some bugs can persist for years if only a few people have reported them. No release notes or detailed info on updates. Overall it seems the company is still run more like a startup as instead of an established company that's accountable to their customers. Seems they focus more on doing things that get them headlines, marketing material, and talking points instead of what most meets their customer's needs. They can be quite tonedeaf when it comes to understanding the way retail works and what the needs of small businesses really are. It's quite a shame as there is a lot of potential. The only reason I stay is because either the better platforms are unaffordable (Magento, Demandware, Netsuite, Miva, etc) or the ones comparable in price lack essential features or have their own problems that I can't workaround (Shopify, Volusion, etc.) So I'm stuck until we grow more. Don't get me wrong, they have improved greatly in the 6 years I've been with them, but they have a long way to go.

4.0/10

Great for getting started.

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

I have used BigCommerce personally for many years and have never been offline or had any technical issues. I have also set up stores for clients and was happy to see that they could learn to use the system with minimal training.

Pros

Launching a new store on BigCommerce couldn't be easier. They have an onramp that is very smooth. They also have excellent integrations with third-party software like MailChimp.

Cons

BigCommerce email hosting is just OK, and really not well supported. They actually recommend hosting email elsewhere.

Julie B.

I have used BigCommerce to build two ecommerce stores for a client; a consumer site and a wholesale

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

I learned a lot about selling online and selling through channels. Using this software I was made aware of other types of software as a service products that were useful for my other clients.

Pros

It took me a while to get used to the new management dashboard when BigCommerce upgraded to the new platform, but I am getting to know my way around. I like the integration to manage various channels through the dashboard. The reports are very informational to keep up on sales.

Cons

The coupon or discount codes are sometimes hard to configure based on the type of offer you would like to do. It would be nice to be able to set a time of day for an offer to expire. My client's customer had a customer ID. It would be nice if you could add a customer ID to match your offline accounting and shipping software . A lot of features my customer would like would require an developer.

Stacy W.

Very User Friendly Shopping Cart Application

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Ease of use, efficient product maintenance, etc.

Pros

I love the fact that most of the coding has been done for the user. The program is so user friendly, that anyone could easily have a website up and running within a day or so.

Cons

Bigcommerce has a great shipping set up for individual products. I would like to see their developers provide an "in-house" dim-weight shipping solution. This would give them a huge advantage over their competitors.

Michael J.

INCREDIBLE E-Commerce Platform... will NEVER use another!!!

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

Seamless. Minimal effort. When I need service, its there. Most times I can figure out everything I need using their online documentation and forums.

Pros

Simple and easy to use, but its Big Commerce's customer service that earns them the crown of King of E-Commerce platforms.

Cons

Not really a BAD thing, but they are always adding features that usually are of no use to me..... but hey, they work well for SOMEONE.

Ayub A.

Bigcommerce growing rapidly as CMS

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Overall as a developer i have been using this product from almost a year & found this product quite friendly even in setting up & in customizing it.

Pros

I have been customizing this product for my customers regularly & much familiar with underlying APIs & design. I found this product very helpful for someone who wants to grow business online. Here's the list of pros i observe from that product.

Store management is very easy.
Shipping handling is also quite easy.
Its Secure
Its give live support 24/7
All in one solution
Its easy to customize
API guide is too easy

Cons

Few of the cons i found if not there this product will grow more rapidly.

Its limited theme library
Its Lillie expensive for newbie

Marcella S.

Love the shopping cart

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Pros

I like the ease of use and the 24/7 customer service.

Cons

I think it is expensive for what you get. Also when I purchased it I was told that the tech team would understand that I needed assistance hooking up my affiliate panel to the system. They had no idea what I was talking about and I had to figure it out myself, which meant I paid for the system way before I could use it.