14 180 reviews

Mailchimp

Email and advertising marketing automation platform

14 180 reviews
Briana M.
  • Industry: Building Materials

User Friendly - new updates have been amazing.

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

Overall, we are very satisfied with Mailchimp. Before their most recent massive update we were considering switching providers since it was not able to do journey mapping and now we're quite pleased.

Pros

I love that Mailchimp is consistently working to improve. Their recent updates to the platform and new features such as customer journey mapping, A/B testing, and built-in survey capabilities. I like that I can schedule a campaign in advance and that we can integrate the software with Slack to get real-time updates of when something sends and if we get unsubscribers. Automation has also been invaluable to our small marketing team.

Cons

I wish the drag and drop templates were more customizable. Something that is more personalized like Squarespace can be personalized would be amazing. We currently don't have anyone on our team that can code in HTML, so having this resource would be invaluable.

Shannon O.

The Product is Great But Very Pricey

Reviewed on 2021/02/08

I started with the company back in 2009 and was sad that their pricing necessitated that I switch from them as a cost-saving measure.

Pros

This newsletter software makes it so easy to send beautiful emails. The drag and drop interface and side-by-side editing panels allow you to see what it will really look like in a customer's inbox.

Cons

After the 2000 free subscribers, the pricing gets STEEP really quickly. I truly loved Mailchimp and tried to stay with the company because it's such well-done newsletter software. But for low-margin businesses, it's just too pricey. The lack of minimalist options for those who don't need a lot of fancy features means it prices out those not running a high-margin business.

Souhil S.
  • Industry: Design

All-In-One News Latter and Email Marketing Platform

Reviewed on 2020/11/29

It's a very useful platform for business owners, and it can help to improve the performance of a marketing campaign by giving us some insights about the campaign.
It helped me a lot to build a strong repetition and to be able to not spam my customers and let them run away.
I wish they can add more features and keep updating this great platform and we will keep talking about it and recommending it to our friends.

Pros

They have a Free plan and I really like it because It allows me to send up to 2000 emails monthly.
Very easy to use and the UI is very clean and it's for everyone.
Mailchimp Drag and Drop option are great because it's very simple.
I really like their Integrations with a wide range of popular platforms.
Everything is in one place and you really don't need any other Platforms.
I can create and build a contact list for my marketing campaigns/promotions and to reach out to my customers.
It allows me to automate my emails and get an analysis of the performance of my campaigns.
They have a lot of templates, and you don't need to create anything from scratch.
I'm getting a lot of information about my promotions, and which one is performing very well and this helped me to focus more on some "winning products".
They really helped to solve my Marketing problems, and they really helped me to reach my business goals and to build a good repetition and I really can't change it to another platform because my customers already recognize MailChimp emails.
They have also, a great support team and they offer a lot of tutorials and blog posts to help us understand how Mailchimp works.

Cons

They can improve their reporting system because it's not accurate sometimes.
They can give us more control to build an email automation system.
After all, they are doing a great job, and they keep adding some great features and I feel like they are listing to us and giving us what we need exactly for a better experience.

Evelyn S.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Best option for mailing automatization

Reviewed on 2020/11/08

I started using Mailchimp a few years ago for my wedding photography business, we were two users and found it very easy to work both on the software, plan marketing campaigns, client following mail and newsletters, it let us know if the mails were open with a certain time and if not we were given the option to resend them. Now I'm also using mailchimp for my personal blog and it makes the process very easy as I have my subscribers list already there and I just add up while it grows.

Pros

Mailchimp is very easy to use and has a free option for freelance or people starting their business or community. I tried other mailing software but mailchimp is the one that gives more options on free and starter account. It offers segmentation options, automatization and what I love the most are the templates for any kind of mailing campaign. It helps a lot with newsletter to easily send them, track the reading and opening and growing the subscribers.

Cons

It is easy to use but not so intuitive in the beginning, it takes a little bit of time to understand the interface and how it works. The mobile app do not offer a lot of options, yet is a very nice mailing option.

Peter M.
  • Industry: Music

Super-Appealing. Informative. Eclectic.

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

It’s my vehicle for marketing. I can communicate everything I need in one letter to lots of people. I switched to another product because it was connected with my website, but their newsletter features were too difficult for me to learn. I dropped them and demanded my money back. Mail Chimp is the way to go.

Pros

If I can use it, ANYONE can use it! Seriously! I am a music guy with a growing music school. I don’t read directions. Mail Chimp is very intuitive. I can gather all sorts of related information in one attractive newsletter for all my clients, instructors, performers, performances, and theater staff. It allows everyone to see what’s going on, find out more about one or all items, and it’s presented in a way that doesn’t cram a million words and pics into one page.

Cons

Mail Chimp has added tons of features since I started. Along with the added features, the price went up. I only use the newsletter feature but Mail Chimp offers website creation which I’m considering switching to.

Ben E.

A User-Friendly, Cost-Effective Choice

Reviewed on 2020/09/01

I'm extremely satisfied with MailChimp and I know our company has benefited from it. We're saving money every year while also exceeding the quality we were previously accustomed to.

Pros

When I started at my company, they were using a different email management platform. At the expiration of our contract, I shopped other options and was familiar with MailChimp from use at a previous company. It was, without a doubt, the standout choice. The price, user-friendly interface, and no contract made it leaps and bounds above other options.

Cons

With other email platforms, it usually involved signing a contract or creating some kind of time obligation. As such, I was accustomed to being assigned a day-to-day contact or point person for any of my concerns, questions, etc.
With MailChimp, actually speaking to someone without already having an account seemed next to impossible. I think having someone to speak to when setting up a new account would have been nice to make sure we were covering all the bases and starting off on the right foot. That said, they do have support forums that have tons of information, if you're up to reading for an extended period of time.

Javier S.

A must-have to mail marketing

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

The overall experience using this tool is fantastic, I've been using for last 7 years in many clients with small database below 2000 clients (there is even a free plan with advertising) to really big campaigns to near 500000 customers and the functionality has been always nearly perfect and with great delivery times

Pros

Mailchimp is a really complete solutions to email marketing. It can be used for a wide range of users, from the most basic use with only text messages; their awesome and really easy-of-use templates; your own HTML messages; to own written templates using their facilities to fill user data in order to customize the message content.
The automatization functionality are really helpful to construct a robust marketing campaign offering the possibility to send a series of messages like welcome, iinformation, birthday gifts, to even, an most interesting to monetize, recover lost carts, get product feedback, opinions, etc
The analytical part is interesting because you can see inside the platform the deliverity, opening, clicking... in an easy way. Also you can use your own tracking platform to see result in your analytical platform as i.e. google analytics
The integrations is really simple and can be made manually using its API or you can use any of the plugins to connect with main web platforms as woocommerce, prestashop to even zapier so you can expand even more their automation capabilities

Cons

There are a few things i don't like from mailchimp service, probably the biggest will be the segmentations capabilities: You can organize your users in list and in order to refine which one should receive one mail, you must add basic queries based in things like "has/hasn't opened last X previous messages", their gender and age (if you don't have this data it tries to interfere from user interactions), state, likes, etc, but you can only use 5 of them so if you have a really big database it can be insufficient and must duplicate some campaigns to sucessive refinining in order to get you desired audience.
The other black point could be price if you have a big list (or even worse if any of your customers are in many list because then its counted as many times as lists its included). For really big customers I prefer active Campaign due to the pricing and better automation options.

Ian A.

Good, but could be great.

Reviewed on 2020/03/17

Overall this is a good beginner Email Marketing Platform.

Pros

What I like most about Mailchimp are its easy-to-use features. Mailchimp is a little more expensive than other Email Marketing Platforms (they charge based on the size of your list) so that's something to consider. The automation and segmentation features are rather basic, so if you plan to implement a more robust automated campaign or you're looking for ways to incorporate other marketing channels like social media or PPC than Mailchimp falls short.

Cons

Mailchimp offers pretty limited and basic training or tutorial videos. What they do offer isn't really much help to Digital Marketing professionals. Additionally, Mailchimp's support is HORRIBLE!

Jacob E.

Top Email Marketing Software

Reviewed on 2020/02/24

I'm a big fan of MailChimp. It's my go-to email marketing software for 100% white-hat projects. The whole process is so simple. You have an email list that you upload as an audience. You then go to the campaign section to set up a proper email automation campaign. Within that build, you have the ability to use their visual editor and functions in order to easily write/design the campaign and test it in a real mail client. Unlike some of the other email marketing software, there are not EXTRA features/functionalities that you would rarely need. This decreases the confusion and noise. Big plus!

Pros

- Easy to set up VERY quickly
- WSWYG Visual Editor is super easy to use
- They're constantly coming out with new functionalities like landing page design, integration with running paid ads, etc.
- Setting up full automation is relatively easy compared to other email marketing software out there
- You can edit multiple emails in multiple tabs which makes copy/paste even easier (other software only lets you have 1 tab open at a time)
- It's free up to 2,500 contacts!

Cons

- Support can be a bit unresponsive at times when you've broken one of their terms/policies (even when it happens by accident and you're not sure what you did wrong even to trigger it)

Doru D.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Using Mailchimp to enhance our customer journey

Reviewed on 2019/11/16

Used Mailchimp for a few years - switched to it from Constant Contact (and loved the change), switched from it to Exact Target (and didn't like it at all). Now back into the fold, but at a new business.
First usage - B2B communication with a few thousand contacts, really happy with how it worked, reporting could have been more robust, but for our needs it was ok.
Second usage - B2C communication with some thousands of contacts - and growing - via a e-shop interface. Like it so far, colleagues also happy with its functionality and ease of usage compared to previous solutions.

Pros

Easy to use and intuitive for the average user
Integrates well with our pre-existing ecommerce solution
Developments over the last few years (have been using it since 2010-ish at a previous job) are very well thought through and customer centric

Cons

WYSIWYG... at times. As long as what you want to do (visually) is close to its idea of what things should look like, it's great - if you need something further from the visuals/format it expects, results might vary.
Initial integration with PrestaShop was a little wonky - still not sure whether it was a PrestaShop or a Mailchimp issue, will update the review once we have it fully figured out

Deba O.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Arguably the only Email Marketing and Survey tool you will ever need

Reviewed on 2019/02/10

The learning curve for me was very straight forward. I have been able to record improved conversions from my marketing emails due to the high customization of email prepared with this software.

Pros

First-time users of MailChimp will enjoy the editor which is fast and simple to use, as it also supports the use of drag & drop interface to prepare your message. The support for auto-responders, A/B testing, recurring emails and RSS to newsletter has made my job easier. MailChimp analytics can tell you exactly what you need to know about the emails you sent. The analytics also helps me know what and what not to adjust in my email campaign and because I use MailChimp for the creation of Facebook, Instagram and google ads is another useful reason I have stuck to it. I regularly use Mailchimp to integrate with applications like WordPress to create subscription form and create ordering pages for e-commerce software like Shopify and woo commerce. It has been flawless so far. I will say they have a lot of features in the paid plan that makes email marketing enjoyable and subscribers spoilt for choice

Cons

Mail chimp does not encourage using their service for affiliate marketing even after you pay for their product. I learnt this the hard way when my defaulting account was blacklisted. I also observed that emails sent to Gmail landed in the promotion tab while some company internal servers blacklisted emails sent from my Mailchimp account. You should do well to beware of the forever free plan because they don’t provide customer service for it after 30 days and it does not support autoresponders. The pricing plan is not very straightforward to understand. Over the years, they have included some changes which are not great from a customer perspective (like the need to verify that your contact was gotten from a subscription page) and the reduction of contact allowed on the free forever plan to just 2000.

Virginia B.

So easy a Chimp could do it!

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Mailchimp is a wonderful email campaign platform. We are currently utilizing the free version, going on 5 years now, for our bimonthly newsletters and have never run into a single issue. As a marketer, my favorite thing about Mailchimp is the ability to share our newsletters and subscribe links via social media. You can also create pop-ups or static forms to embed on your website so that when people subscribe they are automatically added to your subscriber list.

Pros

Mailchimp’s free plan allows you to have up to 2,000 subscribers and includes 12,000 emails you can send out, per month. For those new to Mailchimp, there are numerous preset templates you can choose from which you can further customize to your liking or create your own from scratch. Campaign templates can incorporate images, polls, embedded videos, call to actions, plain text, and custom HTML. Once you have created a template – with the specific look you are looking for – you can duplicate it and create your next campaign so you do not have to start from scratch. It’s likely you will encounter someone on your subscriber list who either resides or works for a company in the EU. Mailchimp has all the needed GDPR tools and regulations in place to make your campaign process as easy and stress free as possible to manage.

Uploading new contacts to your subscriber list can be done in minutes (CSV files). You can also create multiple lists which you can further segment into more specific groups (in the case you may not want to send the campaign to the entire list of your choosing). Before sending off your campaign you can preview what it will look like to your recipients on desktop and mobile devices and check your links to make sure they work appropriately. Mailchimp also provides A/B testing and basic analytics, pertaining to each campaign you send out, to give you more insight into the campaign’s open rates and clicks.

Cons

I have very few complaints about Mailchimp, but I do wish they could incorporate spell check into their system somehow to help expedite the editing process. Also keep in mind, if you choose to upgrade from the free plan into a paid plan, you can only downgrade back down to the free plan once.

If you choose to make any changes to a campaign that has already been sent off, it will not update those campaigns, it will only show those updated changes to those you send the campaign to after saving those changes. Meaning if you find a mistake in a campaign you have recently sent out, know that there is no “undo” or fix.

Rob B.

Overall it's good, but has major flaws.

Reviewed on 2017/06/03

Pros

Mailchimp is very easy to use and has plugins for 99% of the other services my company uses online like our web host, G Suit, forms system, etc which is awesome and works amazingly. Their API is super smooth and simple so it is easy to import and sync all kinds of customer data from one service to another. The analytics mailchimp provides from campaigns is also super helpful, and so are their new automated tasks sending out automatic emails to customers after purchase or after abandoned carts.

Cons

My two major complaints are the price points and the flagging system. If you have a very small company the prices are pretty great, but as our customer database grew the prices jumped severally. I wish there is a way to pay less by opting out of some of the features we don't need or use, but it's a set strict pricing tier, all or nothing. Even with the higher prices my company kept on happily using MailChimp, until our account got flagged for 3 false reports. From the research, we investigated it appears that a rival company had their employees sign up for our mailing list, probably for market research keeping an eye on our sales which make sense, until those accounts reported one of our newsletters as spam causing MailChimp to immediately suspend our account. After MONTHS of being a paying customer with no issues, I feel them instantly suspending our account without first contacting us is unacceptable. The automated hoops they made as jump through we ridiculous, and the response time, once we jumped through those hoops, took DAYS - Days we had to pay for even though our account was suspended. two weeks down the road we got our account reactivated, but our request to talk to a member of their team was ignored. Mailchimp treated us guilty until proven innocent, which I would get if we didn't already have an impeccable record with them. We had over a year of 100% upstanding email campaigns using their service and feel like we were treated VERY unfairly. What happens next time that same competitor false flags us, forcing us to pay for service time we can not use? Because of that, I am actively researching other service providers, specifically ones that have actual human employees that reach out before drastic measures such as suspension.

Amanda H.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

MailChimp's recent changes in products and pricing

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Overall, our experience has been positive. We have had very few technical issues and the site itself almost never goes down.

Pros

We primarily use MailChimp for email campaigns, sending more than 5 million emails a year to more than 350,000 constituents. MailChimp has been consistent in its reliability and send data, with reporting tools that are helpful and timely as we plan for follow-up activities. It also provides comparative data so we can see how we are trending in relation to similar organizations.

Cons

The recent change in their pricing structure puts our organization at a disadvantage. We use the "pay as you go" model due to our large list size, and these credits now expire, limiting our ability to purchase the larger bulk credits that are more fiscally responsible for our university. The other sticking point for us is customer service -- there is no phone number associated and all trouble-shooting must be done via email which can significantly lengthen the time between a reported issue and its fix.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

MailChimp for Newsletters

Reviewed on 2020/04/16

Our non-profit has found it easy to reach out to our audience using MailChimp and that our communication looks great. It also allows us to organize our monthly newsletters and better track results.

Pros

Mailchimp is easy to use and has a lot of great features. We use this to send a monthly newsletter as well as periodic emails regarding events and activities for a non-profit that I help manage. I know some teams in our organization also use it for office communications. Mailchimp is relatively easy to use and the guidance and tutorial information that they have available makes it easier. The tracking and metric tools are really helpful too. They allow you to see how many people opened the email, how many forwarded it, which articles were clicked. The tool makes it easy to manage your distribution list as well.

Cons

If you aren't an expert in using these type of tools, it takes a bit to get the hang of it when you try to change a layout or delete/add content to a template after you've already started it. Also I find that you need to clear formatting before copying it into the Mailchimp template so I recommend if you are copying text that was written elsewhere to copy it into Word or similar and make sure you paste it as text only without any formatting. It will be easier t to work with when you copy it clean into MAILCHIMP.

Jason C.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Mailchimp manages 50+ email campaigns a month

Reviewed on 2019/11/04

We currently use Mailchimp to communicate with tens of thousands of alumni and families of our college. It gives us great flexibility to provide accurate and segmented messaging to those audiences. It's also easy to use so non technical users can develop email campaigns with no problem.

Pros

I have used several email campaign services over the years and Mailchimp is by far the easiest to use. It is fairly intuitive and easy to understand. Also, we've been able to build custom well branded email templates into the system so all of our emails look on brand.

Cons

They regularly make updates to the service (which is great) but it results in regularly needing to relearn where things are and what they are called. For example, mailing lists are now called Audiences and it took some getting used to.

An effective email marketing tool - just the basics, but well done

Reviewed on 2020/01/16

Mailchimp has allowed me to send out professional looking emails and get business as a result. The tracking has allowed me to see what types of emails are most effective, and where I can improve in regards to my email marketing. It has also allowed me to save time by reusing a template and just replacing some items each time. Using Mailchimp has allowed me to minimize my costs in starting a business since the free version is definitely sufficient for quite a while if not indefinitely. I would definitely recommend it overall!

Pros

It's free! It really offers everything you need to send out effective marketing emails. You can add images, a header and footer and organize contacts by groups. You can also track all the statistics of who opens your email, how long they spend viewing it, and how many forwards and clicks you receive. You can automate quite a few things so sending out your marketing emails can be quite painless. It's also easy to integrate into websites and offers free tutorials to make the tech part even simpler. It really is a complete system.

Cons

I didn't always find it so easy to navigate, especially if you don't use it regularly. It's easy to forget exactly where and how to do things; that is to say, I didn't find it completely intuitive. The version I used (the free version) also displays MailChimp at the bottom of emails; so if you really want a sleek look, it might be worth paying or choosing different software.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

EASY marketing platform

Reviewed on 2019/06/01

Overall, mailchimp has helped make our business more profitable and expand our reach. Any business needs marketing, and mailchimp was the best place to start.

Pros

I love that you can start using mailchimp within 10 minutes of signing up. It's so easy you can get an email marketing campaign designed and sent, create forms, and manage all of your users and see detailed reports. I like how many different reports and analytics are available for mailchimp users, and it gives me valuable insight into bounce rates, subscriber count, and the behavior of your subscribers. The email marketing campaigns are so easy to use, they have a drag and drop design layout, and plenty of templates to choose from. I like that mailchimp offers many different plans so you can pick what suits your needs. Mailchimp integrates with so many other platforms, and best of all google analytics. If you really want to get the best insights mailchimp and google working together will give you everything you need for managing marketing. Mailchimp can also be used to create social media posts and overall its definitely the easiest platform to get your marketing up and running as soon as possible.

Cons

The automations are not as easy to set up and use as the rest of the platform. Mailchimp also tends to use their own definitions and words that are not standard in the marketing industry, so there is a bit of a learning curve. Do your research and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Industry: Automotive

Easy and practical

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

It is a great software for marketing agencies or individuals because it is free up to 2000 subscribers and very easy to learn how to use with all the help articles and tutorial videos.

Pros

MailChimp is very easy to use! I have been using it for over 3 years and I am very satisifed with the software, they are constantly improving the site, it became very easy to navigate. The support system is great, there are tutorials and help articles that explain step by step how to create lists etc.

They have two factor authentication that keeps the account safe. It has a free, basic plan, after you exceed 2000 subscribers, you always know how much you need to pay and it sends you a notification when you are adding new subscribers and about to exceed your monthly plan.

You can schedule newsletters based on the time zone, which is extremly useful in the US. But MailChimp can analyze your subscribers and suggest the optimal sending time if you prefer to choose that.

It sends me emails every day about the campaign activities, unsubscribers that helps me keep the list up to date.

The analytic tools are great, you can see how many people opened the email, how many times they clicked on certain links, If you are curious about a subscriber all their activity is available on their profile.

The most useful feature, in my opinion, is that you can send automatic follow up emails to those who have not opened the first email, or have not clicked on it.

Cons

Certain features (such as sending campaigns with time wrap) only available on the paid plan, which is a little pricy.

The different list management tools like tags, groups and segments are confusing at first.

• Industry: Publishing

Email Marketing Solution

Reviewed on 2021/03/09

Mailchimp is a great email marketing software. It can be integrated in Wordpress or used extrenally. It has the ability to create landing pages and opt in forms. The segmentation is amazing and one of the best. Deliverability rate is also one of the best. However, it's very expensive compared to other providers, especially that it uses the same servers like everybody else (Amazon AWS.)
The free version (up to 2000 subscribers only) is very limited and no longer comes with scheduling options. I've switched to Omni Send and MailBluster which I find more cost effective for my growing list of 10000+ subscribers.

Pros

Deliverability rate is excellent. I've tried several email marketing software such as Email Octopus, MailBluster, Flodesk, SendPlus etc..., and Mailchimp by far has the highest deliverability rate among them all. Meaning, your email is most likely sent to the receiver's inbox rather than in spam.
Segmentation in Mailchimp is the best.

Cons

It's incredibly expensive compared to other mail providers. The free version no longer supports essential features such as scheduling campaigns or a variation of templates.
The html editor doesn't offer enough tools.

Kimbette F.

Mailchimp makes marketing a breeze

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

Mailchimp makes it easy for my employer and her company to stay in touch and update clients on a weekly basis. I can create a campaign and schedule it for delivery within a couple of minutes.

Pros

I love how user-friendly this software is...the program guides you through each step and allows you to drag/drop design options. You don't need a graphic design degree to create beautiful mailings.

Cons

It would be nice if they could provide a bit more tech help when creating mailing lists or at least some tips to maintaining accurate mailing lists.

Sylvia P.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

MailChimp making it easy and affordable!

Reviewed on 2020/07/24

I have multiple accounts for multiple businesses and have recommend them to my fellow business owners.

Pros

Mailchimp has numerous free options to help you get started. It has added landing pages, real time data reports and their campaigns are easy to create. I have used multiple email programs and I am very happy with Mailchimp and would recommend to any new business owner.

Cons

One feature that could be a possible add is the ability to have a chat bot in the future. Chat bots are becoming essential and I prefer to have all my communications in one program.

Matthew R.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Massive Action with Minimal Effort

Reviewed on 2020/03/01

Phenomenal, The systems used tackle alot of the problems small busines sstruggle with

Pros

Offering a somewhat "One Touch" approach to marketing is something that goes beyond words. For years my sales team and i had struggled working through the law of big numbers and mailing by conventional means.

Cons

At first, like most things the usability seemed foreign .

Danique T.

Number 1 Email Marketing Service

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

Mailchimp, besides creating a new template and campaigns that I struggled to figure out, is really easy to use. It’s very simple and straight forward. Even the free version comes with many great features, such as statistics. I can clearly see my opening rate improve when I try something new with my email headlines for example. Great software overall. I’d recommend it to anyone even if you are not into email marketing but just want to send out information to a group of people on a regular basis and are representing an organization.

Pros

It’s the little things that matter. I really appreciate that in the free software the MC logo isn’t crazy obvious in the emails my subscribers receive. I mean it’s there but it’s still really usable. Some software that is free almost forced you to pay for a subscription because of how janky it is. Mailchimp’s software is totally usable even when it’s free. Quality is still upheld.

Cons

Something that I find annoying is creating a new template and using that template over and over again. I had a hard time figuring out where to find that feature, and I’m a young person. I know how to use technology. This must be even more difficult for an older person who isn’t very tech savvy. You have to create a template and then create a new campaign from that template every time. What I don’t like about this is that it’s geared towards people who run email marketing campaigns, but I often use it outside of work just to send out information to my church. Then it doesn’t make sense to create campaigns because I’m not running any marketing campaigns. Mailchimp can be used for a variety of things but their system isn’t really set up for that.

Ivan R.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Solid Core Product And Getting Better With Automation and Integrations---Good Enough For Most

Reviewed on 2018/10/28

We have used Mailchimp for close to 4.5 years now. It has helped us grow our company, and has been a great partner in doing that.

Mailchimp has a very pro-active development and update cycle which goes out of its way to introduce, explain, and help you get used to new features as they are introduced. They manage to keep the merchant in the loop and updated to best practices without pushing confusing or broken updates down your throat.

The user interface is so clean and easy to navigate and the product is so robust that we have never had to contact support... ever. In almost 5 years.

Pros

Easy UI and email editor interface, robust core feature set, integrations with most common shopping carts, transparent reporting and traffic statistics, good help articles, support, and tooltips.

Mailchimp does very well in its core areas of competency, and is obviously taking very aggressive steps towards automation and optimization which will keep it relevant. Excited for more advanced integrations between Shopify and Mailchimp.

Cons

Default templates are not as good as one would like, if you care about seamless branding etc you will need to spend some time and money to create good templates within Mailchimp's limitations.

New features (postcards, landing pages etc) are for all practical purposes still in Beta. They show promise but feature limitations are there. Just keep this in mind when you're using them and play to their strengths.

Paywalled "Mailchimp pro" and list based social media tools should be included by default. Mailchimp used to be an all in one solution which scaled via list size---this is no longer the case and unlocking this additional functionality feels like a cheat.