e-Builder Enterprise

Integrated capital program & project management software

4,4
4,2
4,3
4,2
4,4
Giuseppe S.
Industry: Civil Engineering

User friendly system and allows you to capture information necessary for your project.

Reviewed on 2018/03/19

Good financial reporting on projects and status of where things sit with what actor. Hold accountability with PMs, Directors, and Executive Directors.
Very good auditing tool that can help score performance on internal staff and outside consultants or contractors.

Pros

Easy to build reports and dashboards.
Building customized reports and workflows.
Easy to use system.
Allows everything to tie back to a project, include cost, budget, documents, forms, invoices, change orders, task orders, etc.

Cons

System runs slow around noon-3pm EST.
As an EB Admin, certain functionalities when creating forms are uneditable or would require you to remove a field and start over again.
Dashboards do not quickly refresh with up to date changes made in processes or reports. Sometimes it takes almost 6hrs to refresh a dashboard based on new changes.
Would like to see more online youtube training videos on certain modules (i.e., BI Reports, Schedule, Cashflows, etc.)

Justin D.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Used to hate it, now I tolerate it

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

+Extremely customisable. This is construction management software that you can tailor to fit the needs of your project. I've used e-Builder for three (3) different higher education institutions and each University is able to tailor e-Builder to fit the project's needs.
+Notifications. E-Builder will email you a notification when you have a RFI to respond to, when you have a submittal to review, when you've been copied on a RFI response, etc. This is very helpful and allows you to notify multiple individuals at once through the software. It also keeps a record.
+Documentation. E-Builder is meant to store documentation and it does excel in this. I've used e-Builder to access submittals, RFIs, drawing revisions, etc. on long term projects (24-36 month construction) when sometimes the documentation was uploaded years back. E-Builder does not put a time limit on an upload, so you can always access it.

Cons

-Training is definitely required to use e-Builder. It can be confusing with different terminologies used such as "forms", "processes", etc. I just need to find submittals and RFIs but can easily get lost. Without training, it is easy to hate e-Builder, just like I did in the beginning.
-Cost - this is not a cheap software and licenses can be costly.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Mike M.
Industry: Design

I am a contractor that has been forced to use e-builder because the agency I am currently working for is currently using it.

Reviewed on 2018/12/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I would really encourage you to think this out. E-builder is a gimmick, and a waste of time and money.

Pros

I do not like anything about this product. E-builder attempts to solve a problem that never existed, which in turn only creates problems. I receive on average 50 email per day from e-builder, and 99% of them do not apply to me. Therefore my email inbox was getting flooded with emails, and made it difficult to find what I was looking for. I then created an outlook folder for the e-builder emails so they stay out of my inbox. Now I have problem that I do not receive notifications when the emails come through, and I cannot view those emails from my iPhone, because they are in a different outlook folder.

Cons

The RFI/Change Order/Billing process used to be easy prior to using e-builder. E-builder has created a number of processes and steps that have to be completed by people on each side before it can get advanced to the next level. These processes used to be as easy as sending an email to the right individual. Now if a certain individual in e-builder drops the ball, it holds up the whole process. On average (a small business) the Port has been paying us a month late every month because of the problems with e-builder.

Industry: Hospital & Health Care

e-Builder is a fantastic system! It captures so much data that is useful for decision making.

Reviewed on 2018/03/20

Pros

e-Builder is a great product for owners who manage large capital budgets with many projects. The cost module interfaces with out GL system so there is no duplicate entry into a capital software. This means increased financial controls but it's great to have all of the information in one place. The e-Builder development team is great at responding to client suggestions and they are continually upgrading the system to make it a powerful tool that is extremely user-friendly.

Cons

Granting permissions in the folders is cumbersome if management likes continual change. We have a director who is constantly wanting changes and permission changes are not the easiest to make when you have a large folder structure built with subfolders like in Windows. It would be nice to be able to grant separate permissions for specific tasks but the permissions are set for groups of items. It makes sense but also limits the permissions the system administrator can grant to others.

Katherine A.
Industry: Facilities Services

Owner Representative Feedback

Reviewed on 2020/06/25

Organization of internal documents has immensely improved in our office. The ability to control the document management has been helpful with a large office and lots of archives. The other more robust and/or complicated features have been a struggle to get the office into. Unfamiliarity with the program has been a difficult hump to get over.

Pros

the ability to setup controls on functions so that organization and consistency can be maintained. The forms section is great. The fact that it keeps documents and conversation all in one place. It's nice that it can be placed in one persons court to know who needs to take action. It's also very helpful to manage workloads with employees.

Cons

Implementation of the program to our office has been difficult. It's difficult to fit in the time to understand the program ourselves then train others how to use it. The opportunities are endless when it comes to building processes, forms etc. but the time to build them is tough to find. We could have benefited more from training from an e-Builder team but did not have the funds to purchase it.

Tiffany S.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

A good software for owners

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

Need more flexibility for admin to assign various tiers of admin roles

Pros

It is a user-friendly and have a lot of features for owners. The software is also flexible enough to customize what our needs to manage projects.

Cons

1. Not enough communication when server is slowing down or having issues that impact users.
2. Would like to give limited "admin" rights to assigned users - currently it is one for all.
3. Enhancement is slowly materializing
4. Mobile apps not functioning well.

Essential tool to effectively manage $/time/resources for all our design and construction projects.

Reviewed on 2018/03/22

A superior and effective tool for managing all documents involved in my design and construction projects

Pros

Centralized aggregation of all project information. User-friendly and portability. Use in the office on your desktop, on all your smart devices-- all project-related information at the tip of your fingers at anytime and anywhere.

Cons

While the cost of adoption may be a potential hurdle initially for some small organizations, the benefits it brings to all stakeholders: design/construction/ institutional users will more than pay for itself in the long-term.

Kiavash P.
Industry: Higher Education

E-Builder review

Reviewed on 2020/07/21

We are planning to bring all the timesheets and our customer billing system to the e-Builder. It will help our team to gain more controls on the process.

Pros

It is flexible to be configured in different ways for different businesses and tastes

Cons

The performance issue is becoming more consistent

Industry: Higher Education

e-Builder Enterprise for project management

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

I used to work as an assistant project administrator for a university facilities engineering department and e-Builder helped us in so many ways, especially at the end of our fiscal year. All contracts and addendums and what we owed/ were owed was all on one easily navigable place.

Pros

E-Builder keeps files, bids, insurance policies, and other sensitive documents organized and secure throughout the construction process. It is easy to track addendums, revised budgets, and extended contracts with this software.

Cons

There is a learning curve with e-Builder, but with some practice using it makes the process of completing a construction project much more efficient (from an administrative standpoint).

Nathaniel K.
Industry: Construction

I use it to submit submittals and RFI's and it helps keeps everything I need for the project organiz

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/03/15

By using this product I am to track when everything goes in for review and when it gets returned. No matter how long ago it happens this keeps a good and clean record of everything that happens during the project.

Pros

It is easy to use and it doesn't take long to learn. I was placed onto a project that uses e-builder exclusively and I needed to be able to start using it by the end of the week and after the first couple submittals I was able to pick it up.

Cons

I could use a couple more options for the "Field Reports" section. There are moments when I am placing my reports from a site visit and I do not have an appropriate place to file it.

Nasser F.
Industry: Civil Engineering

End of File Cabinets and spreadsheets Era!

Reviewed on 2017/04/21

eBuilder has allowed the City of Sunnyvale Public Works Engineering Division to get out of time consuming and inefficient paper workflows and jump into web based project management.
Being able to access project data online from anywhere and at any time gives our inspectors, project managers and executives immediate boost in making better assessments and decisions.
eBuilder costs more than some other off the shelf software packages to implement and adopt but its software is customizable. Through guidance and hard work during implementation and adoption, the City managed to mirror existing workflows, procedures and authorizations into eBuilder modules and processes. The offered Cost, Schedule, Reporting, Dashboards and other modules allows us to manage projects data, costs, schedules in a much more efficient way than we ever used to.
We spent valuable time in ensuring that project data includes the fields that we want to report on and create executive dashboards for. Currently we can generate reports in seconds and our executive dashboards update automatically. Ease of tweaking reports to meet specific needs cannot be underestimated in terms of time efficiency. This is so much easier than sorting, cutting, pasting and generating charts with an excel spreadsheet.
Currently we have all out projects in ebuilder. Use of eBuilder has made our lives so much easier especially in construction since our RFIs, RFQs, change orders preauthorization, changes orders, progress payments and submittals are all processed electronically via eBuilder customized processes. Use of digital signature and digital routing has saved us so much time in printing paper, manual signatures, scanning, emailing, filing, etc. After using eBuilder, project records that needed a whole filing cabinet drawer in the past shrunk to a mere 1 thick folder!
Our lead Admin has learned how to customize eBuilder so we are continuously improving our processes to make our jobs more efficient.
I must add that eBuilder 24-hour customer support service is the best free service we have received from anyone. The support service will take your call at any time and do their best to help you without any complaints. They have made needed adjustments after adoption so much easier without costing the City a dime.
In conclusion, the City of Sunnyvale is very pleased with eBuilder. The City Manager and Council are very pleased with the Engineering adoption of technology and use of eBuilder.

Doris S.

Sometimes a Harmonica Is More Appropriate than an Orchestra

Reviewed on 2016/08/24

I am a Materials Coordinator. Per my Agency's format- I am mostly in folders: Progress Photos ("04"-07); 03-01-09; 03-08 through 12-all subfolders; 03-16-01-all subfolders; 03-16 & 17-all subfolders. I look at submittals via Submittal Register. Processes I use most is consultant daily activity report (DR_) and equipment report (DARCA).

Pros

It is a method to get at much info into an electronic format. As in the Microsoft Office software, the method of entering info into e-Builder vary from Process to Submittal, etc. In short, no consistency. I use the file naming convention format for record keeping for non-e-Builder projects.

Cons

Unable to get a simple Excel list of file names, with upload date (a harmonica), found in a folder directly from e-Builder software. It drives me nuts I can only see two or three documents in the tiny window when I do materials review & file naming consistency. I create my own Excel sheet manually. I select an individual document, "Properties", copy the file name into an Excel spreadsheet-repeat steps.
When a log can be created directly from e-Builder (an orchestra), it is in WORD (useless for sorting) in narrow columns stuffing long file names in multiple rows & extra useless verbiage filling the remaining columns. It can be edited, with the time wasted doing that, create an Excel spreadsheet manually.
In the file naming convention, there is no File TYPE ID to identify material certification info (photo of object's marking, pdf of paper tag, cutsheet) collected in the field. Currently I use "MS_" for "Materials Sh**t." Sorting by "MS_" brings up lots of "Miscellaneous" documents when doing closeout review. Adding suffice "TAG_" would help; it appears to not conflict with the current file naming File TYPE IDs.

Jedd W.
Industry: Education Management

Recent e-Builder Deployment

Reviewed on 2016/08/12

We started looking at cloud-based project management software packages in 2008. After deploying a product that ended up not being a good fit for our company we approached e-Builder in mid-2015 and went live in January of 2016. As they say, the rest is history.

Pros

The system is flexible, forgiving, intuitive, configurable, and extremely robust. The system works as advertised and as expected. e-Builder is always willing to address our comments and concerns and communicates the status of known issues. There isn't just one thing I like about the product, there are many. The cost module reflects true construction cost accounting with the ability to track multiple funding sources, budgets, commitments, and expenses. The process module is highly configurable to meet our unique process needs. We can easily reconfigure things without contacting e-Builder. The document feature has many bonus features to enable uploading, sharing, redlining, etc. of drawings and documents. All documents loaded into the system through other modules (i.e. cost, calendar, process, etc.) land in the actual document module as anticipated and expected. The reporting module is extremely robust, providing real time data relative to projects, costs, etc. The bidding module has greatly simplified and reduced our work load. Our bidding process is practically automated now. The mail merge feature is awesome! We've integrated with DocuSign which has simplified approvals and signatures. The meeting minutes feature in the calendar module enables easy tracking of minutes. And on, and on, and on.

Cons

The thing I like least has nothing to do with the product or the vendor. I'm frustrated with individual user's inability to truly adopt the product and change how they do things. Old dogs have a hard time learning new tricks.

Crystal-rose R.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

e-Builder for the Admin

Reviewed on 2019/04/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Previously, our company relied on paper, scanned documents and e-mail. Slowly but surely we are transferring all of our business processes for the entire enterprise made up of approximately 12 divisions into e-Builder. Several processes including procurement, invoice requests, budget requests, change requests, contingency transfers, etc. have all been successfully rolled out and are being maintained in the system while we expand to other departments like Admin & HR, Operations, Facilities, Business & Revenue, Technology, etc. as we continue to develop the software as an enterprise warehouse for all our business needs.

Pros

Functionality and ease of use not only for end-users but especially for the client system admins. Whether it's setting up projects, users, roles, processes, reports, dashboards, etc. the navigation and setup for all are intuitive and user friendly that anyone with typical technical skills could successfully use with little to no training or direction.

Cons

Though the system is very easy to use and setup, this is mostly because clients to not have access to the hard-coded data. Typically this is not a problem but there are limitations that come up from time to time like the ability to edit/remove standard and default fields or search functionality and options in different modules.

David G.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

A great project management package for design and construction.

Reviewed on 2018/01/26

Standardization and automation of processes, document capture and management.

Pros

Three features in particular have made my job easier. First, processes are standardized and automated. There is no longer any guesswork as to how something was done, where the paperwork is, or who is holding up holding things up. Second, everything is documented as a byproduct of working through a process. Emails, internally generated documents, contracts, changes orders, submittals, etc. are captured and stored for easy reference. Third, no more paper. We have eliminated scores of filing cabinets, including those storing record documents from previous projects, and everything is now available digitally where ever I go.

Cons

Design reviews are frustrating. They require everyone on the distribution list to reply before the process can proceed. In our organization there are some individuals who need to be included in the design review but often do not respond. We typically have an administrator override and terminate the process. I wish there was an option to automatically close the process at the due date.

Cylix S.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Good system that is constantly improving

Reviewed on 2017/09/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Great system, keep up the good work. You have a good team of intelligent programmers and customer service providers. Having a road map and plan for the direction of the group is imperative and will keep the creative people focused on where the application needs to go. There are little bugs here and there in the system, or parts that do not function exactly as we want causing us to create work-arounds.

Pros

The interface is very intuitive, the modules are helpful and the functions are logical. We have had success in generating reports that executives can use to make strategic company-wide decisions as construction consumes the most capital resources available.

Cons

There are some functions and features that could be improved as they are starting to compete with other applications available. As an example we want to use the schedule module more but the Microsoft project application is much easier so we end up importing MS project files instead of generating the original project schedules in eBuilder. We want all-in-one most of the time but it would require integration with MS products or building a clone which we understand is time consuming and expensive.

Dennis C.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great Project Management Software

Reviewed on 2016/08/25

We think e-Builder is a great product. We have been using e-Builder to manage capital projects since 2009. We added our Facility Engineering budgets and projects in 2012. We use all of the e-Builder modules. We use processes extensively to control both the flow of information; i.e., RFI, ASI, POC, etc. and cost; i.e., budget changes, contract and PO approvals, AFP and invoices. We using the bidding module heavily. Also, e-Builder is integrated with our financial system software allowing us to expedite vendor payments after they are approved in e-Builder.

Pros

The ability to create and modify workflow processes to standardize these activities and provide visibility of their status at any step in the process. The responsiveness of the customer support that we receive on those rare occassions when we have an issue with the software or want to implement a non-standard modfication.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this software.

Giuseppe S.
Industry: Utilities

Senior Project Manager (EB Admin)

Reviewed on 2016/10/26

This system has been very helpful with locating where forms, invoices, contractor pay apps, task orders, and etc are in the process. In addition, identifying where the bottlenecks are and allowing us to quickly address them to either remodify the workflow or provide additional training/support to staff within the process. Great reporting tool as well for urgent requests by upper or executive level management.

Pros

System is user friendly, nice to track what is sitting in peoples "current step", report wizard is nice to help generate ad hoc reports, and cost summary hold people accountable to how much is budgeted for their project.

Cons

Show more video demonstration on different BI reports and Dashboards. Have standard dashboards step up from EB. Do a workshop on how to setup a BI Dashboard and see if others in EB community can share theirs.

Other simple video demos on Import Tools (i.e., project imports, etc)

More improvement on Planning Module. Many of the features and functions see to be tedious or extra clicking or difficult to run cash flow by month.

Video demo on Scheduling module and setting up a schedule for a project and running a cash flow. Then run a nice dashboard to show the project with cash flow curves and project details.

Boyd B.

Happy user for almost 10 years

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Improved project management. Drives consistent application of project management processes.

Pros

Strong program focused on helping Owners efficiently manage capital projects through the design and construction process. Flexible processes allow Owners to customize process flows to match their unique needs. Ability to integrate a wide variety of project team members into the processes helps maximize process efficiency and collaboration. Reports for day to day use are easy to set up, flexible and functional.

Cons

Schedule module is still clunky. Difficult to drawn data from across modules to create certain types of comprehensive reports. In some cases data must be downloaded to Excel and further manipulated to capture desired analysis. Licensing cost structure can make it cost prohibitive to include project team members outside of the Owner's staff and take full advantage of the collaborate potential of the software.

Daniel G.
Industry: Real Estate

Powerful Software -

Reviewed on 2017/09/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I do appreciate the support team, i've been on that side of software before. Thanks for all the work you guys do. Also, thanks to the other teams at e-Builder that make all the magic happen behind the scenes.

Pros

Customization of independent processes allow multiple departments to interact within the same workflows. Version control on documents module always keeps document organized and easily accessible. The use of reporting to extract the data needed is always a plus. The future expansion of the APIs is going to make this software even more powerful!

Cons

Some high priority bugs still take to long to get resolved. Replication of certain bugs limit the eb development team to fix issues in a timely manner. --- Some items cannot sit in a process or whatnot, waiting for the eB dev team to look into the issue. Some things have to move at the speed of payments.

Tim K.
Industry: Government Administration

e-Builder works great for streamlining government agency processes

Reviewed on 2016/08/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Reporting is awesome and very powerful.
Processes really streamline our efficiency.
Help menu is very detailed and has information for almost everything you can imagine.
Many advanced features that have the ability to vastly improve how projects are managed if used correctly.

Cons

There are multiple "modules" in the software (processes, reports, cost, schedule, submittals, etc.) and for the most part there is not cross-module communication. This leads to issues with mail merges and reporting not always being able to pull in the information needed.

There is an e-Builder Community function which is a nice idea but could be so much better. It needs a visual overhaul and should be a hub for all the different companies that use the software to share there ideas. Instead it is mostly used for people to post enhancement requests, with very little e-Builder response.

Foteinos S.

Pier 17 - Architect Experience

Reviewed on 2016/10/27

We've been using E-Builder the past 3 years for the project and I admit that as we were evolving the way that we were using the platform through the years, as well as the several updates that E-Builder did have improved the experience. Overall, there have not been major issues in the process between architect - contractor, apart from some instances that we are currently facing where there is some sort of bug that creates a numbering issues at the submittals ID. Although we have found a temporary solution (between contractor and architect) to keep the work going, we believe that such an issue is creating a disorganized archive of all the submittals and should be avoided. Other than that, we do believe there is still some more room for better user experience at the platform. Lastly, at times the loading time between pages while browsing in E-Builder, takes more than normal, slowing down the process.

Pros

Cleanness of all open items on one's court

Cons

Loading time between pages

Mark S.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Very good product, but can be difficult to learn because it has so much functionality

Reviewed on 2018/03/15

This software has made access to files and project information from multiple locations much easier. It has also organized my department to a single file structure allowing easier and timely location of critical project information. Sharing information across the University is also better as all of our data is formatted similarly for all projects.

Pros

The ease of transferring files into the eBuilder file system and ability to view files from the web while traveling. Scheduling is much improved since the last update.

Cons

Cost accounting can be difficult to understand because of all of the different areas where items can be entered. Would like to seamlessly drop files from email into eBuilder files without saving them on my computer first

Rhonda R.
Industry: Government Administration
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Ebuilder Evaluation

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

As the eB Admin, initial training and design of the system were crucial to our success launch. I was given the proper tools to fully understand the functionality of the software. We crafted a well thought out, detailed approach to what our implementation would include. This approach did not overwhelm staff for training/adoption. By keeping it simple and streamline in the first year, staff gained the knowledge and confidence necessary for buy in of a new system. Now in the second year of use, we are fully understanding how all data from various modules relate to one another, giving a fully integrated, dynamic project management approach to our projects.

Pros

The communication tools available for all project participants. This transparency gives all participants a better control of real time reporting and management.

Cons

Some of the modules still feeling a little cumbersome- Scheduling seems a little tedious to set up, and make revisions.

Dan E.

Over Complex product

Reviewed on 2018/05/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

A great project management tool

Pros

Many uses across the project management field. Numerous projects with numerous users can access all the same stored information at the same time. Sending RFI, Submittals, transmittals, meetings, reports etc and then sending & placing the requisite information in the other users court - its fantastic.

Cons

Very limited in customization (which could be down to the way the project was set up) and tedious amount of clicking to get through to where you need to, and then having to start again when go on to next task rather than just going to next item (report, submittal, photo etc)