Oracle Aconex for Large Scale Construction
With aconex, its really easy to handle this large scale project. Without aconext it wouldve taken ages to submit approve and construct everything
The project I'm working in is Cinnomon Life. Which us a 1.2Billion USD Multi Purpose Real Estate Project in Sri Lanka.
In this project there are hundreds of Sub-Contractor companies working under the main contractor.
Without Aconext I dont know how we couldve handled all the drawings and Documents.
Its easy to use. Super easy to store and find documents. You can keep track of everything.
Since its web based. Speed depends in the quality of the internet connection. Takes a bit of time to download larger files
Oracle Aconex for Industrial Projects and Professional
Since my organization is using this software, I have been also a user of this more than two years.
As an Engineer, everyday I get Aconex notifications to my outlook which is very helpful for me to get an idea of them before opening the Aconex. Since there are thousands of documents and emails, it is difficult for me to memorize everything. Therefore open and read in Aconex is easier than memorizing them. I normally use Aconex to send documents to other organizations since it is a secure medium.
I highly recommend Aconex to any organization and professional.
Oracle Aconex is a sophisticated Software platform to communicate and store documents securely for any scale of a project. Large number of users can be added and use it at the same time is one of the major advantages. Inbuilt Aconex email function which can also be linked in to outlook is an added advantage. One other thing I like most is that the user can preview and verify a document before downloading it. Documents in Aconex can be exported into an Excel sheet saves the time. Workflow function in Aconex allows to check the hierarchy of reviewing the documents. It also allows the user to sort the documents according to date, organization and etc. Those are some of the appreciative features I experienced in this software.
Expensive License is the major drawback I see in this software.
One other thing I noticed is, user has to write the name of the document using exact letters as per the documents’ name, otherwise, it shows “no results found”. Like google it doesn’t suggest the words while typing.
Aconex is sold as a complete Project Management tool, it is far from that.
This is a Web Based application that can be accessed via any internet connect as well as mobile access. Reports can be set up for individual use or organization use for all users. They are trying to update features in workflows to be closer to Bluebeam. My direct Support contact is very responsive and always willing to help.
There are several cons, you do not have the ability to do bulk changes to date field and clear the date completely. Workflows does not allow multiple comments per sheets, it bulks them all together as one comment. The comments need to be tracked/closed individually and when its all bulked together that is not possible. There are certain fields that are listed Print Size why can't this be turned off? Mail does not currently have workflows. Mail is hard to run reports, you need to do it from Inbox and sent to get all necessary information. Workflow Comments is only available to vie in workflow, this should be visible in the document registry. Markup tool is not user friendly.
Aconex was easy to learn and easy to configure.
Ease of tracking documents in workflow and ease of transmitting documents to and from outside contractors.
I like the ability to configure the metadata. I also like the search and retrieve tools. Having the workflow/review document feature built in is also a time saver.
The review documents tool set needs to include a tool to export comments and save as a file. Currently, this procedure must be done outside of Aconex. Also, the workflow process should allow the administrator to add additional people to the workflow after it starts. This should not be a separate workflow within an active workflow that is tied to an active workflow participant (although when a user needs that feature it is useful but not typical).
The software also needs a better approach to storing the native file and corresponding pdf file together. Using history is not an effective method (and confusing to typical users) and giving either the native file or pdf file the same document number with a suffix (or some other means of numbering) can also be confusing. Both files should have the exact same document number.
Aconex is the best tool I have found for managing documents and mail on medium to large projects.
I greatly appreciate Aconex's flexibility to adapt to policies and procedures you may already have. It does not force you into one way of doing things but at the same time doesn't require significant up-front configuration to get started.
I also like that Aconex is always improving and adding significant and useful new features often.
The only real con I have is one that can be managed but would be nice to have tighter controls on. Aconex does not offer the ability to restrict the permisison to change the document status (approved, approved as noted, rejected, dfrat, etc.) when superceding with a new version. By default it uses the previous version status for the new version status and if you forget to select a new status you could end up with the draft of the next revision of the document showing as approved in the document register. If you use workflows to approve your documents you can always go back and verify if a document was actually approved by the proper people but to do that requires a few extra mouse clicks.
effective document management
Users in different locations can work together with this document management system and systematically exchange and upload documents.
It enables you to classify documents very effectively and make them easier to find at any time. It enables specific users to open certain functions and provide everyone with access to the documents they need for their jobs. At the same time, when the necessary requests are created, the persons concerned must fulfill the duty that they should follow the relevant document.
Users in different locations may have problems synchronizing due to the Internet problem. If the required permissions are not set correctly, users can access documents that are not authorized or related to them. This could create both mayhem and security vulnerabilityThis could create both mayhem and security vulnerabilityThis can create both chaos and security.
Very Good, but could be better
Fast and very intuitive user experience (if the fields are designed properly by the docuement control team in your enterprise)
Fast access. Very easy way to look for the documents. Easy to upload new documents. Secure and safe information. 24 hours a day working.
Improve the module of reviewing documents, it must be without Java, because Java is too slow and have many troubles, maybe you can do the same as you did in the multi upload module. The team that supports our projects must be people who really worked on real projects all over the world, maybe you need to include some Document Controllers that used Aconex for a long time, and includes they in your company. Most of the people in the support team actually didn't know how a real project work using Aconex.
One of the most reliable cloud based software for Operations Management
Since Aconex is a cloud-based solution, it is easy for our project team members even those who are remotely located to create, review and upload documentation and other project information from any location on to the software seamlessly. Documentation such as drawings, RFIs, rich 3D models, rendering and reports can be accessed via a real time dashboard and this definitely helps us reduce the time and effort needed for document filing and tracking.
Oracle Aconex is the Crème de la crème of construction management softwares and allows its users to share documentation via the online portal for sizeable projects in a seamless manner. It is suitable for transmitting drawings, and capable of documentation management, process and workflow automation and helps the user control several aspects of project correspondence for complex projects. We have been able to manage and maintain a workflow within the software and love the tracking feature that accommodates each transmittal submitted.
It needs training first to be able to use all features and functionalities. There is limited email capability but hopefully this will be addressed in future upgrades. It is best suitable for large construction and engineering projects so not really sure if small scale projects would be managed well through Aconex.
Successfully configured and implemented Aconex on several large programs.
It is the solid single-point-of-truth for large, complex programs. It integrates information flow (correspondence), documents, packaged deliverables, cost, field inspections and BIM together very well. It span from bid/tender phase all the way through design, construction, test/commissioning and close-out. If implemented properly with industry best practice processes, it can significantly reduce risk on large, complex programs, especially those with multiple contract and technical interfaces.
Some of the administration features are somewhat cumbersome on implementations with a large number of users, especially at the organizational administration level.
As with any software implementation, training and institutionalization is one of the hardest and most important aspects to be successful. There are a few features (like RFI closeout) that make it a little more difficult to institutionalize such that report data remains in tact.
Give it a Try
Aconex has wonderful customer service. You can reach them 24/7 for help.
The product is easy to use and the support provided by Aconex is phenomenal. Second to none. Flexibility of the workflow module is its strongest feature.
Their mobile application leaves a lot to be desired. I'd like to see a stronger option for mail through the mobile application.
Aconex is a great platform and repository of project documentations.
- Easy to search/find documents especially drawings with the most current versions
- The fact that you can see messages from/to other team members is useful when you have large teams especially if a team member leaves the project
- Documents and mails cannot be deleted for accuracy of project records
- Unlimited project users can be added to use the system once the Organization has registered
- Not widely used by Subtrades/Owners so there is more training required. Other systems such as Procore are more widely used and don't require as much training
- The fact that messages/notifications can't be grouped as conversations in Outlook makes reading all of the messages very tedious and time consuming
- Tracking & closing of RFI's is difficult due to how the status is recorded ie, if the Engineer responds asking for some additional information on an RFI so that they can respond, the system automatically indicated that the RFI has been responded to; it is not possible to generate report in order to know Organizations the RFIs been distributed to using other mail types
- Tracking and generating report for received and issued drawings and packages is difficult, it is crucial to be able to have accurate transmittal information that can easily be generated on a daily basis for document management / project records without having the need to maintain a manual log especially for Contractors managing upstream and downstream flow of information (documents from which Organization and to which Organizations the documents have been issued to with complete document and transmittal details)
Solid Project Management Platform
If you're an EPC company it'd be hard to go wrong with Aconex. We ended up selecting another platform, but it was a fierce competition. In the end, we opted for one with more market-ready integrations with other tools that we currently have in place (to avoid more siloes) and that also had a UI/UX that was more intuitive for creating processes and finding files/records (viz. a modular-tool setup). There were other considerations, but bottom line, Aconex is a solid platform that really offers a wealth of value for standardizing and automating key processes. They'll definitely be around for a while.
- Clean UI/UX experience
- Configurable workflows created on front-end by user
- Metadata based system allows for rich tagging and organization of files (Document Register) and other types of correspondence (Mail Types)
- Views can be saved (and shared) for filtered searches that take place a lot (e.g. RFIs or Pending RFIs)
- Mail types offer extreme configurability to formalize/standardize certain types of exchanges between parties that require user input or approval (e.g. Daily Logs, Meeting Minutes, RFIs)
- Can pay per user or go with unlimited user option and pay a percentage/fee based on how much company commits to running through Aconex for set period of time; having options are nice though
- Reinvest 20% into R&D
- Support Central contains outstanding documentation
- Great mobile apps with wide-functionality
- Takes some mental training to know which Register to go look in, whether that's the Document or Mail Register. In my experience, this was because currently, our company stores RFIs as documents/files, whereas Aconex treats them as a Mail Type; so looking for an RFI requires searching in the Mail Register (since it's a type of correspondence) not the Document Register (note: Aconex can also handle RFI process as a document, I believe buy sending it around via Workflows, in which case it *would* be a file located in the Document Register)
- Meta data is the smartest way to organize big data however it *does* require a solid tagging system; some companies may not have this (but I'm sure Aconex would assist with this setup)
- A few Auzzy-isms are distracting to look over (e.g. Tender vs. Bid)
- Has technical potential to integrate with other software/tools through APIs but not many market-ready connections that can be demonstrated
- Almost handles entirety of project life-cycle, but a little weak on POs (i.e. not a P2P tool, Procure to Pay) and integrating the Connected Cost tool with other ERPs (note: see previous remark, it *is* technically feasible)
Great to see Aconex continue to improve their products.
* Always get the latest version of drawings
* Can track previous versions of drawings
* Nothing can ever be deleted
* Being able to view all the mail that has been sent and received from your company
* Do not have to save anything on your own hard drive
* Reporting tools are very useful
* Being able to create excel spreadsheets from Document Register
* Can access Aconex from any electronic device which has the internet
* Project Directory list
* Global Directory list
* Mutiple File Upload
* Being able to set up Projects how you want.
* List of projects to be able to access easily - when invited onto
* Organising mail into Types - makes it easier to sort.
* Multiple fields to search for documentation and drawings eg. Subject, Date, From Organisation, Recipients etc.
* Help instructions and videos are excellent.
* Help Desk is excellent
* Issues with teaching consultants and sub-contractors on how to upload documents into the document register- ie. education
* Sometimes time delay in viewing and downloads
* Site going down.
* Generally happy with the product.
* 95% of the time the Aconex Helpdesk are very knowledgeable. However occasionally I have come across someone that is not sure about an answer but all operators have always been very friendly and helpful.
Excellent collaboration tool
This software is very powerful for collaboration and workflow.
Aconex is easily to get up and running and is also relatively easy to use. The custom mail form functionality combined with the ability to set automatic distribution lists for different mail types has been a very powerful tool for corresponding on contractual items.
Aconex is a large company with all users utilizing the same interface. Because of this Aconex is very easy to implement. The down side is that proprietary nomenclature or specific document "Types" may or may not be allowed. In our case, we wanted a general document type for "Meetings" where we use a cascade to further delineate whether the document is a Agenda, Presentation, Handout, Notes etc.. Aconex has a type set up for "Meeting Notes" which we felt was too specific and did not address agendas and other meeting material. Aconex escalated the request to have a Type = Meetings or Meeting Material and our request was denied.
Aconex fully complies with internal needs and also allows the organization to be up-to-date with ISO
The best practices in the documentary field for my daily job.
Document management is a key aspect for the efficiency and productivity of organizations and ACONEX has been fundamental for the magnitude of the project in which I currently work.
Aconex fully complies with internal needs and also allows the organization to be up-to-date with ISO 30300 and the best practices in the documentary field.
Documentary management how "the strategies, tools and methods used to capture, organize, store, preserve and disseminate content and documents related to organizational processes, is much easier to achieve with the vital support generated by having Aconex with this tool .
It is difficult for me to trace - match the documents to each other for topics.
While there is a chance to download spredsheets, the is quite limit the report, could be better considering something like dashboard or something similar for all the categories of the documents.
After 7 years of use on many projects, Aconex has been the most efficient collaboration tool to use.
Aconex is a good online collaboration tool that aids in the overall maintenance of the day to day running of a project.
The implementation of using metadata to tag documents, makes searching easy. Searching within the document contents is quite helpful. The new online viewer has made online document reviews a lot easier to process and keep track of. The Mail module is an overlooked plus that assists in keeping all of the project communications in one place. The online training videos have improved a lot and are essential in getting projects up and running.
The price is high compared to some of the other collaboration solutions and this keeps of from using Aconex more than we do now. Some of the administrative restrictions prevent the organization administrators from being as effective as they need to be (i.e. can't remove users from a project, can't change labels of metadata, can't create and add our own document statuses or document types, dashboard reporting is restrictive and really should offer more). The workflow reporting is limited and doesn't allow much customization. Sometimes our designated Aconex system consultants just quit or disappear and the communication surrounding it all is sometimes non existent.
My experience in the document control field for oil and gas spans 12+ years.
What I like most about this software is how easy it is to use. I also like the quality standards it offers with recording every change that is made within the system. The dashboard has all the relevant information needed to make your daily tasks easy to manage. I also enjoy having the ability to process documentation en masse with the bulk upload function. The drag and drop feature for uploading multiple files is also appealing. Utilizing this software for our document control functions and repository has been the best experience in all my document management software experience.
I would like for org admins to have the capability to add their own projects into the software module. While I understand that to have the ease of use features on this software, it may be required for Aconex to create the projects in the module, it would be nice if org admins had that ability. But it has not been a real hindrance, since the projects were created fairly quickly once the request was made.
Oracle Aconex: An Industry-Leading Project Management Tool
Oracle Aconex adequately fills our need for project management and communication between various disciplines from project start to close-out.
+ Well organized layout of information.
+ Integrated mail system that allows for easy multi-discipline collaboration.
+ Easy to locate documents and mail with multiple search fields.
+ Multiple file upload tool speeds up transmittal process.
+ Central project repository (if multiple projects are facilitated through Aconex).
+ Keeps all issued documents off local hard drives and onto a central server.
- Uploading files with the correct document properties manually can be a chore.
- Limited view customization. It would be nice to see a mail item on the same page as the inbox.
- You cannot right-click on the screen to open an item in a separate tab.
- No constraints on document register standards to ensure all disciplines upload correctly.
- Sharp learning curve for new users, requiring extensive training.
Really easy to use, minimum training required and user-friendly.
Reduce document controller, reducing email communication with large files as well. Centralization for all document control management.
Aconex is used by all entities involved for our project. This make document control management efficient and productive.
The best thing about Aconex is the document register : unlimited size of files, easy access to previous version of a file, link to all transmittal used to exchange the file and, the search is powerful. Easy and fast to update files for all document register that have already received a file.
Having to ask for a report of our distribution list, we should have this accessibility. The Insights should be editable by the project Management to represent what we should see.
A great tool for managing communication and documentation on highly complex projects
- Allows everyone to be working from the same revision of documents
- Captures all communications and documents in one single place
- Makes everyone accountable as no information/communications are deleted across the life of the project
- Workflow function allows easy tracking of approval and review processes
- Uptake by project team can be difficult to push
- Accountability as a result of communications/mails and documents never being deleted leads to a reluctance from some contractors and design team members to use the software even when mandated
- Cost management function in the past has not been on the same level as the document and information management platforms
Normal everyday use of programs to read notifications and download necessary files for work.
A lot of simple organizations and as such is easy to use. For example: a basic screen in the form of a table with all the necessary data.
There is no table listing all design reviews. For instance: the rows would be entered in the codes - the names of all the designs and the column numbers of the revisions. The dates of the revisions would be entered in the fields of their cross-section. Nevertheless, whether the table will be updated automatically (based on the code and the data of the document itself) or the document controller on the project will do so. This would easily and quickly find the required revision of a document that has huge number on large projects.
Second: notes when my tasks are approaching should be on INBOX screen in the form of a light signal - a bright-colored button, because the inbox screen is open for most of the time.
Aconex is a great collaboration tool for workflow, document and correspondence management.
- Use from start to finish on the project
- Control of tendering module
- Clear document review process under the workflow module
- Mail correspondence can be controlled under mail types
- Continual document register automatically updated on document transmittal
Users have the ability to create a project from the tender phase through the the completion of the project. There is the ability to create tenders, coordinate correspondence, share and store documentation, and defect management.
Difficult in getting subcontractors to sign up for a user account. There are also issues for project administrators having the ability to remove temporary / users no longer involved in the project. The mobile app is difficult to use.
It is the best exercise to upgrade my knowledge and makes it more easier.
I use to manage my documents very well and our client is happy with its performance.
helps us to organized our documents before inputting to the system. It changes our way keeping and managing our own files and adopting to non aconex projects.
Easy to understand and straight forward. Save search helps users to identify easily their documents. Confidentiality of records makes the management feel happy that they can keep the conversation on a level of management.
Accounts per project location need to be consider. and the Global ID interface must be develop.
some administrators of aconex forgot to match the numbering as per project vs the auto generation of document number. some of the columns has no option to sort.
Aconex is easy to use due to unlimited upload and downloads file for official submission.
It helps to reduce times and make works easier.
The workflow submission is very practical and suitable for project engineering. It reduce paper usage and helps to monitor the progress. The uploads and downloads file is unlimited which is very good for drawing submission in CAD format. It is also summarized the submission status because every submission is reviewed by many trades. Good job Aconex.
During workflow submission process, there is a bug which appear unidentified codes. It required to refresh page but it will return to the beginning and we have to start all over again. Aconex should fix these issues.
Consistency makes for efficeincy
The consistent way that each project is set up, makes for a good user experience generally.
Some PMs don’t use the tools properly. It is becoming impossible to work out what your actual tasks really are. RFIs get sent to everyone on the project team. Queries are more like statements, it takes longer to work out what the question really is, than it does to work out the answer. People should think about who they are sending queries “to” and who is just cc’d. Using the please respond by options should mean there is an extra onus on the initiator to close it out, or chase it up.