CATS Reviews

CATS

Applicant tracking system for professional recruiters

4.3/5 (133 reviews)
Benjamin J.

Without CATs I'm not sure how we would manage

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Excellent, the sales and support staff are always on point. I hate calling tech support in general, but really don't mind with CATs. Always affable and helpful. We have yet to have an issue that wasn't promptly resolved by the CATs tech support.

Pros

Ease of in-house communication and interoperability. Each user can easily see the work of their colleagues which cuts down on a huge amount of unnecessary communication. We can seamlessly take over each other's work when colleagues are on leave or otherwise busy. The application portals are very easy to use and the workflow is intuitive and useful. Honestly, I'm not sure how we could manage with such a lean HQ staff without having CATs.

Cons

The only con I can identify with CATs is their search algorithm. The Boolean search functions can be improved. For example, if I'm looking for an "Education in Emergencies Specialist" within my database and search for this phrase using the Boolean quotation marks I will occasionally get results that identify anyone who has the word "in" somewhere in their resume. Yes, I also get "Education in Emergencies Specialists" but also a lot of people with completely irrelevant CVs. Some of this is mitigated by using the tags, lists, and custom fields but sometimes weird results are populated. Again, this is really the only issue I have with CATs and I'm really nit picking here. I don't find this to be a significant impediment to my work, and the pros heavily outweigh this one con.

CATSone is better than most for less. Email sync issue, and reports are innacurate

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

CATSone is a great product and we recommend for anyone needing a applicat tracking system. its customizable to an extent. Fields are linked so you can't mess up data. Its good if you use it for CRM. Reports are odd, and email sync feature works 50% of the time. (adding emails to contacts in CATS with matching records)

Pros

Easy interface, great application site wizard , and great job site , built in, , customization of fields with restrictions (so you don't mess it up) . Status, and custom status available. Map custom status's to 'mapped' status. No cloud storage fees for resumes, or files that get attached to applicant / candidate records. API is useful but not without faults. Good custom reports per user.

Google drive link, and online MS word linked. Live previews of images. Easy to read reports (there are some faults) Reporting is best thought of as a gauge and not an accurate thing.

All around a great system. I recommend it to anyone whom has this need. Easy to use with live chat support per user for how to use it. Great training seminars. Etc. Good for when you hire 1 to 1. 1 hired applicant to 1 location.

Email sync feature is great when it works. 50% of the time. It may be related to email host. I dunno.

Reports are good. There are many. If you need New Applicants per user.. then you have to manually enter. But still many reports.

Great price point. Beats many more expensive systems .. its has faults as your gonna read. But don't let that get you down. It's still worth it.

Cons

Hired applicants are 1 to 1. Hired Applicant can only work in 1 location. It's just not set up for 1 applicant in many locations. Non hired applicants can apply to multiple places, just not work in multiple locations.

Its rare you need to hire one person in multiple locations.

Via API you could achieve 1 to many locations via API and custom fields. But it's not gonna be easy.

NO reports for new applicants per user if you use Live Job Application site.

Reports new applicants per user only by manually enter each applicant.

Reports can be difficult to understand. There are no white papers on it, and only some customer service reps understand it fully.

Email sync feature works maybe 50% of the time. (email sync places copies of your email communication in the contact whom has matching email) Results may vary depending on email provider.

Limited API calls per user, per hour. Need more ? They won't sell you more. You have to keep adding users. 500 API calls per hour per user @ $99 per user a month. but at least there are API calls. Really funky though. Be prepared to be confused. but eh , that's API ..

6.0/10
Valonda B.

CATS was a Godsend

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

We appreciate being able to unify our process, helping streamline our process, provide our applicants with a consistent experience, identifying where our good candidates are coming from and unifying our recruiting team and efforts.

Pros

I appreciated the support through the set up process and the responsiveness of the team to our beginning processes. There is so much customization for your workflow and we have appreciated all of the improvements to the system over the time we have used it. (over 6 years)

Cons

Honestly - it's really hard find things we don't like about the software. Support has been great about helping us to work around things we thought we wanted.

Amber W.

Excellent ATS Option

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Pros

We went from using the same ATS for over 17 years when we decided to make the change to CATS. It’s modern, sleek, easy to use and customer support is very easy to understand and knowledgeable.

Cons

I do wish there was a platform versus it being web based.

Jeff H.

Long time user

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

I switched to CATS more than a decade ago when it was a free beta program. It has been a part of my business on an almost daily basis. It's comfortable and hard to imagine switching to something different.

Pros

Great interface, comfortable to use. Becomes familiar quickly. Grown with the software.

Cons

No ability to drag and drop related emails or documents into a a candidate or client record.

Overall pretty good. Customer service is outstanding. However, some features are not intuitive.

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

I work at a recruiting firm and we all use CATS daily for our recruiting database. It is the most comprehensive and flexible software that we have found so far (though needs more flexibility in some areas). The flexibility in tagging and sorting candidates and being able to assign tasks to other recruiters has been great. The star feature, status's, adjustable application fields and archiving are fantastic features. We use this product daily and have been very pleased with it for the most part.

Pros

Customer service. Extensive database of information and flexibility in most aspects of the product to adapt to your needs.

Cons

Some settings are hidden and it's not intuitive about where certain features are. I don't like that there's not a way to preview the cover page in a job pipeline (like there is for a resume), you can't email multiple people to ask for reviews on multiple candidates (which would be helpful for us as we serve nonprofits and Boards with multiple people are often making the decisions).

Ann Z.

EXCELLENT customer service, they answer on the first ring!!

Reviewed on 2016/09/01

LOVE CATS, terrific applicant tracking system and EXCELLENT client support. We have invested in systems over the years but not being especially savvy with technical issues, have always run into roadblocks by not being able to utilize all the options and with limited customer support could never figure out how to implement half of what was offered...this is happily not the case with CATS.

Pros

LOVE the ease of use...even for someone like me who is not naturally adept at navigating my way through different systems, we have found that CATS is extremely user friendly, and on the occasions when we do need help, calling into their live US based customer support hotline and having nice, friendly people always eager and endlessly patient to help makes using CATS a no-brainer.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any negatives...we have tried out multiple ATS and CATS is at the top of the list in terms of ease of use and customer support.

Solid Recruiting Software for Recruiters

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Comprehensive CRM database for a recruiting firm. Couldn't live without it.

Pros

Customized Pipeline management. The database gives you multiple ways of viewing your pipeline. Combined with calendar integration, they make it easy to stay on top of your list of things to do. Loading in candidate resumes to a mailbox makes it easy to update the database. The capture tool makes it easy to load LinkedIn resumes to the database. The jobs integration to your website is easy to set up. Customer service has been great and the Price is very affordable. It's browser based and works on any platform.

Cons

I don't have have real complaints. They use a voting system to prioritize updates. Sometimes there are a few minor features that I would like to be implemented. But they are adding new features all of the time.

Marc B.

I love CATS

Reviewed on 2019/08/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is intuitive and easy to use.
It has all the functionality of a large CRM in a great software that is affordable

Cons

Have not found any yet. I would like a couple other calendaring functions but just a minor change would be it.

Ryan D.

We've had decent experience with CATS but are currently looking at other options.

Reviewed on 2018/01/04

Pros

It is less complex than other solutions that are bloated with unnecessary features. The LinkedIn plugins and resume searching is good. Customized workflows is a good idea although they lack flexibility to get at incorporate important data in triggers (like Activity notes associated with a status change).

Cons

It seems like the underlying data model of CATS limits what they can do with their product. Contacts and Candidates are tedious to work with and behavior seems to change randomly (i.e. duplicate logging of emails to a single person, merged profiles overwrite information). The email integration has been unstable and recently realized that it logs emails for users that are cc'd (not the sender) on emails which throws off metrics for our staff. The Slack integration is really limited and almost pointless (i.e. all messages go to same channel, no way to send activity information like notes for a status change). There is no way to associated an active assignment with a candidate (this is all done through candidate pipeline and status changes). There is no way to log activities for multiple contacts/candidates (like a group lunch). Calendar / Event Scheduling is clunky and behavior changes constantly. We used to make events visible to all so it showed up on the Upcoming Events on the dashboard but now they are only visible to the user that created it. There are many other nuances with private vs. public events.

Jeannine S.

Works very well for I need

Reviewed on 2018/01/08

Customer service is very personable and friendly – they have the rare gift of actually WANTING to be helpful.

Pros

It is customizable, versatile. I like being able to sort on the various categories. Every day I learn something new that the program can do / different ways I can sort the data.

Cons

I do not have any at this time. Upon further investigation, the issues that I thought I had actually stemmed from my own need to become more familiar with the program.

Response from CATS Software

Thank you, Jeannine, for taking the time to write a review of CATS!
We think we may already have a solution for the issues you mentioned. A member of our support team will be reaching out to help!

5.0/10
Lequay M.

CATS is a phenomenal tool for Corporate & Agency Recruiters!

Reviewed on 2014/06/26

Let me start by saying that I have been with CATS for the past few years. My experience has been nothing short of excellent.

CATS has far more robust features than the other recruitment systems I've explored and/or used. It can be used to manage candidate flow for existing requisitions or to build strategic candidate pipelines for the needs of the future. CATS is easy to customize the system internally to work within your existing recruitment processes. Most of the other tools I've used has required us to create multiple work around processes forcing and even change our internal processes to meet the requirements of the system. This isn't the case with CATS and it only took us an hour or two to set it up.

CATS has made various plug-ins available free of charge to its subscribers. These plug-ins allow you to do everything from edit resumes within the system using a Microsoft Word Plug-in, leverage WordPress, and even send LinkedIn profiles and resumes from job boards directly into the CATS system.

You can easily move data from other recruiting systems to CATS. You can either upload large batches of resumes or even upload a CSV document from Excel directly into the system.

One of the best features behind CATS is that it is a tool that continues to grow and is always improving. They continue to grow in excellence through the value they place on the feedback from their subscribers. Many of the suggestions recommended by subscribers have been implemented very successfully and relatively quickly.

I strongly recommend any organization looking for an extremely robust and customizable recruitment solution to consider CATS. You can even avoid lengthy contracts.

Pros

Robust Features
Customizable
Saves time by posting to various boards through CATS
Very user-friendly
Cost effective

Erik B.

CATS provides a better than average data warehouse for candidates and contacts

Reviewed on 2018/01/05

I can't really make an evaluation of this as we haven't used anything else in my time with the company.

Pros

-Fast searching and easy candidate importing
-Easy access from phone or computer
-Excellent uptime vs. other web-based ATS

Cons

-Disambigulation between candidates and between jobs is laborious
-Little support for texting, LinkedIn or other social media messaging
-Only allows one email per candidate to be contacted at a time
-No internal support for matching candidates based on town without ZIP code with a search for a specific ZIP--there should be an automatic matching of an arbitrary ZIP code withing the named town in a candidate profile when a user puts in a ZIP code radius

Alexis P.

CATS has been such a help so far!

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

We have been using CATS since May 2019 and so far I love it! We are a smaller - midsize company and I had been looking for an ATS that would help to make my recruiting process smoother. As the only recruiter here, I needed something to help streamline my process, hold all the candidates information, generate reports and make it easy to know what steps I am in during the process. So far it's everything we have been looking for!

Pros

The SMS Feature
Easy job posting
Quick Customer service
Quickly able to look at the candidates profile
Website to host your jobs, makes applying for the candidate easier

Cons

The learning curve, but that comes with any software.

Bill F.

From a Life Science Recruiter

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

Pros

CATs does a great job posting jobs to various job boards and makes it easy to customize forms and tracking of both candidates and clients.

Cons

They have issues when posting certain jobs that should only be posted on our company page and always seem to go out to all of the other job boards even when you get assistance from the CATs help desk - they need to correct this issues it has been an ongoing problem for at least a year or more.

Tom H.

CATS is extremely user friendly, and customization is a breeze

Reviewed on 2018/01/04

It is easy to use, easy to train new hires, and continually improves itself with little time-savers

Pros

user friendly, customization, search any field, schedule workflow triggers, constantly improving itself

Cons

Reporting should be more functional/customizable, and that would make the Dashboard useful - I do not use this feature now because of that. (Why can I still not run a report that shows me EVERY candidate I EVER submitted - that is crazy for an ATS!)

Mauricio B.

Nice tool as a Database

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

With the previous version it was an amazing experience, right now the only issue that I have is the tool is very slow response.

Pros

CATS is a very useful tool to keep all the information of customers, candidates, and with the new version is very easy to find the information.

Cons

Right now is very slow, I don't know the reason but is very slow, I think is because they release a new version and they are testing the tool, but right now is very slow

Lequay M.

CATS is an excellent recruiting solution for both Corporate and Agency Recruiters

Reviewed on 2014/06/27

Erik B.

Better than average product, best in class customer service

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Better than other ATS I have used. Since this is a recruiting and staffing tool, making it as simple as possible is a best practice since we need quick access to notes for reference more than any other functionality. It provides this quickly and efficiently.

Pros

-Responsive customer service
-Idiot-proofed functionality
-Mobile experience has 90%+ of the full functionality

Cons

-Latest upgrade to Nala was clumsy and left some very obvious bugs in for release

Michelle H.

We have been using CATS since 2011 and have noticed many great updates through the years.

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

It is user friendly and it is easy to find information. I like the boolean search features as well as being able to search by a particular field.

Cons

The system needs to be more customizable. There have been times when I have asked how to do something and have been told that it can't be done. For example, the reports section is unusable for my needs and I have to manually go in and create reports.

Cats is very user friendly!

Reviewed on 2018/01/05

It is our main CRM system.

Pros

Very easy to adapt the database to fit exactly what you need. Free job postings are the best I have seen. Love that I can download profiles directly from Linkedin Recruiter to the database.

Cons

Really tiny wish list: I wish they had an app for the smartphone. Wish you could use the chrome extension to download information to the database from any website.

Tom B.

Fits like a glove

Reviewed on 2017/06/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The product is easy to use, cost effective and works for small to mid sized staffing or consulting firms.

Pros

Common sense layout - intuitive dashboards - easy to build pipelines. Bulk parsing is excellent as is the email integration.

Cons

Reporting is not at the level I need for my reporting requirements. Some basic reports are not easy (if at all) to create.

Drew B.

Great for Smaller Companies

Reviewed on 2019/01/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This system is super easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training. Very simple easy to use process flow.

Cons

My only real issue with this system is the lack of reporting. As we got larger, we needed more metrics and reporting capabilities.

Danny C.

Overall a great experience utilizing CATS to get work done!

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

I love that the technical support of very responsive and open to new ideas in order to continuously improve the system.

Cons

The least thing I like is that it's not fully integrated on a smart phone. That makes working on a mobile impossible.

Phoebe S.

CATS has been a fantastic resource for our organization!

Reviewed on 2012/05/29

Overall, I would recommend this product to organizations looking to automate tasks and improve efficiency, but it works best as a compliment to other systems.

Pros

CATS has enabled our organization to streamline many of our processes and thus run more efficiently. Automating many of the tasks that we used to do repetitively has allowed for quicker response times. As well, the "add calendar entry" feature is fantastic and helps us to stay on top of all upcoming tasks.

Cons

The fact that each candidate can only have one profile makes it difficult for us when we engage the same candidate multiple times. It would be really useful to have multiple pages within the single candidate profile. The lack of this feature makes it difficult for us to keep track of all of our placements, which means that we have to use a different system to maintain our historical knowledge. Ideally, we would have one system that could do all of these functions. As well, the fact that is a web-based program is both a pro and a con - the con being that there is always the possibility that the internet will go down and we will lose access to our files. Having a complementary software program for our computers would be incredibly useful.