BQE CORE Suite Reviews

Gillian
Gillian

Great Product

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

I have consistently had a wonderful experience with BQE Core. They are always there to help out when needed, and the monthly webinars are always helpful.

Pros

Nice and easy to set up and very easy to implement to new employees. Customer support is wonderful and prompt. Lots of one on one training options that will walk you through everything you need. Many different ways to track projects, budgets, staff etc. Always growing and adding features based on feed back from customers.

Cons

Project management set up can get tricky since there is so much involved, but there is good training to make it not so intimidating.
Some features in project management would be nice to be available in Time/Expense subscription for ease of communication within the organization.

Christine

Existing User

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

We've had our ups and downs. After a couple of days on the phone with customer support, things have been clarified and settled. I understand some of my problems now and how to fix them. It is really the first time I have felt comfortable with my choice in software. As I learn new things, play with it more and talk with customer support things that I thought might be deal burners, are really not. We all need to accept change, and for me as a former development programmer, I am used to it. I was not that into our existing software that we are replacing as I only had to deal with it for a year as I am kind of the new employee. Yes, I looked at several different software options. Yes, some had more features than others, some less. It is going to be pretty difficult to find a replacement software that is exactly like the one you are replacing. My original review stated there were a lot of bugs. I'm not so sure about that statement any longer. For me, it works better through Crome than Edge. I did have quite a few issues when running in Edge. This may be a problem that has since been fixed, but I'm okay in chrome.

Pros

I have had more time with the software since my last review. As I slowly convert the firms old data to this new software, things are falling into place quickly. I'm becoming attuned to the software. Learning little things I didn't know where there, both by playing around and talking with customer support. This software is easy to learn. Not a real big learning curve, assuming you are familiar with project management, accounting, project setup or you have people familiar with those areas. I do it all, and basically maintain everything for everyone else.

Cons

I don't have many, but if I had to pick... they are not really cons, as I hope they will expand to these later on. API with Office 365/Outlook would be a nice added bonus. For me, especially Outlook. Also API with Quickbooks desktop version. This isn't a big issue, as I hope to also phase out QB and only use that software for payroll. Which I will then have an API if I go with QB Online/payroll. I will always use QB for payroll, so I am use to doing journal entries into systems to reflect the payroll numbers. This is not a hardship for me.

Deltek Vantagepoint, Kantata, Wrike and Zoho Analytics

Reasons for Switching to BQE CORE Suite

Zoho- (would have to interface with too many other software products) Mavenlink and Wrike, although awesome PM related software did not handle the AEC community as well as I would have liked. I currently have QB Enterprise Contractors edition, but it is for payroll only and duplicating invoices/checks from the old system at a high level for accounting purposes. This software did not, nor ever will do what I was told it could handle when I was looking to upgrade from PRO to an AEC community software. A total waste of high dollar money. Will go back to PRO or on-line for payroll only as soon as I am up and running 100% in CORE. Deltek, while they bought out WIND2, which is what I am replacing, and they covered pretty much everything in their new software options, I will not and cannot purchase a software where the company does not allow me some free demo months. If I couldn't demo and do one on one sessions with the software I was looking at and talk to techs, I wasn't interested. Deltek does not give you a free trial version and they are overpriced. Totally turned off by this company. They think they own the market in the AEC industry, and they really don't, but charge you like they do. Every software has a work around most of the time. I was determined to find one. Total Synergy...Never really gave this software a fair chance. With a walk thru demo, I was told something couldn't be done and just started looking elsewhere.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for 1-5 months

JUST DONT!!!!!! Refused to give refund after acknowledging it doesn't work

Reviewed on 2020/03/28

It was the most expensive waste of time I've experienced in a long while. It's right up there with Yelp advertising.

Once you get pay it's over. I determined that this didn't work for me at a bout 2 weeks in. But, I was patient and tried to work through it with them. Roughly a month later, we came to the understanding that it doesn't do what I need, and they can't make it do what I need. (Quickbooks and Method Crm was doing this stuff before)

I asked for a refund or even for the remainder of the year I paid for. I was told they "Don't Do Refunds"

So, They're cool with over-promising, Taking $650, understanding that you're not using the program any longer, and are dissatisfied.

Pretty Lame If You Ask Me

Pros

The Sales guy was really friendly and try to rush me into a holiday sale. I should have known.

Cons

It was promised to be totally customizable to any business. It absolutely was not. I spoke with customer service well over 10 times, probably 20 calls. They could show me how things were set up, but never really able to make it work with my business flow as I had with Quickbooks.

The program was often slow and sluggish between screen changes (I have very fast ethernet connection 250mbps DL speed). Many features were on different screens and made for a lot of loading time between simple tasks. Again....not customizable when I bring it up.

Response from BQE Software

Hi there! We are sorry that you weren't able to use the program as intended. We do offer 15-days free trial and live demos of our product and keep everything transparent to give our customers a chance to review the product before they actually purchase. We have hundreds and thousands of users worldwide who rely on our products each day to successfully run their business.

We are truly sorry to see you go and hopefully you will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].

Michael
  • Industry: Automotive

Great app and product for time tracking

Reviewed on 2024/03/02

Love the app will continue to use it. I recommend it 10/10!!

Love the app will continue to use it. I recommend it 10/10!!

Pros

I am an employee that uses this app to submit hours to invoice billing for our customers. It is easy to input hours, expenses and review history of past projects via app and website

Cons

Initially the app was difficult to modify hours and such. I have been using the app for 2 years and they have improved the app a great deal!

Katrina
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

A helpful tool, once you get used to it.

Reviewed on 2022/12/05

When we compared different software options (Quickbooks, Monograph, Deltek Ajera, Smartsheet) BQE offered the most options we needed (project management, invoicing and time tracking) at the best price.

Pros

I like having so much data at my fingertips to get a sense of finances for the company, tracking accounting (invoices, vendor bills, etc.). Customer service is AMAZING, you can call right from the app on your computer and they are available pretty much anytime, even when I'm working late. The workflow to be able to send things internally. The dashboard view is really helpful to see what's important to you. If you are already set up as a company, onboarding can be really quick as they have a team that can enter your data.

Cons

Data entries are sluggish, you have to wait for the line to be created before you can add information to additional cells. Invoices are not as tidy as I would like (activity & description, really duplicate the information). Individual training needs improvement, the consequences of choosing option A or B to enter information has consequences down the line that were not clearly explained and only discovered after months of entering in a way that was not what we really needed.

Amy

BQE provides strong support for customizations

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

Overall experience has been nothing short of great. The strong support BQE offers for customization has resulted in effective time billing management but also leaves us with satisfied clients seeing their contracts clearly on a custom invoice based on their requirements.

Pros

Our company transitioned many years ago to BQE from a different software which was not as detail oriented as we needed for project budgets as well as client satisfaction on invoicing. Offering services to many different types of agencies - from federal to local government agencies to the private sector, each client requires a different level of detail on invoicing. In the past, we have found it very difficult to track time and transition those hours into a contract based invoice.

Cons

Would like to see more streamlined and simplified process of client credits. Right now the only way is to have it has a retainer.

Cathy
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

CORE has given our principals and project managers more access to real time data

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

As we continue to get more proficient navigating CORE, it has given our principals and project managers more access to real time data reducing the potential for errors in reporting and data transfer in multiple areas to better service our valued clients.

Pros

Project management and accounting real time data metrics anytime and almost anywhere through cloud based hosted subscriptions allowing quick response time to our valued clients. CORE has eliminated need for complicated spreadsheets and various other methods of housing project data. Coming from QuickBooks desktop accounting which we have used for almost 19 years, CORE accounting subscription has given us access to company financial data anywhere. We are utilizing Core for time tracking, expense reports, billing, project management and accounting.

Cons

The display as feature needs to be expanded and made specific to invoices and time cards. Core has ePayments for credit card and we are waiting for ACH feature which is going to be there somewhere in August.

Alexandra

BQE Core Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

Since the minute we began to research and consider switching our project management software to BQE Core, we have felt that the team at BQE has been nothing but helpful through the process. The sales team were there to answer questions, suggest videos/webinars to get familiar with Core and to let us know about sales promotions we may be interested in. When we finally made the choice to move to Core, they were excellent at getting us set up with the software and following up on any questions we had. Since implementing Core, we have found that we have much better control over how our projects are managed, we are seeing much better performance data and are very happy with the product.

Pros

We like that there is a lot of control over how we set up our projects and the integration options available through Core. We recently made the switch to this software and find that we are able to track project time, expenses and profitability much easier than with our previous software.

Cons

Because there are so many options and settings it can take a bit of time to get used to finding what you are looking for. Things are taking us a bit longer to manage in this software - however, with more time using it and the training/support options available, we recognize this will only be a temporary issue to using Core.

Kerrie
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Invoices have been easier to process compared to previous software

Reviewed on 2020/07/23

Overall experience is great. As mentioned we experiencing error free time tracking, billing and the presentation of invoices is far better.

Pros

We use the time, billing and accounting functions frequently and it has made my job a lot easier and smoother compared to tracking down expenses and time for the team members. Processing reports are simple as well. Less error of tracking time/expenses as compared to our previous software. Invoices are more accurate. Invoices look professional and clean.

Cons

Cannot think of anything at this time. We are really enjoying the software

Carmen
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

So far we have had positive experiences in Core

Reviewed on 2020/06/08

Core has greatly solved our resource allocation, project management and Time & Expense tracking.

Pros

We are getting more and more use out of Core. So far we are just diving in, but it has helped our time tracking and expenses and keep our documents in one place. Allocation and forecasting, project management and time and expense setup are all helpful. We are using our custom report for allocations and it is working well for us.

Cons

Any changes, we pass through ideas and so hopefully they are updated as new features - we would like to know the status of our requests just so we can discuss in our meetings.

Irving

Best in Class Architecture Management

Reviewed on 2022/12/05

Overall, CORE has exceeded our expectations other than some basic simplicity in the user interface similar to Monograph, but with far more added flexibility meeting the daily needs of an architectural practice.

Pros

CORE has by far proven to be the most suitable fit for small architecture practices and firms as compared to many others out there cost hundreds of dollars more for each seat. The application serves our daily needs to keep our projects and staff on account, efficient and profitable.

Cons

Sometimes there's too much of a good thing, being that there's more than 1 way to get what you need and therefore it can get a bit complicated and confusing to navigate.

Monograph

Reasons for Switching to BQE CORE Suite

We came over from ArchiOffice and CORE offers flexible pricing tiers and discounts for long term subscription, as well as a full compliment of modules included.
Jill
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Robust Software Program

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

Tech support is the best I've ever experienced. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Just wish I didn't have to call them so much.

Pros

There were a lot of interfaces to this software. It did everything we needed, but not everybody was on board with the difficult of use.

Cons

It was probably way more than a company of our size needed. We are switching to Squava after just a year and a half. We felt like a beta tester of this software. Our project managers thought it was hard to use, and didn't feel our data was always accurately depicted.

Paul
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

If you can spend the time to implement it, it’s beyond worth it.

Reviewed on 2022/12/07

We have really enjoyed the experience, it has since become a bit more expensive and potentially out of our price range.

Pros

I love all the reports that we can create, track progress of our projects financially, and use it to teach our team about management.

Cons

The price to add users is a bit high. The ability to work through custom KPIs is tough.

Deltek Vision

Reasons for Switching to BQE CORE Suite

Easiest to understand at the beginning. Seemed to be right in the middle.
Jessica
  • Industry: Law Practice

Entering time is now much easier

Reviewed on 2020/05/04

Pros

Moving to Core has definitely helped us eliminate the manual data entry process. Prior to using Core the time entry process was not that easy and we had to enter time manually for all the employees in our old software. Another area that so far, we like in Core is the powerful invoicing. Easy time entry and invoicing feature are the best so far that we enjoy in Core. We also appreciate the excellent customer service support team. They always go above and beyond to help out.

Cons

Needs to be more user friendly. At time we did experience glitches which were rectified in a timely manner.

Julia

Great Time keeping and Billing software for Architects and Engineers

Reviewed on 2016/10/24

We discovered BillQuick on line after struggling with a user friendly way to record, retrieve, report and correct errors in time entries for our Clients. Filling in time sheets accurately is a critical part of our business and billing process. Unintentional errors on time sheets, with time entries logged under incorrect work phases or project scopes are inevitable and our previous billing software only allowed time entries to be moved one at a time, which was done when the WIP was being reviewed. The result was a painful and time consuming process at the end of each moth for our accountant which resulted in delays in getting our invoicing out in a timely manner. With BillQuick, time sheet errors can be moved quickly and easily across data sets in batches.

Changing time keeping software can be a stressful decision, often met with resistance from staff. However after carefully researching BillQuick and completing the training session, and seeing the ease and intuitive nature of the time keeping options, I was confident that I would be able to coach staff through the process with ease. The ease of time entries means that fewer staff are delinquent on keeping time sheets up to date. This has numerous benefits, the primary one being being able to bill on time. There are other time allowance features such as limiting time assigned to a team member for a project, and notifying team members in real time when the Fee for a work stage has been exceeds (time entry presents in red).

I was a bit skeptical about the claims of vastly reducing invoicing time, but from experience can confirm this is true. This software has enabled us to consistently get billing out within the first 10 days of the month, with invoicing taking a fraction of the time it used to. This enables us to close out each month efficiently, properly monitor quarterly and annual targets, and focus on fixing problems quickly. Ease of monitoring Fee Expenditure also means it is easier to stay out of trouble and address problems as soon as they arise.

There are many linked features such as monitoring staff and project profitability which provide solid back up data when assessing bonuses etc.

Pros

It is very easy to learn to use for both staff entering time and new accounts staff.
The ease of time entries means that fewer staff are delinquent on keeping timesheets up to date.
Projects can be broken down into phases - this is KEY for tracking fees within an Architectural Full scope of services.
You create your own Activity Codes which you can align with your preferred Contract
It REALLY does speed up invoicing tremendously
It offers a WIDE range of invoice templates and reports to analyse project Fee expenditure and report to Clients
It allows for various levels of security access so that Senior Staff are not beholden to the Accounts Department when they need to report to a Client or check the Fee against the Contract
All staff can monitor Fee in real time (assuming time sheets are up to date)
Senior Staff can easily monitor and give feedback to staff on performance and productivity, based on various time periods, for example on Billable vs non billable hours, contracted hours performance etc
The technical support is excellent
Integrated with Quick Books very well

Cons

I can't think of anything really....If I had to be critical I would say:
- there are so many reports that you are unlikely to use them all and can get lost in the Report Centre. However there are tabs for your favourites and memorised reports.
- Expenses are very very to enter but not as easy to unwind/change as Time entries

Lisa

BQE CORE Suite

Reviewed on 2022/12/07

The biggest benefit is not having to constantly perform backups and worry about losing our data because my computer crashes. Since we utilize several of the options we had before in BillQuick, we haven't made too many changes.

Pros

We upgraded from BillQuick to CORE earlier this year. The ability to access whatever I need online makes it so much easier if I need to work from a location outside of the office. Integration was effortless and the help videos are easy to understand and implement. I needed very little training as it was very similar to BillQuick and feel anyone who has used any type of accounting software should be able to use without a great deal of effort. There are several training sessions available to new users on a weekly basis that made it easier for me to schedule. The ability to get immediate customer support is a definite plus.

Cons

Sometimes I've had issues where it takes awhile to save time card entries but this may be an issue with our internet and not the software. There have been a few quirks where completed jobs suddenly become active; the interest in the bank reconciliation doesn't carry over to the general ledger. There were also several report default templates that were available in BillQuick that are not available in CORE. You may need to pay for a customized report that used to be free.

David
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

I highly recommend bqe - Core!

Reviewed on 2020/01/26

I value honesty, and I value those that take ownership. I recommend bqe-CORE. I just designed a ‘custom report’ for our company utilizing the CORE ‘Custom Report’ section. They were great to work with. We are now using ‘my’ Company report starting January 2020. This ‘custom report’ pulls in all our client ‘project data’ real time. It shows what’s important to us…. our project team. We have many concurrent project-phases (hourly or not to exceed contract phases) under the parent project, that start one year and end the next. This custom report is a great tool for us… color coded – RED, showing when over budget (time or ‘not to exceed’ contract fee).

Pros

We transferred 12 years of ‘Project History’ to bqe – CORE effective January 1, 2019. I am the Business Manager and I report directly to the owner of the Company. I keep current the clients we work with…..and all project-phase information for the company , billing – invoicing, using the CORE operating system. As a former Marine Corps officer…. then commercial banker (15 years) I believe that ‘People make the difference’….. not machines. The people at bqe – CORE, particularly the HELP DESK, are all professionals – they know what they are talking about and they care. I highly recommend bqe – CORE!

Cons

I wish there were more built-in invoice/report customization options

Barbara
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

We Are All Surprised I Am Writing This Review!

Reviewed on 2016/10/12

I purchased my first licenses of Billquick reluctantly, as an overpriced timesheet management system for my very small business and quickly began fighting to make it meet my partners needs for invoicing our clients. It was not pretty and there were times when we had serious discussions about whether this was the right fit for me. but the BQ team didn't give up and I am glad I did not. One advantage of a rough start was the opportunity to get to know and really appreciate the exceptional quality, skill, and patience of the support team assembled for BQ clients. Over the years, we have struggled and grown and improved our skills and processes together, and that is one of the exceptional things about this software and this company. They really do listen to their users and try to incorporate our priorities and needs into the upgrade process. The program is feature rich, and most companies won't need to use every feature that is available, but there are convenient and graceful ways to make each person's interface efficient, streamlined and comfortable. When the same program is usable for an intern on his first day and our power user when she is invoicing you know it is easy to use. I used to wish Quickbooks would get a better time management and invoicing capability so I could stop buying Billquick, but now I am trying to get rid of Quickbooks! The network versions work well, I can access the program over a VPN, and I have gone months without calls to the Support Team lately. Having grown from 5 to 30 employees since becoming a customer, I have to say, Billquick has been part of our path to success.

Pros

Great ability to customize individual user views, strong client and project tracking functions. Efficient invoicing capabilities with interface with Quickbooks. Consistent updates and improvements to the program. Very strong customer support and help desk.

Cons

I do wish there was a different pricing model that allowed different segmentation of the features, I would like to see stronger payroll/benefits/hr functionality and accounting completed so we can ditch Quickbooks, and my project managers would like additional flexibility in building gantt charts.

Andrew

CORE usage = happy owners = happy employees = good business

Reviewed on 2023/07/06

It's been a huge change from Deltek, but for the better. It's been fairly easy for two non-super-tech savy guys to run and implement, import 50+ existing projects with partial budgets, and the help line is GREAT!

Pros

The dashboard integration is great, could use a few tweaks but exactly what we wanted out of this type of software - project based management system.

Cons

CORE is set up to be based off individual projects which is great for our business, however Vendor Bills don't have an "easy sort" button to be associated with projects, instead it categorizes it by Vendor. When the PROJECT dictates the Vendor and their bill, everything should still be linked back to the project.

Stan
  • Industry: Accounting

Like the flexibility

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

I have used BQE product for many years. The product is stable and pretty straight forward to use and today after a long time I needed customer support. The response as always was excellent and the problem I was experiencing was resolved.

Pros

I like the flexibility and design of the software once I gone through the learning curve. The reports are straight forward and give me all the insightful data without customizing.

Cons

I find the billing process steps a bit awkward but I am used to them now. It is annoying to have to look for the most recent invoice under Invoice Review once the invoice is processed as final.

Sanda
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

It is easy to invoice projects and for time entry

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

We no longer have to rely on our IT to maintain the software and our servers or worry about the backups. Love the dashboards and overall beautiful looking interface of Core.

Pros

We have been with BQE for 17 years and 3 years back we made a decision to switch to all cloud BQE Core and we love it. This was the best decision! All our employees were onboard without any difficulty as it is very easy to navigate in Core and everything is consistent, with the result there is no learning curve between the screens. We are also experiencing that it is easy to do invoicing and track time in Core. We are taking advantage of some of the advanced features of Core like 'Report Scheduler' that has helped us automate the reporting process. Our clients electronically receive statements and accounts receivable reports resulting in less human involvement in maintaining the cash flow.

Cons

Very early on we were not pleased with updates stepping on our settings but since then it has been rectified.

Janiece
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Using Core has helped us analyze our data better

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

Pros

This software has lot of features and the best part is you can pick and choose the features that best fit your business. Although, Core is feature rich it is amazing how intuitive this software is. Support is great but most of the times we are able to figure out or answer our own questions if we get stuck that how simple and user friendly Core is. After switching to Core our management team is able to analyze the real time data to figure out the areas of improvement.

Cons

No real changes to suggest as of yet. There is already a lot to absorb. Anytime we need help or improvement in the software we send the feedback to BQE

Vickie
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Core has been a gamechanger

Reviewed on 2021/05/20

We use the Time, Billing and Project Management modules; with this, I've been able to reduce time spent on billing (and have much better analysis tools) even as our company has grown.

Pros

Logical organization of procedures, ability to customize reports, outstanding live help service.

Having staff manage time entries (rather than having to manually input from timesheets) has been a gamechanger. The reports are also hugely useful and help project managers keep track of budgets in real time. We're still learning and finding new ones that are useful to us.

Cons

Sometimes loading of project lists is a little slow/temperamental, but nothing major.

Teresa
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Everything that is charged to a project can be seen in real-time

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

We have been using BQE since March 2015. Prior to then, we kept all project information in QuickBooks. The staff were not able to see where they were on projects since they did not have access to QuickBooks. Currently everything that is charged to a project can be seen in real-time.

Pros

The ability for each employee to input their time/expenses is one of the features that I like the most. I also appreciate that staff members can check time and expenses for their projects to see where they are on projects with a budget. Invoicing is now streamlined because the information for the project manager's review is on one page. Budget information is on the draft invoice which makes it easy to see when a project is over/under budget, and who has coded time to the project.

Cons

I wish there was a better way of archiving old vendor bills.

Response from BQE Software

Teresa
thanks so much for your review, we are pleased you now have a one-stop shop in real time for your projects! Thanks for being a part of the BQE Family!

Jessica
  • Industry: Law Practice

BQE Core Review

Great I have already referred two businesses

Great I have already referred two businesses

Pros

User friendly software, training options and I love the 24/7 customer support.

Cons

Can not make edits for draft invoices you gave to delete the draft and redo the invoice. If it was in draft mode it would lie great to have the option to edit.