When I Work Reviews

When I Work

4,5 (1 062)
Staff scheduling, time tracking, communication & attendance

(1 062)

Bob
Bob
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Could not preform my job with out When I Work

Reviewed on 2017/10/13

I work on small and large project. When I work helps to project how long man power will be tied up on large project, which helps forecasting, cost of labor, project schedule, when we can schedule the next project. On small projects is makes a clear line of communication between the project manager and the field personal, so that everyone is on the same page when it comes to scheduling.

Pros

Create's a standard line of communication between management and field personnel. Also helps the field personal to be prepared for their next task.

Cons

I work on the road a lot. The program is much easier to schedule personal from the desktop than it is from using the app on a device. Although it does not affect me all the time, it would be nice to see an interface on the device that was more similar to the one on the desk top. At least just for scheduling.

Response from When I Work

Hey Bob!

Thanks for writing us a review! I am so glad to hear that When I Work makes communicating with your team easier and helps you be prepared for things that come up throughout the day!

Thank you for the feedback as well in regards to the interface on our app. I would agree - working on a desktop is much easier when building the schedule. Hopefully we can make improvements to our app to aid in making the schedule build easier.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Gregory

When I Work

Reviewed on 2023/05/24

Good bad simple to use

Good bad simple to use

Pros

Notifies employees of upcoming schedule, published schedules.

Cons

Unable to approve time cards if you schedule a manager that is not required to clock in and out

Response from When I Work

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback with us.

It's great to hear that When I Work is helping to make your teams' and your work lives easier.

It may be helpful to note that a timesheet can only be approved if there are existing time entries. If there are persistent issues with approving user timesheets, please reach out at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can further assist.

Thanks again for your time!

Chelo

Deborah

Going down the drain fast

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Terrible. When I first started with When I Work it was a blessing and helped our business work well. I don't know if they changed management or what but the customer service has gone down hill in the last year or so. We are a staffing agency. We depend on our scheduling service for our money our very heart of our bisiness. They made some changes that have totally made this service obsolete for our company and now - in the middle of the work week in the middle of the work day when all of a sudden the changes became in effect with no warning- we have to stop what we are doing and find another scheduling service. This is after they had a large glitch that made it very difficult for our business and fixed it after 4 weeks. Can't call anyone - not an option.

Pros

I felt it had good features in the beginning

Cons

When there is a glitch they don't fix it for like a month. They change features that are detremental and don't give an option to opt out. You can't speak to a person you have to email them with problems. When you do get a hold of someone they do not help you but just say the same thing over and over like: We are working on this at this time. No solutions.

Response from When I Work

Hi Deb,

We appreciate the detailed review.

I am sorry to hear you may have run into some issues with When I Work. When an issue is reported with the product we are not always able to guarantee a timeframe for when a fix would be released because it requires multiple steps and testing to ensure that the solution we implement is successful and does not negatively impact other parts of the app.

I am very sorry for the impact any issues have caused to your workflow.

The support offered through chat and email ensures that we can address the situation in a timely manner.

I appreciate your feedback on this experience. We are always looking for ways to improve.

Vicki

Alexis
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

I would recommend this product!

Reviewed on 2023/11/03

Pros

It is very easy to use and very user friendly. I have used it on the user side and have also helped my husband get employees set up on it for our business. My husband has always done the scheduling of employees on it. All and all, it has been very easy for us to figure out, as well as the employees downloading this app.

Cons

On the employee side of things, sometimes I felt the amount of emails and reminders it sent me were a bit much, but maybe there is a setting for that I could have looked into.

Response from When I Work

Thank you for your helpful feedback, we love hearing from you!

Maria

Best so far

Reviewed on 2020/01/24

This app is saving a lot of time in terms of scheduling for managers and really helpful for employees as well in terms of switching shifts or internal communication.

Pros

In terms of scheduling this is the best app, easy to see requests off or vacations, easy to set-up reminders, the shifts can be dropped and picked up with just a click away, easy to create schedule base on the sale, easy for employee chat or contact information.

Cons

I'll love for this system to be able to integrate with Payroll, but that's the only big downside. The second one is that for cross-trained employees (working several positions/roles) is not allowing the pre-set shift scheduling until you change the role that was initially assigned.

ZoomShift

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

I don't remember, but I think it was the price.

Response from When I Work

Hi Maria! Thank you for utilizing When I Work and for reviewing our application. We love hearing your praise for When I Work.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Veterinary

When I Work Works for Us!

Reviewed on 2022/03/22

Our schedules can (and have) change daily. For managers, having the schedule on-hand on any device has proven to be a huge time saver. Changes can be made immediately, in one spot and everyone on the team has access to the updated/most-current version of the schedule each day.

Pros

The staff's ability to clock in and out on their mobile devices is a game changer, especially if they are off site when they realize they "forgot" to clock out. The ability to share a "real-time" schedule with a large team of people is also critical.

Cons

On the admin/HR side it's a little complicated to read/compile the reports into usable data for processing payroll (it doesn't integrate with Quickbooks Desktop) but every thing else that helps the team out about this software is worth the small added labor to payroll processing.

Response from When I Work

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for taking the time to provide this thoughtful review. It's great to hear that the option to communicate real-time schedules is helpful to you. We appreciate your feedback regarding payroll reporting and what options would be most helpful to you.

Jessica

Helping us with labor

Reviewed on 2023/05/24

So far, so good.

So far, so good.

Pros

Attendance Reports are so helpful and will assist us in tracking and positively effecting labor.

Cons

No reports for tasking so we can look back to plan/coach forward

Homebase

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

Last system was "too big" for our size business - not user friendly - took 3-10 extra clicks to do things we do in When I Work

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

Support structure - ease of use - familiarity from past use

Response from When I Work

Hi Jessica,

This is Ky from the Care Team with When I Work.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us some feedback on your experience so far!

We're very happy that Attendance Reports have been a helpful resource for your team and is improving labor within your business!

Thank you for letting us know Task-based reporting is something you'd like to see within the app in the future! We appreciate your suggestion!

In the meantime, if you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

Warm regards,
Ky

Samantha

Great Way to Manage Time

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

We enjoy this program a lot.

We enjoy this program a lot.

Pros

It is easy to keep track on all employees. It is also very easy to see who is on the schedule for the week and fix times if needed.

Cons

We turned off the mobile access to be sure that everyone was being accurate and honest.

Response from When I Work

Hey Samantha,

Thanks for taking the time to provide awesome feedback on how When I Work has helped you and your team!

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions by submitting a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/, we are always happy to help!

Jeremy

Heather

Love this App

Reviewed on 2023/01/20

I have loved every person I have worked with. They have been super helpful and continue to check in with me to see if I need assistance. They don't just get you going and leave you hanging. [sensitive content hidden] has been awesome!

Pros

I love that I can create multiple schedule templates and positions. Also, LOVE the "drop shift" feature for our employees. This feature has made managing this for my managers much easier.

Cons

I wish there were more specific reports I could pull for payroll.

Response from When I Work

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your time in sharing this feedback with us, it is greatly appreciated!

We're thrilled to hear that your workplace finds the schedule templates, positions, and 'drop shift' features are impactful, especially for your managers!

We'd love to connect further regarding reports for payroll. Please reach out to our Customer Care team by submitting a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/. We'd be happy to assist!

Thanks again for your review!

Farrah

Ariel
Ariel
  • Industry: Restaurants

Simple software for employee scheduling

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

Pros

I like that I am able to see everyone schedule and it will tell me how many hours and how many hours this person has on one specific day and in total. I also like the fact that employees can put in for their days off on the app and then those shifts are available to whoever would like to work them first. I also like the sack that employees can get in contact with all levels of staff and management. It also allows employees to switch shifts, which has been an issue in the past. For one employee will say so and so sad they would take over my shift and this person has no idea what the person is talking about or says no I told him I couldn't do it. When all of it is done on the app you could hold people responsible for training shifts or picking up shifts.

Cons

I think on the scheduling part there could be a little more room. The employee list isn't double spaced and it's a regular size font. I also found creating staff schedules to be a bit of an inconvenience due to the fact that you have to use a cursor to pick a time spot and drag it from one side to another. It can often times be difficult when you're busy.

Response from When I Work

Hi there! Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to hear that the Scheduling features are working well for your Workplace. We also appreciate all of your feedback on where features can be improved! We appreciate your input!

Jonathan
  • Industry: Events Services

When I Work Keeps Us Working

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

WIW is extremely helpful to us at our company because we spend the majority of our day scheduling employees for various events that we run every week. Creating a schedule and assigning employees to it is super simple, as well as keeping a database and logging hours for our employees on site. It's all very user friendly and easy to use/look at. Their customer service team is always there to help and are super friendly. We have had many people who have been added to this platform, and have had no problem learning how to use it. It has been really great for us and helps us run smoothly. They have also been actively engaged with us to help us find solutions to the improvements we have requested.

Pros

When I Work is a great product that our company loves to use. We love how easy it is to create a schedule and assign employees, and all of the features are very easy to work with and aesthetically pleasing. We also like the ability to keep a detailed database of employees in the system. Their customer service team has been very friendly and are always there to answer our questions in detail. It is also a great platform for time tracking and exporting time sheets every week to send to payroll. Overall, it's the best platform we could have found to help us do what we need to do every day.

Cons

A couple features we wish they had:

- The option to create a preferred list in our employee database (A-list, B-list, C-List, Do Not Call List, etc)
- The option to be able to look at all events at once on the Time Tracker for the day (right now you can only look at one event at a time, which is hard when we have multiple events and sometimes forget which ones are happening in a day)
- To have a log of attendance (who was late, who called out, who was a no show) that is linked to a person's profile so we know who the problem people are (maybe a color coding that's like "green" if they are good on attendance and then gets closer to "red" if they have had several call outs/tardies)
- A way to add the zip code of an event to a schedule/job site that shows up on timesheet exports
- A way to send a crew memo or mass notification ("this shift has been cancelled" or "this shift has had a time change, please confirm") to all or selected crew members via WIW.

Response from When I Work

Hi Jonathan -

Thank you so much for such a wonderful and thorough review!

We're so happy to hear that you're loving the features we currently offer! I love the suggestions you've shared as well. We are always interested in hearing about your experience with our product and how we could improve.

Again, thank you for your kind word and fabulous review!

Worth Every Penny

Reviewed on 2022/01/14

Staff empowerment to take control of their schedule and the money saved from the time saved and less errors occurring make this experience worth all the searching for a new system. Also, the customer service is quick and straight to the point!

Pros

The ease of creating a schedule, distributing it, and letting staff handle their shift swaps or drops has completely empowered our team. The best feature is the 'history' button so that you know where it all began when shifts start with one employee and end with another. No longer do we have to hear, "I didn't know?" or "Who was originally scheduled?" because there's a ledger! Gone are the long, tedious hours of making sure the schedule is correct, every month, due to alternating work sites and schedules. Multi-site employees are never double-booked at different work sites, which is a game changer. Creating employee profiles take less than 60 seconds. Best of all, teaching everyone was not painful as there's a whole video on the website that walks everyone through the basics in less than 15 minutes.

Cons

The print feature is limited to what is offered with no option to change the font, unable to expand the daily roster (daily view is limited to 7 names on paper calendar), and there's no option to print in 2 week segments. This isn't a deal breaker, but the old school needs still exist of having a paper trail (even in PDF form) and due to limited names viewed on any given day, we can't use the feature to it's fullest. If the box for the day could expand to reflect all the names when printing, we'd pay extra!

Response from When I Work

Hi there! Thanks for writing us a review! We're glad to hear you are enjoying the app! Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ if you have any questions.

Great scheduling app with tons of features!

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Scheduling is EXTREMELY easy! Long gone are the days of paper postings and random email messages. It is VERY nice being able to reference your entire schedule from the moment it is posted, going all the way back to your initial employment. Even those with little to no computer experience can use it fairly easily.

Pros

It is EXTREMELY easy for the end-user to utilize this software. There are also some pretty good mobile applications that it offers which makes tracking your schedule very easy!

Cons

There are a lot of overly-helpful tips and suggestions that constantly spam the administrators' email accounts and scheduling interfaces. (Essentially the company does this to assist the administrators, but there is no way to stop it, which makes it very annoying after awhile). The mobile application can also be buggy at times, and the website schedule does not work properly on mobile phones that don't have a "desktop view", as the website does not have a mobile version designed for it. This forces you to use the mobile app on mobile devices unless your mobile phone can display it in a "desktop view". On a normal computer interface, this works just fine.

Response from When I Work

Hi there!

Thanks for taking the time to review our app. We are glad to hear that When I Work is making scheduling easier for you and your team.

If you are having trouble unsubscribing to our emails, please reach out to us at [email protected] and we would be happy to help get you unsubscribed on our end.

At this time When I Work is only supported on our web app via computer or or on mobile apps on Android and iOS devices. Our team is prioritizing consistency and parity between our web and mobile apps. I would make sure that you have the most updated version of the mobile app for the latest enhancements we have made.

Thanks,

Adrian
When I Work Team

Laurie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Good for specific types of companies; we needed additional functions

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

This software seems to be developed and used for companies whose locations do not change. I can see why restaurants and small stores would be very happy with this app. However, there is a large market "out here" for companies who send employees to many locations to have an app they can use also (housekeepers, landscapers, moving/packing companies, etc.).

Pros

It has many of the features we needed for scheduling employees.
We liked that more than one location can be scheduled for different employees, even sometimes on the same day. When we finally figured out how to use it, the map function was convenient because we go different places nearly every day. We liked that employees could see who was working with them each day.

Cons

There is no ability for employees to decline a shift. For several years, we requested the company add this feature. This turned out to be a deal breaker for us, and we finally went to another software.
I also thought it was odd that when a loyal customer of many years left, no one from the company contacted us to find out why.
Interestingly, the software we changed to also costs less per month, in spite of the fees they charge us for employees to accept/decline shifts by text message.

Response from When I Work

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a thoughtful review. I'm glad to hear that our multiple schedules and job sites features were helpful for you as your scheduled your staff. I'm sorry to hear that you ended up choosing to go with another software; we are always looking for ways to improve When I Work, so I really appreciate your feedback about allowing employees to decline shifts, rather than just confirming them. Thank you again for taking the time to give us this feedback, Laurie!

All the best,
Briana

Tom
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Nice entry level scheduling product

Reviewed on 2023/05/30

This is a huge time saver for me, as my time spend for scheduling and totaling time cards has dropped significantly. Additionally, my staff can easily swap shifts making it easier for them.

Pros

This tools allows me to more easily schedule my staff with my staff entering their unavailable times which display when I am scheduling. The time tracking in the application, allowing my staff to clock in and out on the app is great. All of their time is tracked, and I get their total time worked at the end of each period which has saved me hours of my time already.

Cons

Some features seem to need a little more work. Additionally, this tool has required a lot of experimenting to figure out how I can use it best for my business. The task lists are great once they are figured out. Unfortunately, updating (reordering the items) is not easy. Additionally, my staff have struggled a bit with marking tasks complete on the wrong shift, causing issues. The fact that the Android and iOS versions vary in navigation on the phone has also led to issues in the "implementation" of the product. Extraction of the time totals is not great, as it only works for certain products. I end up manually transferring time totals from this tool to my payroll system.

Response from When I Work

Hi there Tom,

Ky here from the Customer Care team at When I Work. I'm following-up to thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review.

To start, we're thrilled to hear you're enjoying having the ability to easily schedule your staff and have your users clock in and out in one place.

We also appreciate you sharing your feedback on the time it took to properly figure out how to use our Tasks feature and we'd love to hear any suggestions you have for improvement now that you've got it down.

We are always looking for ways to make improvements to our tools and to make shift work feel like less work so we appreciate you taking the time to let us know that a more seamless user experience between the iOS and Android versions of the app is something you'd like to see in the future.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'm always happy to help!

Thank you for being a part of When I Work, Tom!

Warm regards,
Ky

Joey
  • Industry: Entertainment

Makes my life SO much easier!

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Scheduling is a BREEZE!! You just have to try it yourself. There are way too many features that simplify my work load to list. All I know is that my business runs smooth as heck because of WhenIWork.

Pros

the software is great, but the customer service is OFF THE CHARTS! I wasn't a very tech savvy guy when I first started using WhenIWork, so I was constantly chatting with customer service and they were always extremely helpful, found answers if they didnt know the answers, and sent a handwritten personalized thank you card when I first joined. This is an example of a company that does things RIGHT! I love the scheduler, but also the hire feature, auto-assign, and the work chat allows me to email my entire team (as much as the employees change) without having to update a contact list email.

Cons

My business is strangely specific, so my needs are very specific. WhenIWork covers all the bases for me except being able to load saved shift templates from the mobile app. I can publish them from the mobile app, but I can't load them unless I'm on a computer. Which I am most of the time, so it's not that big of deal. I don't use a few of the features besides the scheduler, but having the options to use HIRE, TIME CLOCK, and other features are very helpful to other business mangers as well.

Response from When I Work

Hi Joey,

Thanks for such a fantastic review! Your reputation precedes you as a great customer to chat with, I have heard about the balloon pirate ship! We're so glad you're continuing to enjoy When I Work and that it has made running your business smooth!

Terra

Stephanie
  • Industry: Insurance

Very Satisfied User

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

I enjoy that the employees can verify their hours themselves and also put in their time requests. It's also convenient for the employees to be able to add notes regarding why they need an adjustment on their time sheet. I find that When I Work is very user friendly and that really helps my employees and I.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of being able to track employee time sheets. When I Work is very user friendly for both the administrator and users. I also am very impressed with the customer service department when I reached out to them regarding upgrading ny services and they were very helpful with recommending what would best suit the needs of both the employer and staff.

Cons

It was a little difficult for the employees to get used to the change of software that was being used for payroll, however, that is no fault of When I Work. Change can be difficult and hard to remember at times.

Response from When I Work

Hi Stephanie -

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful review with us!

I'm thrilled to hear that our Timesheets and features have been so helpful for you and your team! It's awesome to hear that our Customer Care team has been able to assist and be so helpful as well, thank you so much for letting us know!

If you, or your team have questions at anytime, we're here to help!

Again, thanks for this awesome 10/10 review!

Ashley

When I Work Tells Me When I Work

Reviewed on 2023/08/31

Our employees enjoy being able to see the schedule for the entire organization, as well as breaking down the view into their specific location when needed. They are also notified in real time of any changes that are made, and have the ability to trade shifts with other employees through the app.

Pros

When I Work allows us to schedule for all of our locations in one place. We love that we can color code each location and positio, making it easy to break the schedule down into various views.

Cons

We once attempted to integrate When I Work's time tracking feature, but there were several issues that could not be corrected for our needs.

Response from When I Work

Hi there Ashley,

Sarah here from the team at When I Work.

Thank you for taking the time to review the When I Work app. We are thrilled to hear that you love it as much as we do!

I appreciate your feedback regarding the Time & Attendance features not quite meeting your business needs. We are always looking for ways to improve the app and features, and user feedback is the most important factor in those improvements.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Care Team, or direct your team to, by visiting https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/. We are always happy to help!

Again, thank you for this review and feedback. Have a lovely day!

Sarah

Liz

Fantastic Tool!

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

I will never go back to the old way. When I Work has revolutionized my work day.

Pros

I have numerous staff working different jobs at different locations. Previously I was using Excel to schedule them all. Keeping track of days off and their class schedules was next to impossible. Letting the staff request time off and set their availability streamlined the process drastically. Since switching to When I Work my time spent scheduling has been greatly reduced. The mobile app is very helpful for my employees. The ability to designate positions is also very valuable. A large portion of my staff work in a child care setting so there are rules about qualifications necessary for each shift. I can designate which staff have which qualifications so that only eligible staff can be scheduled for a specific shift.

Cons

I don't believe I have any cons. Occasionally when they change or update something it will cause an issue. I contact their customer service and it is corrected immediately.

Response from When I Work

Hi Liz -

Thank you for this amazing 5 star review!

I'm so happy to hear that the features and options we offer meet many of your business needs and make your job easier!

Availability is one of my favorite features we offer since it helps managers get more time back and empowers employees to manage their time!

Thank you again for this great review!

Brenda

The software you didn't know you needed

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

Overall, I am satisfied with the software. I especially love that they incorporated a lunch break feature and even rolled out the live time clock to help you track your lunch!

Pros

I've been using WhenIWork for about 3 1/2 years now and the best feature that I enjoy about this software is that I can utilize my phone to track my clock-ins and outs. I travel a bit for my job and being able to clock in at any time without having to jump on a computer is great!

Cons

I love that it gives me a notification when I have an upcoming shift or when I haven't clocked into a shift yet (something you simply forget) but WhenIWork always sends me a notification that I haven't clocked out even when I have clocked out from a shift. I am not sure why it recognizes that I have clocked out but still sends me a notification that I haven't done so. It might just be a personal problem though.

Response from When I Work

Hi Brenda -

Thanks so much for taking a moment to share feedback with us!

I'm so happy to hear that you're loving the ease of using the app on the go with tracking your time! We're really glad our features like mobile clock in and breaks are so helpful for you!

If you're running into an issue with your notifications, feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist!

Again, thank you so much for the review!

Sam

Scheduling Entertainment

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Schedule 30 to 40 shows a month across 12 performers is a lot to keep track of. WIW allows me to quickly assign performers to shows. The Notification to the Performers is great and the Reminder 2 hours or so before the Show is excellent...

At one point we were doing shows every weekend and were using the OPEN opportunity. I would publish the date and time the opens would be published. Performers would be able to pick the show they wanted based on thier schedule. Being able too publish OPEN shifts in 1 push was very easy to do. I would fill an entire month of shows in about 15 minutes ... VERY efficient.

Pros

The monthly view give me the opportunity to see all scheduled shows and the assigned performer for each. So when customer calls with a specific data and time, I can easily confirm the opening and assign a performer to the show.

Cons

The ability to schedule repeating monthly/weekly events. While "every week" is ok, it does not allow for more complex calendaring such: as every 3rd Wednesday in every month, or every other Monday through out the year. This was a feature in the ORIGINAL WIW from 18+ months ago. There was a small ICON (an elliptical arrow icon) in the "TIME" dialogue box. When clicked it would allow for such complex scheduling ... PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

Response from When I Work

Hi Sam,

Thanks for such a fantastic review! It's great to hear that your scheduling has been made more efficient through the use of OpenShifts. Thanks also for your feedback in regards to repeating shifts, we're always looking for ways to make When I Work more useful for our users.

Terra

Michael

Attractive inteface, serious limitations

Reviewed on 2014/12/03

So much promise, and a very attractive user interface. This might be fine for very small businesses, but has major limitations for tracking actual labour costs vs projected labour costs which is a key aspect of time management. Actual labour costs show up in the dashboard as a pretty line, but if you want to actually know the actual labour cost by day or % for actual sales, forget it. You'll have to export into excel and go back to that old game. If you run a restaurant or bar this feature alone should be a deal killer.

Also if you run a company with multiple departments and want deptartment managers to be responsible for their own labour budgets but not view wages company wide...forget it. Supervisors can view wages for their department but not labour budgets! Managers can view wages and labour budgets, but company wide! So this system can work for a small business where one manager is in charge of all schedules but not for larger companies with department managers that shouldn't have access to company wide info.

When will they come out with these and other features and fixes? Who knows...all they can say is...maybe, perhaps at some point, we're trying. How about a development timeline that customers can see so that they can tell whether a needed feature is going to be 2 weeks or 2 years, or never? How about a response from the development team about when a new feature might come out? No, just keep hoping. Well sorry, companies can ride on hope. Shiftplanning seems to be in the same price point, with larger feature set.

Pros

Attractive user interface. Easy to set up and add new shifts and move shifts around. Responsive support.

Cons

No ability to track actual sales vs budgeted without exporting to a spreadsheet.
LImited access for supervisors to labour budget.

Response from When I Work

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the feedback. This is very helpful. You're right about our approach to features. We hold back and focus on the features we can make the very best. We'd rather do 10 things great, than 100 things mediocre.

That said, I think I can help in regards to your questions about LABOR BUDGETING. We have a "mode" that you can turn on that will allow you to see labor budget by day compared adjusted projected sales. We also show you labor cost by $ and %. Here is a screenshot that show's how the LABOR BUDGET feature works. See it here: http://i.imgur.com/mhWYAbE.png

Is this what you're looking for? If not, how would you change this to meet your needs? Really appreciate the feedback and would love to learn more about how you do labor budgeting in your restaurant.

Thanks again!

-Chad Halvorson
CEO / Founder

Justin
Justin
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Restrictive, Burdensome Software

Reviewed on 2023/10/04

Pros

we purchased an existing business using this software so we kept it but i would not have chosen this software on my own because you can find better features for the same price with less restrictions.

Cons

I was forced to source a competitor due to WhenIwork pricing. I found and switched to Homebase mostly because they offered payroll which wheniwork does not. The main reason i'm dissapointed with the software is that if you pay for the next month on the 3rd of the month and cancel on the 4th, you lose access immediately AND they provide no refunds. I can understand no refunds but if you subscribe to a software and your monthly billing is the 3rd of the month...you maintain that software until the 2nd of the following month. For that reason, i will make sure to take a few minutes of my day and spread the news to others looking for a scheduling app.

Response from When I Work

Hi Justin,

Shab here from When I Work. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about When I Work today. We are always looking for ways to improve, and customer suggestions and feedback play a big role in that.

Our Customer Care team would be happy to hear more about your experience with When I Work, or provide you with any assistance that you may need if you can submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/.

Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Warmly,
Shab

Karen

Ease of use that thus a great solution for us as a company to use.

Reviewed on 2017/11/04

Pros

It's a simple and easy solution for scheduling. The managers Like being able to view on a computer , staff use the app to see their schedules.

Cons

The is no where for managers to make notes on employees regarding that schedules. - example while an employee did not show up to work - if you use the shift notes every is notified . Haven't yet been able to see if you can create a small group chat - example only managers.

Response from When I Work

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to hear that you are continuing to find When I Work to be easy to use and overall a great solution for your company.

When I Work does offer the internal "Shift Notes" on an employee's particular shift. If you add these notes, only the employee will see and be alerted with these notes/changes. Furthermore, you may be able to use "WorkChat" to communicate with staff and/or other managers when staff do no-show. This would be a great tool for a small-group chat, here's more info: https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/using-workchat-computer/

If these ideas/tools above would be helpful and solve your concerns, would you be willing to increase your rating for When I Work? We'd love to help improve your experience and would be thrilled if you would consider this a 5-star app :)

If there are any questions and/or feedback, please email [email protected] and we'd be happy to consult further.

Thanks!
Sasha

Ken

When I Works works for me!

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

I do not have many employees on my schedule - only 10, but Incan whip up a schedule from scratch in 5-10 minutes.

Pros

It makes scheduling a simple task AND adds features like schedule templates open shift offering that are icing on the cake!
Customer support is responsive and very helpful.

Cons

I would really like a link to view an employee’s full availability directly from the weekly schedule. I have made a request, which was acknowledged in a very positive way. It hasn’t happened yet, though.

Response from When I Work

Hi Ken!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to review When I Work.

That is amazing you are able to whip up a schedule in 5-10 minutes using When I Work. I agree that the OpenShift and Shift Template features make things easier too.

I can definitely understand wanting to see availability while scheduling and I wanted to make sure you know that availability for employees does show on the weekly schedule page in the triangles you see in the corners of the app. If nothing is there, it is assumed the employee is available.

Here's a link to our guide that explains more about seeing availability when scheduling:

Thanks again for your kind words. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email us at [email protected]

Sincerely,