Microsoft OneNote Reviews

Microsoft OneNote

Collaboration and file management

4.5/5 (578 reviews)
Miguel G.

All your notes in one place

Reviewed on 2018/11/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

OneNotres has been a part of my arsenal of tools for the enterprise environment. I have used it on a personal level as well. I have used both the loal and cloud version, choosing the cloud due to my ability to access from any device. You can also add a local copy, depending on your subscription level, and sync your online content to your local machine. This helps in keeping your data in 2 places at once.

Pros

Microsoft OneNotes offer a single place to enter, manage and access all your notes. It provides flexibility in how you organize your content. From simple note taking to more complex graphics and images, OneNotes lets you organize in efficient ways. The use of tags helps you find what you need across multiple notebooks, section and pages. No more having to navigate through complex and cumbersome folder hierarchies.

OneNotes is a massive repository tool that takes the place of many other tools. Using OneNotes rids you of separate Tasks or To Do lists, file repositories, and even digital media. OneNotes lets you combine all your electronic files into a single place and manage it in a way that works for you. This level of flexibility is what gives OneNotes the power it has and its popularity.

Cons

OneNotes tend to have a different layout between the online version and the downloaded version. This might bring some confusion to some users. Microsoft is moving more towards the cloud, and until this becomes the norm and their downloadable applications can mimic the cloud experience, there might be a bit of a learning curve.

Mohd N.

A centralized location for all your notes

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/03/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Currently, I used OneNote to organized my meeting's notes and to attach them into an email so it's easy for me to send it to my colleagues. This is sometimes very useful when you are in hurry and wanted to inform what are the points were discussed in the meeting. Secondly, it is also very convenient to use it on all the platforms whether I wanna use it on my phone or my computer. I am exploring more ways as this is a powerful tool and has very few limitations which make it value for money.

Pros

it gives you the ability to create your notes as you create on a physical notebook, moreover, this notebook can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have access to the internet. The most unique part of OneNote is you can add multimedia and create your documents as much presentable as want. These documents can also be shared with others like your friends or colleagues, it would make this software as a one-stop solution for most of the writing and editing of your notes. I used many older versions of OneNote and then after upgrading to new versions of OneNote I came to know that your older note will not get erased. you can also use OneNote app for your smartphones which makes easier to modify your changes or to view any documents on the go.

Cons

One thing I would ever want in OneNote is the integration between various platforms, Currently, Onenote allows you to create notes or documents to share it with only OneNote users, whereas if I want to share it with Evernote users it will not give me an option for that. Moreover, I can not even import Evernote's documents notes into OneNote or vice versa. There are other ways through which you can do it but for that one has to download a migration tool. The security is also one of the issues which I always take into consideration when creating any personal note where I wanted it to be encrypted with a password. There should be some ways into OneNote where you can have a personal space which can be used for those secure documents.

Jessa D.

Office Product with the fewest syncing issues.

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

Pros

I'm completely dependent on OneNote. It's so easy to use and flexible, it holds every project in my life now, from planning out and organizing 60 slide competitor analysis presentations, to scheduling recipes for meal plans. It plays well with the other products, and unlike Word, I've never had a problem with syncing conflicts and generating unnecessary backup local copies, and I have yet to lose a single word of work. In fact, for one of my books, I didn't use Word at all and ended up doing all the chapters in the same planning pages I kept in OneNote. It's my secret weapon when it comes to brainstorming and organization and I can't believe more people don't use it, but then again, I am a more visual/creative person, so the ability to quickly throw notes or record a message and be able to arrange, sort or search and actually find it later is vital. Years ago, I used to use Springpad, and since then, I've tried Trello, Evernote, and all kinds of apps, but nothing has stuck.

Cons

Very few, it's so flexible it fills in a lot of gaps. I'd like it to be more visually customizable, like if you could add a backdrop of a chart or table similar to the Stormboard templates. Right now it just has a few pastel colors and lined and gridded paper types.

Nithya G.

One of the ideal choice for people who like to be organised!

Reviewed on 2019/02/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I’ve always struggled to find an app that streamlined all the notes that I have to save. When I first started using one note in 2017, it was a great way to gather all my thoughts in one place. I can continue where I left off and choose how I want to divide them into different sections and headings! I’ve also been able to advise a lot of small companies where I coach managers to start using this as a tool to share ideas amongst team members who can then grow the ideas further by brainstorming! I’ve been hearing positive feedback from other users to whom I have recommended this great software to.

Cons

If it is being used in team situations, if all the members of the team don’t get to use the product in the same way or understand the use of the note and it’s purpose, then it can be hard to collaborate using software. However the help guides can always be handy to solve such issues! So I don’t really have much negatives other than team environments where too many different heads thinking differently might complicate the notes sharing process.

Loralee H.

Easier than Evernote

Reviewed on 2017/10/26

Pros

I started using Onenote in 2007, and used it for everything. Then, everyone began recommending Evernote and I jumped on the bandwagon, but years later I realized that I was only saving things in Evernote - not accessing the information, using my checklists, etc. This year I've switched back to using Onenote and haven't looked back.

It's at my fingertips with all of my devices, loads quickly, and everything is sorted in a way that makes logical sense to me.

I can capture things I've found from around the web with the webclipper tool (very similar to the way the webclipper works with Evernote)

I can even use the bookmarks tool to add personal notes, recommendations and then share with other entrepreneurs.

Cons

- sharing sections of a onenote doc with others often requires them to log in, even if it's just set to "view only"
- Moving items between Folders is difficult (moving to other sections inside a folder is easy)
- it doesn't integrate with as many other apps as Evernote

Richard P.

Worth mastering to organise and find notes

Reviewed on 2019/01/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It is worth planning how to use OneNote. As a basic principle, I have all my filing structured the same across my apps and devices. My folders, bookmarks, emails and OneNote notes all share the same structure. This formed a good starting point when I decided to use OneNote seriously. the best thing is to get going, reflect and improve.

Pros

Excellent search across all books.
Highly flexible note taking: Type written, sketch, shapes, links to urls (useful for research) as well as to files and other notebooks
Tags that work across different notebooks.
Section and page groupings
Ability to move sections and pages to other locations.
Text formatting with headings
Extract to MS Word - useful for grouping notes from interviews or enquiries
Integrates seamlessly to OneNote on Android

Cons

No native vba engine to add functionality such as date sorting. This can be overcome by buying Onetastic add ins which are also modifiable.
Two versions of OneNote if you install MS Office. At least the pen button can now be configured to open the desired version of OneNote.

Forrest P.

Great Product for all the odd notes and document snippets you have

Reviewed on 2019/08/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This tool is great for getting all topically related content into one place for organization, sharing, and even simple presentations (no, everything doesn't need to be a PowerPoint).

Pros

This is very intuitive, easy to use, and flexible. No you don't want to replace Word or Excel with it, but you DO want to paste documents and spreadsheets into it that belong together - in fact anything that belongs "together" can pretty much be pasted in and formatted so that you can find and present it fast and easily.

Cons

Not much to dislike - it could use a bit beefier spell checking (which I think is actually in a newer version than I use), and some tools to layout the pages a bit better would be nice - please Microsoft DON'T use the one in Visual Studio as a starting point!

Victor A.

OneNote for all! Long Live Microsoft OneNote

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

Pros

The TCO is very attractive since this handy app comes with MS Office 365 or 2016, older versions has it too.
The App allows you to freely add notes handwriting and store images within the content, and the most exciting thing is that you can use in your computer, on the web, on your phone, tablet or wherever you go you can sync your notes. Sharing notebooks grants a plus to this app for fast and easy collaboration in real time with others. Even if they do not have the app themselves.

Cons

I'd like that the app could have the option to save files of greater than 100MB in OneNote. This would allow the use of embdedded video for instance.
Rather than the File storage limit I didn't found any other negative aspect.
Improve first-use sync/download time and experience, sometimes gets lagged on the first sync or under LTE bad connections using smartphones.
On Android can crash sometimes if the app is not up to date with the latest releases.

Sandy M.

OneNote helps me keep track of business and life

Reviewed on 2018/06/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I use OneNote every day, all day. It has my daily tasks and I journal it in at night. I have been able to go mostly paperless as a result of using OneNote in my life.

Pros

The best thing about OneNote is the search feature. I have 140 notebooks and without the robust search feature, it would be difficult to find things so quickly. OneNote is easy to use and helps me organize and track everything from medical information to client data. It also integrates with Outlook, Word and Excel, making workflow very streamlined. I use all the versions including desktop, online and the mobile app - allowing me to have all my information readily available all the time. I create checklists, templates, and forms in addition to free style writing.

Cons

It's difficult to find anything negative about this software. If anything, the limited functionality of the online version (onenote.com) compared to the desktop version would be my only complaint.

Justin H.

Microsoft OneNote

Reviewed on 2017/11/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I love onenote! It has revolutionized my ability to collaborate with others and take personal notes for meetings or other work functions.

Pros

Incredibly easy collaboration for use across teams. A key feature here is the default setting that bolds all text added by other users, making it very easy to identify comments or additions made since your lost log in. Additionally, the hierarchy of notebook-sections-pages allows for categorization of large amounts of information. The ability to type or hand-write (if you have a touch device) really provides flexibility and a true alternative to written notebooks. You can also convert comments or ideas to to-do action items with check boxes. Finally, the ability to drag and drop files takes this notebook to the next level compared to similar products.

Cons

The primary con is consistency in syncing up notebooks between users. When I collaborate with others, i encounter sync issues occasionally. Any breakdowns typically occur the first time the onenote is opened, but once both users are able to access the notebook this issue seems to not be a problem.

Bridgette S.

Simple and Efficient

Reviewed on 2019/01/31
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Great product, useful for both personal and business needs! Would highly recommend to the public.

Pros

1) All your meeting minutes, engagement notes and general notes are located in 1 easy to reach location
2) Pages can easily be sub-divided and color coded, making it effortless to organize your notes, and stay that way
3) The platform's color scheme is fantastic lets be honest!

Cons

1) I am not a huge fan of the lack of connectivity to Microsoft Teams. I have now worked at two jobs where we were forced to delete the Notebooks and start over due to an error or a corrupted OneNote Tab within Teams
2) Its a bit cumbersome in the mobile format on the app. Still gets the job done but it could be improved
3) I would appriciate the ability to add more "tabs" before the section tab. I know it sounds odd, but in One Note you can only add a section tab and a pages tab after, I would like a 3rd level of differentation.

As a writer, OneNote is indispensable.

Reviewed on 2018/12/08

Pros

For a writer, OneNote is indispensable. When writing, you want to have an outline fleshed out so that once you start writing, it's easy to connect the dots since you've already done the pre-work. OneNote enables this easily. I can create separate sections for Characters, Outlines, Plotting, and Settings. Within those sections, I have pages such as Character 1, 2, 3 etc. Arc 1, 2, 3, Cities, Shops, Homes. Once I start writing, I keep the outlines section open, where I break it into 5 10,000 word pages. If I need any information from the other sections or pages, it's as easy as clicking over to them. Since I started doing this, plotting and outlining is a breeze.

Cons

Exporting as a PDF isn't available online, you have to have the local for that. Sometimes it doesn't sync well, so I have to manually re-sync the two to get things back in order. My biggest con though is that my sort order doesn't stay put. Whenever I log out, the next day, my sections aren't in the order I put them in, so I have to go back and re-organize them. It's definitely a pain that, while it's a small issue, when you do it every single day it adds up to a rather large annoyance.

Andy K.

Great organization tool for any type of project

Reviewed on 2017/09/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I love the fact that no matter what type of project, from buying a new accounting software to filling positions within our company, OneNote allows me to organize all of my documents (pdfs, word docs, excel spreadsheets, etc) all in one place. OneNote also allows me to create bullet points, check lists, and even collaborate my work with others on the project. Best of all is the access I have from a variety of devices including my Apple Watch, MacBook, Windows based laptop, etc.

Cons

Within a tab it is often hard to make individual pages easy to understand that they are beneath/ under another page. Very rarely I have to step back and reevaluate my organizational strategy and have to reformat my "books" or tabs. By no means is that the end of the world. Just rarely can break my workflow and cost me an extra minute or two.

Daniel G.

Better than Evernote

Reviewed on 2018/12/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I used to use Evernote, but there’s a limit when using it for free on how many devices you can have their app installed and syncing with the service. OneNote does everything I need with a phone, tablet, and computer. It also has more formatting features for formatting your notes and texts than other services have. Organizing notes and tabs are incredibly easy and helpful. I love the ability to use a surface pen to write the notes or to use checkboxes to make to-do items in the same note instead of needing to use something else.

Cons

Most of the time, I don’t have any issues with syncing between devices using OneNote. Every once in a while, there are conflicts with it not saving to the cloud properly. When OneNote loads the differing notes, it’s not always easy to consolidate the differences.

Alex T.

Robust, Quick, Multi-Functional

Reviewed on 2018/07/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

By far, the most robust note-taking app I've yet encountered. More than you need if all you want to do is take notes, but excellent if you want to do much, much more.

Pros

Best search feature I've encountered in a note-taking app. Lightning-fast search functionality. The search functionality is so good, two of our teams use this as an information repository. Handwriting feature set is exceptional. Upload from mobile to desktop is speedy. Love the ability to drop entire spreadsheets or emails, etc., into a note and include a screenshot or even some of the source app's functionality.

Cons

Notebook>Tab>Note structure is a little unwieldy, but you get the hang of it.
Because you can fit so much data into a single note, downloads to mobile devices can be slow.
Cloud-based usage is frustratingly laggy, but this is true of all MS products.

One Note - You got everything You need to note.

Reviewed on 2019/01/13

Pros

A clear and simple tool for anyone to organize notes, perform some structure and never lose his\her brilliant ideas, thoughts or product list for shopping. One Note gives an opportunity to save various notes, edit them, add links, pictures, etc. One of the brightest things are - several notebooks in one place, handwriting (you can write down or draw any idea without typing or taking pictures), sharing.
While sharing some of your notes you can start a collaboration or share your insights with your team.

Cons

I can't mention something really serious. Up to me, it's a good tool, one of the MS still working well nothing to say about Skype and others. In addition, it would be great to have a browser plugin, as far as I know, there is none right now.

Stefanie U.

Daily Use for Better Organization

Reviewed on 2018/12/26

Pros

Easy to use interface and compatible with other Microsoft software. It uses the cloud so you are able to access your information everywhere. I am on the road a lot for my job, so I create To-Do lists and organize information using my phone and then am able to access that information using the desktop app on my personal computer and then use the web app any where there is an internet browser. I have also used this app to organize my classes from school. It is like carrying around a succinct, portable notebook in your pocket.

Cons

When first setting up the app on a Microsoft computer, the software gives you two options to upload your notebook. This can sometimes be confusing and the two interfaces are not the same. I prefer the desktop app.

Austin G.

What would I do without it?

Reviewed on 2018/05/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This application is part of my set of auto-open apps that I start as soon as I log in for the day. It's that vital to me. I love the ability to copy text or an image from a website and have the URL of the source pasted in right alongside it. It blew my mind when I first encountered the feature. This application helped me through a very challenging training course and I continue to use it every day.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to organize tags. Don't get me wrong, being able to show a list of all tags in a notebook is great. But due to the amount of tags I use, it can be a little overwhelming. This may be more of a training/discipline issue, but with everything else that OneNote does great, there's a real opportunity here.

Barton W.

Onenote is the most flexible notetaking and retrieval program I have found. Its power is its lightning fast searches.

Reviewed on 2017/07/03

Pros

The ability to separate subjects into separate notebook files. And that you can input data from your camera, voice dictation, typing and HANDWRITING!!!. When you enter a picture that contains text you can enable Onenote to make text searchable. I can write notes on top of our schematics to show changes to my colleges. Onedrive allows me to access my data from my phone and desktop without having to take an extra syncing step.

I have digitized our manuals and share them via web over our intranet. That is very handy.

Cons

This product is not configured well right out of the box. You will have to google tutorials on how this should be setup to get the most out of it. Good news is that this is a one time setup.

Joel M.

Effective and organized digital notebook

Reviewed on 2018/10/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It is an effective tool for meetings, it makes my notes organize and above all keeps me up to date of the important activities, and can be opened in any device.

Pros

OneNote by Microsoft is a perfect replacement for notepads on meetings. The convenience it brings to me by just using a laptop or a tablet to take note the important details during our meetings in the office and important details for my project. I've been using this software for years now. It makes my notes organized. This is user-friendly and is a perfect tool for personal or job related notes.

Cons

I have no regret for using OneNote. I am wishing for upgrades soon on the software. I am disappointed, because it does its functions very well.

Mary W.

This program got me through college!

Reviewed on 2018/08/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

While needing to take notes in college at the fastest possible speed, I did not have to worry about the program re-formatting or messing with my notes. I could place notes anywhere on the page, highlight sections, and draw arrows, circles, or whatever was necessary to adequately take the notes. I loved handwriting notes, and this was just as enjoyable and was the way that I was able to get through college and prepare for tests successfully!

Cons

I potentially would have liked slightly different ways to organize folders, though it worked out well mostly. I do not concrete cons about this program because I think that it did everything it needed to!

Dipesh P.

Digital Board with flexible features

Reviewed on 2018/05/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This is the best tool to organize your work, take notes, clip images/screenshots in any business. It is like digital board where you can write anything, anywhere on the screen with complete formatting. You can copy and paste images along with text.and the best feature is you dont need to save any of your work on this board. Hence, reduces the possibility of loosing your notes due to unexpected power outage or system problems.

Cons

I haven't seen any cons as such. I mainly use this tool to take my notes, add some clippings related to my work. However, it does not support handwriting. It would be very useful if we simply draw anything on the screen.

Scott H.

Great Notetaking Tool and Research Repsitory

Reviewed on 2018/06/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Highly recommend that you use it frequently. It is my go-to note taking device and allows me to easily organize my stuff in a way that mimics a paper based note system while getting the features of cloud based storage

Pros

I love the fact that I can manage multiple notebooks for work and personal use. I use OneNote to keep track of User Recommendations/Feedback, future tech enhancements to our site, projects etc. On a personal front I keep articles I want to read, lists of books that are recommended to me etc. Its a great clipboard.

Cons

There aren't a lot of downsides. It would be great if they would start to include a clipping tool for other browsers like Chrome, but I think that is unlikely.

India P.

Great for IDEAs and Note Taking in one location

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

Has several different books you can save in and go back and forth between. Does not require you to press save each time when you add or subtract information. It has several abilities that of Microsoft Office, and easy to use. The setup is very easy to learn and become familiar with if you have even basic knowledge of the Microsoft Office family of Software. It has a desktop and cloud version, which can be customized when it syncs, and to whom has permission to view and make changes and if a password is needed to view certain pages. You can create multiple pages, and tabs, for each idea. You can review your change history, and undo or redo changes. You can customize your own icons. It has extreme versatility and functions. From other note-taking apps I found this to be the most beneficial to my needs. It has copy and cut features like Paint, and you can place screenshots in One Note. For someone with millions of app ideas, or music ideas this app would be great it also records audio and video.

Cons

I found it hard to delete notebooks, still unsure how to do it, I can close a notebook but to perm. delete one shoudl be a bit easier. I honestly has been a few months, I use it everyday and have not found any signifigant glitches or issues to complain about as of yet.

Gena R.

One Note is a great organization tool!

Reviewed on 2019/02/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It's great for school use too and you can use it from a creative perspective and draw etc. also.

Pros

Not enough people know how great One Note really is and how much it can help you organize your life. In a work setting, one note is able to import your emails so you can seamlessly organize any to-do's or meetings throughout the day. I use it for conversations with employees, so I can always have a tracking method for any conversations that took place. It's really intuitive and simple to use.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about this product. It really is versatile and simple and Microsoft has made it easily transferable to their other products too.