Little Green Light

4,7
Jeri S.

Great Solution for Small Non Profits

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

It's made keep track of and mailing donation receipts a million times easier and has proven to be a good alternative.

Pros

Very Nice Interface and a simple system for entering and searching donor records.
Designed with non profits in mind.

Cons

Multi-item donations are annoying to input due to a single line field for donated goods.

Carlene B.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Low Cost Effective Donor Management Solution

Reviewed on 2020/07/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I'm able to clean up a database that had become a hideous mess in GiftWorks Cloud. I'm able to identify and easily clear duplicate donors and duplicate gifts. (I've removed about 300 duplicate constituents so far … roughly 8% of my total database … about 100 more to go)

Pros

It's super easy to learn and use. Everything you need is built in -- the dashboard that keeps you focused on what you have (or haven't) recently raised against your goals, the basic reports (which can be customized). Donor record entry includes US mailing address verification -- yay! LGL is also clear about what it does and doesn't do. So it doesn't claim to link directly with a peer-to-peer product -- and it's also not messing up my database by uploading a duplicate entry for every single person who registers in the peer-to-peer product (which has a different default name protocol).

Cons

So far, I don't have any complaints. I'm already using features I didn't expect to (emailing directly through the system, which allows the Contact to be automatically logged in the Constituent record). I suppose LGL could be prettier. But given the choice between pretty and functional, I'll take a product that works any day.

Shana K.
Industry: Education Management

Great value

Reviewed on 2020/10/26

Pros

As a new customer, we are very happy with the features, the capability, and the ease of use.

Cons

We haven't found anything yet that isn't great!

Rosie C.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Clunky, skinny, but cheap

Reviewed on 2017/05/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Customer service is friendly but I don't like that I can't reach them immediately.

Pros

This is great if you are a smaller organization--maybe no more than 2,000-3,000 donors. It features basic gift entry, pledges, contact info, etc. If you are a nonprofit just getting started, this could work for you.

Cons

Not intuitive. Hard to learn. Tutorials are complicated. I've been working with it for 4 years now and still not sure how to run reports. Not robust nor intuitive. Our organization has moved past the effectiveness threshold of this product, and we are looking at others.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Aj A.

Little Green Light

Reviewed on 2020/08/05

So far it has been a great.

Pros

Just launched this for our organization. Straight-forward migration/transfer of data from former application. Easy integration with website, donation processor. It will streamline our donor acknowledgement process. Great price for what your get. Fabulous customer service.

Cons

It's very feature-rich, but it does take awhile to navigate and learn the processes. Would love a way to produce more custom reports using the photo-image field.

Erin D.
Industry: Fund-Raising

Perfect for small to mid size shops

Reviewed on 2020/05/06

My overall experience has been pretty seamless. Everyone is helpful and friendly when you contact them and it is very reasonable priced!

Pros

I implemented LGL at my previous school and inherited it at my current one after having recommended it to my predecessor. We have about 10,000 living alumni and it's the perfect software for small to mid size shops. The reporting isn't always as sophisticated as some others I've used in higher ed shops but it get the job done. And it has more features than one realizes so like any software you need to make sure you're utilizing them all as best you can. I used a recommended consultant when setting the system up and she was VERY helpful and talking through the implementation specific to my organization. I highly recommend investing in that service to get you off on the right foot.

Cons

Reporting isn't my strong suit, so I'm not sure if it's me or LGL but either way I think that area has the room for continued improvement, which is the nature of reporting anyways. And it still gets the job done right now. It's not bad at all!

Rachel C.
Industry: Religious Institutions

A great CRM platform for nonprofits

Reviewed on 2020/04/30

We used to have our constituents' contact info, contact report info, and giving data scattered across a motley collection of manually- and inconsistently-updated platforms, and none of it was integrated with Constant Contact or our email. It was extremely difficult to search for constituents or financial gifts or tag them in any useful way. All truly meaningful information was stored in our team members' heads, where it could be lost track of, and this was having a negative impact on our fundraising. LGL has enabled us to pull our many disparate forms of data into a single platform, unify them within each constituent's record, start sending out automated acknowledgements for donations, stay in close communication with each other about each constituent, and overall just improve our ability to provide a high-quality experience for our constituents when we reach out to them.

Pros

Its customizability; its absolutely top-notch and responsive customer support; its rich metadata and extensive set of features; its powerful import engine; its flexible report functionality; its integration with automated acknowledgement emails, Constant Contact, and webforms / online payment processing; its great support for task management and communication between team members; and the fact that we can download a comprehensive export of all its data at any time, which makes keeping backups easy.

Cons

Navigating through all of its complexity can sometimes be confusing and intimidating at first, until you learn its workflows; search is fragmented—you can't just search and get all records that might match: you have to search in one place to find constituents and search in a second place to find financial data and search in a third place to find activity data; the inability to hide UI elements for features we're not making use of; not quite as much roles & permissions flexibility as we'd like.

Perfect for Small Orgs

Reviewed on 2020/03/02

Great experience. We moved from tracking gifts on a Google Sheet, where you couldn't easily see a donor's big picture commitment to the organization.

Pros

I self-taught myself LGL, and to me that says a lot about the software. It's really easy to use, and the integration to Constant Contact is a big help to us. I also love the bulk edit option, because as I learned more about the software, I decided to change how I coded some gifts. The bulk edit option made it really easy to change those gifts.

Cons

I wish that there was a field for gift fees, versus inferring the fee from the difference between the gift amount and the deposited amount. I also would like a fee for deposit amount, because sometimes I make multiple deposits on the same day. But ultimately, these would be "nice to haves".

Taylor M.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

The perfect solution!

Reviewed on 2020/07/12

Pros

Little Green Light has made such a great impact on my organization! Now we are able to easily see our contacts and donation history in one place, and the ability to use forms to process donations directly into our tracking in LGL has been a total revolution. With public access to the Knowledge Base not buried behind a paywall, I was able to quickly ensure that the software met our needs before even bringing it up to management, and it has made the setup and customization of the software much more simple and direct. With a discounted one year subscription, you shouldn't hesitate to see if LGL will also be the perfect fit for you too!

Cons

I have run into difficulty integating LGL with our current email manager, Mail Chimp. This is in part due to a multi-audience setup and limit on the number of available contacts in Mail Chimp - which is a problem with Mail Chimp and not entirely due to LGL.

Heather K.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Awesome for smaller organizations or large ones that are pretty simple

Reviewed on 2020/08/15

It's been great. Used it with two organizations now and it's fairly intuitive and well documented.

Pros

The price was the first great thing, but ease of use is another. You can easily teach yourself to be good at this platform vs more complicated ones.

Cons

I have no complaints with it. The box says it needs more characters...

Sarah N.

Our Perfect Solution

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

Coming from Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge ridiculously expensive and overly complicated system, every single thing about LGL is a breath of fresh air and a joy to use.

From working with our consultant on data migration to every day use, it's intuitive and simple to use. I'm still learning new and impressive functionality and am pleasantly surprised every time.

Updates that are rolled out actually fix issues or improve functionality ( they listen to their users!).

Customer service is email only, but usually quick and very helpful. The Facebook community is a nice addition as well - sometimes I can get answers there without needing to contact support.

I only wish we had made the switch sooner - would have saved our organization tens of thousands of dollars and myself so much frustration.

Pros

1. The price absolutely cannot be beat, especially compared to Blackbaud.
2. It's just so simple to use. Intuitive, quick, and easy, yet still packed full of useful features.

Cons

Initially, what I liked least was that there was no live phone or chat support; email only. But, the longer I use LGL and see how little I need support, the more I don't mind it at all. Plus email support usually replies quickly and has the solution I need.

Teresa D.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

Satisifed Customer

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

We are now able to effectively track:
-Donor history
-Donor relationships
-Send auto-acknowledgments
The entire dev team can now work from the same set of data--increasing our transparency with each and improve succession of responsibilities.

Pros

Has all needed functionality--especially relationship creation--for an absolutely affordable price.

Cons

Layout, aesthetics. In particular, the categories section of the constituent profile record is difficult on the eyes.

Helen C.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

LGL has taken us to a new level of operational maturity.

Reviewed on 2018/03/22

We took twenty years worth of excel spreadsheets with the names of donors, prospects, event invitees and attendees and consolidated them all into LGL. At long last we have a robust and dynamic system that has helped us learn more about our donorbase and their giving trends. This has been invaluable for our current fundraising efforts and future projections. Not to mention the time we have saved managing our donors and development efforts.

Pros

For a small non-profit, affordability and ease of use are critical requirements and LGL offers both + more features than we could have ever hoped for. I knew from the first moment, after using the Flex Importer to upload a list of donors from a cumbersome old Excell SS, that LGL would forever change the way we organize, track and communicate with our donor base. The ability to easily enter constituents then segment and organize them with mailing lists, categories & tags has helped us achieve a maximum return on our appeals and events. LGL's integration with MailChimp has helped us quickly and inexpensively reach out and stay in touch with our donors. Our Letter and Email templates ensure that we send the right message to the right people at the right time. The Dashboard is a delight, both aesthetically and functionally - easy on the eye with quick access to everything I want to see and do. I am pleased with the reports and the ability to edit or build new ones as needed for specific purposes and audiences. My last top "pro" is LGL's Customer Service - best on the Web! Admittedly there are some features of LGL that I have yet to explore but as all non profits know , there is never enough time. That is why LGL is so perfect. Whatever type of non profit you are, be it large or small, however you might be staffed, be it by a low tech volunteer or a FT development director, LGL offers features and functionality at all levels that will help you grow and thrive

Cons

LGL offers so much more than any comparable program that I am just grateful to have you around! Cannot think of anything that I dislike about a company that is offering such a fantastic service to the non profit community.

Sarah P.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

GREAT donor database with top-shelf features for small budgets

Reviewed on 2016/08/29

I've been a fundraiser for 25+ years, primarily with very large organizations (raising $100 million+ annually), and had an opportunity to use a range of nonprofit databases, including home-grown systems and some of the best-known products from large companies. I've been through database conversions on large scales (50+ users, 25,000+ records), and advocated for and managed budgets as a member of the management team. I chose Little Green Light (LGL) after researching options for a small nonprofit where I'm the executive director. (5000 records, 3-5 database users, $350k annual budget)

Pros

As a fundraiser, it's intuitive and has all the features I appreciate and need to support my moves management work. As the database administrator, chief data entry staffer, list- and report-creator and website integration specialist, it's intuitive with great customer service and on-line resources to allow me to meet our organization's needs.

Given the opportunity, I would have selected LGL for my previous organizations. It's got all of the meaningful and useful features to support fundraising and data management needs without requiring us to pay for bells and whistles that sound great to upper management (and those who aren't on the front-lines for fundraising) but keep the majority of users from being able to take full advantage of the system.

Cons

There are a lot of great integrations, but since we don't use the bulk emailing products supported by LGL, we've had to try to create our own.

We LOVE the ability to create web forms that integrate with LGL and the ease of adding them to our website, although sometimes figuring out exactly how to map the data is beyond us without a fair amount of trial and error. On the other hand, these are tasks I never would have attempted with other systems and that we're able to do without paying thousands of dollars to consultants - which is vital with our very limited budget. We've got access to big-budget possibilities and investing the time and energy generally makes them possible for us. That said, without experience working with bigger systems in the past, I'm not sure I would understand the opportunities or be able to figure out how to tap into them.

Bonnie H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Little Green Light has transformed my ability to steward my donors and track donations.

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

It's given me hours of my life back due to all the work it does automatically. It makes me look like a superstar in my job. It gives me the ability to look back on years of data and see trends and improvements. It gives me peace of mind knowing that my data is stored safely on the cloud. It gives me something to say when sales people for Salesforce come calling...and it has healed the psychic damage that was done to me by trying to make Salesforce work for us. It satisfies my love of data and databases and perfection.

Pros

I love the way it integrates online donations into my donor records -- so easy and so professional. I especially appreciate their customer support -- if I have a question, I just send an email and I get a quick reply within hours. The software is very user friendly and adaptable to my way of doing business. Clearly it was created with a great understanding of nonprofits!

Cons

While I love having the ability to track and create acknowledgements, there are some features in this area that don't fit my process. I write cards by hand, and sometimes I only get a couple done at a time. I wish I could mark them done individually rather than by batch. I also would like to have the choice of Volunteer Hours under Related Gifts--several companies, like Microsoft, donate to us for volunteer hours put in by their full time employees. And I wish that when a recurring donation fails that the donor would automatically get an emailed notification from LGL Forms.

Paul L.
Industry: Higher Education

A wonderful reasonably priced fundraising software product

Reviewed on 2020/01/05

We track our donors in it, including all contacts and correspondence.

Pros

We're a modest organization and some of the fundraising software is incredibly expensive, up to 5-10 times LGL's modest $400 yearly cost. LGL is extremely reasonable, but also very powerful. It lets us record all the key data about our donors and prospects. It lets multiple staffers enter and access the data, all for one reasonable price.

I love how you can do a BCC to their dropbox address on a letter to a donor and it gets automatically added to the person's record. There's a slight learning curve to segmenting donor lists and spitting them out in reports, but it can really do pretty much anything you need. So we're very happy with it and will continue to use it.

Cons

I would like to be able to delete some of the standard fields that are designed for schools, which is where the product got its start. And it would be nice to be able to call for help, but their staff is very quick and responsive when you email them. Maybe they could offer a premium option for some phone help. But honestly, it's just a really good product, especially if you look at their extensive online help section of how to explanations and videos.

Daniel W.

Little Green Light brought our growing, volunteer-run nonprofit into the 21st century.

Reviewed on 2018/01/12

Being cloud-based, Little Green Light allows several board members to access, add, and alter donor information. This turns our database into a collaborative crowd-sourced information bank we can all use wherever we may be even on our mobile phones. The sort and search features in the reporting system are as powerful as any I've seen in far more expensive software.

We moved to Little Green Light from a Filemaker Pro database maintained by a single board member. She is still our key administrator, but now she feels appreciated and supported instead of isolated. The improvement in morale alone is worth the price of admission!

Pros

Powerful and versatile, Little Green Light has all the features I was accustomed to from software at other nonprofits I've worked at including eTapestry and Bloomerang but at a fraction of the cost. The interface is highly intuitive, and LGL has shown a real commitment to continual improvement over time. I truly enjoyed the data migration process from our old system to LGL in part because we worked one-on-one with a Little Green Light consultant (Carrie Grote) who treated us as if we were her only client.

If you're a startup nonprofit wondering whether or not to take the leap into state-of-the-art donor management, I strongly recommend Little Green Light. It may easily be the only software you'll ever need to track and nourish donor relationships.

Cons

There are some minor tweaks that might improve Little Green Light. For example, when a donor wishes for a gift to be anonymous, there's a checkbox you need to hunt for. But honestly, the folks at LGL are way ahead of me when it comes to finding and fixing flaws. I bet the next LGL upgrade will be light years better than anything I can even imagine.

Dave C.

Little Green Light Shines Brightly for Constituent Relationship Management

Reviewed on 2019/08/03

LGL facilitates the business-critical task of entering, tracking, and acknowledging gifts. It aids in segmenting donor groups and making 'touches' throughout the year as appropriate to each group. Customer support is outstanding, with quick response and helpful suggestions to achieve desired function or process.

Pros

Web-based product eliminates software maintenance issues. Great functionality, including integration with e-mail and physical letter production. Facilitates team management of data for multi-location or traveling workers. Most functions very intuitive. Customer-focused support staff very quick to respond to inquiries. Powerful query & data selection, great control for construction of reports and letters. Attaching documents & comments to record is easy. Tribute function facilitates handling of one-time gifts in memory of deceased constituent.

Cons

We have 20+ letter templates in LGL that we print onto an MS Word letterhead template that changes at least annually due to Board composition. We haven't yet determined how to have all the LGL templates point to a single Word template. For each change, we have to re-associate the new Word template with each LGL template.

Cathy S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Best Donor Software Ever!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2016/09/20

I have assisted 2 nonprofits in switching to LGL. It was a huge undertaking with the first one, over 40,000 constituents and 350,000 gifts to migrate over. They helped me find a qualified consultant, and we accomplished it in a very timely manner. The end result is Fabulous! I would HIGHLY recommend for anyone looking for a flexible, all-encompassing software!

Pros

The flexibility of LGL to accommodate and streamline multiple softwares, such as volunteer software, grant software, donor software, client software, calendars, tasks, etc. LGL has been so helpful in suggesting solutions, and allowing us to eliminate several costly, single-use software products. Their support and help sections are unheard of! I have NEVER dealt with a company that is so prompt in their responses and so helpful. They have webinars and many video trainings available to do on your own time. And their cost is one-fourth of what we paid previously for our old dinosaur program. Queries and programs are very easy to use. Very modern look, totally customizable for your organization. You will be amazed at everything it is capable of.

Cons

The only thing I wish it would do is have an appeal performance report, and I believe that is in the works now.

Russa W.
Industry: Philanthropy

Great Program with Amazing Support

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

Pros

Very intuitive, ease of use and great aid

Cons

I wish there was a better way to send emails and auto responses. Interface could use an update

David U.

Reviewed on 2012/02/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The Vermont Italian Club is primarily a membership organization whose purpose and mission is education of Italians and non-Italians in the Italian culture and heritage. We do this by encouraging participation and study of the Italian language, arts, and culture through lectures, presentations, films, study groups, formal classes, celebrations, and other educational events and activities.

We are a small group with about 200 memberships and 475 entries in our database. When the group was smaller and before we invigorated the organization in 2009-2010 with new leadership, all membership information lived on spreadsheets. We knew that we needed a system that could grow with us and deliver the kind of information and reporting we needed. We evaluated other systems, but they were either far too expansive and/or too expensive for our meager budget.

With no offices or paid staff, a fundamental requirement for our donor/member management system is that it be browser-based and accessible to our volunteers from their PCs in any location. In addition, the system had to be easy to use, reliable and include features that we would utilize as we grew, developed an online presence and added people to our database.

Little Green Light seemed just right for us both in capabilities and price. Although it was fairly new at the time, we decided to adopt it because we believed LGL would grow as we did and it more than met our needs at the time.

The conversion process from spreadsheets to LGL was far easier than anticipated when we adopted LGL in 2010. Staff was very accommodating and helped us through the transition smoothly. We were up and running within a few days. The ability to administer the various functions, categories, tags for member/constituent data is very flexible and easy to grasp. LGL has continually enhanced the system with new features.

We have never looked back and remain enthusiastic that we made the correct choice. LGL continues to evolve and they listen to their customers for new feature development. In recent months they have launched tight integrations with WuFoo (online forms), MailChimp (email management), and PayPal (payment processing). All are useful services that offer a small non-profit like VIC easy and affordable integration with robust third party offerings. Those we have implemented work smoothly to reduce data entry and the inevitable mistakes of manual processing.

LGL service has been outstanding, better than I have encountered from any systems vendor, to small and intermediate sized users. Their online knowledge base and responsive voice and email support is well beyond my expectations.

Janet T.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Little Green Light Software

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/11/04

I am pleased with it. LGL offers ways to automate processes. We're still learning how that works since we just started using it a month ago, but we will take advantage of it.

Pros

It's fairly easy to use. They have a knowledge base with training videos and written information along with live virtual classes. There's a Facebook users' group where one can ask questions. They also offer webinars where the max class size is four and the instructor addresses specific questions. They have been very responsive to my emails.
The flex importer was great to have for importing all our donors. It took time to set up our spreadsheet, but it was worth it not to have to manually enter each donor.

Cons

Since I'm new to this type of system (constituent relationship management), there's a lot of new terminology to learn. It's not so much a 'con' as a steep learning curve for me. One piece of advise for the Flex Importer: be sure you understand the difference between a campaign and an appeal. I had to make corrections to our data since I misunderstood it. Fortunately, we're new and have few enough donors that I could make corrections.

Maggie L.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

We find LGL easy to learn, intuitive and intelligently designed.

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Inexpensive, easy to learn and use; great reporting function

Pros

We like best how easy LGL is to use and understand, along with how flexible it is. Our organization had been preparing to migrate our data and begin using LGL for many weeks prior, when Hurricane Harvey hit on August 25th and our organization mounted a huge response, along with a huge fundraising campaign, in the midst of the chaos of a natural disaster. We had expected to completely transfer over to LGL at the end of September. In the first 10 days after the hurricane landed, we had donations pouring in, and our previous donor management system was just not handling the work. It was actually getting in the way of fundraising. So in the middle of a chaotic natural disaster response, during our busiest fundraising days ever in our history, we decided to make the jump early, without having really trained our staff nor fully learned the system. The transfer was nearly seamless. The system was so easy and intuitive to learn and use that we changed over to it without a hitch, and it has been smooth sailing every since. We love everything about it -- the ease of recording data, the power and ease of reporting, the responsive help line -- everything. We would--and have--recommended this software to other nonprofits without reservation. We have only used LGL now for a little over 3 months, and have not yet fully explored its performance in tracking data for major gifts stewardship and corporate sponsorships longer term, but so far we couldn't ask for a better system.

Cons

The dashboard/home page is jam-packed and not visually appealing -- and yet it does give a nice snapshot of lots of data.

Mike R.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Powerful tools in a package for non-profits of all size

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

Overall we are extremely happy with Little Green Light. The use of the Little Green Light forms helps us easily track where our donations are coming from, and the rest of the constituent management tools allow us to have a complete picture of our donors. I
I would (and have) recommended this product to any non-profit that does not have a dedicated data team to manage their database.

Pros

I love this nearly everything about the software. It is easy use with an intuitive UI. The reports are easy to run and manipulate the export fields and being able to schedule reports to run is fantastic. I also find the ease of creating contact reports and tasks to be refreshing and helps to stay on top of donor relationship management.

Cons

We've run into a couple of relatively minor problems. Specifically, only being able to have a single gift batch open at a time, setting permissions for users is not as flexible/easy as I'd like, and (everyone I work with knows this is the one thing about the software that truly drives me crazy) is the inability to have a pledge paid off with a third party.

Annette M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Excellent product, exceptional features, outstanding value

Reviewed on 2017/09/28

I have used a lot of database and donor management products and Little Green Light is the simplest to set up and use of any of them, especially for unsophisticated database users. It still requires a knowledgeable person to lead the implementation, import data, design complicated forms, set up syncing between forms and the database, and train other staff, but staff can easily grow comfortable with using LGL for all their daily data needs. LGL has a clean interface, is responsive, and flexible. Although there are a few things I'd like to work a little easier, especially setting up links between forms and the database, all-in-all, I highly recommend this product. Non-profit database systems don't come any easier, especially with all the features LGL offers.

Pros

It is sophisticated and, yet, easy to use. Support staff is responsive and helpful. It has all the features we want and is able to give us the data and information we need without writing SQL statements, like some other top-name products require. In fact, the dashboard gives us our membership numbers without even having to run a query. Excellent value. I love the comparatively low cost to other similar products. I love Little Green Light so much, I have implemented it in three organizations I'm associated with.

Cons

Linking forms to the Little Green Light database can be complicated. Occasionally, I'd like to talk with a support person to strategize a solution, rather that just communicating by email.