Little Green Light

Emily W.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Quickly Outgrew LGL

Reviewed on 2021/02/22

Our organization moved from Excel to Little Green Light and we used LGL for several years. However, we quickly outgrew it. It was ok in the beginning when we weren't generating a lot of income and didn't need to run many reports. However, the more we grew, the more LGL did not work for us and we ended up switching to something else.

Pros

Inexpensive, good for small organizations who are just starting out

Cons

Reporting was not intuitive or easy to use. Lacks fundraising and email marketing capabilities that come with other competitors.

Aleena R.

Ease

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

Of all the software I use daily for my work, LGL is the one that consistently makes my job easier.

Pros

This product is incredibly easy to use. If and when I do come across issues or questions with the software, even my specific use (or misuse) of it, the LGL Help resources can usually direct me to a solution. If I can't find help there, the LGL support team always has a solution for me in a timely manner.

Cons

I thought that it was difficult to begin using the software, importing constituent data, etc. but that was simply because I hadn't ever used CRM before and was completely new to the system.

Rori M.

Best Software for Nonprofits

Reviewed on 2021/01/07

For the price, this is absolutely the best marketing decision our team has made. It does eveything we need it to do and is tailored for the nonprofit sector.

Pros

This product integrates directly with our email marketing software - Constant Contact. We were able to create a form on Little Green Light that links directly back to our contact database and put it directly on our website. Each person that signs up for our email newsletter is put directly into our contact database and into our constant contact list. It has made our work more streamlined which for a nonprofit with very little staff and resources, has made a huge difference in our workflow.

Another amazing feature is the Little Green Light Knowledge Base. Any question you could possibly have about the features of this software are covered in their knowledge base. It's easy to search and find the information you need. Everytime I look for something, I've easily found it.

Cons

The user interface could definitely use some work. It looks a little outdated and can take some exploring to discover all of the features. Also the original transfer of contacts was pretty time consuming, but that's to be expected with any big switch between CRM softwares.

Brian C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great affordable database

Reviewed on 2020/12/18

We've used them for years, both for tracking our engagement with students, but also as a donor focused database. It serves both needs very well.

Pros

Little Green Light is robust but incredibly easy to use. It is far more affordable than many comparable products on the market. I highly recommend them

Cons

It took a little while to get all set up, but we expected that from any product

Zahra M.

Non-profit donor and volunteer database

Reviewed on 2021/01/14

Pros

LGL is very user friendly, one of the easiest tools I've ever used. It practically has all the features you need to manage your donor database and manage your volunteers. It's also easy to work as a team, assign tasks to team members, add notes and create contact reports. It's also very easy to generate queries (searches) and create reports based on your constituents or donation reports.

Cons

Sometimes creating complicated searches and reports are not possible. For example, it's not so easy to create a report based on relationships.

Jocelyn J.

LLGL - Love Little Green Light!

Reviewed on 2021/01/17

The knowledge base for LGL is one of the best I've ever used. It's comprehensive and the search function is well-designed. Anything I can't find in the knowledge base I reach out and your absolutely excellent customer service has been responsive and quick. They really know their product and features and you can tell, because you always get the answer you needed.

Pros

The search function for constituents is excellent. The PayPal integration, the reporting, the knowledge base - all of this is very helpful. I also appreciate your newsletters - I am still learning non-profit donor management and I always find something of interest.

Cons

I'd like integration with Stripe for payment platforms. I also think I'd like an easier way to take notes or keep notes about donors. Right now there is just a large blank text box for "Background Info"... if I want to note phone calls or conversations, or updates about this person it all goes into one box. Might be nice to have a feature that's like a chat update or a post that keeps track of these for you.

Erin D.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Perfect for small to mid size shops

Reviewed on 2020/05/06

My overall experience has been pretty seamless. Everyone is helpful and friendly when you contact them and it is very reasonable priced!

Pros

I implemented LGL at my previous school and inherited it at my current one after having recommended it to my predecessor. We have about 10,000 living alumni and it's the perfect software for small to mid size shops. The reporting isn't always as sophisticated as some others I've used in higher ed shops but it get the job done. And it has more features than one realizes so like any software you need to make sure you're utilizing them all as best you can. I used a recommended consultant when setting the system up and she was VERY helpful and talking through the implementation specific to my organization. I highly recommend investing in that service to get you off on the right foot.

Cons

Reporting isn't my strong suit, so I'm not sure if it's me or LGL but either way I think that area has the room for continued improvement, which is the nature of reporting anyways. And it still gets the job done right now. It's not bad at all!

Helen C.

LGL has taken us to a new level of operational maturity.

Reviewed on 2018/03/22

We took twenty years worth of excel spreadsheets with the names of donors, prospects, event invitees and attendees and consolidated them all into LGL. At long last we have a robust and dynamic system that has helped us learn more about our donorbase and their giving trends. This has been invaluable for our current fundraising efforts and future projections. Not to mention the time we have saved managing our donors and development efforts.

Pros

For a small non-profit, affordability and ease of use are critical requirements and LGL offers both + more features than we could have ever hoped for. I knew from the first moment, after using the Flex Importer to upload a list of donors from a cumbersome old Excell SS, that LGL would forever change the way we organize, track and communicate with our donor base. The ability to easily enter constituents then segment and organize them with mailing lists, categories & tags has helped us achieve a maximum return on our appeals and events. LGL's integration with MailChimp has helped us quickly and inexpensively reach out and stay in touch with our donors. Our Letter and Email templates ensure that we send the right message to the right people at the right time. The Dashboard is a delight, both aesthetically and functionally - easy on the eye with quick access to everything I want to see and do. I am pleased with the reports and the ability to edit or build new ones as needed for specific purposes and audiences. My last top "pro" is LGL's Customer Service - best on the Web! Admittedly there are some features of LGL that I have yet to explore but as all non profits know , there is never enough time. That is why LGL is so perfect. Whatever type of non profit you are, be it large or small, however you might be staffed, be it by a low tech volunteer or a FT development director, LGL offers features and functionality at all levels that will help you grow and thrive

Cons

LGL offers so much more than any comparable program that I am just grateful to have you around! Cannot think of anything that I dislike about a company that is offering such a fantastic service to the non profit community.

Dave C.

Little Green Light Shines Brightly for Constituent Relationship Management

Reviewed on 2019/08/03

LGL facilitates the business-critical task of entering, tracking, and acknowledging gifts. It aids in segmenting donor groups and making 'touches' throughout the year as appropriate to each group. Customer support is outstanding, with quick response and helpful suggestions to achieve desired function or process.

Pros

Web-based product eliminates software maintenance issues. Great functionality, including integration with e-mail and physical letter production. Facilitates team management of data for multi-location or traveling workers. Most functions very intuitive. Customer-focused support staff very quick to respond to inquiries. Powerful query & data selection, great control for construction of reports and letters. Attaching documents & comments to record is easy. Tribute function facilitates handling of one-time gifts in memory of deceased constituent.

Cons

We have 20+ letter templates in LGL that we print onto an MS Word letterhead template that changes at least annually due to Board composition. We haven't yet determined how to have all the LGL templates point to a single Word template. For each change, we have to re-associate the new Word template with each LGL template.

David U.

Reviewed on 2012/02/09

The Vermont Italian Club is primarily a membership organization whose purpose and mission is education of Italians and non-Italians in the Italian culture and heritage. We do this by encouraging participation and study of the Italian language, arts, and culture through lectures, presentations, films, study groups, formal classes, celebrations, and other educational events and activities.

We are a small group with about 200 memberships and 475 entries in our database. When the group was smaller and before we invigorated the organization in 2009-2010 with new leadership, all membership information lived on spreadsheets. We knew that we needed a system that could grow with us and deliver the kind of information and reporting we needed. We evaluated other systems, but they were either far too expansive and/or too expensive for our meager budget.

With no offices or paid staff, a fundamental requirement for our donor/member management system is that it be browser-based and accessible to our volunteers from their PCs in any location. In addition, the system had to be easy to use, reliable and include features that we would utilize as we grew, developed an online presence and added people to our database.

Little Green Light seemed just right for us both in capabilities and price. Although it was fairly new at the time, we decided to adopt it because we believed LGL would grow as we did and it more than met our needs at the time.

The conversion process from spreadsheets to LGL was far easier than anticipated when we adopted LGL in 2010. Staff was very accommodating and helped us through the transition smoothly. We were up and running within a few days. The ability to administer the various functions, categories, tags for member/constituent data is very flexible and easy to grasp. LGL has continually enhanced the system with new features.

We have never looked back and remain enthusiastic that we made the correct choice. LGL continues to evolve and they listen to their customers for new feature development. In recent months they have launched tight integrations with WuFoo (online forms), MailChimp (email management), and PayPal (payment processing). All are useful services that offer a small non-profit like VIC easy and affordable integration with robust third party offerings. Those we have implemented work smoothly to reduce data entry and the inevitable mistakes of manual processing.

LGL service has been outstanding, better than I have encountered from any systems vendor, to small and intermediate sized users. Their online knowledge base and responsive voice and email support is well beyond my expectations.

Perfect for Small Orgs

Reviewed on 2020/03/02

Great experience. We moved from tracking gifts on a Google Sheet, where you couldn't easily see a donor's big picture commitment to the organization.

Pros

I self-taught myself LGL, and to me that says a lot about the software. It's really easy to use, and the integration to Constant Contact is a big help to us. I also love the bulk edit option, because as I learned more about the software, I decided to change how I coded some gifts. The bulk edit option made it really easy to change those gifts.

Cons

I wish that there was a field for gift fees, versus inferring the fee from the difference between the gift amount and the deposited amount. I also would like a fee for deposit amount, because sometimes I make multiple deposits on the same day. But ultimately, these would be "nice to haves".

Haggit S.

The most flexible and easy to use software

Reviewed on 2020/06/04

Who could believe it - a database system that you actually LOVE. Thank you LGL team! really.

Pros

You just so much for your money! I love that I can adjust the system to our needs myself. I love that I can reach a page from so many places. It is very user friendly and easy to learn platform. I never looked back after transforming to LGL, reaching my database became easy and even fun!
I love that I can record every conversation or letter that I send my donors. I am using the Forms, which transform all the information automatically.

Cons

The only con I experienced is that they don't have in-person customer service. But do have a very detailed help center that is easy to navigate.

Mary F.

It just makes sense

Reviewed on 2020/02/03

LGL has helped immensely to organize our donors and over 150 volunteers. Acknowledgements and tracking have improved our donor retention.

Pros

Clean, intuitive, and great tech support for when it gets tricky.

Cons

Hard to make attractively designed emails, you can’t attach PDFs to emails, and form mapping isn’t automated.

Daniela S.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

LGL is the perfect fit for our organization

Reviewed on 2021/01/11

Pros

ease of use
report running
tiers of access

Cons

not necessarily a negative but we did choose to hire a consulate to help with the transition to LGL. She also provided training and answered questions. An additional expense we didn't budget initially.

Sandra R.

Little Green Light is Great

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Using Little Green Light has been a very positive experience. The company was very patient and helpful when we first set up our account - and has been consistently helpful in the years we have been using it.

Pros

I like that we can manage and track donors, as well as students and parents. I also like that it comes with a forms program - and that we can create forms that map to our constituents. The tech support responses are extremely fast and helpful.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about Little Green Light.

Maureen M.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Love Little Green Light

Reviewed on 2017/07/07

I've brought LGL to two independent schools in my capacity as an Advancement Director and it's made a world of difference in both places. Customer service is fantastic -- I've received quick feedback even on holidays. The team has also added new options at our request when needed (e.g. adding an employment title field for spouses). Can't say enough good things about it.

Pros

Easy to use and to quickly find the data you need, responsive customer service, always improving as customer needs change and grow.

Cons

There are no "cons" that I can think of. My experience at two schools with LGL has always been positive, which isn't something I can say about other donor databases I used.

Avonte J.

I highly recommend Little Green Light as a simple data management solution. Very pleased.

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

Pros

Because of our organizational structure, ease of use is critical. We rely heavily on our dedicated volunteers to assist with administrative tasks. With Little Green Light, our volunteers are able to complete their donor management tasks simply and accurately with little oversight. We are also very satisfied with the donor acknowledgement features. We can produce professional looking acknowledgements simply and in a timely manner. The process of creating year end acknowledgments is the best of any software program I have used. We also use the report generation and data extraction features. It is simple and straightforward. We went from Excel spreadsheets to Little Green Light and couldn't be more pleased. We highly recommend Little Green Light.

Cons

It would be great if there was a mobile app for those times when I'm on the go and need data. Other than that, no complaints.

Beth R.

Little Green Light is a Little Engine That Can!

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

We are engaging our entire staff in tracking 360-degree relationships with our community members--who are Living Room Conversations participants, hosts, organizers, promoters, funders, and donors!

Pros

Superbly easy and intuitive to use, quickly and easily customizable, good interfaces with other platforms, and superb customer service--for a very reasonable price. The pricing policy is also very reasonable.

Cons

It may be less interfacing with other platforms, but we have not begun to exhaust the possibilities in this area.

Didy W.

Smooth and very easy to learn

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

So many great features that all integrate together. All forms we use are through LGL software, including RSVP to events. And everything goes directly into the database.

Cons

I really can't think of something. I didn't like that PayPal didn't work within the forms, but now they do. I'd you tell them of a problem, they try to fix it! But if I need to say something, I don't like that when you import names with addresses and merge them with existing constituents, the addresses become duplicates, even if they're the same.

LGL is invaluable to our small organization. As the sole staff person, it keeps me on track.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Better organization. Nothing falling through the cracks. Better ability to track fundraising progress over time and contact with constituents.

Pros

It is very user-friendly, and the support is excellent. I was able to transfer all our Excel spreadsheet records into LGL by myself, and I was up and running. I haven't had any significant problems and always feel like I can find the information I need.

Cons

Sometimes there are some glitches in the spacing of MS Word templates, which is frustrating and apparently unfixable, but that is it.

Peter W.

Little Green Light is great. The product is top notch and the service doesn't stop there.

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

Haven't figured out how to tailor the acknowledgement process for contributors who annually commit to make monthly contributions, but that's a fairly arcane need. It's a great product and perhaps more widely applicable than they realize.

Pros

LGL is as flexible and intuitive as you would want for a constituency management system. It's well designed and well supported by a team that believes in the product and in the work of its clients. It is flexible enough to be adapted to multiple types of constituencies and needs, like fund-raising for non-profit groups, contact management for communication, and volunteer groups with Community projects. There's a work-flow management aspect to the design so you can assign tasks and track those, remind people of commitments, and assess the return on that work.

Amory R.

Go for the Green: Little Green Light!

Reviewed on 2011/11/30

Little Green Light (LGL) is a powerful and extremely effective organizational tool. By offering an intuitive and user-friendly format for data management and board/staff/volunteer connectivity, LGL preserves that most precious of all resources (especially for those of us in the independent sector): time. Thanks to the LGL platform, In the Arena (ITA) is a better organized and more productive outfit, with increased time to spend on the all-important programming and outreach. Plus, the Bicknell brothers are a pleasure to work with!

Pros

Little Green Light (LGL) has too many virtues to extoll in this small a space. In truth, the best way to see what it has to offer is to jump on the site for a demo, or better yet, to get in touch with one of the two founders of this family-run business: Nick or Chris Bicknell. Given that the two brothers have brought this great product to market in tandem and that they're equally committed to building it out in a user-friendly and customer-interactive manner, it's hard to imagine a better fit for an organization looking for comprehensive donor management tools, database management and project-building. LGL is constantly evolving, adding new features on a regular basis, while it maintains its eminently user-friendly interface. In our experience here at ITA, LGL has offered us a one-stop shopping experience for all of our donor, database, communications and project management.

Cons

No cons; I'm an unabashed fan.

Jeff H.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great Product with service to back it up

Reviewed on 2019/08/04

Pros

Found the company to be great to work with even when requesting information on anything from basic to complex matters

Cons

The UI is probably the worst thing about it. It has a very out-dated look compared to a lot of newer website applications. However I believe this goes hand in hand with a product that has been in use for years with a good track record of stability and features

Jessica M.

Reviewed on 2017/06/06

A lot of the challenges we have with using this software comes mostly from implementation snafus; lots of trial and error. My advice to avoid this is to set aside a month or two for one staffer (or a team if you're blessed with one of those) to focus exclusively on how the software will be implemented, who needs to use what tools when, and to set up formal procedures before it goes into active use.

Pros

-easy to learn
-love love love the form creation tools
-streamlined integration with other platforms, after some work (MailChimp is the one we use most often)
-flexible categorization of constituents
-a very responsive support team

Cons

-not as customizable as I would like
-heavy reliance on integration with other platforms
-have had some issues with integration syncing

Will K.

Simple And Effective Software For Our Small-Midsize NonProfit

Reviewed on 2021/01/05

Overall experience is extremely positive. It has helped our organization go from having no donor base, to having an effective an actionable donor management system. It is the perfect system to learn with!

Pros

This software helped get us started with basic donor management. It allowed us to ease our way into systematizing our donor base and now, making our stewardship activities systematized.

Cons

I have not found anything yet that I really do not like about this software. It meets all of our current organizational needs.