Bloomfire Reviews

Bloomfire

Knowledge sharing & insights platform

4.3/5 (159 reviews)

The way a knowledge base should be

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

As one of Bloomfire's early customers we saw a lot of potential with this platform. I was in charge of conducting a report comparing some of the available products to satisfy our need for a customer-facing knowledge base. It had to be relevant, easy to use, and fast. We had a lot of undocumented information that our customers needed with no way to provide it. Some of our most important criteria included having an API and SSO (we were going to have our users log in from our customer portal site), an easy editor, fast and powerful search, user management, reporting, and so on. Bloomfire came out on top. Fast forward a few months into using it and we were well on our way generating content, marketing the tool, and getting comfortable with the platform. I was probably the main contributor to a lot of the content, so the almost daily use of the tool caused me to find areas of improvement. I worked a bit with the Bloomfire development team with a list and I'm happy to say that today, nearly every one of my suggestions have been implemented in some way. This demonstrates the company's willingness and capabilities to adapt to their customer's needs. Their team has always been helpful and communicative and would love to see continual improvements in the future.

Pros

Clean, easy to user interface. Enough features to still be powerful and handle lots of information, posts, questions, and media.

Cons

At some point the cost model drastically changed from unlimited to number of users and for our company, the cost was prohibitive from expanding or growing. For other platforms that are not just a standalone knowledge base, but instead include one as a part of their services there is much more value for similar features.

Response from Bloomfire

Hi Paul, Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review to your experience with Bloomfire. We are glad that you have enjoyed your overall experience with Bloomfire and would love to help your company continue your success with knowledge sharing and job efficiency. We take all feedback very seriously here at Bloomfire and take all things into consideration. Again, thank you for your feedback and hopefully we will talk with you soon!

A work in progress

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

I need to preface this: I do not use bloomfire often. My co-workers use it far more, I simply provide support when they have an issue. The cause for the title of this review is this: for what little I use of it I see the company makes an effort to add features that the community asks for and while there are things about bloomfire I am not fond of I recognize that they will work that out in time. Also I do not see the cost breakdown for how much our license costs the company so I am not really qualified to give credit to "Value for Money".

Finding information through bloomfire is quick and efficient. The posting features are simultaneously robust and incomplete. You can make series of posts to group together work on broad swaths of content on a topic, you can add and remove contributors to give accurate credit. Users can ask and answer questions in a moderated environment. All wonderful.

You cannot bulk change contributors (When a member of your staff leaves the company you have to manually edit each of their posts to move the content to new users before deleting the account so information is not lost and even then any answers they have posted will be lost once the account is removed).

When crafting a post all text and formatting will shift significantly when publishing ( goes from single line spacing to double or more line spacing, also all of the margins get a 1 to 2 inch shift depending on the size of your monitor, and formatting options are limited). Copy/pasting content from Word or gDocs generally requires a fair amount of re-formatting the content as the editor will either not retain any formatting or will interpret it in a odd way.

Pros

The platforms capacity for moderated knowledge sharing. Search tools work well and there are a number of different ways users can upload content

Cons

Lack of functionality in text formatting tools. Lack of ability to bulk modify posts (recategorize, add/remove users, etc).

Response from Bloomfire

Chris, glad to hear finding information through Bloomfire is quick and efficient. We are releasing an update to our post editor that should resolve your formatting issues. We are also releasing a feature that will allow you to bulk change contributors. We are always looking at ways to enhance Bloomfire and appreciate your feedback!

Good General Product

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

It is a nice platform. Sometimes it is hard to follow. Update changes are a little too extreme sometimes where it is hard to catch back up to the content you are seeking, especially for those who only enter it periodically. Keep the updates to a minimum, and don't change just for the sake of change to refresh. Keep the controls simple and in the same place. Eliminate the need for a new learning curve every time something changes.

The product is good, and the information is still there, but the searching and viewing gets more and more difficult with too frequent of changes you don't quickly recognize... and I am in it everyday! Maybe offer a classic view, along with your updated views when you feel the need, like Salesforce did. Change for the sake of change is not a positive thing for every day users. The updates are too frequent and clumsy.

Pros

The search tool, and how it brings up all related material to peruse.

Cons

Constant little adjustments in the editing and viewing field confuses daily operations. It loses it intuitiveness and speed and ease of use.

Overall a Good Product

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

Like most software, there is room for improvement but this definitely gets the job done and features a sleek, clean look that all can easily enjoy and navigate.

Pros

Easy to navigate and clean look

Cons

The search ability and lacking ability to post to different communities from one spot - having to repost the same content across several communities with different categories and tags is cumbersome. I'd like to post from one place with different selections for each community rather than 3 different posts.

Response from Bloomfire

Hey Melissa, Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Bloomfire.. In regards to your feedback, inside our ¿Beta¿ post editor, you can post across different communities and add community specific categories. We¿d love to show you through this process to help alleviate some of the post difficulties that you are coming across. Please contact us at [email protected] and we¿d be happy to setup some time to speak with you!

We love Bloomfire from a development perspective.

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

We support our entire sales staff using Bloomfire with up to date product materials, case studies and great colaboration with our people in the field. We use bloomfire's api to dole out our manuals, technical data, images and more to our iOS and Adroid apps as well as all of our web sites. We put a document in one place (Bloomfire) and then serve it out to all others making BF our system of record!

Pros

Its ease of use for posting and sharing content. Its searchablility of content and the clean way it delivers the results.

Cons

The cost. It is very hard to justify to upper management that does not see the value based on the same values the dev team does. We constantly have to push back against management who wants to move towards a cheaper knowledge base system.

Great Platform, Increases Engagement and Excellent Support

Reviewed on 2/1/2017

We use Bloomfire as an integrated component of another system. We have seen a great level of engagement and use. Integration went smoothly, including single sign on. We're using a host of groups, some of them private and it's worked out really well. Bloomfire has even fast tracked some of our more important feature requests. There are still a few kinks to be worked out with the UX and users get confused in certain cases but overall it is simple to use and one of the best platforms we've seen when exploring the landscape of available products. Would recommend.

Pros

Very simple and easy to use, low learning curve. Support is great and very responsive. Platform integrates easily with other platforms for whitelabling purposes.

Cons

User interface can be improved in certain cases. Users are often confused as to what groups they are posting to.

Double thumbs up!

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

My company uses this software across all of our key clients and we have seen excellent results. Being in a virtual environment, we strive to provide a great sense of community to the businesses that need help in understanding policies or procedures or those that need extra guidance on specific topics. We are able to create this environment using Bloomfire, thanks to the great features & functionality. We upload videos, have different series that can be quickly accessed by looking for certain tag lines and are able to use the space to recognize individuals who are excelling in their client project! We love this product and our clients do too.

Pros

The functionality and how easy it is to use on a daily basis. We are able to customize the product to fit each client's need so it can be as robust or minimalist as we need to fit their needs.

Cons

When in the administrator mode, we sometimes have trouble when doing multiple uploads and/or edits of contents. Site may freeze and causes re-work.

Good knowledge base tool

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

We found implementation very straightforward. We converted a trial account into a live account after about a month of experimentation. After publishing some internal standards for publishing we then started uploading documents from directory drives which made them searchable and much easier for our non-technical staff to locate.

Pros

Ease of use for end users searching for documents and for "Authors" to upload their documents.

Cons

A bit of version control on the published documents would be nice.

Response from Bloomfire

David, great to hear you found the implementation easy and straightforward. We recently released a versioning feature, feel free to connect with us at [email protected] and we'd love to show you.

7.0/10

Bloomfire in the contact center

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

We use Bloomfire as an internal knowledge base for our customer support team. It's extremely effective in documenting best practices and updates. The social components make it easy for our team to create their own content and have it reviewed by leadership before publishing. It also makes it easy for to share and track readership over time. The comments capabilities allow us to track issues and opportunities over time, as well. We use the analytics as part of our monthly performance evaluation to ensure our team is participating and collaborating in an effort to stay abreast of whatever is changing week over week. As we've scaled up, Bloomfire has helped us maintain the feel of a start-up in how we publish and disseminate updates as a department.

Pros

Social components. Ease of publishing and editing.

Cons

Would love better internal SEO analytics.

Simple yet powerful tool to organise knowledge and policies

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

Hello, I am a team leader for a support function and added myself so far 66 articles to Bloomfire. What I like about the tool is that we can quickly lookup articles, also I can use tags and categorise to make search more efficient and adequate. What I also like is that I can combine articles in series and can easily add comments and flag articles that require reviewing. Also another positive thing is that when composing an article it is saved as a draft, just like with google docs etc. so you do not have to worry your work will be lost. Another positive thing is that it very easy to embed pages, links, pictures and multimedia. I can quickly compose articles that look nice and are useful. The downside is there aren't many editing options. You can't select font or particular font size. Also when you have tables it's difficult to add them directly into the content, instead you would have to create an excel file and embed it especially when your tables are large or long. Also what I don't like is the enter button creates a new paragraph rather than breaking line, when I want to insert a line break I need to edit the HTML of the content (at least there is HTML editor which sometimes is faster for me to use as I can quicker configure tags and manage the content). Perhaps Bloomfire wanted to limit the way articles are edited to make them look cohesive, still, i'd prefer to have more editing options but overall it's a good tool to efficiently share knowledge and other information in your company.

Pros

- ease of use
- tags and categories
- comments
- possibility to save as drafts
- Salesforce integration

Cons

- limited editing options

The best software I've ever used for my position.

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

I know I don't use Bloomfire anywhere near to its full potential, but it is still the best software tool I have found to help me in helping me manage corporate, product, and technical information for my company. I am a proposal director and use Bloomfire as a database to store all of our RFP questions and responses - along with important attachments and informational documents. The search features make it easy for me to find the exact information I need when pursuing a new client opportunity. It also allows my company's subject matter experts to review and update the posts as the product evolves.

Pros

The search feature - that may seem simple but it helps me find exactly what I need and saves a lot of time when I am working on a tight deadline. I also like that I can invite other authors to review and edit the questions - definitely streamlines business processes.

Cons

There isn't anything I dislike per say; I would like to be able to download selected posts into a spreadsheet, however.

Excellent knowledge management tool

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

Bloomfire is already shaping up to be an excellent tool for our KMS. We love the built-in screen recorder/webcam record feature. As the admin, setting the system up is super simple - could do almost everything by myself. We love the SSO option, the simplicity of the functionality, and amazing search function.

Personally, the sales process with Bloomfire was very comfortable - I never felt rushed or pressured, and Michael was fast to respond and thoroughly answered all of my questions.

The Bloomfire Community is a great resource - I've been using it as a go-to for quick setup help and best practices advice. It's invaluable!

Overall, I feel like Bloomfire is an excellent choice for a streamlined, purpose-driven tool to help organizations pool their employees' knowledge and expertise.

Pros

I love how simple it is - it's not a be-all, end-all software. It's a KMS, and it's a very very good one.

Cons

So far, the only thing I haven't found easy is bulk uploading for documents, but it sounds like something they're working on. That seems to be the standard: any feature or functionality that users wish they could apply, Bloomfire has considered or is working on it.

Serves our needs

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

We have been using bloomfire for a few years now and find it a great tool to have moderated communication within our client network. Customer support is always eager to help us out and after a few sessions we end up dialing in anything we needed done. There is a lot of power behind this platform and I would recommend seeing if it fits your business style.

Pros

It allows our clients to collaborate with one another as well as our staff.

Cons

The technology feels a little lacking in how it was executed but not enough so to not want to use the service.

Response from Bloomfire

Josh, we appreciate your business over the years. We enjoy working with everyone over at SMS Masterminds and appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

Beautiful Bloomfire

Reviewed on 2/1/2017

Our organization has been using Bloomfire for 2 years now -- for 2 in Sales and 1 for a community of learning professionals. We've seen such a great impact that we hope to expand it to another 800 users in the service community.
Bloomfire has enabled us to consolidate information into a user-friendly, mobile accessible platform for users to not only get information faster, but to connect with a larger community of peers and to SME's as well.
And being a service organization as well, I can't say enough great things about Bloomfire's desire and execution from a service perspective. They listen and are ALWAYS willing and ready to assist. They are tremendous!

Pros

Great search function, mobile app

Cons

It's not necessarily the software but for us trying to figure out how to best organize our extensive content

Bloomfire saves my life everyday. It is such a good platform to share knowledge and connect people!

Reviewed on 5/10/2018

This software makes it so easy to find content and more importantly, to direct clients to the content they need. It is also nice to have all collateral exist in one location. I feel like this platform is allowing us to break down the information silos that exist in our company. I highly recommend this product.

Pros

The search feature is really powerful, and continues to get smarter with use. I also really like the categorization feature, it makes finding what you are looking for very easy.

Cons

There is no foreseeable way to download content onto an iPad Pro. Several of our clients are now using the iPad Pro and are struggling to use Bloomfire on their devices.

Bloomfire

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

While there's a lot I could speak to in terms of the product itself, specifically, I recently had an amazing customer support interaction with Bloomfire. I submitted a question/suggestion about something I was unaware was currently already an available feature in Bloomfire. I submitted my request, and within an hour, I had a phone call and voicemail from Chad, Director of Client Success, with an answer. Because I didn't pick up, he also sent me a follow-up email, which included a screencap video walking me through the process. I was pretty blown away by this level of fast and efficient customer support, which only makes me more of a supporter of the Bloomfire platform. Thank you for being a trusted source for in sharing information and resources!

Pros

It's easy to use, reliable, and Bloomfire offers great customer support in my experience.

Cons

It would be great to have the ability for more collaboration (i.e. multiple people working on edits at once on the same piece).

Good Platform for mixed media content and for organizing data

Reviewed on 2/1/2017

We use Bloomfire as our team knowledge base and onboarding tool. We like how easy it is to organize different media (text, links to online articles, uploaded files, audio files, image files, video files, etc) into distinct groups for easy retrieval.

Very easy ramp-up with the team. The interface and tool set are very straightforward.

Would receive a 5-Star review if group editing functions were better structured.

Pros

Flexible support of various media
Quick onboard of tool with team

Cons

Clunky group editing of documents

Blooming your business

Reviewed on 2/1/2017

Bloomfire is very use to use and share information across the board with everyone on your team. They offer straight forward layouts and templates for your posts which you can edit at anytime from any device. So everyone can have access to the most recent information.

Pros

User friendly and you can edit at any time

Cons

When bloomfire goes down you are completely impaired if that the only place you store information on.

Director of Playout and Delivery

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

We selected Bloomfire from the many knowledge management systems out there for ease of use, low administration overhead and web-based access. Over the 3 years, we have been using it we have moved from minimal adoption to wholesale adoption by our sales, systems architecture and customer service teams, safe in the knowledge that we made the right choice.

Pros

Ease of posting, searchability, low admin overhead.

Cons

sometimes it can be hard to remove and modify users, not a massive problem but I had to say something!

BF is easy to use but too limited in customizations

Pluses
-Easy to use and learn
-Easy to learn customization options
-Appreciate the HTML editing options

Cons
- The width of the BF doc is thinner than needed. It's very web 2012 versus today where you see wider panes. I know that it's easier to read in smaller widths but you can add the option of columns instead. Really helpful would be columns that can have images or text blocks within them.
- The change for the background to be one color. This is the common style with a lot of article based platforms (e.g. medium) but there's something off about the UI. It might be that the orientation leans to the left too much (b/c of the right side column of related content), the right side column is too large and removes focus from the main content, or that the default font is just too large (even on a mac retina pixel display, you don't get to see that much of the article display. it subtly implies more scrolling/long-ness of the article)
-You have bugs within the auto formatting detection. For example, deleting from a non-default text such as a title will change the text size to the styling of the text beforehand. Sometimes you can't get the text to return to a certain styling just from the tools bar. Instead, you have to use the html editor to correct the styling manually.
-Leaving the page (out of focus) and returning will show the cursor at the end of the page (this bug intermittently comes back).
- More formatting options like word would be preferred (specific font sizes, font colors, . For documentation purposes, formatting options allow the ease of use in highlighting or differentiating a lot of content.
- More image formatting options.
- Inserting a file takes up a bunch of space. Would prefer that adding a file is like a link or at the end like an attachment. The actual page real estate a file record takes is excessive. Also, I usually want to associate the file to some sort of text block but instead it's just floating in it's own area between two equidistant text blocks.
- Allow wiki style page of contents at the beginning of a BF page would help on complex articles.
- For the feed page, what about a table form for articles? You have tiles and a list view. I think you could optimize width by removing the filters on the side and moving them to the top or inset as part of the table's columns (when relevant) as filters.

5.0/10

Great way to socialized sales content and news

Reviewed on 12/8/2017

It allowed us to have a searchable content repository of sales collateral and training as well as an announcement board for news and market research.

Pros

The "timeline view" for latest content and news. It allows sales to have a quick refresh of the latest developments in the business.

Cons

The search engine could use some optimization and has no easy tools to build product taxonomies which limits a bit its adoption as a sales enablement tool

My daily go-to resource

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

I use Bloomfire every day. I keep training documents, desk level procedures and the forms our office uses in Bloomfire. It is a very easy software to use, and it fosters collaboration between our different teams.

Pros

Easy to load documents, pictures, videos or whatever we need to reference.

Cons

Sometimes the posts have trouble saving & we have to retrieve them and post again.

Love this software

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

We use this software daily to organize our content, as well as to communicate any new program or product additions/changes to our our franchisees.

Pros

The organization of being able to group items into series. It's so easy to maneuver and find things, based off the tag and search feature.

Cons

we are trying to franchise another company, and its in the early stages of development. Since we don't have any franchisees yet, the price is too much to invest in this software. So it would be great if smaller packages were available for companies such as this.

Bloomfire fit our needs exactly!

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

We were looking for an internal and external knowledge base and wanted to be able to write one post but control where it would be seen. Adding rich content, like videos, and pre-written documents was just what we needed. After we had a rich library of content, we were able to make use of series and direct our clients to information by simply including a link in our correspondence. Discoverability was also important so that our clients could find relevant information quickly. Transcribing videos and the ability to search within attached documents is very powerful for those needs.

Pros

indexing and organizing lots of information

Cons

navigation seems to be one size fits all. It would be nice to see an web interface for desktop browsers so that things don't have to be so blocky.

Greatest Collaboration Portal on Earth

Reviewed on 1/17/2017

As a fast growing company, a location for training, sharing of ideas, storage for videos - documentation - and etc. is crucial to providing right now access. Love Bloomfire. The ability to upload and create content is sophisticated, seamless, and can learn in 15 seconds.

Pros

Allowing access over a very large group and locations. The ease of uploading content.

Cons

Front page videos.