Help Scout

Web-based help desk designed for better customer experience

Greg H.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Completely changed our business - for the better

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

Most companies using Help Desk software are in software development, tech or online commerce of some kind. We're in the boring, traditional business of veterinary medicine practice, and deal with hundreds of emails a day from clients and the rest of the outside world.

We're the only vet company I know of that uses a help desk, and we use Help Scout - and absolutely LOVE it. We did use Zendesk previously, but found that it's way too complicated and not very personal. Pet owners don't want to be given a ticket # and feel like they're speaking to a robot. Help Scout solved that immediately when we switched.

We have a lot of complex conversations via email that require multiple people being involved, communicating internal messages to each other about certain threads, etc. etc.

Help Scout is absolutely fantastic, because it's very elegant in it's simplicity - but tremendously powerful in it's capability.

On top of that, we've found their support team to be kick ass, highly responsive and always eager to try and figure out a solution to any issue we bring them.

We are very loyal Help Scout clients, and plan to be for a long time.

Pros

- extremely simple to use and understand as a user
- treats communications like human beings and provides a much more personal feel to communication (as opposed to making people feel like numbers)
- fantastic support team that's very responsive and solution focused
- solid API that allows you to bring in data from other apps so that you have a consolidated view of a client, beyond just their email history

Cons

- wish that the interface could be a little more customized for our specific needs
- really don't have any downsides to it - it's a great product

Robert K.

IntegrationKings review of HelpScout

Reviewed on 2021/04/03

Pros

We love that it brings all the communication into one central place to help answer clients back.

Cons

We do not like how forwarding of emails work and they always drop the attachments.

• Industry: Higher Education

Great for small teams!

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

When looking for customer service platforms, a lot of people will want it to feel human. Oddly, I love that it can be used to send confidential documents securely, and I don't have to interact. It's a great timesaver that way, especially when the people on the other end are using it for the same reason. Yes, you can add more personality and humanity, but in my case, I like being able to work uninterrupted, and no one ever has to say "have a nice day" because all we're doing is sending documents. If you're looking for something a little more personal -- it can absolutely be used that way. The notes and chat functions are helpful, and Help Scout is pretty adaptable to whatever your customer service philosophy entails.

Pros

-Extremely easy to set up, add employees to, and use on a daily basis without hassle.
-Love the option to assign communications and update the status of them.
-Simple, straightforward design.
-Did I mention is was easy? Almost no training required.

Cons

-It would be nice to have more customization options. The simplicity is of appeal here, but the limitations are noticeable.

Ian S.

An excellent, lightweight, streamlined, modern helpdesk solution

Reviewed on 2015/02/04

Pros

First, Help Scout gets major brownie points for "eating their own dog food" -- they are all about the Customer Experience, and they live up to this philosophy by delivering not only a very easy to use and modern product, but answering support inquiries right away (and thoroughly), and publishing an extremely helpful and insightful industry blog. So when you buy into Help Scout, you're not just getting a great software product, but also getting a great organization running behind it.

Aside from that I love how Help Scout does itself in fact deliver a great customer experience to our customers. It gets out of the way. Customers are not aware that we use it, in fact they believe they are emailing directly with me. Transactions are fast and lightweight, there are not many bells and whistles to complicate the process and slow down the support workflow. Help Scout made the hard decision to not allow custom fields on tickets, and while this at first seemed limiting, it has in fact allowed us to handle the ticket queue much more quickly, due to much lower overhead.

For delivering quick and helpful email support, I can't imagine a much better way to bullseye the task than using Help Scout. We've been very satisfied with it.

Cons

The Docs section of the product is a little bit underdeveloped, but adequate. It would be nice in that area to have more cohesion the way you'd typically find in a generic content management system (e.g. Wordpress). For instance, currently it isn't possible to move an article from one collection to another -- you have to copy its contents, re-build it on the other side, and delete the original.

That is my main complaint. In spite of that we have a full internal and external knowledge base hosted with the Docs feature, and it is adequate for our needs, if not exceptional.

Very nice online customer support service

Reviewed on 2019/01/27

I started my career as a support engineer, I used several ticket systems (simple support, kayako, zendesk, some others) and quite familiar with them. When I started to use help scout, I was quite impressed with it. It's very simple, yet it gives the support engineer all the things you need (add comments, canned replies, re-assigning, automatic actions, etc). Also it's very affordable and easy to start using. In fact, when one of my friends asked me for a simple support system, I did recommend him Help Scout. It definitely is better to pay them a small buck, rather than spending your time and effort on purchasing some big system, installing it on your own servers and customising it.
There are some minor things that I'd be happy if help scout improve upon, but otherwise I'm very happy with them.

Pros

* You can setup online ticket support system for your clients very easy and cheaply
* Your support engineers will have everything they need to support your clients effectively
* No bloated unnecessary features, only those that you need

Cons

* Online mobile version leaves much to be desired
* No way to merge several tickets at once
* You can't make a note/reply and keep the ticket open, you have to re-open it.

Jeff B.

Organization and focus on delivering excellent customer service

Reviewed on 2016/02/07

Pros

They are super responsive. They are pretty rad and transparent: if something goes wrong on their end they are not afraid of admitting fault. Which leads me to trusting them because I can believe them. I know that tells you very little of the product, but as leadership that's something that I really need. Other environments—blameshifting—I cannot stand and can't trust, believe, or hope that they'll hold true to their promise. We're leaving another vendor for that reason.

Their system is very responsive, quick, simple, and easy to learn. There aren't too many bells and whistles which simplifies my life when onboarding new teammates. Their docs are well written and engaging.

Cons

The vendor is great!

I'd say a better or more thorough live chat & phone integration would be great. We communicate with customers via email, phone, live chat, and Twitter. It's hard when all these are fairly decentralized. Help Scout *does* have a live chat integration (which we use) and we can forward VMs to Help Scout (which is great). But if you're looking for tracking call length, live chat length, or some of the other nifty metrics in one central place, you'll need to use Excel or a Google Sheet. Or use everyone's API to feed into your own system.

Maurice a M.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Dead Simple to use Help Desk

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Our company uses HelpScout as its internal Help Desk for all of our associate's requests/needs such as equipment request, payroll inquiries, BYOD access, and so.

We found HelpScout incredibly useful; it has increased our response time and productivity, and we are starting to build our internal Knowledge Base. Moreover, most importantly, the price is affordable and goes along well our needs.

Pros

Initial setup is straightforward. We currently only use the ticketing/email feature in HelpScout, so setup and email configuration were complete in less than 10 minutes.

The interface is clean, direct, and getting used to the layout is quick.

We have synced our main Mailbox queue to a private channel in Slack, so each time there's a new ticket is sent there, which is beneficial to keep track of incoming tickets.

Working with HelpScout is simple and straightforward. Currently, we only use the ticketing feature, and it's been a gratifying experience. All the essentials like adding internal notes, tags, tagging other agents, and replying to customers are there.

My favourite feature is the search function, which helps you find that four-week-old ticket you closed a while ago easily just by searching a few keywords that were included in it.

Cons

So far, the only complaint we had was the "next" feature, once you reply to a ticket, the next open ticket assigned to you would pop up immediately, and if you're not careful, you might respond the wrong thing to the customer!

April G.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Excellent customer service software

Reviewed on 2019/04/14

I've used this for customer service for a website development company and a professional women's organization and it's been amazing in both cases! Highly recommended.

Pros

Best features are internal notes and custom tags, traffic cop that stops the sending of your message of they've responded since you started writing, undo send, and able to see if surgery team member is working on that email already.

Also integrates mailchimp so you can see who is on your mailing list, and subscribe them if not.

Automated workflows based on custom parameters are incredibly useful, too!

Cons

Could have a more robust Zapier integration.

Lucas K.

Easy to use, flexible, and great support

Reviewed on 2017/02/01

We've been using Help Scout for ticket management for about three years. Prior to Help Scout we had used several others, most notably Zendesk. We found that Help Scout was the easiest for our team to use, while still providing a good set of features for customization. The support team at Help Scout has been fantastic as well; they've been very receptive to feature suggestions, quick to resolve what few issues we've encountered, and every contact with them has been a great experience. That last part is important; I personally deal with the support teams of a dozen or so vendors on a regular basis and sometimes the lack of attention to detail and reading comprehension in level 1 support is astounding. Very refreshing!

Pros

Easy to use.

Cons

No android app, but the web app is still quite functional on a small screen.

Easy to use, great support

Reviewed on 2020/04/15

We've used a number of ticket systems and found Helpscout best meets our needs. The integration options are easy to set up and increases the value we get from the software. The support is quick and always helpful.

Pros

Its ease of use, great search with keywords in the help guide area of clients. The ticketing system is great and integrates with Infusinsoft and Trello so we can transfer information between teams. The reporting is also useful for creating guides based on real search terms.

Cons

A recycle bin for deleted guides would be useful and more control over the look and feel or the canned replies.

Tessa A.

Awesome Bonus--Help Scout's Email Newsletter!

Reviewed on 2017/04/19

Help Scout is easy to use, has some great metrics, makes organization a breeze, and allows companies to standardize email responses. But in all honesty, my favorite thing about Help Scout is the weekly newsletter they send out via email. It may be more or less often than weekly, I'm not entirely sure; however, I just love it! I almost always read the entire thing. It focuses on one topic, it's always helpful, and it's often strangely timely so far as what's going on in my professional and/or personal life. I've found it really useful. Indeed, two Christmases ago, my list included multiple items I learned about one of Help Scout's newsletters!

Pros

The email newsletter.

Cons

How sometimes emails end up being responded to by multiple agents because they aren't automatically closed out.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Great way to organize customer interactions

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Pros

This was the first customer service software we used as a team and it is really solid for being able to connect with customers through multiple points of contacts.

Cons

I really wish we could connect the entire customer journey within helpscout, it would allow our team to be more informed when dealing with customers.

Nina V.

Help Scout saves time and money!

Reviewed on 2015/02/22

Pros

Help Scout makes lost messages a thing of the past. We frequently forgot to mark messages unread when they were not dealt with and lost track of customer issues because of it. We love the assigned messages option and being able to maintain multiple users at one email address.

Cons

Would love to see a mobile app - I could definitely be much more productive if I didn't have to always have a computer to help customers or 'close' junk emails.

Help Scout Is Awesome!!!!!

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

Help Scout has been a dream! I've always wanted to use it and now I'm at a job where they were already using it when I came on board. It was super easy to get set up and do my daily work!

Pros

Help Scout is incredibly easy to use. If it's ever confusing or difficult, their support team is amazing and gets back to you quickly with a complete answer.

Cons

It's sometimes slow to load. I think they have issues from time to time and the interface feels clunky but when it's running smooth it is super quick fast!

Jedd C.

A Customer Service Team's Best Friend

Reviewed on 2015/12/19

PROS:
- Simple and effective customer service tool for multiple users managing one email address/inbox
- The "notes" system allows for team members to provide feedback and support to another team member responding to a client's needs without the client seeing this conversation.
- Great open integration with other project management tools and applications
- Simple, clean design. No distracting interface.

CONS:
- No real-time chat feature with other team members (notes works well but it would be great to chat with another team member, and capture this conversation without using a separate messaging client like SLACK).
- Not a CRM. You can connect to a CRM but the information that can be captured, shown, and note taking ability about each client is very, very limited.
- No dedicated mobile app support for smartphones or tablets.

Help Scout is a simple and effective tool for a team to manage one email address/inbox. With the ability to collaborate and have conversations with other team members about emails without the client knowing is it's best feature. Not to mention but their team and service is outstanding (as you would expect) and they are constantly looking for ways to improve. Whether you are a small organization or large business, if you providing customer service or assistance and have multiple team members, you should be using Help Scout.

Jake F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Easy customer support mailbox management

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Pros

Very easy for a team of 3-4 to manage incoming support tickets. Reporting is equally easy and makes it manageable to track progress over time.

Cons

The "knowledgebase" sites you can build with Help Scout simply aren't up to par with competitors. If you care more about your knowledgebase articles than your support inbox, I'd go with a different solution.

Todd W.

Solid software but nothing special

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

Solves the problem of staying organised. With a bit more budget, it might be worth checking out other options.

Pros

It is a convenient way to organise support tasks although there really aren't any special features with it. You can attach documents and create new notes but nothing much else.

Cons

When you reply to a note, the default option is to close the note. This is silly. If I reply to a note, I want that response to be sent to a relevant person. This has caught me out once or twice.

Scott M.

HelpScout - best support tool for email

Reviewed on 2016/02/08

Pros

From the apps I've tested, Helpscout has the best and simples UX. Easy to set up and use out of the box. It's just, well, simple.

Cons

Love the team at Helpscout. Only thing I was missing was tighter integration/native IM/phone support tools.

Ourania L.

Great, simple CS tool

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

Very positive, it's what we were looking for. It has all the core features a support team needs but without countless extras that end up being noise.

Pros

In contrast to other CS tools, HelpScout is still fairly simple in its offerings and that's a good thing when you're a small company that doesn't need 326 different features. It's simple, easy to use and affordable.

Cons

I would like the design of the page support agents see when they handle tickets to feel a bit more modern, or offer a few customisations.

Tim K.

Exactly What We Needed + Integrations = Perfect

Reviewed on 2018/06/19

ditto pro's

Pros

Helpscout is incredibly simple with exactly what you need. This customer support software solves more problems than a cold one on a Friday afternoon.

Saved responses, tagging, automated workflows, docs (so useful I can't stress enough), reporting (we never use), great integrations and a customer support chatbot 2.0 (coming).

Cons

The customer support chatbot is a little useless currently - but they're 2.0 in production is exactly the fix we need.

Yochonon G.

Nice clean interface

Reviewed on 2019/11/11

Overall it has been an OK experience with helpscout
The search feature is simple and easy to use

Pros

A very Nice clean board that is very functional
Have used it for multiple aspects of the business and it does a solid job of it all

Cons

Moving away from this as it is not as robust as some of the other boards out there.
Conversation flows sometimes don't make sense

Kirsten T.

Help Scout is efficient, easy to use, and dare I even say...fun!?!

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

I'm a huge fan of Help Scout. Everything works fluidly as it is supposed to, of course! Reassigning is a breeze, replying is a breeze, and definitely not getting those ridiculous forward of forwards mentioned by another reviewer is priceless. I have never had any glitches and I feel like Help Scout goes out of its way to NOT waste my time. Yay!

Lindsay S.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 2016/09/27

Zakir D.

Excellent Support Software

Reviewed on 2016/01/22

I have been using Helpscout for over 2 years and their software is simple yet very functional to use. There support is very good too. I highly recommend their solutions.

Gary vaynerchuk

"It's the kind of product that is taking our business to a different level"

Reviewed on 2012/05/11

Tools like Help Scout enable us to execute the kind of one-on-one service we're looking for. It's the kind of product that is taking our business to a different level.