Daniel T.

A complete vision of the projects

Reviewed on 2016/11/21

I was used SpiraTeam in some projects. Our work with the application was right, but our experience with it, is like a fixed application with a strongest modulation of the project process. The UI, is not very friendly with a complex form to work on it.
Is true, that you can add any document, requirement, task or other in each moment, but you cannot change the flow of the project. In action it is maddening because you has not clarity of the steps to do with the different parts of the project.
But, if you have a big project with many people that need to interact (for example, you need to follow the status of the tasks and the test cases by developer) it is your project application.

Pros

The application can modify to adapt the workflow to your needs (based on a complex workflow). The document management is very good. You can change a part of UI (colors, logos, etc.). You can do a personal dashboard with your heat points. This could help you to focus your most important points.

Cons

In my personal opinion, the application needs a guidance or a screen that can show the flow process to make more easy the entry of the project elements.

Response from Inflectra

Thanks for the feedback. We are adding a new user onboarding wizard into SpiraTeam to guide a new user through the project management process that is enabled in SpiraTeam.

We're not sure which version Daniel used, but v5.0 has a completely overhauled user interface which our users are loving.

Martin K.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Facilitates the daily work

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

SpiraTeam is used to manage the test cases of five different development languages and more than fifteen different base products. The overview of all products is elementary and is very well solved in SpiraTeam.
The selection of connectable test software is very good.

Pros

SpiraTeam is clear and intuitive to use.
The cockpits are a good starting point for daily work.

Cons

The structure of the requirements is not transferred from DevOps and after grouping the original types are lost.

Response from Inflectra

We are looking to add a way to keep the requirement types from ADO once the requirements are nested and grouped in the SpiraTeam hierarchy.

Sudha G.

Spira Feedback

Reviewed on 2014/10/17

Spira is a very good QA tool. It is very easy to use and very nice documents to follow. Very affordable price. Very good customer service. I am very happy using this tool and pleased with the customer service quick responses. However, here are some of the improvements and enhancement suggestions.

1. Is this compatible to use in all the browsers. Currently, if I am using chrome, when I try to edit the test case there is no way of saving. Save button is disabled. Update button is not displaying on the edited step.

Today I started using IE to see if it will work better. Any ideas on that which browser it works well or is it properly tested to use in all browsers?

2. If working on a test script or projects using Spira, user accidently deletes the test case, is there a way that we can restore the data? Any history to bring back the deleted test case? If this is not there now, I request to add as a future enhancement to benefit.

3. Why do we need in Test cases also Execute button and in Test Sets also Execute button? It is very confusing. Usually it should be in Test Sets.

4. Axosoft and Spira test documents can be clearer to understand from a QA tester perspective.

5. I am still learning and trying to experiment the full features.

Thanks.

Response from Inflectra

Hi Sudha

Thanks for the positive feedback. I think you have some questions as well as the review. For questions 1-5 I would submit a help desk ticket to us (if you have not already).

In answer to the questions for anyone reading:
1) Spira works with all versions of Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera as well as IE8 or later.
2) If you delete a test case, simply go to Administration > Project History Changes and you can revert the delete.
3) You can execute a test case or a test set because sometimes smaller teams don't want to use the test set functionality and just assign test cases directly. For larger teams, test sets are optimal.
4) Thanks for the feedback, the integration with AxoSoft OnTime is an integration feature and is definitely more technical than the rest of the system.

Doug

SpiraTeam an easy implementation and Great Customer Support

Reviewed on 2014/03/05

As a QA Manager I've worked with many defect tracking systems and ALM tools including TFS and HP QC\ALM. SpiraTeam is quick to implement and easy to work with. The key is mapping out your hierarchy and workflows for the project or all your projects if you're creating a template. This makes creating future projects a snap. The ease and flexibility of creating a custom Issue workflow was also key to a quick implementation. SpiraTeam has good basic functionality covering the different SDLC artifacts Issues, Requirements, Test Management, Releases, etc... There may be some features higher tiered ALM tools may have, but if they're not must haves for your team then SpiraTeam is the way to go.

I've worked with the Inflectra Support team on easy and very complex issues. They've been very responsive on their communication and followups. They're always a joy to work with.

Pros

Easy and Quick Implementation
Ease of use througout
Pricing
Good overall functionality across the board for all SDLC Artifacts, not just Defect Tracking
Integration to third party software
Great Customer Support
Importing of artifacts is easy

Cons

Limited flexibility of controlling location of the fields on each screen
Reports are a bit cumbersome
Making Global Changes that would impact multiple projects in progress
Linking Artifacts across projects for cross functionality

Pascal H.

Good mid range ALM-software for a good price

Reviewed on 2010/03/30

good software covering a lot of functions for a good price

Pros

Very quick und friendly support with honest and competent answers.
Interesting price.
Important ALM-function are covered

Cons

However we miss some specific functions. Therefore we need workarounds or specific implementations:

Cross-project associations or copy function for custom properties

Render different attachments format (without coping them as image in the description field) in a HTML report

Ability to change or add custom report

Copying configuration between different installations

Data migration from (other than the 4 supported tools) third party software with attachments

Disabling not always used mandatory fields (planed effort) in the different asp pages

Subramanya U.

Highly cost effective solution for test management

Reviewed on 2010/03/03

Great and simple tool, a cost effective solution.

Pros

1) Features available
2) Cost per feature
3) Integration with TestComplete & NUnit
4) Great Sales person; Adam helping end user better understanding of functionality, providing workaround and more importantly promptness in response.

Cons

1) Inflexibility in reports, though this could be overcome by customized xml reports, this customization could have been made simpler.
2) Dashboard is functional but not appealing
3) Testing tasks other than testcase execution could not be created
4) OS Env could not be mentioned for a test planning & execution

Response from Inflectra

For item (4) you just need to add OS/Env custom properties on the Test Runs and then you can specify such factors during testing.

Paras K.

SpiraTeam Review

Reviewed on 2014/07/25

Basis our current usage, we have found Spira to be a good SDLC tool till the testing stage. This has helped us tracking/recording and monitoring our test cases and test results.

The workflow in which we are able to track the requirement from the initial requirement gathering stage to the release stage, including testing very effectively. It has also helped in keeping a tab on the release calender and hence effective Project Management.

There is scope of improvement in the overall upload functionality, specially post appending our data. Creation of new workflow, still remains a challenge, which hopefully spira team is working towards addressing.
It would be helpful, if we complete SDLC cycle, including post release management workflows as well.

Timothy M.

Review for government contractor agile team

Reviewed on 2011/08/22

Would highly recommend. We reviewed several tracking tools for agile development, and this was definitely one of the top contenders. Nice work!

Pros

Excellent tool. Really liked the ability to trace a requirement all the way through the process, linking it to test cases.

Cons

The one negative for us was the lack of a sortable backlog for scrum. I was not able to find a way to rank items in a list to create the order for the backlog. Are there any plans for this in an upcoming release?

Response from Inflectra

You can prioritize the items in the backlog by assigning them a priority value (1-4) however in addition in a future release we shall be adding the ability to drag and drop prioritize them.

Greg S.

SpiraTeam is a Feature-Rich Product with Incredible Technical Support

Reviewed on 2010/03/11

I would absolutely recommend the product to others who are looking for a easy to use, feature-rich, well-supported, and low-cost solution.

[Note: I can act as a referral on my own accord, but cannot endorse any product on behalf of SAIC.]

Pros

- Easy to install and use. Out of the box, the package just works, no hassles.

- Documentation is *extremely* well done, in all areas: Comprehensiveness, organization, layout, technical content, language and grammar, clarity.

- Technical support is incredibly responsive and helpful; extremely knowledgable; and goes above and beyond what is required.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Amanda J.

Excellent product

Reviewed on 2015/01/18

Overall SpiraTeam is an excellent product, very easy to use and testers love the set up. I have been setting it up onsite for a major client and showing their test team how to use the product. As well as the set up, I am also hooking it up to Rapise to get automated testing in place for a continuous deployment solution.

There have been one or two issues, however, the Inflectra support team are very, very quick to help and resolve any problems, and they also readily implement change suggestions if you come up with something that would be useful.

Note: Make sure you take a full back up before updating to newer versions if running on a local server.

Tony A.

Customer Service/Product Review

Reviewed on 2011/10/21

I would recommend the product based on ease of use, customer support and moderate pricing model.

Pros

Customer support was excellent. The product features are clear and easy to use. The system is highly customizable using a hierarchical structure. The application produces high quality reports as well.

Cons

I would like to see some features that leverage graphics a bit more. Also the ability to link assets between projects and a more robust (and customizable) use case module will add some value (although I understand these are underway.

Jus S.

Excellent Value

Reviewed on 2011/02/09

Our web search found a large spectrum of requirements traceability tools from do-it-yourself spreadsheet templates to enterprise class installations that were far out of our price range. SpiraTeam was a great find in that it exceeded our needs and was very affordable offering great value. It's quickly become the focal point of our project implementation activities.

Pros

- Affordable
- Ease of installation
- Has all the functionality we were looking for, primaily reguirements traceability and testing.

Cons

- had a bit of difficulty with JIRA sync but have since decided not to integrate the two.

Dawn L.

Reviewed on 2009/05/14

SpiraTeam is great. You get much more than you pay for. I would definitely recommend this software to others.

Pros

You're customer service is wonderful. Everytime I have presented a question I receive a very quick email back from Adam. Other than our own customer service I have never received such good service from a software vendor.

Cons

With the new 2.2 upgrade I have lost the ability to tab when creating a new test script. This is causing me to take twice as long to enter my steps.

Jan S.
  • Industry: Automotive

excelent but colicated tool for managing development

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

overview about load and work

Pros

solution complexity is good for managers and overview, graphs is good and transparent to users, notification is understandable

Cons

not so much user friendly mainly for simple users, navigation is not simple, default dashboard is complicated and too much data contains

Response from Inflectra

Thanks for the feedback, SpiraTeam is designed to be a comprehensive solution. We have been simplifying the navigation and layout in the last couple of releases for end users (vs. managers).

Jagatha R.

Spira Team Review

Reviewed on 2010/07/14

I would strongly recommend this product.

Pros

This seems to be one tool that could replace several different tools that we have.

Also, this is one centralized location for various teams to look into the status of the projects.

Cons

I have some questions. Once I figure out if the tool can do that or not, I might be able to answer this better.

Boris G.

SpiraTeam

Reviewed on 2015/03/11

Pros:
Great integration story with variety of third party tools.
Strong customization capabilities
Availability of all key components

Cons:
Reports don't have enough graphical representations.
Limited and not very intuitive customization of the reports.
Some painful flows in the integration with very popular tool on the market: Jira.

Response from Inflectra

Thanks for the feedback, we are aware of the JIRA integration piece and we are going to be releasing a direct cloud connect option in the very near future for customers where both tools are cloud-based.

Jeremy M.

Great product

Reviewed on 2016/12/02

We've been using the product for a couple of years and it has been great so far. Support has been very responsive and helpful whenever we needed them.

Bernd B.

Just starting

Reviewed on 2015/02/24

We have just started to work with SpiraTeam. What I can tell so far, support is excellent.

Rakesh P.

spira

Reviewed on 2013/09/02

Product performs well.
Have technical challange linking krono's to spira which was our original goal

Andrew B.

Yes, I definitly recomment the product.

Reviewed on 2009/03/11

Yes, I definitly recomment the product.

Pros

customer support is great

Cons

The product doesn't (yet) have as many features as some of the rest of them.

Peter M.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

SpiraTeam - The HP ALM/HPQC Killer

Reviewed on 2020/09/16

My philosophy is that the tool should fit the project, not the other way round, so I use SpiraTeam as and when the project requires. All my tests begin life as Excel checklists. If we have specific requirements then I will make use of the Requirements and map them to Test Scripts to get full traceability from a requirements, through testing, through defect management to reporting of test coverage. We write and maintain our own legacy systems, so most of our projects only have high level requirements, hence there is little point using the full suite of SpiraTeam, as it is overkill for such small projects.

For most projects, SpiraTeam is used as more of a project place holder at a very high level to track project details and capture any requirements documentation. It is inefficient to write test scripts in Excel for small projects and import them in to SpiraTeam and execute them from SpiraTeam, as this is a needless duplication of effort.

I've implemented Exploratory Testing, so test scripts are high level one-liners, reading more like a checklist than a typical Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 style of test scripts. Familiarity with our own in-house software renders the need to write detailed step by step tests redundant. When new legislation is passed that we must comply with, I use SpiraTeam for Test Management to dot the I's and cross the T's, making use of requirements capture, test scripting, requirements mappings, test execution, defect management and Reporting.

Pros

Easier and more user-friendly to use than HP ALM/QC, whilst offering a similar level of comprehensive features, for a lot less outlay than HP's ALM/QC, IBM, CompuWare etc.

SpiraTeam is flexible enough to be used differently for each project. For example, SpiraTeam can be used as a document repository for one project, just a test script and test execution tool for another, and as a full blown project life cycle tool encompassing requirements, tests, defects, management and reporting functions.

The support provided by Inflectra is head and shoulders above the competition, showing the big boys how it should be done. Responses are prompt and with plenty of examples relevant to your industry sector to help get you going. Don't be surprised if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] himself replies to your support request. It seems that the company's sales team are well versed in using the software tools that they sell. For us, it is the support that wins out over any rivals.

Pricing is clear and upfront, unlike some of the smoke and mirrors sales tactics used by other vendors who shall remain nameless but here are some hints ... Has Problems, It Breaks More and Don't Expect to Last Long.

Cons

Upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0 fails. In the past upgrading other vendor tools has been a deal breaker when it failed. A tool should be able to upgrade itself without throwing any SQL errors or similar. Administrators and DBA's should not need to run any specific scripts or commands, the tool should do this automatically and without error. We are unable to take advantage of new features offered in 6.0 and beyond.
Integration of any test tool with a business is not easy because the tool forces you to work its way rather than the tool supporting existing processes.
I needed to write a VB script to translate/transpose my test scripts into the correct format for importing into SpiraTeam, as a consequence of the tool forcing the tester to work how the tool works.

Kevin D.
  • Industry: Food Production
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great product for managing software testing at a great price.

Reviewed on 2016/12/02

SpiraTeam has been a great tool for meeting our Software Quality Testing goals. We use Planning to track our business requirements and trace them to our test cases. We use the Testing section to capture all our test cases and record our test runs. We have started to use the Rapise Test Automation Tool to integrate with SpiraTeam and run our test automation scripts. We use Tracking to document all our test failures and track incidents for our projects. The Dashboard and Reporting sections have been valuable in communicating test progress and results to our project teams. We have been very pleased with the tools use and performance.

Pros

All the functionality needed for our Software Quality Testing goals at a great price.

Cons

Reporting could be easier to manage and sorting columns by "not" would be valuable - ex. Status = "not" Accepted for Requirements.

Boris G.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

SpiraTeam, great potentials, good feature set and excellent support team

Reviewed on 2016/12/02

I believe the fact that I bringing with me the SpiraTeam to the third company I am working for, speaks for itself. In my current company, I was able to replace Jenkins and TestRail with the SpiraTeam. Eliminating an extra tool is always great news for the companies, thank you SpiraTeam!

Pros

Great variety of plugins

Cons

Limitations for some integrations, Jenkins will be a good example for that.

Response from Inflectra

Thanks Boris, we have the page rendering speed, firmly in our sights for the next version.

Ambrish D.

Its an awesome prodect from Inflectra for overall project management . Customer support is...

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

Pros

Nice features,integration with most of the automation tools,ease of navigation,easy to understand UI,tracking of tasks,version control,access as per roles,easy tracking of all artifacts and easy to understand the mappings with them.

Cons

Reporting can be much better.Sometimes some formats throw error while reporting,mostly detailed incident reports fail while attaching images other than jpeg formats.

Don T.

High Functionality, Low Price & Responsive Support - It's a Winner!

Reviewed on 2010/01/28

Highly recommended.
Cannot be beaten for functionality and support at the price point. And I've looked at many, with over 10 years experience with the big boys !!! Throw away those Word documents and Excel spreadsheets. At this price you can afford this top class software. You'll wonder why you made do with anything less!! And there is a free 30 day trial. That's how we got hooked.

Pros

Functionality, Price and Support. What more do you need in a Test Management Tool? And it has integration with other tools and test automation.
SpiraTeam was trialled over three major projects and was enthusiastically accepted by both the IT group and the Business Areas doing UAT with absolutely minimal training. SpiraTeam provides a high level of functionality at an extremely affordable price point. I was extremely pleased with the responsiveness of Inflectra to every issue and suggestion I raised.
When you're sitting in a meeting with SpiraTeam users discussing incident reports from one of the trial projects, and the Director turns to you and says..."give me the quote...we need SpiraTeam" you know the product is doing the job for both test process improvement and management reporting. A winner for all !!

Cons

Oracle support (but it is on the way).
Greater email support ( such as broadcast notification to all SpiraTeam users)- but that is on the way too.