Showing 126 reviews of 116

RescueTime

Time management for teams of knowledge workers

Showing 126 reviews of 116
Bryan M.
  • Industry: Design

My favorite solution for seeing where time is spent

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

Easiest way to track productivity and time spent across applications/categories.

Pros

Rescuetime automatically tracks and categorizes the activities of you and your team. It makes it easy to see what areas and applications you might be spending more time in than expected. The weekly report emails are great and the productivity score is a nice way to get a glance at productivity vs previous months.

Cons

I would like if there was a different way to categorize specific files from different projects into projects within rescuetime. There may be a way to make a solution like this happen with the current features, but if I could tag certain portions of time towards specific projects it would give me further insight not only on the type of work I am doing (development, communication), but into the specific project that time was spent on. This is a small niche need though and it hasn't stopped me from using Rescuetime.

Iris H.
  • Industry: Entertainment

The stats will surprise you

Reviewed on 2018/09/08

Definitely worth it.

Pros

Rescuetime has mostly helped me whittle down little time sinks that I was unaware of. For example, it turned out I spent 30 minutes a day selecting songs on iTunes; now I have a playlist on shuffle and do not actively use iTunes anymore to select my music during the work day.

Rescuetime has often surprised me by showing stats being very different from how I perceived them. It can also be motivated to see a highly productive day unfolding and feeling competitive with yourself.

Cons

Currently Rescuetime cannot distinguish browser tabs in Firefox. Other apps like Timedoctor can, so I'm sure Rescuetime could fix this if they'd commit to it.

Collin B.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Simple to use, takes a little bit of setup, but worth it

Reviewed on 2018/04/23

Good weekly reporting of time usage, with decent granularity. It's totally out of the way and does everything without me thinking about it now that I have all of my apps and regular websites categorized.

Pros

It's really easy to use and once you go through setting things up it takes no thought or effort. It just runs in the background and reports weekly. Knowing that it's running helps me stay on task.

Cons

The auto-categorization works okay, but I needed to spend a good chunk of time custom categorizing various apps and websites because it was throwing off my reporting. (But I AM glad that they at least allow you that option)

• Used Other for 1+ year

Rescue your days and weeks from procastinating (too much)

Reviewed on 2020/02/12

A good tool to breakdown and understand your time online and offline on the devices, a great tool to have if you want to be more productive and healthier as well.

Pros

Rescue TIme is a great tool for those concerned on how are they spending their time online. Rescue Time lets you record precisely how much time you spent and where, giving you a real (often shocking) insight on what you were doing. This not only concerns people that wants to be more productive but also people that want to stay away from using too much their phones.

In general RescueTime is simple and their free version does well for my needs. Rescue Time is simple to use, you don't have to do anything, just pretend nobody is watching and check your reports to see what's going on.

Cons

Their GUI could use some improving, the overall design of the websites are apps is a bit outdated and for such a popular service I would expect a better design. Maybe it's on the way.

Generally speaking I am happy with Rescue Time and I don't see major issues using it.

Tami G.

Thank you Rescue Time for keeping me on track!

Reviewed on 2018/05/21

peace of mind that I am on task and spending the right amount of time working

Pros

I love the report that they send me each week, which shows how much time I have been spending on each task. Even better is that it was all set up for me, without me having to input anything extra. I like that it separates tasks into client work, and non-productive time and provide a visual chart graphic to help me really see how I am doing.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like! Since social media is both a business task and personal/entertainment it is hard to know 100% on that one category, but I don't think that is a fault of the software.

Jorgen P.

Great for staying accountable

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

RescueTime brings insights into how you use your time, whether it's in a productive way or not. Can shed light on just how much time you spend on your computer.

Pros

Automatic tracking of how you use your time
Easy to use dashboard
Great way to stay accountable with your Goals

Cons

Lack of detail in reporting (RescueTime is not a replacement for time tracking for contractors)
Always on nature of recording can pose a privacy risk

Adithya U.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Excellent tool to track your/employee productive time

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Pros

* Great easy to setup tool to track all activities done in system.
* Extremely accurate regarding the activities and time usage.
* Excellent reporting to generate and analyze the pattern.
* Can be used to track Employee productivity.
* Not a privacy nightmare as many sensitive data is not captured.
* Can be used to track our computer usage and help us to be more productive.
* Supports mobile devices and linux,Mac as well.

Cons

*Bit expensive for premium version/organization plans.

Essential for Telecommuters and anyone billing hourly

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

ability to see how focused i am from day to day.

Pros

seamlessly integrates with all browsers. the same account can run on multiple machines. the default setup is pretty accurate and easy to customize to your productivity tendencies.

Cons

viewing trends over multiple years can be slow. Id love the ability to generate a lifetime report for view later.

Stephen S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Affordable, Easy-to-Use Productivity and Time Tracking Solution

Reviewed on 2018/03/19

RescueTime allows me to keep tabs on my self essentially. I can see what I've been doing and how long I was doing it. Specifically, it allows me to see how much time I wasted on Facebook and how much time I spent working on a project.

Pros

RescueTime requires little to no configuration or attention. You simply install it on your computer and/or install the various browser plugins and let it do its thing - tracking your activities and time.

Cons

As an analytics nerd, I would like to see RescueTime have even more tracking features and abilities. The one con that I will mention is having to specifically allow RescueTime to specifically track what is being done in certain websites/applications.

Gerardo esteban C.

What I like most of rescuetime is it's ability to detect when an user is not using the...

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

It was great, it solves the problem of not doing overtime or tracking extra paid time.

Pros

I like how RescueTime tracks all the apps the user has opened and use as well as the browsers links.
I like it's idle time feature. And their reports and graphics.

Cons

You can't track by project and make estimations about each time-consuming project in the company.
The promp ask you about some time idle is so useful but is not active by default.

Michal L.
  • Industry: Legal Services

RescueTime lets me see how much "business" work I do each week.

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Pros

1. Easy to use.
2. Easy to customize/configure to track the things I do.
3. I use the free version, which has great features for free.
4. Being competitive, I like to try and beat my previous week's score and be more productive.

Cons

There are few things I don't like about RescueTime. They have new versions out frequently, but the install is completely painless (does not require a computer restart), so it is a very minor inconvenience.

Sorin A.

Find where you're leaking time

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

I've used RescueTime to find out why I wasn't getting a lot of work done after work. After I've used it for about a week, the results were clear: YouTube was taking over hours and hours of my time. I started using it less and focused more on my writing, which gave me more pleasure anyway.

Pros

Once you set this up, it's so easy to forget about it. Few pieces of software actually encourage you to NOT use it. I really appreciated this. Only browser extension and another small installer for your operating system means you're ready to monitor your time very fast.

Cons

There aren't a lot of features to talk about. So it's hard to even call this a con. But perhaps other pieces of software that do similar things have more things to use. I would've like to be able to more specifically fine tune hours of operation, the software or websites it should monitor. Reports aren't amazing - at least in the free version. Overall it feels very barebones in the features department.

Jovana V.

Don't waste your time

Reviewed on 2019/07/21

I am glad I installed it, though I am not checking it regularly. But it helped me understand how I spend my time and how to be more productive.

Pros

I am feeling that the time slips through my fingers and now I know where. This tool helped me monitor how I spend time -- how much time do I actually work and how much I am fooling around.

Cons

Maybe they should improve the categorization and introduce a daily wrap up notification.

Himanshu G.

Easy time tracking and management

Reviewed on 2020/09/20

I mainly use it to track the amount of time I spend on different activities throughout the day and week.
The app and software are quite handly, although lack the polish and finish in UI & UX.
Takes time to get used to and extract valuable info to optimise your workflow.

Pros

Very easy to time spent on different activities
Has desktop and smartphone apps
Browser extension is very handy
Weekly reminders

Cons

User interface is dated
User experience is not optimised. Somethings are buried and need a lot to clicks to reach
Takes many clicks to change the activity categories. Cannot do multiple at the same time

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Use it understand where my time goes.

Reviewed on 2018/06/30

Overall: An eye-opener or me and for many people

Pros

This software requires no set up at all. Everything is done automagically. Later, if needed, you can re-categorize some tasks. For example, if you are searching candidates in social networks you can tag this time as productive.

Cons

Cons: Nothing really. Sometimes it is hard to see the picture of your time habits with a helicopter view, as this software tends to focus on large tasks.

Control

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

Pros

Getting the stats of what I do on a daily basis was just what I needed to have it all controlled.
I love how I can see how much I spend on each site. The reports are also very helpful.

Cons

I just haven't found a con I can talk about.

Chris M.

Great to motivate you and get you to cut back on distracting websites

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Getting users to cut back more and more on distractions while at work. Accountability is also much higher while using this

Pros

Great to see what you are doing throughout the day, really lets you know where you are wasting time and how to correct yourself. Also great because you don't have to feel guilty when you making progress and showing the team where they waste time throughout the day

Tim M.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Deeply personalized data on your tech habits

Reviewed on 2019/05/21

Its amazing that RescueTime is free and it provides a great view of how I spend my time. I don't actively use it, but recommend it to anyone curious in getting more information on their habits.

Pros

RescueTime is easy to setup and after a brief period provided deep insight on my digital habits. I love that RescueTime categories the different types of software I use by default to measure how productively I am using my time. Every week I can get an overview of how I've spent my time, which helps me make better decisions.

Cons

The value of RescueTime can fall flat after initial experience with it. After I got acquainted with my habits, reports were more discouraging or distracting than insightful.

Stuart W.

Keep an eye on wasteful time with weekly reporting

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Pros

I first installed this to keep track of my own time so I could understand what I was spending most of my time on and see if I needed to outsource time consuming tasks so I could focus on more important areas. Later it was useful to install it on our apprentice's PC and make him pay attention to where he should be focusing his work. For free, this tool is indispensable.

Cons

None that I can think of when using the free service.

Derek Z.

Helps me keep track of my time, both on the computer, and otherwise, using (premium)...

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

Very accurately tracks your time with each program and website. Then it categorizes it by productivity, and usually gets it in the right category. But you can easily edit it when it guesses wrong. And somethings it cannot categorize, such as IP numbers (accessing admin servers, etc, by their ip address).

Cons

Interfaces could be improved.
It would be nice if the productivity stats could be shown in a basic GUI on the PC. But I don't mean an embedded browser type of thing to install to view the dashboard in its own window instead of the browser---like so many programs are nowadays.

Kyle S.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Runs in the background

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Pros

What I like about Rescue time is that it checks how your spending your time in the background, which is much better than other apps that ask you to mark off time for different activities. The free version is enough for me.

Cons

Unfortunately, it only keeps track of when you are using apps and your computer. Ideally it should keep track of how much time you are in the car and walking as well.

Jonathan Q.

Fantastic product

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

I have only used the free version, but it has given me great insight into my day. Beyond that, the competitor in me wants to do better each day, meet my goals, and see the numbers go up. The great thing is that the tracking and analytics just takes care of itself and I can see the results.

Pros

Ease of use, fantastic insight, great plugin, syncs across devices

Cons

There are some options that I want that I don't get with the free product, but that's to be expected. Even the with the free product, it's fantastic.

Rafat S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Innovative way to understand personal productivity

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

It was pleasant and progressive. There's definitely a lot of learning to be derived which lasts beyond the use of the tool.

Pros

It's a good learning tool where I can gauge how my time has been applied and figure out how I can streamline my not-so-productive activities.

Cons

There's not much wrong with this. However, it should be taken as a suggestive tool and not as a deciding tool. The results shouldn't be taken out of context. They should be just used for self-reflection and improvement.

Denise G.

Very customizable to meet your needs

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Pros

The software offers exactly what you need through multiple product options. The data is very easy to interpret once you learn how to use the software. This has allowed people in our company to be more productive and make better choices in the use of their time.

• Used Other for Free Trial

Productivity Tracker

Reviewed on 2021/02/19

RescueTime is great for productivity tracking and it is very accurate as well

Pros

I like that this app can record all the apps I use and plot a graph showing this usage. It can track usage across all platforms and give a consolidated usage graph.

Cons

I think this app is great. I have nothing against it and I did not experience any bugs during the time I tried it out.