Neat

Simple & easy bookkeeping automation for small business

4 /5 (93 reviews) Write a Review!

4 /5
Emily K.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Recycle your documents and keep an archive on your computer!

Reviewed on 2019/07/20

It's solved storage space problems with various documents. We keep copies of agreements, employee paperwork, checks, and etc. We used to have huge file cabinet drawers full of various paperwork, however, once we got this software and scanner, we were able to recycle all the documents and organize everything in our computer system in the office. We have cleared up so much storage space using this software alone. This also is more reliable as well, as we are able to look up anything we need and need not worry about losing anything important. It's been helpful to us if we have to look up something for our clients instead of having to sift through papers. It's made customer service a whole lot easier. The organization is simple with this software as well. You can have it stored on your computer and use whatever method of organization you like. If you don't have this, I recommend it.

Pros

I love the fact that it can scan double-sided documents without any more effort than single-sided documents. The fact you can scan a variety of sizes from checks, regular paper, to business cards is amazing. It doesn't take much desk space, which is a major plus. It's been helping keep our office organized and help save the planet so that we don't have to keep drawers full of papers, we can scan, recycle, and move on.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about it. Like all other pieces of technology, you may have errors, but those are easy to fix with a re-scan or a simple reboot.

Response from Neat

Thank you so much for writing a review!
We are glad to hear that you have been staying Neat with us! Keeping you rganized is our goal. Thank you again!

Elizabeth B.

Neat Scanner in the Office

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

Was able to process 500 business cards in no time to vcards, scan receipts on daily basis, scan documents for clients all the time. This machine is so easy to use. You can change it from 2 sided scan, to a one sided, from color to b/w with just a click of a button. Scans go quickly and easily. On the off-chance one gets hung up the front opens easily and has never shredded my items. Also, love the feature we use at the end of the year to get the sales tax report. Very cool

Cons

No cons at this time.

Response from Neat

Thank you for taking the time leave us review. We are happy to hear that the scanner has streamlined your processes

Christina A.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Does what I need it to

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

I have had the scanner for over a year now and I am happy with it. I do wish customer support was better and free. This machine did cost a lot of money, and when I need it, I need it. I don't like having to submit a support ticket. I want to be able to talk to a real person on the phone. I would like to see the file menu more user friendly to navigate through my computer's folders when trying to scan something to the PC. It would also be neat if I could click and drag the files to where I need them (contacts, receipts, etc) Lastly, the contact menu should be easier to find. There is no tab for it. Overall, I am happy for what I use it for, these are just suggestions for improvement.

Pros

Quick and easy scanning.

Cons

The navigation through files on my computer when scanning to the computer is not easy nor quick to move through. I would like to see something that is more user friendly. Also, there is no contacts tab so it is difficult to find where I scan all my business cards.

Linda L.

Neat Expense Tracking is a Plus

Reviewed on 2018/10/01

Once I understood how to use the software to improve my business and skills the overall experience was beneficial. Thus productivity increased and became a part of the operative agenda.

Pros

What I like most about NEAT is that is assists you in reducing the amount of paper accumulated for business expense tracking. It is an easy way for small business owners to vamp into using technology to organize expenses, files and anything that needs to be archived.

Cons

What I like least about the software is that I found the instructions hard to understand. As a product producer you have to be mindful that most business owners who use the software may have no other technology except a point of sale system. When you assume that the customer knows then you setting the customer up to be intimated and lose interest.

Response from Neat

Linda, thank you for your very valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear that there was difficulty in understanding the product when you first began. We welcome any additional feedback you may have in how to improve a customers onboarding experience

Sarah M.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A hassle to use

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

It takes very clean scans of Documents, receipts, and ID cards and keeps them neatly organized. I really like being able to rearrange the order of my scans before saving.

Pros

The scanning quality is great. It rarely gets paper jams. Being able to rearrange my scans after scanning is complete is a really nice feature.

Cons

Needs constant updates, Having to log in after a 5 minute timeout, when I need to constantly scan all day is a real pain.

Response from Neat

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your review. We are working on changes to allow users to streamline their workflow. Stay tuned!

easy & good for home use

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Pros

The neat scanner & program is easy to use. We used this program to scan all our documents into digital files. Inexpensive.

Cons

The Neat Scanner did have some gliches with shutting down. Customer service was not the most greatest! Very difficult to get speak to someone about issues.

Response from Neat

Thank you for the feedback. Customer care is always available to assist via email, chat and phone. We also host a variety of online support articles to also answer Neat related questions.

Visit the following link to find out more: https://support.neat.com/

• Industry: Wholesale

EXCELLENT tool for a common paper hoarder!

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Only scanner that I have used or will use due to how easy it is.

Pros

The scanner that works with this software is easy to use and easy to install.

Cons

Sometimes there are connection issues. Overall, it's workable

Response from Neat

Thank you for the positive review! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the software and Scanner provided. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Sanace B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

It does it job

Reviewed on 2020/02/05

Pros

It is easy to use and keeps everything organized in its folder.

Cons

the cost is expensive to upgrade and has glitches of errors many times

Response from Neat

Thank you for submitting a review!
We are happy to hear that you are using the product with ease. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Kenneth H.

Love it

Reviewed on 2018/02/24

Better search capability. Paperless file storage.

Pros

I really like the printable reports. It is a versatile product. It can be used to store lots of different files.

Cons

It is a fairly sizable program that uses a rather large amount of memory while open. It does take some effort to learn use.

Response from Neat

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for the review. Neat is working to add additional features which many users will find as an asset and to simplify the program for ease of use. Stay tuned for what Neat has to offer next!

Crystal B.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Awesome tool for the office

Reviewed on 2017/04/19

This tool works reat with Quickbooks and helps to effectively track all receipts and properly classify the expenses

Pros

Reads receipts easily and it is compatible with Quickbooks which fulfills the needs of the office effectively

Cons

I only purchased the mobile scanner due to space issues but would love to get the larger version later on

Fred W.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Neat is neat

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

I have used Neat for a year now and it has simplified my record keeping and tax preparation.
No more magnetically imprinted receipts I can't read a few days later..I scan them at the table! I finish the tax info later.
Tax summaries a a few clicks and your ready for your CPA or do it yourself.
This would have saved my money and time if I had known about it years ago.
My suggestion, don't wait another day. Get it.

Pros

Easy and convenient

Sarah S.

We love using NEAT!

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

Pros

Well, neat lives up to it's name. We use neat for organizing all of our receipts, invoices and packing slips and we create folders so it is very easy to find something!

Cons

Honestly, we have only had one problem and I am not sure if it was because of our computer being so old and slow. We found out that a lot of the documents we scanned had actually not scanned or saved, but it was only during that one day we were scanning things in, so it could have been a user error as well.

Response from Neat

Sarah, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. We are pleased to hear that you had a had a good experience using Neat Products and Services. Please feel to reach out to our technical support department if you find you are need of assistance

Lukas D.

It's just not worth it

Reviewed on 2018/11/17

Pros

I like that you can organize and file your receipts and documents.

Cons

How limited the functionality is and the big differences between the cloud interface and functions and the software itself.

Response from Neat

Lukas,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We are glad to hear that you are able to stay organized with your receipts and documents! We do apologize for any frustration regarding the the similarities and differences between the desktop software and the cloud based software and we are currently working to improve the system even more. Within this year, we will be releasing a new product that joins the features of the desktop app and the cloud software to provide a great and seamless Neat Experience. Thank you again for choosing Neat!

Richard L.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Trouble w/Neat

Reviewed on 2017/04/20

Recently I switched from a PC to an IMac computer. Neat seemed to work great on the PC, but when I downloaded the driver for Mac, every time I tried to use Neat it started to scan and then shut down. Support said there would be a fix by the first of the month. That was the first of April. It still is not working. I now have a large paper weight on my desk w/the Neat name and logo on it.

Pros

It's great if it works. Just don't try it on a Mac.

Cons

Doesn't work on a Mac computer!

Response from Neat

We apologize for the delay in a release to resolve the issues that you are reporting. We have just released the latest version of the software to resolve that issue.

If you like we can have a tech support agent reach out to for further assistance.

Petya M.
  • Industry: Design

I use it for scanning

Reviewed on 2018/09/24

I scan my files.

Pros

I rarely need to scan documents or books, but it happens and I use this software. It is easy to work with and I can scan and store my files quickly. I like that it offers other features, but I don't use them for now.

Cons

Can't say, about other features, but scanning is ok, no cons until now.

Response from Neat

Petya, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. We are pleased to hear that that you are happy with the software. Feel free to reach out to our technical support team if you have any questions or concerns.

David W.

Neat

Reviewed on 2016/03/25

Neat has problems. Been trying to get help from customer support for over a month. Seems customer support stops in a month unless you use there paid monthly plans. I think they are ignoring me so there is no support. There is no way I would buy the monthly service, since I cant get it to work. Why pay extra for something not working

Patrick O.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great software and equipment.

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

I use my neat receipt for my small business. The software is great but the equipment needs improvement with smaller pieces of paper and receipts.

Pros

Very easy to use and its very good at organizing in groups.

Cons

There is small learning curve when starting out.

Gordon G.

Neat receipts good choice

Reviewed on 2009/07/22

I would recommend the product to anyone.

Pros

Good product easy to use. convenient for travel business individuals.

Cons

system resources

John S.

Bad Bad Bad Bad customer service

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

Discontinued support for the legacy desktop software. So now they want a minimum of 80 bucks a year to do what should be for free. Bye Bye Neat. Your cloud isn't as good as others and your customer support sucks.

Hersh G.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Best serive EVER!

Reviewed on 2019/11/15

Running a bank account with a bank that is actually there for you and is extremely proactive.

Pros

I have never ever come across such a flawless experience. Their clean webpage, the efficiency of opening a bank account, the security entailed in it, the professionalism of their compliance, and most of all their exceptional service.
You can reply to generic emails they send you, you can contact them on the webpage with any question and they will be there for you. They will get back to you with links and solutions etc.
Again, their service is amazing and I am sure anyone will be extremely satisfied working with them.
they have a deal with stripe where new startups don't pay stripe fees.

Cons

I haven't explored thier integrations yet. Once I do I will update.

Response from Neat

Thank you for submitting a review!
We are very happy to hear that you are enjoying Neat!
Awesome to know you are utilizing our features and are enjoying the Neat experience!

Barry F.

when you no longer need it they extort you to pay to keep access to your receipts and documents

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

Worked fine but have to pay for service I don't need to keep data

Pros

Easy to use, fast, quick accurate. Could scan receipts as I get them, and toss the paper

Cons

I have used NEAT since it was Neat Receipts. The idea is to scan documents and receipts, or photograph them, so you can be paperless.

It worked fine, and I have thousands of receipts stored. Except…….now comes “Extortion” from the company.

After Covid and retirement, I no longer need their services. So, I wanted to end my monthly subscription. However, unless I continue paying, I don’t have access to the receipts and documents I have scanned.

So, if I get an IRS audit, or need other documentation that has been scanned, I can’t access them unless I continue to subscribe to their service. So even if I don’t need their services anymore, I have to pay for them.

They offered me the option of downloading each receipt one at a time. Thousands of receipts. Not reasonable. And they cannot be downloaded in a batch.

I’ve been a client of theirs for many years, possibly over a decade or more, I purchased 3 scanners from them (no longer usable due to updates, which happens as technology progresses), but now I’m being extorted out of money for perhaps 7 years (based upon IRS rules for keeping receipts).

It is an outrage, and might I suggest that while you might feel your data is safely stored, you can’t have it once you don’t need their services anymore.

I contacted an attorney to find out if they are required by law to give me access to my data.

Thanks for listening to my warning.

Response from Neat

Thank you for submitting a review!
As stated, when you no longer pay for your subscription, you do not have access to the software. We do apologize that bulk downloading is not a feature that is currently available. Please follow the steps within this article to access any PDFs of your receipts that are store onto your computer - https://support.neat.com/smartorganizationsystem/access-local-pdfs-of-all-neat-cloud-images-offline
When signing up for a Neat subscription, you agreed to the terms and conditions which state that if you cancel your subscription with the Neat company, access to the software will be denied. We apologize for any confusion caused.

Elwood G.

Great expense tracking app

Reviewed on 2020/12/22

I use the app to track all my personal and business expenses. I am a believer.

Pros

I have used Neat I think since it came out and rely on it to track my expenses. I find it especially invaluable at tax time.

Cons

They recently "upgraded" the app and I was initially not that happy with the changes. I am slowly learning about the changes and getting more comfortable with them.

Response from Neat

Thank you for submitting a review!
We are happy to hear that you are adjusting to all of the new functionality of Neat. If you ever need assistance, please feel free to schedule a 1:1 training session with one of our support agents. We thank you for choosing Neat and we appreciate you being a loyal customer!

Michael M.
  • Industry: Farming

A good idea when it started, but they lost their way...

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

What part of Data hostage should I describe? The reports are bad, but after my legacy crashed, I tried to access my old records and they are unavailable unless I pay for a subscription. The cloud is slow for me, no solution for that, NEAT doesn't care or help. I am actively seeking a better solution, or maybe just a different solution, one that is not just marketing to large cash flows and big margins. My overall experience with the cloud based solution is that for rural areas without high speed internet it is unsatisfactory. Discounting the slow rural as my issue, I was also not impressed with the reporting module. And as a final word, if you need to rely on the images of your scans in an audit, good luck. When I tried to print them the resolution was so bad as to be totally illegible. No IRS auditor will accept them as a valid record unless you are willing to turn your computer over to the IRS so he can see the original scans.

Pros

I like the compact scanner hardware, double sided scanning with no extra effort, ability to scan to a PDF or print a scanned PDF to NEAT. I like the ability to scan colored receipts that might not be legible in a grayscale or B/W scan. The scanner is fast, and the initialize button on the scanner itself is pretty handy when scanning a large pile of receipts. The OCR component is fairly accurate, I would say the Legacy OCR is about equivalent in accuracy to the cloud based premium version of 99%. I like that the software reminds you to backup at set intervals (obviously not an issue on the cloud system).

Cons

Neat lost their way as a cloud based service. They say safe, I say Expensive. Once you are on their cloud, if you don't pay you lose your records until you do, & they are expensive. I tried the cloud system, but b/c my internet is rural (slow), the throughput was abysmal. I tried a compromise solut'n, NEAT legacy synced to the cloud service. I did this because legacy was written so poorly that it would utilize all of the memory on a large report & then crash. Support tried many times to ascertain the reason for the crashes. They blamed the computer, OS, & the user, never NEAT, & never found a solution. Reinstalled a dozen times, tried three computers w/ 4 versions of Win (Vista, 7, 8 and 10) & 32 Bit & 64 Bit ver of 8 & 10. My thinking was that I could scan & process on legacy & Sync with the cloud for reporting. Wrong...the cloud service had even less flexibility than the half formed legacy software w/ regards to reports. Legacy was rudimentary, the cloud service was worse. Consequently, I dropped the cloud service & muddled along with Legacy for another few years, guess I will again, but I dislike it & the cloud is worse. After Win 10 fall update, legacy fails to init. On a whim I tried to access my old data, surprise, must subscribe. Data hostage. Imagine that! Final note, the scanned images can not be resurrected with a printer due to poor Resolution. I have nothing good to say about NEAT, the few stars I gave are for legacy, not cloud. BUYER BEWARE!

Response from Neat

Thank you for submitting a review!
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience or miscommunication that was caused. The legacy software that you are referring to has been retired for years now and has not had any updates for quite some time. Neat aslo does not hold any data hostage. All of your data can be stored directly onto your computer. If you do require any additional assistance, please take a look at our retired products community here - https://support.neat.com/retired

Ginger S.

Great if they allowed software not in the cloud

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

Pros

The scanner software is great and the documents scan well

Cons

They no longer support a software and want you to store all your scanned documents in the cloud. We only store on our firewall protected server. I'm not paying for document storage so we will use the old software until it will no longer work.

Response from Neat

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for your review. While we no longer provide updates for the retired software, you are certainly free to continue using it on your computer.

We do want to let you know that we provide bank level encryption security for our cloud service and have focused on the cloud because it allows us to provide unlimited storage at no extra cost, access from any web browser to view and share your information, and you can scan from virtually anywhere to the cloud via the Neat mobile app included free with subscriptions to Neat's cloud service.

We'll be here whenever you are ready to try Neat's cloud service.

Patrick B.
  • Industry: Photography

So glad I bought the bigger scanner.

Reviewed on 2019/12/30

Neat is a very important software for my photo studio. I can discard virtually all of my receipts now - the IRS recognizes Neat records as sufficient. I can easily find and review previous orders for comparison or reference. Although most supplier websites are getting very good about providing access to previous orders, etc., I still use Neat regularly rather than opening the web browser and finding the supplier.

Pros

Neat allows me to easily scan all of my receipts and offers sorting options. The product also lets me scan customers' hand printed order forms allowing me to return the forms with the photos or discard - but I still have all of the important contact information

Cons

My biggest complaint is speed when loading and searching. Also, the home page could be better organized or even customizable.

Response from Neat

Thank you for submitting a review!
We are happy to hear that you are enjoying all that Neat has to offer. From your review, it seems that you are using the Legacy software which is now retired and will no longer have any updates. We do suggest moving to the cloud based software as it does solve any issues that you could be experiencing with the desktop software.
Thank you so much for staying Neat with us!