CaseFox

4,7 (90)
Web-based legal billing software for lawyers, CPAs, & more

Tom K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Works well and easy to use

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

My overall experience with CaseFox has been great, it filled a gap in my practice software needs perfectly and now makes me look 100x more professional when dealing with complex cases.

Pros

I like that CaseFox contains all of the features I would need for basic case management in their free offering. This really gives you plenty of time to ensure it is the right fit for your practice before committing to the higher tiers.

Cons

Unfortunately CaseFox is undergoing a redesign, whilst this does not have a major effect if you stick to one version and use it there can be problems when changing to the new version as it doesn't have all of the same features as the old one and reformats some of the reports.

Response from CaseFox

Thankyou Tom, for your balanced and fair review. We're happy that your experience with CaseFox went smoothly. Also your feedback helps us get better. We are looking into the issue and hope to resolve it promptly and accurately.

Daro P.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

The Best Case Management / Billing software on the market (for the price), Hands Down!

Reviewed on 2021/05/28

Originally when we were searching for a case management/billing software, I tried about 20 different software's. CaseFox is hands down the easiest, well organized, versatile, customizable one I tried in our price range. We only use about 75% of the features (it's a very diverse system) and it handles all of our cases with ease. My firm currently operates out of 5 states, several employees and hundreds of open cases at a time. CF's down time is virtually nonexistent. When you email support, they get back to you typically within minuets. For the price (from my research, 60-80% cheaper than most others), the quality, the easy of use, OUTSTANDING customer service, diversity and customization... It's hands down the most underrated software on the market. Your doing your company and team a disservice if you don't at least try Casefox.

Pros

There are a ton of amazing things I can say about CF, but to keep it short their integration with multiple platforms is hands down handy and impressive to say the least. Makes our jobs super simple working with clients that work with multiple platforms such as Microsoft, google, Dropbox, PayPal, ect... The massive amount of features and functions this software covers all of our needs plus some. It is very diverse and with all of the features to add time and manage cases (mobile, tablet, web with 2 different UI's, text service) our teams billing's and accuracy has improved by more than 15%. Which is awesome! Super simple as well.... wanted to throw that in there.

Cons

I want to preface this by first saying that we have found ways around this and and is working great!... I wish there was more customizations to users. They have 5 settings which is great and one of them you can turn off and on functions for the user (office secretary), just for our specific use and workflow, a few more customizations would be a great resource.

Amicus Attorney, LawBase, MyCase, AbacusLaw, Legal Files and Clio

Reasons for Choosing CaseFox

The price was too high and didn't accommodate a few of the customizations I needed for our firm.

Reasons for Switching to CaseFox

Price, Customizations, integrations, customer service, sales teams (some of them really suck),

Response from CaseFox

Hi Daro, We really appreciate your detailed review and you taking out your time to have it all here!
Also, we will surely make your suggested changes done soon, so that you have a more seamless user experience!

Molly Z.

Just a review

Reviewed on 2022/04/30

Pros

There were many features and it had a very seamless way of managing client intake

Cons

Access to the client portal that was somewhat a challenge

Response from CaseFox

Hi Molly,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we really appreciate you taking out some time from your schedule to write good about us.

Regards,
CaseFox

Kris K.
  • Industry: Legal Services

fine until you need support

Reviewed on 2021/06/09

fine but didn't need anything from a human until recently and now I'm here writing this response!

Pros

easy to use/learn but don't expect any customer service (or any that isn't reason enough to cancel the service)..!

Cons

customer service; no one available to answer a phone call ever; emailed questions about errors in the program go ignored; if you are lucky to get a response, it will be so inciting, you'll be eager to complete a review like this to let the world know how horrible a company Casefox (and its support) is..!

Response from CaseFox

Hi Kris,

We are so sorry. We're normally known for our exceptional attention to detail, and we regret that we missed the mark.

We always aim to deliver a great experience, and we are gutted when we don't meet expectations. Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We will use the feedback to make us better and to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Thank you for posting this review and we're sorry to hear that your experience was not up to standards. We would like the opportunity to talk and investigate your feedback further.

Daniel C.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

With some tweaks, CaseFox would work better for forensic investigators and expert witnesses.

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

I have only experience one system outage in the 2+ years I have been using the software. Unfortunately, such an occurrence happens at the most inconvenient times.

Pros

The linkages within the software allow it to play well in the office tools environment. Integrations to MSOffice, Quickbooks and Dropbox are well accepted.

Cons

The tool would be much more flexible if there were two environments for the lawyer and the expert. There are a number of tasks that the forensic expert does not need to interface with but many of the tasks overlap with the legal side and it would be nice to have a way to eliminate the ones of no interest.

I also find the expert is often retained by a third-party and works for the lawyer, but invoices the third-party. The software data model does not appreciate this scenario. The work arounds are kludgy.

Casetext

Reasons for Switching to CaseFox

I choose CaseFox over the competition because of the integration with other office tools.

Response from CaseFox

Thank you Daniel for this helpful review, we appreciate the fact that you spared your time out to review us with such details. We would surely work on the same as mentioned by you.

Jonathan B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Amazing, cost-effective case management and billing software

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

We have tried out literally 4-5 different practice management software solutions over the years, and we have finally found one that is simple, straightforward, and cost-effective. We love it.

Pros

User-friendly, intuitive, easy to fix mistakes...and, of course, the price.

Cons

Occasional bugs and glitches, which aren't a big deal because I've always been able to find a work-around.

Amicus Attorney, MyCase and Clio

Cost

Smokeball

Reasons for Switching to CaseFox

Easier and more intuitive product at a much better price.
Christie R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great product for an even better price

Reviewed on 2021/02/05

CaseFox has made the management of my law practice seamless and easy.

Pros

I previewed / used the free trial of several different billing and case management software systems in the market. At a former firm I’ve personally used a leading industry software and CaseFox by far is a superior product to everything I have used. It is incredibly simple to set up, and integrates seamlessly with my google suite and lawpay. I personally use google drive for my document management (but they also integrate with DropBox and other clouds) and with CaseFox it connects my employees to the drive through the software so we’re all working on the same document and there’s no overlap. The billing is incredibly easy and again is connected to my LawPay account so I don’t have to go to multiple places when billing or confirming payments. There is a client portal that I don’t use as much as I would like but the clients who do use it say that it is simple to log in and use. I appreciate the ability to purchase stand alone services (such as more users, more storage etc.) instead of being forced to pay for services I don’t use. Customer service has always responded timely. The price of this software is where CF really stands apart- I was worried when I originally signed up that I would be receiving a substandard product. I had resigned myself because I wasn’t willing to commit to high fees every month with other products. I was surprised and happy to discover that CF is just as good and better in some aspects than other products I’ve used, for half the price.

Cons

The only issue I come across occasionally is ease of use. There are a lot of functions in CaseFox and the normal billing and setting up a file is easy. Linking my google drive and/ or bank accounts hasn’t been as easy and requires a deeper dive into the software. Setting up these functions weren’t as user friendly but customer service was helpful and my younger employee got it worked out.

TimeCamp and MyCase

Reasons for Switching to CaseFox

Price, functionality and number of users

Response from CaseFox

We are pleased to receive such valuable feedbacks from our clients. Thank you so much, Ryan for taking out some time and write this important and useful review which can benefit everyone! Well, we'll work on the loopholes you pointed out for a better user experience

Yvonne W.

Great Time Tracking for Small Legal Firms

Reviewed on 2021/12/16

Affordable and easy to use especially for small firms.

Pros

This application is affordable, easy to use, and to implement for a small firm that does not need expensive and time-consuming software.

Cons

The accounting features are not robust. I only use the billing and time-keeping functions.

Response from CaseFox

Thank you so much for reviewing us, Yvonne. It means a lot to us and is really crucial for our growth!

Cheers!

Troy W.

Great Alternative Software to Expensive Competitors

Reviewed on 2022/01/08

Would recommend, has most of the necessary tools to successfully run a law practice.

Pros

Pricing is much more reasonable compared to competitors. Support is always responsive and great.

Cons

The tasks features are lacking compared to other software.

Response from CaseFox

Thank you, Troy, for reviewing us here. It means a lot and we definitely would like to improve on the areas you suggested.

Happy Lawyering!
Team CaseFox

Suzanne H.

CaseFox is a Great Service

Reviewed on 2021/12/17

I recently had difficulty deleting files when that was necessary but received help promptly as always. Have been a satisfied customer for several years and grateful. I have received excellent service everytime that I have needed it. Each time they took my stress level down several notches by helping me deleting closed cases and getting my entries correct! I could not recommend them higher.

Pros

Professional service, professional-looking Invoices for clients, ease of use. There are many useful features built in.

Cons

Learning curve for me was a bit steep. But I don't use it often enough to know how to put all of the features into play.

Response from CaseFox

Thank you so much Suzanne for taking out your valuable time and reviewing us! Your reviews matter a lot to us and help us improve.

Dustin L.

Good Software for Solos

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

This keeps us much more organized, and being able to access it from pretty much any computer is great. I have not tried this with a phone. While customer support may be overseas, it has ALWAYS been prompt and gotten the issue resolved. They even upon request, at no charge, created an ability for me to get my time sheets auto-uploaded into a State appointed case log required to get paid, which saves us from manually typing entries.

Pros

Before using this software, we were manually typing billing entries and billing took two days on average. This software is not perfect and not for everyone, but we practice mostly family law and criminal defense and it has been excellent at the basics. I use the old format - I saw the new and instantly switched back, so I cannot write as to new features. I was given this product's name from another attorney - for the price point I think it is hard to beat. If you want an automator, etc. you may want to look elsewhere.

Cons

There seems to be some issues with Safari browser as to the timekeeper itself. I use mostly PCs, so this is rarely an issue, but it seemed to stop tracking if the computer would go to sleep (ex: while on a call).

Jill F.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Awesome software for home businesses

Reviewed on 2017/03/22

I have been using Casefox for approximately 3 years now. I have had no major issues with the software that wasn't fixable by Casefox immediately. The price is more than reasonable for all the flexibility you get in this software. It tracks everything. I also love the capabilities of making the invoices my own and tracking my own file numbers plus entering all trust funds right into Casefox. It helps me with my daily run of my business in the legal field and I highly recommend this software to any small business. The best part is going on vacation and having the ability to login from any wifi free establishment with ease. Thank you Casefox for making my business run smoothly. Your Customer Support is awesome and very kind. They have always been able to help me and it's not because your software has malfunctioned; if I have a question on how to do something within Casefox and do not understand the help tutorial; you are there to assist. I appreciate that!

Pros

The functionality of the software and I can access it anywhere at any time with a wifi connection. I am also able to format the things that I need; file numbers, backdating, and especially being able to track with my calendar is great.

Cons

I wish you could upload all of my emails and documents to casefox to keep all files together; I have to have a separate drive for that (Google Drive), it isn't making me leave the software but it would be helpful if your software could have downloadable capabilities of all file types; pdf especially. I would like to able to open the client's file and all the documentation that is associated with that client. I would also like the capability to streamline the Invoice fields to the names of what I know. For example Government #: we don't have a government number except for hst/gst and that has to be at the end of the invoice anyway. But I would love to change the field to Court Location.

Margaret S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Better than the rest, at a fraction of the cost!

Reviewed on 2021/05/28

Pros

Everything! Billing and Invoicing is a breeze. Software runs so many different types of reports and exports to Excel, love this! Oh, and they have two separate UI (user interfaces) - the classic and the modern. Their Modern interface is better than most of their competitors, too. I still love the classic though. I have done free trials (multiple times) of MyCase, Bill4Time, Practice Panther, Clio, you name it, but CaseFox is truly the best. You cannot get me to switch.

Cons

As with all the legal billing software out there, I wish CaseFox also had a full-charge accounting suite built in. Like a fully built in Quickbooks. While there is of course an integration for QB and Xero, I'd prefer one software/platform. Other than that, Keep up the great work :)

Response from CaseFox

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for considering us in the lot of many others out there. Your 5 star review really helps us grow. We really value your feedback!

• Industry: Law Practice

Way better than the ones I have used

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

Pros

I practice intellectual property and love all of the customization that Casefox provides. I have used leading industry products and used to get frustrated with how few features relate to IP. Casefox offers the ability to customize the invoices, billing codes, the case information and offers great bang for buck. Once I figured out how the invoices can be set up so that payments are reflected on my trust and operating account, bookkeeping got even better.

Cons

While Casefox does offer the option of selecting a more modern looking interface, the look of the default interface which seemed somewhat messy and old has grown on me over time.

PracticePanther Legal Software and MyCase

Lack of customization

Pricing and customization capabilities
Donn L.

Law Firm review

Reviewed on 2021/05/27

Pros

We like the ease of use for all employees, each having their own log-in access and ability to run personal reports. We also like that it is internet based with information being stored safely off-site. That also allows for use and access outside of the office, whether working at home or traveling.

Cons

The only issue we have encountered is the ability to set different types of billing for different clients. For example, some plaintiff clients may have deposited a retainer and we need to track that trust account balance and show those balances on invoices. Others are defense clients who are strictly billed by the hour. The Settings for invoicing appears to be an overall setting, and not able to be customized differently for individual clients.

Response from CaseFox

Dear Donn,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We'll definitely use your feedback to make some important changes!

Sonja A.

Irreplaceable Product!

Reviewed on 2021/06/09

I would not trade CaseFox for any other product. It has all the features that a small law practice such as mine need to be efficient and to maintain proper records on clients and trust funds.

Pros

I love the financing and case load tracking and recording aspect of this software the most. This enhances my efficiency in invoicing and gives a bird eye view of all that is happening in my practice from an accounting perspective. Client's details help also to allow for speed in contacting a client without the need to locate a physical case file.

Cons

Automatic case numbering. The software attaches a number automatically to each case/project created but oftentimes there is duplication in the numbering system. I have to manually check each number to avoid duplication and apply a new number manually.

Response from CaseFox

Hello Sonja,

Shared experiences like yours about CaseFox, really matter a lot. We hope to continue in helping you with your hectic billing and automated law practice!

Thank you!

Shakeel S.

product review

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

We are very happy with the product

Pros

We have used software far more expensive for case management, which did not have the ease of use and functionality of Casefox. The support is excellent when we have had a problem

Cons

The improvement I would like to see are more tutorials on youtube in regards to the advance features of the software

Eric (.

Good work

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

Timekeeping a breeze. Invoice prints should be a breeze but the formatting isn't customisable enough for me.

Pros

Free version just as capable as paid, so moving up to the paid version was an easy choice. Thanks guys. Easy decision over my competitors!

Cons

It's a little clunky, the UI/UX needs work, I don't understand the new interface at all so have stuck with classic, integration with Google Drive could be better so I don't use that aspect. More or less, this is used this for purely timekeeping but if the other features were more user-friendly, I'd tend to use them more.

Kurt P.

Happy Client

Reviewed on 2020/10/25

Excellent

Pros

It seems to do everything we need. Customer Support is top notch. Quick, reliable, and very responsive if an issue or question arrises. Casefox team is always improving the product.

Cons

I would like to be able to rearrange the user interface a bit. That might not be possible or it could be cost prohibitive. It works fine the way it is, but you asked.

Response from CaseFox

The team here at CaseFox is thrilled to hear such good feedback from clients like you. We are motivated to make our product better and more responsive day by day. Thankyou.

Tom D.

Excellent Customer Service

Reviewed on 2021/03/02

The customer service has been fantastic. Whenever I have a question and submit a ticket, I get a very fast response. They have created a couple unique reports for me that help me do my job more effectively. Cannot say anything negative about their support

Pros

I think it is quite intuitive in finding information. The reports that I use work well for my needs

Cons

No real issues. Cannot comment on anything negative. the new dashboard looks good, although I have used it on a very limited basis

Response from CaseFox

Thank you for your response, it means a lot. Happy lawyers are what we feel is important for a business to grow.

Racheal A.

Affordable and Easy to use

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

Professional, easy to use, easy to train, app on phone so I don’t miss billing

Pros

I Was very intimidated by all of the software out there and I needed some thing that was gonna be easy to use for all employees. There’s even an app on my phone that makes it even easier to use if I’m out and about or at the courthouse. Love this product

Cons

Billing took some practice and having to write off some amounts because clients don’t pay, appears as income

Peter V.

EASY AND EFFICIENT WAY TO KEEP TRACK OF ATTORNEY BILLING

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

Pros

CAN ACCESS FROM ANYWHERE-EASILY ABLE TO IMPORT DOCUMENTS TO THE INVOICE-EASY TO TRANSFER TO CLIENTS. GOOD VALUE FOR THE PRICE SUPPORT IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE

Cons

WOULD LIKE AN AUTOMATIC BACK UP TO THE CLOUD

Response from CaseFox

Thank you for your candid review. We really appreciate hearing both pros and cons and we consistently make improvements based on feedbacks we receive from our esteemed customers. BTW, if a dropbox or box account is linked to your CaseFox account, daily/monthly backups are automatically and transparently stored in your own cloud storage account.

Whitney W.

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

Pros

I use CaseFox every day. It has revolutionized the way I manage my practice's billing and accounting as well as utilized daily to remind me of tasks on my to-do list. Allows me to track time spent on a particular project with ease.

Cons

The only change I would request is that, when two people are sharing the costs of my work, I would like ot be able to re-allocate expenses to just one person at times.

Teresa C.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Increased accuracy of my billing tremendously

Reviewed on 2021/01/02

Pros

As a solo practitioner that only takes a few cases a year, the time tracking and billing features were very important to me. My past practice has been to simply write off any time that I did not record simultaneously because of concerns that any estimate or memory would be inaccurate. The app for CaseFox makes it very easy to record time using its timer and other uses. The invoices are accurate and come out looking very professional. It also tracks my trust account and reflects additions and withdrawals from the account for the clients.

Cons

The online training was weak, but the program is reasonably intuitive and has good examples.

Response from CaseFox

Hey Teresa, Thank you for your kind words
We'll really appreciate lawyers like you taking out their valuable time and write something good for us.
For improvements, we would work on the customer support and the online training which you suggested.
Once again, thank you

Brennan R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Works well and doesn't require a lot of attention

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

Pros

Allows submission of LEDES format invoices. Works well for recording time and generating invoices. Easy to add and remove users and have different rates for different clients and matters.

Cons

Wish the invoices could be customized. Sometimes the Word output invoices require some formatting work before finalized.