Twilio

Voice and messaging for your web and mobile applications

Renan S.

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

Reviewed on 2019/05/19

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications.
It is so flexible,
Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid.
The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things.
So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS).
The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage.
I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services.
And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed.
I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

Chirag S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reliable text notifications for customers

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Joel H.
  • Industry: Online Media

Outstanding Platform for Businesses Using WhatsApp

Reviewed on 2020/06/23

Overall it has been positive so far. We are launching our software globally now and so far they have been a solid partner in the countries we have been going to.

Pros

We used Twilio to be the backbone of custom cross-platform messaging software we built that connects people in different countries around the globe. We used it to send automated messages alerting the users that someone in their area wants to talk to them and then to continue to facilitate the conversations through our software and the WhatsApp API protecting the user's identities.

The API was very easy to use. The hardest and most challenging part was getting set up and approved by Facebook to get our WhatsApp numbers. The system tracks if messages were delivered which is great and we can see responses come back in as well, not the message content itself mind you, but that a response was sent. We also leverage their email platform which added another communication platform to our system.

All in all, we are excited about our partnership with Twilio and look forward to continuing to work with them.

Cons

The only challenging issues we had really involved WhatsApp and getting them to verify our Facebook Business listing, then approve us for a WhatsApp number and finally approve our message templates so we could use Twilio to send messages through their platform. I wouldn't say any of that was Twilio's fault and their staff was excellent at doing everything they could to help us.

The only thing I would like to see is a better more laid out navigation on their admin dashboards. You have to click into menus to get to a sub menu to then scroll around and try to find what you are looking for. It would be nice if they had a master link tree like Amazon does on their AWS dashboard.

Ian B.

So easy it almost seems too easy.

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

We use Twilio Programmable Voice for a number of different use-cases. It is used to create trackable phone numbers for ads, internal phone/sms systems for sales/support and also integrated directly with our marketing automation platform, Autopilot. All of this had a fairly steep learning curve for a non-developer, but taking the time to do the work through Twilio (rather than a 3rd party software built on top of Twilio) has saved us a large amount of money and preserved a great deal of operational flexibility by preventing unwanted layers in our broader communications stack.

Pros

Twilio programable voice lets you build localized internet phone systems using numbers from anywhere in the world. I don't know of another comparable solution that isn't just another interface built on-top of Twilio. More importantly, it lets you customize these phone systems in every way imaginable (from drag/drop coding in Studio to custom apps) in just a few clicks. In terms of cost and flexibility, it is the clear winner in this space.

Cons

The product is trying to become increasingly friendly to non-developers, but it is still really positioned as a developer-first platform. It is a true platform technology, which is the root of most of Twilio's benefits – but that does come at the cost of being intimidating/less user-friendly to non-developers.

Niru N.
  • Industry: Automotive

Service enhances functionality of host softwares

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

I have been very satisfied with my experience using twilio, stable software that enhances functionality to our software we created.

Pros

I love that twilio provides a texting feature which can be integrated with 3rd party software's to enhances there ability to better suit business needs. Twilio allows seamless integration which allows outgoing and incoming SMS messages to and from the client. Using the twilio portal we can check logs on which messages were sent and failed helping the host keep track on SMS activity of there software.

Cons

Setup and configuration is a bit of a tedious process however once completed, it works well. Sometimes servers go down for twilio which causes disruptions for our texting feature, however this can be expected for any software company that provides a large scale service.

Best app for calling, sending text

Reviewed on 2019/12/10

Overall a really great platform for building calling and texting with great api documentation and customer support. The merits of this platform are way huge then any defects

Pros

- great api documentation and that too in multiple languages which helps a lot while developing
- love the studio flow where we can design complicated flow very easily and use various integrations for each event
- we build a virtual calling software using twilio and till date it’s working very nicely
- can buy multiple numbers which help in setting the caller id or call masking

Cons

- Had some issue with the calls sometimes, mainly call drops and poor voice quality but not regularly
- Sometimes the sms delivery on indian numbers take a bit more time

Andrew R.

Great telephone / text software that can integrate into multiple sites easily.

Reviewed on 2018/06/25

Pros

Ability to acquire phone numbers quickly, set up with API access, and get up and running within a very short time frame. Pricing is very competitive in the market, and tracking is made easy within their platform.

Cons

Sending only one text per second on their base package is a bit limiting, but cost effective enough to make it worthwhile. They do allow businesses to be a "reseller" of their product, which allows companies to charge a client 4x what a twilio customer would pay.

Vijay K.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Such an amazing and flexible platform

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

It has been amazing journey to use Twilio very few minor hurdles.

Pros

Twilio has almost all offerings towards communication platform. You could build your automation without writing a single line of code. i.e. Using their Studio product. Also, you they have small modular functions that you can write to add any other needs that you might want. This is solid cloud offering with most use cases covered in communication. They also have integration with Whatsapp and they have roadmap to add Wechat integration.

Cons

There are very few cons with Twilio products. And they are very minor. For eg. They won't let you use pay through your companies standard pay process unless your volume exceeds certain threshold. Until then you will need to use your cards.

Carlos G.

In simple terms, the most complete option

Reviewed on 2019/09/01

Pros

I use Twilio in my online marketplace to notify users via SMS about actions that happen in the marketplace and when they have a sale or a customer sends an inquiry about one of their products. This makes my company and its services more professional and eases the life of the sellers. Before I forget, customers also get SMS notifications when they buy and receive an answer from sellers. Twilio is cheap and its documentation is extensive and to the detail. One of my best choices, Twilio.

Cons

International (i live in usa) sms can be cheaper.

My option to send SMS's in my application

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

My software to send SMS's along my app.

Pros

Twilio has good callback system and retries associated with it, it was really easy to integrate with our application. Additionally, we can know do it internationally and help us expand our business.

Cons

The administration page could be improved. And it seems that it is not easy to understand which countries currently twilio support and if it's supported income and outcome messages or not.

powerfull sms broadcasting

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

twilio is leading in sms, voice calls, and many more services, for example i really like sms broadcasting feature and the support docs are super clear and price is resoneble

Cons

I've been using Twilio for years and have yet to have an issue, just one that about masking SMS can not implement in INDONESIA,

Brad R.

Cutting Edge and AWESOME

Reviewed on 2017/08/28

Pros

The team at Twilio is putting together world class architecture on new innovative tools every day. We are leveraging it to strengthen our position in the healthcare world designing innovative apps.

Cons

Some of the documentation is lacking and the descriptions are somewhat nebulous. SMS messaging context seems to be more from their point of view, instead of the user or company using it, which makes diagnosing issues extremely confusing.

Twilio

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Pros

We were able to assign virtualized numbers to new accounts. This allowed new ways for our clients to communicate with their customers. Decent support though out

Cons

I found some of the set up difficult. I'm happy they have a decent support desk

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Use to send texts to on-site guests

Reviewed on 2018/10/15

Pros

Twilio is easy to implement and is used to send website login info to guests who are onsite.

Cons

The prices can at times be a con. Using long-codes and toll-free numbers are affordable. Unfortunately short codes are very pricy.

Great API design and docs, easy to get started

Reviewed on 2019/12/29

We've used Twilio to power several text messaging applications, some with pretty complex logic and routing.

Pros

If you're thinking about building applications that involve text messaging or voice, Twilio is exactly what you're looking for. Very straightforward API design, plenty of helpful documentation - we had a functioning Twilio app running in no time.

Cons

Pretty minor, but their dashboard UI layout likes to nest certain menus so you have to do a bit of digging sometimes to figure out where a particular setting or piece of information is.

Brian D.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Works well

Reviewed on 2020/08/24

This is developer software and you should have that expectation built in.

Pros

Twilio works well as long as the interegration is built well.

Cons

Another zero customer service product. No phone.

Enrique B.

Twilio is a complete communication platform. It's API is really powerful and easy to use.

Reviewed on 2018/03/27

Pros

Twilio is really easy to use, it has clients for most programming languages and great API documentation. Twilio dashboard lets you analyze calls, messages and its contents, so it's really easy to debug when something goes wrong.

Cons

When using Twilio clients, the API may change and break things when updating. Error messages when the software fails are not custom, so users may be confused when receiving an error call. Twilio is expensive, more so if you're making a lot of calls or sending messages.

Sunita K.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Twilio Communications Cloud - Real time communication API

Reviewed on 2018/11/23

For multi factor login security we used Twilio API. Its very easy to implement in project.
Preety much secure as this authenticates the service by accountSid, auothToken and from cell number.
Great API for real time message functionality.

Pros

I like most its real time SMS delivery. Twilio API provides the current status of sent messages.
By delivery status we monitored the critical message status to ensure that the responsible party received the SMS or yet not.

Cons

This supports 160 characters for a single SMS. Except that i did not find any issue in this API.

A unique product that provides an easy way to programmatically utilize SMS and Voice

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Pros

Twilio provides easy-to-use SDKs for it's product which makes creating SMS, "Answers" to calls, and other phone related tasks easy. Pricing makes this almost a no-brainer when deciding to use this product for your application.

Cons

At scale, Twilio could become expensive, but I'm sure you may be able to have some kind of enterprise plan when you reach that level. Other than that, the product is great. I hope this review "speaks for itself"

Stephan S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Super developer friendly SMS service.

Reviewed on 2017/02/06

The Twilio Service has such a large range of SMS and Messaging features, that it takes a bit to get 100% familiar with everything they can do. We have found the SMS feature integrates very quickly into your mobile app and the price point per SMS is great.

Pros

Super fast to integrate. Lots of code examples.

Cons

So many features makes the UI a little hard to navigate.

Samwel O.

Twilio Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/07

For a global application that require sms, call, verification features etc that values speed and assurance of delivery and has active income or is funded, I would definitely recommend Twilio.

Pros

● Efficient in terms of SMS, Call verification, 2FA etc.
● Twilio is Integrated to mobile subscribers all over the world.
● Integration is very easy from different platforms and using different programming languages.
● Proper and Efficient documentations including tutorials.
● Easy to use interface for web application.
● Provides analytics of usage both through web application and pricing through API.

Cons

● Twilio is quite expensive.
● Different account types create confusion at times ie trial etc. This leads to quite a number of API keys at times that have different permissions.

Ernie P.

Twilio has been awesome for my business

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

Pros

What I like most about Twilio is that it solves a very important problem in my business. It helps my alert my clients when they receive a new lead in their business. This has been a game changer.

Cons

What I like least is that it was slightly difficult to set up. Luckily there are some helpful videos online that make the process a lot easier.

Elliott L.

Super easy to use SMS API

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

I manage a website which allows users to enable SMS based secure login. We use Twilio as our SMS service. I haven't had experience with their other services.

Pros

Easy to use libraries are provided for most languages so that integration is super easy - sending a text is pretty much a 'one-liner' if you use this method.

Cons

Can become expensive if you don't remember to program in some limits.

Andre L.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Omni-Channel Experience for your customers

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Pros

This product allows customer engagement to be simple. Right now Customer Satisfaction, Customer loyalty and Customer NPS are all buzz words in the consumer industry and this product solves them all. Just starting out and have some sort of tech background, get started fast with really great guided "Getting Started Guides" on Twilio's website.

Cons

Though this might not be a con, I believe you really have to receive some sort of consultative conversation regarding your business needs from a Twilio reps to make the best purchasing decisions. There are a lot of different price points, the good thing is you may start off small then scale from there.

Sven E.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

The go-to text-message API for the web

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

I'm using Twilio to implement basic SMS-based notifications for web-app upkeep & maintenance purposes.

Pros

Once you've gotten used to Twilio's quirks and understood their pricing, it's an amazingly powerful tool for everything that can happen via a phone-line.
From text to calls to automation: Twilio provides functionality for every conceivable use-case and exposes these features through a standardised API that is well supported by their many libraries & sample code-snippets.

Cons

Getting started with their API is a bit cumbersome. Authentication, API-endpoints and Twilio's code-level conventions take a good while to get used to. This is perhaps to be expected by such a feature-rich product but I was nevertheless hoping for an easier start for something as simple as just sending text.
I'd also wish for Twilio to add some clarification to their pricing page in regards to international calls & pricing within the EU, as this was one of my sticking points when choosing Twilio for the job at hand.