Chargebee

Subscription Management & Recurring Billing Software

4/5

Chargebee

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

This is the first software that I have used and I found it very easy to learn. I spent a morning going thorugh and learning the ropes and was an expert by the afternoon! Their customer service is awesome and provides great help. However, because it is easy to use, I have not had to use their help more than once.

Pros

Chargebee is easy to use and quick to learn. You are able to access subscriptions with ease. Creating email templates to be sent out is easy. You can view all of your subscriptions on one page or you can add filters to find one specific subscription, too.

Cons

With the email templates, you have to make sure that the client you are sending an email to, has to be in a filter, otherwise, you send it to your entire client base.

László

Excellent subscription management platform

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

Overall a very capable subscription management tool with great integrations and great support them!

Pros

Excellent platform to manage your Saas Business. Great, very easy to use integrations with many vendors (Stripe, QuickBooks, Zapier, etc). Highly customizable settings for everything: email templates, the general look, and even the workflow & the custom fields.

Cons

Takes some time to get used to how to work together with your app and integrate everything to work flawlessly, but it worth it. I just wished that when the client has to select the quantity of their licenses, you could edit the label from Quantity to "users" or "licenses".

MemberMouse and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Chargebee

Integrations is a big plus!

To be avoided, it will cost you LT!

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

Chargebee started as a good product challenging Recurly but now it's really one of the worst decision we ever took

Cons

Their representative explicitly lied to to us to get us on a higher pricing in order to get his bonus and then you are stuck with another representation trying to get you to pay even to get his bonus aswell for the same feature that were promised earlier by someone else.

Their management really needs to train their staff better & decide on a pricing policy that aligns interest (fixed or variable -- you can have it both ways! )

First chance we get, we get away from this scamming company!

Recurly, Odoo, Zuora, Stripe, GoCardless and Zoho Invoice
David

Seamless subscriptions and recurring revenue

Reviewed on 2022/07/26

Pros

Chargebee allows our team to seamlessly manage subscriptions and recurring revenue. UI is simple and clear, with all the features required

Cons

We haven't had major issues with Chargebee in about two years of working with it

Stripe
Matt

Excellent product and service

Reviewed on 2022/08/30

It's been great to have more than an API as our billing provider. CB is a true partner.

Pros

Chargebee makes it painless to manage subscription billing on top of a payment processor or gateway, along with a modern interface from a team that "gets" SaaS. But the best part is their attention to you as a customer and their willingness to meet or exceed your expectations repeatedly. As a startup, this is invaluable.

Cons

As with any critical service, there are occasional data migrations or updates that must be navigated, but the CB team has always made this as easy as possible.

Code quality is terrible. UI is confusing. Full of bugs.

Reviewed on 2022/01/19

A total disaster. Spent over 2 months trying to get everything working, but I kept hitting bugs and problems.

Pros

The backend code looks nice, but the frontend is a disaster.

Cons

Obviously no one is testing or maintaining the code. It's half baked, buggy and the user interface is bad.

Recurly

Reasons for Choosing Chargebee

I don't like Wordpress or PHP and wanted something more modern. Unfortunately Chargebee's code is old and crusty and worse than Woocommerce.

WooCommerce

Reasons for Switching to Chargebee

I should have done more research. Chargebee is a 'unicorn' with 300 million dollars. I don't know what they spent the money on, but obviously not the code. It's all marketing and hype.
Daniel

Easy with many possibilities

Reviewed on 2022/06/03

Simple to set up and easy to use. Nice support for customers.

Simple to set up and easy to use. Nice support for customers.

Pros

The implementation into our product and Slack. Statistic overview. It is very easy to set up customer and provide them also with info/status mails too.

Cons

To be honest, chargebee gives me more that I expected :D. Billing and subscription service was that what we need. And of course, the different types of mails notifications.

Samir

Recurring subscriptions made easy

Reviewed on 2016/11/13

A fantastic tool which makes it really easy to handle all your subscriptions in one place....

Integrate it with the API and you can quickly start charging your customers on any period that you want. With smart and simple integrations to payment gateways you will see money on your account directly and you don't need to handle the credit card information.
New product and coupons is simply added and managed in the interface.
Looking forward to explore the tool even more.

Simple setup
Great support

Cons

Missing the possibility to be able to add multiple invoice rovs to an invoice.

Tina
  • Industry: Veterinary

Great for startups

Reviewed on 2022/04/19

Every interaction with them has been great. They are always friendly and helpful, responding in the appropriate amount of time based on the request.

Pros

It is really helpful to have a place to start with all the templates and architecture. I was able to configure everything myself with no need for a developer.

Cons

Although it is a good thing that you can't just go in and delete things, the "archive" function still shows the custom fields to choose from in the email templates. Later in time, someone else may not know not to use it.

Volker
  • Industry: Machinery

"Very convenient and flexible service"

Reviewed on 2022/01/02

Exchanges and membership the executives is really simple and coordinating the framework with our CRM was extremely speedy and powerful. The presentation of the organization expanded as it is truly simple to explore between our CRM and chargebee frameworks.

Pros

UI and straightforwardness. Everything is set consistently and regardless of whether you have a past encounter with Chargebee it's exceptionally simple to become acclimated to it. Effortlessness and a speedy expectation to absorb information make it an extraordinary apparatus for all exchange based cycles.

Cons

In some cases we get issues with webhooks and API's on our different member framework that is associated with Chargebee, however I'm certain it is handily fixed. We trust that these reconciliations issues will be settled.

Iván

Good only if you use the default set-up

Reviewed on 2021/03/17

In the beginning was very nice, but the more I use the product, the less I like it. We are considering moving to a different provider even if this will require to re-implement all our payment process.

Pros

At the beginning, when we started using this software, the setup was quite easy and just following their online documentation we could set up everything in our project.

Cons

Things started to go wrong when we try to use a more advanced implementation using their API. Integration with Hubspot was a mess, but we manage to fix that. On the other hand, 3DS implementation is very poorly documented if you don't use their in-house components. The support team is one of the worst I've encountered, they give you contradictory explanations, they don't even properly read the information you provide and it's very difficult to get the level 2 support.

Jake
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Powerful product, 1 stop shop for subscription management

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Pros

We rely on Chargebee for the recurring element of our business. It is incredibly flexible in the types of subscriptions you can create, and how you want to manage them. Every single element of every customer's subscription is customizable.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to review us.

We¿re constantly working hard towards improving our customer experience and reviews like these

We work hard to meet customers¿ expectations and we are happy to know that we hit the mark for you :)

Leon Muller

Great API Docs and Fantastic customer support

Reviewed on 2013/01/02

I first heard of Chargebee after doing some trial integration of both Chargify and Spreedly with our new SaaS app rocketmailmerge.com. A quick look over their API documentation and we were off to work integrating their system with our billing and customer management. Chargebee's API was very easy to integrate, it took only 1 day to get up and running on their sandbox due to their great example code.

As an Australian Startup it's very difficult to find a payment manager that can connect to a payment gateway to process USD. Fortunately Chargebee integrates with both Worldpay and eWay. We use Worldpay as our payment gateway so it was paramount that our payment manager supported them. Not only do they support them but about 25 other payment gateways should we ever need to change payment gateways.

Chargebee's fees are dirt cheap which makes it a great option for startups who are bootstrapping their building. Their pricing is very competitive and was the best I could find on the market.

The team at Chargebee are very helpful and always respond quickly to support emails. Any questions we've had have been answered in detail and the team is a pleasure to communicate with. I will be using and recommending the Chargebee billing platform for all my future projects.

Pierre
Pierre
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] helped me alot during the onboarding!

Reviewed on 2022/06/08

Pros

Great to integrate into any website builder

Cons

Difficult to configure but the onboarding process with the engineer fix this issue

Oumaima
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Simplified Subscription Management and Billing

Reviewed on 2023/07/08

Assess whether Chargebee offers the necessary features and functionalities to meet my specific subscription management and recurring billing requirements. Consider factors such as the ability to handle different pricing models, automate invoicing, and integrate with other systems.

Pros

Chargebee automates the billing process for recurring subscriptions, saving businesses time and effort. The platform generates invoices, handles payment collection, and manages subscription renewals seamlessly.

Cons

I have found that Chargebee has a learning curve, particularly for users who are not familiar with subscription management or billing platforms. It may take time to understand all the features and functionalities of the platform.

Stéphane
Stéphane

An essential tool to avoid a mess in your monthly and yearly subscriptions over time.

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

Pros

Robust platform from which you can build a large customer base with different types of subscriptions. High level of customization. The information is well structured. It does integrate well with Stripe.

Cons

The UI could be sexier and the learning curve is steep. Sometimes, it is not intuitive and rely a lot on our IT team to support us internally.

Rizwan

An excellent choice for big businesses

Reviewed on 2023/02/02

Pros

Simple integration and easy to use features make it excellent choice for any big business. It provides all necessary tools for an ecommerce business and very rigid on data security.

Cons

There are few plans but I must say it is very expensive to run for a small business.

Jon

Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros

Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons

n/a

Reza Khan

Wonderful API and Support

Reviewed on 2014/03/10

I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new...

I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new signal service.

From the very start , I found the ChargeBee API very easy to use , the web
site easy to navigate and the response from our specific help requests first
rate.

Our signal service went live a couple of months ago with zero problems from
the subscription side which worked with no problems.

I can 100% recommend ChargeBee to anyone who reads this and to anyone who
emails me personally

Simon
Simon

Disappointing & Frustrating

Reviewed on 2022/02/23

For the level of quality of their support and service their paid plans are overpriced.

Pros

Has a full range of features and settings for subscription management.

Cons

Buggy and poorly implemented features that will leave you frustrated. For example you can sync orders with ShipStation which has a setting to use order billing address when shipping address is not available which sounds good however their solution for this is to silently send the billing address to ShipStation if a shipping address is set but it has a validation error. So you can mysteriously end up with orders in ShipStation with the wrong shipping address. Desperate sales staff who over promise. Slow & inexperienced support staff, that have plenty of canned responses to buy themselves more time.

Musadiq
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used for Free Trial

Nice tool for managing subscription business

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

I fell in love with ChargeBee's interface and sleek outlook. They have rich features to offer, perfect for companies who look for a solid alternative to manage their subscription transactions.

Cons

Their pricing is something that may bring a challenge for small companies to adopt it. Otherwise, this is nice for large enterprises, even SAAS companies with solid revenue track.

Marcus
Marcus

Great system but requires a god amount of work to setup

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

Pros

The system is really good.
Can create multiple plans, adds on, good too to manage legacy customers and very intuitive to use after the initial setup .

Cons

requires a lot of tinge on the beginning to do all the setup. The person who is responsible for this need to be fully engaged in order to do the right settings.

Philip

Helpful tool to have

Reviewed on 2016/12/08

Fast update of clients who have paid for their software subscription. Ease of use and handy search function.

Shaun
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

A deeply regrettable & expensive experience

Reviewed on 2023/11/16

Our experience with Chargebee has been nothing short of a nightmare. The first implementation consultant we were assigned was utterly incompetent, providing no solutions and merely directing us to irrelevant API documentation. They showed no interest in understanding our use case or reviewing our documents and user flows.
During our weekly calls, I was left to fend for myself, presenting configurations that didn’t work and proposing solutions that were met with dismissive responses. It became painfully clear that this consultant, an external contractor, was more interested in passing the buck than in providing any real assistance.
Our pleas for help fell on deaf ears, with emails left unanswered for weeks on end. When we requested a new implementation consultant, we were unaware that this was merely a symptom of a larger problem: Chargebee’s complete disregard for their customers.
Our second consultant was a breath of fresh air, taking the time to understand our use case and helping us find a working solution. However, the migration package we purchased was a complete waste of money, offering little more than a suggestion to read the error messages and make the necessary changes.
Fast forward to today, and we are still grappling with an open ticket from [sensitive content hidden]. The configuration that Chargebee sold us has proven to be a complete disaster. Following an update in August, our instance has been plagued with errors, causing serious issues for our customers.
To add insult to injury, we were informed that the features of the solution we purchased nine months ago do not work together. This was news to us, as none of their documentation suggested this. Despite presenting examples of both successful and failed system operations, Chargebee has failed to provide a replicable explanation of our current configuration’s behavior.
The most alarming part of this ordeal is the frequency with which we have had to chase them for updates, only to be met with silence, followed by a call in which we are blamed for not testing the configuration properly.
Chargebee has refused to provide a written explanation of how the code should behave to this day. They have refused my ask to further go over our examples and truly understand our use case.
If you’re looking for a service that will lie to you, ignore you, and treat you like a fool, then look no further than Chargebee. Their approach to customer service and business conduct is nothing short of appalling.

Pros

It is quite intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

The team at Chargebee has proven to be nothing short of a disaster. They treat you with utter disregard, blatantly lying to you and leaving your emails unanswered for weeks on end. When you finally manage to get a response, they lure you into a call under the pretense of prioritizing your concerns, only to leave you in the lurch once again. This vicious cycle of neglect continues unabated, while you are left to deal with the fallout of their incompetence, losing customers in the process. Their behavior is not just unprofessional, it’s downright disgraceful.

Mark
Mark

Everything is in there

Reviewed on 2022/02/03

Good. We used to do manual invoices separate from credit card invoices. Having a single billing systems improves efficiency and we have a single source of the truth with respect ti critical business KPI's.

Pros

I like that we can also do quotes from the system that customers can accept and it takes them to the checkout. Huge time-save for our sales team.

Cons

It's hard to do price indexation to subscriptions. It generates credits and credit notes that our customers initially don't understand without us explaining it.

Maxio

Reasons for Choosing Chargebee

Recurly was more expensive and could not give us a good deal to their enterprise plan as an existing customer.

Recurly

Reasons for Switching to Chargebee

Chargebee was more simple which suited are business. Chargify was good too. Conceptually they can address complexer issues but it also makes it harder to implement. They could also not support future billing.

Response from Chargebee

Thanks so much for your positive feedback Mark. We really appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed review! Your feedback enables us here at Chargebee to further develop our products and services. In addition, your review will help our future customers to make more informed purchase decisions. Please do not hesitate to share any other feedback you have in the future. Thanks again for being an advocate for Chargebee.