Chargebee Reviews

Chargebee

Subscription billing & Recurring payments software

4.6/5 (28 reviews)
Brad H.

Chargebee saved us a TON of dev time.

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

Pros

I love that Chargebee allows young startups to get their feet under them before charging them. The integration into Braintree was SUPER easy and we haven't really had any problems with it since we started using it.

It allows us to manage subscriptions without building our own dev dashboard to do that and gives us much more flexibility than Braintree for doing so. We use coupons to run promos and Chargebee makes that super easy. We use their hosted page for payments inside of an iframe and that has been helpful as well.

Again the biggest thing as a young startup is not having to build all of that ourselves or asking the dev team to make changes every time we need to address an issue. Overall I've been very happy with Chargebee and we plan to continue to use them moving forward.

Cons

I'd love for the reporting dashboard to be a little more robust and user friendly. It's not bad but it could definitely be better.

Being able to accept multiple currencies could also be handled better, but we get by just fine with the way it's set up.

It makes you change your password every 90 days, which is annoying to me but I guess it's more secure...

Nuno L.

Our perfect subscription manager

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Pros

We rely on Chargebee to manage subscriptions to our product. It's easy to use and to be integrated, and offers many features such as invoicing, TAX calculator based on location, several plans, offline payments, etc. Customer Support is great and they always hear what you say.

Besides managing your subscriptions, it does something very important. By using their payment form on your website, you can easily integrate with several payment processors. This is especially important if you have payments that have been rejected by one processor and you can send them to another processor. It also reduces the dependency on one single processor.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is that the invoices it produces are not legal in some countries. For instance, in my country, invoicing software needs to be certified and to produce a SAF-T file with all invoices, that we need to submit to tax authorities. Since Chargebee doesn't do any of that, I need to have a separate invoicing platform.

Max S.

Basically, perfect in all aspects

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

We're ourselves are SaaS product, and use Chargebee as a backend for our payments and billing. We extensively use addons and various combinations of subscription plans.

I couldn't name another product that I would be that happy with as I am with Chargebee.

Pros

- Perfect UX/UI: all the filters, mass operations, detailed settings are available just as I need them, never think a second where to find a function I need
- Great API & integration support
- Very powerful analytics (especially with RevenueStory)
- Awesome support
- A very, very carefully and thoughtfully planned interface with a deep understanding of the user.

Cons

I faced literally two issues through the course of 6 years using Chargebee in production.

Ryan H.

Grossly incompentant

Reviewed on 2019/07/21

If I could do things over again I would have selected a similar provider even if I was forced to pay several hundred dollars per month it would have obviously been worth it. Now I have to make the decision of whether I want to potentially lose over half my subscribers again like the last time I switched billing systems (to Chargebee) or accept that I'm locked in for life.

Pros

Easy to set up and has a good API. Support is good and fast response so long as the issues are simple and don't involve anything technical.

Cons

The backend system is grossly unoptimized to the point many of my customers cannot be billed anymore. I was not informed of these issues when signing up and was promised that the system would be able to handle my very specific usecase. It clearly can't despite me giving them actual numbers. I've already lost over $6000 in charges I can't add to my customers' invoices and a few thousand dollars in invoices that can't be generated. For the past two months I've been unable to add charges for any of my customers and keep getting the runaround by different support agents as to what the cause is. First I was told I was violating a 150 API calls per minute limit despite the fact that not a single call had gone through successfully in the entire time period they were citing but also I'm skeptical of because each API call I make to their service takes between 2 and 10 seconds to complete. Now I'm told I need to batch things weekly because adding charges to my customers is too taxing on their CPUs. Billing line items should scale linearly but it is clear from how quickly their API bogs down that it scales exponentially for them at best and likely even worse. I never had this problem with my previous provider and they aren't even a billing or invoicing company.

0.0/10
Alister R.

easy subscription management software

Reviewed on 2018/01/19

managing payments on saas product.

using for invoicing and planning

Pros

nice options available to flexible pricing options for SaaS.

complete suite to manage invoicing and recurring payment.

The test site for training prior to using is also very useful. We are able to use it really well due to this feature and we can train new employees on the product as well.

Cons

payment gateway integration can be a little more seamless they always encourage stripe, but a lot of spurious txns get generated on that platform.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Alister,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re happy that you find our product features useful.

Regarding your feedback on payment gateways, we are constantly working towards a more seamless integration.

Apart from Stripe we do integrate with several other payment gateways and Payment methods, please take a look at it and let us know if you are interested in any of these ( you can reach out to [email protected]) . We will definitely help you with the set-up process.

It's a useful application if you have the significant large volume of customers for Invoicing

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

Saving lots of time in Invoicing to the customer.

Pros

The application is Subscription enabled. So if the monthly billing amount is same then the subscription will create Invoices every month automatically without manual involvement.

Cons

Sometimes due to system error invoices get created and get paid, which is not in order. I cannot bill single customer from to supplier.

Response from Chargebee

Hi there,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re glad that you find our product useful.

Regarding invoicing due to system errors, I would like to understand more on this. Could you please send me your email address so we get in touch with you on this?

Peter S.

Reliable recurring billing platform

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Pros

Chargebee is a very effective platform for recurring billings. It allows you to create plans, addons, coupons, and invoice reliably time and again.

Cons

Complex billing situations, such as sending a customer a single invoice for several subscriptions, are a bit more complex and require a lot of meddling with the system.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Peter,

We do have a feature called Consolidated Invoicing that provides the functionality to consolidate and send out a single invoice for multiple subscriptions of a customer. We will send out a detailed email to you on this feature at the earliest.

Samir S.

Recurring subscriptions made easy

Reviewed on 2016/11/13

A fantastic tool which makes it really easy to handle all your subscriptions in one place.
Integrate it with the API and you can quickly start charging your customers on any period that you want. With smart and simple integrations to payment gateways you will see money on your account directly and you don't need to handle the credit card information.
New product and coupons is simply added and managed in the interface.
Looking forward to explore the tool even more.

Simple setup
Great support

Cons

Missing the possibility to be able to add multiple invoice rovs to an invoice.

Jake F.

Powerful product, 1 stop shop for subscription management

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Pros

We rely on Chargebee for the recurring element of our business. It is incredibly flexible in the types of subscriptions you can create, and how you want to manage them. Every single element of every customer's subscription is customizable.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to review us.

We¿re constantly working hard towards improving our customer experience and reviews like these

We work hard to meet customers¿ expectations and we are happy to know that we hit the mark for you :)

5.0/10

Billing Software For All

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

Chargebee enables is to efficiently bill clients and keep updated records of all customer billing information. The system also enables us to remind clients on outstanding payments. Its integration with our CRM enables us to help keep a centralized platform for custom relations.

Pros

The seamless integrations is enables as well as the automation that come with it.

Cons

The UI can be a bit dragging and makes it difficult for one to stick on the software.

Razvan G.

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Pros

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons

I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

Leon muller

Great API Docs and Fantastic customer support

Reviewed on 2013/01/02

I first heard of Chargebee after doing some trial integration of both Chargify and Spreedly with our new SaaS app rocketmailmerge.com. A quick look over their API documentation and we were off to work integrating their system with our billing and customer management. Chargebee's API was very easy to integrate, it took only 1 day to get up and running on their sandbox due to their great example code.

As an Australian Startup it's very difficult to find a payment manager that can connect to a payment gateway to process USD. Fortunately Chargebee integrates with both Worldpay and eWay. We use Worldpay as our payment gateway so it was paramount that our payment manager supported them. Not only do they support them but about 25 other payment gateways should we ever need to change payment gateways.

Chargebee's fees are dirt cheap which makes it a great option for startups who are bootstrapping their building. Their pricing is very competitive and was the best I could find on the market.

The team at Chargebee are very helpful and always respond quickly to support emails. Any questions we've had have been answered in detail and the team is a pleasure to communicate with. I will be using and recommending the Chargebee billing platform for all my future projects.

Sally M.

Wish it were a bit easier

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

Pros

I LOVE that you get to start for free while you're getting set up and building your business. That option is very valuable to me and the clients I work with. That is probably the #1 reason my clients have chosen the platform in the past.

Cons

There's so much to set up and sort out, and while it's nice that they reach out to hop on a call and give support (they reach out too much, actually), I'd rather have tutorials or even just a clearer sense of what to take care of first, what comes next, and on and on.
It also surprises me at times how seemingly simple things are not handled simply. For instance, you should be able to send invoices without a client's credit card, or set up multiple payment plans within the same product.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Sally,

Thank you for taking time out to review us :) I¿m happy that you find our test environment valuable and useful.

Regarding your feedback on set up, we will surely take this into consideration and work on a much more easier and quicker way to help set up the Chargebee account. Should you have any queries, please reach out to me or our support team and we will do our best to resolve them.

7.0/10
Todd, chair, bostonchi

Chargebee is great!

Reviewed on 2013/05/18

Our small local professional org / non-profit was looking for a newsletter / member management system that was supported and not going to break the bank. During our investigations of MailChimp, we learned about Chargebee. While a relatively new company, we were given confidence by MailChimp's endorsement. We went live a week ago with our new solutions and cannot be happier.

Pros

We've found Krish and his team to be super helpful. They were responsive and informative to our pre-sales questions and have been helpful setting us up with their system. Generally, the product is very easy to use. They are receptive to feedback.

Cons

Since Chargebee is a new company, there are a few rough spots, for example, when using their hosted payment pages, any payment errors are generic. Also, for someone not familiar with payments, some of the configuration took some work.

Response from Chargebee Inc.

Thank you Todd. A pleasure to work with you. Your inputs on your use cases certainly helped us & your review has been a great help to import your existing subscriptions. Looking forward to a long relationship. Thank you.

Vivek K.

Payments simplified

Reviewed on 2016/09/06

We have been using Chargebee for over 6 months now and the experience has been nothing but great. The setup and onboarding is amazingly simple. From a developer point of view, integration process has been clearly chalked out and documentation is crisp and to the point. The pricing plan itself is very encouraging. 50K dollars are processed without any cost.

Pros

- Pricing plan
- Integration and Documentation
- Ability to setup coupons
- Direct integration with affiliate systems

Cons

Setting up payments in multiple currency requires a bit of a workaround but again its sorted out.

Valentin M.

Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!

Reviewed on 2015/10/28

I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros

Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons

None! Never had an issue.

Patrick B.

Excellent product!

Reviewed on 2016/08/16

Chargebee is excellent for subscription businesses who need to manage their payments and invoices. I would strongly recommend trying it out. It's extremely easy to use. Should you run into any issues, their support team is amazing and very responsive.

Pros

Extremely easy to get set up and start taking payments.

Cons

A Xero integration would be useful, which they have built and are currently testing.

Jon C.

Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros

Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons

n/a

Musadiq M.

Nice tool for managing subscription business

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

I fell in love with ChargeBee's interface and sleek outlook. They have rich features to offer, perfect for companies who look for a solid alternative to manage their subscription transactions.

Cons

Their pricing is something that may bring a challenge for small companies to adopt it. Otherwise, this is nice for large enterprises, even SAAS companies with solid revenue track.

Reza khan

Wonderful API and Support

Reviewed on 2014/03/10

I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new signal service.

From the very start , I found the ChargeBee API very easy to use , the web
site easy to navigate and the response from our specific help requests first
rate.

Our signal service went live a couple of months ago with zero problems from
the subscription side which worked with no problems.

I can 100% recommend ChargeBee to anyone who reads this and to anyone who
emails me personally

Jacob P.

It's an Okay Product

Reviewed on 2018/08/16

Their customer support team was always slow on getting back to People and they never wanted to just provide you the answers you need, They always wanted to schedule a call back

Pros

That I could start subscriptions for my customers and also invoice them with their profile(accounts).

Cons

It stinks as I could not have a hosted payment portal for my customers to make payments and manage their accounts. Their software is heavily into coding and having the coding experience. It's definitely something not worth my money

3.0/10

Chargebee Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

We were looking at a few options for recurring billing and happy that we chose Chargebee. It does the work for us and we are focusing on more important tasks.

Pros

Great tool for automated recurring billing. My team was up to speed fast and didn't face any issues. Intuitive.

Cons

Not enough filters option to sort the base of users. Matters especially if you want to export lists.

Crystal

Stellar service saving time and money

Reviewed on 2014/03/13

I've had many 'long-term' customers, who are very satisfied with my Pilates services, but for whom the whole 'buying/tracking' packages of sessions has become too onerous. Chargebee has allowed me to provide my customers with the same stellar service, but at a reduced cost because I save bookkeeping time and money.

Good product, easy to setup

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/03/16

Pros

This product allows us to offload some of the product configuration and pricing build that we would have had to do and business users can now configure new product / feature combinations.

Cons

There are still features I wish existed such as more customization on how the pages look in the shopping cart experience.

Marcus R.

Great system but requires a god amount of work to setup

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

Pros

The system is really good.
Can create multiple plans, adds on, good too to manage legacy customers and very intuitive to use after the initial setup .

Cons

requires a lot of tinge on the beginning to do all the setup. The person who is responsible for this need to be fully engaged in order to do the right settings.