Quicken

Brings all your accounts together in one place

David
David

Quicken Home & Business 2022 Review

Reviewed on 2022/11/25

We use this software for the accounting of my wife's small business and financial reporting needs for select government programs. This is the best accounting software for a small business owner/sole proprietor in the market today. We have been using this program for nearly ten years.

Pros

I like the updated tax tables and current regulatory database for up-to-date tax prep tax schedules and deductions. It is easy to input transactions, categorize them, and get a running balance with ease.

Cons

My least favorite thing about this software is that it now requires a subscription instead of buying the program for a set price.

Patrick

Best Desktop Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2020/03/28

That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts.
The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Zoho Books, FreshBooks and Wave Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

The price, it's significantly less than most competitors.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

It's the old Quicken but better.
Tamara
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Its all about the profits now......

Reviewed on 2018/02/13

Although I am sounding as though I am resistant to forwarding technology, I am not. There are just certain things that I feel should be more protected and so far, technology has failed to prevent hackers and identity thieves from accessing peoples information due to companies insistence in having our information all over the internet and web. There was nothing wrong with the old QUICKEN but greed is no playing a part in the new QUICKEN that separated from INTUIT.

Pros

I loved it when it was an actual software that could be purchased and had no yearly subscription fee. Prior to them separating from Intuit, this was my software of choice. Ease of use and the ability to choose to have your information inaccessible to internet hackers and not out there for anyone to see.

Cons

2007 saw the end of exceptional quality. Went from a software that you can purchase and utilize without having to pay a yearly subscription to a for profit only software with yearly subscription in 2017-2018 update. Now if you want to use this software you have to pay for it yearly. 2007 utilized an update that caused major issues with previous versions. The font became too large to fit in the windows that popped up, the reconciliation failed to work properly, did not give accurate numbers.(Quicken blamed this on the PC Operating system....Funny, no other software on my PC had these issues). They refused to fix the issues they created and then came out with a new update that once you applied the update, 2017-2018, you had to start paying yearly or live with the issues that were created by the previous update. I now have fuzzy font, like old school DOS systems, and a yearly subscription for more bells and whistles that I will ever utilize. Not everyone wants to use mobile access and expose themselves to more and more risk of hackers to steal information.

Nelson

Web-based Quicken is my favorite feature for on the go

Reviewed on 2023/12/14

Pros

Web-based allows me to work off an iPad or iPhone instead of carrying my laptop around when I am on the road or abroad on vacation.

Cons

There is little that I dislike about it.

Robyn
  • Industry: Accounting

Quicken is a Great Program!

Reviewed on 2022/10/18

Placed it on 2 units at first to try it out in our office and loved it so much we decided to switch everyone to it instead. Been using it daily for almost 3 years now. It's an excellent program!

Pros

It's very easy to self learn this program. It is equally as easy to teach to others too because it's simple to understand

Cons

I have no complaints. It was easy to set up, it was easy to convert info from the prior program we were using. It was easy to learn and easy to teach to others. 10 out of 10 far as I'm concerned!

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Easier to learn according to reviews we read.
Dan
Dan
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Don't bother

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Pros

It is relatively cheap, if you can find it on sale, and has a few good features for property managers including the ability to automatically send invoices. You also get all the typical features of Quicken, like the ability to track your personal finances, connect all your banks and investment accounts, download statements, etc. I've been using Quicken for years and years and it's definitely the most important program I own and need and I hate pretty much everything about it.

Cons

Quicken, by now, is the most bloated piece of software in the history of the world. There are dialogs and sections of this app that were likely last touched when Reagan was present. It's a crazy amalgamation of features added over time. When using the app, doing even the most basic tasks kicks off a round of screen refreshes, flashes and such. No clue why it does that, but the whole thing desperately needs an overhaul.

John

Quicken - the best program for tracking expenses

Reviewed on 2023/06/23

Quicken is quirky, often frustrating, but there is nothing else I know of that can track finances comprehensively.

Pros

It allows tracking of bank accounts, credit cards, and investments. No other program that I know of can do everything Quicken can.

Cons

Quicken can be frustrating. It doesn't allow pasting into Register fields and it does not conform to many Windows conventions.

Nina
Nina

Quicken Rental Property Manager works some of the time

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

I've been using this program for over 10 years and while it it not perfect it is better than nothing. I would like the rental part to be easier and more reliable to use. I like that you can integrate Zillow estimates and values to properties.

Pros

I liked that it integrates all my accounts and I can track rentals, home and business at the same time. Reports are fairly accurate and are very useful for accounting and tracking purposes.

Cons

Has bugs that I cannot figure out. Sometimes the transfers don't ever show up and the accounts get messed up. Hard to track rents in the format that is available. I can't figure out how to enter and keep all reconciled the way they want you to do it.

Phil

Such a great software, I now teach it to my students.

Reviewed on 2022/09/04

I used this software for many years, and it became such a staple in my life that I decided to introduce it into the Computer Skills class I thought young teenagers. I think Quicken is an invaluable tool that will help kids get a great jumpstart in life, and make their money work for them.

Pros

I've been using Quicken for nearly 20 years now, and having so much history within the software allows me great forecasting and predictive knowledge.

Cons

Updates are always terrifying.....especially when I've got 20 years or transactions in there. Back up early and often.

Mahlon
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

This is a great software for basic accounting

Reviewed on 2023/10/18

We use this for accounting for our small private school. It works well but in this situation since we don't make invoices and need the features that Quickbooks offers.

Pros

It is a very basic easy to use software.

Cons

It works great for basic use but lacks many features of Quickbooks if you need them

Craig

User since the 1990's

Reviewed on 2023/06/06

Since late 2022 it has been horrible.

Since late 2022 it has been horrible.

Pros

I have always liked how easy it was to learn and use Quicken. Getting started is easy.

Cons

In the last year Quicken changed their product so it only works on one computer. I have used Quicken for over a decade with OneDrive as the main storage for the database and more recently my own personal server. This made using Quicken essential for travel between my office, my home and on my laptop during travel outside the country or on family vacation.Quicken no longer allows this type of functionality and only allows you to store the main database on a local 'C' drive. Yes, you can copy and paste the database onto another computer (if you remember to do so before leaving), but then you need to re-sign into all your financial institutions. Unfortunately, the product is no longer business friendly and has rolled back to twentieth century technology when people only had one computer to use.Why programmers made this horrible decision is beyond me since almost everything has moved to cloud based programming or allows you to store and use a database from an online storage platform.

Phil

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Daan

Amazing -cheap- accounting software

Reviewed on 2022/06/02

Great experience.

Great experience.

Pros

The software has a solid UI so it is easy to see where your money goes. Easy to use and practical. Great for small to medium businesses because it is not very expensive and has many features.

Cons

The interface can look a bit outdated to some, but al the information you need is there. In 1 place. Very convenient.

e-Boekhouden.nl and Striven

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

Quicken is more known in our area.

Striven

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Quicken is more known in our area.
Linda

Have used for many years and with every upgrade keeps getting more bugs

Reviewed on 2017/05/02

Works well for personal finances - checking, savings, credit cards

Works well for personal finances - checking, savings, credit cards

Pros

Easy to learn, set up account. Can also use the software for my other businesses and personal stuff. Lots of ways to run reports that are useful. Nice to be able to download transactions from my bank and credit card accounts.

Cons

End of year tax schedules have bugs, Income reminders for rent payments do not show up correctly, Support is through a forum and they mainly tell you to run a file validation and that's it, Option to "Link a bill reminder to an online account" has never worked, New Zillow feature to asses value of property does not work. The only way I got good support was to pay another dollar for premium support and spent hours on the phone with a tech as he had me restore old backups trying to find a file that didn't cause the error... We never did find one that didn't cause the error. I am limping along with how it is working and currently looking for other software for my rental properties.

Roger
  • Industry: Management Consulting

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

Cheryl

Great Personal Bookkeeping Software

Reviewed on 2021/04/25

I really love using Quicken. I would definitely recommend it for use for personal bookkeeping.

Pros

Quicken is very, very easy to use. It is great for bookkeeping for personal accounts. The basic Quicken does not track debt and investments, so if you want to do that you have to upgrade to the more expensive one.

Cons

This software cannot really be used for business use. Also, I used to be able to buy the CD and install it on my computer and use it for 3 or 4 years. Now you have to pay a yearly fee to use the software. Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

John

Data loss after update

Reviewed on 2023/04/11

Up until my purchase last year, Quicken served me well.

Up until my purchase last year, Quicken served me well.

Pros

I have used Quicken for 20+ years for personal and business needs. After my 2006 Mac crashed, I bought a new 2022 MacBook Pro and installed the latest version of Quicken. I spent considerable time setting up accounts, bank imports and entering data for the year 2021, and for one reason or another did not enter any new data after tax day 2022. On opening the program today, I installed the most recent update, as one would usually do, after which, I discovered that all my newly entered financial data on this brand new laptop and newly installed program no longer existed. I praise the technical support team for at least attempting, but failing, to help me.The checkbook feature of Quicken for Mac 2007 that this awful program replaced was bullet proof and never failed me in the many years I had used it until the computer itself died. I do not trust that this couldn't happen again, so I am going to switch to a simpler checkbook accounting system that does not nickle and dime you with "membership" fees. Be warned that running their update could cost you.

Cons

That I lost precious data that technical support was unable to retrieve.

Joseph

Good bang for the buck for basic accounting

Reviewed on 2018/01/14

Smaller businesses with less than 30 rentals, should be able to use this software and compensate for te deficiencies with desktop software like excel. This would be a very cost effective way of having computerized check register and reporting while minimizing software costs.

Pros

Integration with almost every bank to download transactions automatically makes me confident that we will not miss any transaction and keeps me updated on our balances on a daily basis.
Categories and Tags are very powerful and flexible tools that allow you to custom configure how you use the software and define your reporting requirements.

Cons

Other than a good transaction register (with categories & Tags) , the program lacks many needed features for managing a rental business. The rental aspect is almost non-existaent.

Darcy
  • Industry: Accounting

Quicken Customer Service and product ease of functionality drop since Intuit Split

Reviewed on 2017/12/13

After about two decades of relying on this software for myself and some clients, I am now reluctantly looking for a replacement program.

Pros

It's super easy to utilize if you have basic bookkeeping experience and you are not accounting for investments. Menu options are sensibly grouped. Back up and restore super easy if you want to move copies of file(s) to different computers.

Cons

Although this software has been very predictable and adequate for a long time, it has become less desirable since split from Intuit. Good luck getting thru to customer service, there have been so many complications to their change over that they are drowning in calls. Their operators are overwhelmed and seem to 'accidentally' hang up on a call all too frequently, after exhaustive hold times. I have been prompted repeatedly to change my passwords during the transition, and rather annoyingly, each time it is updated a different verification email is sent with a code that must be entered, that quickly expires. Don't get distracted, or you have to start all over! Just really inefficient, non-intuitive programming.

Barry
  • Industry: Ranching

Analyzing your investments

Reviewed on 2022/04/05

Great until Placeholder entries were added.

Great until Placeholder entries were added.

Pros

Great for managing bank accounts and credit card accounts.

Cons

There needs to be a way to stop Placeholder entries. I check my own investment accounts an like to make corrections. Placeholder entries make it very difficult to correct input errors.
If you input income for an investment account and use the reinvest action, the investment performance report can't be used. The amount is added and subtracted for the report.
To remove cash from an account, three or more actions (XOU, Withdraw and Withdrawx) can be used. Unfortunately, some reports only have one of these actions and that hasn't been used in the database.

Tim

Quicken 2018 release is the worst software ever!

Reviewed on 2017/12/31

Someone had best get control of the QA of the software. I would really hate to see this product die after all these years.

Pros

It used to be easy to use and very helpful. It can track your personal bills as well as track rental expenses.

Cons

Extremely buggy. Features that used to work are broken or just removed entirely. There used to be a cool interface showing what bills were coming up - that's been removed and replaced with a simple list. Linking to bill accounts just blows up the whole program and it crashes. Some of the totals don't appear to update when you make changes. All of this, and they've changed to a subscription model, so you can still pay full price, but just receive a year's worth of buggy mess.

Aaron
Aaron
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Unable to purchase in Canada - Postal Code issue

Reviewed on 2022/11/26

Pros

Customer service was prompt and really tried to help me with my purchasing issue.

Cons

It is impossible to purchase this product in Canada. I spent well over an hour (~50min with customer service - both through chat and a personal phone call) trying to purchase. Every solution lead me back to the issue that when I tried to submit my order, the purchasing page forced me to enter a zip code, with no option for a postal code. I created an account with my Canadian address, downloaded the software, cleared my cache and cookies, restarted my computer, worked with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from customer support to approach the purchasing page from various links and browsers, nothing would allow me to purchase the software. If Quicken can't get something as simple as postal code v/s zip code correct when a new customer is trying to purchase, how can I trust them with my banking information?

Quicken is great

Reviewed on 2021/03/10

It has been massively helpful with personal finance and keeping track of bank account balances.

Pros

I like Quicken for how it's fairly easy to set things up. I prefer manual sync since I prefer creating payees on my own, but it gives me a pretty good view of my expenses and the stocks I have.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the subscription pricing, but to their credit Quicken did credit me a discount when I asked them after initially purchasing the software without one. I do wish the budgeting was a bit better as it's not perfect, and sometimes I feel like the direct bank sync can be a bit wonky when it comes to sharing information.

Nancy
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Using Quicken for different scenarios

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

I use Quicken for two very different entities: 1) a small nonprofit support organization and 2) our former small business and our personal accounting needs. It works well for both these.

Pros

The ease in entering data, and the ability to produce reports that are useful. It is not necessary to use ALL the features offered by Quicken software. One can pick and choose what is useful for their needs.

Cons

I have not found flaws in this software. I have not yet found an easy way to convert reports into pdf format in order to provide to others who cannot access Quicken reports. I am certain there is a way to do this, I just have not taken the time to work through the process.

Ed

Best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses, but..

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

Quicken Rental Property Manager is, in my opinion, the best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses all in one spot and on your desktop versus having that information only on the internet.

Cons

Not the best solution or the easiest to use solution for tracking rental properties. Additionally, the new releases of the product often contain very little in improvements over the prior year. However, what I like least is that the software is often released when it still appears to be in beta testing. A lot of software bugs and often unusable until the software patches are released over a period of months.