MYOB Business

3,8 (92)
Online accounting & payroll for every business

Katrina R.
  • Industry: Accounting

Solid product for small business

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

Has been around for a long time. Tried and tested and is a great product. Starting to price a little higher but still competitive - especially if you have employees.

Pros

Easy to use and well laid out for the end user. Is great for small operations without complex needs.

Cons

Whilst bank rules are very handy - the auto reconciling of transactions can cause problems if rule set up incorrectly. Would be great if there was an option to make bulk transaction changes.

Joe B.

Manual System Converted into Digital

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

MYOB has changed the way we work, simplifies book keeping to take away so much pain

Pros

- Easy to signup and simple setup to get things started
- Pricing - Special offer for new start ups
- Invoice reminders
- Invoice templates look very professional
- Invoice shows when customer / vendor have viewed (SUPER HELPFUL)
- Intray for emailing receipts and tracking

Cons

- Not being able to invoice in multiple currencies, have to workarond this by invoicing in the charable foreign currency then after payment is recieved adjusting the template to the local amount that is received.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Business

Made the switch from doing everything the slow manual way! Can never turn back now

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Business

Price and special offer for new startups
Edward T.

MYOB Review

Reviewed on 2021/12/08

Pros

Ease of use. Pricing
Easy interface
Online storage

Cons

Limited reporting and search functions
Limited customs report

Lee P.

Reviewed on 2017/05/22

For a small firm with limited reporting requirements it is okay but for any jobs with Work Breakdown Structure requirements it comes up short and becomes a limiter for the company. I get very frustrated with the after sales support system. It is not customer focused and leaves you wondering why you pay for it.

Pros

Good basic internal controls so novice bookkeepers can run day to day.
Easy to install and set up.
Reasonably cheap for what you get.
Handles GST well.

Cons

Not the best for Job costings.
Payroll system ordinary serious reporting drawbacks as far as information flow to the General Ledger.
Tends to freeze in reporting production which can lock out users.
Support service is very poor, you get the feeling the staff could care less in resolving issues.
Interactive screen supports not used you have to send a file and wait for a response.
Wait time on the phone for support is very bad.

Lynley A.

MYOB Business review

Reviewed on 2021/11/10

Pros

Bank feeds, scan bills, look up and search functions. Also the general ledger allows headings and subheadings (Xero does not)

Cons

Could connect to more third-party software.

Matthew K.

Don't start your business accounting with a regrettable decision, look elsewhere!

Reviewed on 2020/05/18

Underwhelming to say the least. I was partially sold on the fact that they have a customer service number to assist if need be, don't be fooled by this either, the call centre workers are rather unfamiliar with the MYOB product (unless I was unfortunate enough to speak with their newest member each time) and all my queries had to be looked up each time and they read answers from a screen which I could find on-line myself , they weren't able to elaborate nor answer any further questions I had outside of what was written in front of them.

Pros

Reasonably easy to use but have found Xero to be much better in almost every way.

Cons

Limited features and limited expandability compared to Xero. No was to have a back up of accounting file on your computer. If or once you decide Essentials ins't for you, they do not offer a way to transfer to their own Account Rite product nor do they off to export data to Xero. They will give you 1 month access as a read only before all data is deleted off their server unless you pay $25 Per month for the remaining 5 years you're required to keep the data

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Business

The only reason I foolishly chose MYOB was because of their time and name in the industry and I knew someone else who used MYOB and found them ok at the time but who is also now in the same situation as me and wanting to change over to Xero.
Paul C.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Probably OK If you Are a Trained Accountant or Bookkeeper

Reviewed on 2019/09/29

We wasted a lot of time and resources using this software for our small business accounting needs. Whilst it did the job in the end we believe there are simpler options such as XERO for us non- accountants.

Pros

As a small business owner not trained in the art of accounting there wasn't a lot we found easy about using MYOB Essentials. The reporting process at the end is probably our highlight.

Cons

We found MYOB Essentials cumbersome to set up and use. The support team was basically of little help. Sending files to our Accountant at the end of the tax year was a pain. MYOB Essentials is better suited to those with a deeper knowledge of accounting than what we have in our business. That is why we switched to XERO which we find much easier and more efficient to use.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Business

We chose MYOB Essential based on their reputation as a simple inhouse accounting software solution.
Chris C.
  • Industry: Accounting

Not my first option but still a good system

Reviewed on 2021/10/16

Overall it is not my first preference and I prefer to use a competitor.

Pros

I stated my career using MYOB which was my favorite software. It couldn't be beat. But that was over a decade as ago. Since then other contenders have surpassed the software in both useability and practicality. MYOB is still good at the core, especially for accountants and people with an accounting background. However for business owners I think it could be a bit confusing and slightly intimidating.

Cons

One of my biggest pet peeves for MYOB is the rigid structure and inflexible ways to treat transactions. For example, if a bank transaction doesn't match to the cent, there is no quick way of recognizing the rounding error and processing the transaction. Instead a series of clicks into the transacting to edit the amount is required, disrupting your workflow.

Michael B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

MYOB keeps us on track and informed

Reviewed on 2021/05/26

Pros

Ese of use, accessibility, features are simple, seamless integration, reporting functions, governance

Cons

None, it is clear and easy to use daily.

Paul T.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

MYOB for Tradies

Reviewed on 2021/06/30

I had little to do with the software save reading my payslips and annual payment summary. These werre accurate and easy to read.

Pros

I received my payslips from the office and they were done on MYOB. They were easy to read and showed everything necessary

Cons

There was no app for my to use at the time to record timesheet activities. I had to make a google spreadsheet and email it. If I had an app then my pays would be uploaded and so less mistakes would have occurred.

Karen H.

Sold a dummy!

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

I have been a business user of MYOB for other companies using bigger MYOB packages for over a decade and find it fairly good although it has serious bugs which are reported by the truckload by all the accountants I know and they are NEVER fixed even after a decade. Like how the excel file download makes all the numbers text and the "manual calculation" field is auto set meaning you have to reformat each and every download twice (format numbers and turn on auto calc) to use the spreadsheet to add up.

Designed and run by non accountants

Pros

Nothing. completely useless. Doesn't comply with ATO requirements unless you have no employees and what business has no employees? Misleading advertising and advice.

Cons

I am a small business with single employee. Noting that one touch payroll was becoming mandatory next year I decided to put my accounts on a basic package to comply. I rang up and they sold me MYOB essentials telling me it would fully comply. After upteem dozen attempts to create a single employee which failed I ring up and they tell me well actually this entry level despite having all the menu structures and appearing online to do payroll does not do payroll at ALL and I need to pay almost double.

I found the set up very very nonintuitive in its coaching. You start one entry set up the field, then it takes you away to a whole different menu you need to complete and then doesn't take you back to where you were. There are heaps of bugs and going online you see everyone else having the same problem.

Adam K.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

not to bad...quit easy to use.

Reviewed on 2020/09/18

Customer service can be slow to respond. That said when you do get onto them they do know how to assist.

Pros

Simple and easy to use. A good range of add on products.

Cons

No real ability to grow with your business.
Its really only suitable SME

Rani R.
  • Industry: Automotive

Great software. Does everything we need it to do and more.

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Great accounting, and always updating with new features. Our accountant could just log in and do our end of years immediately.

Pros

-Highly customisable for invoicing and parts inventories.
-Has great reports. We found if you knew what you wanted to keep an eye on in the business, then you could design a report for it. Not all accounting programs or workshop software can do that so easily.
-once it was set up for our workshop, it worked amazingly. Very intuitive

Cons

-We were new to this software, and it took a long time to set it up, (6 mnths), specifically for how we needed it to work. (automotive workshop), You almost needed to be a trained accountant i felt.
-Support used to take at least 1 day if not 2 to get back to you.

Joanne R.

MYOB - easy to use, does what you need

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

Offers features that I need to do to manage the Company Financials. Support has been great and responsive.

Pros

MYOB is intuitive for the user to use, easy to use, simple to setup, has all the features you need to manage the Company finances. Also when regulation changes it quickly incorporates those changes and explains easily how to use the feature.

Cons

MYOB can get quite slow around EOFY - needs more grunt put in place around these times for cloud hosting. There is no live chat within the application for support.

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Business

Pricing and easier to use.
Daz

Okay but . . . . .

Reviewed on 2013/08/07

We have been using MYOB accounting plus for over 10 years and recently upgraded to the new Accountright 2013.
The new version is very similar to the old and this makes it relatively easy to adjust to. There was a bit of dancing converting 10 years of accounting data to the new format and eventually we got that done and away we went.
The first thing that struck us was how slow it seems in comparison to the previous software. (MYOB Accounting plus v14). Data entry is not fluid and constant delays in processing. We contacted MYOB support regarding this and "they are working on the problem" so it appears it is a common problem.
It is updated with the latest reports and payroll taxes and supposedly compliant with the ATO.
There is a greater range of reports available but still the customisation options are limited. What you see is what yo get, give or take a field or two.
The "cloud" idea is novel, but due to the speed restrictions it is of little real benefit.
Payroll is the biggest change complying with the new regulations, and taxes, but unfortunately MYOB doesn't allow upgrading of the tax tables without paying for an endless subscription which equates to approximately $800 per year.
Overall if you like the early MYOB and can handle the speed reduction then its an okay upgrade. If it wasn't for the reliance on MYOB data for the previous 10+ years and the swift talking sales rep that convinced management to upgrade, I would personally be looking at alternatives.

Pros

Compatible with earlier versions.
Interface is very similar to previous versions.

Cons

Expensive for what it is!
Slow!!!!! For small or casual use it MAY be okay, but for any real data volume, its just too slow. (Even on the latest PC)
Relies heavily on the internet (could be cause of part of the speed problem)
Limited customisation

Chris P.

good value in terms of the price

Reviewed on 2017/09/12

The software is good for a small entity but once you grow and need more detail it becomes a handbrake on information.

Pros

easy to use ,A very easy to use and follow accounting software, the flow of information is easy to follow

Cons

I have been using the MYOB Essentials purely for payroll of a bout 10 employees. I find the customer service frustrating as it seems impossible to actually speak to anyone.

Arslan R.
  • Industry: Banking

The Software helps me to evolve in my career my much .

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

The benefits are countless. I am really happy and exceptionally relaxed with using this software. By far, its the most reliable and efficient software that I have encountered.

Pros

The systematic features really helps to sort out the accounting issues. I am always leading the task upto the standards and mostly efficiently only using this specialized software.

Cons

The complications of finding a specific set of files is really hectic. I have to go through the whole bunch of files and reenters the balance whenever I have to made some ammendments.

Chris F.

This is great accounting Software thank you

Reviewed on 2017/02/09

I have been using this software for over 10 years it is a bit expensive but works well
Especially after it went to cloud based

Pros

And I like if anything goes missing my computer gets Stolen or burns or virus then I don't lose everything because it's on the clouds

Cons

The cons are that it is too expensive for what it is

Kate W.

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Being in the cloud makes access to this program easy. It is user friendly and easy to navigate. The cost did increase quite a bit over the 6 years I was using it but it is pretty relative to other accounting software available.

Pros

This program is in the cloud so it can be accessed from anywhere that has internet.

Cons

You couldn't do a recurring transaction.

Adam C.

Reviewed on 2017/08/16

This software is easy to use and organize. This software allows me to track and update information easily and in a timely manner

Pros

I like the dashboards that show the flow of information from beginning to end. Reconciling the bank is very easy to do as well as enter in new sales and purchases. It's also very easy to export data into excel if additional analysis is needed outside of MYOB.

Cons

Generating sales reports, P&Ls, and BS is a bit cumbersome. It would also be nice if it had a 'dashoboard' feature, like xero, that shows all the relevant information on one page. Having one spot to go to for most of the day's relevant information would be very helpful

Pam D.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Small business user

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Good program for small business and very easy to fix mistakes but no audit trail

Pros

Easy to use and can have detailed accounts set up,at 4 levels
Reports are set up so easy to use out of the box
Great program in box

Cons

From an audit perspective not great as you can renter things without an audit trail
No reporting flexibility

Nicole G.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

One of the top software for bookkeeping

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Pros

I enjoy using MYOB simply because it does everything you need for a small business - sometimes needs more explanation with accounting though for new people.

Cons

glitches with POS machines is really the only thing I ever came across with this program, so not alot from a small business perspective.

Marilyn K.

Processing

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

The background of MYOB needs to be updated to keep up with the updates

Pros

This software is easy to use . It has all the modules you need to run a small to medium business in todays environment.

Cons

Processing is slow and will freeze the screen Myob does not like large files which is a huge problem.

Mark S.

MYOB Review

Reviewed on 2020/08/26

Pros

I like that it has been around for many many years, and the functionality has NEVER changed or been improved

Cons

The lack of development and modernisation of the product

Michele H.

ease of use

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Makes my work life convenient

Pros

Helps a lot with accounting work for clients. Myob essential version allows me to log in and work on in where ever I’m located (as long as I have internet access)

Cons

Only worked when there is internet access available, not available offine.