Neon CRM

4,4 (479)
Nonprofit CRM Software with Fundraising & Membership Tools

Jeff S.

Z2 System's NeonCRM - "Yes, it's right for you and your organization."

Reviewed on 2014/01/13

Almost 4 years ago, when I considered which contact/donor relations management software platforms I was going to use for the ministry, here are a few of the things I was looking for: 1. Expandability (Will the system grow with us as we need it to without paying for what we don't need?) 2. e-Commerce - Are the e-commerce functions user friendly? Are they secure? Does it have integrated merchant service capabilities and can it seamlessly integrate with the database/account management capabilities? 3. Can I easily segregate, query, and manage contacts/donors? Can I track all of our touches with our contacts/donors and view them in one place/interface? 4. Do the front-end functionality components make it easy for our contacts/supporters/donors/etc. to communicate and do business with us? 5. Can we easily integrate our CRM communication/outreach/events/etc. into our existing website, social media, and vice versa? I was pumped when I got a "Yes" answer to all of the questions above from the team at Z2 Systems about the NeonCRM.
I have extensive experience with some of the larger CRM providers and their products. I can say that without a doubt, the NeonCRM system is as functional, robust, expandable, and overall as capable, right out of the box, as systems costing 10 to 20 times as much. Clients are not hit with additional charges for modules that should already be included in the overall package. With regards to customer service and the company's employees and management actually listening to the customer and making adjustments to the system in order to meet the needs of the customer, Z2 Systems blows everyone else away. Coupled with its available seamless and cost-effective merchant services account integration partners, NeonCRM is a great option for any size organization and budget.

Lauren S.

Great Donor Management Software

Reviewed on 2021/02/22

Overall we are very happy to NeonCRM. My one and only concern is the customer support and account management seems to be lacking a bit. I get emails often regarding "changes" to our account that in face do not affect us because we are currently on a contract with NEON. With staff overturn you never know who your account manager is (I have worked with 5 account managers in a matter of 2 years. The software is great and we will continue to use it as we find that it is very helpful for what we are doing.

Pros

Coming from Blackbuad and Raiser's Edge, it was really important to find a software that was user friendly and easy to learn. NeonCRM is that software. You don't need a ton of training to navigate around the system and find what you are looking for.

Cons

Our hope was this software would be able to take the place of many of our others and put things in one place. Although it was able to do that for a majority we still hope to see an auction component to NeonCRM. This was one of the items that was discussed when we were looking at software and our rep mentioned Neon was working at an integration for this in the future and still waiting for it.

Salsa CRM

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

Because of how difficult Raiser's Edge is to use.

Pricing and Payment Portal

Response from Neon One

Hi Lauren! Thank you for your open and honest feedback. Regarding the auction component, we do have a certified integration with ClickBid. You can learn more about that integration here: https://neonone.com/partners/clickbid/.

Holly B.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Good program, but reporting is less intuitive than I'd like.

Reviewed on 2015/05/01

Pros

The software has a lot of really useful features, like email blasts and the reports are really customizable.

Cons

The software isn't terribly intuitive, especially with reporting, and the training videos on YouTube are hours long. I also could not find the answers I needed in the help section when trying to customize reports. I learned more from the user forums than the actual help feature of the software.

Response from NeonCRM

Thanks so much for your review of NeonCRM, Holly! We are absolutely thrilled to be part of Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary's mission in helping animals be rescued, rehabilitated, and/or adopted. We did want to take this opportunity to respond to your review personally and alongside Leigh's which is featured immediately below. :)

In the age of simple apps on our phones and an increasing awareness of user-friendliness with complex technology, we are 1000% committed to making the user experience of NeonCRM as simple as possible for users of all strengths and experiences. As an "expert-user" database that does so many complicated things, we are constantly challenged with keeping things simple while also continuing to provide the deepest, most extensive CRM built specifically for nonprofits. We now have a dedicated, in-house team focused purely on this challenge and you will continue to see NeonCRM evolve with new feature releases and enhancements every month! We welcome your continued input within our community forum as we consider new and great feature suggestions to implement.

We also appreciate your comments on the training videos as well. You and other clients were right: they were too long. And, in our continued efforts to improve every client's implementation of NeonCRM, we have just revamped our training curriculum and have updated all of our training videos on our YouTube channel. We have trimmed a lot, provided time-marking slides, provided agendas with companion guides, and more. The main difference is our trainings have taken a new, "task-based" approach now which we hope you will find useful, including with respect to your comments concerning Neon's deep reporting functionality. Please visit these training resources directly within your Neon system or here: https://z2.zendesk.com/entries/21682010-Training-Videos

Lastly, we are overjoyed that you were able to find our community forums so useful! We truly love our Neon expert clients who take time to participate and share their wealth of knowledge in the forums. Sometimes it is more useful to get advice from peer-level organizations who might be using a particular facet of Neon the same way as your organization.

We encourage you to continue using a combination of our training resources, guides, and community forums to make Neon work best in helping Happy Trails keep the animals neighing, mooing, clucking, gobbling, baaa'ing, maa'ing, and squealing in joy.

Our staff is full of animal lovers and we have many-a-pets that have been rescued from shelters by our staff, along with NeonCRM serving many similar shelters and organizations that help all of our furry creatures in need. Thanks again!

-Your NeonCRM Team

Amanda B.

Learning curve - but worth it!

Reviewed on 2022/04/28

Our overall experience with Neon CRM has been positive. I am excited to use the software creatively to diversify our revenue, and grow our social impact. Neon CRM was the exact "next step" we needed.

Pros

I love the diverse capabilities of the NeonCRM software. We have been able to apply it in multiple areas to grow our small non-profit.

Cons

The least favorite part of NeonCRM has been the learning curve and ease of use for a few of our employees. Most of our team is 20-40 years old, and are used to different work flows on other applications. Biggest areas of work flow issues are in the email feature and website form set up.

Kindful and DonorPerfect

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

I was happy with the level of customer support and counsel we received in our research process. I felt like no question was unanswered from the Neon One team. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] did an incredible job sharing what the product did and how it could be used for a non-profit our size.

Response from Neon One

Thank you for the feedback, Amanda! We're glad to hear that Neon CRM's wide feature set have been working well for your org.

We're really proud to be able to offer a lot of features in one software platform, but a big focus for our upcoming development projects is making Neon CRM easier to learn and use, especially for non-admin users who need clear learning paths and workflows.

Erin H.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Quite happy with Neon

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

I've had good support if and when I've needed it. The set up person was great.

Like any platform, you learn it and get used to it and it's very helpful.

Pros

This software manages my contacts and communication just as I would expect it to. It's customizable for our needs, as well.

Cons

There are two frustrating things. First, when I want to send a mass email, I've been told that images (flyers) don't send well and it's true. That is virtually the only thing we send out so that does not make me happy. In other words, we had to keep our Constant Contact account.

Secondly, searching by city should be MUCH easier. I've been taught two ways to do it but it entails way too many steps.

Salesforce Service Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

It is focused on non-profits and that's what we are.

Response from Neon One

Erin, we hear you! We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our webinar: https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Greg R.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

It's OK - needs to be modernized

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

Pros

Neon has some powerful, fast database capabilities. We find it quick to respond when looking for records, generating reports, or soring data. It's also very capable at handling duplicate records and the searching is very good.

It's also stable - seems to be built on a solid foundation and performs well.

Cons

Much of Neon seems to be cobbled together from older generations of development. There is a lack of consistency in the admin interfaces, and I find myself lost trying to do the simplest thing (like updating a system email) ... and I took a year of computer science as an undergrad. The emails are not responsive for mobile, and the custom web pages are nearly impossible to present to our members because they simply don't match our brand at all. The event lack any sort of presentation in a calendar view.

Neon updates their platform each month, however, IMHO, they're focussing on the wrong thing. I would expect the development team there to streamline the admin interface, make the basic tools like emails, events, and member sign up pages more modern and mobile-ready. I find myself wanting to head over to a WordPress solution to consolidate everything, but we've invested time and money into this already so we're going to ride it out for a while.

If you go with Neon, I suggest you budget time (and money) for tech support and have someone on staff or on call who can wrangle the harder parts of the admin interface for you.

MemberClicks and MemberPress

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

Price and capacity of membership data management.
Patrick B.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Good system for the money that practices continuous improvement

Reviewed on 2021/08/12

Overall, it is a robust system. The help center is very functional. For a new non-profit I would recommend it. For a larger staff, I would be hesitant.

Pros

I have used and recommended NEON for a few years. For the money it is a robust system. The event management is one of the easiest to use and you can set up multiple programs levels easily.

Cons

The reporting is difficult, except for getting event registrations out. To create a custom report is extremely frustrating.

Bloomerang and Blackbaud eTapestry

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

The expense in comparison and the event management features
Liz C.

Neon is a very comprehensive tool with a steep learning curve

Reviewed on 2022/04/27

I'm a fan. The payment tiers should be gentler, especially for really small nonprofits as they get their donation program off the ground. Have the $50 tier available up to a greater number of accounts.

Pros

This software is very comprehensive, offering all the tools you could need as a nonprofit doing fundraising. It can be difficult for those with low tech literacy to navigate the number of options but if you have someone administering who is tech savvy or who has the self-teach attitude to learn through tutorials and customer service then you'll have great success. The automatic thank-you and account registration emails are really really handy. It is an excellent payment processor and having all donations in one place is great.

Cons

The emails feature is not near the quality of MailChimp or Action Network so we do all our newsletter emails and targeted emails off this platform.

Response from Neon One

Thank you for the feedback, Liz!

A big focus for our upcoming product updates is making the CRM easier to learn and use, especially for users who may not have worked in a CRM software before and who are occasional users rather than administrators.

We're also planning a series of additional updates and improvements for the Campaign Email builder for summer 2022, so hopefully we'll get closer to the features you expect to see. We'll continue to offer and improve our integrations with Mailchimp and Constant Contact, however, for nonprofits that need more of an enterprise email solution.

Regina M.

Product of Choice

Reviewed on 2022/05/10

Awesome experience from the website info, the initial demo, to the actual implementation support. Your teams are extremely responsive and flexible. They allow me to be in the driver seat vs. imposing their approach, meaning they allow me to implement in the priority critical to my organization. They listen to my questions and respond. Love it!

Pros

The ease of use; the support; the features; the flexibility; the growth potential it offers.

Cons

Too early to state; still new to the software. I did notice a few things I would recommend, e.g., the carry over of certain data to the children when entered on the parent level to avoid duplicate entry.

Anna C.

Neon CRM is Great

Reviewed on 2022/05/02

Pros

It's really easy to use if you invest time into learning the platform.

Cons

I don't like that we had to pay extra for support.

Bridgit G.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for a variety of data

Reviewed on 2021/04/27

Overall, this is a pretty robust software considering the price. I would recommend it to Non-profits on a tight budget just be prepared for some getting acquainted time.

Pros

All our data can be stored and pulled from one place.

Event's are seamlessly connected to our website and make for an easy registration process.

I like the idea of batch uploading because data entry can be time consuming but this hasn't been as successful as I'd hope yet. Still need to learn more.

Cons

It isn't as user friendly as some of the other softwares. We have to adapt it internally to meet our needs. I was not at the company when we purchased this software so not sure of the onboarding process. It has been hard to bring new employees on to learn the system.

Salesforce Service Cloud

Response from Neon One

Hi Bridgit! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Neon CRM. Training new team members to learn a CRM system can be difficult. That's why we've put together videos, guides, and a full Academy course, to take that training work off of your hands. You can access those materials here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/. If you ever need some extra help, feel free to reach out to our support team. Thank you for being a Neon CRM client!

Cindy I.

Neon CRM: Robust and easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Since we've been using Neon CRM, our overall fundraising has increased dramatically. At the end of the day, that is the name of the game for nonprofits, so it's really important. And, being able to see at a glance how we're doing in new donors, reactivated donors, etc. from the dashboards is very helpful.

Pros

Neon CRM replaced ETapestry for Lung Cancer Foundation of America. The ease of use in all aspects - donation tracking, fundraising campaign setup and monitoring, reporting, etc. are so much appreciated after working for so long without that ease. So, this makes our everyday tasks go much faster and we've been able to utilize the peer to peer and campaign features to be able to bring on new donors and track specific donation campaigns very easily. But, probably the very best feature is the training. Whenever we come up with some wacky question on "how can we do..." we set up a training session and they've always got a path to help us do whatever new thing we're trying.

Cons

I would like to have all database fields available no matter which type of report I'm trying to pull. Not sure if that is feasible or even advisable, but, sometimes I need info from a field that is available on a different report, but not on the type of report I need at that time.

Response from Neon One

Thank you for the review, Cindy! It is always our topmost priority for our products to increase overall fundraising for our clients, so we are beyond thrilled to hear you were able to do just that! We will also bring your feedback regarding database fields back to our support and product teams. Thank you!

Karen P.

Great System to Grow With

Reviewed on 2017/11/13

I have actually used Neon CRM in two very different nonprofits. One was previously using eTapestry and we switched because of the greater flexibility offered by Neon. That organization received much of its funding from individuals and was focused on one main program. The second was a transportation think tank that had no previous CRM system and received much of its funding through memberships. In both cases, I have found the system to work well and meet the needs of two very different organizations.

Pros

The interface is easy to use, very similar to comparable CRM systems in terms of flexibility and customization, but built for fundraising. The customization, in particular, is easy to understand and flexible enough to work for a variety of applications in a variety of nonprofits. I like the automation features as well, such as with donation appreciation and membership renewal reminders.

Cons

The single log on functionality and link with Wordpress needs to be further developed, I think. Sometimes the integrations with other systems, like MailChimp, are not as robust as I would like.

Response from Neon Team

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your review. We always love hearing how NeonCRM's versatility can help vastly different nonprofits!

We are also glad to hear you are using the Wordpress single sign on plugin. We appreciate your feedback. We will be making improvements and enhancements to it regularly.

Over the next year you can expect deeper enhancements to our existing integrations and many more great new integration offerings to come. For example, last month we announced we are officially part of Zapier’s beta testing program. Zapier is essentially a system that connects systems, so this really opens up opportunities to connect Neon with many other platforms. Our blog post about it is below:

Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions about it!

-Your Neon Team

T. kebo D.
  • Industry: Fine Art

NeonCRM is just what we needed.

Reviewed on 2016/02/25

Pros

From the beginning, their customer service was outstanding. In our research phase to find a new CRM vendor, we contacted at least 1 dozen different companies. We provided the sales people with an extensive list that outlined the data that we collect, as well as our database needs. Some companies looked at the list and upfront said that they couldn't provide what we needed. Others never bothered to contact us at all. Most sad, the fundraising software/donation processing company that we've been with for more than a decade never contacted us to let us know about their new services, they only increased our annual fees and decreased functionality. So NeonCRM emerged as one of our top choices very early on.

Best yet, in talking to their sales person, and now our account manager, as well as their data consultants, they work with us to discuss and figure out solutions. For example, for many years we have used our database as a way to check of tasks in the data collection process. NeonCRM helped us to figure out if we needed a combination of data points or a process document to ensure that all of our users entered consistent information. That kind of collaboration and solution-based thinking has been immensely helpful. More so, given that we have planned for our data migration to happen over 2 years, with specific benchmarks. It feels like NeonCRM will be there with us all the way. One of our Board members is an engineer, and the way that NeonCRM does consultation allowed us to invite our Board member and our web site builder and designer into the meetings. That way we could all learn and develop solutions at the same time.

Best yet, we've been able to work with NeonCRM staff, from sales to data consultants, who actually understood arts nonprofits, so they understand what to do with our earned income. Other companies were best for health or educational nonprofits, or advocacy & policy nonprofits, or some other kind of nonprofit. To have a team that understands the work that we do, the size of our organizations, the ways that our events function, and is willing to work with us to meet our needs (instead of trying to cram us into their system), made all the difference.

Cons

There are bits of functionality that other companies have that we would like. Such as the ability to tweet or make facebook posts, and track that information, from within the CRM, something that Nation Builder does really well. We would also like to be able to integrate silent and online auctions into fundraising efforts, but this is not something that can be done just yet. Finally, we would like to have our ecommerce products tied to their makers, something that NeonCRM can't do. However, they provided us with an API integration solution that will work in the meantime.

Sheri K.

Neon, an elegant solution

Reviewed on 2014/09/02

Pros

I have had my NeonCRM system now for about four months, and what I love the most about it is probably its elegance. It's like the designers sat in my office, watched me work, and then designed a system that would not only take care of the many things I need when working with our donors, but also thought of a whole lot more! The system is very comprehensive, and while it is quite large and will take many more months to completely master, it is consistent. This consistency throughout makes it relatively easy to learn to work, even in the beginning.

Cons

The thing I have found the most frustrating is that I run a Mac, and this system is more compatible with PC. For instance, I could not run the tutorials on my Mac, so I had to haul out an old PC laptop for my training webinars. It worked out okay, as I could be working on the Mac in the program while watching the tutorial on the PC, but we Mac users get frustrated with these situations. Later, I learned that the internal mail merger program would not work on anything but Internet Explorer, which is unfortunately no longer available for Mac. It would have been nice if we could have at least had Firefox or Chrome, both very commonly used browsers, as an option. This is not a deal breaker for me, but for the price and quality of the system, I would have liked more compatibility.

Response from NeonCRM

Sheri, we really appreciate the kind words and positive review, but also thank you for the constructive feedback to make our processes better.

We've heard you and other Mac users loud and clear in regards to accessing the recorded trainings. Where NeonCRM obviously works just fine on PCs and Macs, the webinar provider we work with only renders our recordings in a PC-compatible format. Due to this limitation of our webinar partner, we have made the decision to stream all NeonCRM trainings on YouTube to ensure Mac users and all NeonCRM users have easy access to all training sessions. We'll be having your account manager reach out directly to you to provide this resource directly and these can be accessed with a simple search on YouTube.

In regards to the Microsoft Word mail merge functionality you brought up, that direct push from NeonCRM to Microsoft Word is actually something that is dictated by Microsoft, not us, since they want people to be using Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, Chrome, Firefox, and all other browsers are unable to receive a direct push from any system directly into Microsoft Word. We are looking to see if there's a way around it and will of course let you know. Of course, you can always use the built-in NeonCRM mail merge templates or export to Excel/csv to perform the mail merge externally as well. So there are options!

Again, thank you for the amazing feedback and look forward to growing with you for years to come.
-Your NeonCRM Team

Kate S.

Reviewed on 2013/11/04

If your experience is anything like mine was, you are currently struggling with outdated software. You are having to maintain multiple databases manually in order to do all the things that are standard operating procedures in these fast-paced days, and you are working on a shoestring budget with a great but stretched staff.

For me, this is where Neon came in to help us. Is it perfect. No. Of course not. Unless you have a zillion dollars to house your own tech department you are unlikely to find absolute perfection. Is Neon, in my opinion, the closest thing to perfect for a non-profit organization? Yes!

Why do I think that?

1) Technology upgrades every 18 months (at the longest) which is almost impossible for a non-profit to keep up with while remaining competitive within today's business world. Neon is an ever-evolving system that shares functionality with all Neon clients; your membership database is always up-to-date with new innovations appearing and available to be customized to meet your needs for reasonable pricing (unlike other systems that, in my experience, started customization at around $25,000 a piece).

2) When hosting our own CRM on-site, we were responsible for maintaining our server; with an aging server and without a hardware specialist on staff, our data was always at risk, even though it was backed up. With Neon, our system is now a cloud-based system, leaving the hardware support to the experts at Neon. This was not only a worry off our backs but also a fiscal savings.

3) In order to keep up to date, we were maintaining multiple databases. We had our member database, our event database, our website member-only database, and our email database. This doesn't include the QuickBooks upkeep and our area membership lists that had to be maintained and exported separately on a monthly basis. Needless to say, this ate up a lot of time and was susceptible to human error. With Neon, everything was in one place (Please note we chose to use Neon's email because another service would mean we once again would have to import/export data and not have the tracking material on the records where we wanted them). This was a huge benefit. Having everything available in one place freed up our staff to work on other projects and spend time on long-term strategic planning as opposed to just working in the moment.

4) With our old system, we were the experts. We were all alone. If we wanted customer service, the vendor could sort of help but the service teams wouldn't take time to understand the way we were using the system and could only provide generic answers. With Neon, we have experts at the end of a chat or a phone call (depending on your needs and service package) who can log into your system, see what you are seeing, and team with you to find an answer to your issues.

5) With our old system, our volunteers and members had limited abilities and options available to them. With Neon, our volunteers and members have a greater level of interaction with their own records, as well as with each other.

So with all that said, my overall advice is get Neon. But when you do jump in also be realistic and patient with both Neon and your staff. Remember change is always hard. Expect that the transfer of data will be stressful. Expect that the first six months will include hiccups. Expect that in a year you will be an expert in NEON. Expect that your "sophomore" year experience will make it all worthwhile.

Mike C.

All 3 Things You Need it to Do - and More!

Reviewed on 2011/08/23

You want CRM software to do 3 things:
1. Safely store you data
2. Allow you to leverage your data
3. Allow you to interact with your organizations website

Most systems do the first 2 - they better (!), NEON does the third one too and better than any other product in the industry. My only hope is they don't get bought by Blackbaud.

I've done 15 or more conversions with many different product and have never been happier than with NEON. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll share more with you.

Pros

I won't comment on the other features NEON does that other systems do as well - or almost as well. Instead, I'll focus on the factors that set them apart from the other players on the market.

FORMS! - how can any org look past the ability to survey their constituents via email and then have the responses post to the database? e.g. How did you hear about us? a - k / What most interests you about our work? a.b.c. d. free form response / How would you like us to communicate with you? a - d

Events! NEON is the industry leader in allowing users to enter info via an org's website and into the database. I have one client using NEON that registers athletic event users via their website - all the way down to the waiver release form via a digital signature. All that info results in a paperless process that posts to their website on the back end.

Training - online video training is FREE - you won't get that with eTapestry or DonorPerfect.

Cons

The reports function features a URL for a particular report (dynamic too). This is is fantastic! But many board members and volunteers need to be reminded to access the url and it would be great if NEON would schedule the delivery of reports on an ongoing basis rather than the user having to schedule the delivery of the reports. A small thing, but one less thing the user has to think about doing.

Response from Z2 Systems

Thanks Mike! we appreciate your review! As for the ability to email reports out to board members, you can set up an account in NEON, create a recurring activity to have NEON email your board member with the dynamic report link on, for example, the first of the month every month.

And as for the comment about the BBaud buyout, no chance. :) We're in this for the long haul to create the best cloud based CRM for nonprofits and to ensure we offer it for less. Plus, NEON is built as an All-in-One platform that can house fundraising/donors, membership/members, events/registrants and track all of this in one system. Plus, our frontend connectivity to nonprofit's websites allows everything to funnel right into NEON automatically. Times are changing and there is no longer a need to spend so much for powerful software and IT staff to manage servers.

NEON, by Z2 systems, Inc., is here to stay and evolve with the technology needs of the Nonprofit industry. Count on it!

Daniel W.

Pretty good product, does most of what I need

Reviewed on 2021/03/26

I've been mostly happy with the product. My disappointment, thankfully, have been very minor, and I can happily recommend this for anyone needing the advancved options that i did.

Pros

I chose Neon CRM because it was the most comprehensive CRM solution that I encountered that did not also cost a fortune. I have very specific needs beyond basic donor management. I also needed event management and member management components. Almost no other products had all of these capabilities built in.

Cons

I haven't used some of the features because they aren't as good as what i am currently using, especially for social media, email newsletter, and donor letters. The software offers a LOT of features, which is not a downside, but it also takes some time to find out how everything works. Neon provides a lot of tutorials, however, which are usually spot on.

DonorPerfect, Little Green Light and Network for Good

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

My previous product did not have the capabilities I needed for an expanding mission.

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

Greater functionality was built in to NEON CRM and I didn't want to parcel out the functionality among several different products.

Response from Neon One

Daniel, we hear you! Thank you for the honest review and feedback. We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our webinar: https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Christine E.

NeonCRM: A solid decade by need to move forward

Reviewed on 2021/04/30

We've been using NEON for over 10 years. It has been a solid, reliable performer. We have grown from $150k to over $1M in fundraising, and NEON has supported that growth (although it is not able to make mass changes to old data as we have better understand/refine how we track donations). Although NEON has incorporated some enhancements and improvements to the user experience recently, overall they have been slow to change, and customer support is not very responsive. Support for household roll-up (including family funds/DAV) has become critical to our organization, requiring us to seek other software solutions.

Pros

Solid basic constituent and donation management. Reliable - service is rarely down or unacceptably slow. Interface is relatively easy to use for anyone with good software sensibilities (a simpler view would be helpful for less techy BOD members).

Cons

Householding support with regards to donations roll-up is very poor. Reporting, while flexible and seemingly comprehensive, often requires export and external manipulation to get what we want. Organization is not responsive to customer requests - with popular suggestions in forum going unaddressed for years.

Response from Neon One

Hello Christine. We're happy to hear how much success your organization has had fundraising through Neon CRM over the past 10 years, but we're sad to see you go. Your feedback regarding how and why you're switching to another CRM is extremely insightful in helping us grow, and help us learn which features are most important to our customers. Thank you so much for leaving your review!

Tracy M.

Veterans Miracle Center Erie Gets Squared Away Using NeonCRM

Reviewed on 2016/02/16

Pros

NeonCRM is very robust in its comprehensive capabilities to manage every aspect of fundraising, reporting, tracking, lead generation and just plain constituent management process. For Veterans Miracle Center Erie, the offerings of NeonCRM's full suite of modules was well-above our necessity at the time we implemented it, and at a cost that would make any non-profit cheer. The optional modules available for growth allows the VMCE to grow at a solid-yet-comfortable rate, with confidence that our CRM can grow with us. Additional features for mass-emailing and event management are just some of the additional options we look forward to. For those seeking to have organizational excellence, this tool will allow you to cross items of the "accomplished tasks" list every day and breathe a sigh of relief.

There are countless videos, articles, and DIY options available should your organization not have the budget for one-on-one guidance from NeonCRM's support.

Cons

Filtering data down to a very specific subset of constituents, donations and campaigns for further analysis is key to the non-profit world. NeonCRM is very powerful for drilling down to mine out the gold needed. However, if your organization does NOT purchase the conversion support and general support, a person who is tech-savvy and patient ought to be selected to carefully read the very thorough SOPS and knowledge base articles provided by NeonCRM. It really isn't a complaint - just be prepared accordingly to either spend the additional funds for proper support, or know that you are at the mercy of someone to teach your remaining staff how to build and pull custom reports. Please note that the system does feature a TON of pre-fab reports, so you won't be at a loss even in your newness to NeonCRM.

Stuart M.

Neon CRM is not for everyone

Reviewed on 2022/04/27

Overall my experience has not been great. In particular I have been extremely disappointed by the technical support or lack of support. We pay for telephone support but can never reach anyone or get anyone to return calls

Pros

The software has capacity to do many functions

Cons

NEON has it's own language and it the user experience is not very intuitive. We are a NON Profit that does not have full time employees. Our users struggle to find ways to do what should be the simple tasks

Bloomfire

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

Donor Snap was not robust enough

DonorSnap

Response from Neon One

Thank you for the feedback, Stuart! A big goal for our upcoming product development calendar is keeping all of the advanced features that users need while making daily use of Neon CRM simpler, especially for users like your team who need to be able to accomplish tasks without investing tons of time in learning to use the software.

Sarah B.

Neon is unmatchable

Reviewed on 2021/03/30

It is a core component of our business at this point, which we use daily. It stores so much information and organizes it in an extremely accessible manner. The various functionalities are used by our non-profit organization every single day. It seems like every aspect is useful and functional. As an organization, we have been able to eliminate other competing premium softwares and instead use Neon.

Pros

The user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to learn. It's truly an all in one software that can do so much. It's integration with various other apps is seamless. We have so much data, and Neon can handle it all, and make it easy to understand, access, and analyze. Neon is honestly an essential must-have for any organization.

Cons

I think the campaign email marketing part can be somewhat confusing. The components seem too separate, it needs to be more cohesive in one big step-by-step process instead of going back and forth between the tab's sub-categories. It works perfectly, I just think the process to sending emails can be a little more streamlined.

Response from Neon One

Thank you for your honest and comprehensive review of Neon CRM, Sarah! We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our upcoming webinar (or watch the recording afterward): https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Chriz D.

Basically, a good value for small nonprofits

Reviewed on 2021/03/30

Pros

Great tools for managing donor system- love the automatic thank you emails, donation forms, database, reporting, etc. Also love the ease of use with Events and Campaigns.

Cons

The donor and members features did not work well together where it was not reporting member contributions as donor contributions (IRS allows member contributions to be tax deductible as long under $75). We now just use the members feature with zero value in order to be able to send them annual reminders (and mark their member contribution as a donation). Not working perfectly but it's what we do for now. Another piece that I do not like is the customer support is either hard to get or not timely in their responses. It often takes 48 hours or more for a response, and sometimes I have to remind them I am waiting for a response. The delay of response makes is so I forget to follow up on the issue that we were having. Very frustrating at times.

Response from Neon One

Hi Chriz! Thank you for your review. Please continue to reach out to our support team, so we can continue to help you to make Neon CRM work great for you! You can also find a variety of webinars, guides, and videos for Neon CRM here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/.

Diana E.

Reviewed on 2013/10/31

We are an environmental educational nonprofit. We provide many educational events for our members and the public to learn how to identify and manage noxious weeds. We also provide educational publications.

We made the decision to leave our other system after increase fees and what we felt was decreased interest in smaller nonprofits after they were purchased by another vendor. We also did not like the fact each year when we did events their system did not allow us to customize things ourselves using their system but required us to get out the checkbook and pay them to do so.

We initially bought the base plus two modules with Neon in 2011. We purchased the website shell overlay. The second year we expanded to the full product.

We did our own data conversion in less than 30 days. We brought over the history of membership and events that we had exported into Excel spreadsheets. We felt the conversion was very easy. The vendor was there for help, though it was easy enough and well documented such that we did not require much help.

We learned to use the system quickly using their documentation, videos, and knowledge-based website and forums. Honestly, for the most part, the system has been intuitive.

Their customer service rocks. We use the ticket system exclusively, and they have provided responses in a timely and professional manner. We really appreciate that their help desk appears to have a stable employee base with low turnover, so we feel that they know us. More importantly, the development team at Neon seems to want to grow this product by listening and making regular system changes that reflect the changing needs of NPOs. Each year when we renew, we can always think of a thing or two that happened that makes us glad again we are with Neon.

We have benefited by being with a system that listens to their user base. I see things that we have suggested incorporated into the system. There are twice a year updates that we can depend on, which are documented and announced (unlike our old system, which dropped things in unannounced, and then we would have problems and not be able to figure out why). Releases have been fully tested and it is not buggy software.

We have saved money for our nonprofit by reducing the number of SAS vendors we deal with. We have improved efficiency and understanding of our donors and members as we have brought all of relationship interfaces to a single database. When we pull up a donor, we now know what they bought, when they last donated, if they are a member, how long they have been a member, which events they have attended, and more.

This has been a great economic move for us, but it has turned into an even better strategic move that will allow us to better understand all those we interface with, which will in turn allow us to better fulfill our mission .

Mandy D.

Multi-platform CRM

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

Overall a great product and easy to learn. If you need a lot of very specific reporting, however, this may not be the one for you.

Pros

Seamlessly integrates event registration, social fundraising, online donations, volunteer scheduling, grant tracking and donor development all in one CRM.

Cons

Specific reports can be difficult to obtain. Trial and error to get the exact information you want. You also cannot create tickets for events-- registrants only receive email confirmations.

Response from Sean

Hi Mandy,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. We're happy to know you've been taking advantage of so many of the tools Neon offers!

To address your concerns specifically, we completely understand that getting the right report results can be a trial-and-error process, which is why we try to offer a wide range of resources that deal with reporting. There's a wonderful article in our support center titled, appropriately, "Getting the Right Report Results" at https://support.neoncrm.com/hc/en-us/articles/218529077-Getting-the-Right-Report-Results.

I would also encourage you to submit a support ticket or schedule some time with your Professional Services Consultant for an in-depth, one-on-one discussion of your reporting needs. Should you need access to a report that isn't available within Neon already, we can always pull a custom report for you at your request!

Finally, while Neon does provide email confirmation for all event registrants and attendees, you can also utilize our integration partnership services for more robust ticketing and check-in functionality. We integrate with both Eventbrite and MyRollCall--if you'd like more information on how these services integrate with Neon, please send us an email at [email protected] Thanks again!

-Your Neon Team