Resource Guru Reviews

Resource Guru

Cloud based team scheduling software

4.6/5 (64 reviews)
Nikki K.

A great way of organising your day

Reviewed on 2018/01/15

Pros

That you can easily move jobs around if they need to change and can book off holiday time and meeting time so that you don't overbook yourself.

Cons

The waiting time bit could be better if time is overbooked - doesn't allow for different lengths of working days.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru! I wanted to let you know that you can most definitely customise the availability of each of your resources on a daily basis - not every day has to have the same availability.

You can set resources normal availability (which is the availability which repeats on a weekly basis) and you can also create availability exceptions if you need to make a temporary change to someone's normal availability.

You might find this article on resource availability useful https://help.resourceguruapp.com/customer/portal/articles/2162590

I hope this helps, but please get in touch if you have any questions. We're always happy to help!

Thanks,
Kat

Steve C.

The entire team are there to make sure your experience with the product is easy and beneficial.

Reviewed on 2017/12/13

Provided visibility and allowed tracking of the team members, contract end dates and the ability to generate accurate invoices for the customer

Pros

The product is easy to use and allows the administrator to manage teams, plan and review previous activities.
It can be used for recording or planning and gives a level of visibility that is lacking in a number of products.
Although the team are constantly looking at ways to improve the product, it never strays away from its core and prime functionality. Many products try to grow into a bigger, wider space and lose the key elements that attracted customers to the product in the first place.
A customer of ours was so impressed with the product that they too purchased it after seeing the value it afforded us.

Cons

It would be great if there was an App which could be opened rather than a web browser, although this is only a minor consideration with the number of browsers out there.

Luke M.

Time management made easy!

Reviewed on 2017/12/13

Pros

The tool really makes time management easy and extremely visual. It does away with ugly excel spreadsheets and with a neat UX, it allows for easy time forecasting whilst also enabling you to easily keep on top of your time expenditure! I genuinely love this tool.

Along with the tool, where there are areas for improvement, the development team are happy to listen and actually make changes based on feedback! I've provided feedback with a couple of times and both have been integrated into future updates - this is a company that listens and constantly develops for the users' needs.

Cons

Very difficult to outline any main cons, as like I said above, any issues I've had with the tool historically, they've been resolved!

If I HAD to provide one, it'll be how the tool works across different devices. It's not especially mobile friendly...but that's me scraping the barrel for a con.

Nil P.

Just works

Reviewed on 2018/01/16

Pros

It's online, live, easy to use and easy to update, GUI is nice, all information is easy in a GANTT style.

Cons

Not available on a phone!!! Needs an app, some copy paste/duplicate features could be added. Should sync better to iCal and be updatable from iCal to RG.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Nil

Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru! I wanted to let you know that you can most definitely copy and paste in Resource Guru - just use SHIFT+drag. You'll find a demonstration of this and other handy tips in our Help Center here: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/customer/en/portal/topics/839971-little-tips/articles

I also wanted to let you know that dedicated mobile apps and two way calendar sync are firmly on our roadmap :)

Thanks again, and please don't be a stranger if there's anything we can do to help!
Kat

The Resource Guru Support is Top Notch!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Pros

Our use of Resource Guru is sort of out of the box. We use it for scheduling barn space in the Agriculture Industry. The support team has always stepped up to find ways to enable Resource Guru to fit with our unique needs. If it works this well for our out of the box use, imagine how well it works for it's intended purpose. For us, the reasonable price has been worth the gamble of using a software not meant for our intended use.

Cons

In our out of the box use, the biggest con - is the speed at which the software moves from page to page. However, this might not be Resource Guru's fault. It could be our internet capabilities, or the amount of data we plug in for our purpose. For our use, I'm looking a 15-17 week time frame, like most people look at a 8-10 hour work day. If you use the software as it's intended, this probably wouldn't be a problem.

Deep C.

We love working with this tool and being able to see the company bookings at a glance.

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Insight on how long projects are booked for, how many hours are booked against a project and if this makes sense for our sales and we're quoting projects correctly. An easy to use tool that allows us to be able to update and manage resources quickly and ever so easily.

Pros

Easy to add projects, easy to add customers, easy to add team members. The email summary sent out to everyone is great and easy for users to gain access to be able to see their work for the day/week/months coming. The reporting functionality allows us to export the information cleanly and easily for internal reporting needs

Cons

Unable to track timesheets and then be able to compare how accurate bookings vs actuals will be.
Would love to be able to have Project Manager's be able to book their times through the site and then have it approved by Resource Manager.

Great app - looking forward to increased functionality

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Pros

It allows my team to update resource use on their own schedule, and eliminates hours of my time in schedule and team management. I also love that I can archive resources when they are temporarily inactive, therefore saving money.

Cons

What I would like to see in the future:
1. Ability to get daily "Meeting Room" email or report of usage. (Ability to set the time that this occurs would also be helpful)
2. For events that an administrator assigns to a booker, it would be great if the booker could also edit the event.
3. Allow for same-day event schedule changes to notify the resource.

Mark J.

Great tracking, greater accountability

Reviewed on 2015/07/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Resource Guru has been fantastic to work with. They have always had excellent customer service, their product is easy to use, and the bills are on-time and consistent. At this point, Resource Guru is a staple program for our college TV station.

Cons

The only thing that I would change would be allowing for custom fields on resource checkouts as a standard. There is currently a large text box for any comments, but it would be great to have the ability to name and create one line text options if you use them for every checkout.

Nicole K.

Chaos Coordinator for Sure!

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

when I first started using it- I immediately navigated through it and was able to use it first day. Very easy! Would Recommend!

Pros

Resource Guru is like my own little personal assistant where I can pretty much organize my entire day from scheduling my warehouse inbound/outbounds to scheduling drivers for events as not to overlap them.

Cons

The new beta version looks awesome- wish we could edit it now. Old format kind of hard to read at times for scheduling.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Nicole - thanks for the great review! The beta schedule has the same functionality as the existing one except availability exceptions (coming very soon), so you should be able to create and edit bookings in there without any problem. It works well on mobile too :)

Thanks, Percy

Richard L.

Makes it super easy to stay on the same page as my coworkers!!

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

We do not have the scheduling conflicts that we used to have in the past.

Pros

Easy to use from anywhere and you can filter out the schedules you don't want to see. We no longer have issues figuring out vacation coverage for our people.

Cons

Would like to see an iPhone app and an Android app in the future instead of suing the web browser all the time.

Nev K.

We have had this tool for about 4 years now and we have come to rely on it heavily.

Reviewed on 2018/05/03

organization and accessibility to a schedule managed by many

Pros

- online so you can view it remotely
- clients can be color coded
- you can set various permission levels
- reporting is accurate
- customer service is fast

Cons

- searching for a specific project can be a challenge with no search feature
- nothing else, it works well.

Andee M.

Resource Guru is an amazing tool for us! Special thanks for helping us restore our account.

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Pros

I love that Resource Guru allows anyone with an ID to create a booking. this helps our Production team keep tabs on equipment / what is being used and what is not being used in an efficient manner. Customer Service has been outstanding & prompt. Even around the holiday season. Thanks again Guru and crew, you have an outstanding product and a fabulous support team. Special shout out to Kat who helped us out in a tight spot recently.

Lidija B.

Excellent. Love it.

Reviewed on 2017/12/13

Pros

This software is very easy to use. I like the new option with assigning a Project IDs. The email notifications are great as well. I also like that we can schedule sick days and vacations days.

Cons

I really wish this software would have a UNDO option. Sometimes instead of a copy I would drag and move the item from one person to another. Also, I like the notifications, but I wish we could schedule them to arrive at different time, not at midnight.

Great product but no development

Reviewed on 2015/11/30
Review Source

Whilst it Guru is a promising, flexible and easy to use product it really is just bare bones at the moment and they have failed to deliver any additional functionality since launch despite increasing pricing.

The forums are filled with requests and suggestions for highly useful add-ons and improvements that always receive the same answer "It's on the road map but we are working on other aspects of development". However, there have been no new releases and even the highly anticipated Vacation and Leave function slated for October 2015 has not actually been delivered. In fact the only thing that has changed is a change in pricing model that has upped the cost of the product.

So, to conclude, even though Resource Guru has great potential the increased cost combined with a complete lack of development and capacity for integration make it a waste of time and money. Sad really because conceptually it is a fantastic product.

Response from Resource Guru

Thanks for the review Ossian! While I understand your frustration at the low frequency of new feature releases recently I'd like to correct you on a few things. It's not true that we have failed to deliver anything since launch—for more information on our product updates you can go to the "Product Updates" section of our blog http://blog.resourceguruapp.com/category/product-updates/. We are sorry that our leave management feature is not yet live but it is a large and complex upgrade to Resource Guru and we want to ensure it is all perfect before we release it. We hate the idea of our users doing our testing for us.

Although we haven't directly integrated with any apps yet, we have developed webhooks (found in your account settings) which deliver realtime updates enabling you to create many DIY integrations using services like Zapier. We also have an advanced API (more details can be found at https://developers.resourceguruapp.com/). We want to wait until the product is slightly more evolved before we start working on integrations and the work we've done to date will put us in a very good position to do so when the time comes.

Lastly, I noticed that you only gave our customer support 2 stars. We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer support to all our customers and the team will be very disappointed to hear this. Apart from reading comments about features being on the roadmap (while you may find this frustrating, we are only trying to be honest and not make promises we can't keep), was there anything else about our customer service that you found inadequate?

Once again, thanks for the review and I hope we can bring a smile to your face in the future as we release more features.

Excellent simply way to plan resources

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Easy resource planning and everyone can access.

Pros

Can set up clients and projects in multiple ways which support your business. Colour coding allowing provisional bookings to be easily identified. Reporting with output to xls format.

Cons

Would be useful to be able to add charge out rates to projects - at the moment export to xls and then combine with other data rather than being able to report in one go.

Christie P.

so easy and intuitive

Reviewed on 2018/01/12

Pros

I love using Resource Guru to schedule our team's time. It's so easy to learn and use. Being web-based, I can use it from anywhere, which is a major lpus.

Cons

I wish I could make tasks recurring, but that's not a major drawback. Also, it would be nice to be able to see more detail of each task without clicking into it. But in a way, it's simplicity is better than fancy functionality.

Trys M.

Resource Guru is brilliantly simple and easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/01/16

We're so much more organised. Before we were sharing multiple Google Calendars which was a pain when someone joined the company. This solves all of that.

Pros

The simplicity - it does calendars really well without forcing to use a huge CRM. Our team is substantially more organised because of it.

Cons

Google Calendar integration can be fiddly but it's not too bad. Other than that, we're really happy with the software.

Rashmi S.

Amazing tool

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Resource guru has made my work life easier in terms of resource allocation. The tool is very handy.

Pros

The project allocation section (Schedule) is very user friendy, the tool doesn't require any training or tool walkthrough, it is very intuitive.

Cons

The saved filters doesn't have the edit option, this is required is a new team member is expected to be included in the filter group

Josie M.

Love Resource GURU

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

I enjoy using it

Pros

easy to use (in every aspect). Makes scheduling easy

Cons

lacking in some back end function but overall good.

Fred J.

Our planning process has never been more effective and painless. It works like a charm.

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Planning and scheduling efficiency. Ease of use, information is presented in easy to digest manner.

Pros

It is web based, easy to use, easy to deploy and maintain, extremely intuitive and practical, adding resources and projects is just a few clicks away. Visually representation of your staff weeks in advance is priceless.

Cons

If I had to mention something, on slower connections, it takes a couple of seconds to refresh, but that might not be entirely RG's fault.

William H.

Good solid product

Reviewed on 2018/11/06

It helps stop overallocation of resources and let's the whole organisation see what resource are working on. Allows a good view of what is critical.

Pros

The software is easy to use and gives a good easy to view allocation of resources.

Cons

Scrolling, which I believe has been addressed in beta version.

Maxine B.

Resource Guru provides visibility to the business and is an excellent tool for organisers

Reviewed on 2017/11/15

Pros

After 4 years of trying to see 'at a glance' our resource pool and track time against projects, Resource Guru has become a valuable software asset

Cons

The pop up messages tend to be a nuisance and I would prefer it if they just faded away after a few minutes.

Felicia F.

Hassle free, clear and concise. Easy to navigate.

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Pros

It is simple to use and easy to input requirements. Colour codes make it easier to identify the jobs that are completed.

Cons

The layout is quite messy when the hours input for resource is on waiting. It is difficult to identify which is your booking.

6.0/10

Clean and efficient. Far better than not having it

Reviewed on 2018/01/16

Time saving, stress saving and it helps everyone. Top product that I'm glad is part of the business' routine.

Pros

visualizes and allows for future planning of time. Allows business wide visibility. Has made my life far easier with it. Is always part of the daily routine.

Cons

Lack of clear links to other platforms like outlook, google suite or trello. This would be the killer addition but as is it works really cleanly.

Søren find M.

For controlling and managing resources - this is absolutely a winner!

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Transparency of our bookings, and the will from our employees to use it actively

Pros

Resource GURU focus on resource management . It doesn't provide a ton of unnecessary gadgets just driving the cost and complexity up. In a small company of app. 20 engineers, the GURU makes an excellent overview for the daily and weekly planning, provides a good forecasts of utilization looking ahead, and the ability of synchronizing with outlook makes it very easy to inform about our expectations to our colleagues.

Cons

A nice feature to work on, would be an 'autofit' function, where a new project could be thrown into the bunch of existing projects and let GURU do the initial planning. A smooth looking app as other software provide would also be nice.