Workday HCM

Unified human capital management and talent acquisition

Ryan D.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great for managing Comp workflows, but not for analytics/reporting

Reviewed on 2019/06/03

Pros

1) Ability to audit change logs: who made what change when, who was it approved by, was it later edited or rescinded, etc.
2) The ability to mass rescind changes is a lifesaver; you can filter by data input date range, specific input files, individuals / business units, etc.
3) Quick learning curve to get familiar with the interface, new comp team members can get ramped up in no time.

Cons

1) While reporting within the tool does exist, I always found it lackluster compared to what we could build on top of it with Tableau or custom dashboard tools.
2) Doesn't do a great job of interacting with equity data, particularly vesting data. We always created custom tables in SQL and fed them into Workday for reporting purposes, didn't trust using it as the system of record for equity.
3) Difficult to make corrections to a comp change record without manually rescinding and updating subsequent comp changes (which can be VERY tedious).

New HR Tool brings some challenges and benefits

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

MY organization switched over to Workday and I had the chance to use this tool for a while now. I'll say that it's a lot easier to pick up and the available info to learn it was easy to grasp as well.

Pros

You can pretty much find any HR related features/questions/information in one spot. I was able to consolidate my benefits options, PTO, reviews, in one spot. I also think that it's certainly more robust/ takes a lot less down time than our previous software. Besides that Workday comes with the standard user logins, password setup, online time-sheet, etc. that I expect.

I really like the ability to edit my own info very fast. I can change things like benefits or dependencies quickly rather than going directly to my HR's office.

Cons

My one complaint is that I used to be able to directly edit some of my team member's info and reviews from our old platform on my own. I think whether it's due to lack of access rights or just how my HR department has set it up, I can't do that any longer. It's a more lengthy process of getting it manually updated from my end and through some parties outside my immediate department.

Shaun P.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Workday will make your day go more than okay!

Reviewed on 2019/12/23

Workday I am so glad it is becoming a lot more common in the industry and I love the convenience that the product provides to the consumer. It expedites the process of applying to positions on a lot of major corporations' websites.

Pros

I love the fact that you can upload your file onto their platform and everything is already prefilled in for you with great accuracy. Yes, other sites do offer that same kind of service but I do notice when applying the file onto the form to prefill, most other sites aren't as good in entering data in the correct fields. The interface is easy to use as well and does not take a long time to load.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like about the product is the fact that depending on the carrier using the product, your account may or may not be saved. Which is no big deal, you just create another account for each consumer's page you are visiting and wish to register on.

Jennifer A.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Workday makes it very easy to choose which benefits work best for your family and your needs.

Reviewed on 2018/05/24

I feel like worday is a great program to use. Especially if you have a large business and you want to deliver a wealth of information to all of your employees at their convenience vs. a time you want to select. The platform can also allow for users to access it from their own home PC's so they can truly do what they need to on their own time. As an employee, I felt like that was a great feature.

Pros

I used workday benefits for over 7 years with a property management company that I worked for. Each year we would log into workday to view the current benefits available and choose which benefits worked best for our needs and our families, if any. IT was super easy to use. They would show you on workday side by side what benefits provided which coverages, and at what costs. You could even use a comparison to see which benefits were going to work best. It also showed all the different types of benefits the company offered such as medical, dental, 401k, LTD, STD, vision and what not. It was very clear what you were selecting and you had to double and triple confirm which benefits you selected. Also, once open enrollment was closed, there was a way, where if you had a qualifying life event, you could change your benefits. It was a very easy, straight forward program for us to use.

Cons

Sometimes while using the software, it would "hiccup" when switching between coverages and I would have to re log in and get to where I was. It was truly a mild issue which wasn't frustrating. This also my have had a LOT to do with the internet I was using and not the actual program itself...

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

I use workday as a end user

Reviewed on 2018/08/05

it is awesome.

Pros

I use workday as a end user in my orgination.In workday what i like most is helps to maintain transparency between management and lower employee.In workday any employee can see full hierarchy of his/her organization so their is no hide and seek between management and employee.Employee can see his all year performance,his role in organization detail ,his profile,training,skill everything in one single place.and for company also it is easy to track each single employee detail like performance,skills,work history.

Cons

I dont find any thing which I dont like in workday as it make transparency in organization so I will suggest to organization to use workday so it increase employee's trust on organization which is very necessary for any organization.

Kerry G.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Excellent product to use for HCM, if the appropriate support model is in place for your...

Reviewed on 2017/03/05

Inadequate training, lack of internal SME resources, and an absence of a true guided vision/direction by leadership will result in an expensive and poorly received system. As such, an organization will be reliant on implementation partners or independents as consultants, supporting or re-implementing a failed system, which will be even more expensive.

Pros

Workday is leading edge technology and highly configurable.The UI is best in class. Integrations with most 3rd party systems are easy to configure and the delivered packaged integrations are superb.

Cons

An organization needs to ensure proper internal support for the system to function smoothly. Training and user adoption/communication is also key for acceptance. An organization must have the SME talent in-house to be successful.

• Industry: Medical Devices
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Navigation is a bit cumbersome

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

It would be good to have the UI redesigned to be more intuitive and perhaps function like a OS-native application (e.g. Windows, Mac, etc.) The current web-based interface is a little unwieldy.

Pros

Workday has a fairly robust set of functionalities, like the previous tool we used, and is improving with each upgrade, but I think there are several nuances that could be beefed up.

Cons

The location of the buttons is awkward, and the navigation is not very intuitive. For example, when doing a performance evaluation, the navigation - though it is customized for my company - leaves a lot to be desired.

Jacob S.
  • Industry: Events Services

Workday for working people

Reviewed on 2018/12/21

Best service out there. Would recommend.

Pros

There is an ease of use for total HR solution. Payroll management, time registry, Health and dental and overall benefit elections for insurance, chain of command. The software has it all in one place. The benefits portion allows direct selection of medical, dental, eye, and life insurance. Great selection overall.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like a one way in and one way out method can be confusing to navigate within. It is hard to know if entry’s are accurate. Overall the system includes everything’s from questions with written entry options to multiple choice bubble selections and all of the positives outweigh the quirks.

Erin E.

Workday Time Off Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

I really like how Workday has the capability to host multiple types of business processes under the same system - from payroll, HCM, time off, leaves, and performance (just to name a few), it's great to have everything under the same "roof" - rather than testing so many different types of integrations. Happy customer!

Pros

The Time Off functionality is so customizable! With over 17,000 pre-made calculations set up, and the ability to create your own (if needed), whatever you are trying to set up in the system, there's a high likelihood you'll be able to do it. From the training provided, it's recommended to set up different Time Off Plans for any time off type you have, this means more maintenance, but more flexibility within the system.

As a general recommendation with Workday, get familiar with the vocab/wording they use to describe the system - it really helps understand the software.

Cons

Being fairly new to the software, the fact that it is so customizable is very overwhelming at first. I recommend going slow, and reaching out to customer service support, or Workday Community, whenever you run into a snag or question - there are a lot of resources available, and whatever your holdup is, there's a good chance someone has going through something similar and can help you through it too.

• Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great all-in-one HR tool

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

Pros

- Very clean and easy to navigate UI, there are topics depending on what information you might be looking for
- Easy to log and track hours worked and view paychecks
- Easy to track and request time off
- Can review company org structure easily
- Can easily view information on your pay, time with the company, bonus information, and tax info.

Cons

Even though the UI is clean, there's some instances where I'll be trying to find a certain page, form, or piece of information and it isn't in an intuitive spot so you can waste alot of time trying to find one thing. I also dislike how sometimes when I submit a form and realize I made an error I can't go back and edit it.

Sarah D.

End user - Used for Time-sheets, Payslips, && Time off requests

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

This application has so much potential. The opening page of it is so user friendly. After that though everything gets so confusing. There are so many different windows that open and the site is really difficult to navigate. Half the time I want to find information, I get lost trying to find it and completely forget what I was looking for in the first place. Hopefully as time progresses they will find ways to integrate more user-friendly methods to use the information.

Pros

- Pretty UI
- Convenient that all these things (Time-sheets, payslips, && Time off) are in the same place
- Has tremendous potential

Cons

- Haven't found a way to contact the company to suggest improvements
- After you submit a time-off request, no easy way to undo it.
- After you have removed a time-off request, looking at PTO requests you see ALL of the actions you took (request time, remove time off request) && it isn't just for one day EX) A normal workday is split into two sections (before && after lunch). So 4 in total if you took a day then cancelled it.
- After you fill out your time-sheet && save it. You have to go to a separate tab to submit it. (You need to know to do that, there is not a link to it after you save the time-sheet.) This should be on the same page for a clearer flow.
- The entries for the actual time-sheet are huge. There should be a smaller plain view that is easier to fill out.
- If you click fill from scheduled time it does not automatically un-check your Requested PTO days so you might accidentally charge x2 time for that day. (Regular && PTO)
- Paid Time Off is not intuitive. It asks you what date you want to know the pro-rated Accrued Time Off is. If you could just have a simple information sheet that says Total for 2019 (or whatever year), Accrued so far, used time off, planned time off, left over.
- Pay Slips are not intuitive: To see your pay slip you have to click "Print", then it says it will notify you when it is ready. Then you have to open the PDF of it. It should just display beside the dates, forward && back buttons would be a plus.

Jason R.

A Great Software For The User....Not So Much For IT

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

That being said, as a user, it is a great experience as long as you are not the one setting it up. I feel that Workday should provide some materials with their video for future reference as when my company’s page faced some issues, it took quite some time to resolve due to Workday’s use of an outdated system for customer support.

Pros

As a user, Workday Performance Management is great as you can log into Workday and see lots of information about your performance, job position (layout of the company), and when combined with other Workday softwares, it makes a great way to track your position/advancement in the company as well as your salary, benefits, and work schedule.

Cons

While I do not work in HR, or integrate this software with the existing programs, from what I have heard from my colleagues is that it can be very hard to implement the software. There are not many free programs/materials to help you get started so in the case of my company, we had to pay for Workday’s course but even then, some issues have come up but we as a company are left in the blue as the course was a one time video and cannot be accessed again. All this in my opinion would not suit start-ups as it can be very costly.

Nicholas r F.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Love workday! Very simple, easy to use cloud based HR management system!

Reviewed on 2019/07/21

Keep the software updates coming with new features and efficiently in navigation!

Pros

Love the scalability of this HR application and the fact that all information is stored in the cloud and accessible by everyone, including the auditors!

Cons

No issue, love workday! Could. It be happier!

Tracey W.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

So glad my company switched to this, it makes everything so much easier!

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

More ease in hiring employees and giving them access to their information. We will be using the Recruiting platform soon which will make hiring even easier since it goes our applicant tracking for us.

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to use. Love that it gives employees 24/7 access to any HR/Payroll issues.

Cons

Takes a little getting used to, especially for those not computer-savvy. It could better point someone to the right area when they've made an error.

Paco S.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Better

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

Overall though, I have had a positive experience with workday. I like that I can log in with my fingerprint and I can easily clock in and out and view paystubs.

Pros

I am a designer and I can really appreciate when a company spends a little time and money on making an app aesthetic pleasing and usable. I log in and clearly know what i'm looking for.

Cons

Another app...I realize the beauty of capitalism is that anybody can compete with other companies. This isn't a knock on workday at all only that I wish I didn't have an app or payroll, a different app for benefits, a different app for this and that.

Simplicity is Beauty

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Pros

It doesn't have any complicated menus, you can get whatever you want in just one click. We used it for checking our payslip, contact information, creating feedback, etc.

Cons

I understand that we need to use our SAFE (Secure Access for Everyone) credentials but this take too much time in logging in to Workday. Maybe it's easier if it's just your preferred email address instead.

• Industry: Legal Services

Powerful, but cumbersome

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

Powerful tool, but there is a huge middle ground between basic and pro users that need to understand how the platform works that have no access to training materials and little support from Workday itself. Has a lot of potential, but marred by clunky and antediluvian UX

Pros

Reporting - almost limitless functionality in terms of getting reports on salient information. Can pull just about anything, and as long as the data is clean at point of entry, it will come out in an Excel file very readable and easy to read
Linear Process Maps - particular processes are very well laid out and structured if done right the first time around
Employee landing page - bright, vibrant, presentable

Cons

Cumbersome - quite slow. Redundant graphics slow down page transitions, reports take a long time to pull if you are looking for a fairly normal size file, some processes can turn into roundabouts
Navigation - back buttons for some, but not all pages, which doesn't make sense (have to go back to home page if you click through to the wrong area). No real logic to how hyperlinks work in platform, leading to rabbit holes while trying to follow a papertrail to its conclusion

• Used Other for 2+ years

Powerful and next gen

Reviewed on 2019/03/04

Good and powerful. just don't expect something like salesforce in terms of sheer horsepower. Does most of the things that normal users would and some that power users might. Skips the top of the line statistical and graphical power-utils.

Pros

Quite up keeping with times. Web based interface works like a charm.
Interface is intuitive and responsive. Design is fancy and modern and has an elegant look to it.

Cons

Lack of offline mode for editing. Difficulty in recovering written text in case of accidental browser surfing from keyboard. Auto Save is not there and draft mode is quite difficult to engage at places.
Also, lacks advanced graph and statistical tools to demonstrate team performance as curves and progression in performance improvement versus expectation.

Kristine H.

Great tool that is easy to configure

Reviewed on 2017/10/19

Able to manage benefit administration ourselves and not use a third party. Able to configure the system to what we need.

Pros

Easy to right business rules as needed for many different complex eligibility groups. Very user friendly!

Cons

Reporting in benefits can be tricky - but do-able. I would recommend taking a reporting class before you implement.

Workday for the win!

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

Pros

Workday allowed for us to consolidate and house payroll, benefits, reporting, and all HR functionality.

Cons

The only con is how quickly we were able to partner with workday to on board the touch points we wanted to house in their hub.

Jonny C.

Clunky staff software that makes work a chore

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

Whilst I haven't experienced much software of this type, I can't help but feel there must be far better options than this out there. The clunky design, awful interface, frustrating processes and overall lack of thought into user experience makes WorkDay an unfortunately poor solution for workplace administration.

Pros

There are a lot of features in Workday, if you can find them, and the detail that can be stored and accessed across multiple users is good for things like procurement and staff administration.

Being browser based as well means that there is no need to install anything on individual user devices.

Cons

There is next to no user experience. The journeys to do simple tasks are confusing and there are often seemingly multiple paths to do any task but only one that actually works.

Error messages for not filling something in perfectly will often take you back to the start of the process. If you are using the procurement features, the notifications are sporadic and you will often be left to chase people in your company manually to find out what is going on.

The design and interface is straight out of a warehouse inventory screen, like you'd see on an old beat up computer in the back of a massive warehouse of boxes. Not good and really uninviting to use. Having to do anything with this software feels like a huge chore.

Cody S.
  • Industry: Media Production

A great way to recognize your employees

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Pros

As humans, it's important to us to be recognized for our hard work. A lot of employees will even quit a job if they feel they're not being thanked or recognized for their contributions. This is a great way for employees to say, "Hey, I worked extra hard on so and so and this is what I did to make the project successful." It boosts morale, generally speaking.

Cons

There are SO many features that this software can take a good bit of time to learn. Also, if your HR department isn't on top of updating access, it can be hard to edit or get to some pages you want.

John W.
  • Industry: Defense & Space
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Workday Recruiting will slow down your recruiting and confuse you. Not Intuitive

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

I've been a recruiter for 14 years and this is the second company that I have worked for that has WD Recruiting. I thought I could give it another chance, you know, maybe it would be better than a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it is worse!

Pros

None that I can speak of. I guess it integrates with back office systems, but don't they all. Reporting function is useless.

Cons

Workday is over-engineered, Not intuitive, obviously designed by people who have not recruited! It is confusing for applicants. Simple things like finding an applicants email address require vast navigation. I'm not sure who the people are who rated this product in this article, maybe an outsourced WD office overseas? But, this product will slow down your recruiting team with screen after screen of clicking and unnecessary work-flow. It has it's own Mailbox and notification box that will confuse you and your team even more. Training for the fortune 500 company I work for was a 200 slide deck presentation. After the training we were all just as confused. Stick with Taleo or any other system. Don't listen to people/experts who are not recruiters who think this is a good tool. Take the advice of someone who actually recruits, has used other systems and avoid this piece of crap.

Gokulakrishnan B.

Workday payroll review

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

I enjoy using workday and would recommend it to anyone interested in starting out with it.

Pros

Its very easy to manage payroll reconciliation with workday. There are detailed instruction guides which make it very easy even for a complete beginner to get started with workday.

Cons

Even though it is extremely easy to use and get started, workday requires unnecessary steps to verify documents. I understand that it is needed for verification, but sometimes it can be deviating the user from focusing on the task.

Michael E.
  • Industry: Investment Management

Workday Payroll

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Pros

Workday Payroll makes it incredibly simple to allocate employee pay selections and withholdings

Cons

The simple box design of the multiple choice elections can sometimes require unnecessary scrolling