1 439 reviews

1 439 reviews
Hossein R.
Industry: Graphic Design
Company size: Self Employed

Best time tracker I've ever used

Reviewed on 2020/11/23

I had work by the hour and writing down my time is really frustrating. But in toggl you just need to press a button. And I really like how you can see hours you worked by project or even by the client.

Pros

It has great features like reports. Wich, you can see how many hours you were worked in a day/week/month, on a specific project, or for a specific client.
Its app for desktop and mobile is very easy to use and it reminds you to continue your work or even have a break.

Cons

It's not completely free and the reports feature is only on the browser version.

Bigue N.
Company size: Self Employed

Simply the best time tracking solution freely available for self-employed and freelance

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

Toggl is simply wonderful, very close to perfect to me.

Pros

I was tired of wasting a fortune with paid services just to track the time spent on an handful of tasks when working for my clients. I tried a few solutions out there, but all were paid, loaded with features that I didn't even need, and were a bit of a mess to navigate through just to manage my hours of issue a simple time report.

I'm so glad I found Toggl : the basic free tier offers everything I need, has a sleek interface and is a bliss to use on a daily basis. Just select the project, type what you're doing and hit the "start" button to start tracking. Every previous task has a "start" button, it's as easy as one click to resume work on an existing task ! Editing time entries is as intuitive as editing text, and generating full-fledge, good looking detailed reports by client/project/task type for any time period is as easy as checking a few boxes and selecting the dates.

The free version has everything you need for perfect time tracking for a single person. Simply perfect.

Cons

None, really, apart from a few very minor annoyances I found with the browser UI :
- Some quirks when editing time entries, but you get used to the way the time editing UI works with experience.
- In some specific states, clicking the "start" button has no effect, so you end up not having tracked your time after doing a task. It still happens to me from time to time. This can be annoying, so I have to keep a vigilent eye the status icon (browser tab icon) when I'm working on something.

Agnes J.
Industry: Accounting
Company size: Self Employed

Best price/benefit choice for time tracking

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

Very useful for easy time tracking and quite easy to prepare time reports. Mobile applications support place independent working time tracking. Very useful software/application for time tracking in case of multiple projects and supports time-based billing for clients. As freelancer business consultant I consider this software as one of the most important tool I use especially for remote projects. I also used this tool for time estimating and/or time measuring for process implementation/reorganisation projects
I would highly recommend for everyone who works remotely, bill on time-based or wants to measure time requirement for any purpose.
Overall I am really satisfied with this product, only smaller features would be useful. Currently I use the free version, but I consider to swith advanced versions and pay monthly/yearly fee for it.

Pros

Easy time tracking
Reporting and download reports
Multiplatforms and applications for mobile devices

Cons

Project and task selection/assigment - time consuming task/project selection in case of many tasks
Lack of report variant saving (e.g. saved selection criterias of time reports for clients, projects)

Emilie G.
Industry: Events Services

Very handy tool for keeping track of time spent on multiple projects

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

I love using Toggl to track my time as a freelancer! My clients appreciate that I can give them an exact breakdown of where my time goes, and it helps me maintain focus on my various projects.

Pros

As a freelancer that needs to keep track of my hours spent working for multiple clients and across multiple projects, I LOVE Toggl. I cannot stress enough how much easier this has made it for me to track my time and accurately assess what I'm spending the most time on. I especially love:
- Toggl's free plan includes enough basic features that you can get a good feel for the software without having to commit
- Ability to break down tasks within projects means helps keep timesheets as specific as possible, which my clients appreciate
- Chrome extension is very easy to use, and reminds me to track my time whenever I'm online
- Autotracker and idle time features are both extremely helpful for holding me accountable + keeping my hours accurate

Cons

In my opinion, Toggl is the best time-tracking software on the market right now. That being said, if I had to list potential future improvements:
- As someone that multitasks / hops around between projects pretty regularly, I wish there was a way to run multiple timers at once or otherwise account for this
- Mobile app, while a handy offering, isn't as easy to navigate as the desktop application

Chadsey L.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Super easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/10/17

Wonderful, no real complaints so far and making the switch to Toggl has been great. We have converted most of our team to Togggl and are excited to bring in some of the integrations that come with paid plans to be able to eliminate some of the admin duties and close some of the cracks we find in communication from time to time.

Pros

The lack of ads is wonderful! I use the free version and have found Toggl makes things much simpler for me. The reporting is great and the amount of tools offered in the free version is great. I switched from another product and my reporting of where my time is going has never been more detailed and has helped me keep on track. Tracking time is super quick and easy, especially on task that I do week after week, Toggl stores the information and auto-populates so it saves me those few seconds and gets me working faster. I love it. I also love sending in such a detailed and good looking timesheet each period, way better than just a csv boring spreadsheet. I know we are only scratching the surface with what Toggl can do, hopefully as we grow our Toggl use and team will grow too to be able to streamline even more with their integrations.

Cons

The only thing so far that inconveniences me is the inability to export reports on the Android app. I don't know if that is something that is coming to it eventually, or if that is only available with a different level of plan. But I am 80% of the time mobile and need to send in reports on the go, which isn't too much of a problem that I am always with a laptop. But having to go that extra step does cost me a few minutes here and there. Exporting from mobile would be a huge help.

James Y.

Dead Simple Time Tracking

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

When we get lost in the details and need an objective reality check on where our time is going... Toggle is there to save the day.

Pros

Time tracking shouldn't take a lot of time. It also shouldn't get in the way of what you're trying to do. Toggl doesn't do either - making it the perfect tool if you're looking to stay on top of your day, down to the minute. It's simple to use, allows you track across all your projects and activities and even lets you share reports with others. And it's easy to use. Plus they have an app for any device you can throw at them, which means you have no excuses not to know where you're putting your time and attention.

Cons

The only thing lacking from toggl is a physical button or device integration. There are a few physical time tracking devices out there, but their integrations with Toggl leave a lot to be desired. To be fair though, this isn't Toggl's fault, but rather the maker of the devices - but still... it would be great if Toggle worked closesly with developers using their APIs to ensure that the physical experience of Toggl is just as great as the digital version!

Industry: Computer Software

Toggl was a great way to track our time, until we found something better

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

It was very easy to get staff up and running and trained on how you use the application. We liked the visual indicators to differentiate between projects, and the various views to see daily and weekly progress.
We definitely improved our tracking, and therefore our billing, and the ability to quickly and easily switch to different projects meant there was little to no downtime for our staff.

Pros

Toggl was a great find when we started realizing we needed to do a better job of tracking time. The best features are the easy to use UI, and a display that shows the user a task by task view of how their day progressed, as well as a consolidated weekly view where you can see a more holistic view of where time was spent. The dropdown project selections are very intuitive and when you forget to stop tracking, it is easy to add manual time.

Cons

A downside to adding manual time is that you have to interrupt your time tracking to do it, unless it was earlier in the day. Ultimately, what made us move away from Toggl is that we realized we were paying for multiple tools that were really good at 1-2 things, and we needed a more complete system. We ended up migrating off of Toggl and a few other applications for a more robust project management system that also had a time tracking module, saving the company quite a bit of money in doing so.

Gustavo C.

I can't live without Toggl Track

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

I've been using Toggl for more that two years every day, and it's one of my more useful tools in order to track my working hours on every project and make reports of it. It's a very focused tool that does it very well. It's very flexible, it has integrations with many apps, it offers very good reports and possibility to export them to different formats, and you can manage teams.

Pros

Very flexible, very easy tu use and great reports. It has a nice integration to Jira.

Cons

When I type the task description, the autofill should search for a wider date range.

Jacob T.

Easy and fun to use

Reviewed on 2020/10/31

I've been using Toggle for 2 years since my corporate overlords asked me to keep track of my time usage based on which department I was doing the work for. I hated the idea of spreadsheets and having to manually create, organize and backup Excel files. Thanks to Toggl I never had to do that - I just fire up Chrome on my desktop and goto the Toggle shortcut(or the app on my phone or tablet) and make my time entry. It's easy to visualize the time spent over the week and super easy to fix any mistakes like putting in the wrong date or time. And at the end of the week/month/year I can easily export digestible graphs or spreadsheets that my manager needs. And all of this for free. I love it and wish that they would add Asana-level task management so I can justify paying $10/mo for this awesome tool.

Pros

I love how colorful and approachable Toggl is.

Cons

While not expensive, I still wish the starter app was slightly more affordable for individuals like me who just need basic calendar/tasks integration

Stanislav G.

The Only Time Tracker a Freelancer Needs

Reviewed on 2019/03/02

I've been using Toggl when doing freelance work and have loved it. You can use the desktop client or the web client - they sync in real time. Reports are awesome and my clients love them

Pros

It's very simple to use and provides several tiers to organize time into. The tool allows you to have workspaces and in each workspace you have further breakdowns: client -> project -> task. This allows for very good organization of your time spent and convenient reports, where you can segment time based on each of these criteria. It marks each task with a different highlight color making it easy to identify.
When starting the timer you can either click start and then type your task or project to choose it from a drop down, or you simply scroll through the history of logged entries and just click on any to resume working on it.

Cons

The mobile version didn't have a lot of functionality until recently, but now that is improved.

Samantha T.

Easy to use and very functional time tracker that helped me as a freelance worker

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

easy time tracking and I can easily export my timesheets and send to clients.

Pros

I like that it's free, and even though it is free, the features are functional and you get everything you need for a basic time tracker with reports that can be exported as a PDF or Excel file. I didn't need to purchase the upgrade because I'm a solo user and the features available for the free version are all I really need. I did have a project where I collaborate with a couple other people and again, even on the free version, I was able to use the workspace/team feature with no problems. It made tracking time within the team easy.

Cons

I don't have any issues with Toggl, and have used this for more than 5 years in my line of work and business. I would probably recommend a setting where you can't edit the entries for members of the team, or for non-owners so that the time tracker is accurate and not manipulated.

Maciej S.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

With this software I regained the control of time.

Reviewed on 2017/10/13

I got rid of procrastination and gained control over time.

Pros

Thanks to Toggle I could finally forget about timesheets. It does all the calculations for you. Now I don't start any task without hitting "start" with Toggl. It also helps me to control workload of the entire team.
The speed and ease of use it true. The app is very light and the interface is very minimalist, does not distract and allows you to quickly set the proper parameters.
It improves overall productivity, a lot, and kill procrastination.

Cons

There were several bugs during software development but now it's ok. At the beginning it takes much time to set up everything (projects, clients, etc.), but later it pays off. The reporting could be more automate (like summary+details) and generate more precise file names. I get lost a sometimes when I try to collect monthly reports from the whole team.

Tim S.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Great time tracking tool

Reviewed on 2020/12/11

Pros

I've used this tool for several years as it is the most intuitive and easy to use time tracking software I've seen. The most important thing is it's easy to track time so it is not a burden to use it daily as you go through your tasks.

Cons

No real issues. Would like some reminders if you forget to assign a project on a time entry.

Yagneshkumar P.
Industry: Hospitality

Best time Tracking for Projects/Assignments/Tasks

Reviewed on 2018/06/30

Toggl main benefit for me is the ability to track my time and provide me with visual details on where i spent most of my time during working hours.

Pros

Toggl is one of the best time tracking software out there that i know of, i use Toggl most of all time projects I am involved in for the company i work for. What i like about Toggl is, that is is easy to use the UI is simple and efficient on entering my time spent on a particular projects and such. The web based entry for Toggl shows me the charts and graphs on where i spent my times the most whether if it is projects i worked on or tasks i accomplished, Toggl gives me the broad spectrum of my time spent. Moreover, with just a few clicks i enter in my time, and add couple of notes and done, then Toggl keeps all my data entry any provides my weekly, monthly, and annually graphs and charts. Also Toggle works on multiple platforms so there is no need to worry about which devices are compatible with Toggle.

Cons

One of the major downside of Toggl is that it does not have a screenshot features to where i can take a snapshot of a particular screen and save it with in Toggle.

Company size: Self Employed

Best timer I've found in years!

Reviewed on 2019/03/12

Pros

I am a Virtual IT Admin and since I'm the only person in my company, I've only needed a basic timer. I only have a Toggl free account and honestly have no need or desire to go to a paid account because Toggl gives me everything I need in the free account. One of the best features is that if I forget to turn off my timer, Toggl knows the exact moment when my mouse/keyboard stopped and can track that as idle time to be removed if I want. The reports feature is another beauty. I don't use the Toggl app to invoice my clients but I get full detailed reports that I can download in PDF or CSV for use in my invoicing.

Cons

I know I'm supposed to list a con in this spot but I honestly have nothing negative to say about this app. It's been a lifesaver.

Nawar A.

Toggl Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

Pros

Toggl is one of the easiest solutions to use. it is very easy to add time entries and flexible in switching between projects while adding the time entries.
Reporting is not that bad, we can get almost all the information we need from them.

Cons

Can't add project months for those projects which have both start/end time and number of hours required. So it is little bit hard to track the progress of the projects.
It doesn't have a team scheduling option

Easy, straightforward time tracking

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

Pros

Sometimes when I work, I get distracted and lose track of how much time I've spent on something. Using Toggl has helped me keep better track of how I'm spending my time, so that I can see at a glance what I've been doing and when. I use it for my regular job, so the exact start/end times aren't a huge deal, but I've also used it for contracting work when I need to keep track of each minute I spend on a project for a particular client. Toggl lets you use a combination of projects and clients so that freelancers and contractors can keep track of the various tasks and clients they're doing work for. They also show handy summaries and pie charts of how much of my time I've spent on a particular project, and so on.

Cons

Sometimes I've hit "enter" on the desktop app, assumed it started the timer, and gone off on my merry way, only to find hours later that it hasn't started at all! Usually this is an easy fix for me - I just set the start time for whenever my last timer stopped - but occasional times I've had to do some detective work to see how long ago I actually started working.

Jo S.
Industry: Entertainment

Great if you need to track your time exactly

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

Pros

During Covid many of us are working from home and Toggl is great for tracking your hours. It is easy to use (you can put it on when you start or you can add set times) and you know exactly how long you work on each project. Also many of us work longer hours thank we realise. It is easy to add 10 minutes here for that phone call or something else. I like it because I know I am charging for the time worked, not guestimating the time. Also is it just one click to turn it off when you take a break then just click to start tracking your time again. There are many feature I have not used yet but for basic tracking of time spent on each job it cannot be beaten.

Cons

Like everything about Toggl. No problems.

Daniel W.

The Best Free Time Tracker...Period

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

I've been using Toggl for several years and I've never needed to upgrade (sorry Toggl). It's been the best time tracker for my needs without a bunch of bells and whistles. I can easily track my time with the desktop or mobile app, and organize my work using tags. If you need a simple, but powerful, time tracker, then this is the one to get. You can subscribe to one of their monthly plans if you need additional features like advanced reporting or if you need to add billing rates to your time tracking.

Pros

What I like:
- Unlimited projects and clients for free members
- Desktop and mobile applications that help me track time
- Basic reports to help me see where/how my time is used across client projects
- Robust upgrade path

Cons

What I don't like:
- The desktop client only tracks time. I wish I could manage client and project info as well.

Annabel H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Review of Toggl

Reviewed on 2020/11/02

It helps me to understand how long it takes me to complete individual projects and because I work flexibly I can keep track of my working hours.

Pros

I have used other time keeping software in the past but it was over complicated. I like the simplicity of Toggl - I only need to log my hours and what areas of work I am spending my time on. It is for my own use and helps with time management.

Cons

There was nothing I liked least about this software. I think it's all really good.

Hannah A.

Helpful and easy to use

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

Toggl is super helpful and a critical part of my business. I recommend it to everyone who needs to track their time—whether they're in the business world or not. It's straightforward and easy to use, and also supports integrations such as Zapier, so I can automatically create new clients and quickly track my time.

Pros

It's very easy to track my time and categorize by client. I also like that, with the desktop version, Toggl Track notices if I've been inactive on my computer for a while and will ask if I want to categorize the "idle time" in a different way. This is especially helpful if I forget to stop the timer when I finish a task.

Cons

I would love the timeline feature (where it shows what I was doing throughout the day) were a little more detailed.

Praveen R.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

It is worth getting this app just for time tracking!

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

Pros

We can't underestimate the abilities of this application. It is not just a time tracking software but effectively does it automatically once we set it up correctly. It works seamlessly in all the platforms that ensures we are not loosing any data with out being tracked. Preparing invoices just takes another 2-3 minutes as everything will be easily exported easily. It automatically detects idle time and notifies the user whether to pause the timer and if not responded with in a few minutes, the timer will stop. It ensures not even a minute is not getting wasted! We use the basic free plan.

Cons

In the market there are other expensive project management tools which offers all the services offered by Toggl as just one of it features. So using Toggl just occupies more space on the desktop. If someone already paying for those expensive tool won't use Toggl.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Cheryl N.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Very easy to use and well-organized

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

I am highly satisfied and willing to recommend it to other freelancers who are looking for a reliable time tracker app.

Pros

I love that I can organize all my tasks into one. It is also easy to use even if you are a beginner. I like that you can install the time tracker on Chrome extension as well as on your desktop. I also don't have to check my hours from time to time because it displays the timer on the tabs. In that way, I can see how far I have been working without having to go back and forth to check the app.

Cons

I don't find anything negative in this app. It has been my useful companion and I like it so much! I can filter my time records based on projects or clients which is great and time-saving!

Zefren E.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Product continues to evolve

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

The team and the product is phenomenal. I use it everyday and it helps to look back over the week, month, year and see where the most time resource was spent. It provides you a good idea of how much time to budget for the next project, initiative, or cycle to manage and get team member contributions.

Pros

The product is very easy to setup and start using right away. The product team has continued to build new features, integrations, and user experience gets better with new versions.

Cons

It would be great to have a feature that auto tracks each document and application where you are spending the most time.

Sudeep A.
Industry: Publishing

Simple and effective

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

I was introduced this when I joined my team, but I've used it for personal uses as well. Great for tracking anything really.

Pros

Toggl is super simple. It is literally toggling start and stop. You may enter the task name, assign to a project, give it a colour, share in a team, see day's and week's productivity, etc., but the core function is just a simple start and stop. It can also be integrated in some other places like project management websites.

Cons

There's not much to not like, to be honest. I wish it would have alarms. "You have worked over 8 hours on this project, which is beyond the time you set for yourself, so wrap it up." or something like that.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10