Crazy Egg Reviews

Crazy Egg

Make the Most of Every Website Visitor.

4.5/5 (54 reviews)
Greg D.

Crazy Egg Shows Me What's Hot On My Website!

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

I get specific, measurable data about how my audience uses my website on a daily basis. I get recordings of real-time visits from customers. I get excellent split testing functionality with thorough analytics that I can use to tailor my content to my visitors.

Pros

What I like most about Crazy Egg is that it offers me clear information about how people use my sight. It's one thing to design a site based upon how you think people will use it or even how they use others like it. It's another thing all together to know exactly how they use it, so you can constantly improve it.

By giving me a heat map of my users' experiences, Crazy Egg makes it possible to see which elements of my site are working and which ones need improvement. At a glance, I can see which buttons get clicked the most, how far the average person scrolls down the page, and the order in which people read my content. That's valuable stuff!

Crazy Egg goes a step further, though. It provides recordings of real visits from people, so I can watch as they tour my site. This let's me see the traffic pattern that potential customers are taking around my pages. By looking at how visitors tour my site, I can begin to notice patterns in their behavior and make sure that I'm always delivering what they want where they want it.

As if all this wasn't enough, Crazy Egg also offers the ability to A/B Split test my pages. Now, there are lot of applications that will split test things, but I've not found one that does it as reliably and as thoroughly as Crazy Egg. The data it provides makes split testing quick and simple.

Cons

Honestly, there's not much to dislike with Crazy Egg. It's a specialized tool for a specific job which means that it will be one of many such tools in your tech stack. And even though it has affordable price points, it's still one more thing you have to pay for. that's just the way online marketing is moving these days. I use a full automation platform and I still have Crazy Egg, because my platform doesn't do what Crazy Egg does. Maybe one day there will be a platform that does everything, but for now I'll keep using Crazy Egg.

Elaine S.

A helpful tool but becoming buggy

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

We've learned a lot about how our visitors interact with different pages on our website - they tend to click on every image even if it doesn't appear to link to anything, so we've learned to link more images than we used to. Mobile visitors tend to scroll a ton and just stop a few key places to skim, so we've learned to push that most important content higher up on the page so they don't have to scroll and skim so much.

Pros

CrazyEgg provides all kinds of helpful insights about the particular pages you decide to track. You can see how far users are scrolling down your page - which gets really interesting on mobile, because you can see how they scroll right past certain sections and focus on others, which can help you improve page layout. You can also see where people are clicking - including "non-clickable" elements, like images, so you then know you should link not just text but also an image. There's also a spreadsheet of everywhere people have clicked, so you can view the data however it's most comfortable to you.

You can track both publicly accessible pages and password-protected ones; you just have to install a browser extension to capture initial screenshots of protected pages.

Cons

Over the past year I've noticed bugs creeping in. I set up snapshots and they just remain in "pending" status. It's happened so many time I now have to create a calendar reminder to check back in 6-8 hours and make sure my snapshots have all started. Customer support has not been able to determine why this happens or provide any resolution.

The other downside is you only get data on the specific pages you track, and they've now added the ability to split out mobile vs. tablet vs. desktop, so if you want to see how visitors on different devices act differently, that will eat up 3 snapshots for every URL. Nice data to have, it's just very limited, so you have to plan out which pages you're going to track and rotate to really make headway on your site.

Joshua T.

Crazy Egg nails user experiance

Reviewed on 2019/05/04

Every time we sign a new client we recommend crazy egg as an option, and every time a client uses it we almost always end up use the user data to suggest changes that helps improve the conversion rates on the site.

Pros

The level of information you get from this software is insane. Being able to tell if users are clicking on something expecting a link has made a huge difference in how we design and review websites. That alone has helped us create a better funnel to get users to convert.

Cons

There really wasn't much I didn't like about the software, I felt the customer service was a little slow at times. Other than that this is a really great piece of software to help improve the overall experience on your site.

The tool is generally ok but for split testing it didn't really work for us

Reviewed on 2018/11/21

Pros

We've used the tool for several years, generally for split testing - to help us evaluate different designs of a page. It offers heatmaps, click maps - on which elements the users clicked, where they usually reach down scrolling.

Cons

It worked well for several years, but then it became buggy. Some of the snapshots didn't record any visits or recorded far less visits than the other page variant. Which is a problem, since the traffic was distributed evenly between both page variants. I don't think it's something we did, because on some snapshots it worked well, on others not so well. That's why we switched to another tool.

Also, if you want to monitor desktop and mobile, you should create separate snapshots for each device.

Response from Crazy Egg

We are sorry you had a bad experience toward the end of your time with Crazy Egg. There are some great tools in the market and we hope you've found one that's working well for you. Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback. We'll learn from it.

6.0/10

Love it!

Reviewed on 2018/07/04

Pros

I really like how everything works in Crazy Egg, I make snapshots of almost every page on our website on desktop and mobile, and this helps our developers and designers greatly. It has the ability to view the snapshots in heatmap, scrollmap, and confetti showing where users came from. It is super helpful and works smoothly. Totally recommend for all who are not using it yet, it's a treasure :)

Cons

I think I would love to have a feature to download all the snapshots when they are ready to my computer. Because I make screenshots and it's not very convenient.

John R.

Simple heat tracking made site usage easy to analyse

Reviewed on 2018/03/11

It was easy to work with non-technical colleagues to understand site engagement and work on practical redesigns.

With services like Google Analytics, you're looking at very dry (though useful) data. To discuss websites on a marketing and engagement level, and to assess "your message", it's great to collect real data overtime and instantly share with your colleagues.

Pros

There are a variety of heatmaps that you can you to easily demonstrate website engagement and take away a quick overview of information.

Cons

It's difficult to pin down some dynamic content on pages. Sliders and hidden objects DO appear in the detailed heatmaps and tables of links, but it takes some work to understand what is being clicked on depending on the complexity of the website.

7.0/10

Best heatmapping tool out there

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

We did find it to be the best overall, with easy setup in tag manager and no extremely excessive adverse effects on page or site speed. Great for when you need insights and A/B tests.

Pros

It is extremely effective in getting an understanding of what's working and what's not on individual pages of your website. While Google analytics might be great for a top level view of what content is working and what's not, Crazy Egg is best for getting more granular and seeing what individual elements of page draw attention and which don't.

Cons

It would be better if there were more ways to view attention and heat maps visually. If you could integrate mouse movements to the basic heat map that would be better. Annual pricing only is also a sticking point.

Response from Crazy Egg

Thanks for your feedback. We just launched a tool to help link attention to engagement and I'd love to talk to you more about what you're looking for and how we can help. I've shared my email address with you and please don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks again for taking the time to share feedback here.

Talmage E.

Hands down the simplest tool for Conversion Rate Optimization

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

It helped me improve my conversion rates.

Pros

Crazy egg is easy to install and very intuative to navigate and explore. I like it's simplicity. Its not one of these end all CRO or SEO tools, it focuses on user experience on a basic level. With that said, it's very valuable. I love the confetti view where I can see where my visitors are clicking and where I might be losing them. Their customer service is also top notch.

Cons

The heat map and confetti map seem very similar to me. I'm not sure if they are just different ways of displaying the same data or if they offer something unquie.

Jason B.

Good Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 2018/05/30

Pros

This tool really does help you optimize your website if you know how to use it. I am a pretty experienced marketer and I use Crazy Egg for many of the businesses I work with to make sure customers are clicking on the things that I need them to.

Cons

Crazy Egg is a good tool but the one bad thing about it is the fact that you cannot just put their snippet in your header and then see a heat map on any page on your site. It only lets you choose a specific number of pages that you can set up. If they kept the price low and allowed you to see a heat map on every page then it would be much much better.

Chris C.

A great conversion optimization tool!

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Pros

If you haven't used a tool like Crazy Egg in the past, you're about to be blown away. The data that you can get from this tool is crazy helpful and a little scary! You can use the heatmap data to adjust content, landing pages, conversion funnels, and so much more.

Cons

Price. It is more expensive than competing software tools (like Hotjar). I recommend that you compare the features and price before selecting one.

Response from Crazy Egg

Hi Chris, Thanks for your feedback. I appreciated all the details and thank you for your feedback on pricing. We pride ourselves on being the first and the most accessible and approachable -- but also, the most cost effective. I'd love to understand why you believe Crazy Egg is more expensive than our competitors (there are some differences on how folks in our peer group sample and communicate what they're actually capturing and tracking for you). If you're interested in discussing, we'd love to learn more (no pressure outside of learning your POV). I've shared my contact information with you if you're up for it. Thanks again!

Sarah B.

Crazyegg Heatmaps are Okay - their Recordings option holds more value

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

+Easy to set up (just dropping a tag on the site or pages you want)

+Easy to run heatmaps, scroll maps, confetti maps, and automate the reports (takes 2 minutes)

+Easy to filter out internal traffic (set at the Crazyegg account level)

Cons

Heatmaps and scroll maps are only mildly useful for how users interact with your website. Crazyegg's Recordings feature is more useful in viewing how users navigate the site but this is an extra cost.

It would be helpful if they offered additional information such as trends. Eg, month-over-month % of traffic clicking X button change.

Response from Crazy Egg

Hi Sarah! Thanks for this review. We appreciate your feedback on our Recordings (we continue to update that product line). We've also got some exciting things happening on the Snapshots side (heatmaps, scroll maps). Given your POV, I'd love to talk to you and invite you to participate in some early testing we're doing.

I've shared my information with you directly in the event you are interested. Looking forward to doing more to meet your needs here.

James P.

It does what it's meant to do, and that's show how people interact with your site

Reviewed on 2017/12/28

I was able to see exactly how people were interacting with my site.

Pros

This is a fairly simple tool that does an incredibly important task - it shows you how people interact with your site. This includes how far down people are scrolling, where they're clicking, and where their mouse is going on the screen. In addition to heat maps, Crazy Egg also has a video recording tool so you can literally see, in real time, what people are doing on your site. If you have a sales page or an opt-in page, this can help you identify areas of improvement.

Cons

I don't really have any negative things to say about Crazy Egg. One thing that I have noticed, however, is that when you're using the video recording tool on a webpage that contains video, you cannot see the video being played. So if you have a sales page with a video sales letter on it, you cannot identify when people are leaving the page.

Jack C.

The software to use when searching UX Design problems

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

If your website does not convert as it should, this is the software to use. You can take out the guessing from the equation using their charts, funnels and recordings of real people using your website.
The implementation was painless with just a javascrypt code, and all the dashboard is very intuitive.

Cons

Live customer session can be a bit unpractical, with some pages not being showed, they should work more on this, but the bottom line is great.

Response from Crazy Egg

Thank you Jack! We really appreciate the feedback. Your feedback on "Live Customer Session" is something we're working on. If you're open to discussing this more, I've sent you my contact information. We love working with the people who use Crazy Egg to improve the experience. Thanks for your note here.

Heather S.

Provides nteresting insights about your website and it's users

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/09/13

I implemented this before we started a website redesign so that we could see what should stay and what shouldn't. I also used it on the new site and then tweaked our designs based on the info.

Pros

The data that you get is quite interesting and you can use it to tweak your pages. Easier to understand that Google Analytics. Visual results

Cons

Could be a bit easier to implement and use on the admin side.

Response from Crazy Egg

Hi Heather, Thanks for this feedback and we're happy Crazy Egg was helpful to you on multiple occasions. We especially appreciate the suggestions on ways we can improve the product (implementation, administration). They are all top priorities for this year (and ongoing).

If you have any other ideas or suggestions, or need any additional assistance, don't hesitate to contact our Success team ([email protected]). We're always here to listen and learn.

Sujith K.

Get your business growing with Crazyegg

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

Pros

The simplicity of the software. Doesn't require rocket science to get used to it. Features such as heatmap a/b offered at a low cost would really help a startup take the next step in the right direction. The data from heat map is quite useful for decision making and analysis. Though there are a lot of software with greater functionality and integration. It is best to use this one for beginners

Cons

Nothing specific to the software but using A/b and not letting the same user view a variation for the test by all possible means expect device change would be a real AI work for this tool and differentiate from the rest

Stephanie R.

CrazyEgg helps us evaluate web traffic for public site and to determine marketing tests.

Reviewed on 2017/07/12

We use it to evaluate page performance on our website and develop tests based on user intent and clicks. We use it for both PPC and SEO testing, and it's a regular tool for our marketing team.

Pros

I like the variance in views. It's not just heatmap software with the red to blue hues, it also shows confetti view - a breakdown of actual clicks on the page and where that traffic originated. You can see by a device, by a browser, by Adwords campaign, by country.... I'm partial to that view. Plus, it also shows you real-time visitors to your site.

Cons

I question some of the click reliability, as some "clicks" are likely people scrolling on the page, because so many of the clicks are in dead zones on the page. That can skew the numbers a bit, in my experience, so ultimately it's a tool to get a nice general sense, but it's not well designed for reporting accuracy.

7.0/10

Great software and price - helps you uncover how to improve your website

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

Overall, this is essential software for anyone taking the UX of their website seriously.

If you want to provide great experiences for your online customers then Crazy Egg will help you uncover exactly where to do this on your website. You'll learn what areas need to change or be removed, and what areas/elements are working well.

Pros

The heatmap (snapshots) feature.

The heatmap shows where users lose interest in a page and drop off.

The clickmaps show when users click elements that aren't clickable, or when they don't click elements you want them to click.

These features have enabled a data-led approach to refining client web-pages and improving their performance.

Cons

There really isn't anything I dislike about this software. It's powerful and priced fairly. Customer Support was also very responsive.

Affordable User Behavior/User Insights Tool; Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/03/10

Pros

* The insights that Crazy Egg can give marketers, designers, and developers is worth the (reasonable) price.
* Easy set up; Google Tag Manager installation is easy.
* At times, it can be difficult to provide less technical team members or management with insights through raw data, but the visual component that Crazy Egg can provide makes life a lot easier.
* Affordable
* Your designers and developers are creating mock ups for future redesigns based on actual user data.

Cons

* Having to delete snapshots because I've hit my max and export/save all the corresponding user data gets tedious; this adds up quick especially if you want to analyze both the mobile view and desktop view of your pages.

Danielle O.

Great tool to detect UX issues on your site!

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/12/15

My go-to tool for UX analysis but most of our clients aren't willing to pay.

Pros

Can really drill down to see how users are navigating your website - i.e. tracks scrolls/clicks. This is then really useful data that you can use to improve your website and encourage conversions. You can also get a months free trial which is great.

Cons

Feels a little overpriced i.e. the packages vary massively in terms of tracking number of visitors.

Response from Crazy Egg

Hi Danielle,

Great feedback. We recently updated our pricing with a goal of increasing the value within each package. I'd love your feedback and if we're still missing the mark -- let us know.

Amazing heat map tool

Reviewed on 2019/02/20

Great tool to identify painpoints of the UX of a website. Used it for testing

Pros

Very easy to use! Insights are easy to read and understand. Great visual reports. Very useful in daily management of websites’ ux

Cons

Sometimes when downloading several reports at the same time not all of them were downloded

Response from Crazy Egg

Thank you for the kind response and for your commitment to our product. We have some exciting new things in the works and I've sent you a message directly to see if you'd be interested in learning more about what we're working on and sharing your experience so we can keep getting better.

Incredibly Beneficial for Understanding Your Website's Audiences and Use

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/06

The support is great, the product is highly useful - especially in tandem with other audience analytics you may need clarity on - and the user experience is top notch.

Pros

The insight into the way your users move through and interact with your website is incredible. The software is generally easy to use and, if you're careful about the conclusions you draw from the data you aggregate, can be incredibly powerful. We've used this software to help multiple clients make small but critical changes to their user paths and see fantastic results because of it.

Cons

It can be very easy to take the colorful maps produced out of context and make generalizations about your audience. Definitely use the testing feature in the software and keep in mind the numbers you're working with (i.e. if you're testing 1,000 users on a page, be sure to test another thousand a month later, etc)

Jorden B.

Crazy Egg Is Like A Spy Camera For Your Website

Reviewed on 2018/12/31

Crazy Egg helps me make informed descions on what to have on my site and what's working or not. In my opinion this is really a ninja tool! I wish the setip was eaiser and they had a wordpress plugin though.

Pros

Obviously, I like the heat map feature the most. It gives you a visual perspective of where your visitors actually click. You are able to see where and the frequency of where people are going to your site. This allows you to make informed descions on what to have on your sales pages based on user experience.

Cons

I wish they would have a wordpress plugin.

Sometimes the software gets buggy and the snap shots don't work correctly. I have used other heat mapping tools but this one is probably the best you'll find.

Response from Crazy Egg

Jorden, Thanks for the review and the great summary of how we help. We do have a WordPress plugin (and have for some time). You can find it here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/crazyegg/

Great product, has all though it has a lot more potential

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

My overall experience with Crazy Egg has been great, they have definitely hit the nail on the head for heat mapping however there is a lot of room for improvement in other areas.

I have been using Crazy Egg for almost 3 years and haven't seen a huge amount of improvement.

Looking forward to seeing any future changes.

Pros

Simple heat mapping
Has the ability to export heat maps
Has a feature to add additional users to the project
Tracking code doesn't noticeably impact load time

Cons

It could be a bit cleaner on the system especially in the heat map pages
A WordPress plugin would be nice
Live tracking ( ability to track how long they were on the page for before clicking or exiting )

6.0/10
Sam G.

Nice heatmaps providing useful engagement data

Reviewed on 2015/09/22

Crazy Egg is a very useful tool that allows you to get a better understanding of how your users are engaging with your website, offering much more than a standard Analytics package.

You can easily find out where your users are clicking on your pages using heatmaps, with several designs to give you a great visual.

Using this data I've been able to make informed decisions on where to place buttons/links to attract the most attention, as well as understanding which areas of the pages are getting the most attention.

You can track up to 100 pages at a time (with a pro account). Plans start from $9 per month with a basic account, which is perfect for individuals with small websites, but large sites or agencies can choose the $19/$49 or $99 plan.

Pros

Great price plans covering all audiences (individuals to agencies)
easy to use
heatmaps with extra data to understand the number of clicks on each element of your page
ability to track several pages across a number of domains (great if you run more than one website)

Cons

I was unable to create white label reports which is a shame

Cody J.

Great product and customer support is fantastic

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Pros

- great features
- reasonable pricing
- fantastic customer support

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. Since they have the free trial, you can always try it out and cancel if you don't like it within 30 days.