I think it's fair to say that Kissmetrics alongside Mixpanel are the 2 best tracking and leads analysis tools right now and for us, Kissmetrics won the competition for having a more accurate tracking tools and better pricing for a B2C company.
Generally these apps are made for B2B companies and therefore their pricing won't make sense for B2C since the total number of events they track easily impacts the price.
It takes a long time to implement it correctly especially if you have a complicated website with too many different events and properties.
They do help you to implement it but after it's done, you pretty much need to take care of new events tracking yourself. (Though, their support team still help you if you ask them questions)
There are certain limitations to it too:
- AdWords' dynamic tracking can't be reach by Kissmetrics. So if someone clicks on your AdWords ad, Kissmetrics only tells you it's Google. It can't tell you which ad group or ad it is coming from. Unless of course you deactivate the dynamic tracking and manually put the old UTM trackings for each ad in place.
- If you are doing Facebook Lead Ads, you should know since the lead conversion is happening outside of your main website, you can't store that information with the cookie attached to it to Kissmetrics or any other event tracking software.
- Kissmetrics says they have a good Salesforce integrations but it's not as smooth as you think it is. First of all, it's like an iframe within your SF and second of all, you can't do reporting within Salesforce regarding the Kissmetrics data. Their team says Kissmetrics should be the only place for your BI team to do reporting from.
All these aside, I still believe Kissmetrics is the best event tracking app out there with amazing pricing.
Thе іmрlеmеntаtіоn wаsn’t аn іntuіtіvе рrосеss. Fоr іnstаnсе, оnсе, wе stорреd wоrkіng tо thіnk аnd fіnd thе dіffеrеnсе bеtwееn sеvеrаl tуреs оf lіnks (lіnk оf thе соnvеrsіоn раgе аnd lіnk оf dеstіnаtіоn). Hоwеvеr, thе vеndоr рrоvіdеd us wіth еssеntіаl hеlр, sо wе рrеttу sооn bесоmе іnvоlvеd іn thе рrоgrаm.
Wіth thе Kіssmеtrіс’s hеlр, wе саn sоlvе рrоblеms соnnесtеd wіth соnvеrsіоn аnd рrоvіdіng sеrvісе fоr оur сustоmеrs. Aftеr thе lеаrnіng сurvе, thе ассеss tо thе nееdеd dаtа іs vеrу sіmрlе аnd соmрlеtеlу еffоrtlеss. Thіs аllоws рrоvіdіng аnаlуsіs оf thе wоrkflоw, fоr іnstаnсе, bеttеr аnd fаstеr. Whаt іs mоrе, Kіssmеtrісs іs hеlрful іn A/B tеstіng аs wеll. Wе аrе рlеаsеd thаt thіngs саmе rоund аs thеу dіd, аnd wе раіd аttеntіоn tо Kіssmеtrісs. Wіth thе hеlр оf thіs sоlutіоn, wе mаnаgеd tо еxрlоrе thе раth whісh оur usеrs gо thrоugh bеfоrе buуіng аnd tо fіnd wеаk роіnts іn thе funnеl. Wе іdеntіfіеd thе рrоblеmаtіс mоmеnts whісh rеsultеd іn lоsіng thе lаrgеst реrсеntаgе оf usеrs, аnd wе орtіmіzеd іt. And rеаllу sооn, wе іnсrеаsеd оur соnvеrsіоn bу fіftееn реrсеnt.
Wе fееl lіkе іt wоuld bе mоrе usеful іf thе usеr іntеrfасе wаs mоrе іntuіtіvе іn usе. Hоwеvеr, еvеrуthіng саn bе lеаrnеd, аnd аftеr lеаrnіng, thе unfrіеndlу іntеrfасе іsn’t suсh а bіg рrоblеm, but stіll. Wе bеlіеvе thаt thіs рrоblеm саn bе еаsіlу рrеvеntеd. But thеrе іs оnе lіttlе dеtаіl. On thе оnе hаnd, thе sеrvісе іs соnstаntlу bеіng іmрrоvеd, аnd іt іs аwеsоmе, wіthоut а dоubt. On thе оthеr hаnd, thеу аlsо сhаngе thеіr usеr іntеrfасе, nоt сrіtісаllу, but іt tаkеs tіmе tо fіnd thе nесеssаrу fеаturеs оnсе аgаіn.
For marketing, it has been eye opening. We're able to track all marketing efforts online and strategize accordingly. We've been amazed at what actually performed and what didn't. Eye opening data!
The amount of data it appends and tracks is amazing. We're able to see which prospects are visiting which pages, and the conversion process. This has helped cultivate our marketing messages per audience, as well as track over the course of three years. Historical data has been valuable to compare if our interpretation of the data is accurate. Needless to say, we have been very pleased!
Some of the data isn't easy to summarize but that is really the lease of our concerns.
- Easy to use UI
- Different report types to track conversion, behaviors, populations
- Easy access to information
- Metrics dashboard (you can add s many as you need, and it appears in the first page)
- Scheduled report are great help
- Cohort reports could be enhanced
- You can't sort out info by week number (you have to manually set the dates if you need a weekly report, quick fix with a formula once you export the info)
I started using Kissmetrics, cause I had data that I was looking for that wasn't available through Google Analytics. The initial implementation was ok, but than I realized that the data was not correct since the integration with other tools I used, such as Unbounce didn't work smoothly.
I didn't have enough guidance to learn that, but only realized things in advance. Their support was ok, but it took them too much time to coordinate a talk with them to solve all issues, and there were always other issues I had to discover after the previous ones were solved.
- difficult to install and require a lot of work
- integration with other tools isn't complete
Kissmetrics does a good job helping you get the data you need to understand your customers and their behaviors on your site
Customized data means customized marketing campaigns that increase your conversions and reduce your churn
Others may feel differently but my experience has not been ideal. I can say that this has been a mistake for my company. Just double-check terms and make sure there are processes in place to try and make Kissmetrics a success internally, because they won't help.
I'll revise when I find a something I like.
- No transparency with their billing. They sign you up with page limits, if you go over, 0 communication and then they just send charges. They should have processes in place on their end so that customers CANT exceed the limits they paid for.
- Sales team promises training while trying to sell. Their training stinks.
- Bad customer support. No phone numbers to be found, slow to respond to requests.
- Their terms are shady, make sure to read everything. They don't use signed contracts to cover themselves in any event.
- Slow interface with an average UX
- Very powerful visulaizations options
- The product is very simple to use and a wide range of metrics that can be analyzed
- Integration with other tools is not very use
- The UI is not very intuitive
Previously when we could not drag-drop funnel step was one of the big drawbacks of Kissmetrics, but recently they upgraded their UI, which is a lot better now. I wouldn't have to remove all steps and to re-add them. Now I can rearrange the steps on the go. I also like that I can apply more attributes and filters in my reports. There are still rooms for improvement in the UI. You can also fire unlikited attributes from the app.
Forget Google Analytics. Kissmetrics gives you the metrics that really matter for your business. For me the big difference is that I can see actual people that did actions on my site instead of page views. The tools is very powerful and you can create custom reports to keep a constant eye on your business progress.
Persons vs page views.
The metrics dashboard.
Deep analysis of your user base.
Timeline of events a user did.
When trying to create any basic funnel report (where you DO need more than one column of properties), they will charge extra to give you basic features.
It's quite limited analytics tool when trying to have aggregated data.
User path is a cool tool
Too slow, most of reports you need to export them and this takes forever (they email you once the report is ready)
I enjoy the customization options and the fact that the platform can help you guide visitors to places on the page you'd like them to visit.
Initial setup can be a little confusing and the UI can be confusing at points but not a deal-breaker.