Flow

Project management software tool.

Very simple featured communication and task management tool for startup

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Pros

- The UI is very minimalistic and can be used to maintain the standard for the application
- The same subscription contains both the task and team chat.

Cons

- The pricing is not startup friendly. They dont have a free version in the application.
- The app onboarding process can be omproved.

Kim

Intuitive project management for teams

Reviewed on 2017/06/15

It's easier to delegate tasks. It's easier to decide what to do next. It's easier to know what other team members are working on.

Pros

Flow is beautiful to look at, which makes it enjoyable to use, an important factor to consider when trying to get an entire team on board.

After looks, speed is next most important thing for us. With flow you can input a task very quickly and very easily. Adding a new task without having to move the mouse and only by using the tab key is a powerful feature. Also, you are never more than 2 clicks away from seeing all the details you need about a project or task.

We're also fans of the Getting Things Done approach to task management. Flow is one of the best collaborative tools to help follow that methodology. Asana is arguably better, but it is so weak in the way it displays the list of projects, that we moved to Flow's premium monthly fee away from Asana's free option.

Thirdly, reviewing and managing projects has to be intuitive. For that you need to be able to see an overview of your projects and organize them in a way that makes sense to you. Flow gets it mostly right there. Being able to group projects is a great feature.

Fourthly, what does it looks like to be notified that a new task has been delegated to you? Some people prefer to be notified by email. Flow's email is clear and easy to scan through, which was especially important to our visually impaired team member. Flow has many ways to notify users, which is crucial. It is crucial to be able to use a task management tool in a way that makes sense to you.

Cons

For us, Flow could probably improve in the following areas:
- Keeping discussions separate from tasks and projects so that they can be retrieved later. "What did we say about that thing???"
- Deeper integration of the Getting Things Done principles, with an easy way to add estimated energy required to perform that task, how much time it would require and what context it needs to be performed in ("Do I need to be at my desk to do this thing?," "Remind me to pick up notepads when I am running errands", etc.)

• Industry: Insurance
  • Used for 6-12 months

There are much better project management tools out there

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

Using Flow made my team and I realize we needed a much more simple and straightforward project management platform. We were disorganized with Flow as more than half the team boycotted using it, due to its complexity.

Pros

I didn't like anything about this software when my team was using it. The goal was to get all of us on board and using the software on a regular basis, but so many of us found it confusing to navigate. I consider myself fairly tech savvy so that says a lot about the platform. I'm so glad we since moved to a different program.

Cons

The interface is boring and difficult to manage, especially compared to so many other project management tools out there. With such a competitive market, you're better off using something else.

Julia

Perfect Fit For Our Team

Reviewed on 2017/08/17

Pros

When I started with the team everything was tracked on a Google Sheet, in iCal and important information for events were always needing to be "dug out" of email chains or found on some miscellaneous scrap paper. Flow has definitely improved daily processes for me personally to ensure every detail is being handled for each event scheduled. I think it has helped my boss know what is going on at quick glance whenever he would like as well. The natural ease of communication with the team about tasks/projects/events is a great feature. Instead of doing something and reporting that it has been done Flow notifies anyone who is subscribed, this is a time saver. It is easy to set up repeat projects, which is great for our team because the same template of to-do's is used for every event. We have even added our event sponsors as users, we use to do back and forth emails about every event and inevitably the ball would drop. Flow has eliminated that by offering an easy to access place for everyone to see all of the information, which is huge. The great thing about Flow is that has the foundation to meet whatever needs you may have to get and stay organized.

Cons

I think most businesses are working with clients on a daily basis. I find myself feeling bogged down at times with keeping contact information/notes in the CRM system and then having to transfer it to Flow when an event is scheduled so the other team members are able to easily access it when needed. I would love to see a CRM integration be a feature available in the future!

Alex

More streamlined than Trello, much easier than Jira, much faster than Asana

Reviewed on 2017/01/25

We used Flow at Shaken.com (a 10-person ecommerce startup) for over a year and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately we ended up closing the business, but I often recommend Flow to new clients.

It's not a solution for *everyone*, but that's exactly why we liked it. Trello had become unwieldy (due dates were getting missed, I was spending more time organising than working, notification overload etc.) and I've used Asana + Jira before and they're awful. Flow is more opinionated about how to manage tasks and communication, and we found it to really improve our workflow. We were working on a LOT of parallel projects and it was great for keeping things organised and not missing deadlines.

We had a couple of teething issues (mostly trying to adapt our old workflows to the new tool) and the support was great. That's why I'm here writing a review there's a really nice team behind this that deserves some praise.

Pros

* An effective workflow
* Helped us manage lots of parallel projects
* Less time spent organising, more time working
* Good support

Cons

* It took us a while to try and bend it in different ways, I recommend reading about why features work the way they do - it'll make things a lot clearer.

Response from Flow Technologies

Thank you for the thoughtful review.

Matt

Clean, Efficient & Essential

Reviewed on 2017/01/25

We have a smaller company and was looking for a task management system that didn't feel too heavy for our needs. Flow allows you to choose how you want to manage projects without overloading you with half-useful features, unnecessary graphics or "clever" copy throughout (lookin' at you Basecamp). Software with "personality" wastes time, we just want to get our work done.

Everybody uses Flow differently but that's the great thing, you make it yours. That's what we did and it just keeps getting better.

Pros

It's clean, simple to understand, customizable for your needs and they consistently make smart improvements without changing the focus of the product.

Cons

I'd like the ability to view recent attachments and links which have been posted all in one place. Like a "is this what you were looking for?" kind of feature.

Aziz

Extremely robust team-oriented task management

Reviewed on 2017/09/21

Pros

We used to use Any.do for task management because we loved how easy it was to schedule tasks but their platform would lag and it was unsettling to think that there may be bugs that cause us to lose our tasks. Flow's platform is solid, super fast/responsive, I haven't seen a bug since we started using it almost a year ago. Their task scheduling is super easy and the way the UI is structured makes it easy for us to know exactly what needs to be done when. The task assignment functionality is perfect. The best part for us is that the entire platform is scalable, you could use it for a team of 3 or 300, Customer Service or Product Development, Financial Services or Marketing, Flow is super adaptable.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about Flow, I was about to say that if there is one thing that I would add it would be administrative controls to customize the out-of-the-box "Favorites" list but I just went in and realized I can do that too.

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Good product that needs a few more features

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I like what the team has done, but I also feel like development has stalled out a bit. There have been a few fixes and small enhancements since I started using the product, but I haven't seen any new features or upgrades during that time. I really like the way Flow has approach the design and navigation for the tool, but I think we need to see more in the future.

Pros

The UI is very pleasing on the eye. One might say that everything flows well together (I'll see myself out). But seriously, I think that the team spent a lot of time focusing on ease of use, and everything just feels nice. There are a lot of features out of the box that are good for an individual user as well as teams.

Cons

It's not that flexible. If you use flow the way the creators want you to, then you're in great shape. If you want to go outside that setup though, you start to run into walls. Two features that I think are needed to bring this product to the next level: 1) custom fields, and 2) advanced searches that can be saved. You can filter a list by tag, keyword, even project color. But you can't filter using boolean OR or NOT logic. Everything is an AND, which limits the way tags can be used to raise issues to the top. And I need custom fields to track data points that maybe don't fit in one of the predefined categories.

Mark
Mark

A bit clunky, but does the job as a task management tool for teams

Reviewed on 2018/07/23

Pros

It's a capable task management system that checks all the boxes. You can tag other users to loop them in and assign tasks, you can set up subtasks underneath projects, leave comments, etc. It's also cheap for small teams.

Cons

It's particularly lacking in ease-of-use. I feel like things always take me a little longer than they should in Flow because I'm not sure where to go in the app. If I were more seasoned using it, that would be less of an issue, but it speaks to a need to improve the UX if it's not clear how to do things naturally.

I don't think it's better than Asana at anything, and Asana is free for up to 15 people.

• Industry: Design

Easy to use project management software.

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

Pros

Flow is great for organizing teams effectively, on a smaller scale. The cost is great for what you get. It is easy to use and well organized!

Cons

The interface got a bit less user friendly with the latest update. It took me a while to get oriented again. I would recommend a single home page that displays all notifications, chats and everything in one easy to read place - like a newsfeed.

Geoff
  • Industry: Graphic Design

The Best Tool For Small Teams

Reviewed on 2017/04/25

My team has evaluated dozens of tools and we keep coming back to Flow. The biggest difference over other project management software options, is that everyone actually uses this. Flow's UI makes sense, the experience is comfortable and intuitive, and the organization of information fits with how teams work. I couldn't speak more highly about any other tool my team regularly uses.

Pros

Ease-of-use; Simple to understand and utilize, but the right mix of features to effectively manage a range of projects

Cons

Slow to integrate with 3rd party tools and software

Connie

Always great service and value.

Reviewed on 2017/05/22

Pros

Love how it keeps my team organized! It's so easy to assign tasks, move them around - and see all activities at a glance.

Cons

The iPhone app is buggy and doesn't work as well as the Desktop app. It doesn't refresh and show current tasks all the time.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Flow is an absolute joy to use and organize work

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Brings the insanity of organization creative work into clear, succinct focus.

Brings the insanity of organization creative work into clear, succinct focus.

Pros

The Projects view that allows work to be grokked from a birds-eye view without losing the tactical, fine-grained focus.

Cons

I wasn't a fan of their team chat feature but they've pivoted in their latest iteration to focus on Projects.

Nick
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Our team lives in flow. It is what keeps us organized.

Reviewed on 2017/06/01

Pros

The cloud-based file sharing gives us a TON of storage and allows us to access files from anywhere to keep projects moving.

Cons

The search function is an area of opportunity. It often pulls irrelevant results and finding old projects is too clumsy.

Daniel
  • Used for 1+ year

Atrocious Refund Policy

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

My biggest complaint with Flow is the refund policy---they SIMPLY WILL NOT RETURN YOUR MONEY. I lead a small non-profit and our subscription was renewed by accident after we realized we needed a more robust task management platform. I reached out to Flow for some grace but they offered nothing. Instead we lost a full year of licensing for 10 people, $954.00 in total.

Pros

The software is basic and easy to use. I also like that it is web-based.

Cons

The features, especially for tracking time are too limited and the phone app is horrible. This is not robust for handling complex project management with a team and third party contractors.

Jessica

Absolutely love Flow. Makes my life so easy.

Reviewed on 2018/01/23

Pros

I loved that this was like a traditional online to-do list. You could sort by importance, by date, anything. You could flag most important tasks and add people to follow along with you for easy communication. Can't say enough about this program.

Andrew
  • Industry: Design

I have been able to easily communicate and get work done

Reviewed on 2017/08/28

Tracking tasks, deadlines, and just organizing ideas is very easy. We can all track it from any device no matter where we are, and collaborating is a breeze.

Pros

Task tracking is very in-depth, but at the same time intuitive. We quickly got used to the format of the tasks and were able to organize goals and assignments very easily.

Cons

My only complaint is the lack of integrations. A core part of our workflow involves Github, and we really would love to see the Github integration this year! I know it's on the roadmap, though, so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Dave

Been using Flow for years and still love it.

Reviewed on 2017/04/19

Our team has been using Flow for years and its been a great experience. Especially with the whole team using it - it's a great way to keep our remote team on the same page. We chose Flow over a few other similar apps because of the clean and beautiful design which makes using it a pleasure. I also really appreciate the default calendar view - a view which at the time we started using it other apps didn't have. The app focuses on Tasks - which makes my time using it really actionable. The recently added projects views which is a nice addition and eager to see that further develop.

The one feature that I really wish it had was time tracking and the ability to schedule my day by time-boxing tasks and bringing them into my calendar for the day and week. Also offline viewing / functionality would come in really handy for long flights without wifi.

Maxwell
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Flow helps keep me and the team organized on all tasks and checklists!

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Clear communication, organization of tasks and checklists, and ensuring the timely completion of necessary tasks.

Pros

Love how easy it is to create and use checklists on this platform. So easy to keep tasks in the open to ensure they get done either by myself or by a team mate on time. Easy to keep communication open on the tasks at hand and their status.

Cons

Sometimes setting up a task can be tricky if there is no designated category for it set up already.

Mallisa

What A Lifesaver

Reviewed on 2018/01/23

Pros

I do freelance photography as one of my side hustles and I have been looking for something to help me organize my photoshoots for years. Flow allows me to assign tasks to each event- meaning I can now keep track of everything that I need to do leading up to a shoot, and everything that needs to be done down to delivering my clients their final galleries.

Charlene

Great platform.

Reviewed on 2017/04/04

Great platform for getting a full view of all my tasks. There are a few functions I wish were integrated but overall a great service.

Pros

The chat is great and overall view point

Cons

Wish I could organize my private tasks in kanban style. Also when opening the calendar view I'd like to click on multiple people on the team to get a sense of what they're working on.

Mike

The Project Management Software I've Been Looking For

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

Makes coordinating a team much easier. I can look at the different timelines of projects and make sure everyone is one track.

Pros

The ability to shift between different views. I love the catch-up feature.

Cons

It's a little complex one first use but the more time you spend with it the more intuitive it becomes.

a unique app with lots of features and some bug to be fixed

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

has some features that no other app can offer; good design; good task management and assignment, possibility to attach files from cloud services and computer

Cons

there are still some bugs that need to be fixed; price is ok but for more than 3 users could be expensive

Juan
Juan
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

The tool i never knew i needed

Reviewed on 2023/07/06

Pros

I liked this tool for its appearance. Yes, its interface is quite nice and modern. It's cool how instead of having a single place to write down your to-dos, you now have multiple tabs and sections that you can explore to find those tasks you forgot existed.

Cons

The fact that there are so many features and options can be a bit confusing.

Rajesh
  • Used for 6-12 months

Clear and crisp view of your project state

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

keep it up

keep it up

Pros

you can manage your project deadlines and productivity .you can check progress and manage task under one roof .

Cons

bug replication is not clearly presentable,it need to be more interactive in reports generation for managers.