Campaign Monitor Reviews

Elegantly simple email marketing

4.6/5 (381 reviews)
Abbas H.

Best email marketing and automation solution i've used so far!

Reviewed on 2017/10/08

Pros

We've used other email marketing tools for different reasons over the years, but still always came back to read Campaign Monitor's excellent email marketing advice on their blogs and articles about best practices. Finally took the plunge a year ago and moved all our subscribers over. No regrets whatsoever!

Just the amazing email editor and template manager is enough to make me leave everything else and use Campaign Monitor. The extensive segmentation tools, super clear and well-formed APIs to connect with our CRM and outstanding customer journey setup is above and beyond what i've seen from other tools in the market. Oh and their brilliant responsive all-platform templates!!

Also, when they say 'award-winning' and round the clock support / success teams, they mean it! Definitely and whole-heartedly recommended!

Cons

I'm nit-picking, but how Campaign Monitor counts subscribers (in order to bill us) is different from some of the other tools out there. For e.g. if the same subscriber is in two mailing lists, it counts as two for billing purposes. If you have many lists, it tends to balloon your billing subscription out a bit.

Douglas H.

Great Product, Great Support, Definitely Better than Others We have Tried

Reviewed on 2016/09/09

After over twelve hours attempting to log on, pay for, and conduct a REPEAT newsletter/emailout with one of its competitors, GetResponse, I had to look elsewhere, because their system was rejecting our email list, because it "looked" to GetResponse's totalitarian software as "very similar to another list on its server"---OF COURSE IT LOOKED SIMILAR---We had used their service twice in the past year---with admittedly a few "hiccups", but we had got those emails out. Their service refused to let us log in, or pay for, or reactivate our old account, so we had to create a new one---and that's likely one factor that led to the total failure of their organization to provide the slightest bit of genuine service to us yesterday.

Shortly before midnight, I tried competitor "RedCappi", but after I edited an outgoing email address, it looked as if they might delay sending the test emails, so while waiting to see how long that delay might be, I set up a "Campaign Monitor" account, and proceeded with the same process (our newsletter html was "ready to go"---having been produced by the IT guru at our factory overseas). Despite a good half-hour lead, the RedCappi test emailouts took over an hour and a half to arrive, versus maybe less than a minute with Campaign Monitor.

I was sold---uploaded all 4800 or so email addresses to Campaign Monitor without a hitch, and Campaign Monitor clearly pointed out a few dozen "oops" emails I had mis-formatted, and I was able to fix all and add them back into the emailout effortlessly.

When I wanted to send to the total list, instead of to four test email addresses, I found a helpful FAQ on the Campaign Monitor site which clearly walked me through how to resend to new subscribers---a vast difference from having to "Chat" on three separate occasions with the GetResponse team to help me with their less-user-friendly system (EVEN THOUGH I HAD USED GetResponse TWICE PREVIOUSLY)!

Pros

Hard question to answer---Sorry, I have to say "EVERYTHING"! Worked well, priced me in cheaper local currency, fast sendout, very helpful tips on mis-formatted emails, phenomenal customer support, no login or password struggles...the list goes on (a double-entendre).

Cons

Unsubscribe "Tag" added at the bottom of our emails was in a different font from the bottom portion of our emailout/newsletter---a minor point.

Saad J.

This is your best option if you don't have a good CRM or Marketing Automation (Premier Plan user)

Reviewed on 2017/07/27

Non-Profit Discount, Volume Discount, Drip Automation, WYSIWYG editor (removing designer/developer dependency), Web Form Integration

Pros

You get a:
> WYSIWYG email editor (making responsive email design & development a piece of cake).
> Conditional email blocks based on list segmentation or conditions.
> Easy to setup email drips to your list, based on when they joined, segmentation rules or custom conditions
> User management to limit access to the lists and control actual email deployment
> Ability to run unlimited basic Spam Filter, Firewall and Email Client tests
> New reporting tab makes monitoring email performance much easier

Cons

The transnational emails are great for basic requirements. Anything more needs custom development and support. I was disappointed when I found there's no way to limit Transactional Emails to run on specific lists out of the box.

Christopher G.

It just works !

Reviewed on 2017/06/30
Review Source

Pros

Clear, clutter-free interface with the right tools for the job, everything is made to concentrate on your emailmarketing objectives and not how to use the tool :)
I've been using CM for close to 10 years and have witnessed their progressive and intelligent implementations : nothing is added that you won't *really* need and once it's added it's especially intuitive.
Add to that Campaign Monitor's daily tips, blog posts, ressources and especially their outstanding client support : you just can't go wrong.

Cons

Hard to fin anything really, maybe certain ways of implementing behavioral segments but then again maybe it's my Marketing objectives that aren't clear enough...

Shilpa S.

A product well thought through

Reviewed on 2019/05/25

I have been using CampaignMonitor for almost 4 years now. I love the tool more than MailChimp and Constant Contact. I

Pros

*Allows to send a test mail and check personalization using real examples from your contact list.
*You can also set up email automation with the tool.
*The HTML upload and rendering across devices is on point. Very well made product.
* Does not force users to use bulky footers that promotes itself unlike Constant Contact

Cons

I was billed extra and forced to use the plan I upgraded to for an entire month without being prompted that my list size had exceeded a certain number. While I understand it makes sense for your revenue it is not a very good customer experience.

Jim C.

Reviewed on 2015/11/21
Review Source

If you are using emails to communicate with customers you really can do a much better job with a service like Campaign Monitor. You can create and store templates, get instant reports on opens and clicks, and other data. They have very few glitches and when it happens they fix them right away. Customer service is better than excellent.

Pros

As mentioned, I would give their customer service a +++. I am a very small user. I'm sure they have much more important clients. But that's not how they treat me when I have a need. They are right on top of things and and I believe they treat me the same as a major user.

They also send periodic "lessons" on how to improve email content and they are worth reading.

Embedding photos/images is a breeze and you get quality true to that of the original image.true

Cons

If you are a savvy, tech-smart user you can navigate and use the service with few problems. If you are a 3/5 like me, it is sometimes a challenge to get around. After a while you can learn it, but the initial phases can be daunting.

They might consider creating a glossary for some of the technical terms.

There are a few options I wish they would incorporate in their text capabilities.

Stacy G.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/08/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Campaign monitor is great for small business' who are not much on the technical side, it's easy to use and easy to explain to your clients.
It also has high deliverability and excellent compatibility with mobile and computer. The pricing also differs which is great if you have a range of clients from small to medium to large business'.

Pros

Campaign monitor is clean and modern and because of it's designed, it's very easy to use and understand. You also have a range of templates to choose from. This is best if you are not very technical and find it easy to use a drop and drag function.

They also give you access to your statistics and you can export your database if you need to upload it to another service.

They also continuously grow their services and have now added automation, insights and transactional emails.

You can also design your own email using code and upload the code as a template to Campaign Monitor

Cons

You pay for everytime you send out a batch of emails where some email marketing services are free.

The customer service takes a while to get back to you.

Sometimes the code you upload won't look as good when its embed into Campaign monitor, Sometimes the functionality of the code goes off.

The email campiagn you send out can look better on chrome than safari

6.0/10
Nicki S.

A great product that keeps evolving

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

I've been using Campaign Monitor for several years to send email campaigns for my clients, mostly small to medium-sized nonprofits and civic organizations. I love that it's designer-oriented - you can create your own custom templates or use theirs. They've introduced (and then significantly improved) flexible templates that perform very well responsively. They also take their sender reputation very seriously; when one of my clients inadvertently sent an email to an old list and ended up with too high a percentage of spam reports and unsubscribes, the Campaign Monitor support team was very helpful in working with me to address the issues.

Pros

Responsive design; clean, contemporary, flexible templates; handles images well; great reporting; prompt, helpful, friendly customer service; competitive pricing; agency discount

Cons

Honestly can't think of any at the moment.

Great mid-level email marketing tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Pros

Very easy to set up triggers and actions. You can get going in Campaign Monitor very quickly. Setting up email sequences based on complex user activities is a breeze. The live reporting feature...with a globe pinpointing exactly where the recipients of your email are opening your email...is super cool and valuable from a geo-marketing point of view. Basic personalization and transactional capabilities are decent as well.

Cons

The support was not the best. Hit and miss. Sometimes they answered questions/resolved issues in almost real-time...but other times it can take them up to 48 hours to get back to you.

Solid, reliable emailing

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

We manage multiple clients and their emailing needs from within our account, as well as sending our own emails. We use the template builder and custom html, and find that both work well.

Pros

Campaign Monitor is a safe pair of hands when it comes to emailing. I find the list management (and related tasks such as keeping on top of unsubscribes) easier and better than competing softwares. The ability to manage clients' accounts and take a cut of fees also works well for us. Reporting is also clear and simple.

Cons

The template builder, whilst still very good, could do with some extra thought to enhance it further and bring in line with modern email capabilities. I would love to see more responsiveness, more font choices etc. Also, the interface as a whole is beginning to feel a little dated, and I would be interested to see that given a refresh.

Great product for small biz, but limited capabilities

Reviewed on 2018/11/10

I can quickly build one template and create different versions of it. Or, I can make duplicates of an existing email, and make any edits I want. It's very easy to use for basic email creation and deployment.

Pros

There are a dozens of templates to choose from, or you can build your own campaign. Easy to get started, easy to set up deployments.

Cons

I've never been able to upload prebuilt html into the platform. Supposedly you can, but we had a designer, and two managers all sitting around the computer for nearly an hour trying to figure it out to no avail.

And a more robust search feature would be great - like the ability to search by subject line or key word.

7.0/10

Currently the best email service provider in the balance of powerful features and easy of use.

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

I love the email builder. That's what did it for me. But I also like Worldview, it's amazing. I also really like the reports, they are so easy to navigate and give deeper insights than I saw with other ESPs.

Cons

It's a little pricey compared to the alternatives, but I think it's worth it. One time I had a very bad issue which they apologized for and gave me a credit for, but it was really bad. Things happen, still a great company.

Brendan O.

Campaign Monitor makes email marketing easy with it's easy to use interface and a ton of features.

Reviewed on 2018/02/12

The biggest benefit was that I was able to get up to speed and learn the software quickly. It wasn't overwhelming and I felt like I could build great looking emails right away.

Pros

I like that it enables you to create great looking email without any prior experience or knowledge coding or building emails. They have a drag and drop email builder that allows you to quickly create beautiful, responsive, mobile-friendly emails in an easy to use interface. Their marketing automation features are also much easier to learn than some of their competitors.

Cons

For advanced email marketers with coding and development knowledge, Campaign Monitor is a little too simple. It really is geared to marketers who don't have a lot of development knowledge and lacks some of the features of Salesforce's Marketing Cloud.

Easiest Email System I’ve Seen

Reviewed on 2018/04/19
Review Source

Pros

So easy to use, it’s not even possiable to access the HTML or SQL. Anyone can pick this tool up easy.

Cons

Usually you compromize ease of use for robust, advanced features. But, there’s not too many issues with this. Sometimes I have to be creative, but I have always made it work. I hope to see more on the automated program features - like being able to exclude if they’re on another list.

Heidi W.

Has everything you need, but not for beginners

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

Campaign Monitor has every feature you need. If you want automated campaigns, a/b testing, api specific campaigns, it's got it all. It's got so much flexibility to fit whatever your use case is.

Cons

It can be challenging to use. It's not as simple as other drag and drop platforms. To design a really great campaign, you really HAVE to know a little HTML.

7.0/10
Anne M.

The Smartest Place for Email Marketers to hang out!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/03/30

I first became aware of Campaign Monitor many years ago when I was getting my start in email marketing. I learned so much from all the important resources on their website, which really helped me to leverage competitive design strategies for my campaigns.

Pros

Campaign Monitor is a leader in the industry because they provide a great product and fantastic support - their site is a treasure trove of need to know information on email marketing, all at your fingertips whenever you need it. This combination really gives you the edge when it comes to creating, testing, and launching competitive campaigns that drive engagement with your audience and result in increased conversions.

Cons

What's not to like? Campaign Monitor has so many advantages there's not anything to complain about!

Jim C.

I have been a user for a number of years. I own a retail store and use to communicate w/customers

Reviewed on 2017/09/28

IT helps drive customers into the store and to stay in touch with them, in general. We can present images that focus on what we want customers to think about. It gives customers a way to send feedback, if they want to do so. It provides attractive templates that allow us to create a consistent, recognizable look.

Pros

It has a lot of power and flexibility. A user with little computer expertise can make it work, or more complex efforts are possible, too. User support is excellent, regardless how large or small you might be. I don't think it would be possible to find a better communications vehicle for the cost.

Cons

I would like to see more WORD functions included in the email text options. I would include underlining, bullet lists and few other options.

Kris K.

An expansive email marketing tool.

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

Pros

Campaign Monitor is a full-featured, high-quality email marketing tool. My business has found success using this tool for both internal and external audiences. I find the greatest value in the analytics features of the tool. This helps my marketing team use data to plan directed communications to employees and customers.

Cons

The customer service is non-transparent. Campaign Monitor makes many attempts to defer your help requests through pages of FAQs and making it difficult to find their email contact form. It looks like they have a call-in line for premium pay customers, however I did not have any issues I needed to contact them for while I had the premium account.

Creativity through email; a great way to personalize an email

Reviewed on 2018/10/11

Pros

I have been using Campaign Monitor to personalize my emails and it is more for my personal use. It provides me with a chance to create a customized email which showcases my creativity and my personality. The product is easy to set-up as well, it is not necessary to have an in-depth computer literacy to be able to learn and use Campaign Monitor. It is simple with an easy interface that can allow anyone to personally use this.

Cons

The fees associated are a little high for its features, especially when a huge batch of emails are sent, also, uploaded code does not look as great as you thought it would be before uploading it.

Bradley G.

Super helpful, and easy to use when you are getting started

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

The price is right. It has less functionality, but the ease of use and lower cost make this an important part of our email marketing strategy.

Pros

Very easy to get started with setting up your initial email lists for targeting.
Can easily customize lists based on customer attributes

Cons

Somewhat limited functionality. We still use Campaign monitor, but we split our time between this product and one of their competitors since we like the reporting features of one of their competitors.

Brayan agostinho D.

very good email marketing application easy and convenient to use with many essential tools

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

If you want to highlight a good email so that your clients do not miss it, Campaign Monitor is ideal.
Campaign Monitor provides us with a large number of essential tools for an email marketing job.
It provides us with a large number of templates and a good form of easy and comfortable editing to create and develop beautiful web designs.
allows us to manage and take control to send emails. perfect for advertising campaigns with a marketing contact organization.
It also includes a tool that keeps us informed in real time and details about who opened the emails and who shared it.
a copañia very attentive to its users. offers us 24/7 attention

Cons

Campaign Monitor only offers us a free demo. I think you should give a free trial of your service for a limited time to get more customers and see everything that this application offers.
I think this application should be developed in more languages to keep growing

Dipali D.

Best email marketing campaign out there with its incredible features!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/09/20

The main advantage of using Campaign Monitor over other email marketing software is ease of use. It's a very well designed software that helps create, schedule and send emails to customers. I have never faced any glitches or downtime sessions with Campaign Monitor. It is easy to add tracking codes to personalize emails and the tracking reports are quite advanced. If you opt for the Premier option, you get access to all the great features along with a dedicated manager.

Pros

- Excellent tracking options
- Great user interface - one of the main reasons why I'd choose it over its competitors
- Multiple themes to choose from
- Flexible pricing options
- Great features include A/B testing, inbox previews, opportunity to grow your list and personalized emailing option

Tami C.

New customer hits an obstacle but quickly addressed with outstanding service on a Sunday evening.

Reviewed on 2016/08/29

As a new customer, who is also in the process of starting a new business, I ran into a bit of a process issue because I hadn't been able to complete setting up my website. I contacted Campaign Monitor about the issue and received a quick, thorough response on a Sunday evening that addressed my issue and also gave me a list of how to do things. I was very pleased and it made starting Monday morning without worrying about resolution so much easier.

Pros

Simple to use templates for any kind of email campaign make starting a business so much easier. I spent tons of time trying to create my own from 'free' templates but once I started messing around with apps with which I wasn't familiar it took time I didn't have. At this point in time all I want is a generic template later on I may customize.

Cons

On the template it wasn't exactly clear how to insert a logo that included a picture with text if the logo wasn't print ready.

Geoffrey M.

Easy to use product with excellent options

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

Easy to use professional product.

Pros

It has excellent controls over our team's access. It is easy to make up templates and have our team modify them to use. I like the way it saves as you build the template. Great features.

Cons

The cost for small companies with low volumes is high. We have a large data base that is divided into 40 or more lists in different languages. We send out targeted marketing to selected real estate groups so the volume sent out per month is low. We only use lists appropriate for the property to avoid unsubscriptions but because our total number of subscribers is high, the monthly cost is higher than I believe is fair.

Artur P.

Campaign Monitor is the original mailing list innovator

Reviewed on 2017/06/12

Want reliable and easy to use (but very powerful) email delivery service - then CampaignMonitor is a safe choice.

Pros

When a company pays attention to design and usability its a clear sign that they care about how well their software works. CampaignMonitor is that kinds of company. I've been using their services for nearly a decade and they never seize to amaze with the quality of their features.
CampaignMonitor is very easy to use, both for creation of campaigns and for checking stats.

Cons

The price tag to check how the email design will look in different email clients. It would be nice to have this as a built in feature.