Campaign Monitor

James D.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Great for agencies

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Pros

We used Campaign Monitor for many years with multiple clients and it worked really well. Segmentation of clients was easy and setting new ones up was all self-initiated​, no need to contact support. List management​ was a breeze as well as segmentation. Campaign creation was also easy, we never used the drag and drop editor​ as we crated bespoke HTML emails ourselves.

Cons

The reason why we chose to move away from CM was the segmentation was slightly limiting for us. We basically needed to segment based on relative dates, i.e from now until 3 months ago. This could only be achieved by entering exact dates, which you would need to change on a​ daily basis if using for automation purposes. If that doesn't bother you I would recommend using CM.

Abbas H.

Best email marketing and automation solution i've used so far!

Reviewed on 2017/10/08

Pros

We've used other email marketing tools for different reasons over the years, but still always came back to read Campaign Monitor's excellent email marketing advice on their blogs and articles about best practices. Finally took the plunge a year ago and moved all our subscribers over. No regrets whatsoever!

Just the amazing email editor and template manager is enough to make me leave everything else and use Campaign Monitor. The extensive segmentation tools, super clear and well-formed APIs to connect with our CRM and outstanding customer journey setup is above and beyond what i've seen from other tools in the market. Oh and their brilliant responsive all-platform templates!!

Also, when they say 'award-winning' and round the clock support / success teams, they mean it! Definitely and whole-heartedly recommended!

Cons

I'm nit-picking, but how Campaign Monitor counts subscribers (in order to bill us) is different from some of the other tools out there. For e.g. if the same subscriber is in two mailing lists, it counts as two for billing purposes. If you have many lists, it tends to balloon your billing subscription out a bit.

Annie K.

Easy to use, even for beginners!

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

I use campaign monitor weekly when deploying campaigns for multiple clients, whether they are bright and fun e-commerce emails, or real estate, or emails for medical professions, every type benefits from it and being able to toggle back and forth between clients' profiles makes it so fluid and efficient.

Pros

I love that campaign monitor has two ways of creating emails, either uploading custom HTML or using their in-house email builder. I regularly use both for different clients. It is so easy for someone to use who doesn't have a lot of coding skills or doesn't use these platforms often because it is just so intuitive.

Cons

I think the thing I like least about campaign monitor is its in-house email builder is kind of limited. Sometimes I want to lay something out differently or change a color or style of something, but since it has a limited builder, those things aren't possible. I also don't love that you can only have one credit card on file for your emails so if you want to send out two emails in one day from two separate credit cards, you have to manually update it after the first is sent but before the second is sent.

• Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

campaign monitor for email marketing

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

Managing your email marketing campaigns can be very hard if you don't have the right tools. We have alot of target mails we have to constantly engage meaningful content with, that is why we use campaign monitor to make the work more efficient. It integrates well with most CRM platforms including the one we use.

Pros

The templates helps with customisation for different kinds of customers. Its easy to use in most cases

Cons

Campaign monitor is on the expensive side, there are other tools that can offer similar results at less price.

Currently the best email service provider in the balance of powerful features and easy of use.

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

I love the email builder. That's what did it for me. But I also like Worldview, it's amazing. I also really like the reports, they are so easy to navigate and give deeper insights than I saw with other ESPs.

Cons

It's a little pricey compared to the alternatives, but I think it's worth it. One time I had a very bad issue which they apologized for and gave me a credit for, but it was really bad. Things happen, still a great company.

Easiest Email System I’ve Seen

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

So easy to use, it’s not even possiable to access the HTML or SQL. Anyone can pick this tool up easy.

Cons

Usually you compromize ease of use for robust, advanced features. But, there’s not too many issues with this. Sometimes I have to be creative, but I have always made it work. I hope to see more on the automated program features - like being able to exclude if they’re on another list.

Jim C.

I have been a user for a number of years. I own a retail store and use to communicate...

Reviewed on 2017/09/28

IT helps drive customers into the store and to stay in touch with them, in general. We can present images that focus on what we want customers to think about. It gives customers a way to send feedback, if they want to do so. It provides attractive templates that allow us to create a consistent, recognizable look.

Pros

It has a lot of power and flexibility. A user with little computer expertise can make it work, or more complex efforts are possible, too. User support is excellent, regardless how large or small you might be. I don't think it would be possible to find a better communications vehicle for the cost.

Cons

I would like to see more WORD functions included in the email text options. I would include underlining, bullet lists and few other options.

Bradley G.

Super helpful, and easy to use when you are getting started

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

The price is right. It has less functionality, but the ease of use and lower cost make this an important part of our email marketing strategy.

Pros

Very easy to get started with setting up your initial email lists for targeting.
Can easily customize lists based on customer attributes

Cons

Somewhat limited functionality. We still use Campaign monitor, but we split our time between this product and one of their competitors since we like the reporting features of one of their competitors.

Tami C.
  • Industry: Government Relations

New customer hits an obstacle but quickly addressed with outstanding service on a Sunday...

Reviewed on 2016/08/29

As a new customer, who is also in the process of starting a new business, I ran into a bit of a process issue because I hadn't been able to complete setting up my website. I contacted Campaign Monitor about the issue and received a quick, thorough response on a Sunday evening that addressed my issue and also gave me a list of how to do things. I was very pleased and it made starting Monday morning without worrying about resolution so much easier.

Pros

Simple to use templates for any kind of email campaign make starting a business so much easier. I spent tons of time trying to create my own from 'free' templates but once I started messing around with apps with which I wasn't familiar it took time I didn't have. At this point in time all I want is a generic template later on I may customize.

Cons

On the template it wasn't exactly clear how to insert a logo that included a picture with text if the logo wasn't print ready.

Kay S.

After 10 years, still my preferred platform for email marketing

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

Campaign Monitor allows my clients to easily send email marketing campaigns to their customers or users. The white-listing allows my agency to earn passive income.

Pros

Campaign's outstanding feature is it's ease of use. The interface is friendly and makes sense but does not dumb things down for advanced users.

Cons

My one complaint about Campaign Monitor is that their bespoke/custom template editor has not been updated in a long time, in favor of their drag and drop editor. The drag and drop editor is great, but it's still not enough for some of my clients who need very low level control over their branding.

Nathan R.

Beautiful and simple Email ;arketing and Automation

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Managing your email marketing and automation in a simple way is a huge advantage.
This was made to be simple, so new and experienced users alike can benefit from this software

Pros

There are several companies that deliver the same service, but I have yet to see one as simple as this one.
Simple is always good.
Being able to design a high quality email AND to be able to setup the automation (email marketing) in a visual way

Cons

Even though it is very easy, and the templates are gorgeous, you need to have high quality images and at the right size in order to "switch" them in the templates.
And even though you can get ideas for automation paths you still have to define your own.

Adam E.

Be prepared for negative numbers

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

It's pretty good overall! I'm happy with the product but there are some kinda wonky aspects to it, though again, that could be a result of using it as not necessarily intended.

Pros

It's very easy to upload email lists and to customize my own email campaigns. Being able to drag a CSV file into the list is such a huge QOL, and I like that Campaign Monitor has it's own templates that I can use to create my own email campaign.

Cons

I'm not sure if my company uses this feature as intended, but I'm often uploading and deleting users from the list so that we don't hit the cap. As such, lists often run into negative numbers after I delete them. This becomes a problem when I need to use a list that's a bit smaller - Campaign Monitor understandably can't send to a user list it perceives as having negative users.

Great tool for Company and Client Eblast usage

Reviewed on 2018/09/24

Pros

The ease of setup and designing templates, as well as it's reporting.

Cons

I really have no complaints about using this software.

Jake C.

Excellent Value!

Reviewed on 2018/10/31

Excellent value for the money, it's pretty cheap, anyone can afford it. (cheaper than a spotify subscription!)

Pros

I've used many different email marketing tools over the years, and have seen the ups and downs of many of them. CM is one of the top programs I've had the opportunity to use. Editing and managing emails is a breeze w/ CM, and the support was there when needed (prompt as well).

Cons

If you have a good CRM this program might not be necessary, but that's not so much of a con as it is you just need to know what your personal needs are and that this software isn't the end-all solution for everyone. I don't really have any gripes about this software. A few things are different than other competitor's, like the way hours are billed, but that type of stuff doesn't take long to get used to.

Katie F.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Campaign Monitor Gets the Job Done - But Not For Large Companies with Robust Needs.

Reviewed on 2020/05/21

If you're looking for an email-only program - i.e. only to create and send emails, and look at email stats - this is fine. But if you're in the market for a true email marketing platform that you use in conjunction with the rest of your marketing tools AND want to view how emails play a part in the customers' journey, then this isn't the platform for you. I'd recommend looking into Hubspot (or something similar), which acts as both a CRM, website, and email tool.

Pros

The ease of use is by far the best thing about Campaign Monitor. No background in coding or HTML? No problem! This platform lets you create visually-appealing emails with only a few clicks of a button. Looking at the email stats was very simple too. Overall it's a good, simple platform to meet your small business needs.

Cons

The fact that Campaign Monitor lives outside our system. We had been looking for a simple email marketing tool - which this was. But when we were ready to make the jump into a more robust platform (one that seamlessly integrated with our CRM), it wasn't possible. Plus, not being able to marry together the email insights into our customer actions/deals/leads was a big hindrance.

Scott O.

Campaign Monitor is the best ESP yet

Reviewed on 2015/05/07

I switched Trade Ideas from iContact to Campaign Monitor in Q3 2014 and haven't looked back. The interface is not only modern, but extremely efficient – example: conducting several types of A/B tests with any send is right in the sending workflow and not a complicated process.

Pros

The customer service and support are very quick to respond with a helpful solution.

The templating and editing interface is powerful and purposefully limited, making for very fast creation of great looking, responsive emails. We can import our own templates when needed, however I haven't bothered doing so yet.

The A/B testing and email send reporting is excellent and intuitive.

Campaign Monitor has added additional automation features just in the short time I've been with them, increasing their value to me as an ESP.

Cons

Not much, really. Some additional automation features and more advanced segmentation/list splitting would be about all I'd ask for so far.

Response from Campaign Monitor

Thanks for the great review. We hope to continue to increase our value to you!

Beth J.

Amazing Customer Service

Reviewed on 2015/05/08

I've used Campaign Monitor on behalf of two separate marketing agencies now and am very pleased with the platform. For one, we used the whitelable feature to facilitate our various clients sending emails via template. For the other, we use CM for our agency email marketing across several departments.

Pros

FANTASTIC customer service and technical support! Several times I've reached out to Campaign Monitor with custom questions, needs, or requests for assistance.

Not only has the support team been very swift to respond, but the responses are personalized, friendly, and truly helpful. Each time, they've taken the time to fully understand my need and situation, find a solution, and offer that solution quickly and up front.

These are real humans who can truly help and work hard to offer pro-active solutions, keeping us on schedule and on budget. I'm super pleased.

Response from Campaign Monitor

Thanks for the awesome review! We're so happy that our support and technical team has been able to assist you with your needs! Let us know anytime we can help!

Guy G.

Great integrations for email marketing

Reviewed on 2020/01/31

sending multiple emails and marketing campaigns and producing reports to show effect

Pros

Ease of use, sending email campaigns for clients and reporting on delivery, open rates, click throughts, bounces, etc

Cons

I've had no issues. Also use MailChimp, which seems better for background articles and stats by industry for comparison, but campaign monitor does a good solid job.

Andrew S.

Beautiful, solid mail software, backed with good service

Reviewed on 2015/02/06

We have been using Campaign Monitor since 2004 for client and personal campaigns, from lists of a few hundred contacts to those with hundreds of thousands of contacts.

Campaign Monitor is a slick, solid and easy to use. You can tell that each feature has been well thought out and polished. It is easy to read about a new feature and know how to start using instantly.

In over 10 years of use we have never experienced any down time, difficulty in sending mails or having them received by customers. There was one day when Campaign Monitor lost a few click-through statistics and they instantly apologised and gave us an overly-generous refund.

We have used their API to get a close linking of customer details between our site and the Campaign Monitor list, and we pull down data for reporting.

If I have one gripe it is that moving to a new pricing tier recently put the service into the "expensive" bracket in my opinion. I appreciate that quality and service comes at a cost, but I feel they are flirting with "over-priced".

Overall I would definitely recommend Campaign Monitor as a partner that can take you from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of mails a week.

Bec L.

Excellent customer service

Reviewed on 2017/06/06

Pros

Easy to use, very adaptable to different client needs, set up really well for organised isatio a, individuals or small consultant agencies like me

Cons

Some of the invisible formatting can be vexing, for example heading sizes can slip into paragraphs and you can think its fixed on preview but it shows up again in test emails, or, worse, the real thing.

Michael G.

Great Support

Reviewed on 2016/07/21

We use their service to send email newsletters on behalf of clients. The site has a great set of features and in the rare instance that something goes wrong, the support is phenomenal.

Igor C.

Fully-featured and expansive email marketing tool

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

If you a are looking for simplicity, this software is what you need to look at. Email monitoring is very easy and tracking is reliable.

Pros

The interface is simple and intuitive, as you don't have to spend hours figuring creating new templates. Cost is pretty low compared to other alternatives and availability of advanced features such as A/B testing, data segmentation really add to the overall package.

Cons

Limited ability to edit HTML once templates are uploaded. A more user friendly drag-and-drop editor would be a great addition to CampaignMonitor. Reporting could use improving, and better integrations for triggered emails would be great.

Caleb H.

Campaign Monitor is great!

Reviewed on 2016/06/22

I use Campaign Monitor to ease my weekly email blasts and they've been absolutely great. I have used other email campaign and marketing companies before but have always found them to be lacking in many aspects that just work using Campaign Monitor.

Pros

- Email client testing
- Mobile responsiveness
- Fair pricing
- Responsive customer service
- Many templates to choose from
- No section restrictions or image count restrictions (from what I've seen)
- Easy list management
- World view email opens
- Comprehensive reporting

Cons

No free testing tier

Ian A.
  • Industry: Design

World-class Customer Support

Reviewed on 2017/08/02

Allows us to offer additional services to our clients. if I had to find something I would say that the having so much functionality can be difficult to get to grips with.

Pros

I like the fact we have the ability to offer a white label solution to our clients and can manage all of the accounts from one log-in.

Good newsletter tool

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Good tool to use for newsletters. Fine free version and good basic model in the paid version as well. But seems like some of the things like sending out e-mails at a certain time in different geographies should be a part of the paid plan in the basic version.

Pros

We have used Campaign Monitor for some time now, and it works well. There is a good overview of the different campaigns you have sent, while there's also possibility for split testing. Does the job on a regular basis.

Cons

Sometimes the interface is not that intuitive. Especially when it comes to understanding the difference between transactional and automatic e-mails.