Microsoft Dynamics GP

ERP Software Package

Not quite caught up to newer software

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

I have used Microsoft Dynamics GP for over 20 years for various companies. The distribution modules are pretty strong and I have used those in many industries. There are a lot of options available now for automation and workflows which save time as well as missed opportunities. I have also been able to connect Dynamics GP to many external industry specific programs, saving data entry and errors.

Pros

It has a very strong financial backbone. Users are forced to view and verify accounting data during transactions in many areas. Since the software has been around for many years, there are a lot of ISVs offering add-on products for various needs. The backend is strong in that it is MS SQL Server.

Cons

There are some features that do not automatically come as part of the main package. Reporting, operational and financial, has been all over the place and is still not where it needs to be. There is not a lot of remote capabilities.

Basil B.
  • Industry: Textiles
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Microsoft dynamics GP is a good ERP software package.

Reviewed on 2021/01/16

Very good experience with this software.very easy to use and good speed

Pros

Microsoft dynamics GP has a very effective PP module.It is used for production Planning and very easily everyone can make Master production schedule & Material Requirement plans..

Cons

It requires more updates and developments

Meghan Y.

DO NOT USE FOR PAYROLL

Reviewed on 2021/02/13

I hate it so much that I am writing this review on a Friday night, while I wait to see if I anything I or IT can do will make it possible for my workers to get paid on time next week.

Pros

Nothing. I even hate the cutesy "wait while we get things ready for you" splash screen.

Cons

This is a terrible, horrible, very bad way for people to turn in timecards. I don't know whether it is actually saving the accountants any time, but it has turned the bi-weekly chore of turning in my own timecard and approving my subordinates' timecards a nightmare. It is kludgy and confusing, and about every other pay period something breaks and it takes hours to figure out what is wrong. This is a universal experience with the system for every employee and supervisor I have spoken with, except that many folks have had worse problems--some of our employees have gone up to two months without getting paid! It's incompetence bordering on criminal negligence.

Jana Y.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

2018 Is Better than the last

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

I like the fact that I can sort things easier. For example when I'm looking for a specific invoice I can sort by date document type, number, etc. It makes things much easier. I know there are many things as a company we are not utilizing and would like to be able to.

Cons

I feel like there should be more advanced options when it comes to running such things as Trial Balance. I also wish there was more help with smart list. Maybe some kind of training video in the help module.

Tiffany C.

2 years in to using GP16 and am comfortable navigating

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

Pros

Our company has been able to implement many customizations for our needs. Once you learn where everything is, there is almost no end to how you can view data. The smart lists are amazing for compiling what you need in particular.

Cons

The interface is not the most user friendly. There can be many clicks before you get to where you need to be.

Katie P.

Dynamics GP is a great Software for my needs.

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

This software is very user friendly.

Pros

Easy to use, very functional for our needs. Customer services is great and alwasy quick to respond.

Cons

The help function is a little hard to navigate which is why I either submit a support ticket or call when help is needed.

Heather K.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Microsoft Dynamics GP

Reviewed on 2015/06/01

Pros

Microsoft Dynamics GP is user friendly. It is easy to print trial balances and perform inquiries. Creating new accounts and entering journal entries are very straight forward. Management Reporter - the reporting package with Microsoft Dynamics GP is a step up from FRx.

Cons

One thing I find a bit confusing is creating smart lists. I'm sure with additional training, it would be much easier but this is the one area that I find not quite intuitive.

Eileen T.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

User

Reviewed on 2017/06/06

Like to have drilldown function

Pros

We use Microsoft Dynamics as our accounting software. We are a wholesale industry. We feel it is easy to use.

Cons

We think it has a limited search function. Like drill down the information to the original entries.

Helen Z.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Purchasing and Sales Module

Reviewed on 2016/10/19

I use Purchasing and Sales Module for the most of my time. Purchasing Module is excellent and easy to use. That will be even better if I could write more words in the description area. I really like the document Number setting. It avoids duplicate invoices. Sales Module has more functions which we don't need. But I like the automatic invoice emailing function. You don't have to print the invoice, scan it and send it. It saved us a lot of paper and time. The most useful part would be financial reports. You could generate any report you like and save them in your favourite smart list.

Pros

It could avoid duplicate invoice payments and it also could send invoice automatically. It could generate report very quickly and save it as your favourite Smart report.

Cons

The words size for viewing is too small and the words which you could write in description area is not enough sometimes. It's complicated to get a report at the beginning when you are not familiar with it.

Joseph S.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good ability to drill down it details.

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

Pros

The software is relatively friendly for accountants. It allows you to drill down in the details of transactions.

Cons

The software is not as friendly or intuitive for those inputting transactions. You really have to search when trying to find what all needs updated or input.

Sequoia M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Powerhouse CRM

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

Pros

We use this platform through our clients to update our regions projected projects. The program is a power house and allows our client to segment different departments/regions and isolate us to just that region. We had problems with uploading content into a project but a recent update made it extremely easy for use to update content and automate other section.

Cons

We required training to use this program. The login process and overall navigation was a bit confusing at first.

Tina Y.
  • Industry: Accounting

Good accounting software

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

Pros

The reports export to excel format nicely and are easy to customized the columns to meet your needs.

Cons

The GL account description does not show up when entering the account codes in any module so you wouldn't really notice if you keyed in the wrong account.

Ahmed H.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

a little complex but still working

Reviewed on 2017/11/09

Pros

the integrated smart list is the best feature in this ERP as i can extract all historical data through it

Cons

could not extract a ledger regarding an account involved all debit and credit transactions with the interchange accounts

Janet S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Very robust product, not good fit if you don't need all the features.

Reviewed on 2016/08/26

Pros

GP has great potential for large companies. But we do not have to keep track of inventories, and we do not use GP to track our sales or supply chains. This means we don't get to use many of the features.

Cons

GP does not integrate well with any non-Microsoft product, causing constant issues. It is also very difficult to learn to use quickly. The product is very robust, but is not user-friendly, and we had to constantly try to customize the way we used it to make it work for us. We also had issues with accounting functions, such as integrating reports and learning how to generate special reports.

Byron R.
  • Industry: Accounting

ME AND GP!

Reviewed on 2015/05/28

Pros

I am just getting started with GP but the move has been planned for sometime. We wanted an integrated platform for our business and since we chose MS 365 in the cloud and CRM GP was a natural choice, but we did look at others. One had no payroll module, others were excellent but really didn't work within the MS CRM program, and the QuickBooks interface did not appeal to us.

Cons

GP is a full accounting program so if you're an accountant it will feel quite right. It does take training, but the hardest problem was talking to so many MS "partners" because the installation, hosting, and training proposals varied widely! Shop around. I found mine by watching YouTube videos and calling the one whose video I liked.

Elisa S.

Great Plains limitations

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Would not recommend this product.

Pros

I wish I could say something wonderful about this product but there are so many things that are not great.

Cons

Limitations: on amount of information allow to enter into fields in all modules, report writer is the worst.

Joshua S.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Not the best, but it gets the job done

Reviewed on 2016/04/13

Pros

The fact that it's Microsoft means that it will at least work with Windows...and that going from one version of Windows to another shouldn't be too traumatizing.

Cons

It doesn't have all the features that a system of its kind should have.

Mahmoud R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Reviewed on 2017/04/22

Sujit N.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Superb product

Reviewed on 2016/11/21

An excellent product with rich UI and features which helps reduce a lot of time and man power.

Pros

Rich UI and easy to use features

Jeffrey R.

It is amazing

Reviewed on 2017/08/22

Pros

It is the opposite of slow to use. Didn't take me a while to learn how to operate the system. I have had a good time with customer support.

Cons

There is nothing wrong with the software other than that it cannot be used online. I wish that was changed.

Antonio M.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Useful but too much visual disorder

Reviewed on 2018/11/19

Pros

It's easy, it looks like a normal software that you are used to using. There would be no problem with filling up the fields and setting the list of data

Cons

It is a visual disorder that might cause fatigue and maybe you could have the same functionalities from other software because it doesn't show a different platform

Alan R.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Microsoft Dynamics is garbage.

Reviewed on 2017/08/22

Cons

It is very slow to use. It took me a while to learn how to operate the system. I have not had a good time with customer support.

• Industry: Machinery
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

User friendly and versatile ERP

Reviewed on 2020/11/25

I really liked using and implementing this ERP as users tends to like it and adpat very easy to it

Pros

I work for several years as a consultant implementing Microsoft Dynamics and I likes how user friendly this ERP is, is compatible with every Microsoft software, it is versatile and easy to use

Cons

It is not as strong in the manufacturing module as the most famous ERPs as it lacks on some concepts for manufacturing best practices, but for a small or medium company this ERP is more than enough

James X.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Senior Corporate Accountant

Reviewed on 2017/09/14

I love GP. I have for years. I've been a GP consultant, and have been a user for eight years. Before making the decision to select an accounting package, ask such questions as: What types of financial statements do I want? How detailed do I want them? Do I want to create separate entities or will departments work? GP has a very simplistic, onboard report writer. But if you need the ability to customize your reports, you should consider FRx. I believe FRx may be called something different now. It has a very advanced set of allocation accounts that I highly recommend to anyone that has to allocate expenses.

Pros

t's role tailored software that's easy to implement and use
It looks and feels familiar to software your people use every day: Microsoft Office Excel, Outlook, and Word
It enables fast, relevant access to current and complete information about your business activities and operations
It goes beyond basic reporting and extends insight across your entire organization
It seamlessly integrates with your other technology platforms
It permits one to over 1,000 concurrent users
It's highly customizable with dozens of industry-specific solutions
It automates and standardizes recurring tasks
It's scalable, versatile and flexible

Cons

With respect to the allocations, once the expense is entered into the allocation account, you lose the ability to run any detail on just the total of the expense. It would be nice if you could run a trial balance on the allocation accounts the same way you can with regular accounts.
I've always thought security set up could be a bit simpler. It actually has gotten better through the years. Specifically, with eight separate entities, it would be nice to have a "master" setup where you could call up one group entity, assign the users rights, and then be finished. Currently, whenever I have a new user, I have to call up each individual entity and select all of the features I want the user to have. That means I have to do eight steps for each user.

Judith F.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Microsoft Dynamics GP Manufacturing Rave

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

I am a true believer in Microsoft GP products. This accounting software, although a bit cumbersome to initially learn, is well worth the education. The ease with which you can navigate from customer related transactions, to back end AR functions, and over to strictly financial entries, is incomparable. Many accounting software systems, although quick and easy, do not give you a clear overview of distribution and coding layout. GP allows you to clearly access what has been recorded, and makes it easy to reverse anything if necessary. The "Smart List" is one of it's finest features. This tool allows you to not only access reports, but to streamline, and create reports that are tailored specifically for your needs. I believe this is one of the best systems out there for processing of manufactured goods, and inventory control. I highly recommend Microsoft Dynamics GP - Manufacturing!

Pros

Report Building
Distribution and coding clarity
Easy navigation
Excellent Customer support

Cons

Product does bog down occasionally, if too many people are on it ( usually more a month end kind of issue)
Very detailed - makes for slower learning of system **However, in the end is worth the work**