Workday Adaptive Planning Reviews

Workday Adaptive Planning

Enterprise planning software for agile budgeting & reporting

Ben
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Great software to project us into the next level of strategic finance.

Reviewed on 2016/09/13

Overall, Adaptive Insights has been a great software to work with. AI has increased the FP&A departments productivity during month end close and review by multiple days.

Pros

- The software is a cloud based, so you will have access anywhere you have the internet.
- No more “this worksheet is locked by another user” message.
- Imports and Exports to/from excel seamlessly…for those of you that like to work out of excel.
- Dashboard capabilities for more real time department metrics and visibility to spend.
- Rolling forecasting capabilities that allow us as a company to focus more on the future and less on the past.
- Instant Company budget/forecast results.
- Audit trails…never have to worry who, what, or when someone changed a number you budgeted or forecasted. All changes will be tracked.
- Company-wide visibility to Personnel and Capex planning that drives the cost of benefits, IT equipment, and supplies.

Cons

- Software enhancements are only every 4 to 5 months.
- Levels (Organization Departments) can be restricting to planning across multiple departments
- Noting variances in a report can be tricky at times.

Michael
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Awesome product for a great value. Takes budgeting and forecasting to a new level.

Reviewed on 2017/05/01

There are several benefits from using this software. The biggest benefit is that once your initial model is built you get stability compared to doing your forecast in spreadsheets. When we used spreadsheets most of our time was spent making sure formulas were correct and that there were no bust in the model. With Adaptive, you have confidence that once you test your formulas you can add/takeaway/and modify data and your calculations will work. The other benefit is that if you have a champion and insist that new data be loaded as soon as possible you always have a good/latest view of what the company expects. By doing this forecasting becomes built into your processes and not the annual/quarterly drag that the organization dislikes. Information is kept in a nice concise format that is easy to read.

Pros

The product if very adaptable. We recently went through a sell process where we were sold by a public company to a private equity firm and back to a public company within a two and half year period. Adaptive was very key to providing the analysis and financial information required for the sell process. While with the private equity firm we changed to a fiscal year but they required us to report both fiscal and calendar year numbers. We also had to push the various EBITDA adjustments back into the financial statements for comparative purposes. I also like the customer service and the fact that Adaptive pushes out a couple of major releases each year to add new functionality requested by the user community.

Chirantan
Chirantan
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Powerful but quite a decadent interface

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

Quite effective but very sloppy interface for getting financials. The design is decades old and seems frustratingly under developed. The reporting is there but it does not have advanced functionality that you would expect from such a pricey product.

Pros

Powerful - allows you to create custom reports, filter by various parameters, create different views
Reliable - Stable and does not crash
Light - Able to work through web interface which makes it a breeze even on thin clients
Compatible - with most browsers and does not have hangups

Cons

Interface - looks like 2 generations old. Very barebones and non intuitive
GUI - the design is extremely sloppy - and requires you to know your way through.
Lack of advanced functionality

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Best financial tool on the market in my opinion

Reviewed on 2016/10/02

I use Adaptive as a replacement for excel in some aspects of my job. I mainly use it as month end communication to send out financial status reports pertaining to actuals vs budget vs forecast. Adaptive Discovery is one tool I utilize to aid in visualizing data in multiple ways through the use of graphs, gauges, pie charts, tables, and many more.

Pros

Allows so many different ways to breakdown data.
Great customer support. The respond quickly and are very knowledgeable.
Easy to manage users with different access levels.
Adaptive is always working to enhance or update features. The platform develops continuously, which is great for the large user base.
Hosts free webinars every so often.
Can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have internet access.

Cons

The learning curve is steep, it takes a lot of time to really get comfortable with the platform.
Not a lot of video tutorials.
The terminology can be confusing sometimes.
Adaptive is open to technical/programming suggestions but often take time to be enacted. You sometimes have to wait for the next release to get the issue resolved.

• Industry: Sports

Great product, great customer service, lousy delivery on promises and too expensive

Reviewed on 2021/06/24

After a recent meeting I wrote notes: Workday works with large (>500 employee) organizations these days. They are treating us like a small fish. Makes me wonder how strategic more small non-profits like us matter to them. I think they are writing us off.

Nightmare roll-out with the implementation partner. We fired them. Adaptive consultants are good but too expensive. Not great at eliciting requirements or managing the project.

Pros

FP&A core functionality is outstanding!!!

Cons

Visualization functionality is a kludge!

Evan
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Great product for your business

Reviewed on 2021/01/07

I have complete control over my data using this software.

I have complete control over my data using this software.

Pros

Workday makes it super easy to manage all aspects of my job from scheduling to time off and payment elections and tax withholdings anywhere at anytime.

Cons

The task workflow process seems a bit drawn out and unclear for some things. There are a lot of options that still appear even if not enabled by the administrators.

• Industry: Medical Devices

AI Review

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

This is a solid software base that my firm uses to consolidate forecasting data and pull those forecasts for board review. It is a great platform to use for data warehousing and to pull massive subsets of data. Those pulls can then be used and pasted into Excel or whatever template that you need to generate the proper metrics.

Cons

The functionality is not as user friendly as you would like. The customized reporting is complex and hard to understand. I would recommend sitting in on a seminar or tutorial before committing to it. It isn't quite user friendly and, for us, we don't use it for anything but generating massive paste fills to be dumped into our reporting templates.

• Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Best planning tool I have used!

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

Pros

I loved the user experience as a whole. The interface feels very modern and as easy to use.

Cons

I wish it had more functionalities to easily do project level budgeting.

• Industry: Printing

Great product!

Reviewed on 2016/09/19

It has simplified our work quite a bit. We are no longer dependent on our previous excel-based reporting tools. Creating and modifying reports have become a very process.

Pros

Ease of implementation and use.

Cons

Still developing some modules, need time to improve

Robert
Robert

Adaptive Discovery - A picture paints a thousand words!

Reviewed on 2014/08/12

Adaptive Discovery is changing the way we communicate finances to our leadership. They have traditionally received their monthly reports containing scads of numbers. I could see their eye's glaze over at times and they often asked, "so is this good or bad", or, how does this compare with such and such a month, or how does this number compare across the other stores? Now, they have a visual representation which they can drill into and can see trends developing before their eyes. They can see at a glance if something is outside a control limit, needing their attention, or can see at a glance if things are within guidelines or reaching goals we have set. I would love to be able to be able to zoom in when differences are small by changing the scale settings on the axis'. I love this product! It is making my life easier!

Chris

Flexible and Comprehensive Planning and Reporting

Reviewed on 2016/08/01

I've been using Adaptive Planning for 4 years and at 2 employers. The software has not only improved the accuracy and accountability of our budgeting, forecasting and reporting, but has saved thousands of hours of time.

Pros

The software is flexible. It can be developed and managed internally or you can work with external experts if needed. I like that the cloud software is continuously improving and developing to meet the needs of its customers. There are new releases every six months that improve its functionality based on customer needs and requests. And more importantly, all updates are done on the cloud so that there is no need for the IT department to get involved.

Cons

There aren't many things specific to the software that I don't like. I would say that the most difficult part about using this software is managing the requests from management so that it doesn't compromise the value of the software.

Jonathan
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Powerful software, makes life easier, business insights more accessible

Reviewed on 2016/11/07

I have previous experience using Hyperion, Peoplesoft, and Microsoft Excel to create and maintain financial models. As flexible as regular spreadsheets are, it was always hard to get everybody on the same page, referencing the same numbers, using the same version. I have been using Adaptive Planning for about 1.5 years now, with about 1 year as a systems administrator for the product. FP&A has truly become simplified. This tool has saved hours upon hours every month, as well improved accuracy and timeliness of reports. This allows us to function better as a business unit, and make more proactive models and decisions. My one gripe with Adaptive is their customer support. I have had a hard time getting several issues resolved in a timely manner. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend Adaptive to anybody stuck in "spreadsheet land"--there really is a better way.

Pros

One source for all models and reported numbers. Interconnected data makes it easy to see the full effect of any changes, large or small.

Cons

Customer support needs to work on responsiveness.

Andrew
Andrew

Strong Tool that Keeps Improving

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

I like that adaptive has continued to innovate and improve their product over time. The basic plan option is solid for a SMB, though there are some individual bells and whistles that I would like it to have like Office Connect that require a more expensive membership

Cons

Learning to speak the adaptive "language" is a big barrier to entry from an employee perspective, we become afraid to change the model for fear of breaking it so we aren't leveraging all we have available to us.

Gino

Time Saver

Reviewed on 2016/10/05

Although it takes some dedicated time and experience to set this product up I would say it is the top time saving piece of software I have ever used. I was able to setup our company plan with limited assistance from Adaptive. The assistance I did receive was top notch and always available with short advance notice. I opted to use a Adaptive consultant and deal with her on the phone.
The product has been nothing but a time saver. It pays for itself many times over on a monthly basis. Being a startup I am constantly running new spins and versions of the budget and there is no way I could run as many scenarios using just excel. Days worth of work are reduced to hours. Like I said, it pays for itself many times over. I currently run a static budget and forecast on a monthly basis. I also run a one year rolling forecast that I will easily roll into my 2017 budget at year end. I would not hesitate to recommend this product to any of my fellow finance professionals.

Pros

Easy to run scenarios. Copy the forecast and make changes as necessary. Reporting is a breeze and no problems to do all kinds of variance analysis.

Cons

It's complicated to get up and running. You need a dedicated resource to take the time to learn the product. I would say my biggest issue is the weak help manuals.

Lucas
  • Industry: Events Services
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Great integration for the Workday enviroment

Reviewed on 2021/01/31

It's a great tool for managing datasets via your browser. Downloading enormous datasets for changing only one or two things just to upload it all again it's a big pain that Adaptive saves you from.

Pros

Adaptive is the next best thing you can have when managing large sets of data right from your browser. Instead of having to download big spreadsheets, it can do the heavy lifting for you right from your browser. Tools like pivot tables are easy to do and feature-rich.

Cons

When dealing with very, very large datasets, it can take some time for processing each requested step in Adaptive, giving you sometimes a lengthy loading screen.

David

Easy collaboration while building out the year's model was key to improving our efficiency.

Reviewed on 2017/05/19

Faster build and modify time of my model. Easier buy in from contributors to the model because they had access to build their part directly in the system.

Pros

Easy to gather, audit, and lock down inputs from key contributors. It was also very easy to create multiple versions and scenarios.

Cons

Struggled a little to get it to connect the way we wanted with our ERP, but that had to do with both sides. Not just Adaptive. It also does take a little time to understand how to build things out.

Samuel
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Super fast and easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

I have been in FP&A for for 5 years and have become somewhat versed in different systems and adaptive has been the best. Super fast updates with the ability to create different forecast scenarios.

Cons

Some of its features don't work on Macs, but otherwise nothing to serious here.

Melanie

Good basic functionality for financial planning & reporting

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

Pros: ease of use in that the software is cloud-based. It was also relatively easy to implement with approximately 50 users. Good customer support.

Cons

Cons: sometimes pages take too long to load, which is frustrating to users. But otherwise there are few complaints.

Stephen
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

AI Review

Reviewed on 2016/11/15

This tool enables the user easily develop (with minimal time) a nicely tailored template for what-if and Actual situational planning, forecasting and reporting of a variety of metrics. Project / performance management is assisted greatly through liberal use of intuitive dashboards and analytical tools.

Pros

> Strong, secure environment - clearly developed with an appreciation of how to treat company sensitive data.
> Appropriate security levels are easily established and maintained.
> Cloud-based connectivity is the only way to go - AI does a nice job of leveraging this platform.

Cons

> Some effort is required for setup as programming keys are built on a one-by-one basis and thus training is essential for the new user.
> From an international perspective, the consolidation of multiple currency / FX data needs additional development.
> MS Office connectivity is too limited and the user is tempted to use other sw apps where integration is superior to AI architecture.

Jarred
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great Analytics Software

Reviewed on 2018/03/20

I would recommend this product hands down over the competitors.

I would recommend this product hands down over the competitors.

Pros

Full-featured software with all the bells and whistles. It has unlimited flexibility in reporting and analysis options. The reporting features are extremely easy to use, and they can be customized and shared with ease.

Cons

Requires a lot of training to use, but it's worth it in the long run. The software is expensive, and it does require assistance with implementation since there is so much to do to get it up and running.

Adaptive Insights

Reviewed on 2016/02/25

I use adaptive planning for corporate budgeting and long term forecasting. It is a great tool that is very flexible. Being able to build the financial model in a collaborative, team based manner instead of in numerous different excel models is a much better process.

Pros

[1] Version comparison is easy for variance analysis
[2] Adaptive office connect is a very useful excel based reporting tool
[3] Flexible system based planning and scenario analysis accelerates planning cycles and reduces data integrity issues

Cons

The biggest issue that i have run into is the way actuals flow into locked plan versions.
If you have a formula in a locled plan version that references actuals and you change the actuals data, then it will change you plan numbers even though the period is locked.

Aaron Daniel
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 2022/07/15

My experience of using Workday Adaptive Planning is very good since my work is related to analyzing data's of financial planning's etc.

Pros

Workday Adaptive Planning is very convenient to use especially when it comes to financial planning solutions and enterprise planning, they really provide it.

Cons

I don't see any downside or lack of this product and that is why I rated it 10.

Tim
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

I love using Adaptive compared to the other systems I've used

Reviewed on 2018/02/09

It is a great system and the company is putting a lot of work into the product.

It is a great system and the company is putting a lot of work into the product.

Pros

I like how it is easy to use and that they thought of the things that we really need to do our job. It looks good and works.

Cons

They have an excel add in you can use and I love it. I allows you to use excel to pull data from the system and make your own reports. However, there are sometimes glitches so that's annoying.

Kevin
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Full implementation of Adaptive Planning with great results

Reviewed on 2015/03/19

Pros

Adaptive Insights is a great company to work with. They're responsive and treat their customers great. Their customer support is one of the best I've ever worked with. The product itself was very simple to use, but very powerful. We were able to create very complicated models but keep it simple enough for our end users to understand and interact with.

Cons

We've had several acquisitions and re-orgs over the last few years, and changing the structure is pretty labor intensive.

Joshua
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Easy to implement, ongoing support, frequent updates to make experience better

Reviewed on 2017/06/26

Dynamic planning, scenario analysis, administrative time reduction

Dynamic planning, scenario analysis, administrative time reduction

Pros

The quick time to value. Out of the box we were able to get immediate value, and over time we have been customizing our experience to our unique business needs.

Cons

A little bit rigid sometimes. There are a few simple functions that are possible, but require workarounds that are not really intuitive.