Kaltura Reviews

Kaltura

The Leading Video Platform

4.3/5 (16 reviews)
Jason H.

Kaltura - Great Experience for the End User - Horrible Experience for a Systems Admin

Reviewed on 2016/11/03

Kaltura is a valuable tool that integrates wonderfully with Canvas LMS. We have it set up for Teachers and Students to upload and publish videos. Kaltura has also launched In-Video Quizzing, so students watch a portion of a video, and then are prompted to answer a quiz question before they're able to continue watching. This interaction is awesome.

Kaltura's customer service, however, is horrendous! Out of all of the technologies I manage for Utah Valley University, Kaltura is by far the worst at responding to emails and fulfilling customer requests. For example, I sent an email to their customer support account and cc'd our customer success manager and technical rep over a month ago, using the instructions provided on their site, and have yet to receive any response.

Also, the Kaltura Management Console (KMC) is all Flash based. It's 2016. Seriously. Update the KMC.

Pros

Great product for end users, especially the integration with Canvas LMS.

Cons

Customer Support is the absolute worst. And the KMC is Flash based.

6.0/10
Valamere M.

Enhance Your Online Classroom Experience with Kaltura

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

This tool has been useful in providing an easy to use interface to record live sessions, welcome announcements, discussion posts, and provide media enhanced student feedback.

Pros

I love the convenience of Kaltura Video Platform because it is built into my university's learning management system (Blackboard), which does not require downloading any external tools. I like the functionalities of video with screen share capture, audio and webcam recording within an easy to use platform. Also, this platform allows you to upload and store media into your repository to later use across any of your online courses.

Cons

I have experienced technical issues while using the video capture appliance (Personal Capture). For example, after recording, the media library pops up and then my screen would freeze for a length of time. I would switch browsers and enable Adobe Flash, but was unsuccessful. So, I often use a different recording device and use Kaltura Video Platform to upload, edit, and store my media.

Easy to use video production and sharing

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Pros

Not sure if I would have selected this, it was part of the suite of programs available at the time, but was pleasantly surprised. The program was easy to use with a minimal learning curve, produced fine quality videos (even with a laptop webcam), and walked you through sharing.

Cons

Took some effort to learn; find the video tutorials and that helps.

Nancy D.

Great for making presentations

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/06/18

free

Pros

Allows for ease when organizing and developing a prenarrated presentation. Lets you upload images and take screenshots.

Cons

Short recording time so you have to make sure your narrations are well organized ahead of time and the initial software download takes a while.

Louis M.

We ran a trial of Kaltura to see how it would perform in classroom use

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Ease of use, good video quality, and more participation from my students watching the films for class.

Pros

I loved the ease of use compared to the old system we used that required login, the proper Java files, and a lot of patience. The video quality was excellent and the ability to set up pages in Canvas was a plus

Cons

I didn't not like anything about Kaltura. Our college decided to go with Ilos, and I never could figure out why. I liked them the same, and didn't find any problems with Kaltura.

Rahul S.

Video hosting with Kaltura

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

Open source video platform provider.
Another solution to host videos like Youtube, Vimeo.
Easy interface.

Cons

Katura lacks in providing a good customer support.
To play Kaltura videos you need have Flash on your system.

Debby F.

Great platform to post videos.

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

I loved the level of professionalism. Streaming was fast with no glitches. I got my work done quickly thanks to their excellent streaming quality.

Cons

Since I am on the user side of the software, I can't really think of negative things, except when I once had a problem and their customer service department weren't quick to respond.

Alex M.

Kaltura Video helped me use my school's LMS more efficiently

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/03

learning needs have been met, and that's always great!

Pros

I loved being able to upload videos to my school's LMS using Kaltura

Cons

Clunky design in certain areas made it counter intuitive

Marshall M.

Working with Kaltura

Reviewed on 2017/01/13

Kaltura is a good option for companies looking to host videos but is not comfortable using Vimeo or YouTube. Kaltura gives control of many aspects important to hosting videos. The web interface and upload process are straightforward and easy to implement into any organization.

Melissa S.

Kaltura

Reviewed on 2018/10/08

Pros

It's a free way to get my video uploaded to a website or classroom platform.

Cons

The functionality for saving video and then uploading it to an outside source was a little confusing at first. The tutorial showed buttons and functions that were not available on the version I was working with so the tutorial was frustrating at times.

6.0/10
Breanna P.

Kaltura Capture is user friendly, but lacks editing capabilities

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Pros

Easy to capture screen and audio, also fairly easy to upload to Kaltura.

Cons

If launched from browser, it can be laggy. In addition, I am not personally fond of the lack of editing tools available - options to add multiple clips together would be useful.

4.0/10
Brian B.

Easy to use video creator

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2017/08/16

Easy to setup and use, helpful video tutorials, ability for users to changes playback modes with videos with slide presentations and webcam lectures.

Pros

Excellent tool for educators who need to create videos for online students. The ability to record both a PowerPoint presentation and webcam on the same screen is awesome. The option for each student to change the playback function is very helpful to their individual learning style.

Cons

Could be competitively priced as some other video creation products which offer a free version or a longer trial period. However, the education discount is nice.

Valerie D.

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

Great for professors

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/09/03

Pros

Great to use for capturing and posting lectures

Cons

Takes a lot of trial and error to learn how to use effectively