LinkedIn Reviews

LinkedIn

Get the most from your professional network

4.5/5 (178 reviews)
Virginia B.

Professional profiles suitable for any and every guru in the world

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Pros

LinkedIn (LI) is the world’s largest professional network and career website, that allows you to easily connect with like-minded peers and industry leaders for trading ideas, sharing advice, etc. Whether you’re looking for a career, seeking out employees, or trying to become recognized as an expert within your industry LI’s simplistic platform provides it all. As a Marketer, I feel it’s important to show my own expertise to demonstrate the knowledge I have acquired and how it can be applied across various industries. LI is a great place to start a professional network. LI’s mobile application provides all the same features as the desktop platform (i.e. post, notifications, jobs, and professional network).

PROS
•Become a member of the groups in your area of interest allows you to ask specific questions, collaborate with other members, and/or post content. This is probably my favorite feature as it helps me to keep up with all the latest and greatest marketing trends, tools, and platforms. You can also revisit your LI responses to groups at any time; LI will keep a digital record for you which you can locate from your profile in “recent activity”. Regularly engaging with groups in your industry also helps to showcase your expertise and gain more visibility across your niche.
•As an alternative to gaining knowledge through the online community via LI groups, you can also use LI Messaging to connect directly with your connections one-on-one and/or can choose to include multiple individuals in a message. (LI has helps me connect my personal and professional network – I have hired helped hire two friends from my personal network this way).
•LI Ads are a simple and effective, they pertain to a smaller niche and shared focus; a great alternative to utilizing Google Ad’s.
•Businesses can create a LI company page as well as showcase pages (for events, open positions, etc.) at no expense. I would recommend that every business should have a company page on LI, as it’s the most popular professional network. Out company page has helped us bring in more sales, increase traffic to our website, find candidates to fill open positions, and helps others understand what it is that we do/what we have to offer. Company pages are used to post regular company updates and/or news, social posts about your business, content, and/or open positions… which you can measure the performance of with the analytics available to you.
•LI’s blogging interface can be used to gage where people are spending their time, what followers are interested in, and helps to boost visibility outside your network.
•Maybe there is truth to the saying, “it’s all about who you know.” I have had the opportunity of helping one of my friends get hired, when a past co-worker of mine asked if I knew any qualified candidates. If you are someone looking for a job, don’t get discouraged – keep in touch with the ones you know as well as your new connections.

Cons

•When posting on LI’s company pages make sure to completely optimize your images. Sometimes, your posts appear differently on your company pages as they do on LI’s home feed.
•Much like Google, I would not recommend running a targeted LI Ad unless you have a fairly large budget; advice I received from LI, directly account manager. In the past, we have run ads with lower budgets with an ending result, nowhere close to our ROI.

Brittney C.

Newest Features Transform Communication between Employers and Job Seekers

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Pros

I love how LinkedIn has added features that drive traffic to user profiles, allowing your profile to serve as an online resume. Rather than constantly reaching out to employers, it enables recruiters to easily reach out to potential candidates as well. One of my favorite features is the recommendation section. I have recommendations on my profile from previous supervisors and co-workers that really legitimize my work experience because recruiters can see my skill set and accomplishments, but they can also see that I have soft skills that can't be easily validated in an interview like being a team player or having a personality that meshes well with others. There's also a switch on your profile that can be turned on to let recruiters know when you are (or are not) open to new opportunities. I was offered my first full-time job 2 months before finishing grad school because I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and I am forever grateful because its been one of the best jobs I've ever had. LinkedIn is more than a professional network and I believe that it's really transforming the way that we network and approach job searching.

Cons

The things I don't like about LinkedIn are more about the people on LinkedIn than the application itself. However, I think that LinkedIn should do more about preventing those things. What I hate the most is that there are illegitimate jobs posted on LinkedIn that can be scams. In my younger years, I wasn't able to tell these scams from decent jobs. But now, I can tell the difference very easily. I wish LinkedIn would do more to filter these jobs and/or remove them, but I understand how that could be difficult to do without taking away someone's right to post what they want.

Chantel S.

Excellent Tool for Building Relationships - Tech Needs Work to Dazzle

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

Pros

The ability to connect with professionals across the world is absolutely remarkable. This tool encourages authentic engagement and community building which, in turn, often brings referrals and business opportunities. Platforms are only as strong as their users, and there have been some incredible power-users lately that make the platform truly shine which is why it is important to govern activity to prevent fraud / spam and promote super-users who can advocate for the business. Since Microsoft purchased LinkedIn, there have been many incredible adjustments, such as the addition of LinkedIn video, using GIFs and voice recordings in messaging, and I can't wait to see further enhancements.

Cons

The "Groups" functionality has a LOT of work to be done to really make it shine.
There is no "Events" category or way to show and promote networking events.
The messaging feature is very unorganized which looks like a CEO's, messy, ignored inbox.
The support is really horrible. It's basically set up as DIY in forums, but when you do have a customer service representative respond, they often aren't very well versed in the technical aspects of the tool and cannot provide adequate information / support.

Benjamin B.

Great Business Network Tool

Reviewed on 2018/05/06

Pros

I have been using LinkedIn for years as a mere employee, to remain in touch with my co-workers and to find new job opportunities. Both tasks are well managed by LinkedIn. Now, being a business owner myself, I use far more features of LinkedIn, I use it for recruiting, for remaining it touch with partners and employees, and so on.

The option to be endorsed and to receive and give recommendation is a nice extra, which I really love. Just as being able to upload titles and certificates, or to compile all your profile data into a fully fledged resume. Great tool, which I wouldn't wanna miss and almost use as much as Facebook.

Cons

LinkedIn is great and the free version does offer a lot of features. However, many of the interesting features, a business owner or recruiter would need, are included in one of the several premium packages. These appear to be quite expensive in their fees, though they do a great job. Just smaller businesses might not be able to afford it. In addition, I did not like the fact, that LinkedIn moved a way from a single Premium Subscription to a one, where you have to choose between several packages – or subscribe for more than one of these, which gets even more expensive.

Nathan S.

An honest review of LinkedIn

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

Pros

LinkedIn is everything work professionals need to connect and interact.
1) Professional social network feel - I like the ability to share posts, add comments, message connections and find jobs, or opportunities.
2) The connections feature is probably the most underrated feature of LinkedIn. It's not just enough to have connections, if your connections know you well, they can recommend you for skills, on job applications and more.
3) LinkedIn Premium features may not seem like they are worth the extra money but if you can afford it, there are some valuable features that you can use
- The most obvious one is see who had viewed your profile. For some reason you have to pay for this but it is a good feature to have.
- The Featured Applicant feature under LinkedIn Premium is great for job seekers, where you can apply for jobs and are put at the top of a recruiters list.
- E-Learning courses - LinkedIn allows you to also take elearning courses (from their purchase of Lynda.com) to update your skills and even save courses for future reference.

Cons

1) LinkedIn tends to send too many emails notifications over the course of the week. There is a way to turn them off but it seems a bit odd that a social network would be sending out so many emails.
2) Not everyone will find the premium features useful. Yes it is great to be able to apply for jobs or see who has viewed your profile, but those do not always seem to justify the cost of membership.

Praveen R.

I use LinkedIn to stay connected to the professional world

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

Pros

Searching for jobs was not an easy job before and job sites were charging considerably high fees from the candidates just for applying for a job. LinkedIn came in to the market to change all these conventional job searches. There are different ways to get hired through LinkedIn. First is, through the connections, if you add connections sensibly after doing some research you will surely land in your dream job with the help of this connections' recommendations. Next is through the dedicated job section provided. We can search for jobs using keywords, location, title or salary and apply. Nowadays, I can see that high profile jobs also are being posted though LinkedIn.

Cons

LinkedIn is free for normal users and to enable advanced search features like sorting the search results using number of employees, total revenue, job function etc., we need to upgrade to either Sales Navigator or Recruiter which costs high. Other premium features doesn't actually give unlimited people search in fact.

Murali K.

Professional networking at its best!

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

Pros

LinkedIn is without a doubt the best app for anyone who looks for a better professional networking than ever before. LinkedIn gives real freedom to browse through unlimited profiles if we pay a small subscription fee every month. They give us a chance to check their premium services with one month trial. I have subscribed to their LinkedIn sales navigator plan as I do lead generation a lot every day. The instant messaging feature is such a plus point. The Inmail messaging which is offered every month with the premium plan is also a better way to reach out to people.

Cons

LinkedIn sales navigator shows the search results but when we click on person's profile, it will only;y take us to a page that says 'this connection is out of your network' and we will not be able to see the person's details at all. Only increasing the number of connections is the remedy to this.

A Necessity In The World Of The Modern Professional

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

Pros

- Constantly updating interface
- Relatively strong Find People algorithms serve up colleagues that are loose, but associated, connections
- Easily apply for jobs within the Linkedin platform
- On the recruiting side: sending inmails to potential candidates is painlessly easy - especially with the new broadcast job seeking status feature
- On the hiring side: the job postings on Linkedin are second to none, great organization, skill sorting, and screening. We get the most high quality candidate leads from Linkedin.

Cons

- On the job seeking side: frustrating that you have a limited amount of people searches
- The feature that shows who's viewed your profile isn't really necessary, and prevents people from viewing profiles of prospective candidates/colleagues
- Seems to be some presence of fake profiles
- Recruiters mass sending inmails are very flakey

LinkedIn - Gotta Have it, Not Sure What to do with It

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

If you're seriously in the business community you have to have a LinkedIn profile it seems. How best to use it, however, is all across the board. We primarily use ours as an "electronic business card", and a starting point to find prospective clients - we have not used the LinkedIn platform itself to reach out to prospects as I know we should be, but hopefully this year we will implement that in earnest.

Pros

A great way of finding and researching prospective clients, employers, and vendors. Keeps us fairly up to date on who has moved to what position or firm within our sphere of influence.

Cons

We still mourn the loss of synchronization with Outlook - being able to have LinkedIn data and modifications flow down to our contact list was invaluable to us. Wish there was a lower-priced option for a subset of Premium features for who has searched, sending emails, etc.
The product focus and management seems to have drifted since its purchase by Microsoft.

Varun K.

Helps to stay connected with the key people!

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

LinkedIn is without doubt the world's largest professional network. More than 90% of the working professionals in India have a LinkedIn account and more than 65& of them monitors and updates their account at least once every week. I hand pick people and send connection requests to them so that no unnecessary people are included in my network. That helps me to stay well connected to the people who can help me with my professional needs. The customer support helps to solve any issues we face. They are fast and prompt in replying to customer queries.

Cons

Linkedin advertises that their services are free, but they set a limit even to their basic feature called 'people search' for the customers with free plan. But I am happy that I didn't have to pay a penny yet to use LinkedIn as I only have to search with in its limits.

Sundeep G.

Linkedin was the best but is it still the best?

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

Pros

If there is a professional networking platform one thinks of then Linkedin is the only thing that anyone would think of. Linkedin has the largest number of professionals compared to any other platform and networking is also quite easy. There are a ton of opportunities whoever you are, it really gets sweet for Sales and HR departments in particular.

Cons

Linkedin was best with the groups, networking and all the other features but slowly people started moving away from Linkedin into other platforms, there seems to be a lot of buzz on Reddit, Facebook and other social networking platforms. Linkedin is not doing much in terms of promoting as well and with its subscription based model, I do not believe that Linkedin will be going deep into the future.

7.0/10
Bradley W.

A Great Way to Get Your Foot in the Door

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

Pros

LinkedIn has become the defacto professional social networking site. Most tech-savvy professionals have an account, and this makes it a great way to meet new folks in industries that you're interested in getting into. Features like your "connection number" to any given user help you make networking connections that can be valuable in finding the next person who will help you meet the person that might be able to connect you in an industry. The platform has traditional social media elements, as well as as job-posting board, making it a multi-faceted tool that can be a great place to go for those seeking employment (as well as those looking to hire!).

Cons

For those using the platform to seek employment, there is a bit of a learning curve in how to optimize their account for best usage. Similar to Search Engine Optimization (SEO), there is a lot that users can do to get the most eyes on their materials, and that learning curve might turn some traditional users off. Similarly, there is a substantial amount of etiquette that users should be aware of that they might not be.

Great way to connect with others for opportunities

Reviewed on 2018/03/10

Pros

LinkedIn has been my go-to for job searching and finding out more about a company and what their mission is. I've been an avid user of it every time I'm searching for roles that I've just heard about and am curious for what that position entails. It also helps you connect with others (i,e, colleagues, recruiters) for future opportunities that may arise which might suit you.

Cons

Sometimes, the messages get a little crowded with desperate recruiters. I think LinkedIn has created an option to turn off those messages so that recruiters know you are no longer working, but even with my option off, I still constantly get messages. Hopefully this'll be fixed soon.

An effective social place for professionals and corporates.

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

Pros

This is the only best social app for professionals and corporates. It is the most effective platform to connect with professionals and corporates and showcase your skills for better growth opportunities. It helps me a lot in my professional life by connecting me with the people of my industry. It helps me to get better job opportunities also.

Cons

Sometimes i realise that this app fails in giving me recommendations from my industry. Initially when i signed up in this app I found it hard to search for people from my industry even after filling up my whole professional details. After couple of months i get recommendations of the people from my industry.

George W.

a great communication platform between professionals.

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Pros

Linkedin is a very easy-to-use platform that allows you to maintain contact with networks of professionals from all over the world. To start and have access you only have to have a mail account and then put your basic data (name, work, studies, skills) and you can start to create your own professional network, promote your work, opt for new projects and even as in my case, reencontrarme with old classmates.
There are two types of subscription, so you can choose to have a free version or a paid version, but in reality the free version is almost as good (and with almost the same functions) that I do not know if the paid version is really worth it .

Cons

in itself, I think my only complaint is that if you do not configure well, you will constantly receive mail and linkedin notices that finally take up a lot of space in your email account. Besides that, I think it does not have much more to improve or change.

Great platform for job seekers | Sales & Marketing Professionals

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Right from the beginning of my college days, LinkedIn has helped me to contact the right professionals for getting internships, as well as job. I use LinkedIn for doing promotions and also for business development by identifying and contacting the appropriate lead. LinkedIn also offers free courses in several domains, that's something which makes it unique.

Pros

Simple, good UI, and easy to use
It helps professionals to get connected with other target people.
We can also use it as an advertising tool.
Using the Sales Navigator allows us to send InMail to a targeted lead.

Cons

Can send InMail only after purchasing the premium account of LinkedIn.
Limited search filters are available.

Highly recommened for all Sales and Marketing Profesionals

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

LinkedIn is professionally recognized and globally used platform. It has always helped use in lead generation and posting the relevant blogs on website. We can see how many impressions we have received and get that data into calling or further engagements.

Pros

LinkedIn is helping our team to achieve great success with respect to connecting the right party of contacts. We can interact with our prospects over LinkedIn and add value towards our products by creating more desire to buy our products. LinkedIn directly increase the number of leads resulting in more logos on board.

Cons

Only one dislike - They should have an option of direct contact number.

Facebook for business issues

Reviewed on 2019/01/20

Pros

I use it both to manage our company's account and the private one. I like the fact that LinkedIn is becoming the network to share some longer, business posts. I also think that LinkedIN groups is a great chance to gain all the pros in one place (unfortunately the biggest ones seem to be just the next place to get in, leave a link, get out).

Cons

I think they should resign from the "birthday feature". It bothers you with the notification and it's clear it was made just to create more user engagement. In my opinion in the professional network it's totally useless.

A professional showcase for everyone

Reviewed on 2018/08/12

Pros

Ability to connect with people to maintain your network is great. You can look for jobs based on job title or subject area. You can look the profile of other professionals in your area to connect and get advice and also learn more about their work. One stop and appropriate to connect with your work folks who you want to keep away from social profiles like facebook.

Cons

Job suggestions stink. They don't really match with your specific skills or expertise but show broad skills in your degree area. It would be nice to see more jobs really like the ones you apply!

Best Social Media Platform for Professional.

Reviewed on 2018/10/18

Pros

I am using LinkedIn from past 3 years and it's most user friendly and great social media platform to connect with Professional users. I have used LinkedIn sales navigator too, it's great platform for a lead generation and to know the updates and news of any company. You can showcase your Experience and Skill and you will find great opportunity for a job from HR.

Cons

Honestly speaking there is no cons in LinkedIn, but some time I find irritating advertisement of GSUITE directly on my inbox. But that can be disable once you are a premium member of LinkedIn.

Monic D.

Connect with people and expand to new opportunities

Reviewed on 2019/01/19

Pros

Simple, straightforward, and yet it can take you to leaps and bounds with the network you can build. LinkedIn is one of the most useful and probably the most valuable online networking tool that's solved so many problems that I didn't even realised existed until now, e.g. exchanging messages with strangers without giving personal information, trying to remember a person you've met in a social event, finding out more about a company and the culture they have through LinkedIn users. LinkedIn is a go-to for me and my company when we need to reach out to partners, at the same time it's a platform that's presented so many opportunities for me globally.

Cons

The algorithm is a bit off, as far as I can see. I do not appreciate when certain posts by companies appear on my feed, rather than posts by people I'm connected with. I'd like to see more from individuals than businesses.

Great for job seekers and starting a conversation globally

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

Great if you want to stay connected to co-workers and provide reference checks in a dignified manner. Has helped me check on organisations I'm speaking with too!

Cons

Limited functionality for free users in terms of emailing and also for non-profits. I had an incident last year where a new board were voted in in a NON-PROFIT and the previous chairman started the page and refused to give the LinkedIn password, LinkedIn wouldn't close the page although we had the full trust deed to supply in evidence.

GREAT platform for building PROFESSIONAL NETWORK

Reviewed on 2018/03/10

Pros

I have been using LinkedIn for almost 3 years, it is a must-have tool for all professionals. Thanks to it you get a chance to connect with other professionals from all over the world, with your co-workes nad friends. You can also fill up your CV with all your skills and easily share it with others.

Cons

LinkedIn has improved a lot as compared to its previous versions. It has a better interface, UX is also more similar to other social platforms. But it still needs a little tweaking here and there.

One of the best networking and sales tools out there

Reviewed on 2018/08/23

Pros

LinkedIn makes it really easy to showcase your work history and find the right people to connect with. If you want to build your network, or need to rely on your network, this is the place to be.

Cons

LinkedIn restricts the amount of searches you can do on the free platform. Since upgrading to the paid platform that hasn't been an issue, except sometimes they limit the number of out-of-network profiles you can view. If your new to LinkedIn and have a small network, this is going to be challenging.

Galina M.

Great professional network

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Pros

Good professional network, keep informed about news in industries I am interested in, new professional contacts, changes in carriers of my network contacts. I specially like the updates about new job opportunities and find useful direct application process.

Cons

I believe accepting new unknown people in my professional network is normal but there always is the risk of fake profiles. Sometimes is difficult to find an article published more than few days ago by my network contacts.