ShareFile Reviews

ShareFile

Secure file sharing and sync

4.5/5 (230 reviews)

Great as a File Storage System

Reviewed on 2019/08/03

We put Sharefile in place without an IT admin or any IT specialists on hand. A group of four of us tackled the transition from our university's shared drive, handling the data migration and the set up of folder structures. Because of this, I'm sure we didn't have all file storage best practices down pat. I don't know that Citrix provides much in way of recommendations for how to structure the data; that said, we only purchased Sharefile rather than a more enterprise-minded solution. I am sure with heftier purchases that there'd be more consultation and interaction. For the several-thousand annual price we pay for a team of around 40, the benefits of Sharefile are immense. As with any system of this size that's cloud-based, there's a bit of a learning curve to get comfortable with the more in-depth features and functionality, but once we learned how certain aspects work, it's been great and has become a core part of how we conduct the sharing of files with clients.

Pros

Cloud-based and easy to understand web interface is nice. Onboarding and implementation was good and inexpensive. The check-in and check-out file features are nice, as are the abilities to share files with external users. The security and uptime as well as ability to resolve any system-wide outages quickly.

Cons

Some frustrations in features that I was expecting to be more fully fleshed out, such as workflows or ability to work on documents online without the lag of connecting with 365 and handling some of those handovers.

Michael W.

Beta tester turned daily user

Reviewed on 2016/06/29

I have a long history with Citrix. I beta tested the GoToAssist line of products. So they asked me to beta test the ShareFile product. In the beginning it was crap. I tried to upload my files (about 1 TB) and it croaked after 5 GB. I called support and they referred me to a company that was writing a migration tool. I beta tested that too. they asked for my honest opinion and I gave it to them. I told them Citrix should just fix their software and I shouldn't have to buy an extra tool to get my data into the cloud.

Fast forward 2 years later, my Accountant tells me we are bleeding money paying for something we're not using (ShareFile) he said use it or dump it. So I download it again, started using it, uploaded my 1TB+ of data into it and was impressed. They have come a LONG way. I can even modify word documents and PDF's within the ShareFile client. Now they have an iOS app and droid app. I see improvements on a regular basis, like now they have a "save to sharefile" option on the iOS. This is Citrix after all they make good stuff. I am glad I stuck with them so long because now I have a grandfathered account type. It's coming along really well and I'm really happy I stuck with them. they used to support WebDav for windows integration, now they have a "Mapped drive app"

Pros

iOS save to sharefile
Easy to use interface
progress bar when uploading files
MODIFY DOCUMENTS in sharefile
share a file/folder for a # of downloads
share a file/folder for a # of days
download notifications
no sharefile account? no problem you can still see my files
Ha Ha I FORCE you to create an account, to see me files because I can! (or because my regulations state I have to require individual accounts.)

Cons

Relatively speaking they are coming late to the market, Box and Dropbox have been out a long time. I'm trying to think of some con's but the truth is I know they are improving the software as I type.

Oh I though of one. In Microsoft word they don't have "save to sharefile" option like dropbox does, but they do have the "Drive mapper app" so you can save it to Z: or whatever.

They don't synchronize with my NAS, it's deliberate. I'm a network engineer I tried all the tricks and workarounds, yes even symbolic links and hard links. They don't work. You're not supposed to do it. They're not trying to be a backup for your NAS.

I deployed ShareFile on my platform

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

ShareFile is easy to use. The Outlook plug-in allows an easy way for customers to send secure files as well as secure emails with a few short clicks. Users are able to create their own folders and we share folders with our clients. There are templates for subfolders as well as retention periods for files. We are able to send attachments beyond Outlook's size limitations and ShareFile helps scan for potentially dangerous content. You can also control what network users access their ShareFile account. There are a lot of options available if you're looking to protect information that leaves your company.

Cons

There can be issues with downloading a lot of files at once from the browser. However; Citrix makes a ShareFile desktop app this helps speed up this process. You can turn two factor on, but you have to have each user go to their account and manually enable it. That makes us work with each user in order to enable two factor. The cost can be expensive, but we had reduced rate. Its well worth looking around for a good deal if you decide to implement ShareFile. A small downside is when a user goes to preview a password protected document, they have to download the file because ShareFile's website cannot prompt you for the password.

Levi F.

Turned a file sharing mess into an easy to use hub for our plants.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

It cut down the time it took our workers to properly catalogue and upload video records. It also was easier to track down mis-labled records and put them where they needed to be. Having switched all our plants over to Sharefile, we are better able to view and respond to issues promptly. It's ease of use has left us with fewer errors in our documentation.

Pros

The web interface was easy to pick up on. We migrated to Sharefile from another large file sharing site that was falling short in what we needed for our multiple plants. Sharefile gave a central space to the large amount of video files we use for inspections and documentation of various equipment that we own and lease. Having a central space to record and track all inspections was fundamental to our business needs. What impressed me most about Sharefile was the cleanliness of the website and the ease of use that it exemplifies. It took less than an hour to get all our workers on board with the how to use the site and catalog our files.

Cons

The only real down side is with the gross amount of folders we have, you have to wait for the page to populate when you reach the end of the first set. Enabling a manual shortcut (like typing in a folder name to take you to that folder) would be a great benefit.

Joey P.

Secure File Sharing Solution

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Pros

Easy to navigate UI. ShareFile has an add-on that integrates into standard Outlook email platform. The add-on allows you to email large files using a secure third party FTP, where sensitive documents can only be accessed by permitted parties. It's easy to set permissions if you allow the document to be shared with others. Works well for cloud sharing documents and files where collaboration is needed. You can set a time duration for files to automatically delete themselves, so that makes managing storage capacity easier.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of. Perhaps for some people who are not tech savvy might have trouble setting up their personal preferences, but this could apply to any software. I found it easy and intuitive to set up using the web app, mobile app, and the Outlook extension.

Michael C.

Great file storage and management that has grown along with our organization

Reviewed on 2018/04/15

Since jumping on board with ShareFile in 2012, the platform has grown along with our organization and has allowed us to reliably request, store and manage client advertising materials for our publication. It has also helped automate our internal and external communication processes regarding advertising material.

Pros

One of our most-used features of ShareFile is setting up our clients with individual folders to allow them to upload and store their advertising creative. This is similar to FTP, but ShareFile allows us to receive notifications based on upload, download, etc on a per-folder and per-user basis. We also set it up to notify the client when their ad is downloaded by a member of our team, thereby completely automating the ad delivery process for our publication. The other great feature of ShareFile that we use is desktop app synchronization. This allows ads to be curated by our ad manager and delivered to our production team automatically.

Cons

The web interface can be a bit hit or miss at times, and performance can also vary. The desktop sync apps also are a bit sluggish and would benefit from an improvement in responsiveness.

Matt "griff" K.

Webhosted Data Storage

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

Departments did not want to have files hosted locally due to potential server outages as we did not have a great server setup. This was achieved, but with internet outages it makes it difficult to access those files.

Pros

Sharefile at it's most basic a cloud hosted file server instead of hosting one within an office or company. It does allow also the ability to send download links, given the right permissions, for customers to upload or download specific files. Being hosted offsite, it definitely gives an upside for not having to maintain servers or an IT rack within the office.

Cons

If your outside internet connection goes down, then you have no access to your file structure. This happens to if you are a remote person trying to access an office hosted server. The other issue can be bandwidth for uploading/downloading to Sharefile. When we first started using it, it was also very slow and cumbersome, taking several times longer to upload or navigate than a locally hosted server. We also experience at least 1-2 internet downtime events a month, so people cannot access their work for certain periods of time.

7.0/10

Sharefile is a quick easy way to manage, store, host, receive, request, and transmit documents.

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

This software gives me a peace of mind I couldn't get through many other document repository sites. I suppose the only issue is some of my clients aren't sure how secure transmissions of unencrypted data is via the site.

Pros

I don't ever worry about Sharefile glitching. When my coworker experienced trouble syncing, she told me the support team she called stayed on the phone with her and walked her through everything and waited to make sure the issues resolved. It puts my mind at ease, which is very important when talking about all the documentation for everything I do. My business relies on my documentation. It's great knowing it's also cloud-hosted so I don't have to worry about losing access due to any potential hardware malfunctions.

Cons

I don't have much to say in terms of cons related to Sharefile's service and product. It is so straightforward and user friendly. It's intuitive - my boss was shocked when I had downloaded, synced, and set up the whole company Sharefile on my new device before he got the chance to explain what I needed to do. I attribute that to the intuitive, consistent, helpful design.

Greg P.

Very versitile and easy to figure out program

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

overall experience was very good and will continue to recommend it where I work and for my clients.

Pros

The software includes a number of additional features, including secure email, and the ability to easily and affordably add more. I have used this software now at three different companies. Set up was easy and the help center guidance was very good.

Cons

Set up of folders was a little tedious and slightly cumbersome but was very easy to figure out and add/subtract people as needed.

Justin H.

Works just as we hoped

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Pros

This product was a part of a bundle deal we purchased with Podio. Podio was the original program we went after, but when we realized this would be part of the deal, we were very pleased. Before we had been storing files on everyone dropbox and google drive accounts, and it became tedious to keep up with all of the logins and which account the files were on. Now, all of our cloud files are in one place. It is very easy to share large files with other companies or our field crews through sharefile. It also has an addin for outlook that will automatically generate a link if the attachments in the email are too large (user defined size), which is fantastic. It takes out the guessing game of, hmm....I wonder if this email will go through or not.

Cons

Having used this product for over a year now, at least weekly, I have not had any issues with the software. We did not shop around too much for cloud storage services, however, I cannot speak for certain to the price and features of the competition out there.

Maxime D.

Sharefile : A good product with unresolved bugs for years !

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Overall, it's a very good/solid product, with usefull features and good UX/UI.
Sadly, the persistent bugs and the slowness of the upload for multiple low volume files make Sharefile impossible to use as repository : it is a good tool to share 1/2 files with clients via emails, nothing more.

Pros

Ease of use, basic functionnalities do work properly, connectivity with Outlook (via Sharefile plug-in)

Cons

The recurent bugs / issues that see no corrections (for years).
The first ones that come in mind :
- every 4-6 months, you have to reinstall Sharefile desktop because the app is not the same anymore. Same for the Sharefile plugin for Outlook.
- ~90% of the time, you have to launch Sharefile desktop twice to start it. It happens on all computers I've tested Sharefile desktop on (rouhgly 20 computers with different setups)
- With 'double validation' connexions, you'll receive as many as 3 SMS, most of the time I receive 2 of them (only one containing the right validation code). Same happens for many Sharefile users I know.

3.0/10
Marco F.

Very flexible business

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

ShareFile is the business application that tries to replicate that "Dropbox Look and Feel" loved by millions users. Thought for organizations, it offers premium features like Workflow and highest security standards. The desktop app allow to sync local and cloud folders easily, and a plugin for Outlook is available too (it's a share link generator, embedded in the mail client). Main benefits are surely linked with security, because ShareFile can be implemented within the IT infrastructure, and becomes the safe-but-easy-to-use bridge between internal file servers and outside users (customer / providers / consultants / auditors / banks / other stakeholders).

Pros

- Dropbox Look & Feel
- Multi platform (Desktop apps + Mobile apps for Win / Mac / iOS / Android)
- Advanced sharing option (like expiration date / upload-download notifications)
- Users management (granular privileges can be assigned to any folder or file)
- Versioning feature

Cons

No downsides or weaknesses, so far. Both desktop and mobile apps are pretty stable and servers uptime on clouds is near 100% (no issue observed in the first year of continuos use).

Aanchal V.

Best tool to share big files!

Reviewed on 2018/03/31

Pros

The feature that I love the most is that I do not have to checkin any document. Its simple drag and drop feature makes it very easy to use. Every time I have a big file to share, Sharefile is always my first preference. Unlike other file sharing tools, Sharefile lets you share a direct link with anyone. The person at the other end does not really have to worry about the whole file structure, the only thing visible is the one particular file that has been shared.

Cons

Though the tool is extremely easy to use, there is no lock feature available. If the environment were to be accessed by multiple users at the same time, there could be version related issues. Though the different versions can be seen easily yet this tool does not seem to have the required amount of sophistication required for a very professional setup.

Customizable, Secure, and Beyond Simple

Reviewed on 2018/11/25

We began looking for an enterprise solution to file sharing/signing and was hoping to reduce user burden by having the solution serve a host of functions. We were particularly intrigued by the prospect of secure file collaboration but this feature was not as user friendly and compared to Google docs, there was a lot lacking.
While this prevented widespread implementation, several teams nonetheless still rely on sharefile. The continued acquisitions by Citrix also make one wonder how Sharefile will continue to improve/integrate over the next iterations.

Pros

Being able to send clients to a personal, branded client folder to access whatever they need (with my customized security settings and email alerts) was amazing.
Also a huge fan of the send me a file link that can be embedded into email signature blocks

Cons

The 2 main shortcomings of the product are what keeps it from being an Enterprise wide solution (though it is nonetheless superb for secure document sharing and signing).
I did not test the Outlook plugin, but the Gmail plugin was not nearly as easy as it was made out to be.

Kevin H.

Great if you need HIPAA compliant sharing

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

The biggest issue we had was that we needed HIPAA compliant file sharing, and it fits the need perfectly.

Pros

As a Citrix product it carries the usual value for the price, ease of use, and reliability you can expect from them. A huge plus is that it is also HIPAA compliant, and was the most cost-efficient solution we found that was.

Cons

We haven't had any negatives at all with using ShareFile so far, and we've been using it for about 2 years now.

Tapan J.

Sharefile - File sharing made easy

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Pros

Sharefile has attempted to enable the users share files larger than what their email servers support without doing anything different than the usual. They can still attach a large file using Sharefile plugin and send the mail to the recipient. It also provides an option to upload the file on their server and then share the link to the file with the intended recipients. It facilitates file access from anywhere and any device for the recipient. Files are always secured by encryption while they are stored in their servers as well as during transit. One can be in complete control of their content and change the access permissions anytime from anywhere.

Cons

It doesn't provide a feature to add another layer of protection such as 2 Way Authentication which can make the user feel more secure rather than just rely on Sharefile's security expertise. Also, it doesn't have a software client which can be installed on the machines which hampers the ability for all the contents in a folder to be in sync at all the devices.

ShareFile is great for sharing data with others

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

Pros

ShareFile has a plethora of tools to help you backup and share documents. The new drive letter access available in Windows Explorer is fast, just like any other drive on your computer. This makes it easy to save and share documents. The google mail sharing extension also allows you to quickly create a link to a document with an expiration date.

Cons

Website features change and there is little communication about what is being updated. On rare occassions, there are problems accessing files due to a database error or a lack of website response that may require help from ShareFile. Lastly, files generally have an automatic expiration date when they should auto-delete in 365 days, but sometimes do not.

Holly R.

Easy to use, awesome customer service!

Reviewed on 2018/02/19

It's very user-friendly, easy to use and the customer service is outstanding. They are always offering free webinars to help you get the most out of their product,

Pros

Sharefile is very user-friendly which is extremely helpful for our clients. Sending huge files that contain personal information can be scary, particularly to our clientele,. So, to have something that is easy to use, yet safe, makes a huge difference. Their customer service is outstanding. If you have a question of any kind, they are always available to answer questions and offer solutions as to how to get the most out of this software.

Cons

The biggest issue I have is that not everyone uses it. In the Elder Law arena, many clients and even state and county offices are resistant to change and technology, and would rather just rely on using tons of paper. I'm really hoping that this changes in the near future.

Peter W.

Convenient means to store, share and organize files, it is also great for collaborative tasks

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Sharefile offers a secure way of storing and sharing files within our organization. You can send even the big files fast and securely. You can also send links to specific file to a colleague and this ensures they download the right file.

Pros

I like that ShareFile allows us to keep all important documents safe and secure. It allows you to upload large files even those that emails cannot send. Only the authorized persons can access files and this makes it safe for sharing crucial/sensitive files. It offers file backup since everything is stored in the cloud. You can access file with any devices at any time from anywhere.

Cons

The cost is high and the free trial seems too short. The desktop app seems to work well than when you access it with your PC browser. We have not had any major problems with this tool but poor internet coverage might block you from accessing files.

William M.

Security with Ease!

Reviewed on 2019/06/19

I wish I had known about this solution sooner. The time my staff save and the overall ease of use make it a wonder product. I feel very secure in Citrix's hands with this product.

Pros

Citrix ShareFile works seamlessly with my Office Outlook and provides piece of mind for me and my clients when sending sensitive information through email. The robust functionality allows me to control who and for how long certain individuals have access to confidential information. Gone are the days of encrypting individual documents, just drag and drop and ShareFile will take care of the rest. It's a real time saver.

Cons

It may be a little pricey for small businesses (i.e. Sole proprietors).

Rob B.

Cloud-based file storage

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

This program is great for small to large businesses alike. ShareFile gives you multiple tools to access your data including a desktop app, sync tool, drive mapper (to emulate a drive that links to your data) and an Outlook add-in that allows you to send and request files. The add-in even lets you set the attachment size so that anything larger will be turned into a storage location within ShareFile so you don't clog peoples' mail boxes with a lot of large attachments.

Cons

Support is not always that fast. If you have a lot of information to transfer you need to be patient as the upload tool for the initial file transfer can take some time.

Miguel R.

Flexible and easy to use Business Class Secure file sharing

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

Benefits include: Secure file sharing and collaboration tool. Support is great and is inclusive in subscription.

Pros

Collaboration tools built-in are easy to use without need for training. Setup and configuration are simple and intuitive that can get an entire agency running up quickly. Rules and policy are easy to deploy where your able to use tracking tools. Overall a great business class sharing tool with many options that supersede others in the same market space

Cons

Its not free. You cant compare to google drive or MS onedrive, however Sharefile offers better security and tools. Support is part of what you pay for as they provide full support of system.

Tracey F.

We used ShareFile as our primary file sharing program. I upload, download, and share files daily.

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

I like that our files can be easily shared internally and externally and are mostly organized. I am able to access files from my phone or any computer.

Pros

I love that you can save a version to your desktop and it works just like a regular file folder. It is also nice to be able to access shared files on the internet wherever you are. I also like that you can star your most used folders and only sync content that you use the most, but still access anything you need quickly.

Cons

Sometimes, multiple versions are created if people forget to check out files which is confusing to sort through, and on heavily used files, there have been we have lost modifications.

Kurt M.

ShareFile is great for small business in health care industry

Reviewed on 2017/09/13

Ease of use cloud-based data base that is encrypted far above and beyond the requirements of HIPAA. This is a great product.

Pros

This is one of the easiest software applications we have employed and is HIPAA-compliant. That is very important for small businesses engaged in the healthcare field and dealing with PHI. Small businesses not using this software are doing themselves a disservice.

Cons

For small businesses, I would prefer that they have a flat fee for companies less than 10 employees. The cost per person is a bit much when we have to have fees for part time people, as well. Outside that, there really is nothing we dislike about ShareFile.

Cream of the crop file sharing

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Pros

This is hands down the best file sharing utility out there. Tons of authentication methods including SAML, Windows Integrated and very simple to use. This tool has variants which are geared towards every industry imaginable such as healthcare, finance, legal, etc. The ability to have things such as stub files suing the drive mapper is an excellent way to deliver files without the use of much storage.

Cons

The price can be a bit steep especially when using cloud based storage. Other than the price, there is really no reason to not use this software, it is excellent in every way.