Workzone Reviews

Workzone

Cloud-Based Project Management Made Easy

4.6/5 (94 reviews)
Christine M.

Great Project Management tool!

Reviewed on 2019/08/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My team uses this for our corporate marketing efforts. We support all internal teams with collateral, graphic design, powerpoint deck creation, landing page and website updates, internal emails, external emails, social media posts, etc. We use Workzone to keep track of all of our deliverables and to show the value we are bringing to our business.

Pros

I really like the features and functionality and the customer service for this tool. You can tell that the company really cares, and they help me solve for specific project management organization and reporting issues that my team faces, and taught me some best practices for utilizing this tool to solve for our problems. Great tool if you have multiple team members and multiple projects going on at once. My favorite feature is the calendar, and how you can select which tasks you want to appear on the calendar. Great in helping our team have greater visibility to everything going on each day.

Cons

The price is steep for multiple users, we have about 20 users. They do have a tiered pricing structure, but it's still more expensive than our previous tool.

Kevin S.

Workzone rollout, Daily use

Reviewed on 2019/08/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Excellent experience, the tech support is terrific, online questions are answered immediately, most times a simple Google search results in your answer. Phone support is off the charts, I only had to leave a voicemail a few times and a follow up call was returned right away. Follow up from the sales/implementation team is excellent as well. I have used other products in a past work environment and this has been a main issue for me in the past, not so with the Workzone team.

Pros

Intuitive design/functionality. Flexible configuration/set-up, the product allows you to define user roles between different project types with the same individuals, (i.e. users can be reviewers in one work space while having a higher role defined in a different work space). Very cost effective product for our size of a company, to receive this powerful functionality at this cost point was important. We use it for engineering, sales/marketing as well as production/shop projects. We intend to eventually adapt our Quality-Six Sigma projects to use Workzone. Management really likes the visibility/accountability and reporting provided by Workzone. The time tracking function is easy to use and was a big seller for management.

Cons

When entering new tasks it is a little cumbersome to set the sequence of the tasks in the project view. The due date and task completion time automatically re-shuffle the sequence so if you make a mistake entering a task or sub task it can get confusing. It is easier in the GANNT chart view. Some users who aren't comfortable using a GANNT chart struggle a little bit with this when first starting out.
Project numbering by the automatic feature is restrictive, you cannot adapt it if you have a current method for numbering projects, so you still have to keep a data base/list of project numbers.

Michele F.

WrokZone-Project Management One stop shop

Reviewed on 2019/03/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall experience with WZ has been great and I don't say that lightly. WorkZone has helped transform our PMO and our enterprise. We have been with WZ since 2015. The driver behind us looking for a solution and selecting WZ was primarily driven by the lack of transparency in our organization and the WZ tool provides the visibility we need from a project, resource perspective as well as providing the organization the enterprise picture of all projects in the works, upcoming and ones to be reviewed.

Pros

We all know that moving or using different tools brings inherit challenges but with the WorkZone platform, the transition is pretty simple. The platform itself is really user friendly, there are training modules, videos, how to guides and an awesome sales/support team to help your organization through the process.
Key benefit take-aways-ease of resource use, easy set-up, PMO 1 stop solution from project requests (project intake process), document management for projects, time tracking of resource tasks and portfolio reporting (must have for my company) and other key reporting reports are already built into the system. The ability to comment and tag people for input has also been extremely value add as all of those comments go into WZ and you can see the history before the project was assigned or kicked off.

Cons

There are a couple idiosyncrasies from a project management perspective. None of which are showstoppers and have easy workarounds.

PM's seem to be continually challenged using FS (finish to start) for task planning.
No critical path-this is actually an upcoming WZ to-do
No project to project dependencies-this is actually an upcoming WZ to-do
No true milestones (0days duration)-WZ is time based so every tasks needs time allocated. 1min is the workaround we use along with the milestone category.

Amy L.

Workzone makes project management a snap.

Reviewed on 2019/05/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Project management is just one of the many facets of my job. After researching several software packages, Workzone met all of our needs for assigning and tracking marketing and design projects and well as task management for our events team. We use Workzone every day and would be lost without it.

Pros

- Ease of use is key. The training we provide for new team members takes about 1/2 hour.
-The cost of Workzone (for us, a nonprofit organization) was a pro. We have all the facets of the product we need and the cost is very reasonable (especially compared to other products we tested).
- Customer service deserves an "A" if not an "A+".
-Because project management is just a facet of our job, WorkZone appealed to us because it had just the right amount of features, without being overwhelming.

Cons

- I wish there were more templates set up for the type of projects we use (design and copy). Now that we've used WorkZone for several years, they may have these, but we've built out own.
- You can easily get carried away with email notifications, especially if you oversee many projects/ staff. (This is customizable and probably has more to do with how we choose to use WorkZone.)

Rachel F.

Great tool for any Project Manager

Reviewed on 2019/07/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We manage several hundred construction projects from bidding, to design to shipping. These projects can run for years and Workzone has helped us stay organized. We have all the information about he job at our fingertip. Reminders helps us stay on top of projects before due dates. The ease of the platform allows everyone (designers, sellers and yard operators ) the ability to stay on task by sharing and pass the baton when their part is done. This has helped us reduce errors, ensure deadlines are met and spend less time looking for information.

Pros

We have been using this software for about three years now and cannot imagine life without it. Best thing about the software is the ease of use. For a software that's so robust, it's quite intuitive. The team have been able to figure out how to navigate around with minimal training. We also like that we can store files with the tasks and can set reminders. Although we haven't had to use them a whole lot, customer service has been very responsive.

Cons

Getting reports is not idea, but this may be more what we need. Reporting functionality if fine and I can usually extract the information I need and manipulate it to get what I want.

Kristina S.

Love it!

Reviewed on 2019/06/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have been using Workzone for 6 years now and couldn't function without it. It keeps me organized and ensures that none of my projects fall behind. Not only are there graphic indicators when a project is in danger of falling behind, but the email notifications help ensure we stay on target and no items are missed. When I have an issue, or can't figure out how to do something, customer service is incredibly helpful and very very fast at responding! Such a great program and an amazing company that supports it!

Pros

It is incredibly easy to use and takes about 2 minutes to train a new person on. Workzone is very intuitive and easy to navigate. Editing and customizing individual projects is incredibly easy. Reports are easy to create and customize and project info is searchable for those times that my memory fails me.

Cons

There is a slight delay when updating tasks or saving new comments. This could be internet speed based though, so i'm not sure if its a valid "con"

Alex R.

Workzone 5 Stars

Reviewed on 2019/10/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We use the Workzone to manage and develop marketing email campaigns. Other departments use the tool to manage interdepartmental tasks and requests.

Pros

Easy to set up and start using. We like to use project request forms to initiate work requests and templates for building emails, SMS and mobile push campaigns.

Cons

Project request form builder has some limitations.

Jennifer W.

Great Experience with WorkZone

Reviewed on 2019/09/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

WorkZone has been very helpful in supporting our internal marketing and review processes. We needed a central source for our projects and documents, and WorkZone provided the perfect solution.

Pros

We chose this software because of the dual functionality...the project management and document storage/sharing. It's very intuitive and easy to use, and was easy to set up initially. Customer support is very responsive with training and any issues we have had....as well as very open to suggestions when we find something we would "like" to be able to do.

Cons

None that I can think of. Maybe a few idiosyncrasies in managing date changes, but with regular usage it became easier to manage.

Christine C.

WorkZone is a lifesaver!

Reviewed on 2019/03/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The team at WorkZone has been very involved with our experience, always making sure we are up-to-date on the latest changes, asking for feedback and making sure we are getting the most out of the software.

Pros

WorkZone has been a game-changing software for our company. We had originally planned to use Microsoft Project but ran into issues with complex training for the team. We found WorkZone and it solved all our problems -- simple, ease-to-use, very intuitive. It has streamlined our workflow, allowed for commenting regarding schedules and status and given everyone up-to-date task lists. We couldn't live without it now. It is also a great value and works for both Mac and PC, which was an issue with Project.

Cons

Nothing— WorkZone has been the best decision we've made in recent years.

Kevin C.

How did we ever live without Work Zone?

Reviewed on 2019/03/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our company loves how each one of us can easily log on and instantly see job status, tracking all our activity, interacting and communicating regarding each different job. WZ saves us so much time by having everything in one place. We now can't imagine how we got by without WZ in previous years.

Pros

Work Zone enables our company to organize, track status and communicate between one and other for each and every job. Everything is right in one spot easily accessed. Job details and conversations are added, documented and stored for current active jobs and can be referred to after job completion.

WZ is a real time saver and valuable tool. Our VP of Marketing runs her weekly Marketing meeting based on our WZ job listings.

Cons

None really that I can think of at the moment.

Nausica O.

Workzone Works Well for Us.

Reviewed on 2019/08/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our team uses it daily to run our entire company's projects.

Pros

The ease of use made this platform the best solution for our company at the time we decided to purchase.

Cons

Currently there is nothing worth mentioning as Workzone makes updates often in the year.

Jennifer L.

Strong mid-level tool for growing companies

Reviewed on 2019/02/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We used WorkZone for six years before growing to the point of needing a more complex system. If circumstances were different, I would happily use WorkZone again.

Pros

Great customer support -- live and recorded webinars, access to personal help, good documentation -- and solid functionality. This is a great value project management tool for companies who want more than a spreadsheet but don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles. Solid reporting and visibility for project managers and leaders. Easy to use once you understand the system logic.

Cons

A relatively high learning curve compared to its competitors. Did not have a mobile app at the time. Lacks some of the customization options of more expensive options.

Barbara M.

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We used to track our deadlines with multiple spreadsheets. This allows one comprehensive place to organize our projects across all of our clients and all areas of the business - from project implementation through to invoicing.

Pros

We implemented Workzone years ago, and now our team relies on it daily. We can track all of our projects and deadlines for design, media, reports, etc. It offers the flexibility for us to use the software the way it works best for our company, and everyone is accountable to their tasks.

Cons

N/A - I do not have a "least" something I like about this software.

Brandy E.

Crucial for everyday use

Reviewed on 2019/10/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

WorkZone helps keep my head on my shoulders, I dont know what I would do without it. Its great for keeping organized, gives me a full list of all my to-do's for the week and can easily check something complete once. It's also a great place for communicating with team members, sharing documents, adding edits to the documents, and much more. It is an all-in-one type software.

Pros

organized, great for teams who all work on different tasks, easily notify other teammates, share documents and suggest edits/mockups on the documents, see you to-do list for the whole week (or whatever date range you want)

Cons

I dont like that anyone on the team can accidentally mark your task complete. It might be nice if only the people assigned to the task could mark a task complete.

Audrey T.

How did we live without WorkZone?

Reviewed on 2019/05/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I cannot stress enough how much more streamlined and efficient our workflow has become since we started using WorkZone. We were using a spreadsheet and paper requests and seemed to always be looking for job updates, proof, etc. The dashboard gives an instant update of the department and no more searching for lost papers!
The support we received from CSR and the rest of the WZ crew has been nothing short of AWESOME!

Cons

As a higher education institution, the cost can be a bit daunting, but it is definitely worth it. I wish there was an enterprise license that would allow different departments to partner on the cost across the entire campus.

Marcia C.

Easy to use, simple interface

Reviewed on 2019/09/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Excellent customer service. Can always get someone on the phone and they check in every once in awhile to talk about issues or wishlist items.

Pros

Not a big learning curve to start utilizing the software. Like that the company is easy to work with, responsive to customers, and that they are always trying to improve the product.

Cons

Could use some improvements on expenses and calendar, but hopefully those are coming.

Kathryn O.

Workzone is a great organizing tool

Reviewed on 2019/10/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This software goes beyond tracking the overall project and goes into the day to day tasks that are crucial to our team to keep everyone up to date to what needs to be done to complete the project.

Pros

This software helps keep tasks and projects organized and on time. We have a lot of projects that we work on for many different departments in our company. This software helps us keep them in line and on deadline.

Cons

I don't have a con for this product but I can't hit submit until I write here.

Nadia B.

We use Workzone to manage workflow in our university marketing and communications office.

Reviewed on 2017/08/24

It helps us manage a busy university marketing and communications office.

Pros

Our favorite thing about Workzone is the notes feature. We have a number of student designers with inconsistent schedules, so projects often have many hands touching them. The notes feature allows us to leave detailed information about each task, so that anyone can step in and pick up the ball to keep a project moving forward.

Cons

We would like it if we could see both the original/ideal schedule and the real schedule. The software does not change dates automatically to reflect when a task was actually completed and the subsequent change to dependent tasks.

Nathan H.

WorkZone has literally changed the way we work and coordinate in our agency.

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

We are much more organized and able to meet project deadlines. Everyone can go to a central place to see where we're at on every aspect of the work.

Pros

WZ has a ton of features and helps us keep track of everything going on. I can look at the workload for each person on my team to know the status of their projects and where new work should be assigned.

Cons

The learning curve is steep, but that's probably true with most PM software. Sounds weird, but there can sometimes be too much granularity so that particular information can get buried in a random spot. Would love a better in-app notification system.

Project Management Made Easy

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/12/28

Having moved from trying to track multiple projects with multiple teams using just spreadsheets, Workzone brought some much-needed organization and clarity to our processes.

Pros

Workzone is a simple, relatively easy to use project management platform that doesn't require a whole lot of studying before you can use it. It allows you to create customized project milestones and timelines and to add human resources that can be assigned at various levels.

Once set up, Workzone allows you to view multiple project statuses, see if tasks are on track or falling behind, and even receive progress reports via email at intervals.

One of the best features of Workzone is the ability to create project templates. This feature comes in handy for teams which handle multiple projects of the same type over and over again. Instead of having to create the task set from the beginning each time, the templates can be used to jump right into an already established flow saving both time and effort.

Cons

Getting Workzone setup was a very manual process but it was worth it in the end. It would have been nice to have a comprehensive set of project templates to get started with from various industries which could then be customized to save even more time.

6.0/10
Melani Z.

Excellent Project Management System

Reviewed on 2019/08/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Since I work for the Communication and Creative Services department for a college with 10 campuses, Workzone makes it possible to keep track of all our projects. Thanks to this software, we can have multiple users across the state work on projects easily with each other.

Pros

Keeping track of multiple projects is so much easier with Workzone. I love the way each workspace can be customized to fit the needs of our team to get the most information about projects as they come in.

Cons

Sometimes features will get moved around when updates occur but I eventually get used to it again.

Laurie S.

Organizing Efficiency

Reviewed on 2019/08/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Workzone was great for our department. When it was discovered its many features, others piggybacked on our template. Our department used the features we needed to the fullest.

Pros

We were able to set up templates to organize our processes. Being able to follow the process, step-by-step, is critical to the success of our course development. Faculty and supporting department tasks are all under one project for at-a-glance status review.

Cons

We added unique fields, and were not able to pull reports from these fields.

Once dependencies are broken between tasks, manually changing dates is a bit difficult.

Angie T.

Production Improvement

Reviewed on 2019/08/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our team is better aware of all tasks needed to get the job done.

Pros

It gives me a variety of options to set up our projects that are uniquely tailored to only to our company.
The WZ team is always very patient with us and help teach us better ways to use it. I like how they are continually improving.

Cons

Learning curve. As with all new technology it took us a while to get everything set up to just the way we want it. That was not a Work Zone issue as much as an office user issue.

Jeannette P.

Keeps all of us on schedule

Reviewed on 2019/08/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

First we loved it just for being able to track, maintain up to the min. Now downloading from WZ to do analysis on time spent by different criteria with ease.

Pros

Easy to setup, maintain, update and use. One place to keep notes, docs, time for all members to see.

Cons

Calendar export to outlook is limited if your projects can be longer than a month.

Keri L.

Greater collaboration for creatives with crazy schedules!

Reviewed on 2019/06/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

WorkZone has allowed us to access projects while on the road, track down communication timelines when projects fall into "proof limbo," and gain insight into our department's capacity.

Pros

It's strange to love software because of the customer service, but WorkZone's responsive, witty team made deploying this robust program with 30+ reluctant creatives successful.

I love being able to tell at a glance which projects are on track (or not), taking more (or less) time than anticipated, and who should have time to work on urgent requests.

Cons

At first I hated that there were multiple ways of doing nearly everything in the system.