Magento Commerce

Site content and customer journey management for eCommerce

Frederick U.

If you build it they will come really should be if you build on here you're stuck!

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

The platform is not plug and play the way Magento presents it to be. You are really only buying an outlined platform of how your site will approximately look. Most of the real work and heavy lifting still needs to be done in the programming. Not what expensive templates are supposed to deliver. Unless you can hire an in house experienced Magento developer stay away. You will either be taken advantage of and pay way too much for your site's development or be stuck with a foreign company impossible to communicate effectively. Almost all of the well know e-commerce platforms are easier to maneuver and have considerable affordable US based skilled help.

Pros

the ability to display and manipulate graphics is second to none.

Cons

We purchased megento 2.0 platform for our ecommerce site. We asked our friends at Magento to recommend some developers. My partners and I are fairly savy HTML programers and quick learners. We picked Magento because it came with a solid template and touted it's back end admin ease of usage. We figured we would hire a developer to make sure we had a correct skeloton and basic map of what we wanted in a site and then take over the work of actually writing and inserting the messaging and digital content. All the developers we were reffered to wanted starting retainers of $30,000 plus for what we knew would only be 10 to 20 hours of work for a developer familiar or specializing in Magento. We ended up finding our own magento developer who we thought understood our concepts and scope of work. Apparently they did but since most affordable Magento developers are based in India be prepared for all types of language issues and conference calls in the middle of the night. I'm sure we got what we paid for so shame on us but the alternative because of magento's lack of credible viable resources was to cancel the project.

• Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Best Enterprise Level eCommerce Platform

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Magento is incredible if you have the technical team and developers that know how to work with it and make it shine.

Pros

Magento has a lot of functionality out of the box to set up and ecommerce store. The UX for M2 is significantly better than it was on M1. You can really narrow down the scope of permissions that your provide to users.

Cons

There have been a lot of bugs that have come up that should have been worked out before release. There is a fairly high technical barrier to entry compared to other platforms.

Emeka O.
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used Other for 1+ year

A Robust Ecommerce Content Management System

Reviewed on 2019/12/30

My team used Magento to build our B2B ecommerce platform, and that helped us to get seed funding. It could have been more stressful to build the ecommerce website from scratch, but Magento eased off the stress appreciably.

Pros

Magento is a Content Management System (CMS) used for building ecommerce websites. I used Magento when I was part of a team that were building a B2B ecommerce website.

Among the things I love about Magento include:

1. Ability to have multiple user accounts for one store: When I was working on the Ecommerce platform, there was a need to onboard merchants on the platform. The products to be onboarded were quite much and could have been very tedious for one person to onboard all of them. Thanks to the ability to create multiple user accounts for one store while using Magento. This helped to limit the stress.

2. Availability of themes and plugins; Magento makes use of themes and plugins for customisation. This is a beautiful feature as the theme allowed my team to make necessary changes so as to make the website as we desired. The plugin allowed us to add functionalities to the website. Among the functionalities that can be added include invoicing, delivery, etc.

3. Open source and free to use: Magento is an open source software and it is free to use. There are many free themes and plugins one can start using to build ecommerce websites of choice, though some themes and plugins are premium and need to be purchased before they can be used.

Cons

There are a few cons I observed about Magento. They include:

1. Hard to learn: It was the first time my team used Magento, and spent sleepless nights trying to understand how it works, and how to customise it. This was very stressful, and was the reason for which my team dumped it.

2. Expensive themes: Magento is not as widely used as some other ecommerce CMSs. This caused there to be fewer theme developers and also making the premium themes to be quite expensive.

3. Small community: Owing to the small user base of Magento, the community is quite small. This made it somewhat hard to get solutions online.

Great For Larger Businesses

Reviewed on 2019/11/27

Mostly positive. Any obstacle can be overcome but still if I didn't need the bells and whistles I would go somewhere else.

Pros

Magento is open source. You can add anything you want there are an unlimited number of developers and extensions available and with Magento 2 the code is more regulated. It is very easy to scale.

Cons

Time intensive. For anyone who doesn't need frills Magento is a hassle. It requires constant care, constantly has performance issues and you always need to work on those. It's a highly used platform that is always open to attacks and so security updates need to be done regularly by your in-house or outsourced IT team. It's a lot of work.

Christos T.

The most sophisticated platform to build online stores

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Magento has helped us provide our clients with the best online stores possible. The websites are robust, fast, and safe.

Pros

With magento we are able to build the best performing online stores for our clients. Magento is very robust and can support online stores of huge volumes of traffic or products.

Cons

Magento is quite difficult to set-up. A lot of infrastructure is required even for the simplest online store which makes it suitable only for high-end clients.

Abid S.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

The best E-commerce Platform for Website

Reviewed on 2020/04/30

My overall experience with Magento is really awesome and good. Because I have developed a number of websites for my users using the Magento. My customers really like the themes and templates of Magento. I really like the payment gateways which I can add on my website using the Magento. No doubt, the process of adding the product on the websites is really easy and simple. I always use some external extensions for different e-commerce purposes. In short, I am really satisfied with Magento and I really love and like this unique e-commerce shopping platform.

Pros

Magento commerce allows you to build stunning and professional e-commerce websites. You can increase your online shopping experience. The dashboard is really simple and incredible, where you can easily add products with different content like a description of the product and images of the product. You can see order and customer details in such a simple way. Magento Marketplace is the platform where you can get professional extensions for your Magento commerce website. These modules can improve your online store business and can give a unique and professional look to your website.

Cons

No doubt, Magento is the best e-commerce platform which is very best for the beginners and also for the advanced users. Selling products online now very easy with Magento. I don't think so there is any negative point in Magento. Because all options are really incredible and fabulous for the e-commerce business users ans also for the customers.

• Industry: Online Media

Magento Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

Pros

its environment and easy to setup the basic features and the theme development is easy

Cons

WHen we want to install additional features its hard to write the code and embed it in the current platform unless we know the whole module

Paul A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

As a developer this software was amazing. As a user there is a lot to cover.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

It's a big awesome piece of software, but if you just want to run a simple e-commerce site, it's not for you.

Pros

Magento is rich in features and functionality. As a developer I loved working on this platform, mainly because the developers who wrote it took a lot of care and did things right. If you test it and think it's cumbersome, remember this: it's not built for running a single website; it's built for running a business. I ran 15 websites off one instance of Magento, using cross-site pricing, coupons, and integration to our ERP system.

Cons

It's big and it's heavy. There are ways to make it faster, because you need them. It has a high-ish learning curve for a developer, so do be aware of this.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Good for e-commerce websites

Reviewed on 2019/06/03

Pros

This was a good platform for our global e-commerce website. We did use a developer to build it out but was easy to dive into and help build out some pages to help the project stay on track with launch. You do have to have some background in websites and coding for some parts but most sections it is easy to plug in in the information. They allow you to handle your SEO easily and create up-selling, cross selling and promotions easily.

Cons

I didn't like that there are some glitches but I think that is common for any platform. The glitches do require you to have a developer who is familiar or certified to build websites in Magento.

Marian P.

Great speed for a big online store

Reviewed on 2018/07/06

Pros

We have choosed magento as being the best software in it's category, and it did not let us down. The team we hired for developing our store was a top agency in building stores and we finished one monthe later with a top of the line online store. The best thing when you choose Magento, it's that when you ask for something it can be done, that not being the case with other ecommerce platforms.

Cons

The cost is an issue for any startup or business, but it will be very quickly absorbed by the happy cusotmers that would return and the breeze of maintaining a big online store.

• Industry: Warehousing

Not for the beginner or for most users!

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

I wouldn't recommend unless you have a lot of money and the right team in place. Don't try to figure it out yourself.

Pros

This is such a robust software. you can run many websites and share the same cart. If you know what you are doing magento is super powerful. It's great if you are doing millions of sales per month on your website.

Cons

This is not for most people and even if you have a big company, there are other tools that are easier and just as good. Also for google ranking, it's much better to use a wordpress site. It's very difficult to use and the developers tend to be more expensive.

Mark W.

Overall A Great PHP Ecommerce App

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

Pros

I have in development, project manager over 4 years (enterprise level). The Magento core is designed such a way you virtually can do anything with it. What i liked most about magento is that most of the common ecommerce functionalities are built it, and it save you a lot of money and time.

Cons

I am happy that M2 has been out for last few years. I wish there was a easy option to switch code from M1 to M2. M2 is a platform change, and requires me to rebuilt. I am sure somebody will create a module soon.

Magento is #1 for any large business!

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

Pros

Amazing program for any large business needing a solid shopping cart system that is also highly controllable on the backend. Our team created an exception website using it, product addition and editing is easy once trained, and the SEO spike helped us tremendously.

Cons

It isn't easy to use for just anyone, you need some training but that isn't difficult to pick up in classes. The only criticism that I have since I do think it is the best out there

Carlos R.
  • Industry: Import & Export

Need a personalized website then magento is for you

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

As I mention in the beginning we have our website though magento and not only is it the best web design but also has all the features that you need to have a top of the line website for your business.

Pros

We have our website through magento. The features that are offer are so much more than your basic websites.

Cons

Could be much simpler to use but we have a professional team that we take care of any issues. I do seem to always have to flush the cache

Berin K.

E Commerce for all

Reviewed on 2019/06/09

Pros

I am using Magento for 2 years. It contains everything you need for running your own online shop without having enough experience. You need to be a developer if you need something more complex. However, I think Magento is the best eCommerce framework at the moment.

Cons

I didn't like Magento 1 before. When Magento 2 was released I thought that everything is perfect, but it is not. In my opinion they don't need knockout JS inside framework. It is so complicated and can be replaced with something like Vue Js or similar.

E-commerce projects top platform

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Most flexible eCommerce platform for serious sales online.

Pros

It's very flexible platform to implement various eCommerce projects - from marketplaces to multi-store projects, able to carry thousands of products.

Cons

Not easy to code, quite expensive codding hours. For extremely advanced projects you need to use advanced tools.

• Industry: Automotive

Heavy reliance on outside extensions, and lots of security holes

Reviewed on 2018/12/26

Pros

A lot of core functionalities are available all in one place, but extensions from outside vendors are needed to support a lot of other necessary features.

Cons

Each extension you add introduces new security and reliability concerns, on top of the security issues that are present in Magento.

Teodor S.

A good platform with open source

Reviewed on 2018/03/11

Pros

The engine is well prepared for dealing with the most common business needs and e-commerce. The functionality of the free version is quite extensive. The platform is open source, it is very useful when you need to fix a module yourself.

Cons

Often the modules conflict with each other, leading to malfunctions. For the correct operation of all engine systems, it takes a long time to set up. The cost of the product is high for start-up companies.

Swaranjeet S.

Ecommerce Online Business Made Easy

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

Overall Experience is awesome

Pros

Site Template available in various Category, Admin Portal to access product and orders , Paypal payment Integration, easy plugin installation

Cons

Check Password complexity , Check minimum Password length , Lock after x attempts

Alba C.

Good Help

Reviewed on 2018/11/01

Good to check status but need to improve the rest.

Pros

Is good as we can see the status of the orders and can leave notes for follow ups.

Cons

I really don't like that just pass like 10 minutes and it take you out of the program and then we have to keep log in every time this happens, should give more time for the users if you are not using it at that moment to give you at least 20 minutes.

Sebastian S.

Magento is great

Reviewed on 2017/09/15

Pros

Magento integrates seamlessly with our current inventory management system and all of our third party sellers.

Cons

I do not like having to process orders through fishbowl manually as the interface isn't all that friendly.

Jose asdrubal M.

Website creator

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

Pros

You can create shopping cart websites in a professional way. You can choose from a lot of templates or plugins.

Cons

Some plugins or templates are really expensive, also is not that easy to use.

Very trustworthy Magento 2

Reviewed on 2019/06/08

Making a store for your business is always please while working with Mangento. 2.x brings a lots of security and amaze things.

Pros

Customization can be done to any extent. Moreover there are extensions available for everything.

Cons

Changing the whole strucute from 1.x to 2.x was bit irritated but now since it is going smoothly, I am good with it.

Joshua H.

Free community edition is powerful

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

We can take products from our inventory unless them for sale very efficiently. It is easy to customize and present different payment options.

Pros

This is extremely customizable and lets you build just about anything you want on top of your store. The front end is very modern and user-friendly.

Cons

This e-commerce engine is notorious for being difficult to maintain. Even with the free version, you end up spending a lot of money on developers and maintenance to keep things running properly.

Hung N.

This software is FANTASTIC

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

Magento has one of the most extensive features lists you will ever find in terms of ecommerce software.
Though it's not easy to use at all. Magento is a great platform for a shop that you know will do well. If you're an ultra-small business making your first move into e-commerce, there may well be less heavyweight solutions that can do the job. But if you are getting big, you would love to have it . Magento is used by massive retailers like Samsung and Nespresso, as well as countless small e-commerce operators, so it's a serious contender for any business looking to make the move into online retail. This Varien's open-source software is is very powerful and yet intuitive when it comes to presenting your products. You can easily create your products catalog and manage it. You can add more than one images for the same product, review the product and allow creating of wish lists. It allows catalog and product browsing, product filtering and product comparison. You can easily add new products, do batch product update, manage your inventory, easily manage orders and shipments, and integrate different payment methods.
To sum up, my experience with Magento has been extremely good. It took time to get used to but definitely worth the effort. I , of course, don't even have a single regret spending my time trying it out.