Gusto

4,6 (3 851)
Gusto is the all-in-one HR platform for growing businesses.

(3 851)

Carly
Carly

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.
Alicia
Alicia
  • Industry: Legal Services

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Reviewed on 2020/06/12

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is easier to use than RUN and is cheaper. It also has much better support. ADP plays sales games sometimes.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.
Sara

For small US-only companies NOT expecting any growth

Reviewed on 2024/02/02

Pros

The clean interface is nice and mostly straighforward.

Cons

The customer service, which is necessary for any HRIS to have, is absolutely horrid. They randomly turn off their chat service feature which was never a successful use of time anyways, and they never connect you to someone who can answer your question over the phone. You get put on hold to reach someone at Gusto and get put on hold AGAIN to be connected to the right team. Using their support means you will BLEED time as their support team is full of "I don't knows" and "let me transfer you"s.

BambooHR
Casandra
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Hands down the best payroll app I have ever experienced

Reviewed on 2023/12/11

Pros

The ease of use, the ease of login on my computer and from my phone. The app is user friendly and I can find everything I need to click in and out right from my phone. I have had several situations where my income needed to be reported and they kept an easily accessible record right in the app for me to print of all my paystubs and tax documents. I don’t think I’ve seen a payroll app offer so much and be as easy to use as Gusto.

Cons

Nothing. Gusto really is the best payroll app I have worked with

Linda
Linda
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Gusto is a great cost-effective HR tool

Reviewed on 2023/08/03

Staff is friendly and helpful, and they respond quickly to emails (in less than an hour, on average). The website is well-organized and simple to use. We switched from Intuit Payroll because it made paying state taxes to the appropriate agencies a snap.

Pros

Overall, it's a nice piece of ux design. The reality is that the criterion for usability for most goods in this space is simply that they work. With enough enthusiasm, most tasks become not only feasible but also simple. It's as simple as a few natural mouse clicks.

Cons

When I try to build a report that fits my exact specifications, I'm often forced to generate more data than necessary just to get to the data I want. It would be more convenient if you provided a part where I could pick and choose the data points that would go into my report.

Alan
Alan
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Payroll and Benefits Management with Gusto

Reviewed on 2023/07/24

Payroll, benefits, HR 401(k), and performance reviews may all be handled in a single convenient location. Gusto has helped me and my staff to be more productive with our time and to feel appreciated.

Pros

Friendly interface. Staff-friendly time and absence tracking and benefit administration tools. Human resources and 401(k)s work better together than ever. The price is reasonable for us.

Cons

Payroll blocks caused by a lack of State tax information can be inconvenient, as it requires contacting Gusto to request an extension until the necessary tax data is provided. Perhaps there's an easier method to simply hit a button and have the block lengthened.

Heather

Payroll Made Easy

Reviewed on 2023/05/15

Overall, Gusto has made processing payroll so simple. The platform is easy to use and navigate. The PTO tracking tool helps myself and staff be able to see how many hours they have used and how many they have left.

Pros

Gusto allows me to run payroll aligned with ProCare. I love that I can enter information as the pay period goes and Gusto saves the changes. Time sheets are integrated from ProCare so I don't have to calculate hours worked.

Cons

I have yet to find a feature that I do not like. Everything runs smoothly and employees are paid on time with direct deposit.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto streamlines with ProCare, which is the software we use for clocking in and out.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Ease of use and integration with ProCare.
Laura

Transfer was a little shaky, but good system once up and running.

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

Payroll and onboarding are being taken care of by Gusto. Their HR looks good, but is a bit more expensive than we like right now.

Pros

I like being able to onboard our new hires. It makes it so much easier and I don't have to worry about compliance or having the most recent form of the paperwork. They pay the taxes and create W2s and make my life easier. Thank you!

Cons

The transfer was rough and had some glitches. Once all of that was worked out, it has been fairly smooth and easy.

Tiffany
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Gusto to the Rescue

Reviewed on 2023/08/04

Again, keeping everything in the same application was paramount to us. Gusto is able to streamline the HR process and the customer service is good too.

Pros

I like the ability to keep everything within Gusto. All of the tax info, employee info, direct deposit and documents are all within Gusto. I have used separate apps in the past and Gusto makes it easy.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I dislike about Gusto. Currently we have not had any issues.

Heather

Run, Don't Walk - Get Guusto Today!!

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

10 out of 10. Would recommend to everyone.

10 out of 10. Would recommend to everyone.

Pros

I love how easy Guusto is to use. It is easy to navigate, easy to send and receive awards, and their customer service is second to none.

Cons

The only thing I don't like currently is that I'm still new to the system so, we haven't finished our integration yet. Once that is done, I'm certain I'll have no complaints.

Bonusly and Nectar

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Better at selling their product, better pricing, ease of use.
Delene
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

Reviewed on 2020/05/22

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

ian

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.
Brenton
  • Industry: Accounting

The best payroll service period! I'm always recommending to others!

Reviewed on 2021/09/16

From my very first client to the many I've added since, Gusto has been easy to get in touch with.

Pros

Setting up the company is a breeze. It walks you through every step to help make sure you have all the information correct. It'll even show you how to get state and local tax numbers, if needed.
Setting up employees is even easier! All you need is the employees name, pay rate, and email! How crazy is that. After you enter that information, and email gets sent to the new employee to fill out all their paperwork online. Remember though to get their i-9 forms, because once they are done filling out their paperwork, you'll need to verify their i-9 docs, but it's way too easy!! Haha.
Let's run payroll. Well, if it's the same each time, you can have it set up to go auto. Set it and forget it! If not, again, they make it easy. Click run payoll. Enter the times for your employees, days off, yada yada, and then submit. If you need to make a change to an employee while running payroll, just click on their name and it pulls them up for editing.
Gusto submits all tax payments and reports too. Even submits child support!

Cons

One time deductions. I would love to see that feature. As for now, you have to create a deduction on the employee screen, then go back to the process payroll screen. I wish it could be added to the other more detailed pay options.

Payroll Mate

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use compared to cost.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is on the cloud. Employee on boarding. Federal, State and Local payments and filings.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great for payroll

Reviewed on 2022/03/08

It's great for payroll. We don't pay for the leave management or other items because it is too expensive, but the payroll features are great.

Pros

Gusto is great for it's payroll and benefits platform. They do exactly as they say they are going to do and take care of all tax liabilities on time, with no concern of being wrong or late.

Cons

Their customer service is terrible. You typically get a representative that tells you the same thing that is in their knowledge base and then can't escalate you to talk to someone actually knowledgeable but can request a call back. The call backs don't happen and you receive an email, which typically doesn't answer your question because the initial representative didn't pass along the information correctly.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Uzio failed to make tax payments on time, didn't setup our tax liabilities correctly with proof of correct paperwork, and have been an overall nightmare to work with.

UZIO

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Reputation and ease of integration with other platforms.
Rick

Payroll with a personal touch

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department.

I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too.

The gusto customer service team is top notch.

Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

FreshBooks and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too
Thomas

Better than nothing

Reviewed on 2021/01/19

I am disappointed. I though I was getting a first tier payroll software with faster turnaround for less money. I got a lees than complete feature set with hit or miss service.

Pros

It is easy to use and set up. It is much more straightforward than many of its competitors. Onboarding was mostly drama free.

Cons

The system is not as robust and feature rich as its key top tier competitors like QB or ADP. Once we started using it we found features missing that we took for granted would be there. One of the key things that made us choose Gusto was the ability to give our staff direct deposit payments next day. In practice the design of the system makes that impossible for us.

We discovered a glitch in the system that prevented us from properly reporting overtime in our state. Gusto was unable to find what was wrong or give us a workaround, We found one ourselves minutes from our payroll deadline.

Customer support is erratic, with some folks providing helpful and timely support while others are not significantly better than us guessing . We kept getting routed to our designated representative when all we needed was a simple question to be answered. The time it took to locate and hook up with our rep was longer then it took to get an answer.

Pro tip to customer support: If you don't know the answer, dont send me a link to some general background topic. It does not help.

ADP Comprehensive Services

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

hoping for something better and easier to set up and maintain
Barbara

Switching back to Square Payroll by year-end

Reviewed on 2022/10/09

Not at all pleased. I was hoping to love this but did not

Not at all pleased. I was hoping to love this but did not

Pros

The accountant login feature is what drew me in so I could move multiple clients over under one user login and switch back and forth between payroll clients.

Cons

Difficult to use. Not user friendly. Time-consuming and complicated. Report section needs major overhaul. Their Indiana WH1 payroll report needs to be DETAILED but it is a generic "summary" that does NOT include employee name, wages, etc. which is information that was needed to file COVID reports and ERC amendments. I wanted to love this software but ended up hating it. One client ended up with double processing that caused an overdraw and it took forever to fix it. I had to give them money out of business account to cover this mistake. Gusto was not quick to help out and never made it right with my company nor my client. I am glad I did not move all of my clients to this software and have moved all but one, who will be switching back to Square payroll by year-end.

Lance

Gusto has won me over for life.

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Time sheets, paycheck stubs, tax documents for my employees are all available to them without any extra work needed by me. Gusto takes care of it al.

Pros

I love how easy it is for my employees to see their paycheck stubs, get their tax documents, and even do a early cash out option if they need a little extra money before payday. They have recently introduced time tracking, which solved another issue I had with keeping track of everyone's hours in another product.

Cons

I don't have many cons regarding Gusto. So far it has met all my needs flawlessly. The one con I would say is that the insurance process could be a little less confusing.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto has more features regarding paycheck stubs and they are adding new features all the time. Most other products seem to be stagnant.
Coby
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Great payroll service for the little guy

Reviewed on 2020/10/22

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Cons

Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Run was not user friendly and much too expensive. I felt like an unimportant customer to a large company.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I had used QB in the past and it was ok, but Gusto seems to have more features for a better price and they seem to care more about my business than Intuit does. Intuit is very difficult to work with.
Sheldon

A loyal customer that will be moving away from Gusto... HONEST REVIEW

Reviewed on 2023/06/28

Sadly, we will be leaving Gusto. We absolutely love the services (overall) and due to their great platform (and price), we have remained patient with some of the shortcomings. That said, I am so disappointed that we don't have better support. After a major payroll issue in May 2023, I remained calm and even inquired about upgrading our plan so that we could get better quality support and avoid future issues. No luck - I spoke to people in sales, but never heard back. Their software does not fully support multiple locations (must use DEPARTMENTS), which presents problems across the company. The worst issue we faced was based on an honest error our company made: One of our new hires mistakenly ran payroll for a new location prior to the account being funded. This caused an insufficient funds matter, which was totally our fault. However, the system locks you out without the chance to run payroll until the payment is cleared - we couldn't even run paper checks. This means our valued staff were paid late. There was no way to expedite this (bank wire, etc.) so I ended up driving several hours to delivery paper checks to our teams. Customer support wouldn't even allow me to speak to a manager about the situation so I could provide feedback for future customers. If you are a small office with 1- 30 employees, I think Gusto could be a great option. However, if you need more granular permissions for leadership, quick/dedicated support, look elsewhere.

Pros

Gusto is likely the easiest platform to learn and use. Our team members with limited tech skills can navigate the system with ease. I constantly see updates and enhancements throughout the system that are beneficial and useful. Also, the price is hard to beat for all the features. We use Gusto for health benefits, 401k, PTO, and time tracking - all work relatively fine. The only catch is assessing if your company is too large for Gusto's abilities.

Cons

As our company began to grow, we started to notice limitations in the platform. Once we grew to having multiple locations, things fell apart fast. Between the two companies I own, we hardly ever need the support team. However, when we do, it has become increasingly difficult to get the help we need. It is hit or miss. In a nutshell, if you have more than 30 employees in multiple states/locations, look at other options. We are taking both of our companies to another provider. Multiple times, Gusto could have saved this relationship, but I don't think I was ever able to reach someone who cared enough.

Rippling, RUN Powered by ADP and Paycor
Knox

Literally a worry-free payroll solution

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

Gusto saves our company lots of time! I spend literally an hour on HR/payroll each week, because Gusto does so much of the heavy lifting. For the price, I totally believe I am getting great ROI. It also integrates well with our accounting software.

Pros

Gusto makes managing employee relations, payroll, and benefits so simple. You truly get a lot of bang for your buck. We're able to manage payroll processing; time/attendance; benefits; onboarding; and salary offers all in place. Their web-based technology has great up-time and is very easy to use. I also like the fact that Gusto does all of your federal and state payroll document filings and return (quarterly and annual). Every form needed to remain in compliance with the feds and state are filed by Gusto on your behalf. That takes the headache away and allows my company to focus on matters that are more critical at this time.

Cons

There is not much I can say here other than their support isn't necessarily a phone call away. That said, they answer emails and tickets super quick. I haven't been much in a pinch to need an immediate response to issues, and their self-service support center is rather extensive.

Paycom

Pricing; bang for buck.
Eugene

Customer Support Non-Existent if you have a Tax issue

Reviewed on 2022/04/04

You have to monitor everything that is processed from them. My mistake. Do not rely on their quality. You have to keep tabs on everything.

Pros

Online, payrol. my accountant had access

Cons

Have a tax issue where Gusto failed to file 940 and was a year late on a 941. I didnt check this (foolish me, though I was paying a service for this). I have a tax liability now. The main issue is that if you call customer service, there is NO ONE beyond the front line service. NO ONE from the tax department will call you, speak with you, or give you an update. You will get a canned email "we are working on your issue". Its clear at this point, that they have canned my issue and are hoping I resolve on my own. I was told twice by the front line girl, that I should call IRS and ask for extension. My attorney said NO...gusto trying to get off the hook and state that you took over this issue from them.
Ready to break down at this point. Small business that cannot afford to spend (35:26 on hold right now) every day calling them with them stating "Someone from Tax will call you back before the end of the day"
Hot Take...the phone number of the tax preparer is on every 941...starting to call them bitching about this.

I dont know whether I owe the tax, it was a reporting issue, payroll processing issue, no idea. CANT GET ANYONE TO GIVE ME ANTHING. FRUSTRATED...VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATED.

I would not recommend this service.

Pamela

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense.

Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company.

Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero.

I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

Jonathan

When you need them, they will disappoint

Reviewed on 2023/01/11

Pros

Onboarding is convenient, integrated forms are nice

Cons

The support has gone sharply downhill over the last year. They are hard to get ahold of, and minimally helpful when you do. Their idea of what part of your information you can have access to is really screwed up. When I requested background data, they told me they couldn’t, and then referred to a completely irrelevant part of the user agreement. I finally had to accelerate the issue all the way to the legal counsel who was abrasive rude, and essentially told me unless I produce a court order forcing them they’re not going to tell me my own payroll information.

Michael

Very happy with Gusto. Makes payroll simple and understandable for small biz.

Reviewed on 2022/02/24

My overall experience has been great and i would highly recommend Gusto. Additional features will only make it better.

Pros

Payroll runs seamlessly. Very happy with pyroll, reporting.

Cons

I would say these are not cons, but things i would like to see. I would like to see the onboarding process integrate with a background check company and a drug screening company. That would be really nice. I would also like to be able to genreate a handbook or a summary of benefits. Often times when hiring, i want a snapshot of what is happenign in gusto (vacation policy, holiday policy, benefits options). this would help me when hring.

it cam up heads.