diagrams.net

4,6 (553)
Open platform for creating & sharing diagrams

Daniel T.

An easy alternative for Visio outside Windows OS

Reviewed on 2020/01/20

I began to use this software on my Mac when I needed to edit or create a diagram. It was my alternative because the MS Visio doesn't have version for macOS. But, due to the compatibility problems with some files with special metadata, I finally changed to use MS Visio in a virtual machine.

Pros

It is full web software to create diagrams of flows. Has a lot of templates and objects libraries similar to the MS Visio than help to create the draw.
It is compatible with the Visio files.
Also, you can use your OneDrive or Google Drive storage to work inside this.

Cons

Despite you can open Visio files not always the metadata of these are open well. This generates compatibility problems between both applications.
Also, I found problems using some Visio templates from my colleagues in the software.

Reasons for Choosing diagrams.net

The necessity to re-use some Visio templates and to can share these with the team, forced me to change this software for a virtual machine in macOS with MS Visio. Currently, I use the Visio Online when I need to open a file from macOS.

• Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

A simple tool to get started with making diagrams.

Reviewed on 2021/12/19

It helper me and my team get started with making diagrams easier than making it by ourselves.

Pros

I liked how it is so easy to get started and it has both desktop app and the browser version.

Cons

I didnt like how many times i could not make the diagrams look the way i wanted to look even if it was possible on other tools.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Satisfies all your diagrammatic needs

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

Overall, I believe it more than meets the expectations if you are using it to make diagrams for reports and such but if you need to make professional UML diagrams and if you are looking to collaborate in real-time I would not recommend this.

Pros

Diagrams.net allows you to draw any type of diagram you would want and you could easily save it in your Google Drive. To help out, it also provides a range of starter templates for different types of diagrams although I prefer starting from a blank slate. Any shape or figure you need could be easily searched for and you could even import images. To export, they give a variety of options including png and XML and unlike Visual Paradigm, diagrams.net does not leave a watermark behind. The best thing about diagrams.net is that it is very easy to use and not limited to UML diagrams and such.

Cons

The collaboration could use more features as it is extremely hard for people to work on the same diagram at the same time due to the delays, so I wouldn't recommend using it for collaboration. Other than that, the diagrams don't carry the professional look and feel that applications like Visual Paradigm provide. It doesn't stick to the UML rules so if you did something wrong you'd never know but that comes at the cost of support for multiple types of diagrams.

Robert S.

Draw.io

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

I'm useing this tool avery time I need to describe a process, a flow chart or a network diagram, it's semplifing my working life, moreover the desktop app is available for windows, mac and linux, so I can use what I want.

Pros

draw.io allow the user to prepare diagrams very easly, a huge amount of shapes alresdy prepared simplify a lot the activity.
You can prepare a diagram about process by BPML, you can prepare a mouk-up, you can desing a UML diagram for your SW implementation, network diagram with the google/aws/office symbols and also a simple flow chart. So, is very flexible, moreover you can use the web site to build your diagram or the desktop app, export it as an image and include it in your documentation

Cons

As an improvement I'd like to have the symbol librarry already colored instead of black and white, of course you can put the color that you want , anyway if if is already in the prebuilt library will be perfect

Vitto sebastian T.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Useful diagram maker

Reviewed on 2021/09/02

It was a very nice one, all my diagrams are made in it. there is no way i could lose any data and it's easy to export in a lot of formats

Pros

It's easy to work in group, i only have to share a link and all my works can be made and saved in my personal drive. There is no limit in the quantity of diagrams i can have active like other programs.

Cons

The arrows, i have a really hard time trying to split arrows

Gamidu W.

Creating flowcharts become easier with draw.io

Reviewed on 2021/04/15

Convenient and effective way to draw flow diagrams with draw.io

Pros

Main positive point is it has both Windows application and also the web application which makes things sync.

Cons

It's a bit slow in the web application compared to the Windows application and it makes the user experience a bit laggy.

Anilu M.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Useful, simple and easy-to-use tool

Reviewed on 2021/12/07

It is the main tool for diagrams that I use together with my team, I mainly use the extension for drive

Pros

Use this tool to make diagrams and basic flows, it has a great variety of templates depending on its use, a great tool for day to day

Cons

I have no complaints so far, I use it for flows and diagrams without so much detail

Jessica J.
  • Industry: Warehousing

Great Process Flow Program

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

Pros

We do a lot of 5S and Kaizen projects for our processes. Being able to use this program has made it so much easier to create process flows for our warehouse associates to be able to follow guides better. These are used widely throughout the company.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a little while to create a base flow to use, but the templates help make that easier.

Olga B.

Indispensable for Studies!

Reviewed on 2020/08/29

That's just Splendid. Spectacular. Studious. Superb.
Really remarkable. I cannot imagine how I would have done without this thing.
User-friendly, responsive, adaptive, trustworthy, reliable, relieving! Easy-to-use and flexible. Comfy and effortless. Efficient and Effective. The best tool I have ever used for my studying, working and research activities! Powerful and simple.

Pros

Well, this service reminds me about the most memorable, pleasant and amazing time in my life. I was doing my first Master's at the Higher School of Economics (Moscow) and my daily studying routine included using different apps for creating presentations, slides, docs. I had not known any good app for creating block schematical diagrams and one of my group mates (she actually had a Bachelor's degree in Programming) advised me to use this app. The app turned out to be an inspiring and useful thing for brainstorming, analyzing and summarizing lots of data. It let me do my homework and research tasks fast and easy, without painstaking efforts and excessive pressure. In this service you can easily make any kind of precise diagrams, beautiful schemes, pie charts, block chains and many more. You can save your drafts, download in a suitable format and work on them later. Learning and studying process has never been so easy, comfortable, ergonomic and time-saving. The tasks which were shamefully time-consuming and complicated in the past have become now as easy as apple pie. Even if you just need to analyze, describe, summarize or explain lots of data to your colleague, grandma or friend, this service can become the best solution for you.

Cons

Well, if you did not save and download all of your drafts in several formats before turning your device off, you would experience unpleasant problems with recovering your drafts then.

Thomas H.

The to-go tool for small vector graphics

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Once for a project we had to create an UML sequence diagram. We used draw.io for this . It worked great, it looked fantastic. Until we noticed that we forgot some calls so we had to add more boxes and more arrows. We thought that surely we could just drag what we have around a bit without breaking everything but no. Luckily it wasn't very big yet so we started from scratch and did not connect the arrows to the boxes until we were sure everything was stable. There might be a way to stop the arrows from freaking out but we could not find it.

Pros

I love draw.io . Need a graphic for a presentation or some sort of LaTeX report? Use draw.io, it certainly beats fiddling around with LaTeX to get what you want.
It allows you to export in .svg format (vector graphics) which you can scale to any size without loss of quality. Ever tried to increase the size of a .jpg or the like and noticed how horrible it looks? That doesn't happen with vector graphics.
It supports so many useful "graph types" out of the box, it's great. If you want to draw a specific kind of diagram/graph it most likely supports that and gives you all the boxes, edges, etc. that you need to make your graph.
Aligning your elements is super easy thanks to a wonderful grid system that lets you (among other things) place components perfectly aligned side-by-side or under each other.
You can customize virtually anything, size, color, font, font size, anything. Complete control over what you are trying to make.
If you need to make a graph or diagram of some kind and there is no tool to make the specific thing you need, just use draw.io. Or, if there is, still use draw.io because it will probably look nicer and give you a lot more option than whatever tool you want to use.

Cons

The one thing I dislike, I'd say even HATE about draw.io are the arrows. Simple use case: You want to connect two boxes with an arrow. That's simple - except later you notice you don't like the position of the boxes and move them. Now your arrows will most likely try to bend in ways to keep the connection but by doing so they will get horribly bent and look atrocious. This is especially bad if you move multiple boxres.

Sébastien L.

The most intuitive and well-thought-out flowchart and diagram maker!

Reviewed on 2019/02/17

It has been extremely useful in my work to display the workflow of a mobile application to people who are not very acquainted with technology. It was indeed very easy and quick to create personalized diagrams of any size, especially because there are many templates to choose from. All those templates are crafted professionally and give you a great starting point for any kind of project.

It is also superbly adapted to suit businesses, as it can import from many services including Dropbox, OneDrive, GitHub, Google Drive and Trello. This makes it simple to share a file with anyone in the office, especially considering the many export options available. Because it is a reliable and fast software, I ended up designing quick projects for my company and it has worked flawlessly since the first time I opened it to try it out.

Pros

It is very easy to style any diagram to your needs, but the default templates look great out of the box too! I don't play much with styles, but I use the other integrated tools quite a lot, including those for aligning, resizing and distributing elements. There are in fact many different elements to choose from and it's easy to find what you are looking for because everything is nicely categorized. I particularly enjoy how easy it is to position and connect the pieces together in the grid: you can quickly duplicate boxes, draw arrows between them or insert text that are perfectly aligned with everything else. Because of the underlying technologies it uses behind the scenes, the software is available on the web (online or offline with an extension) and it also offers desktop applications, which work equally well. When working with larger diagrams, the outline view comes in very handy. The software allows to export to many useful formats such as PNG, JPEG, SVG, PDF, HTML and others and provides options to get the code to embed the diagram as an image (including SVG) or even inside Google Docs and Google Slides. It is so intuitive that I never had the need to follow along the nonetheless excellent tutorials available on their website.

Cons

There isn't much to be said against such a well designed piece of software. I will point out, however, that even though I'm usually a huge fan of using the dark theme in as many applications as possible, I found it very distracting with draw.io. The contrasts weren't accentuated enough to my taste and I found it hard to see clearly the outline of the boxes in the diagram when working with a grid. The other themes (Kennedy, Minimal and Atlas) are fantastic, but I like using the default theme most.

Adiraju B.
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A great alternative to a very pricey Visio

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Pros

Portable - Do you want to use it in browser? You can do it. Do you want to do it offline, well, you can do it. The compatibility difference between the browser version and the stand alone version is very minimal and the lag is almost not noticeable on an enterprise level network.
It has all the required tools to create a design that is industry level. Although it doesn't have all the cross platform compatibility of Visio, it does what it does in a very minimal footprint without the hefty price tag that visio carries. It is small, fast and effective. And almost no learning curve, if you have used visio at least once in your life to create a presentation.

Cons

Not many cons for a day to day design of a minimally interactive presentation. Less powerful than the alternatives in terms of plugins or cross platform compatibility. Visual bugs on the browser version on certain slow or restricted(VPN?) networks.

Pedro K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Finally creator of quality online diagram!

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

In my opinion this system is formidable, it does not require the user to download any program or plugins. Another thing that makes it exceptional and more than one user able to edit the same diagram at the same time, with real-time update, this leaves much of its competitors outdated.

Draw.io is a free program that offers a range of tools, which not all of its paid contributors have, besides the ease and intuitiveness it provides.

Pros

Creator of high quality online diagram, which dispenses with any kind of program installation or plugins.
Great integration with other file management platforms (google drive / dropbox / one drive / github)
Extensive image database to assemble and model network diagrams, uses case, database, wireframe and better has content to assemble basic pages for websites.

Cons

Awesome system, but it can still do some things.
His system of groups sometimes leaves something to be desired.

And the text formatting system has some issues to use too.

Reasons for Choosing diagrams.net

Because visio requires the installation of the application for use, and I use the direfentes, which made my work a little difficult.

Quick and easy

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Pros

Draw.io is quick and easy. I do not need to remember any credentials. It just stores the files in my cloud storage and I can pull it out any time. I love using this.

Cons

I am not sure how secure it is when it accesses one's cloud storage accounts, otherwise, there is nothing negative about using Draw.io

• Industry: Warehousing

Draw.IO is the easiest-to-use visual flowchart tool that I could find

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Draw.io is my go-to for diagramming business processes in my role as a Business Analyst. It's very useful to present a diagram rather than explain the concepts that I can easily convert to a visual in draw.io.

Pros

-I use Draw.IO weekly/monthly depending on as projects demand
-Diagrams are easy to make, and the visuals are very appealing to my target audience
-Various methods for saving and displaying or sharing the content
-The free functionality will suit the vast majority of users and teams
-Google Drive integration

Cons

-A desktop application might be nice for certain users or teams
-The built-in diagrams are nice and often used, but there is a fairly limited selection for templates
-A few of the print options default to printing with gridlines with no option to remove them

Visio and Lucidchart

Visio and Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to diagrams.net

Easier to use, far more modern looking chart print outs.
  • Industry: Animation

diagrams.net is the best diagram and flowchart creating tool

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

we use to create the blueprint for the app and its working systems and send it to the developers. The process of work and tools are fantastic in diagram.net; it is suitable for both beginners and professionals, I would definitely recommend it if you are starting in diagraming and blue print design. we can share our designs to dropbox, google docs and google drive, so it is better when we create a design and share it with our development team.

Pros

The advantages of using diagrams.net - simple to use and easy to learn. we can create a Blueprint for any project. It Comes with lots of tools like basic and advanced shapes and lots of elements; we can also add Tiles tables and customize them properly. It provides various options to export our work like drive devices and others.it is good software for diagramming purposes. it is easy like drag and drop functionality. it is web based so no need to install this on your device and you can use it as portable.

Cons

When I started using diagrams.net, I was in university. Hence, at that time, I use to create blueprints for apps and systems; I found difficulty in 2 things, mainly first the exporting issue we have to be careful with the size and selection of export so that we can get better output or image. The second zoom in and zoom out is more complex in draw io; it could be better. But it gets the job done, so not a big issue while using it.

Matthew R.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A great free visio alternative

Reviewed on 2019/10/01

Overall I am impressed with draw.io and though it's not my go to diagram creator, I have it ready to go as a great alternative. If we didn't have Visio already supplied, this would be the program I would use primarily.

Pros

Draw.io is a surprisingly good diagram creator, that's free. It works very much like Visio and helps create great looking diagrams. The web element makes it very easy to share and view files with colleagues. The fact that you can open visio diagrams and edit, is also very helpful.

Cons

Though there is an offline version it tends to rely on a web connection which can sometimes be a problem. It has a lot of features but it lacks a little when compared to Visio. It can take a little while to learn your way around the software. You can't complain however due to it being free.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

The best tool to create diagrams

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

While I was attending some online courses, I learned about this tool.

I am amazed that it is free because I had to pay for other apps that weren't so versatile and easy to use.

I am working to promote this tool for my current job because it's easy to use, flexible, and platform-independent.

And the incredible thing is that is free!

Pros

The app is web-based, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues with your computer.

You can save your files on your computer or allows you to keep it on multiple cloud platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, Onedrive, which is very cool!

I recently discovered the app for Windows 10, which gives me more freedom to work offline while I am traveling.

The tool allows you to create your templates so you can create different types of drawings.

It's free!

Cons

I can honestly find any fault with this tool. Perhaps since I only draw basic stuff like UML or flow charts, the app provides anything I need to do my work effortlessly.

Even the problem that I could work online was solved several months ago with the Windows 10 app.

It would be great to have the app available for my MacBook.

Ryan E.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A must-have tool for making all kinds of diagrams

Reviewed on 2021/06/08

If you're looking for a simple, straightforward tool for drawing flowcharts and other basic kinds of diagrams, then you have found the perfect option. Give it a try!

Pros

This is by far one of the easiest programs that I have ever found for drawing all sorts of diagrams. It's deceptively simple, too--the drag-and-drop interface, which includes all kinds of helpful features such as adjustable gridlines, snapping to guides and handles, and a relatively wide range of built-in image/icon/symbol "libraries" (e.g., flowchart symbols, electronic schematic symbols, architectural symbols), is easy enough that anyone can use it. But start clicking around, and you discover that you can tinker under the hood and directly manipulate the XML code that the software is generating, which means that you can do some impressive stuff with this otherwise very basic software. And it's free, too!

Cons

While I don't intend this as a criticism, I can imagine that some people would complain that the basic features and functionality of the software is too basic or "plain," and that stylistic controls are limited. (This is, in fact, one of the things I like most... no distracting formats and bells and whistles to keep me from getting my work done!) The pop-up window at startup that invites you to start from a supposed "template" is useless and should be ignored. And it can be tricky to add symbol libraries if what you need isn't included by default.

Jonathan P.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

No more headaches to make perfect diagrams.

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

With draw.io I can easily develop diagrams in a short time, my experience with this software has been quite good, it has been integrated with other technologies such as Google Drive, it is excellent for collaborative projects, it has a great performance and it helps me. Do not spend so much time developing the design of the diagrams, and thinking more about the information and the workflow that will follow.

Pros

This is one of my favorites for many reasons, a very nice interface, intuitive and clean, it allows me to create all kinds of diagrams from 0, real time recording, with a great personalization, besides that it is only drag and drop so I can modify everything I want freely, besides all this also allows me to export and import files directly from popular cloud platforms such as dropbox, google drive, trello, etc. It supports a variety of formats, it also has a very wide variety of predefined shapes.

Cons

It is a very useful tool, however, it is for a basic or intermediate use, when very elaborate diagrams are needed, it is a bit short in the amount of tools and customization, however it is still a great tool.

Anna M.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

recommending this tool over and over again

Reviewed on 2021/03/29

I'm working as business/product analyst and use it for drawing different diagrams and models like bpmn, data flow diagrams, uml diagrams.
I can say draw.io is really powerful, understanding of this tool and knowing all the options come with time and experience, and with the time love for the tool grows .
By simplicity not all can see it powers, and I, honestly , was pretty sceptical in the beginning, but now I cannot imagine doing my work without this tool.

Pros

I really love this product. It is free, it is easy to use, it has all possible drawing elements for all types of diagrams, it allows to export to device or online storage (google drive), also it allows to share the diagram and collaborate with other people
Also I love that it can be integrated with confluence, thank you for this
I also like how elements can be easily modified, and I do not need to change the diagram - remove/add a new element, I can change it in the element code description easily.

Cons

sometimes when I have bpmn elements and move objects, not all arrows are moved together, though as I understand it is more as a feature that I haven't figured out

Fast, Convenient Tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Draw.io is a comfortable tool to pick up and put down, and it gets the job done. Often, during my workflow, I open a new tab in Chrome, type 'dr' and the url pops up, and a moment or two later I'm constructing a quick diagram-- layout of casters on a lumber cart, for example, for a maintenance spreadsheet-- then exporting the image. Everything saves to the cloud, or I download it immediately and import/embed/paste it into the target document, and continue on.

Pros

I find draw.io almost effortless to utilize. Frequently I need to produce a simple diagram, layout, or the like and don't need the titanic functionality of market-leading image-manipulation software or its cousins. I can start draw.io without fanfare and export an image in one of sufficiently-varied formats for many of my needs.

Cons

There are some very basic things that the software doesn't to (or that I don't know how to do with the software) that either are not part of its capabilities or are not sufficiently straightforward. Ironically, simply drawing is one of the things I find the software incapable of. That said, this limitation and others don't put me off the tool, they just force sometimes annoying workarounds.

Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to diagrams.net

Lucidchart is excellent, but the toolset feel of Draw.io suits me a little better.
Dhanushka S.

An awesome tool which you can draw almost any diagram online!

Reviewed on 2019/05/05

I was using this platform when I was in university and it was very helpful for me to do my lost of work in very short period of time. Even now, the software company I'm currently working, they use this application. We mainly use this tool to draw UML diagrams, sequence diagrams, business diagrams, layouts etc. So far this tool was very helpful.

Pros

it is easy to use because nothing to install externally; it has drag & drop functionality; they have given very helpful training materials but in my case I never used those because they have given an intuitive interface so it was very easy for me to grab most of the functionalities in short period of time and get my works done. In this platform, they have give lots of temples. You can draw, Businesses diagrams, Engineering diagrams, Flowcharts, Software diagrams, Network diagrams, Layouts for designing web pages, UML diagrams and much more. And also they have given very rich functionalities like import and export your diagram in various formats, track and restore you changes if you have done changes offline, automatic layout, can publish and share(on google drive, one-drive) your work, can work on mobile and desktop devices etc. And the best thing is, in order to use any of those above mentioned functionalities you don't need to pay at all, in fact you don't even need to register with this platform. And you can use your diagrams for any purpose, including commercially. That's awesome right!

Cons

I don't see any major disadvantages in this platform but I suggest if they could improve their customer support bit more, that'll be great.

Vikash kumar S.
  • Industry: Information Services

Blown Away

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Never thought a web based product can be so cool

Pros

Cheap and best web based product
Export and import feature is awesome
Export in to almost all the format
Lots of control to use for,
Create flow diagram, Class diagram, Process diagram all are in

Cons

Dont really have cons but still can add more figures to make it robust

Edgar R.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Flow Chart and Diagram Design for the Masses... for Free!!!

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

I'm impressed and still diving in to all it's features. I really like the amount of templates available to start any kind of project.
There are tons of predesigned symbols to use also for free!
Also, you have a bunch of export options from image files to svg for vector editing that other apps don't have.

Pros

Draw.io is an open source project for everyone. It's a robust team formerly known as diagrams.net but now it's made a really big app for both online and offline (Windows, macOS, Linux) use for FREE!!!!
I've used many other diagramming tools with great results, but I'm really impressed with this tool, no registration needed onless you want to save your work online but all is done in the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.)
On the desktop version (a 74 MB download for Windows) can be downloaded through their Github project mini site, as well as the other versions. No payment whatsoever!

Cons

On the online version some editing and drawing functions are a little clumsy, but nothing that some patience can't solve.

SmartDraw and EdrawMax

Reasons for Switching to diagrams.net

It's free and also has all the features of other paid products.