draw.io Reviews

draw.io

Open platform for creating & sharing diagrams

4.6/5 (344 reviews)
Thomas H.

The to-go tool for small vector graphics

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Once for a project we had to create an UML sequence diagram. We used draw.io for this . It worked great, it looked fantastic. Until we noticed that we forgot some calls so we had to add more boxes and more arrows. We thought that surely we could just drag what we have around a bit without breaking everything but no. Luckily it wasn't very big yet so we started from scratch and did not connect the arrows to the boxes until we were sure everything was stable. There might be a way to stop the arrows from freaking out but we could not find it.

Pros

I love draw.io . Need a graphic for a presentation or some sort of LaTeX report? Use draw.io, it certainly beats fiddling around with LaTeX to get what you want.
It allows you to export in .svg format (vector graphics) which you can scale to any size without loss of quality. Ever tried to increase the size of a .jpg or the like and noticed how horrible it looks? That doesn't happen with vector graphics.
It supports so many useful "graph types" out of the box, it's great. If you want to draw a specific kind of diagram/graph it most likely supports that and gives you all the boxes, edges, etc. that you need to make your graph.
Aligning your elements is super easy thanks to a wonderful grid system that lets you (among other things) place components perfectly aligned side-by-side or under each other.
You can customize virtually anything, size, color, font, font size, anything. Complete control over what you are trying to make.
If you need to make a graph or diagram of some kind and there is no tool to make the specific thing you need, just use draw.io. Or, if there is, still use draw.io because it will probably look nicer and give you a lot more option than whatever tool you want to use.

Cons

The one thing I dislike, I'd say even HATE about draw.io are the arrows. Simple use case: You want to connect two boxes with an arrow. That's simple - except later you notice you don't like the position of the boxes and move them. Now your arrows will most likely try to bend in ways to keep the connection but by doing so they will get horribly bent and look atrocious. This is especially bad if you move multiple boxres.

Sébastien L.

The most intuitive and well-thought-out flowchart and diagram maker!

Reviewed on 2019/02/17

It has been extremely useful in my work to display the workflow of a mobile application to people who are not very acquainted with technology. It was indeed very easy and quick to create personalized diagrams of any size, especially because there are many templates to choose from. All those templates are crafted professionally and give you a great starting point for any kind of project.

It is also superbly adapted to suit businesses, as it can import from many services including Dropbox, OneDrive, GitHub, Google Drive and Trello. This makes it simple to share a file with anyone in the office, especially considering the many export options available. Because it is a reliable and fast software, I ended up designing quick projects for my company and it has worked flawlessly since the first time I opened it to try it out.

Pros

It is very easy to style any diagram to your needs, but the default templates look great out of the box too! I don't play much with styles, but I use the other integrated tools quite a lot, including those for aligning, resizing and distributing elements. There are in fact many different elements to choose from and it's easy to find what you are looking for because everything is nicely categorized. I particularly enjoy how easy it is to position and connect the pieces together in the grid: you can quickly duplicate boxes, draw arrows between them or insert text that are perfectly aligned with everything else. Because of the underlying technologies it uses behind the scenes, the software is available on the web (online or offline with an extension) and it also offers desktop applications, which work equally well. When working with larger diagrams, the outline view comes in very handy. The software allows to export to many useful formats such as PNG, JPEG, SVG, PDF, HTML and others and provides options to get the code to embed the diagram as an image (including SVG) or even inside Google Docs and Google Slides. It is so intuitive that I never had the need to follow along the nonetheless excellent tutorials available on their website.

Cons

There isn't much to be said against such a well designed piece of software. I will point out, however, that even though I'm usually a huge fan of using the dark theme in as many applications as possible, I found it very distracting with draw.io. The contrasts weren't accentuated enough to my taste and I found it hard to see clearly the outline of the boxes in the diagram when working with a grid. The other themes (Kennedy, Minimal and Atlas) are fantastic, but I like using the default theme most.

Jonathan P.

No more headaches to make perfect diagrams.

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

With draw.io I can easily develop diagrams in a short time, my experience with this software has been quite good, it has been integrated with other technologies such as Google Drive, it is excellent for collaborative projects, it has a great performance and it helps me. Do not spend so much time developing the design of the diagrams, and thinking more about the information and the workflow that will follow.

Pros

This is one of my favorites for many reasons, a very nice interface, intuitive and clean, it allows me to create all kinds of diagrams from 0, real time recording, with a great personalization, besides that it is only drag and drop so I can modify everything I want freely, besides all this also allows me to export and import files directly from popular cloud platforms such as dropbox, google drive, trello, etc. It supports a variety of formats, it also has a very wide variety of predefined shapes.

Cons

It is a very useful tool, however, it is for a basic or intermediate use, when very elaborate diagrams are needed, it is a bit short in the amount of tools and customization, however it is still a great tool.

Janosch F.

perfect integration with Atlassian Confluence

Reviewed on 2019/05/12

Draw.io is a massive and lasting improvement to our online knowledgebase and injects the power of making complex scenarios or setups more approachable by visual aids into modern wiki based knowledgebases. This is done by keeping the visual source available in that very same knowledgebase where the corresponding text is also kept. A massive improvement. Absolute recommendation...I would melt away in love, would just the UI look a little better.

Pros

Integrates perfectly with the Atlassian Confluence Wiki. After inserting graphics and never being able to modify them again (let alone quickly or on the fly) into our knowledge base draw.io was was revelation.
It works perfectly to visualize complex charts, gants, images or any other structures and keep the information - in the spirit of a wiki - versioned and editable in order to reflect further changes. Also, I wa suprised in how efficient and stable drafts were saved when sudden disconnects occured or I had to interrupt my work.

Cons

The UI is not slick. Sometimes it had me wondering wether I could do what i wanted with draw.io because it all looked a little like windows 3.1. Then again, everything worked flawlessly. Sometimes the way draw.io saves and manages drawings internally (what is saved where, who can see it, who can access it, etc.) was a little intransparent to me. I always was able to figure it out but would have liked it better when the Information would have been more clear and visible from the start on.

Fast, Convenient Tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Draw.io is a comfortable tool to pick up and put down, and it gets the job done. Often, during my workflow, I open a new tab in Chrome, type 'dr' and the url pops up, and a moment or two later I'm constructing a quick diagram-- layout of casters on a lumber cart, for example, for a maintenance spreadsheet-- then exporting the image. Everything saves to the cloud, or I download it immediately and import/embed/paste it into the target document, and continue on.

Pros

I find draw.io almost effortless to utilize. Frequently I need to produce a simple diagram, layout, or the like and don't need the titanic functionality of market-leading image-manipulation software or its cousins. I can start draw.io without fanfare and export an image in one of sufficiently-varied formats for many of my needs.

Cons

There are some very basic things that the software doesn't to (or that I don't know how to do with the software) that either are not part of its capabilities or are not sufficiently straightforward. Ironically, simply drawing is one of the things I find the software incapable of. That said, this limitation and others don't put me off the tool, they just force sometimes annoying workarounds.

Dhanushka S.

An awesome tool which you can draw almost any diagram online!

Reviewed on 2019/05/05

I was using this platform when I was in university and it was very helpful for me to do my lost of work in very short period of time. Even now, the software company I'm currently working, they use this application. We mainly use this tool to draw UML diagrams, sequence diagrams, business diagrams, layouts etc. So far this tool was very helpful.

Pros

it is easy to use because nothing to install externally; it has drag & drop functionality; they have given very helpful training materials but in my case I never used those because they have given an intuitive interface so it was very easy for me to grab most of the functionalities in short period of time and get my works done. In this platform, they have give lots of temples. You can draw, Businesses diagrams, Engineering diagrams, Flowcharts, Software diagrams, Network diagrams, Layouts for designing web pages, UML diagrams and much more. And also they have given very rich functionalities like import and export your diagram in various formats, track and restore you changes if you have done changes offline, automatic layout, can publish and share(on google drive, one-drive) your work, can work on mobile and desktop devices etc. And the best thing is, in order to use any of those above mentioned functionalities you don't need to pay at all, in fact you don't even need to register with this platform. And you can use your diagrams for any purpose, including commercially. That's awesome right!

Cons

I don't see any major disadvantages in this platform but I suggest if they could improve their customer support bit more, that'll be great.

Adiraju B.

A great alternative to a very pricey Visio

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Pros

Portable - Do you want to use it in browser? You can do it. Do you want to do it offline, well, you can do it. The compatibility difference between the browser version and the stand alone version is very minimal and the lag is almost not noticeable on an enterprise level network.
It has all the required tools to create a design that is industry level. Although it doesn't have all the cross platform compatibility of Visio, it does what it does in a very minimal footprint without the hefty price tag that visio carries. It is small, fast and effective. And almost no learning curve, if you have used visio at least once in your life to create a presentation.

Cons

Not many cons for a day to day design of a minimally interactive presentation. Less powerful than the alternatives in terms of plugins or cross platform compatibility. Visual bugs on the browser version on certain slow or restricted(VPN?) networks.

Ama B.

Draw your model on your own way

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

This is the software platform which i used to create my system models in an attractive elegent way for my research publications.

The most admirable quality in this software is that the unique blocks and features which they introduce provides us to create very eye catching , but formal models according to the requirement of the user. Also we could save the created file and edit it as we need. The export methods they have provide us let to create the finished document of the model in many versions. Personally this feature was a huge help for me since i wn`t have to go through another conversion process to create the required format as i could complete my work within the same session. Another most important fact is , being easy to access, this platform can be used by everyone even without any experience on creating a block and the user friendly environment allows us to create the model without any disturbance.

In overall perspective, this is one of the efficient, user friendly and personally one of my own favourite platform which helps and enables everyone to create their own model as it is on their imagination.

Pros

Easy access and being able to create the model we prefer according to our requirement in an admirable way.

Cons

This is a online tool which i use often for the education purposes. Sometimes the website gets stucked while working and the created memory upto that moment is lossed and have to rebiuld the model from scratch again.

Pedro K.

Finally creator of quality online diagram!

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

In my opinion this system is formidable, it does not require the user to download any program or plugins. Another thing that makes it exceptional and more than one user able to edit the same diagram at the same time, with real-time update, this leaves much of its competitors outdated.

Draw.io is a free program that offers a range of tools, which not all of its paid contributors have, besides the ease and intuitiveness it provides.

Pros

Creator of high quality online diagram, which dispenses with any kind of program installation or plugins.
Great integration with other file management platforms (google drive / dropbox / one drive / github)
Extensive image database to assemble and model network diagrams, uses case, database, wireframe and better has content to assemble basic pages for websites.

Cons

Awesome system, but it can still do some things.
His system of groups sometimes leaves something to be desired.

And the text formatting system has some issues to use too.

Reyes P.

Diagrams, mockups and more in the cloud

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

My experience with this webapp has been excellent, I have not had any problems and use it almost daily, for uml diagrams and mockups.

Pros

This webapp is wonderful, it does not need download, it loads very fast, it allows me to export and import content directly to my drive in the cloud, as well as to my computer or device, it also allows the use of different formats and includes a great variety of maps, diagrams and many templates, quite customizable, is a highly recommended tool for daily use, since it can be used from any device at any time online and offline.

Cons

The least I like is that the interface is a bit full of many things, has many menus, and is somewhat complex when handling very small structures, it is easy to get lost among so many menus and options, it is easy to use but something more difficult to mastering.

Quick and easy

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Pros

Draw.io is quick and easy. I do not need to remember any credentials. It just stores the files in my cloud storage and I can pull it out any time. I love using this.

Cons

I am not sure how secure it is when it accesses one's cloud storage accounts, otherwise, there is nothing negative about using Draw.io

Matthew R.

A great free visio alternative

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/10/01

Overall I am impressed with draw.io and though it's not my go to diagram creator, I have it ready to go as a great alternative. If we didn't have Visio already supplied, this would be the program I would use primarily.

Pros

Draw.io is a surprisingly good diagram creator, that's free. It works very much like Visio and helps create great looking diagrams. The web element makes it very easy to share and view files with colleagues. The fact that you can open visio diagrams and edit, is also very helpful.

Cons

Though there is an offline version it tends to rely on a web connection which can sometimes be a problem. It has a lot of features but it lacks a little when compared to Visio. It can take a little while to learn your way around the software. You can't complain however due to it being free.

Draw IO Covers All Your Needs For Drawing UML Diagrams

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

I believe the greatest benefit of working with draw.io is its collaboration feature. Several engineers can work on the same design which makes it better than other similar products.

Pros

I use Draw.io for drawing UML diagrams. I love that it has specific tools for UML diagrams.

You can get used to the UI in under 10 minutes. Very simple, clean and intuitive design.

You can export it in multiple formats which saves you the hassle of finding another product to convert your document. It also works with Google Drive/Github/various other clouds which makes storing and retrieving files very easy.

It has great library of icons and templates. If you're looking for something in particular, it's probably in there.

You can group and tag objects, which makes managing the diagram easier if you are working on a crowded set.

Cons

Managing the arrows can get tricky. It could benefit from improvement.

While it's great, there is definitely room for improvement. They could add 3-D features, image manipulation, support some additional plug-ins.

Ramindu D.

Simple diagramming that just works

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

draw.io is used very effectively by my team to draw up solution architecture diagrams, ER diagrams and use case diagrams.

Pros

draw.io provides a diagramming solution that is simple and easy to use - no bulky flash-driven interface, no arduous loading process - it just works without any hiccups. It provides a large number of options for drawing diagrams with many pre-built templates. The amount of graphical objects that are available is also impressive. The most valuable feature is that the diagrams are stored in your own Google Drive or on your hard disk, among many other options, so that the diagrams don't get saved to draw.io's servers. This makes it a cinch to just share a draw.io XML file for anyone to work on.

Cons

The interface can be mildly buggy when working with massive diagrams.

Best tool for making perfect diagrams

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

With Draw.io you can chart the diagram you need for every kind of work in a very short time. My experience with Draw.io has been very good so far, I do not think it is going to change in the foreseeable future.

Pros

Draw.io is very easy and convenient to use for making diagrams. Almost every other day, I use it for making UI/UX drafts/diagrams for the website projects I am working on. Whatever your idea is you can make it a diagram for it on Draw.io.

Cons

I believe UI of Draw.io can be improved and made much better. However, I am sure that developer team in Draw.io will take this into consideration and improve the overall UI of the website in no time.

Radoslav B.

draw.io - powerful app to show your ideas with diagrams

Reviewed on 2019/08/04

I have been using this app at work to make some flowcharts. Also, I have used it to make diagrams for my Diploma work. I chose it because it is easy to use, and it makes powerful charts without spreading much time or without having some knowledge of creating vector images or drawing diagrams. It is easy to use and supports powerful tools for showing your ideas with diagrams. I pretty recommend it for small business and personal purposes.

Pros

1. It is open for everyone to use it.
2. There are many layouts you can use - e.g. Bussiness, Engineering, Software, Network, Flowcharts and many other types of diagrams. You just select the pattern and then you can easily edit it by your needs.
3. Of course, if you need to create your own, or just to add some new things to the existing layouts, you can do it by simply dragging some objects from a pane - pretty cool and easy to use.
4. There are no extra things which to complicate the process - everything looks simple and you do not need much time to understand how to work with the app.
5. You can export your diagram to many different types of picture formats and also as HTML which is pretty cool.
6. You can even publish your diagram to link.
7. The app can directly store your projects to your Google Drive Disk and you will have all your work everywhere. No need to download it and then add it to flash drive, or manually upload it to your drive. The app does this instead of you for seconds.
8. You can show many of your ideas, without any serious limits.

Cons

Since now I haven't experienced any inconvenience or any difficulties with the app. For my purpose, everything looks great and cool to work with.

Dilraj S.

Awesome tool for your flowcharts/diagrams

Reviewed on 2019/04/20

Overall experience was very positive. Many complex system designs and data flow were very easy to understand throughout the team when they were created and visualized using draw.io

Pros

We use flowcharts/diagrams everyday to understand and explain how the system is designed and draw.io provides a very reliable and easy to use solution for the same. The system designs and flowcharts can be easily created in no time with the easy to use draw.io UI where different tools are available for the same. Once the diagrams are created, no matter how complex they are, the diagrams can be easily exported in whatever format we want and can be shared across teams members via google share for review and collaborative work.

Cons

Some of the designs look very raw in draw.io. More sophisticated designs or templates can be provided to users so that draw.io starts getting more traction than some of the paid softwares available in the domain of creating design and flowcharts.

Satya P.

A good Tool for Quick and Quality output

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

The overall experience has been good, this is the first tool that I fallback to If I have to do something quickly and good on business or technical drawing.

Pros

Good library of designs, easy to use, saving in many options, connection, and duplication features, web and desktop versions.

Cons

Aesthetics of the components can be improved, add some beautiful templates, and provide auto-suggestions based upon content.

Skyla R.

Rapid Development of Software Engineering charts and Diagrams

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Over the go tool for multi-platform diagram makers. Office and Academic charts with their standards are available on the website. Though the web application takes some time to load it can be improved. Rest of the experience is good enough than high paid online tools.

Pros

The Open source diagram maker helps in making most popular type of diagrams used in Engineering and Office use cases. Flowcharts, State Machines, UMLs and many more diagrams can be made using the tool following the standards.

Cons

User Interface is not much great and not designed for newbie. One must have to explore the complete tool before going hands-on with. Synchronization needs more improvement. There should be a provision of local in-account storage of old diagrams and charts.

7.0/10
Ankit B.

Best place to draw Fowcharts

Reviewed on 2019/08/30

Pros

This is the only place i know to draw flow charts efficiently. Got all the flowchart elements & is very easy to use. The created chart can be saved directly to your google drive or Microsoft drive. The created charts will be saved as raw files and you can open them up to make changes. So in all it servers it purpose fully.

Cons

It ma hang sometime, takes time to load in browser as there are so many options loaded to make a chart, so sometime it seems like it got hang/stuck. It may get removed with time/up-gradations.

Roman Y.

Very easy to use tool for creating prototypes

Reviewed on 2019/01/26

We use this tool for diagram and prototype creation. It's very easy to work on the same file with team members and create simple concepts and UML diagrams that you can use in development process.

Pros

- Very easy and intuitive interface
- Huge library with different shapes and icons
- You can import images and put text on them like on standard shapes
- Shapes can be connected with each other via lines with just one click
- You have a lot of options to customize shapes and lines (color, transparency, curve or straight, etc.)
- You can work with draw.io from your Google Drive and store files on it
- Share link to your file and collaborate with your team members
- You can export your ready diagrams to PNG or JPG format

Cons

- You should login every time when you are opening draw.io diagram from Google Drive
- Performance can be slower with very complex diagrams with a lot of images

My on the go Diagram designer

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/02/05

my products' flowcharts as well as number of UML diagrams such as DFD, User datagrams etc., I have made them with Draw.io; I have also make them sharable via Google drive link wherever I need to share them online.

Pros

First of all without any doubt, as it is a web application, I can use it anywhere, anytime and on any device; which is the best thing. Moreover, as a professional, whenever I draw any product diagram, options such as Export to my Google Drive is a great functionality to save my work as per my opinion. Additionally, here we don't have to Sign In or Register our selves for starting our work! I am sure this will probably very good to use this web interface on the go, rapidly.

Cons

If the website of it, closed by mistake, then I am afraid, you will loose your work! That we have to take care here. Furthermore, some more description is needed for some of the UML Diagram symbols regarding how to utilize them.

Jose f. G.

Realizing how useful is to have a cloud based diagram drawing tool is game changing

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

Great tool to describe processes, and intuitively design workflows. Diagrams can be shared easily and can be fully customized.

Pros

It's UI, especially the simple layout is very clean and easy to use. I love that we can collaborate in realtime to work on larger business process modeling. I also like that I can link to separate pages within a diagram.

Cons

The connectors sometimes are a bit difficult to manage. Also, some of the built in shapes, such as the swimlanes and "pools" are not as intuitive to work with.

Tania tamara O.

is a tool that designs graphics easily and quickly from online diagrams

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

Pros

We can use it directly from any browser, without installing anything. A varied side menu and icons provide us with all the necessary elements to compose our schemes when we finish we can print them, save them in Google Drive, insert them in our sites or export them in different formats: GIF, PDF, PNG and JPG.

Cons

Its interface is simple and understandable do not require professional knowledge to use it, the only draw.io disadvantages, is that you need to interner.

The best tool for creating flowcharts

Reviewed on 2019/05/12

Draw.io is a type of web application, which I use daily for creating variety of charts and diagrams. I recommend it to anyone looking for a working and simple solution.

Pros

It tooks a long time for me, before I found this diagramming tool. The biggest advantage is quick creation, import, predefined templates, export, etc. The tool has easy-to-use UI, which is useful for beginners.

Cons

I would appreciate it if there was a mobile application through which I could also prepare different flowcharts.