1 692 reviews

Visio

Diagramming, process modeling & data visualization

4,5
1 692 reviews
Michael K.
Industry: Tobacco
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The tool for visual mathematicians

Reviewed on 2020/06/13

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

Andrew P.
Industry: Higher Education

Process Development Tool with layers

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that.

I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Industry: Insurance

Visio Tech Drawing

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

Overall the software experience is easy to get up and going and share designs with a team or on awiki web page.

Pros

The ease of use, since it uses Microsoft conventions in the tool bar. Features like the drag and drop also ability to add other vendors information to the application.

Cons

Could be an issues sometimes exporting to another browser for all of the microsoft features in an mht file export or html, for interactive web view (clickable document).

Chaya W.
Industry: Computer Software

Visio – professional in diagram drawing

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

Visio is one of the tools which is used by most of the people for drawing diagrams and charts. Because of the easiness in drawing and and professional look of the final product this application is more famous in the industry more specifically in IT industry.

Pros

Visio has become one of the major applications which is used in drawing diagrams in the industry. Visio has become almost an official tool in diagraming as it is vastly used In most of the companies in creating diagrams related to their business plans and projects. There are various types of diagrams provided through the application . So the users can draw any type of a diagram according to their requirement from the given diagram types. Because of the large number of diagram types provide by the application users’ does not need to search different software to draw different diagrams which saves both the time and money of the user. Visio offers different editions like Standard, professional and pro with particularly improved functions per each edition. Also Visio created diagrams can be imported in another similar diagram drawing software and do further modifications. Even the diagrams drawn by some selected software can be opened through Visio and edit them. Visio offers both desktop and online versions for the users which helps the users to use the product whenever they want wheatear they are connected to internet or not.

Cons

Visio is not a platform independent software. So far Visio is only available for windows operating system. It does not supports mac os or Linux or any other operating system. Which has limited the usage of the application only for the users using windows. Though there are different editions users have to pay for each edition with more facilities. And the price need to be payed seems to be unfair considering the same category applications. Though there is a desktop version in Visio it is not constantly updated. Updates are available for the desktop version within few years time period. So it is bit difficult to work with the desktop version.

Josh J.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

The gold standard of diagram software

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

Excellent. It would be hard to perform my daily routine without it.

Pros

When it comes to creating an active directory topology, server layout, rack diagram, essentially any type of IT related visualization, Visio is the go to tool.

Cons

More templates could be builtin. More automation and integration with third party applications. Otherwise it is perfect.

Graham B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

The standard for our charting needs

Reviewed on 2020/01/06

Within our agency environment Visio is the only application we trust to deliver all of our charting and diagramming requirements within the Business Analysis team. It allows non-creative users to deliver competent charts for reports without relying on the Design team. The app is highly dependable and has developed to support new use cases over the years under Microsoft's parentage.

Pros

- The standard application that allows charts to be authored and distributed across the agency and our clients
- Flexibility to create any of our charting needs, from flow charts to sitemaps and hosting architecture diagrams
- Simple interface to commence learning the capabilities
- Ability to download additional stencils for many charting needs which aren't available out-of-the-box

Cons

- Can seem expensive for casual and intermittent users
- User interface can seem alien for less-familiar users who are used to tools such as PowerPoint
- If the requirement is for a specific task such as drawing up a website sitemap Visio is hugely complicated in comparison to specifically focussed apps

Phyllis F.
Industry: Building Materials

Powerful diagramming software

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

My overall experience with Visio is very good. Once you get past the learning curve, the software is a powerful visualizing tool.

Pros

This is a robust software package with lots of features. I have found Visio very useful for me to create project design flowcharts and project management Gantt charts.

Cons

Since the software has so many features, the learning curve can be complicated at times. But since there is a large user community, you can usually find answers on the internet from someone who has had a similar question.

Donovan G.
Industry: Printing

Good tools but an expensive license

Reviewed on 2019/08/30

Overall very good. It helped me diagram processes and software with relative ease.

Pros

Great diagraming tool. All the features you would expect from enterprise software
Useful auto snapping of elements
Good range of elements to use

Cons

It is a very expensive piece of software for what it is
Default saving formats are only compatible with Visio. Better to have a prompt to say if you are saving progress or want to save as an image etc

Michael S.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Process Maps

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/12/26

This tool is easy to use for making process maps.

Pros

Online Visio subscription costs less than the downloaded version, saves space on my local hard drive and still has all the features I need. We use Visio Online to create process maps. The tool is very intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

Some features are not available with the Online version which would require some users to pay for the more expensive downloadable software, but this is not the case with me.

Jody S.
Industry: Design
Company size: Self Employed

overall review

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/10/05

Pros

this software as needed, it really helped me when I was designing an application

Cons

I like the software, I don't need high spec specifications and user-friendly appearance

Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software.
The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement.
Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365.
Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Steve F.
Industry: Consumer Services

Visio is your type of drawing and diagram software if you are not a CAD expert

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

- I have drawn hundreds of drawings in Visio, from Network drawings to Architectural drawings to Flow Charts and Engineering drawings for parts fabrication.
- It took me a long time to master Visio for complicated drawings but now I would never use anything else.
- Visio drawings always impress the boss.

Pros

- It can draw anything you can think of
- There are many pre-defined symbols that can be dragged and dropped into a drawing
- Pre-defined symbols can be easily incorporated into your drawing with connectors that snap to connection points and can then be dragged to other parts of the drawing.
- It can print your drawing onto any size paper you select
- Drawings, objects, symbols, lines and connectors can be colored using the standard Windows colors.
- Objects and symbols can have data embedded into them from a database or used to create a database.
- There is an almost unlimited amount of help available from boards and users on the web.
- You can import AutoCAD drawings and change them.
- Drawings can be exported into AutoCAD format.

Cons

- There is a very long learning curve.
- It uses the typical Microsoft help function which cannot find things using plain English queries. (Google is MUCH better)
- It may be difficult to find the thing you want to do as there are some many functions.
- The Microsoft "Ribbon" can be a real pain when trying to find a function. It can waste a huge amount of time.
- If you know the name of the function, you can put into the "What do you want to do" search function but if you find it there, it does not show you where, in the Ribbon, that function is, so you do not have the opportunity to learn
- It can be quite cumbersome, when working on something and then needing to do something else, which requires many moves from the drawing to the Ribbon and back.
- The Ribbon
- You use the Pointer a lot but it requires a trip to the Ribbon when you are doing anything else and need the pointer, like text.
- It is very expensive, even when subscribed to it in Office 365.

Sreekumar J.
Industry: Information Services

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot.

While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite, it is quite normal to study and analysis complex business processes of every new customer. To make a case - the process to be automated, solution, estimation, and design, diagrams and flowcharts were inevitable. Making diagrams eat a lot of time before Visio. Visio helped us to streamline this particular activity. It is pretty simple to copy an old diagram, make a few modifications and use it in another document. Another advantage in using vision is scope for modifications and less time to edit the diagrams.

The beauty of Visio is stencils and drag and drop feature to build diagrams. Also it is awesome to have an excellent repository of shapes.

Couple of times, I have used the organization chart feature. The import feature is very much helpful when we have a comprehensive reporting hierarchy.

Live data overlay which enables us to visualize live data in the context of a org structure, a business process, or a manufacturing process flow to get the big picture in one glance.

Once you master Visio, it is less likely that you switch to any other tool for diagrams and process flows.

Provision to collaborate on diagrams simultaneously is a big relief when many users work on a diagram

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version.
If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Jess F.
Industry: Oil & Energy
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Scientist Viewpoint

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Industry: Construction

Microsoft Visio

Reviewed on 2019/01/02

I have been using Visio since 2002. This is the only program which I used consistently almost every day. I develop icons, drawings, flow charts and flyers all in Visio. It is not very restrictive but it is quite loose. I have to make my own templates which may also go wrong. But with experience, once gets better with Visio.

Pros

There are a few strong points in MS Visio. First is its ability to work with vectors. It can easily import SVG graphics, edit their individual lines and then being able to export the SVG again. The export can also be done in PDF. This makes the whole experience of working with graphics like icons so easy. There is no need for programs like Illustrator or Inskscape. Another good feature is that Visio contains thousands of symbols from various categories like electrical engineering, mechanics, etc. That is also useful while building the flow charts and diagrams.

Cons

One annoying part in Visio is combining the lines into a single plan so that it can be filled with a color. When you select all of the connected lines and click Join or Combine ( in Operations), the task is done without an error. But then when you try to fill a pattern or color into that area, it does not work, just because it did not really join the lines. I could never find a way to get this resolved. The only way is to keep trying by reconnecting the line again and again.

Mandeep J.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Microsoft Visio is the best software for your diagram design and documentation of organization need.

Reviewed on 2018/11/10

I have been using this software as a part of my daily job requirements and I can say this is the best software one can get to work on various types of diagrams to suit to your business and organizational requirements.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is the best software for serving the purpose of diagrams designs. It's capabilities to provide the best diagram templates for data flow diagrams, floor plans, building plans are among the best features.
I have been using this software for preparing DFD's and flowcharts as part of my regular job requirements and I can say this is best software for such accomplishments since it offer varities of templates that I can just pick and go for doing my job with ease.
According to me what makes this software stand out is its ability to pick the data from the MS Excess and MS Access which makes it best piece of software for working on diagram requirements in an organization.

Cons

Though it is very easy to use for those who have a little bit of experience using the Visio, however if you are starting with the software the you may find it little bit difficult to understand and get going so I would recommend anyone who is planning to use the software to spend some time with the software and get used to it and then you will find it easier and very useful and effective to accomplish your requirements.

Thamara P.
Industry: Telecommunications

Diagrams easily and effectively

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

Visio has allowed me to create the engineering practice layout. As well as, I have used it for the creation of maps, flow charts, free elements, among others

In my area of work it is very helpful because it is process oriented so it is always necessary to elaborate process diagrams

Pros

the simplicity and effectiveness of use, are characteristics that distinguish this powerful office tool.

Visio has themes that you can select for the realization of particular diagrams of both form and objects. This office tool can be included from the editable mode in other tools of the office itself.

Visio integrates all conventional office options into an ideal tool for diagramming. It has a simple menu like what we are used to with office, also of options that add value to the design.

You should not be afraid to insert images or elements because the tool easily allows it. I include a simple edition

Cons

When I try to insert the editable visio in power point, the visualization is difficult to handle elements from there.

From visio to include an image the size can get to be very small, it is necessary to be attentive to the size with which you are designing from visio.

If you want to open a visio file in tools in the cloud, it is not an easy task, since the particularity of this tool is directly with Microsoft Office.

Amit G.
Industry: Education Management

Excellent tool for mockups and workflow

Reviewed on 2020/05/24

Microsoft Visio is one of the best application for designing of wireframes, mockups, workflow etc. You can find various alternatives over the web but when we talk of performance on desktop system, Visio will come at first place. My overall experience is good and its really wonderful. I am able to express myself in terms of designing wireframes successfully through this.

Pros

Microsoft VISIO is awesome application. I am using it since 2008 and have used various versions of it. Visio is wonderful desktop application which runs smoothly. It consists of many inbuilt tools andd diagram shape which helps you in creating awesome documents such as 1) Mockups 2) wireframes 3) Flowchart 4) Workflow design 5)creating network topology diagram 6) Process documentation etc.

Its drag & drop feature elements, grouping/un-grouping feature is awesome. Micorosoft office related shortcut commands work perfectly.

Cons

The problem with microsoft applications that these are costly. Visio is similarly costly product and its lighter version not available for cheaper prices. Product feature wise i can say that its is weaker on mockup design for Android and iPhone mobile apps wireframes, microsoft should add such stencils also in this application so that people continue to use it.

Kim C.

One of the "killer apps" alive today

Reviewed on 2017/06/08

Too numerous to mention. Suffice it to say the phrase 'A picture is worth a thousand words' is very true and this product helps bring ideas to life.

Pros

Granted it was purchased by Microsoft from Visio Corporation in 2000 but it hasn't lost a thing, which is quite unbelievable. In fact, it has gotten better over the years. I have to say it is truly one of the most "beautiful" pieces of software I've ever used. From the flow of the user interface to the creation of almost any type of diagram, Visio has been there for me since day one. The ability to layer diagrams and images can not be beat. With some additional VBA work in the tool, it can not be beat for ease of use and flexibility. It can also connect to a database and create ER diagrams. It also has UML which can almost turn directly into code. Almost. It's not quite there. Yet.

Cons

It will come as no surprise that the price is what is the most absurd. The pricing of the product lines will take this software out of reach of casual users. For doing any truly useful work, the Professional version is almost double the Standard version. Microsoft needs to lower the cost to increase its market penetration in some sectors. Otherwise, a solid all-around product.

Kim C.

Visio 2013 still top notch!

Reviewed on 2017/12/25

Pros

Visio 2013 has raised the bar for the challengers. While I already enjoyed using Visio 2010, I now really enjoy Visio 2013. The addition of the ribbon interface now makes it easier to set up and enter frequently used features along with providing a very workable interface to add drawings, pictures and any other diagrams needed to make business flow. I use this tool almost every day to produce and refine presentations to staff and managers. I particularly like the workflow diagrams which allow me to get my point across as to where the resources are used most heavily in day to day business.

Although I've looked at other tools, I still believe this tool is the best value for the money and for interoperability with other systems.

Cons

While there is not much to dislike about this software, there are some features which leave something to be desired. An example is the ease of placing headers and footers on the diagram. Now, it seems that we have to use the title feature which only allows headers and footers as background layers for the Visio diagram. I'm not sure I like this feature. I think there needs to be functionality that allows the user more flexibility in designing and entering headers and footer with ease. The current functionality permitted by Visio 2013 is somewhat clunky. There should be an easier way.

Jerry A.

Invaluable software for documenting entire computer network. Full of features, full of functions.

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

Biggest benefit this gives us, after having used it for so long and put a lot of work into it, is great visibility into the design of our entire network: firewalls, routers, switches, servers; building layouts, cabling paths; access points, desktops, phones, printers. Everything is organized so well, we can easily lookup physical locations, switch ports, and cable paths, making troubleshooting much less difficult for our IT Technicians and Interns.

Pros

It's pretty powerful and full of features and niceties. Using this software, we've been able to fully document our existing network, document all upgrades and changes. We've even used it to integrate into our Active Directory network to build out organizational charts. It has shapes and templates for just about everything we've needed: org charts, switching and routing diagrams, individual switch cabling, diagrams for documenting our server racks, our phone system, work flows, and building layouts. We recently more than doubled the size of our building, and this software has helped us to document everything in the new building, and keep track of upgrades in our existing buildings. Software is easy to use, so our interns have been able to jump right in and start working with all of its features.

Cons

It does seem to use a lot more memory than other Office programs, so it does tend to crash a lot on us. Mostly when we're using some of its more advanced features like integrating it into Exchange/Active Directory. Even still, it works well at what it does, we just need PCs that have a lot of memory to ease the user experience.

Wayne E.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

The only Microsoft tool to use for some types of graphic, but finicky and difficult to use

Reviewed on 2017/09/10

More sophisticated capabilities than other Microsoft graphics tools

Pros

Capabilities to go beyond simple diagramming, including the ability to use macros with layers to switch views within a single diagram. This alone once saved me the effort of producing multiple diagrams for the same workflow process, reflecting how groups of users with different permissions would "see" the same flow.

Cons

1) Shapes only offer one text block. Classic example: database "cans", where I'd like to have a "name" text block within the oval and a "description" text block within the body. After all these years, surely Microsoft could work out a way to have two or more text blocks in a single shape (or on a single connector)!
2) Connectors love to re-route and are hard or impossible to "lock down" in complex diagrams, including both diagrams built "from scratch" and those using templates (e.g. organization charts).
3) Temperamental Templates. All of the templates I have used (organization charts, database relationships and home room layout in recent memory) have been almost as much trouble as they were useful. Apparently room layout is a particularly challenging task as I couldn't find a good non-Microsoft tool elsewhere either.

I'm fairly widely experienced creating business graphics with a number of tools, but not a full-time graphics professional. I use Visio to visually document systems and databases with which I work in software development and maintenance.

As such, I'm technical enough to understand something about the shape system, but with only a rare opportunity to "tinker" with Visio to try to "get it to behave". I'd really like more ability to "lock" connectors and shapes and richer text capabilities for both shapes and connectors.

Bottom line: Visio's ease of use has barely changed in years and is the single area that Microsoft should address next.

Matthew R.
Industry: Government Administration
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

An easy vector based diagram tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Overall, Visio is a great tool and has been improved a lot over the years. The quality it produces and the precision of measurment, gives you that peace of mind. It's not too difficult to master and you can easily start using it without major training.

Pros

Visio makes creating diagrams satisfying. It is generally quite easy to use but is packed with a lot of features the more you dig into it. It has helped us create visually appeasing diagrams that don't take long to put together. Visio's template and icon support is another great little feature, which helps add to the visuals and accuracy.

Cons

Though it's a great tool, it's not the cheapest and sometimes the implementation or 'previews' make it difficult to share files with those who don't have visio. Though you can save files as regular jpegs/PDFs etc. it can sometimes be frustrating to share and edit with those who don't have it.

Cesar a S.

An idea express on the screen and a help for your business

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/01/17

With Visio in our company we can model a basic set of features where the people does not work in the right or maybe they are not in the right condition to have an acceptance performance. So with the software we can determinate which are the conditions that was making the people does not produce the proportion that the administration department had been calculate and we saw that was an incompatibility between the job that the people are doing in the condition of their workplace, we can determinate that with Visio and with direct interaction with the workers.

Pros

Visio allows to the users to make a conceptual map of their ideas, through the creation of schemes what can show the actual condition of the company, where the changes has to be do, how we can improve our markket sector, how we are spending our money and how we are managing our budget, we can also fixed the key points to evolve or to resolve some probles of our company or business. We can do all this with a massive quantity of elements to show a precise image of our ideas and show how the thing are, and how the things could be in our company.

Cons

The many disadvantage for many companies or little business it is the price, maybe some companies does not want to spend a great amount of money in a software who they think can be replace with a free software, another limitation it is associated with the team work, to represent a perfect image of the company you have to hear a every person involve or even the most of them, if you do not do that you can show a personal image, a personal problem and this cannot be the idea of all the company, that it is going to be your personal opinion of the problems of the company, you have to be beware of this.

Jose de jesus R.

My pleasant experience using Microsoft Visio

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

Pros

One of the tools that I use with great frequency is the Microsoft Visio, it has helped me to capture or draw different aspects of the projects that I have the responsibility to lead or assign to my team.
The tools incorporated within Microsoft Visio allow giving that professional touch that allows to group flow of information and descriptions at the same time and end user is easy to understand.
Equally the different stencil that can be incorporated, facilitates and integrates the information, I have had the experience of searching for stencil of proprietary brands to be able to work with the hardware of my professional environment without any kind of problems.
And when presenting or exporting it is very easy, the incorporated help is very useful when clarifying a doubt.

Cons

This wonderful tool to graphically capture ideas, projects, information flow and even design of structures, has its sales it is possible that it also has its point against, which is not much in micaso that could be for a person with little knowledge in really what If you want to capture, it could be a problem to know that there are thousands of stencils available that help create a more professional document.
Another one of the few points against could be that the tools of left side are hidden and it can be difficult to stop the novice user to obtain them again.
Of the rest I recommend 100% the use of Microsoft Visio