Avalara Reviews

Avalara

Tax compliance done right

4.3/5 (166 reviews)

In general Avalara has been a great product. It saves us a great amount of time every month.

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Avalara definitely saves time and money by automating the sales tax. As well as keeps us in compliance, as I could not keep track of the sales tax we owe in every state when tax rates continually change.

Pros

You don't have to think about it. Once you get it set up, it runs smoothly on its own and only requires a monthly review to tie out to your GL. Having Avalara remit sales tax on my behalf is a great option.

Cons

The software works great. We have had issues with the Cert Capture add on. Which can be very confusing to use. Also setting up reminders on the cert capture side is challenging, and the email directly to customers from Cert Capture is a confusing process for both the administrators and the customers receiving the requests. I would also like additional stability with our customer rep. We are on our 4th customer rep in about 18 months. Along with changing reps, our contract is not reviewed and we have been overcharged. This last fall our overcharging went on for about 4 months and then took another 3 months to get the cash/credits back from Avalara. I also would like Avalara to have a better integration with Amazon. I end up having to import Amazon transactions into Avalara every month, with is always a challenge.

Sabine D.

Watched this company go from great to terrible

Reviewed on 2018/04/03

Multi district/state tax calculation made easy.

Pros

Platform is flexible and mapping is intuitive, even for complex tax situations. Easy integration with Magento Enterprise.

Cons

Reports are difficult to run. Its more complex than it should be to add manual transactions and the UI needs a considerable update. But my biggest complaint has been in the lack of customer service. It has regularly taken WEEKS for our customer service rep to respond to my emails. And when I showed the "Customer Experience Manager" at Avalara the chain of emails that shows it has regularly taken weeks, I get no apology and refuse to honor my request for a new customer service rep to take over my account. They are forcing me to work with a rep who has failed to perform. That is simply unacceptable.

I have recommended and installed Avalara, Ava Tax, Ava Reports for several organizations over the past 10 years and initially they were amazing to work with. I feel saddened that I can no longer recommend them due to the decline in their customer service.

1.0/10

A great resource for sales tax calculations

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Overall, I am very satisfied with Avalara. It has connectors to the software and eCommerce sites that I need, and with those, setup is quite painless.

Pros

The software works great. Once you have it set up, it runs in the background and involves almost no review. I know we are always charging the correct tax rate and with the tax return processing, I know my returns are being submitted correctly and on time. With exposure in most US states, staying up to date on all tax changes and filing individual returns would require a small team to keep accurate. With Avalara, we set up the states and localities we are in and the software takes care of the rest.

Cons

When questions do come up, customer service could do a better job. I have also had our individual customer rep changed on us multiple times in the last year, which is frustrating. I have also experienced billing issues around the time of renewal each year, which can take up to 4 or 5 months to get resolved.

Alejandro C.

Tax calculations made easy

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Avalara saves us a lot of time by keeping track of all the sales tax rules based on products, customers, zip codes, tax exempt certificates. We just need to setup the states where we have business in, the products and upload the tax certificates and Avalara makes the rest.

Pros

Avalara makes tax calculation easy for each of our sales order. We no longer have to be too much concerned with the right tax rates in each of the states and counties we have business in because Avalara update those rates every time a tax rule or tax rate changes. Each time I need to research when a tax calculation is wrong, based on the user’s input, I found that Avalara is correct and that the issue is related to something the user is missing to take into consideration.

Cons

The only dislike that I have is that Avalara support takes a lot of time to get back to you. I always end opening a support case thru e-mail, chat and phone, so I work with the one that answers the fastest.

Peter C.

Great Service

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Great experience overall. Software if easy to navigate. If you have a question they are fairly quick to get back to you and provide specific support.

Pros

Ease of use and navigation of support questions. There is a lot of capabilities in the system depending on your business structure. Any questions that you might have about using the software is available for non users in the support search.

Cons

Support emails. Blocky and convoluted, they notify you if there is a support request made. They become hard to follow with the generated support number and when the request has been elevated to another department or specialist. I mostly just archive the emails without looking at them as they tend to be redundant (which has had me miss some important emails unfortunately). Would benefit greatly in cleaning up the email format.

Gabriel D.

Tax Cert Organization for any Sized Company

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Pros

I use Avalara's CertCapture program for filing all of the tax certs my company receives. If you are still keeping physical copies, you need to consider this. CertCapture allows the user to assign account numbers and names to every cert uploaded - it also allows expiration dates to be set. A report is processed every couple of weeks to see which of our customers will need to send in updated paperwork. Then an automated email and fax are sent, reminding them what certs are needed. Staying in compliant is one of my top priorities and this allows me to do so with ease.

Cons

I am honestly struggling to think of anything negative to say about this software. We currently use Vertex for our tax calculations, i would like to start using AvaTax though. I work for a large corporation and from what I've been told AvaTax doesn't meet our business needs. I would like to see that change in the coming years.

Reanna R.

Takes the hassle out of filing taxes

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Pros

- Portal is easy enough to navigate. Lots of training and tutorials provided
- "Set it and forget it" .. well not exactly .. you still have to monitor and reconcile monthly to ensure everything is running smoothly. But saves a lot of time logging in and figuring out how to file taxes monthly for each state.
- Reporting is very transparent. Easy to download reports, and compile and save info for auditing purposes.

Cons

- Use Tax functionality is not fully automated for all software. We use NetSuite, and there's no way to capture Use Tax on Expense Reports so these must still be entered into Avalara manually.
- Customer Support is sometimes lacking. It takes forever to get a hold of someone on the phone, and when you do, many of the times the case just gets escalated to someone else so no immediate help. Also, they may point you to an article online that you've already found by Googling on your own.

Great tool for eCommerce, but error messaging sometimes unclear

Reviewed on 2018/08/18

Pros

We love how AvaTax automatically calculates and reports on sales tax - there don't seem to be any competitors that can do it as well as Avalara does. The Magento extension works perfectly and we run into issues only occasionally.

Cons

When we do run into issues, it's either because the data coming in to AvaTax is garbage data (not really their fault), or because of random matchback issues related to tax product codes and address verification. For the latter, the errors are really not verbose enough to solve the problem. Manual reposting of transactions isn't very intuitive when you have to fix errors/mistakes on an order without literally logging into AvaTax and creating new records.

Markian P.

Overall the software works as expected and provides great value for us as an organization.

Reviewed on 2018/04/05

It drastically reduces the amount of time required to calculate sales tax, remit tax returns, and reconcile.

Pros

I like the reliability of the software, the lack of problems that arise, and the degree of simplification it brings to what could be a difficult process.

Cons

I feel that some of the integrations with third parties could be improved, namely QuickBooks, as the ability to run batches of invoices has never worked for me despite numerous attempts to fix this with customer support. I also believe that the customer service has been drastically reduced over the last year based on some recent experiences. This is a shame because Avalara had some of the best customer support I have ever encountered, previously.

Max Y.

Full service sales tax solution - Saves a lot of time!

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

Lots of time saved, peace of mind regarding rates charged and filings.

Pros

The website is fairly easy to use once you get used to it, including the Avatax and Avacerts websites. Integration was relatively painless with Netsuite and was mostly handled by the Avalara team. No having to worry about rates being correct. With the filing service no having to worry about tax filings.

Cons

The software is fairly expensive, and there are no like-for-like alternatives on the market. Some of the tier breaks are strange (specifically with the certificate capturing portion). Doing a few things isn't as intuitive as it could be, such as taxing a regularly exempt customer one time on a specific order.

Shannon M.

Great product...poor performance in QBO

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Support has been mediocre. The current issue is on it's 4th month with no anticipated resolution timeframe. In the meantime my client is paying me to manually enter these and reconcile Avalara to ensure that the system reports the proper totals as well as to educate their support team. I feel bad that they are paying a lot of money for a product that is not functional...to my knowledge, all of my requests to get them a credit for their inconvenience and the product issues have been ignored. As the title states, a great product "in theory", but it needs to work! Sales Tax is nothing to screw around with.

Pros

Avalara has a great concept if it works as designed. Auto-calculates sales tax based on address, ensures updated tax rates, filing assistance for multiple states...it really is a business owners friend...in theory.

Cons

Unfortunately, Avalara does not work well with QBO. There seem to be many bugs experienced with QBO. We have used Avalara with QBO for over 1yr and seem to be their guinea pig to alert them of issues. Currently, Avalara's connection is preventing us from saving and updating invoices in QBO and is not posting tax to the Avatax console for approx. 50% of our $2mil/mo client. We have to manually enter each invoice into Avatax to ensure that the proper taxes are paid. Unfortunately, if we need to update a class, memo, email address or any other aspect of the invoice (not related to ST) we cannot update those 50% of transactions. After support reviewed the issues multiple times, they tried to blame the issue on QBO. But when we disconnect the QBO from Avalara and try to do the same transaction - it works...so Intuit has confirmed the issue is isolated to

Response from Avalara

Shannon, we're sorry to read you've experienced challenges using AvaTax with QBO. We understand it's been frustrating, and we'd like to address your concerns. If you're open to a conversation, we'd like to learn more about your specific experience and how we can improve. Please contact our VP of Customer Excellence Bobby Sands at [email protected]

2.0/10
Julie B.

User of Certcapture -IDSC Holdings Snap-on Industrial

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

I really like the tax information provided through the blog, and twitter feed. Managing tax documents has gotten a lot easier since I first started doing this 10 years ago.

Pros

I can customize for my needs
Searching is easy
Campaigns make collecting expiring certificates easy

Cons

I would like to be able to add email contact for our sales field when we send email or letter to customer in a campaign.
Would like to be able to bulk upload certs
Drop and drag would be cool for adding certs
We have two sub companies set up. I would like to merge them so i have visibility for customers who are under both companies, and only have to upload a certificate once instead of under both companies.

Theresa F.

Couldn't do it without them!

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

In the wake of South Dakota v. Wayfair, Avalara alerts us if we have nexus in a new state. This is a priceless benefit. Also, Avalara was instrumental in helping us comply with a Tennessee customer's request for a multi-year sales tax refund. Thanks to Avalara, we survived the experience without hiring additional labor and the customer was satisfied with the outcome.

Pros

Avalara keeps up with all the nationwide changes in taxing jurisdictions month-to-month so we can focus on our business transactions and not struggle with tax compliance. They operate seamlessly in the background and keep us accurate and exposure-free.

Cons

I am eternally disappointed that I didn't come up with the concept for Avalara myself =)

Amy M.

I have Avalara integrated on 2 of my online Bigcommerce stores.

Reviewed on 2018/04/26

Pros

As with most Bigcommerce integrations, setup was super easy. Signing up for an account and a couple clicks and you're good to go. Calculating sales tax/setup on the backend of an online store can be time-consuming if you don't have Avalara. I do not use the software to do any tax return prep or reports so the version I use is completely free. You can't beat free for a no hassle sales tax calculation experience. State laws change and it's nice to have software that keeps my stores up to code.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons to the software. It is free and truly takes the hassle out of calculating state sales tax for all my customers. If you are looking for a software to take care of all of your sales tax needs, such as reporting, you might be able to find cheaper alternatives.

Robert B.

As my company expanded into multiple taxes, having AvaTax was essential to managing sales & use tax.

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

This headache is almost entirely outsourced to specialist. We concentrate on our core business instead.

Pros

Once implemented, it is simple to use both for the administrators and our customers. AvaTax has covered a wide gamut of situations that my business presents. The software itself is thorough no matter what jurisdiction or product/service is sold and the product help desk is quick, user friendly and complete.

Cons

The integration with our ERP software and e-commerce website yields a frequent rounding issue on the customers' invoices. Not blaming AvaTax for the issue, but neither AvaTax nor our ERP have the flexibility to address the problem.

Kimberly K.

Avalara Cert Capture

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

The Avalara system has been very beneficial in the tracking and uploading of tax certs for all of our customers. It has also proved to be a very efficient way of pulling certs during audit reviews.

Pros

Uploading tax certs and searching for tax certs within the system is very simple

Cons

This isn't really a con. Currently we have not used the reporting function or the request for information function. It isn't as simple and takes a lot more time from what we have been told. The instructions we received were very detailed and seemed a bit complicated. I will be able to better score this once we have a chance to actually work with it.

Greg H.

Avalara review

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Avalara Avatax for SAP is one of the key add-ons that our users use to get their job done on time.

Pros

Using the add-on for SAP has made tax calculations something that our users don't ever worry about when performing their work in SAP.

Cons

Customer services is a bit on the slow side. We have a user that occasionally calls for support and waits nearly an hour before getting service.

Response from Avalara

Thank you for sharing about your experience with the AvaTax integration with SAP, we're happy to hear it's been positive. We are committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Dottie K.

Software

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Excellent sales tax program. Top of the line glad we went with Avalara back in 2015. The support group is well versed on trouble shooting and resolving issues. I would highly recommend Avalara to any other company that is looking for a sales tax program.

Pros

The software has the ability to capture from start to finish with taxing the invoice to remitting the returns to the state were we collect sales tax.

Cons

Would like to be notified if Avalara stop taxing on invoices instead of finding out after the fact. This could be on the connector side, but still to put in place even an email to let us know.

Excellent Service

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

Pros

Avalara has saved our company so much time and hassle with sales tax. Our company does business in all 50 states and it is hard to keep up with the changing tax rates. Having Avalara by our side gives us confidence that the taxes we are charging the customer are correct.

Cons

Avalara has grown a lot since we started using them. Our company was one of the first. For a while, it seemed as though it was taking Avalara a bit more time to respond to our requests and inquiries, but the company has added more staff and the response rate has improved.

Jeanae R.

Avalara Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Good quality people, expertise and concern with perfection of product. We were a bit oversold on connectors, etc.

Pros

The automation of getting correct tax rate for multiple states in which we do business. I think it is a valuable resource and good value for the money. There's no way we could keep up with all the laws and tax rates and keep our software updated accordingly

Cons

When working with Support, they assume that I am a software person. I'm the accountant and often don't understand their techno lingo. This is very frustrating. Also, there seem to be frequent issues with the Avalara software not communicating back with my software, causing posting issues. This is frustrating as well.

Mark P.

We use AvaTax to calculate sales tax on customer invoices for multiple states and jurisdictions.

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

AvaTax handles all of the sales tax calculations, reporting, returns, filings and payments seamlessly. We were very pleased with how easy it was to set up initially and how seamless it has been since then to use. Definitely would recommend it to others who need to simplify and automate their sales taxes.

Pros

Very easy to implement and use. Handles all of our sales tax requirements with little to no effort on our part. Integrates well with our financial system. Very reasonably priced.

Cons

We really do not have any complaints. We have been extremely pleased with AvaTax. It has worked great for us.

Peace of Mind

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

Excellent Customer Support
Tiered Pricing for a Mid Sized Business
Detailed Reporting
User friendly Portal
Flexible Nexus Rules and Company Structure Setup
Easy Website (Retail) Integration

Cons

Very little. If I can think of anything it would be that the pricing is tiered based on level of transactions, so if you do a very high volume of extremely small transactions with a very tight margin and need to utilize Avalara or another service for your taxation call the ROI in time saving could potentially be negated by the cost.

Rachel D.

Difficult to Setup

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

Pros

Makes tax collection and administration more streamlined, puts the burden into the hands of those at Avalara.

Cons

Though the program is "administered" by Avalara, they make it very clear that they will not provide advice for tax setup and implementation. If you are not well versed in tax laws, you will have a hard time figuring out how and which apply to you. Customer service has very long wait times.

Response from Avalara

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution. From what you wrote, we recognize that there are things that have gone well and areas that may need improvement. If you're open to a conversation, please contact [email protected]

7.0/10
Jason S.

Saved my butt on state sales taxes.

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Saves time, money, and simplifies your life.

Pros

Saved me a clerical body no longer chasing and updating new tax rates. Added new efficiency points on sales tax collects. Excellent sales tax reporting. I've passed 11 sales tax audits without any charges since I've been on the software.

Cons

I wish the address field could be more dynamic in our use of the product. As our product is tied to our ERP the addresses must be set up for use and as such that is good, but if the step was combined it would save time.

Mike M.

AvaTax works great for us in automatically figuring taxes on quotes.

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

The automation of tax for every applicable quote that we produce and send to our prospects and customers.

Pros

The fact that it is automatic. My sales reps don't have to think about it...it just adds the appropriate tax for the applicable states/counties. We use a quoting system from Connectwise and AvaTax integrates such that we can see the specifics of any tax associates with our quotes. Most of the time however we don't look at anything...it just shows up on our quote when we publish it to the customer. Great product for our purposes!

Cons

I don't really have a "con" for the product. It does exactly what we wanted...and were told...it will do.