Saba TalentSpace

Put your people in the driver's seat of their own experience

4,4
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Customer Support has taken a nosedive since the Saba acquisition

Reviewed on 2018/03/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

One of the things that sold us on Halogen was the fantastic customer support, but I feel like since Saba acquired Halogen, the customer support has taken a nosedive. I've had three Customer Success Managers (essentially an Account Manager) in the last two years, and I think they've reached out to me once in that period of time, right around the time of contract renewal. The tech support team used to be able to answer questions and resolve issues on the first phone call 99% of the time, and the phone would be answered within 2-3 rings. Now it's not unusual to be on hold, or have to log a support ticket and have a Tier 2 support person step in on nearly every call.

Pros

Generally it is easy to use, once you get the hang of it. I like that it is customizable to a large extent.

Cons

The administrative portal can be challenging to use, and it seems that most of the updating has taken place on the front end. Adding users, documents, and profile photos is very time-consuming and requires too many steps.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

E. jay H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

After one year, still going strong...

Reviewed on 2016/03/04

Following 9 months of development, we had our first annual review process completed by April 2015. It went well, but required some significant back end administration due to process issues we had built in. This wasn't the fault of the tool, but more due to the development. We really had to go through one iteration to get better at it and learn how it works. The major issue I had with the software was lack of appropriate reporting - there was not a built-in report for simple things I wanted to see, and I have not been able to set up a report for all managers to use to give them data on their employees.

Pros

Customer support has been great. I wasn't able to pull reports and contacted the team. They walked me through setting up the reports and identified that what I was trying to do would not work in any browser other than explorer. Software works as planned very well, which is what the long development cycle helped with.

Cons

Reporting still remains an issue. Useful reports are not built into the system and I am not able to set these up for my managers. I have highlighted this to the Halogen team but have seen no updates - it's still a manual process for each manager to set up their own reports.

Christina L.
Industry: Law Enforcement

Using Halogen In the Public Sector

Reviewed on 2016/04/26

Our law enforcement agency began using Halogen less than a year ago. Our old performance management system was archaic and very had very bulky maintenance for Human Resources. Halogen has brought us into the new age and has provided tremendous support to get us up and running. I spent about 6 months learning about Halogen and working with an implementation consultant to ensure that the software was customized to best suit our needs. In addition to our customizing the software, we were provided with testimonials from other clients and given tips and tricks from Halogen to best encourage user adoption from our employees. The Halogen culture of customers and support is extremely easy to access and helpful.

Pros

Feedback to document employees performance year long, not just was evaluation time. This has increased transparency with our employees and supervisors.

Customization of the forms and processes

Ease of connecting with other customers and support

Cons

Has proven to have some limitations for our law enforcement agency. Building out competencies and forms was very labor intensive because there was not a variety of pre-built law enforcement competencies (officer safety etc.). That said, some of the competencies in the Halogen Library were able to be used after being manipulated.

Lizzie R.
Industry: Accounting

Halogen customer for 8+ years

Reviewed on 2013/12/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like best that the software is upgraded several times a year and that it remains intuitive for the end user. I like that they have excellent customer support and that I can get through to a live person right away if I have questions about the system.

Cons

There is very little I dislike about Halogen Software. As with all software systems, it is never perfect, and sometimes, we need to make some workarounds to accommodate our needs, but I appreciate that Halogen is willing to help come up with solutions and/or they update their product if it is something that their other customers would find useful as well.

Stephanie E.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Excellent Customer Service and Quality Software

Reviewed on 2015/12/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

They have top notch customer service and are always listening to their customers to improve the product. The administrative side is user friendly and not too hard to learn. Halogen works quite well for what we need it to do, and we are always brainstorming how we can better utilize it to improve processes in our organization.

Cons

I wish this was a "do-it all" enterprise type software. We currently have many different software solutions and it would be nice if Halogen could do them all!

Bonnie T.
Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Highly Customizable

Reviewed on 2018/09/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Really good but be prepared to dedicate some major man hours in the set up

Pros

You really can make this software do whatever you want it to do. There are a lot of customizable options

Cons

It takes a lot of work building out the software. It’s be nice if there were more “out of the box” functions and forms that could be edited. Especially for companies that don’t already use paper forms

Michael M.
Industry: Mining & Metals

Halogen World Class Performance Management

Reviewed on 2016/03/04

Halogen is a World Class Performance Management System. We are going into our second year and have seen the benefits associated with the appraisal process and Learning Management modules. In addition their Tech-Support has been hands-down second to none, certainly World Class.

Pros

Easy system to learn & manage

Cons

Currently I'm unable to think of any cons!

Ashlee K.

Great product and user experience!

Reviewed on 2014/06/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Customer service is excellent. The product is very user-friendly. Our implementation consultant made it a very smooth learning experience for me and made herself available for any issues we experienced with the software.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. The entire process, from learning about the product to implementation, went smoothly. The only thing I would change is to do the administrator training in person rather than over the phone.

Molly F.

Industry: Telecommunications

Halogen setup

Reviewed on 2014/07/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I love the guidance we have received in setting this up. We are about to go live with it and have been helped every step of the way. One concern has been that Halogen asked for additional payment for setting up a QRC, which I think should have been included.

Cons

It's complicated to set up, but you receive lots of help. It does more than I wanted it to do, so we have limited its functionality.

Cassandra P.

Halogen is Helping

Reviewed on 2017/09/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I love the 1:1 meeting feature. Our managers are actually engaged in meeting with their employees.

Cons

I would have preferred a software that included features such as time sheets or payroll connections.

Cina H.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Halogen helps!

Reviewed on 2017/08/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

online set up
dashboard
workflows set up
reporting
customer service is awesome!!!

Cons

not the easiest to navigate
not the best training set up to learn product
bugs

Excellent Performance Management Platform

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/08/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I appreciate the training provided to me, as I am a new administrator and the training is interesting and useful.

Pros

I like the reports that can be created. They are easy to create, and are very useful in evaluating performance and providing performance bonuses.

Cons

I think it can be more user friendly and engaging for our employees. Some of our employees get confused about how to include goals and write self-evaluations, so a guide for employees would be beneficial.

Julie G.
Industry: Law Enforcement

Halogen and Law Enforcement

Reviewed on 2017/03/13

Pros

Halogen has the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of working with-Hands down. They are knowledgeable, quick and efficient and so pleasant. The site is intuitive and good looking. The employees love that we moved from a computer based program to a web based program as most of our staff work out of the office/in their patrol vehicles. Feedback central is the best thing ever. It has completely shifted our culture from performance evaluation to performance management.

Cons

Halogen is a bit bulky on the back end for law enforcement specific items. We have very specific procedures that required Halogen to develop some work arounds for us. Even still there are some things that we need that Halogen just cannot do yet. However, they are constantly updating so we are hoping they integrate some of our wish list into future updates.

Bobbi K.
Industry: Accounting

Your imagination is the only limitation

Reviewed on 2017/04/06

Pros

Very flexible. Great customer service. Seems to be on the cutting edge of what trends are coming up in performance management (i.e. one on one meetings, etc.)

Cons

So flexible it can be overwhelming at times. Halogen has many "bells and whistles" that it can be overwhelming at first, especially to new users.

Karen B.

Managing Your Performance is simple with Halogen

Reviewed on 2016/02/08

We are a Commercial Insurance Company with concentration in the Construction Industry. We have 250+ employees in our organization and have been using Halogen for 1 year. The application is fantastic - truly gives an employee and/or leadership access to Goals, Developments Plans, Feedback, Reviews, etc. in one central location. The Implementation Team, Product Team, Customer Service Team - they have been great! The entire experience with the product and the company has been fabulous!

Pros

Create an electronic processes for manual/paper forms
Customized Reporting
Customized View
Customized Learning Units
Customized Learning Paths
e-Courses available
... and more!

Cons

That we didn't purchase sooner!

Todd V.
Industry: Gambling & Casinos
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Every great business is built on friendship

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2017/04/26

Pros

I would have to say the service and support. TMS systems are more or less built and designed to do the same thing. However what truly separates the good from the truly great is the service that follows the implementation of the product. Halogen truly does have a great product, but they enhance it by providing truly exceptional service.

Cons

I keep looking...and if I can't find anything that easy...what does that tell you about the product?

Melanie G.

Great for flexible year-round communication

Reviewed on 2016/12/01

We use the Performance Management module of Halogen, and it's been a hugely successful upgrade from our previous, paper-based system. I am the administrator and came in with no Halogen experience; within a week I was administering, with help from the support team. Which is key: Halogen has great support and they will work with you to get the system to do what you need it to do.

Pros

Not only easy to use but also easy to learn.
Very customizable.
Support comes in a variety of forms so you can choose which is best for your problem, learning style, or training audience.
Encourages yearlong engagement with performance management through editable goals and supervisor/employee relationships.

Cons

I wish the coding for forms was a little less confusing. Some of the buttons for that (and the processes themselves, only not quite as much for those) are counterintuitive and require more try-it-and-see than I'd like.

Lena M.
Industry: Hospitality

Great product, even better service!

Reviewed on 2015/10/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Halogen Performance and 360 modules make it simple for employees and managers to share feedback. We love the recognition component and that employees are able to share feedback with their colleagues at the right time. In our 2nd year of feedback, our employees are thrilled that they can pull the notes they have been making all year long right onto their review forms and not have to try to remember what they did over the last year, or re-write it! Our managers love the Comment Helper to get them started on what to say.

Cons

I'd love for there to be a phone app and a way for us to use the Recognition button through our employee intranet (and not just Outlook). I'd also like to see the Comment Helper available for employees.

Maren K.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Rockstar of talent management

Reviewed on 2016/11/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our organization has used Halogen TalentSpace for 9 years as our goal management, feedback and performance management solution. We also use the learning module for managing training. The system configuration is simple and building processes and forms is fun. You can use the solution for more than just performance reviews - we use it for compliance sign-offs, coaching, individual development plans, compensation management, and more. The best part about Halogen is the world class customer service - they are simply the best out there!

Pros

Easy to configure, great tools for Outlook users makes feedback simple and easy, can integrate with other applications. It's as complete a solution as you can have for managing HR programs that isn't an HRIS system.

Cons

It's not an HRIS or payroll system so you need to integrate it with your other solutions.

Brittany F.
Industry: Farming

My Review of Halogen

Reviewed on 2015/11/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is a really cool LMS. There is a lot of flexibility to create whatever works for your organization. I think my favorite feature would be the feedback section. You can write comments about your direct reports and/or other employees in the organization. This feedback is attached to the employee's annual performance review.

Cons

With any system there are limitations, I would like the e-Recruit system to be more robust. The process to recruit and hire is junky. It looks like a lot more money goes into the Performance section than any other part of the system.

Kerry M.

Helpful support desk

Reviewed on 2017/12/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Their customer service desk is generally very helpful. The reps are very helpful and easy to understand. There has only been one time when they were unable to solve my issue. Customer service was a big issue with our previous vendor, so this has been a welcome change of pace.

Cons

The interface is not terribly intuitive, particularly on the admin side. For performance management, other vendors are more user friendly on the user side.

Ronald K.
Industry: Utilities

Performance Management Consultant

Reviewed on 2016/02/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Halogen provides an outstanding talent management system that is easy to implement, is cost effective and provide outstanding customer service.

Cons

There are no issues that would cause us to dislike this product.

Alissa D.
Industry: Farming

Halogen Review

Reviewed on 2015/12/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Halogen has an excellent staff all around including their terrific customer support team who is available 24/7!
Prior to using Halogen, I had no previous experience working with performance management systems but the implementation team was great and Halogen is so user-friendly that I was able to pick up on it quickly. It's a great system, especially the Performance module.
I also appreciate that you are assigned a continuous advancement consultant to assist with any post-implementation needs you have that are not appropriate to direct to their customer support team. Mine has been invaluable!

Cons

I love that they accept enhancement requests (and I've made plenty!), however it's a bit frustrating that there's no easy way to track the status of requests you've submitted so you've just left wondering if anything will ever come of them.

Gisele T.
Industry: Philanthropy
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

great experience

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/08/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Very easy to use, cloud data base mobile friendly. Like the performance appraisal 630 and option for the employee to give feedback and set goals.

Cons

Customization can be improved. It is very heavy on administration and requires a great deal of time.