Mike B.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great tool, but internally we needed MUCH better requirements gathering in hindsight.

Reviewed on 2018/03/01

From an IT perspective, none honestly. It is a maintenance and support nightmare. However, in all fairness to Vertex, I feel this can be mostly if not completely attributed to our internal lack of sufficient requirements gathering before implementation.

Pros

The potential tax savings and benefits it can uncover. As well as the gaps it has helped identify in some of our processes.

Cons

The cumbersome cloning and configurations requirements have proved to be especially difficult or time consuming throughout the process.

Venkat A.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Vertex O Series

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

Pros

I like about the updates that go in to every patch monthly which we least bother about the Tax changes across global.
We operate globally and this is the best I feel about.

Cons

It is difficult to use and the main is search does not work as intended and backspace.

There are some forms where these two mentioned don't work and highly difficult in terms of usage.

Thanks,
venkat

Paul S.

Vertex shines in the Reports

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Easy of filing is a plus.
Setting up custom tax categories has helped

Pros

The Tax reports/Returns are mostly spot on.
I work on 220 returns which Vertex tracks, once I understood the States layouts and how well Vertex matches each, filing has become very easy

Cons

Credits are always hard to track. Sometimes Vertex applies a credit and the State does not handle the credit the same way.
Manual adjustment to the tax records which the tax returns calculate from are confusing
Being able to "void" test data would be a plus.

Brian L.

We have used Vertex for over a decade. Very solid product and great support - in the unlikely...

Reviewed on 2018/03/02

Big gains in the efficiency of managing sales tax - from the calculation on the order to the filing of returns. We were able to reduce the time required from technical team in supporting since most admin can be handles by the functional group.

Pros

The application administration is built for the functional users - very little support required from a technical standpoint.

Corey M.

I am pleased with the software's capabilities. It automates many manual processes.

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Pros

I like the ability to run reports and see all of my data so I can manage it myself, in addition to taking advantage of the reporting functionality. I also like the transaction tester which provides instant sales tax quotes. The customer service people are also exceptionally friendly and the Exchange provides a great opportunity to network with them and fellow colleagues.

Cons

I think that the software could be a little easier to use and some of the tax rules, tax assist rules, and logic behind tax decisions could be made easier.

Subhankar S.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Tax Product for the future

Good

Pros

The compact structure.It should become the go to for all customers.

Cons

The complex design.Not as user friendly as the Vertex Cloud version.

Nestor F.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

O Series not for all customers

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

Not easy to setup on some customers. Would not recommend this for any customer that needs 24/7 operations.

Single point of failure. If any part of the connection to Vertex is down the ERP system is unable to complete jobs. There should be some way to cache existing Tax information locally and sync to the live data. This way there is no way a connection can cause down time.

Pros

The only thing that was good about O series is no manual update required.

Roger T.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

We use the exemption certificate manager and I do not recall receiving any training

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Pros

The exemption certificate manager is a handy tool and allows us to quickly retrieve certificates by state.

Cons

On Demand keeps having unanticipated breaks in service. I don't understand why a secure server keeps going down. It is a major customer red flag that the server is off line for unexplained reasons

Response from Vertex

Roger,

Thank you for your feedback. The Vertex O Series On-Demand notification service sends out a generic blast notification to all customers in case of any type of service event. These service events can range from a general slow down in application response times to a full blown application outage. Given the service¿s single dedicated instance per individual customer, even though you might receive an initial blast notification, the event may or may not be applicable to your particular instance. We do provide real time application status pages to customers at your request. If you are interested please contact your Vertex representative.

Jen Armstrong
Marketing Specialist
Vertex Inc.

Tom W.

No title

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

Vertex is not tuned for either database platform that is supported. This causes delay in real performance in the tool. Major cases we have had to escalate to senior management to get any sort of response and then development comes back and states well that is the way it is and we can't help you.

Pros

The number of countries supported by the software.

Cons

Support case response time is very horrible. Typically, it takes 3 weeks of ping support to get any sort of real answers. API response times not the best.

Traci P.
  • Industry: Accounting

Vertex

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

I find that every report I pull is a preprepared report. I would like the flexibility toi run custom reports utilizing all info in the data base.

Pros

Straight forward dropdowns. Easy to find customers

Cons

Would like to be able to drill down more

Mathew S.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

User friendly and saves company resources

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

accuracy of sales tax reporting and sales by state analyis

Pros

ease of use, response time to update tax rates, accuracy of reporting, ability to process a lot of data relatively quickly

Cons

I wish the website was built more like pivot table formats. The filters are more of a scrolling list instead of a grab and drop function.

Jason S.

We use this software to update sales tax information in our back end system.

Reviewed on 2018/01/25

Easy to use, and obtain sales tax rate files.

Pros

The Vertex cloud makes it very easy to obtain the sales tax rate files that we require for billing out of our back end system.

Cons

The only thing that we don't like is being charged a minimum fee if we do not use the software in any given month.

Rosalie y. F.

Vertex O Series new version

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

Overall, it is better than the previous version and hopefully the customer support will be able to help incase something crash.

Pros

interfaces, color and new style. very modern.

Cons

font and maybe it would be better if you have some sort of guide for new users on how to navigate it.

Vaughn R.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Audit Data Integrity

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

Pros

I recently went through two state tax audits with the period audited included data from Vertex and transaction tax data from our historical systems..the variance for a quarter for a significant sales volume between the vertex data and the auditor's evaluation was amazing.

Cons

Honestly nothing but I've never interacted with Vertex customer service as we have a dedicated financial tech team.

Janet Y.

Wonderful customer support for helping me to get through how to use this software.

Reviewed on 2018/01/26

Pros

Real time updated sales and use tax rate saves us a lot of time to search online. Criteria for helping decide if our product taxable in each state is really the best tool.

Cons

Not clear which part is not in the subscribing package and need to pay extra cost. There's no criteria for deciding if out-of -state business needs to pay sales and use tax or not.

Seema M.
  • Industry: Automotive

Vertex 0 is new and simple

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

it is good and we have TAm who is really responsible and active in the tickets we raise

Pros

reporting is awesome and I ilke the note tab too

Cons

testing should be more good .
Customer support should be more proactive

Veronica P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

It has been ok.

Reviewed on 2018/01/26

Other than some kinks we are trying to work out it is very nice to have the returns already generated.

Pros

The returns already generated versus filling in the information from a spreadsheet.
It is pretty simple to use.

Cons

All the little issues like sales versus use tax. It is generating two returns when we are only set up for use tax which creates filing issues with the states.

Joanne D.
  • Industry: Wholesale

We use this for research along with reporting, billing and exemption maintenance.

Reviewed on 2018/03/01

Sales tax has a lot of little variances across the states, across industries and cross products. The product supports all our changes and updates in a constantly changing market. I have a lot of confidence that this software allows us to consistently bill our customers correctly. Even when there are customers out of city limits getting billed otherwise, we can send the issue to the support team and they research and provide a solution in a very timely fashion. Granted there is not always a solution but that is communicated well.

Pros

We are able to test various scenarios as we expand our product lines and add states. Designing a report that meets your exact needs is helpful when completing returns and the exemption records are neatly stored and easily accessed.

Cons

Adding customers and their certificates can be time consuming since the advanced selection tool now pulls up everything then lets you request a specific account to add to. There is also a lot of date sensitivity that blocks things versus 6.0 which just let it go. Updates to the software are making both of these issues more pronounced.

Lee M.

Meet my expectation.

Reviewed on 2018/03/02

Pros

Currently meeting our needs for our tax service but we are exploring adding other regions. I have nothing further to add other then my first statement.

Cons

This does not happen often but sometime trying to find the answer without having to contact Customer Support. I have nothing further to add other then my first statement.

Chris C.

Support has been great, no issues with functionality of the software

ease of use, reporting

Pros

Ease of use, functionality, ability to create reports. Ease of updating every month with the file that is sent out by Vertex.

Cons

No real issues, we have been running Vertex for many years without too many issues, all in all we have been happy with it.

Azra khairis M.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Vertex O v8 better than STQ v4

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

Pros

Installation and configuration is easy to deploy. Good user experience.

Cons

Integration with SAP ECC is a bit complicated and not straightforward. GUI interface for Vertex Central should be redesigned for simpler navigation access maybe like SAP FIORI?

• Industry: Telecommunications

Great Customer Support

Reviewed on 2018/01/25

The automatic feed, calculation and development of our returns is key. This saves me a lot of time.

Pros

Vertex's customer support is amazing! Our adjustments and returns are due in by the 10th. It was late on the night before they were due and I noticed that a return appeared wrong. I was very nervous that it was too late to do anything about it but I emailed support anyways. Within minutes I had a response and the person communicated back and forth with me to answer all my questions and help me straighten things out.

Cons

The upload process for adjustments is clunky. I would rather see a better interface that allows me to add transactions with a fill in the blank instead of an uploading process,

Kim D.

Vertex has taken the burden of keeping up with tax law and tax rate changes off my shoulders.

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Pros

It is very flexible and I can generate many different types of reports with it. It keeps up with all of the law and rate changes so I don't have to, yet still offers me the ability to make changes to the rules if necessary. It keeps track of all the exemption certificates we receive. It is reliable, I haven't had many issues in the last 7 years of using it.

Cons

The reports do have a limit to their use. I often have to use multiple reports to get all the numbers I need, instead of being able to access them in one report.

Preston B.

Vertex Cloud Review

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

Very user friendly. Nice to have a software that can tax in different states as every state tax rate is different.

Pros

Fairly easy to use
Nice to generate reports for specific states
User Friendly
Has all the taxing jurisdictions in each state outlined

Cons

How long it takes to generate a simple transaction report for a state sometimes
I would not trust Vertex submitting an actual tax return. The numbers never match up from what generated report says to what the numbers on the state sales tax return.

Julie D.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Excellent Sales Tax software

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

With all the laws changing with ecommerce, we realized we had to begin collecting sales tax in many states. Vertex has made this task much easier ... instead of hiring employees to continually calculate and analyze tax data for state reporting we rely on Vertex to help us calculate what we need.

Pros

We collect sales tax from 34 different states and would have to hire a team of employees to do what Vertex does for us.

Cons

The software is a little difficult to understand at first, but with each issue I learn more about the capabilities and how to handle situations within the software.