TaxCloud

Sales Tax at the Speed of Commerce

Stay Away - better options available

Reviewed on 2019/08/30

overcharged by $1k over the course of 2 months and refuse to talk to me, answer the phone or resolve the issues. They will change your subscription and there is no way to revert. Waited on hold twice for over 15 mins
The website portal does not work and often results in just a blank screen

Pros

the tax rates calculate accurately that is the only good thing

Cons

customer service is non-existent and unresponsive

Response from FedTax

It's challenging to respond to an anonymous review as we have no ability to investigate the claims. If the reviewer has unresolved issues I urge them to contact us. Our support team is available M - F 9AM to 6PM ET.

• Industry: Semiconductors

Automatic filing and period!

Reviewed on 2018/12/10

Very poor to bad experience is all I can say about this software.

Pros

The software is capable of automagically calculating sales tax and even assists in filing them directly.

Cons

But the amount of flexibility the software offers in terms of variable rate taxes is very minimal. Also there is no easy way to include county and local taxes.

Response from FedTax

Not sure what you are speaking of. We calculate sales tax at every jurisdictional level for every address in the US. This would include state. county, city and parish in LA.

S nixon B.

Inexpensive and works well. Straightforward implementation. Looking forward to new marketplace...

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Pros

It's potentially free, and easy to implement with many e-commerce platforms and marketplaces. They're about to launch a new UI, along with new marketplace mobile apps, using Polymer Web Components. That should allow me to have all my sales channels centralized in one place, which will be great.

Cons

I have to file in all 24 streamlined states in I want to use TaxCloud for free, though I admit that that point might become irrelevant in 2018 with all the regulatory changes.

Andrew M.

Simply helps to keep track of sales taxes for internet transactions.

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

TaxCloud seems to have been improved significantly with a better UI. It is much simpler to use. It saves a lot of time and effort, and is a necessary service to those of us growing online sales in multiple states.

Pros

The free version is very useful. I think many will upgrade to the full version in time. From what I can tell, it is the best value.

Cons

None really. Can't complain at a free service and it was easier to set up that I anticipated.

Matthew J.
  • Industry: Utilities
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great Product at a Great Price

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

Highly recommend.

Pros

Compared to most every other tax software out there, TaxCloud is by far the best value. It's full featured and low cost (or free if you're a small business with limited sites and sales).

Cons

Even though the interface is easy to use, like anything new it took a bit to get comfortable using it. But after that it's second nature and does just what it needs to do.

Ryan R.

Horrible service - Hidden Fees

Reviewed on 2019/09/14

It should make dealing with taxes easy, but the setup and end user experience is horrible. Not sure how you can have a company function with this type of customer service. Weeks go by with no responses to calls or emails.

Pros

It should make sales taxes simple. It doesn't....

Cons

The service to get things started is horrible. They charge for things not spelled out at beginning and won't resolve questions through email or by calling in.

Response from FedTax

Ryan - Our apologies for your poor customer service experience. We do our best to be responsive to our over 4000 clients, but come up short from time to time. We are working tirelessly to improve. Regarding your assertion that there are hidden fees, we respectfully disagree. In reviewing your invoices, the fee you seem to be referring to is for Redundant API calls. These happen when we receive additional Lookup calls on a cart that hasn't changed or is identical to the cart on the initial Lookup call. Redundant API calls are the result of a flawed implementation by merchants and add cost to our business through additional computer infrastructure. Redundant API call costs are expressly discussed in our Terms of Service and transactions that have Redundant calls are specifically highlighted within the TaxCloud portal. You should talk to your developer to see why redundant calls are being generated and have them fix the implementation.

Gary D.
  • Industry: Building Materials

This is very easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Pros

The best is it is up to date in all city and local taxes that can change in an instance. We saved some money from a local tax that had expired.

Cons

Well, it is something that you could probably get through local and state offices , but if you do enough business it is almost free.

Jasmine A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Great Poduct

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

It was great overall.

Pros

It worked like it said it would work, and even better.

Cons

The software was completely new, something that I have not used before so it was unfamiliar.

Response from FedTax

Thanks for the review Jasmine!

Larry M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Horrible Support

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

Easy to setup and use. Address lookup works most of the time.

Cons

We are being charged for duplicate transactions and cannot find a reason. The downloaded transaction history shows all transactions occurred at 4:00 AM so that was no help at all. A support ticket was created 4 months ago and still no answer. As a test, I created a test website, made one test transaction and immediately took the site down. There were no duplicate transactions from the test website that day however; the next day there was.

Response from FedTax

Our redundant API call policy is clearly outlined here: https://taxcloud.com/topics/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/#Troubleshooting:tta360013700311 Redundant API calls are a problem as they hinder the performance of our platform unnecessarily and add to our technology infrastructure costs. We charge for redundant calls to change behavior, not make money. A decent developer should be able to look at your implementation and quickly fix the issue. Your charges for redundant API calls are in the single digit $'s per month. The reason you are not hearing back from support is that we can't fix this problem, but you can...and it is taking time away from more serious client issues.

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

I have repeatedly been trying to get TaxCloud to call me and to remote in to fix the bug in the software. We keep setting up phone calls but TaxCloud never calls in! They are NOT leaving me a phone number to call them.

Pros

I like that TaxCloud handles my website's needs for different tax rates for NC customers.

Cons

There is a bug where MORE tax is being collected than it should!!!!

Response from FedTax

Please send me an email [email protected] and I will have someone reach out to you. It's unlikely we are collecting too much tax as we regularly get audited by state governments but we will certainly look into it for you. UPDATE 6/5/2019 - Upon investigation, this merchant is sending us shipping charges (even though there is no shipping being charged to their clients) that is creating a sales tax event on the shipping. This is not a bug, nor is more tax being collected than should be - TaxCloud is responding to the data we are sent with the proper sales tax treatment on shipping in NC. If there is no shipping, stop sending us shipping charges. This is a poor implementation in this merchant's cart /store that is erroneously being blamed on TaxCloud. The "No Customer Service" tag is silly as we have the record of interactions our support team has had with this merchant.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics

It had everything to be a great tool, but not!

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

It had everything to be a great tool for taxCloud compliance however customer service is almost non-existent and with the amount of bugs that it has it would help to get a hold of someone faster. It takes weeks to get someone on the phone. Taxes were filed late, late fees letters arrived, etc. Maybe they should have waited to launch this after this was at least at a good use level and just a few bugs. I feel like I'm paying to test their system.

Pros

Easy to integrate. Streamline states is a big advantage.

Cons

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE and MANY BUGS to fix.

Response from FedTax

We'd be happy to engage on the issues made here but the name and company name of the reviewer is withheld at their request. Without such basic information, we have no way to investigate this review to take corrective measures or reply in any fact based fashion - or even confirm that the person represents a TaxCloud client. If the reviewer sees this, please feel free to reach to me at [email protected] to connect on your concerns. Thank you.

Brynn R.

Calcuates tax great - pray you dont need tech support

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

I love the ease of which it works when it works. But when you do need help it is virtually impossible to receive it timely.

Pros

The ease of setting up an account and nexus.

Cons

The customer service is horrible. They have been saying since last summer that they are aware of the issue and are working to make it better but we still see that same lack of support. We have tried calling and contacting online but receive no response. The receptionist will not put you in touch with an actual human or escalate the message.

Response from FedTax

I connected with the reviewer on this feedback. It appears there was some communication issues between our receptionist and support team that delayed our initial response back to the reviewer. For this we apologize. After two requests, I have not been informed of the issue that has been out there since last summer. We have no record in our service ticketing system that an incident was opened last summer for this client.

Rita H.

Terrible customer service

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Pros

I've been using this software for over a year and It works most of the time, however didn't calculate the tax properly.

Cons

I talked to customer service at least five times and promised to call me back, but never actually called me back.

Response from FedTax

We appreciate the feedback Rita and apologize for the service response issues you've encountered. We have been dealing with much higher service ticket volume in recent months due to several factors including our UI upgrade, pricing change and mostly the Wayfair SCOTUS decision. We have increased the size of our support team recently and will be adding more people and improved processes shortly. We appreciate your business and are focused on doing better.

David B.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Very poor customer service - takes days to respond to technical issues

Reviewed on 2018/07/06

It took care of our sales tax computations and saved time and at one time worked well.

Pros

Easy to install. The top line reporting is clear and concise for completing quarterly sales tax returns.

Cons

Recently increased pricing model so our few $/per month increased to more $ per month. For this you get a slower dashboard and unresponsive customer service. It used to be so much better.

Response from FedTax

Thanks for taking the time to review our service and we apologize for the service issues you encountered. Regarding the customer service issues, we are taking action by hiring additional staff which will help us be more responsive than we have been recently. Based on the limited nexus footprint of your business and the recent Wayfair ruling by the SCOTUS, you should move to our Automated Compliance service - which would be FREE to you.

Kali l. K.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Absurd Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/10/23

I would not recommend.

Pros

It sounded like it would integrate seamlessly, but I honestly didn't have time to try it out fully.

Cons

Before I was even able to access the full functionality I received an invoice for a time period before I even had signed up for taxcloud. They admitted it was erroneous and corrected it. However, I asked them to go ahead and delete the account as I didn't want to deal with software that was malfunctioning before I started. A month later, I received another invoice and they immediately withdrew the funds from the account connected. This was at the end of August. I reached out again. They admitted, again, that it was a mistake on their part and would get it taken care of. I did request immediate termination of the account for a second time and they did fulfill on this request. However, as of now, almost two months later they repeatedly say they will get back to me with an update and fail to follow through. It's just bad business. I wouldn't recommend using due to their unwillingness to resolve what should be a very simple issue.

Melissa B.
  • Industry: Fine Art
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Rip off

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

Terrible

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company

Cons

Scammers taking money with no reimbursement

Response from FedTax

Hi Melissa - We'd like to add some facts to the record of your review. 1.) You opened your account and went live in June 2020. Our trial period is for 30 days, it's not indefinite. You had one transaction in Aug, Sep, Dec and Jan. 2 transactions in Feb. 2.) The $100 fee was because your credit card was rejected, which does cost us money to correct, hence the fee. 3.) Upon going live, our base fee for API calls 0 to 1000 is $30 per month. It doesn't make a difference if you do 1 or 999, it's $30. Our pricing is transparently described on our website at https://taxcloud.com/pricing. 4.) You selected our state subsidized service where you collect in all 25 of our member states. If you only wanted to collect in the state(s) you need to collect in you should have selected our other service option. 5.) Your account has been deactivated. Your conclusions and name calling run counter to the facts and are based on you not understanding our service and pricing. Best of luck in the future.

Joy O.
  • Industry: Insurance

Quality, easy help with taxes

Reviewed on 2017/09/21

peace of mind, quality accurate help

Pros

I love that this software makes taxes so easy for me. I usually hate doing this and it pretty much is set up to automatically just calculate what is needed. I love it.

Cons

There is really nothing I dislike about this software. It is very easy to use and is very quality and accurate

Richard G.

TaxCloud Difficult to Use

Reviewed on 2019/02/10

Poor.

Pros

Inexpensive and makes reporting easy if it works.

Cons

Very hard to set up and very hard to get useful help.

Response from FedTax

Hi Richard - Sorry that you found TaxCloud difficult to set-up. We have a great deal of material available at https://taxcloud.com/faq and feel free to reach to me via email at [email protected] with any other questions.

Richard R.

Attempting to terminate service agreement with taxcloud

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

The TaxCloud Terms of Servce Agreement states that in order to terminate that agreement, 'Merchant must log into the TaxCloud Merchant Interface, and click the “Close Account” button.' I have consumed several hours looking for that button with no luck. If anyone knows where it is, I would appreciate your input.

Pros

It appears to be better than most as far as a learning curve.
I did not use it as too much, as I have decided to retire
rather than go through this online sales tax situation.

Cons

I've spent quite a lot of time attempting to contact someone to
talk to with no luck.

Response from FedTax

Hi Richard - If you'd like to cancel your account, please email [email protected] and it will be taken care of.

Cl G.

Supper easy integration and amazing product compared to other services.

Reviewed on 2018/06/19

Extremely cost efficient scalable sales tax processing and reporting that eliminated all burdensome sales tax matters. Sales tax is now easy. By voluntarily signing up to remit sales taxes in SSUTA states my business is indemnified against audit risks in those states.

Pros

All sales tax functionality is simplified, and now is much more cost effective. The service has been completely re-engineered and is much improved. The new reporting and customer interface are superior to anything else on the market. I love not having to buy an expensive enterprise software solution. TaxCloud works seamlessly across multiple platforms and is designed to scale with my business needs. TaxCloud is a true very powerful cloud based system providing my business with a tremendous service that frees up valuable time and resources.

Cons

No real cons..at first customer service seems a concern. However, this is short lived once the immediate anxiety of employing a new service is overcome. I quickly realized that this is an efficient customer friendly self service platform, and after integrating the service most all customer service issues were unwarranted. Therefore, there was little need for me to actually request customer service. That said, this product is a tremendous value. I could pay more for a competing service with more immediate customer service, however there does not seem to be any advantage in doing so. Once up and running TaxCloud is seamless and needs no additional handholding, and their scalability, reporting and functionality is the best value out there.

Daniel I.
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Solid plugin with woocommerce

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

Pros

It was a bit difficult to setup, but once I got it going, it provides me with solid reporting every month.

Cons

It's a straightforward plugin as I use it with wordpress and woocommerce. Honestly, the biggest con is that the setup process wasn't easy. I also wish that I could download past invoices from the website, but currently it's only being emailed to me.

Response from FedTax

Hi Daniel - Thanks for the review! We just released our new user interface to our website. Hopefully, the set-up process is easier to navigate now.

Brian G.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Cant integrate with Ebay , or cant find out how to.

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Overall, it would be a great solution, except the time-consuming registrations and expense required to get tax number for each state (those that are not in the Free list) , plus lack of eBay integration, We're seriously considering simply exiting the e-commerce business entirely. (Thank you SO much SCOTUS for that stupid ruling!)

Pros

Seems simple to set up, I did find how to integrate with Amazon, Bonanza, and I was all excited to start using it... But then could not find any way to integrate with eBay platform despite finding the ebay connection logo... So it stopped right there - we never went live.

Cons

Can't find any way to integrate with Ebay which is our largest (by far) sales platform. Would have been a perfect solution for us, but for that little problem. Also, it appears we'd have to sign up for sales tax license for each state we need to collect for (those that aren't in their automagic 24 states list) which would be tedious, time-consuming and was why we were looking at options (We looked at TaxJar, but $100-ish per state would cost more than it's worth for many states where we may end up with an economic nexus this year - in some cases we'd only be collecting and remitting a few dollars a month)

Response from FedTax

Hi Brian - Thanks for the review. You are correct, we currently don't have a plug-in for eBay. However, you can still upload eBay transactions into TaxCloud via a .csv file in a spreadsheet. Reach to me at [email protected] and I'll forward you the transaction upload template. I'll go into the system and try to find your email as well.

Mario W.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Sales department was enthusiastic. Software integrated well. Problems caused mayhem with no...

Reviewed on 2018/06/12

The software took a time burden from my shoulders.

Pros

Mostly the software runs seamlessly once it is set up correctly. Helps avoid expensive business costs.

Cons

When there are issues with accounts that need attention the customer support is not there. Trying to get things back on track is not being addressed for their end. While TaxCloud claims to be easy it becomes difficult and frustrating to make corrections. I will consider a different Tax integration system.

Response from FedTax

Thanks for the review. Glad to see the positive ratings on overall quality, ease of use and Features/functionality. We apologize that our customer support has let you down. We do our best with limited resources trying to maintain our FREE service offer for small businesses. We do our best to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours and have plans to invest in additional support resources in the near future.

Michelle G.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Tax Cloud Helps you keep track of internet taxes

Reviewed on 2017/09/15

Helps me to keep track of my internet sales tax w/out all the hassle of figuring it out on my own.

Pros

Do you have a business that you need to collect internet taxes on? Well then I would highly suggest you use Tax Cloud to make sure you are collecting the right amount. Each state is different, and with Tax Cloud, you can be sure you are collecting the right amount. It gives you monthly reports with the breakdowns of everything. It even has automated compliance for 24 states! I have been using this for the past 6 months, and not sure what I did without it. Great software to help you keep track of your internet taxes.

Steve B.

I would give them minus stars on customer service. Their email doesn't work and no one return...

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

Pros

They provide free service & filings for member states if you register with the SST as a model 1 filer. You also limit your choices if you choose to back away from them.

Cons

1. Can't communicate with them. Changed pricing structure, yet they over charged and there is no one to communicate to and email bounces back.
2. They don't provide any assistance on setting up Tax Categories. The definitions are theirs, yet they provide no support.

Avoid using them unless you have a strong IT team and will take risks

Response from FedTax

We apologize for the difficulty in getting to our service desk recently. The release of our new UI and a new pricing change has created a large volume of calls. As we are the service provider that can offer a FREE service, we don't have a large number of resources available to deal with surging call volumes. Rest assured, we will respond and deal with any issues you are experiencing.