Drupal

Open Source Content Management Platform

Adam D.

The Supreme CMS

Reviewed on 2021/02/12

It was a difficult process to start. I came from Wordpress which was stupid simple, but once I learned Drupal and realized the power it had I was completely sold. It's great for all sizes of projects and has a great community of people using it.

Pros

Drupal's content management struct and philosophy is so robust. It can handle any kind of content, not just blog posts. The ability to model data exactly how you want it and even query and create views is unparalleled.

Cons

The learning curve on Drupal is high. The documentation is cumbersome and so it's difficult to know where to begin without help from somebody who already knows. That said, once you "get" Drupal you'll never look back

Michael H.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Great for users who are more advanced

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

Pros

I like the flexibility of the modules and themes.

Cons

There seems to be more a learning curve compared to other CMS. There's also not as big of a developer community.

Anita R.

Drupal – a cozy platform for websites creating

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Drupal is a great opportunity for non-technical users to publish content to website on their own. There is an uncountable number of themes, which you can use for your website. Drupal updates each month, so you can be sure that each day people work on improvements. I recommend using Drupal. It is a reliable and flexible platform. The level of security is pretty high. But the most important thing is that Drupal will help you to create a professional website without coding. Do not doubt. It worth using it.

Pros

When I started using Drupal, I understood why so many government agencies used it. It is really robust. I like that Drupal propose a lot of different modules like video, membership, commerce. Thanks to them you may add new features to your website. What is important – each module have submodules, which help to add only those blocks which you need. But the best is that you may combine different functions of different modules.

Cons

I wish Drupal admin panel was more modern. Everything is too sharp and “grey”. When started using it for the first time, it did not seem to be very intuitive, but I got used to it quickly. Also I dislike that there is no simple drag-and-drop builder. It still takes not little time to create a new layout. I worked with WordPress for several years and must admit it was a little bit easier to navigate. Maybe the reason was that WordPress has fewer features than Drupal, but still.

Complex but amazingly powerful content management system

Reviewed on 2018/01/24

We rely on drupal to run our websites.

Pros

Drupal is not the solution you go to if you want to quickly put out a simple website. It IS the solution you want if you need a website that will scale, if you need robust features, if you care about security, and if you don't really mind getting your hands a little dirty. A lot of things are really more complicated than they need to be compared to Wordpress, but unlike Wordpress, you can accomplish so much more with Drupal with the right modules and a little customization know-how.

Cons

Complexity. If you're just starting out with Drupal, you can easily find yourself using 5 modules to do something one module can do, which leads to a more bloated install as you add more features to your site. Knowing how to keep the site lean has performance and security advantages because you don't have to have so many modules to keep in line and updated.

Jarett S.

Drupal - a CMS that could use an UX upgrade

Reviewed on 2019/03/09

Hopefully the new decoupled admin built in react will make for a better UX experience that will draw more attention to the system's strengths versus it's downfalls

Pros

Drupal is extremely versatile for people who have used it for a while. You get the options of being in an ecosystem for large scale development CMS software and it's all open source.

Cons

What can be extremely useful can also be horribly complex and not without it's challenges. Drupal 8 has gen going through some growing pains leaving devs a mystery in which path they should take without being left out. The community seems to talk in closed circles sometimes and you are left wondering if you made the right dev choice. <- this isn't a joke the webforms mess at the beginning of the drupal 8 cycle was a shit show.

Ken L.

Extremely powerful and versatile for creating websites

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Initially installing Drupal required some heavy lifting but once it was in place, everything ran smoothly.

Pros

Once Drupal is up and running, it's very easy to create and build complex, content-rich websites using the various Drupal modules. Drupal can be leveraged to add features such as advanced admin UI, extend libraries such as jquery, and add features like blogs or google analytics. While using the modules may not be a straightforward and require reading docs, doing it within the Drupal framework ensures consistency throughout your web service. It's certainly much safer and simpler than attempting to install all those features yourself. Drupal is also open source and free to try out. The community is quite active and ensures future proofing of your CMS. Even though our use case was not terribly complex, we still found quite a bit of value leveraging the Drupal framework. We know that as our requirements change, Drupal will be able to handle the load.

Cons

Drupal installation was not the smoothest for us. My recommendation is to carefully read the docs ... then read them again. Make sure you have all the prereqs for all the components necessary. Once you have this in place, installation will be much more straight forward. For more complex integrations in Drupal, we did have to leverage a web developer. It's not always point and click installation.

Aníbal M.

Powerful but difficult for the user, it can be improved

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

In my work I managed to complete the development of a project with this software, our team was congratulated by our bosses and the board of directors is very happy with the results, we are currently in the quality testing phase, I hope that soon Drupal can be launched in the production environment On a personal level, I see it as an option to do independent work, so I can obtain many benefits.

Pros

What I like most about Drupal is that it is free, you can make a complete implementation without investing money in software, we have chosen to implement only free software, so we have done it without cost, I like the possibility of being beyond the simple The content of the administrator has options for future developments, it is easy to install and its use is quite practical, I liked the fact that it has a nice and worked administration interface that makes it easier to explain to users how they perform their tasks. Daily within the application, the English-speaking community is numerous, which helps with some problems that may arise along the way. I think the system of blocks that has at the moment of structure the content within the page makes it relatively pleasant, we have taken a project to its final phase with Drupal I can say that we have done well.

Cons

The first thing that comes to my mind about what I do not like about Drupal is the cache system that has sometimes driven me crazy, it serves obsolete content and there are many conflicts when different users need to edit the same article, another problem is that there is failures in some buttons of the administration, sometimes the buttons do not perform any action, I had problems because sometimes the functionality of uploading an image or a pdf file fails when they are large, I think Drupal is designed for programmers and not for people without experience In the area of information technology, this could improve, the Spanish-speaking community has fallen short, it is difficult to find documentation and quality help in my mother tongue, I feel that Drupal is staying a bit behind in terms of extensions If there were more, it would be more attractive for more people.

William T.

I wants to marry Drupal

Reviewed on 2017/12/16

Pros

Being a developer its hard not to love Drupal -- with their recent update to Drupal 8 and moving to a Symfony2 backend and Twig templating system, its become bulletproof.

Also, Composer is now built in to manage dependencies.

The developer community is incredible and all modules are peer-reviewed by the community. This way you know the code you are getting is safe and sound unlike competitors...*cough*wordpress*cough*

Cons

The migration from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 may be hard for some developers to swallow. A lot has changed, but almost all for the better.

Drupal 8 modules are still a bit slow to be ported from Drupal 7.

Bridget N.

Drupal is a complex content management system and really shouldn't be used for simple brochure...

Reviewed on 2018/01/19

Pros

I like that there is a strong community support system of developers and programmers for this content management system. When looking for a module to use for whatever function you need, it's best to use that developer community and check out the reviews. The other thing to watch for is when it was last updated or modified. If it's a frequently updated or modified module, that should mean that people are using it and it is well maintained.

Cons

It is not blatantly apparent before you begin using this content management system that it is so super complex, that it's not a good product for simple brochure websites...

Ozlem P.

Pretty decent and more than a CMS

Reviewed on 2021/03/21

Drupal is a notable, free, and open-source content administration framework that is equipped towards complete site planning with its adaptability because of its core information base and PHP structure

Pros

The most effective element of Drupal is that the product is open source. In addition, its security is really high compared to other CMS. I like that Drupal proposes a variety of modules like video, participation, business.

Cons

Once you build the website, there is not much you can do to change the layout as it is fixed. It limits your creativity and can be frustrating. And it is a little bit harder to learn to use this software compared to other CMS. I wonder if they could make the admin panel more modern.

Bernard O.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Difficult but powerful CMS

Reviewed on 2019/12/23

Pros

I work with CMS Drupal almost every day. It's great that the toolbar can be changed to my own requirements. For example, remove an unnecessary tool and add the one that I often use.

Cons

CMS Drupal is definitely not for beginners. I have more than 5 years of experience working with sites, but it was still hard to figure out the first time. But if you have been developing websites for a long time and are looking for a good CMS, then Drupal will suit you.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A Mostly User-Friendly Web Editor Platform (Your Experience Will Vary)

Reviewed on 2021/03/04

Drupal has been a strong platform so far. We expect that our experience will continue to improve over time, so I can't wait to see where it takes us.

Pros

Our organization moved to Drupal for our website a year and a half ago. The initial reception of the website was so-so, but that has more to do with how our organization decided to set things up... The good news is that Drupal is, for the most part, a straight-forward, user-friendly platform. In my time building out content, I've found it to be pretty intuitive and easy to understand. I also understand that Drupal is an open-source platform, meaning that it will continue to develop and get better over time.

Cons

Some components of the webpage content can be tricky to move around, especially when shifting the order of content on a page. Site structure is also not always the most obvious, but that may also be the way our organization set things up. A lot has to do with how your tech team sets things up from the start.

Todd B.

Drupal more then just websites

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

I have been using drupal since drupal 6 where I helped manage qualcomm.com I still use drupal today but for a much more decoupled experience with a angular front end and rest powered backend. It has been great working with drupal and seeing it improve and where it is going.

Pros

Great community support, frequent updates.

Cons

Open issues in forums for community modules that are years and years old. Sometimes there is a very critical patch required that sites get hacked if they are not all up to date all the time.

Ellen T.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great but you get what you put it

Reviewed on 2019/06/20

Pros

I have used this software in two different companies. In one, we invested lots of time and money customising and designing our website. Drupal was great for that and it did everything we wanted. However, in the other company they have little budget and don't get the most out of it so really you need time and dedication to making it great.

Cons

The CMS is not always that easy to navigate.

Kevin W.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Incredibly flexible CMS

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

Pros

Drupal can power any number of websites, from extremely complicated to simple portfolios. It's very flexible and open source which means you can extend it almost infinitely.

Cons

Not a lot comes with core Drupal. You have to find and install modules to do even simple things like media handling or text editing (Drupal 7). The learning curve can be incredibly steep, especially if you're coming from a platform like Wordpress.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Can be complicated

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

I used Drupal at an electronic publication and found one version to be easier to use than the other two. The best version was seamless as far as entering text and data, while the other two versions (for lesser-known publications) required HTML coding within the text boxes. It felt very outdated to use. I’m not sure how much the company spent on the lesser version of Drupal, but it was a lot more time-consuming and, overall, resulted in a lot of lost productivity for me.

Pros

For the most updated version that I used, the data/text entry was very easy.

Cons

Some versions of the Drupal software I used required HTML coding within the text boxes, which I was not well-versed on. Considering how another version I used didn’t require this, it was very frustrating and felt unnecessary to do so much extra work for the same results.

• Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Custom Design Capabilities Combined With Ease Of Admin Use

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Pros

- Our development team and I worked together to create a brand differentiated website from all of our competitors (almost everyone in our industry uses a website provider)
- Absolutely a joy to use from the administrative side (whether that's landing page creation, navbar management, homepage management, webforms, etc.)

Cons

- Will have to rely heavily on our development team to build anything that isn't already part of the created platform
- Not AS intuitive and easy to use as WordPress (but the differentation more than makes for it)

Brad E.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Drupal is Great!

Reviewed on 2018/11/11

I had two weeks to build a website for a product launch. I immediately chose Drupal and I have not looked back since. I've been an adopter and evangelist for how great Drupal is and have used it for every web project since to include two business portals.

Pros

I love the ease of use from the user standpoint. Once the environment is setup by admins, using the backend functionality and keeping all of my website up-to-date and current has been easy. This is coming from a non-developer, so, one can imagine how happy I am to have this ease of use. It allows me to build websites that don't look cookie cutter and keeps my customers differentiated.

Cons

The only con is the amount of setup that needs to be done, which I cannot do myself.

Erin E.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

My favorite CMS

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

Pros

Once I got to know this CMS and how it works, I loved it! I'm not web developer and Drupal has given the power to create more dynamic and robust websites. I have only once ran into a problem that couldn't find the answer in Drupal extensive support forum! It's amazing how everyone helps each other out with CMS. I have not seen any other CMS that has such a robust community of developers and support in the forums.

Cons

It works very differently from other CMSes and is more difficult to get familiarized with than Wordpress. If you need a very simple website, I would recommend WordPress. But if you need a more feature rich website, Drupal is well worth the time investment to learn it.

Most Popular CMS Drupal

Reviewed on 2018/10/27

Its a Good product and I'm preferred to use any one but one thing make sure your app installed always upgraded version.

Pros

Drupal one of the most popular CMS and now running on number of website like- E-commerce, blogging, personal and government site.
you can also make a responsive website using drupal its a open source written in php .
Number of plugins Supported in drupal App.

Cons

Sometime complected to installation and also confusing when you install this app in pc.
Its a CMS so i think sometime security issue lake because all CMS need to update time to time new version if You not upgrade app then site security week.

• Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

DRUPAL DEPLOYMENT

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I have generated multiple content management systems with DRUPAL, it is a great ally for the developer because of its easy connection with thousands and thousands of plugins, it also allows the generation and creation of them from native php

Pros

It is easy to generate its deployment in production and testing environments

Cons

It is not a complaint but sometimes when making a modification the cache is not cleaned immediately and you should wait

Alisa M.

Not bad cross-platform CMS

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Pros

CMS Drupal is good because it is suitable for both simple and more complex projects. The administrative panel in this CMS is powerful and at the same time intuitive, if necessary you can create a multilingual project, and for those who want to save on the Internet, there are a lot of free templates and themes for the engine. In general, I am very pleased with this CMS and can recommend it to use.

Cons

If you encounter Drupal for the first time, training will take quite a lot of time. But in 3-5 days you will understand that even a serious web project is created and configured extremely easily.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great, flexible CMS

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

Pros

Good community with many developers and support. Some modules are easy to install. Q

Cons

What you get out of the platform depends upon your level (or budget) for developers, but this is to be expected.

Becca P.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

My team used Drupal when creating our new website.

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Pros

We were able to give everyone access to Drupal, and were able to add the correct admin levels. It make it easy for the content editors to add content, the reviewers to review, and then publish right away.

Cons

We ran into some bugs and issues when using Drupal that required us to reach out to get help. Without these issues we would have had a great experience overall.

Kevin W.

Great opensource framework for Website/CMS system - Drupal

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

our new website is switched over easily and better improved after lunching using new Drupal 8 framework.

Pros

1. Its module-based core design;
2. Its new YAML-based definitions/configurations system;
3. The technology stack is very simple and popular in the open source;
4. Dynamic contents-oriented CMS system that can be easily customized based on the requirements;
5. The multi-site function is easier and better considered in terms of setup and management;

Cons

some features seem a bit complex for beginners;
system management may need more tech skills;
the learning curve to develop for drupal may not as simple as for wordpress,etc.