Spiceworks

Server and website monitoring software

Jesica B.
  • Industry: Insurance

Spiceworks will answer all your questions

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

Spiceworks suggests free solutions so, it would be stupidмн not to recommend you this amazing software. It is an easy platform and, believe me, you won’t have any problem to use it. I should also mention that it well suits to small companies but larger companies should probably search for another solution.

Pros

There is one feature of Spiceworks which I appreciate the most. It gives you the opportunity to check your network and find out what devices are connected to it. This means that it provides a lot of information about those devices such as their IP addresses. Another advantage of this platform is that it is completely free. If we compare the quality of work of Spiceworks with other platforms, it will become obvious that this help desk can do freely more than other expensive platforms. I think it is hard to find a person who knows everything about his profession or field of work. From time to time everyone needs to look for some help or extra information. In these cases you should at least know where you can find the required information. People engaged with information technologies already know that Spiceworks is their best solution. You can find the answers to your questions in the forums or you can type your question and get feedback.

Cons

The first issue I should mention is the app itself. As for the mobile app, it is heavily text-based, it would be nice to see more graphics there. In addition, I would like to see one app which shows the community and the form together.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of commercial which can be annoying but on the other hand, it is understandable: the platform is free and it depends on ads to get some income.
I wish it could be easier to work with tickets and especially the deleting function.

• Industry: Government Administration

Spiceworks IT Helpdesk offers great value for money. Most outstanding is the support.

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

The software provides a complete inventory even if stretched over multiple locations and networks; a complete ticketing system, knowledge base system and many other tools that are of good quality to manage day to day incidences and requests.
The inventory scan provides great detail of networked devices and peripherals e.g. serials, make, model, status, warranty and many more.
Customisable views allow you to quickly focus on the details necessary to troubleshoot issues.

Pros

Community forum. Personally, I consider forums a waste of time since you normally have to look for ages and still never get the answer you need. Communities are based that "someone has experienced this problem before" and is willing to share in all detail what the problem (can be awkward) and share the solution as well.
On the Spiceworks community (cheers!), we have always found answers that you usually only find on paid communities (details, scripts etc). The software (FREE!) gives you a great overview, even if you are spread over multiple locations and/or multiple networks. A complete inventory and a ticketing system that are customisable and ready to integration software and scripts. What more do you want for free?

Cons

This is definitely not the worst but it takes a bit of getting used how Spiceworks operates. Like other platforms there is a learning curve. Some integration with other 3rd party software might not be straight forward but then there is the awesome community.

Demitri P.

Essential to my daily function

Reviewed on 2015/06/26

Pros

This is a free product, which in itself is impressive when you consider what you are being offered. In addition to a customizable ticketing system, you are given an inventory system, and a newly added network monitoring function which so far has been nothing short of impressive (Until now I have been using PRTG Monitor, which in itself is a wonderful tool, but not free.) The initial setup is very easy, and and Spiceworks as a service has very low hardware requirements, meaning you can run it on an older laptop fairly well.

The reporting function is a massive lifesaver, as it can help you generate a flexible list of everything from tickets (very flexible in what you want displayed, and how you want it sorted,) to your IT inventory (sorted by office location, purchase date, etc.) The ability to send these reports to our company's upper management to show hours spent on particular projects per month, or what assets need to be replaced due to original purchase date, is a very big plus.

The community portal itself is full of helpful people who are always willing to share their knowledge. On multiple occasions where I had to find a solution to a technical problem, I found people who were quickly able to pull more details from each instance, and provide a brief list of solutions in a fairly short amount of time. When you are backed against a wall, this can be a massive lifesaver.

Cons

Plugin compatibility. Some older plugins may no longer work well with newer version of the software, as well as some of the newest plugins requiring the latest update, but these are just minor nitpicks.

Sergey M.
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great HelpDesk / Inventory solution

Reviewed on 2018/07/04

Cost, up-to-date picture of the hardware inventory, logs, that can be used for internal audit purposes.

Pros

I used a free version of Spiceworks for several years. Installation of the application only takes few minutes. In just a few clicks you have a full robust system for ticketing and inventory. Another great perk is Spiceworks community, merely priceless resource where all the IT folks share their knowledge and can help you with random IT dramas. Great way to keep an eye on the hardware inventory. Getting it configured and working properly can be a challenge, but the results are well worth it. Not to mention great helpdesk ticketing functionality, that allows to put an order on how your service requests are processed on a daily basis.

Cons

I've only used a free version of the application. As I mentioned, one of the key reasons why I got it was for inventory purposes. Getting it work was a challenge. A lot of tweaking had to be done on the network to be able to query all of my PC and Mac workstations and servers. Nevertheless, the result was well worth it. Additionally, while the inventory is running, the system would be somewhat slow, but still managable. Great product! I highly recommend it to all IT admins out there.

Paul L.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Spiceworks - Full Featured IT Suite, Free

Reviewed on 2015/05/27

Pros

Spiceworks has an excellent product that is continuously evolving. The full featured suite give any IT professional the ability to use one module, several modules, or all the modules to meet their needs. New versions come out at least once a year with updates more frequently.

Part of the evolution has been to a hosted, cloud based solution as an option for IT professionals who don't want to pay to host the server in their own environment.

The product is and always will be free. The online forum boasts more than 2 million members with the employees actively involved in the social portal. The vendors that are part of the community are very helpful and many have a dedicated employee who actively monitors their portion of the forum, ready to help.

Finally, the company hosts a great convention every year in Austin Texas which is always very well attended.

Cons

Spiceworks moves the product forward, but sometimes they don't come back to the basics of what makes the software great. Adding new features can be a plus, but enhancing old features is very important as well.

Valerio P.

Everything you need to just open and close tickets

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

Our company provides IT support to several customers. Specifically we have installed Spicework to handle the tickets of one of our customers. The organization of our client has approximately 50 users.

Spicework has worked without any problems so far. We went from receiving requests via phone or email to having a system to organize the tickets, status and expiration dates.

Pros

This is a simple software that will allow you to manage the opening and closing of tickets for your organization.

You can keep track of open tickets, assign them and make comments.

All changes in a ticket automatically generate an email to those involved in them.

It also detects on the network new computers, software changes, even can send alerts when there is little tonner in some printer or when there is little disk space on some computer in the network. This can be of great help to an organization's IT teams

Cons

It can be difficult to install and configure and help is not always immediate. Apart from this it can be a simple tool for the end user.

Matthew C.

Fantastic IT Help Desk Solution

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

It has been a good way to track tickets and gives us the basic information as to how many tickets we are closing per week

Pros

Myself and my team have been using Spiceworks for the last 2 years now as our Help Desk Ticketing software solution. We have now also recently changed over to their cloud version of this software which incredibly is also free and still have zero issues with the software. To date, it has never let us down. Spiceworks software delivers all the functionality we need out of a Help Desk Solution and is still running strong for us. We manage over a 500 tickets daily through this software and have never found to have had any technical issues with it.

Cons

I do however have only one small issue and that is I wish it had better sorting of submitted tickets and improved search capabilities. Otherwise this software is amazing and only look forward to any future updates they may have for us.

Pauline K.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Useful but Decided Not to Keep Using it (used cloud version)

Reviewed on 2016/12/20

I used the cloud-based version of Spiceworks for our tech support team as our ticketing system. It was a way to keep track of all the inquiries, a way to divide tasks, keep track of how quickly these tasks were getting done and what topics are being worked on the most. Spiceworks is very easy to get off the ground, very easy to use. I liked the categories, having its own portal, & email address. I used it with my google group so anyone who emailed our specific email would then get forwarded to Spiceworks and from there it would automatically generate a ticket. I found it great to take a quick look to see productivity and efficiency of the team. It's a centralized location and prevents topics/emails from being forgotten.

Pros

Easy to use. Reporting feature is cool to see what response time is, can export a report to CSV. Nice for supervisors to see what is being worked on. It splits up the responsibility of the tasks and we know who is responsible.

Cons

Any yahoo.com emails would not get the creator labeled properly so if we were to respond to that ticket, it wouldn't go to the actual creator. Staff found it cumbersome and difficult to read the small font and to follow the thread.

Nikki T.
  • Industry: Printing

Lots of features for a help desk ticket system

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

I use Spiceworks IT Help Desk at work as a ticket system. It creates an individual ticket for each customer when they have an issue, and organises all the communications with this user with this individual ticket system number. It has really made us more efficient as rather than having to reply individually and try to keep track of emails with a customer, it is all stored within one system.

Pros

I like that Spiceworks IT Help Desk lets me work with customers through a ticket system, so I can stay organised versus answering and tracking individual emails. It also gives a notification when there is a new ticket or a message that has been waiting over 24 hours.

Cons

It is a little difficult to use and figure out the menus of the helpdesk system, and also every page seems to have to reload and does not work very quickly.

Bryan W.
  • Industry: Accounting

Spiceworks Just Works

Reviewed on 2019/11/15

Easy to use from all sides. Technicians are able to determine and prioritize all issues and users have a one stop shop for help.

Pros

Pretty much everything. It is so comprehensive and makes everything I do easier. From manging my inventory to generating reports, to monitoring every system I have down to the postage machine, it's an incredible product, and oh, it's free! Mission critical software I couldn't possibly live without.

Cons

Splitting hairs, but if I had to say something negative, it would be that getting it to report properly on your inventory take a bit too figure out. But one your do, it's seamless and intuitive.

Aaron V.

Great for Small Teams & Budgets; Lacks Reporting Features

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

For the price of free, this is a great Help Desk solution, especially for small staff. It can be a bit slow at times on the cloud-hosted solution. It also doesn't have much for options when it comes to Reporting functions, but it does all the necessities well. The Tickets dashboard is easy to understand, and they have a large community of helpful/knowledgable professionals that have helped me figure out tough issues more than once.

Pros

I really like that it's free, especially because the team I support is drastically smaller than it used to be, and we don't need near the features we had in the past. The Ticket dashboard is easy to understand, and I like that I can easily create new Ticket Views. I also enjoy the amount of support the community aspect brings to the table. The Knowledge Base allows techs to create articles for their users, and it provides the ability for techs to look at articles of other techs outside of their company in order to draw on their expertise. I also really enjoy that I'm able to restrict what domains I can receive tickets from in order to prevent spam/junk.

Cons

It's kind of expected with a free product, but the Reporting feature is pretty bare bones. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of options for configuring custom reports, and the available options are very limited. Every once in a while, the cloud-hosted solution is a bit slow. Other than that, I haven't experienced any issues.

Manny P.

Excellent Network Monitor

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

I would recommend this software to all Network Administrator looking to keep expenses down and to keep an eye on your network. Great for small network monitoring.

Pros

I have used this software several times and it's amazing on how easily it can save you a lot of money. Spiceworks community is amazing in helping you out resolve your everyday problems. I highly recommend before you waste your money on other server monitoring software.

Cons

You need to keep on top of the errors and do backups so that everything works smoothly but besides that, if all goes bad. Just do a system restore and your backup in no time.

Matt P.

A great free help desk package

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

We've been using Spiceworks for our help desk for several years now. It's great for our small IT department by helping us track issues and assign them to the appropriate tech. When our users have an issue, they send an email to the help desk address. Spiceworks then picks up the messages and creates a ticket. We were able to customize the ticket templates to our liking as well. It's really handy and you can't beat the price!

Pros

You can't beat the price! The web interface and phone apps are pretty decent too.

Cons

It doesn't offer as many features as some of the paid help desk offerings and occasionally the ads are distracting.

Jillian R.

Love this Software for IT!~

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

IT support ticket system. Streamlined our networking of large amount of PC's.

Pros

What do I like Most?? It's EASY! Easy to integrate, easy to use, easy for our not so "Tech-Savvy" employees! If you're not sure about it, try it! They're so sure of their software they offer it for free! If you know of anything better, please let me know, because it has to be amazing :)

Cons

There isn't too much to say in the way of "Cons" that I've come across. All of the people I've worked with currently and in the past Love it and use it often! Honestly can't think of anything negative..!

Joseph B.
  • Industry: Wholesale

This is a very comprehensive help-desk software, works great for our company.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

we can handle user requests much more quickly and effectively, and gives them the peace of mind that their issue/request is being handled and will not be forgotten. this helps with inter-team communication and trust between departments.

Pros

Helps centralize ticketing and other requests, instead of emails, which can be lost or read and forgotten easily. easy to use and helps keep everyone updated about their ticket status.

Cons

Lacks a few features, namely the complete customization of some of the portal ticket fields that would be nice to have. We have adapted it to work, but slightly less than ideal.

Andre B.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

4 years of happines

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

The benefits that system brought to us is for sure our best experience with the system.

Pros

We moved to spiceworks about 4 year ago. What we most like is how the helpdesk and the network monitoring is helping our daily tasks. We can easily check the computer in our network, find the apps installed and let customers to enter their tickets synced with they machine. This reduces a lot our effort to give our customers a good quality of support

Cons

We are using the free version and the ads are really the problem, but we can leave with it.

• Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

very good help desk ticketing system

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Very positive overall experience with this software - we tried this in one of our smaller acquisitions that did not have a formal ticketing system to resolve issues (especially HR and IT).

Pros

It is an open source, cloud based easy to use and intuitive ticketing system especially if one is looking to get started quickly for a smaller user user environment. It has a very good user community that provides help in case we need help on getting started and daily use of the system.

Cons

The one issue that we faced was not getting a complete, accurate picture of the inventory on the network when we used the in built feature to scan the inventory of assets on the network - we were able to resolve this with community help.

Dan J.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great for a small IT shop

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Spiceworks has been a huge help for our company being an SMB with 3 IT support workers. We didn't need anything big with lots of bells and whistles. If you just need something simple to track tickets, this does a great job. There are ways to get it to do more and include more add ons, but it's not as simple as a larger tool that has many of those features out of the box.

Pros

Free; Easy to set up and use due to minimal features; Very easy customer dashboard set up; Good communication abilities

Cons

Minimal out of the box features means it's quick to set up and use, but it takes more effort to customize.

Patrick E.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Fully featured and completely free!

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

A more organized approach to helping our users. Every IT person can keep track of open issues and document resolutions.

Pros

- Free
- Easy to use for both the IT staff and end users
- Great customizable reports
- Supports plugins and extensions
- 12000 tickets and counting!

Cons

Not much honestly. The software is free because it's ad supported, however this is one of the few platforms where the ads are not intrusive and can be quite useful. Spiceworks vettes their sponsors, so you know you're supporting the product.

Eric K.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Spiceworks fits the bill!

Reviewed on 2015/05/29

Pros

Spiceworks is a HIGHLY competitive inventory management and helpdesk software (vendor). The community is invaluable as a point-of-contact for anything and everything IT-related. Many Google searches for support topics even bring back Spiceworks community discussions as the top 1, 2, or even 3 results. Spiceworks has built a product that is ad-supported and community-driven. I absolutely love Spiceworks!

Cons

My only real complaint is the ads, which can be removed by purchasing the premium product. Of course, the product is ad-driven so there's really no cause for complaint.

Paul N.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Best Help Desk Software for the money!

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

LOVE Spiceworks. Been using it for about 9 years and have looked at several other systems and we have decided this is the best fit for us.

Pros

Feature Set is amazing - there are plugins to do things if you want to do more than is built in but the built in is plent for us.
Price is right (free) and it works amazingly well!

Cons

Inventory module is confusing and there is no way to keep it as updated as I would like. It has lots of old data that is hard to get out of the way.

James L.
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Spiceworks has been a great help

Reviewed on 2017/08/09

Great for medium and small businesses. The resources available through Spiceworks makes it well worth the cost of admission.

Pros

From the download to the end of the install, Spiceworks is very easy to set up.
It is easy to mange, you don't need a network admin.
It is easy to use, you don't have to be in IT.

Cons

While Spiceworks is very easy to use it is not designed for a large businesses.
Some patches force you to reset views (No big deal)

Tyler T.
  • Industry: Entertainment

I use Spiceworks every day, and it keeps track of what is going on in our network

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

I learned how to install and configure software using Spiceworks. From there, I can now keep an eye on my network anywhere I am (as long as I have my phone).

Pros

The price of course would be the first thing I like, but this software is very feature- regardless of the price.

I use this on our home network, it monitors my desktop (gaming PC), two laptops, 4 tablets, a smartv, and a bitcoin mining rig. I can monitor everything on my phone because it automatically sends emails if there are any issues.

Cons

It is very hard to learn. My dad is a SysAdmin, and he MADE me learn to set up Spiceworks and use it, and I am thankful he did because it got me interested in Networking and taught me to configure software to meet my needs.

Ian A.

Superb product

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

If you are looking for an all-round software package with a decent helpdesk system, inventory management, numerous IT tools and a great community on a limited budget, Spiceworks should be your first stop. While there may be other packages that work better on individual sections, you are unlikely to find another complete solution for so little.

Pros

Excellent set of features
Amazing community

Cons

Can sometimes be a little slow
Ad-supported

Priyanka S.

Good software for IT helpdesk

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

Pros

One place for all IT requests. Customize to meet your needs. Not many Pros except that its free and once its set up its easy as most others like it to use.

Cons

The only thing I dislike is that spiceworks only supports Windows Servers. I hope in the future they start supporting Mac OSX. Spiceworks is that it takes a very long time to do a scan, and I mean SEVERAL hours.