WhatsUp Gold

All-in-one monitoring of your entire infrastructure.

Dustin R.

WhatsUpGold is a great tool for monitoring the status of your network.

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

We mainly benefit from the alerts system that will notify all specified employees via text/email whenever a part of our network goes down. Typically we will know something is down before our users even notice the problem.

Pros

The alerts are where WhatsUpGold really shines. They are all fully customizable and once they're setup to your specifications they work like a dream. A majority of the time we will know when something on the network goes down before our users even notice the problem!

Cons

This product can do so many different things it becomes a little overwhelming. Once alerts are setup they work great, but the configuration process can get pretty confusing if you haven't done it before. Online training videos on how to configure certain features would be a great tool.

Response from Ipswitch

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it.

Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here:

If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Jim D.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

WhatsUp Gold

Reviewed on 2020/10/27

We use Whatsup Gold to proactively tell us when something is wrong before users start complaining. It has served us well in this capacity
We use WUG thresholds and netflow data to determine when business (and non-business) processes are interfering with user performance at our branches with limited network capacity. We use the netflow data and work with the branch to have the offending processes eliminated or moved to afterhours when there is no user impact.
We use thresholds and dashboard graphs to provide capacity planning information.
Overall WhatsUp Gold has been a mixed bag for us. There have been failed upgrades and bugs that cost us time. Page rendering is adequate at best and frustrating at its worst. But is has provided the monitoring alerting, and capacity planning that we need to stay ahead.

Pros

The ease of adding a device, and getting monitors configured with alerts is what like best. To go from no monitoring to getting a text/email when something goes wrong is relatively easy with this product.

The ease of putting specific graph items on a page (dashboard) is also very useful.

Cons

The biggest problem with this product is the performance/capacity of the product to generate graphs. Using java to fetch data from the database to paint pages is slow. I can collect 500,000 data items and generate 100,000 graphs without much horsepower with a tool like CACTI which uses php and flat text rrd files to paint the graph. I can put ten times as many graphs on a page and it still paints 10 times faster. This performance limitation is the biggest week point between your products and the competition. I maintain a CACTI server to do the heavy lifting for graphing high density interface switches in the data centers because WUG is too slow.

The thing that I like least about the software is the inability of the administrator to manage other users views. and the lack of an anonymous view. You want to be able to give upper management a link to click on to see pretty graphs and charts. They do not want to have to log in. And you do not want them messing up the view so it constantly has to be fixed. Logging in as admin, changing the users rights, logging out,logging in as the user, changing the dashboard, logging out, logging in as the admin and setting the rights back, is a lousy way to have to manage this.

Steve B.
  • Industry: Banking

Provides Well Rounded View

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

We are currently enjoying the benefits of using WUG.

Pros

Scanning ping-able assets to monitor for status, uptime, performance is extremely helpful to the IT team and allows us to be proactive instead of reactive.

Cons

I would like to see or learn how I can more easily configure multiple assets with performance, active, and passive monitors.

Ray P.

WUG CRA Experience

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

Alerting and allowing us to be proactive on issues is main focus and WUG has allowed my team to accomplish that goal. Reporting/automating reports and providing different practices within CRA the option of personalized dashboards to gauge performance has been a favorite offering from IT to our end users.

Pros

Goes without saying that it is easy to implement, intuitive and easy to manage. Dashboards and views are ++++

Cons

been using WUG for over 10years and have brought in to 3 different companies i've worked for---to date, i haven't found anything I dislike.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Tom V.

Legacy WUG user

Reviewed on 2020/10/22

We are proactively monitoring network, server and application infrastructure in a way that allows for pro-active maintenance and reporting. It allows us to view and manage IT assets easily, I only wish I had more time to utilize more of it's features.

Pros

It provides a nice visual representation of the health of your IT infrastructure environment and allows for the easy drilling down into details that are needed. It is full of features and information and allows for proactive monitoring.

Cons

Nothing specifically at this time.

Paul B.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

I have had nothing but outstanding experience with IPswitch and it's staff.

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

Our Network and VM monitoring has improved by 200%

Pros

First is its reliability. I have matched it against other products such as CACTI and more accurate in the numbers game. Also, its flexibility when it comes to even exporting and importing of databases to new versions of WUG. Another aspect I like is how there is always constant improvement with the product. The versions never stay static. Always moving forward. I have in recent made of suggestion and IPSwitch said they would investigate it and possibly have it in a beta release.

Cons

This is a most difficult question to answer. If I had to come up with anything ... It is that they are under staffed. Every single employee on tech side, sales, marketing must be working 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Answers are always 100 percent correct but the same staff answers your questions. Those employee s need help. Hire !!!

Chad O.

WhatsUp Gold is great to alert on all types of devices

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Benefit of proactively maintaining the full network

Pros

It allows me to monitor all of the network remotely. I'm able to monitor switches, websites, computers, temperature, etc. I just need to only look at my email to be able to see down statuses of devices

Cons

Taking the time to research how to configure monitoring takes up a lot of my time. Wish there were more instructional videos.

Springman L.

Visibility is the key

Reviewed on 2020/09/30

Setting up took a bit time but once it's up and running, pretty much worry free. LOVE IT.

Pros

I have been using WhatsUp Gold since 2007 while the main purpose at the time is to see "what is up and what is down". Over the course of the past 13 year as a WUG user, the focus, to me, is switching to have the visibility of our entire network. How is our Internet bandwidth usage? How is the CPU/memory consumption on the application server, etc. I can't imagine how I can do troubleshooting without WUG.

Cons

The VoIP and Wireless module they offer do not work with what we have. That's probably the only down side that I wish everything can be included in one tool.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Bernie K.

I use it everyday for the past 15 years. Earlier versions were a bit easier to understand.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Pros

I like the graphics. The graphs are great. The product does a lot. It is familiar to me as I've used WUG since 1998

Cons

The product is complex to setup. I need direction/training on all that it can do as it is no longer obvious.

Dave F.

Great for keeping track of complicated systems

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

I've worked in many offices and data centers that use this, and it seems to be the standard. So it's refreshing to walk into a new work-space and already be comfortable using WhatsUp. It's one of the more widespread used software packages (probably for a good reason!)

Pros

I had used other monitoring software before but none were as easy to use and reliable as WhatsUp Gold. The visual representation of your system is the most valuable because it makes everything so much easier to explain over the phone to people. You can have custom settings, alarms, triggers, etc that can all notify the right people. It makes it so much easier to keep things going and have the proper users/admins involved. The way it keeps everything organized is very useful and saves a lot of time with guess-work.

Cons

WhatsUp can be a little on the sensitive side, which I supposed can be a plus for some important machines - but annoying for others. I've had a few times where there were false triggers or errors that weren't a big deal. But from the customer point of view, I'd view this as a gain. It's always good to be ultra aware of whats happening on your network, especially if it's your job!

Response from Ipswitch

Thank you Dave for the review and for being a customer.

Kay F.
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great for monitoring network equipment

Reviewed on 2018/04/03

Provides great monitoring for network issues and machines connected to the network

Pros

The ability to monitor critical machines and connections to observer performance, switching, and other issues. We use email alerts which reach the IT team via email which we can get at our desk or on our mobile phone cuts down on the response time to resolve any issues. The backup configurations and archiving in WhatsUp performs very well. the application is used for both Cisco routers and switches.

Cons

Web interface functionality could be improved and will need to get additional training to fully utilize all the features available in What's Up for maximum usage.

Daniel W.
  • Industry: Machinery
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Development is a little slow, but breadth of functionality is decent

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

Overall, there are better solutions dedicated to networking, and solutions dedicated to

Pros

Discovery of devices works really well. The ability to create custom SNMP, WMI, and Powershell monitors is also very valuable.

Cons

The frequency of supported monitors being built and added to the solution is quite slow. For example, Unifi support has been discussed for multiple years, but is still not available.

Perry D.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

We have been using Whats Up Gold for 17 years and love it!

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

We live in a very mobile world! I can travel anywhere and get text messages whenever something fails! I am always the first to know when something is down!

Pros

I have worked with many other platforms and the setup and configuration takes many weeks to perform. What's Up Gold can be set up in a day! It is extremely easy to work with. We monitor over 200 switches on our network. The notifications we get are very reliable!

Cons

Loved look and feel of Version 16.5. We are staying on that for awhile. The newer versions are much different and I am not ready to change.... my problem.

Michael W.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

What's Up Gold

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

i really love the bandwidth utilization information on our network equipment and that also goes for our wifi network.

Pros

We mainly use WUG for SNMP monitoring of our network. This tool is quite useful for our operations team to use off hours. We have WUG setup to page the network team and/or our operations team can page when devices are down.

Cons

I would say my network map but I haven't spent a lot of time organizing it.

Kevin G.
  • Industry: Utilities
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

We have used what’s up for over a decade

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

We have tried other event notification softwares but for how familiar we are with wug and we’ll it works we will always trust it over anything else in our most sensitive networks.

Pros

What I like most is while there are many features that can be implemented the option to easily setup a ping monitor on a large part of the network quickly is easy.

Cons

Since being a long time customer we really miss the admin console.

Thomas J.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Enterprise Monitoring with WUG

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

Working with WhatsUp Gold has been wonderful. The few times that I had to reach out to WhatsUp Gold support, I was connected to a knowledgeable person who helped get the issue resolved in a timely manner.

Pros

WUG provides a easy way to scan your environment and from there select which devices you want to monitor. Once the device is monitoring, you can setup notifications. This has allowed us to be proactive about potential issues.

Cons

The re-scan feature is what I like least. Mostly because I haven't taken the time to fully understand what it does.

Nicholas Z.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great When Configured Correctly

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

It has been great with little configuration. Though with a lot of configuration its is perfect.

Pros

Once the product was implemented correctly using professional services, It allowed us to know of issues before they became a crisis.

Cons

The learning curve is a bit steep. It took time to set up alerting.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Diana W.

For Monitoring my environment, I like knowing What's Up

Reviewed on 2015/09/17

When you have a lot of servers and a lot of websites and your college administrators are demanding that they be up 95% of the time or better, you need a good monitoring tool. What's Up Gold is the best tool I've found out there, bar none.

Pros

It is completely customizable. Even the landing page can be customized to display your environment in the way that you want to see it. Alerts can be taken from the library and/or customized for your needs. A graphic display of your environment with color-coded conditions is useful for a quick visual look at your environment, and I have it running on one of my system monitors all the time. Email alerts, text messages - all customizable.

Cons

Like any large-scale program, it can be difficult to learn and I recommend attending training to get the most out of the product, which is an additional cost. And the product isn't cheap to begin with. Just looking at the initial screens can be very intimidating.

Peter K.

WUG Just works

Reviewed on 2020/08/11

Positive, I came into WUG when I took over this job and learned it quickly.

Pros

Great notifications, timely. The interface is easy to navigate even when you are a new user.

Cons

Not much to dislike. It works well for our organization.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Scott B.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Web interface needs a lot of work. Back-end works wonderfully.

Reviewed on 2018/05/19

When services fail, or if a machine crashes, we're notified quickly

Pros

Quick and easy scan/interface loads. Makes life easy when you're trying to maintain 500+ virtual machines.

Cons

The web interface is pure garbage. It needs a LOT of work; especially since everything is now required for using the software

John V.

Solid Product

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

I've been using WhatsUp Gold for over 10 years. The product has become more robust and complete. It can give you a single pane of glass view of your network and server farm.

Pros

The Initial deployment is very easy to run.

Cons

Can be hard to configure if you want to get granular

Iulian R.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

WhatsUp Survey

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

We are using the product for more than 15 years and we are happy with it

Pros

We are using mostly the alerting feature. Easy to use and very easy to set up

Cons

The network map feature still needs some work to a better product

Michael E.

What's UP

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

Pros

I can get an overall view of my infrastructure. Then drill down where necessary.

Cons

Not being able to filter what devices are collected in an IP scan.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Michael L.

WhatsUp Gold Review

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

Pros

This product is easy to use. The Web Interface is clear and informative.

Cons

There wasn't much that I didn't like about the product.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Peter S.

Good stuff

Great

Pros

Ease of use and implementation was q
Quick.

Cons

Additional vendor specific features could be added.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.