PayPal

4,7 (25 011)
Comprehensive solution to serve your business needs.

(25 011)

Jake
Jake

A User-Friendly Invoicing System and Accounting System

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Great so far. I don't see us switching to any other invoicing platform anytime soon.

Pros

The thing that led us over to PayPal was how easily integrated it was with other platforms as well as how familiar everyone already is with it. The pricing is competitive per transaction and it easily allows for international invoicing and payment. It also made it really easy for our accountant to understand the layout of it.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like at first was that I typically associate PayPal with a cash app between non-professional relationships. After seeing their invoicing system, I was immediately impressed.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing PayPal

We made the switch because more people were familiar with PayPal and it made sense to do so. Plus, we weren't sure how simple it was to invoice and collect payment from international clients. With PayPal, we knew how easy it would be.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

It came down to pricing and functionality. PayPal offered the same features without the monthly fees.
Suzan
Suzan
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Paypal Business Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

Overall, I've been a customer of paypal for over 10 years. I like their invoicing system, and how it tracks everything for you. It gives ease of access when you go into Paypal and you need to search for and track payment or invoice records. That's awesome. I am not a fan of the customer service that paypal has. Each time I call for help to try to fix an issue I'm having, I end up getting off the call more confused. They need to train their rep's better. I've had instances where I've had to call about the same issue multiple times, and each time I called about the exact same issue, I have been given different explanations, and also been told to do different things to 'correct' the issues, and 9 times out of 10, the issue isn't resolved. If you call with a simple issue, the rep's seem to be able to help ok though.

Pros

I like a couple things about Paypal. I mostly like the mobile app that they offer, because it gives you ease of access when your on the go. I also like that Paypal has started integrating new partnerships like Venmo. I really like how easy and instantly you're able to transfer paypal funds into your bank account.

Cons

With the new partnership/integrated apps that they have, like Venmo, and Greendot, they aren't a two-way street. For instance, you can't transfer money from Venmo over to paypal, or at least I tried, and it was extremely confusing how they have everything set up.

Invoice Simple and Venmo

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

I am very comfortable with how paypals system works, and I've been using it for years. It's been the most consistent of all of the other systems I've used. Also, again, as mentioned, I like the mobile app that they have the best. It keeps me in control in an instant when I need to check my balances, check invoices and track transactions.
Kousay
  • Industry: Accounting

Service not good any more

Reviewed on 2024/01/15

Pros

They limited my account for no reason. Tried calling them two times to ask for the reason, they said they'll investigate and send me an email within 3 days. It's has been over a month and I still have not received a response from them.

Cons

I have been a paypal user for a long time. I thought of it as being secure and safe. My opinion has totally changed jow after they blocked and limited my account and froze my money.

chaloem
  • Industry: Banking

PayPal online

Reviewed on 2023/12/03

Pros

Get the desired payment, in reality it will be better.

Cons

splendor Errors in use in various activities

Krystin
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

PayPal is priceless! Efficient & simple. Must have for Small businesses!

Reviewed on 2023/08/23

I’ve honestly have had an incredible, simple, effective experience with PayPal. I was lost when it came to tech but I knew I had a good experience with PayPal as a user so I immediately got it for my business and I was soo relieved it was easy/simple to use! It’s helped me take my small business to the next level! It’s safe, I never worry about my data or my clients data, fraud or anything. I’ve easily integrated PayPal into my other systems, like calendly and my website. Invoices look so professional and are so organized, which helps with tax season! It’s not expensive, it is fair pricing, unlike other systems I looked at. PayPal is always innovative and upgrading so I know my business can grow with the trends, even be ahead of the trends. As my business grows larger, PayPal has all the tools I need to assist it’s growth. PayPal is priceless! I feel like PayPal just gets me and my small business.

Pros

The ease of use attracted me most. I’m not tech savvy at all but I was able to quickly figure my business PayPal. I can integrate it into my other software and that’s been extremely helpful. Having PayPal has made things so much easier for me, I never have to worry about payments, security, etc., because PayPal is on top of it all. The fact that it’s easy to use makes it priceless!

Cons

There’s not much I don’t like about PayPal, The only thing I wish they had was scheduling so I didn’t have to have calendly.

Square Payments, Cash App, Stripe and Affirm

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

The ease of use, cost, and integration capabilities are the main reasons I chose PayPal over other’s. As a user, I was familiar with PayPal, I never had any issues and I trusted PayPal so I chose them over other companies. I’m not tech savvy but I knew PayPal was very simple to use and that was my biggest reason. The price of PayPal, it’s security, technology and innovations were other big reasons. PayPal is a leader in the industry, I trust them for good reason. They just get me and my small business. Other companies seemed to be “followers” in the industry and didn’t have the same capabilities and trust as PayPal. You have to go with a trustworthy company, and that’s PayPal!
Lily

Small Business MUST

Reviewed on 2023/08/16

Smooth sailing and effortlessly symbiotic. PayPal is an incredible platform.

Smooth sailing and effortlessly symbiotic. PayPal is an incredible platform.

Pros

PayPal makes accepting payments online automatic for small businesses. Without it, I would be stuck dealing in cash--and who uses cash nowadays? To have a functioning business in the 21st century is practically synonymous with using PayPal.

Cons

The only pitfall is that the system could use an aesthetic update, which is a very minor flaw and quite possibly just personal preference.

Mindbody

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Way more cost-effective with the same functions needed and more reliable.
Mike
  • Industry: Entertainment

Paypal is a great platform for buying and selling.

Reviewed on 2023/08/14

I have been using Paypal for years as both a buyer and a seller. Starting back in the day with Ebay and now from many of my own ecommerce stores.

Pros

I love the fast processing of payments and the user friendly platform. Love how so many places do accept it as payment and many seller stores offer it.

Cons

Fees can be annoying so that's the biggest con as a seller. Certain places still do not use it and that is also a downside.

Square Payments and Venmo

Reasons for Choosing PayPal

Paypal is just more user friendly and serves my needs.

Cash App, Stripe, Google Pay and Amazon Pay

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

I was just more knowledgeable about Paypal and it was easy to learn.
Setareh
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Paypal is a secure and convenient way to handle online transactions

Reviewed on 2023/04/29

Overall, I am satisfied with PayPal and I will keep using it for online payments, sending, and receiving money. PayPal is one of the most trusted payment platforms for individuals and businesses worldwide, with a robust set of features.

Pros

I use PayPal a lot. I use it to send money to a friend or family. I also use it to send money to a bank, or do online shopping. One of the benefits of using PayPal is that it can be linked to multiple sources of funds, such as a bank account or credit card. This makes it easy to manage finances and keep track of transactions in one place.Paypal is very safe and secure; it offers buyer and seller protection, which can give peace of mind when making purchases. The platform also provides a dispute resolution process in case of any issues. The last thing to mention is that PayPal payments are usually processed quickly, and the account balance is updated almost instantly. I recommend using PayPal to everyone who needs to handle online transactions and ecommerce securely. It is also free and user-friendly.

Cons

PayPal is very powerful and useful application; I do not have many dislikes. The only cons I can mention is that PayPal charges fees for various transactions, including receiving money, transferring between accounts, and withdrawing funds. It would be great if these charges could have been removed.

Shamika
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

PayPal is Great for my Small Business!

Reviewed on 2023/08/19

I’ve enjoyed PayPal these last few years and my customers find the invoice feature convenient, professional and easy to use. PayPal pays instantly with the invoice feature and gives instant notifications for payments.

Pros

Most of my customers pay online through the invoicing feature with the debit/credit card option. This is convenient for them and I receive the payment instantly! I also have the card reader through Zettle which also deposits the payment into my PayPal but I usually get the payment the next day. The invoicing feature with PayPal is the quickest way to receive payment and it’s free to use!

Cons

PayPal charges fees, but it’s still the least expensive of all the companies I’ve used.

Michele
  • Industry: Legal Services

Tried and True Business Partner

Reviewed on 2023/04/28

I have used Paypal for many years. First as a consumer, then as a small business. It has been invaluable to my small e-commerce business. They are always adding new features to help the small business owner that I now find extremely helpful.

Pros

I appreciate the fact that PayPal is globally accepted as I do business with contractors in different countries. I 100% appreciate the payment protection option and the convenience of having Paypal accepted and trusted by so many. It has very user-friendly and seems to be able to be integrated with many other platforms

Cons

Some of the cons are the fees. Also, the length of time one has to wait for a dispute to be settled with a non-paying vendor or retail service.

Stripe Billing

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Familiarity and reputation. Plus, I have had a lot more positive experience with Paypal.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Paypal makes online business easy

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Paypal has made it easy for me to conduct business online with people from all over the world. The transactions fees (if any, depending on transaction) are reasonable and worth the services provided. Having a debit card attached to the business account makes it even easier to shop anywhere and have full access to my funds when and where I need them. It is also extremely convenient that paying with Paypal has become a widely accepted form of payment at many retailers skipping the need for a plastic card in some cases.

Pros

Paypal is extremely easy to use and gives you step-by-step instructions on how to set up and get the most out of your account. They also have helpful add-ons for business owners, an easy invoice and payment set up and easy to read account information. Paypal also provides suggestions for other software you may find helpful and offers business tools that make it easy for anyone to use the service as a payment option for any type of non-adult entertainment related business.

Cons

In order to have a verified account, it must be connected to an actual bank account from another financial institution. If your account is not "Verified" there are limitations in place.

Venmo

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Paypal is more widely recognized, had more business related services and helpful tips, and was easier to understand how it works.
Kristen
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

PayPal is trusted and recognized - Very Useful!

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

PayPal makes it easy and secure to send and receive payments. The sign-up process is simple and secure. It is easy to add an account. PayPal has a clean, easy-to-navigate interface that puts everything right in front of you. You can find your account balance or what you're looking for right away. You can send payment requests to friends or clients, or send money to others from your bank account. Many online retailers accept PayPal, allowing you to pay online securely.

Pros

PayPal is one of the most well-known, trusted, and recognized brands when it comes to e-commerce and online financial transactions. Because of it's recognition, it's a name people trust. Offering PayPal as a method of pay to prospective clients or buyers is an easy way to allow people to spend their money with you. Using PayPal as a customer gives you a feeling of security that less recognizable brands don't offer.

Cons

Customer support for PayPal is not as robust as one would hope for a company dealing with financial transactions. Additionally, PayPal is one of the many online companies that struggle to find a balance in mediating disputes between buyers and sellers of online products and services. This sometimes results in legitimate gripes about PayPal making it too easy for scammers to get money out of honest online retailers. This problem is not unique to PayPal and it will take the whole internet and legal communities to solve.

Venmo

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

PayPal has been around forever. I already have an established account and I am very satisfied with it.
Andrew
Andrew
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

PayPal cuz ya gotta...

Reviewed on 2020/02/29

PayPal is always going to be a mover-and-shaker in the internet finance sector and if you're just sending money to your friends and family or stacking a few bucks to pay for stuff online PayPal is a good option. For me doing business with PayPal has been easy but If you're a medium-to-large sized company maybe you should look for a business account elsewhere.

Pros

PayPal is one of those things ya almost gotta have. All these new digital credit cards coming out that mask your numbers is old newus as far as PayPal is concerned. They pioneered not only digital currency but gave us a format on how-to buy things online. These new marketplaces (letgos, offerups, Facebook marketplace) really owe PayPal a debt of gratitude of for making us comfortable to purchase online. In addition to the privacy PayPal offers they also make it easy for you to send and receive money especially to your friends and they don't charge you anything. You can get a free cash card which is cool and you can also use card to accept payment for your small business.

Cons

PayPal does require a lot of background if you were to open up an account and get a cash card. They do close people down for practically nothing and they will freeze assets for an undetermined amount of time if anything is questioned. Also there so in bed with eBay that if eBay doesn't like something about you or your account they can freeze assets as well. They have a pretty weak offers category where you can get some discounts but they're not all that great and neither is there discount on shipping. And why don't they have their own check cashing division being so big, why use Ingo?

Jayson
Jayson
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

the in and outs of paypal

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

The overall money saved and speed if PayPal's services are a more then welcome addition to any buisness . With so many solutions for sending and receiving money for goods and services PayPal is an overall very cleverly designed software and would recommend it to anybody.

Pros

the ability to make customizable invoices for pretty much anything is an amazing feature. yiu are ability set payment dates and reminders for your customers, comes in handy when yiu have many streams if revenue and sources. organization us key to success. You can also accept payments
or make refunds in many different currencies and do this on your mobile,home or at the office with no process time. furthermore if you dont know they also have a money order service that allows you to send money any where in the world at very little cost. switching from the old services i was using for the restaurant to do all of this has saved $10k+ every year, cant get much better then that.

Cons

The ability to run a line if credit would be something that would improve overall value of PayPal's service. I would like to see some kind if reward system put in place for individual and buisness clients for frequent use, also the ability to use Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies would be a good addition as as the days go one more and more people use them for there everyday spending/saving and investing opportunities.

Great to Use as a Freelancer

Reviewed on 2021/02/27

It's a site and tool that I've been using for years and will continue to do so. For international purchases, it quickly connects your bank account and you can pay with a few clicks which makes life so much easier. From my experience, it's also safe and will be great if it gets introduced as a payment method by more local stores as well. If you're looking for a quick and easy way to move your money or pay online, highly recommended.

Pros

I used PayPal for years in getting money earned from Fiverr to my local bank account. It's such an easy and straightforward tool that I always recommended it to other sellers as well, as opposed to one of the competitors which at the time had very limited features. Easy to use, user-friendly and works great in making that connection between freelancing platforms and bank accounts. Even more, I also used it a lot in ordering online as it was very advantageous when I didn't want to wait for the bank to process the transfer..

Cons

Although I rarely had issues with PayPal, I did one time experience a very difficult situation as my account had to be verified by bank statements or bills that should show the address that I live at with my name on it. The bank that I was working on didn't have that option to include address and as a student at the time I didn't have any bills with the address on my name which made it very difficult. Took a lot of back and forth with customer support which is why I would recommend to have more options available to verify users rather than the standard ones which don't apply to any location world wide. However, this was just one time issue and every other interaction with PayPal has been highly positive.

Josh
Josh
  • Industry: Design

Great online payments system with many features

Reviewed on 2021/09/14

My experience has been great and I use Paypal all the time for many online purchases and have places that send me payments right to my paypal account.

Pros

There are very few places that do not take paypal. You can easily add multiple ways to pay. It also easily integrates with many things like woocommerce, zapier and wordpress to take payments if you would like. It is easy to get money from friends or people who owe you for business.

Cons

There is really only one annoyance that I have with paypal. If I have a say $10 visa or mastercard gift card and say I want to buy something for $15 most places online don't take 2 forms of payment for the same item so I need some way to put the gift card into my paypal account, but they don't allow you to easily send money from a credit card or prepaid gift cards. So the work around is to make an invoice and send it to another email and then pay with the gift card. There are 2 things with this the first is then that you must pay a fee which I understand and would be fine paying the fee. The other is that the whole process is a pain in the butt. They should just allow prepaid gift card amounts to be added to your balance and then just charge you the fee. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

It's not necessarily that I have chosen Paypal over Wave. I use Wave more for my business and accounting stuff and making pretty invoices. I use Paypal way more often for my personal stuff and many online purchases and to get payments from survey sites and a few other things. So I think Paypal has its great purposes and if I start an ecommerce website which I probably will I will likely use Paypal for taking payments with Woocommerce.
  • Industry: Music

PayPal is an Essential Payment Provider with Amazing Features for Every Business

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

Overall, my experience with PayPal has been very positive. From the ease of use, convenience and safety of transferring money, PayPal remains one of my top choices for business transactions, especially when dealing with customers and merchants overseas.

Pros

PayPal takes the globe and makes it feel small. Through the payment services PayPal offers, anyone can do business from anywhere, and know that their money, as well as the money of their customers, is safe and secure. PayPal makes it easy to send and receive money. I love PayPal's ability to convert currency easily, as well as the "instant transfer" feature where you can receive money instantly into your bank account from PayPal. I also love that when you receive money, you can use it as "PayPal cash" to pay for other transactions, or deposit it into a linked checking account. While there are several other payment providers available, the features and ease of use that PayPal offers makes it a top performer, and must-have for any business.

Cons

PayPal is truly amazing, and overall has great features. The one downside is the excessive fees. From the instant transfer fees, to the payment fees, etc, PayPal certainly takes its share of revenue. If the fees were lowered, or even eliminated in some cases, PayPal would be the top choice for just about every business.

Square Payments, Shopify POS and Google Pay

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

While I still use other products as well, PayPal is best for ease of use. Because it was one of the first available payment providers, I find that people of all ages can easily use PayPal, while they may not yet be used to using other payment providers.
Nelson
Nelson

Worst customer service and CRIMINAL treatment of long-time clients

Reviewed on 2021/11/02

Absolutely HORRIBLE. As a company who has processed millions of dollars of transactions with them, you would think it would be possible to speak to someone on the phone (it is but they make you jump through hoops) and then when you do speak to someone they are ENTIRELY unhelpful.

I have since switched to Stripe and I couldn't be happier. I have someone I can call whenever I need help, I was able to get a much better rate than what PayPal was charging me, and Stripe's technology is literally light-years ahead of PayPals.

As an example, with PayPal I spent about 2 MONTH trying to something as simple as add a user to my account so that they could send payments on my behalf - with Stripe I was able to do that in 2 seconds. Plus Stripe has infinitely better reporting, integrations, and sooooo much more.

If you're a serious business considering using PayPal as a payment processor, DO NOT DO IT. Use Stripe instead.

Pros

We use PayPal for payment processing (I own a SAAS company and we sell real estate websites and related services). After moving to Stripe, there is literally nothing that I like or could possibly recommend with PayPal.

Cons

After using PayPal to process payments for my business for over 10 years (we've processed millions of dollars of payments), a few months ago PayPal arbitrarily decided that they were going to place a HOLD on any money in excess of $95,000 every month (we do about about double that) for 21 DAYS!

It's insane! We have VIRTUALLY NO CHARGEBACKS and PayPal has absolutely NO legitimate basis for placing a hold on OUR MONEY. This caused us to be unable to meet our financial liabilities as they also gave is only a few weeks of warning.

We have since switched to Stripe which is a superior platform in EVERY possible way.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

I moved to Stripe and am extremely satisfied.
Caitlyn
  • Industry: Entertainment

The Old Faithful Every Man's Payment Processing Service For Businesses and Ordinary People

Reviewed on 2022/10/10

My overall experience with PayPal has been a pretty good one. I have used it for multiple things, as I am sure many people have. It was something I familiarized myself with when I started selling items on eBay, then when I moved on to doing other forms of eCommerce, as well as person to person payments. It has served me very well. As I titled this review, it is the old faithful payment processing platform. Perfect whether you are just starting out in business and need a relatively free platform to process your payments that is compatible with pretty much any type of web hosting platform, or just someone who needs to be able to send and receive payments for on the spot projects. I would definitely recommend PayPal.

Pros

The PayPal service is very easy and uncomplicated to use. The fast payment processing, invoice creation, and fraud protection, make it a great platform for anyone looking to start out whether it is in person to person business or eCommerce.

Cons

The only cons I can really think of is the fact that sometimes it is difficult to get a hold of an actual human person when you need a problem solved.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

I chose PayPal because it is a service I have used for many years and I know I can trust it. Also, there are somethings that I simply find PayPal to be more convenient in its function. Even though, I do also use Square Point of Sale, I find PayPal to be more convenient in on-the-go outsourcing and freelance situations because most everyone has PayPal and you don't have to ask them to whip out their credit card or whatever. They can just send you the money via PayPal.
Crystal

Payment Software With A Ton of Features

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

I use PayPal daily on our company's website, as well as three e-commerce platforms that we use (Bonanza, eBid and eBay). We offer additional payment options on our website and have discovered that PayPal appears to be the most trusted by our customers. PayPal offers a wide range of reports for tracking sales and expenditures. Because of the number of reports, I do not utilize them all. My favorite report is the monthly or quarterly financial summary because I can see what our revenue and expenses were and it is very user friendly. We print all of our shipping labels through PayPal and receive a commercial discount. I have tried other options for shipping but feel that PayPal is the most cost effective and user friendly. I also like the option of paying for my shipping costs out of my PayPal balance because it eliminates the step of transferring money to the bank and having to wait for it to get there. In addition to using PayPal for e-commerce, I do work as an independent contractor. Most of the companies I contract with use PayPal to pay their contractors. The financial summary on PayPal breaks down what money came from sales and what was sent as a distribution from a company I contracted for. PayPal integrates easily with my accounting software so that much of the bookkeeping and accounting work is hands off. I am able to pay vendors and platform fees directly from PayPal. PayPal offers more than one way to get my money. I can transfer it to the bank or a debit card.

Pros

PayPal offers integration so that I can accept payments from customers on my own website as well as on all of the platforms that I sell on. PayPal also offers a wide range of custom reports that helps me track sales and expenditures such as shipping costs and fees.

Cons

Calling PayPal's customer service often results in added frustration and a lack of results. PayPal often sides with buyers that claim there was an issue with their order, even when there is a lack of evidence to support the claim.

Shelly
Shelly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

A way to receive any kind of foreign currency.

Reviewed on 2020/01/24

Although we have had some bad times with the payment platform in how difficult it is to get the money back, as well as the big money leaks from the commissions I must say that it only represents a part of all the benefits we have achieved using paypal as our online bank, it has allowed us to expand our business exponentially, helping to receive foreign currencies of different types and get better labor allowing us to pay you quickly and securely, helps us to have better control in the payment of our bills as well as in the control of payments from our customers, making it much easier and faster at the time of a transaction, something almost immediately.

Pros

It has allowed me to receive money from anywhere in the world, it is a great utility that has saved several businesses by not having the same type of currency at the time, this facilitates transactions and removes many limitations, as well as has given us an excellent security, avoiding fraud or scams, because once we had that problem by not receiving the product we expected and the supplier did not want to return the money, then we proceeded to a system dispute where we won with excellent success presenting all the documentation, in addition the transactions are almost instantaneous and has allowed us to establish a billing system by which suppliers or customers can make their payments quickly and successfully.

Cons

We have noticed that there are big losses of money through paypal transactions, in addition to an internal commission, there is also one for the amount you send, making the service and use of paypal is not the cheapest for small businesses, as well as having to convince with these high rates to all new users, customers and suppliers that we invite to use this payment platform. The dispute systems although they are very secure we have had to wait several hours, days and months for them to review all the proper documentation and then have to wait for the refund of our money in case of scams or fraud, making it somewhat impatient to use it.

Best extra layer of security you can get

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

I don’t even know where to begin when describing all of the positive aspects of this software and how much it has changed my view on e-commerce. Prior to establishing our business account through PayPal, my company was in a place where we didn’t feel enough protection against everything that can go wrong with using and accepting payments online. Opening up a free business account here was the best business decision I have made in my time here because it allowed us a chance to sell our extra inventory that doesn’t get sold in office through different online platforms, something that has proved its worth in recent events in the country. Now we are able to sell products and perform services for patients when we open our offices back up.

Pros

The most useful feature of the software I have realized is the ability to create invoices and shipping labels directly from the platform with the customer’s information already input into each order form. Next, if there is any chance that a problem arises between you and your customer, it is handled by their professional staff through their Resolution Center and users are given an added layer of protection as both a seller and a buyer. Last, but certainly not least, each business account created through PayPal has the option to create their own direct link with your chosen title, which will take their customers to a page where they are able to pay you directly, a feature that has proven to be helpful for in-person transactions that need to post immediately.

Cons

The transfer time that it takes for the money to exit your PayPal account and enter into your bank account is a bit excessive and I wish it were a bit shorter for the business accounts.

Sarah

Linked and Loaded

Reviewed on 2020/09/07

My overall experience with PayPal, for the last decade, is that they're a solid 8.5 company with a great cash card that's easy as pie for relatives and friends to load for you in a bind, lots of controlling your own spending features, and an easy safe way to checkout on 3rd party sites without further compromising your banking information. Their customer service personnel are helpful, polite, and patient...as long as you have the time to wait for the assistance. It's kept me loyal for almost 12 years, and there's not another rival on the market even close to handling purchases easily or securely, they just aren't the best as a stand alone banking source or to handle your linked accounts money. if you can maintain a PayPal balance that's really all you need to do to alleviate the frustration from the banking end

Pros

PayPal offers some of the most reliable ways to pay for online purchases third party, when I see the little PayPal symbol on any app or website that I'm trying to purchase a product off of, I almost always gravitate towards it because PayPal safely recalls all my banking or credit card details and saves me time digging out a card or tracking down my wallet spur of the moment. PayPal also has excellent protection policies in place for peer to peer transactions, ensuring I have somebody on my side if my peer to peer sale goes pitifully to poor. PayPal emails me receipts for each purchase, let's me toggle my card on and off at will, and if with my PayPal cash cars in hand, I can literally receive INSTANT funds sent from any family or friend with PayPal, including my sister in Germany. If only it money transfer from my linked bank account to my PayPal account were easier or faster, but this is their biggest downfall.

Cons

PayPal toots their "security" horn perhaps louder than any other feature, but with good reason--as in the decade I've been a loyal PayPal customer, I've only had one breach of privacy or security. This particular breach was a result of my own personal life and nothing at all to fault PayPal for, and they linked me up with their 3rd party online check cashing company immediately to help me resolve the issue. PayPal has a decent A.I. HelpBot and customer service is always 24 to 48 hours behind the Bot with customized solutions and help . Their system automatically notifies me via email when I have a message from customer service, too, which is especially helpful considering their app's chat feature is not especially designed for being used from smartphone. The chat portal, even via desktop, is rather cramped and clunky and if you navigate away from it in any way (like oh I don't know in case your phone rings) you lose your connection to the window. However, the alternative to using the online help center is to call in to their telephone support line and while the system allows you to put in your number to save your place in line for PayPal to call you back so you don't have to wait on hold, a very thoughtful allowance, there are definitely times where my wait for a call back has been over four hours, and if you miss the call for any reason, you are screwed and you have to start over at Square One...which couldn't be more frustrating.

Extremely Easy - Safe - The Future

Reviewed on 2020/12/09

I would 100% recommend everyone to use Paypal as I believe their system will be the future to payments, especially after the pandemic ends and people are conscious about physical money and cards. Their new QR code payment system may become the norm in the coming years, similar to how the app WeChat is used for most online and in-person purchases in China. There are very few negatives to using Paypal in my own experiences.

Pros

The user interface for Paypal is as simple as it gets. Instead of clicking on multiple tabs, everything a user needs to see is on the home page when they log in - send/request money buttons, recent transactions with users, account balance, Paypal credit balance (as well as available credit and minimum payment due date), and banks/cards that are connected.
The Paypal credit system is a huge plus - barring a credit limit, you can use Paypal Credit just like a credit card and pay off the credit over time (the first 6 months being interest free). This makes payments extremely easy if you have enough money to pay but are not comfortable completely paying everything at once.
Paypal is used on almost every online store which makes them extremely convenient to use compared to any other online payment system.
Another huge advantage to Paypal is the security - they will alert you immediately if there is suspicious activity and also have two factor authentication (which I think should be required if it isn't already).

Cons

In regards to livestreaming, some livestreamers had issues with people donating money to them, charging back the money to spite the streamer, and then Paypal would side with the people charging the money back. Streamers would then end up losing money since they had to pay fees on the chargebacks. As far as I know, this situation is better for streamers but I think Paypal should still listen to their consumers more about problems relating to this as it was an ongoing issue for a while.

Beth
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Well, there's good and there's not so good

Reviewed on 2018/03/31

Pros

PayPayl's good features are that almost everybody uses it, it's fast, you get a credit card to access your money, there are a lot of apps and widgets to incorporate PayPal payments into your website if you're a retailer of any kind (I do use this in my art studio website). And it's one of Elon Musk's brain children, which generally is a great thing. I'm listing customer service as one of the cons, but I will say that the response time is fast, even if it's not what you want to hear. They don't bombard you with tons of emails. You have business and personal accounts to choose from and then can link your bank accounts to the card, so that if you're using it and it runs low, it will draw from your backup cards. Well, in theory - because I tried that the other day and it didn't work, which I'll mention in the cons as well. Yes, there are fees, but thankfully lower ones than for instance you'd see with a regular credit card. As a freelancer, it's a good method to use for transfer of payment for my services from different companies and individuals. Overall, I think it's OK, but there are some drawbacks I'll address below.

Cons

I mentioned customer service, yes, it is fast. But you don't always hear what you want to hear. For instance (and this may also be an eBay drawback) I purchased something from eBay that arrived completely unlike the description. Contacted the seller who agreed to take the item back and refund the money upon receipt. Even after I had tracking to show the item had been re-delivered to the seller, he did not refund my money. In contacting both eBay and PayPal I got the runaround and eventually no money was ever returned. Another time, GoDaddy charged my account for web services on a renewing bill that I was unaware was going to renew without my approval (because I had planned to move providers). I contacted PayPal and put in a request to review this transaction because it was not authorized by me, and they determined the charge was "just fine" and no funds were returned to me and I am now stuck with GoDaddy for another year. So that kind of makes my experience with PayPal a little bitter. Apparently anyone can just take money and they'll do nothing. I also mentioned that having a backup card matched to your PayPal card will pull money from the account if you use the PayPal card and don't have enough in your account to cover the costs. I had left my credit card in the back pocket of my jeans after putting gas in my car and was out and tried to use my PayPal card and it didn't go through, despite having linked my accounts to PayPal. So, another bitter experience. If you want to get your money any other way than through the card they provide, it takes time to transfer funds or get a check. Also you can only go back so far in time to review transactions on your card. I was recently trying to find an account history for 2014 and there does not appear to be a way to access that information. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe eBay and PayPal are severing their love connection at some point and PayPal may not be the golden child of payment methods anymore in the the not-too-distant future, which could potentially bump it from the top of the heap as the most frequently used payment service eventually.