Braintree Reviews

Braintree

Online and mobile payment gateway

4.7/5 (6173 reviews)
Carissa H.

Very handy and safe

Reviewed on 2019/06/09

I've never had a problem with Paypal personally or professionally. As a non-profit CEO, I love that we can just put a button on a website or give out our accounting e-mail addy when people ask where to send donations and they can do it right away. It's an easy way to sell any products or do fundraising events and not have to manually keep track of each transaction because PayPal keeps track of it all in one spot! Once, there was a charge that I didn't authorize, and they responded immediately and took care of it. I feel really safe using it.

Pros

I feel safe using Paypal. It is so easy to transfer funds and also keep funds safe in a separate account besides banking or savings. The paypal credit is great for emergencies to not have to pay interest for 6 months, and the new paypal cash card is a great backup to access funds as needed from any ATM. I love that I have the option to transfer funds to other accounts, and have one resource I can use to pay with ANY of my accounts instead of having to type in numbers from so many different cards. The speed in which funds are transferred for free is very fast, but to also have the option to pay a small fee for a faster transfer is helpful in emergency situations especially. It is SO easy to use and funds are immediately available by simply typing in an e-mail addy or using a paypal.me link. It's a perfect one stop to combine so many accounts together, send and receive money, save money, pay securely online, and request money. I use it personally, as does my non-profit. It saves my non-profit a lot of money by not having to have a credit card machine we use through the bank! It encourages people to donate because it is instant (so they don't forget or change their minds later) and so easy by not having to write out a check or get a money order. I love being able to see my payments and what I have received from where all in one spot. The option to return funds, request funds, or pay others all in one spot is so fast and easy! I LOVE paypal!

Cons

Sometimes I have some navigational issues on the site, but I don't know why because I've used it for so long! Otherwise, I really can't think of anything about Paypal that I don't like.

Monique K.

A great tool for any size business, but also for the average Joe to send money to a friend for tix.

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

My overall experience with PayPal as a buyer is very positive. I am happy that it is easy to use and I am protected. As a seller/business, my experience is mostly positive. I enjoy the features, the ease, and the trustworthiness as an option to my customers. However, it is difficult (near impossible) to use when you have someone using the PayPal software to get refunds.

Pros

There are so many pros. I use this software as a business, to help set-up other businesses to accept online payments, but I also use it as a person. Let me explain, I use it to send money to friends to pay for my half of our concert tickets. I use it to pay my mom back for the loan she gave me. My mom uses it to send me money if there are emergencies.

One of the biggest pros is that it is easy. PayPal is by far the easiest to use, after it is set-up. You can have all your bank accounts, cards, etc. all in one place. I do not have to have my wallet handy. Checkout is a breeze. It is the same experience across any store, and any place that uses PayPal.

As a business, it is trusted, and that is a huge plus. They are hugely protective of buyers, which makes you feel safe using it.

Continually, there are tools like invoicing, website button codes, abilities to send reminders, or monthly auto-payment requests.

The possibilities as a business and a regular 'person' are endless. I use this software daily. I even sometimes use it as a sort of 'bank account' and use the attached debit card.

Cons

The same thing that is a pro, is actually a con, though from the seller's perspective. Frankly, because the buyer protections are so strict, it can mean that money is taken from your account as a seller, without your consent. It is very difficult to regain that money. A seller must take photos, videos, and keep stellar documentation to protect themselves. The actual process itself is a bit cumbersome and not the easiest to find.

A second "con" is the fees. Obviously it costs money to process credit cards, but the fees do get to be a bit excessive. However, they are competitive in terms of how much they charge.

Paypal: Easy to use but immediate money transfers are too expensive.

Reviewed on 2019/05/26

It is a huge benefit to be able to receive artistic support and gifts from overseas friends who care deeply about my art. This would be close to impossible using a regular banking system. The bank would charge massive transfer fees, you'd have to stand in line, and all kinds of other nonsense. My experience with Paypal overall is that they have created an amazing alternative to regular banking transfers and buying online, however I think they've become greedy with their new fees, have an unclear online website, and need to step up their game to keep up with new apps hitting the market.

Pros

I mainly use Paypal regularly to send & receive gifts and payments. I like that this software allows me to use it on my smartphone. I rarely sign into Paypal on my laptop. When you are constantly commuting for work, it is important that apps can be used on the phone and that you can get a lot done on the bus. This is what I appreciate most about Paypal. The software is very intuitive via the app and you can navigate your payments, history, and balance easily through your phone. It is also easy to transfer yourself money via your phone. I would say though, that the online website itself is not as clear and needs a lot of work and to go through group testing more. I am not sure why there is such a disparity between the two.

Cons

A lot of new payment systems do not require you to wait 24 hrs to transfer money to your bank account for free, this is where Paypal is missing the mark. They are now charging 1 percent for an immediate transfer for up to 10 per transfer, which is highway robbery in my opinion. When you are an artist, every dollar you make counts, especially if you have a rare sale or rare gift received from someone trying to support your work. A lot of the time I've waited 24 hrs and it's been a pain because I needed that money right away. Additionally, as noted in my other comment, Paypal needs to make the navigation of their online website more clear, make it easier to update your address, easier to update your banking info, and easier to access customer service questions. When you have an issue it is harder to fix it on paypal, even though they rarely come up, when they do they're pretty big and it involves YOUR money, so it should be easier to find solutions online than it is right now.

7.0/10
Kidhogwa T.

Paypal can be annoying, tough it's still the best

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

would still recommend PayPal to everyone because you really don’t have any other options out there better than PayPal.
I think PayPal knows this and that’s why they don’t care to make adjustments.

I read somewhere that if you plan to travel or are changing the device you usually login with to PayPal, you can write to PayPal and explain this but I'm not sure if this works though. Maybe they could still ask to verify whether its truly you that is making the request.

Pros

PayPal is the biggest online money transfer which makes it my best choice because I work with a number of people from almost every corner of the earth.

I love Its invoicing software. It takes away the hassle of creating invoices.

The mobile card reader is great too and I use it with my Mpesa to make payments when I'm in Kenya.
In this part of the World where other online payment systems are so inefficient, PayPal is such a life saver.
The shopping cart, the instant payment, the simple click and send, PayPal is simply awesome.

It would take me a whole day to write about the wonderful features of PayPal but it would equally take me the same time to write about cons.

Cons

I think its crazy to have your account limited or locked just because you have changed your IP address or you have changed your location.

PayPal annoys me by thinking that people must use the same device to login to PayPal all their life if they are to continue smoothly running their account.

If you travel to another country or log into your account with another PC, your account can be limited.

I know someone whoose account was locked with $5000 in it. Its been 1years since this happened and PayPal has never resolved the problem.

Yes they restore your account after verification but most of the time it takes them long to restore it yet its a hassle that can be avoided.

What is worse is that I have seen many people complain about this for some time now and PayPal hasn’t done anything about it.

Barbara S.

Easy and very secure way to pay online virtually for everything without risk

Reviewed on 2019/05/18

I work for a global technology business (1,400+ people globally) with presence in multiple countries. We use PayPay on a daily basis for payments and especially, payments for some international transactions.

Pros

I really like that it is very easy to make a payment and you don't have to worry about your credit card information or bank information being disclosed to unwanted party. Security of payment is really key. Many people or companies avoid online payments as often your credit card information can be accessed by unwanted party who put fraudulent transactions on your credit card or even, bank account. Although credit card companies normally would refund such payment, this would require a lot of work and in case of business, a lot of time of your accountants. Time means money, as accountants can't spend time on other activities. Of course, there are a lot of negative emotions associated with credit card fraud. With PayPal, we don't have to worry about credit card fraud. The credit card information here is very secure. Additional advantage of PayPal is that we can make some payments, especially international payments that can only accept PayPal. Overall, we use PayPal as a business daily and we are very happy with it.

Cons

Overall, I like PayPal very much. I believe that the PayPal provider should think about widening its activity. We do use a lot of check payments and wires. I believe that PayPay should think how to expand its activity for international businesses like our company and develop some initiatives for us, to switch some international wire payments to PayPal.

Samuel T.

Convenient & Widely Acceptable Online Payments System but...

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/16

No doubt, PayPal is a very convenient payments system available on the internet. With easy integration with valid credit card, users can easily make payment for any service that accept PayPal payment, send money to friends and family, and transact with online vendors all over the world. As a user since 2014, i will gladly recommend PayPal for anyone, especially for Freelancers that sell their products and offer services online which will help them receive their payment at ease, but the payment receiving feature needs to be available for their country.

Pros

One of the biggest advantages of PayPal is the easy online payments system which is widely accepted by online vendors, big e-commerce stores and other businesses. PayPal allow users to send out money and also receive payment, which made it easy for two individuals to carry out business transactions or send money as a gift to friends or families.
One of the best features of PayPal is the easy integration with user’s Local Bank Account; users can link their Credit Cards to their PayPal account, make transactions with PayPal and get debited on the Bank Account. Another advantage of PayPal is the security, they takes security tightly, secure logins like 2FA to prevent user’s from hackers, also each transactions are monitored and any foul suspect will result to cancellation and account will be limited for verification.
PayPal has also helped me from scammers and getting out of bad deals, they have a good refund policy that help buyers get their money back easily if the deal goes wrong.
Other advantages are keeping of all general transactions histories which can be easily printed and a straightforward user interface which makes it easy to use and understand.
PayPal have a mobile app that makes PayPal easier to use, the app is available on both Android phones and iPhones; all online functions are available on-the-go.

Cons

Even with the good reputation online, PayPal can be very frustrating with different disadvantages.
A major problem with PayPal is the customer support, contacting those guys can be very frustrating, using the email takes forever before they reply, calling their mobile phone takes time before you’re connected to available support which is very expensive since it’s international call. PayPal really needs to improve their customer support and at least be less aggressive with rules, which is another problem with PayPal; example of the limitation of accounts on slightest things, even though security is important to make users safe on the internet, PayPal however takes security a little too much, a simple change in account’s activities can result to limitation of user’s account which can only be resolve with ID verification and reviews.
Another con to PayPal is the limitation of some countries from having full access to their services, my country in particular can only send out funds and pay for services but we can’t receive funds, which aren’t good for business, I have to find alternative to receive payments online.
The last one I can think of is the transactions fees, unlike other competitors; PayPal doesn’t have stable fees, sometimes PayPal can charge up to 50% of total transaction amount, which isn’t encouraging.

Stephen C.

Better than my bank!

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/14

I use PayPal for not only my eBay purchases, which is where they really started, but for many other online transaction, with both domestic and foreign vendors. In addition, their list of vendor-partners has grown exponentially since the early days. Now, it is possible to use PayPal for transactions with different types of companies in a wide variety of industries that use e-commerce for a significant percentage of their sales transactions. It would be significantly more complicated overall to do business online without PayPal's seamless and reliable money transfer and transactional payment services.

Pros

Paypal can be used from anywhere in the world and is free of tiresome and frustrating commercial bank fraud-detection services that will flag your bank account's debit/credit card while you are overseas for business or as a tourist--EVEN WHEN YOU ALREADY POSTED YOUR SPECIFIC TRAVEL PLANS, including countries and dates. I had two of my accounts with two separate banks flagged while I was overseas (Eastern Europe) from February to April 2019. My accounts were totally blocked and one foreign bank's ATM machine retained and destroyed my Chase VISA debit card. I have a Chase business banking account, and even with a business account, Chase has it set up so that a third-party fraud detection vendor can create a tremendous amount of havoc and collateral costs when I had already told Chase I would be overseas.

To make a long story longer, PayPal has never, ever caused me problems while I am traveling. Did I say, "ever"? It's true. I have been a customer of PayPal for 11 years and for all that time, PayPal has served me well, fulfilling my requests for payments to vendors and friends without a hitch. And if there is ever any questions regarding a transaction, their customer service team is easy to access and even easier to deal with. If there is a problem, they can fix it while you're on the phone with them.

I wish that all my online financial service providers were as easy and reliable as PayPal. They are certainly more reliable and accessible than my US-based commercial banks are.

Cons

In the early years, customer service was not as good as it is now. For the past 5 or 6 years, PayPal's customer service team has been world-class. On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a clear 10.

Humberto C.

PayPal Excellent Method to Receive Payments

Reviewed on 2019/05/12

Since I started my freelancer career 4 years ago I used PayPal to receive payments from my clients. I have never had problems receiving payments and everyone accepts this platform to make them. Currently there are many methods that can be much better, these can be cryptocurrencies or other methods such as Uphoald, Payeer or Skrill. However, if you are starting to receive multiple payments PayPal is the best option, since the registration is free, the verification of your account is quite simple and the limitations are practically nil.

Pros

PayPal is a payment platform that is easy to install and use
Your customers are probably already familiar with PayPal
You do not need a merchant account
You can receive payments from any client. They do not need to have a PayPal account
You can create very elegant and personalized payment formats
PayPal charges are lower than some merchant accounts
You can configure recurring payments (if you need it)
PayPal can be easily integrated into any shopping cart system
It is a platform that offers secure transactions for both sellers and buyers
Payments are fast, safe and convenient
You have the possibility to request a refund, after having transferred to another account (2 times I have done it successfully, your response is very fast, timely and efficient)

Cons

Regarding digital products, they are not covered by seller protection policies
The rates for Chargebacks can be very high
Although it has not happened to me personally, I know cases of users who have had their account suspended. Your funds have been frozen for months
Although it is a platform received in many payment systems, there is a large number of people who refuse to use PayPal. This can be limiting when doing business with these clients
Personally, I consider it a limitation that you can not transfer money from PayPal to other systems such as Payoneer, Paytm, Payeer, etc.

Cullen M.

PayPal Reaches New Heights in Security and Convenience

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

PayPal has served me well over the past 8 years or so and I will continue doing so. I've always felt a sense of security around my purchases and integrity of confidential information. Its amazing how PayPal has managed to serve such high standard of security related services while continuing to enhance its convenience via new features, fast support, and a ever widening network of user touch-points. PayPal's availability is far beyond what today's local banks offer. Users can find uses in websites/stores that accept PayPal, in-person physical access to your account for withdraw or deposit, and full control anytime, anywhere with the mobile app and superb web interface.

Pros

PayPal has always worked without fail when used as a payment method. In one glance at my PayPal dashboard either on my computer or mobile device, I'm able to check my balance, credit balance, credit payment due date and more. I've even found myself without cash or balance in my local checking when I needed to pay a bill. That's when I tried PayPal cash withdrawal using the app for the first time. Within minutes I had the money I needed! There are so many benefits and tools built around convenience within PayPal that I can't say enough. I'm a fan of investing and when PayPal teamed with Acorns for easy round up investments I was quick to take advantage of it. To be honest, I hardly use my checking compared to how much I use my PayPal account.

Cons

There isn't much to dislike about PayPal, however I there were a few times I had sent/received money from family and it was mistakenly handled as a payment. The problem was purely user based. More than likely the manner in which we requested and/or sent the money was different than the "Gift" function. The gift being handled as a payment for services instead lead to a fee of a substantial amount. Perhaps some better explanation on requesting a gift vs. payment and such. I see PayPal has recently introduced an invoicing system which is amazing.
I hope they continue to do so as they were lacking free services targeted towards individual entrepreneurs who did business under their own name rather than a business.

The Best and the only Great international Payments Platform

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/04/17

I do freelancing and some other part time works and almost everytime I receive my money from other countries. So, if there was no PayPal or even if it was not available in my country, then receiving PayPal would have become impossible for me. In other words , PayPal is the best and the only best International Payments medium for me and for my friends too. The easy and fully featured interface makes is real easy and fun to use . Sending and receiving funds is as easy as just like sending text messages on PayPal. The automatic transfer of funds is also really useful. PayPal guarantees security and complete encryption of information and transactions so I can use it without any worries. The only problem is the tax/fee while receiving a payment and also the correct conversion fee is a little bad. But overall, my experience with Paypal is really good and I appreciate .

Pros

While receiving International Payments, PayPal is the only lifeline for me. I reside in India and there's no any international Payments Bank which is easy to use as PayPal is. Without PayPal, I would not have received any money from my side works. So basically, PayPal is the best and the only best payments platform which is available Globally and accepted nearly everywhere online and mostly everywhere Offline too. The best part of PayPal is that sending to anyone as well as receiving money is easy as just like sending and receiving text messages. The second best thing about PayPal is its interface which is easy and fully featured. PayPal informs everytime whenever there is an update to their site, privacy policy, terms and conditions, and when we receive or send money. The paypal mobile app is also very easy to use and has a very nice and featured interface. When it comes to security, PayPal stands very greatly... PayPal insures each and every payment is secured and encrypted. Joining PayPal in India is very easy as just like joining a social media site, to receive international Payments, Indians have to link their Pan Card and if they want to use it locally they will have to link Aadhaar Card as well. The verification process is fast as expected. In India, due to RBI regulations PayPal has made Automatic Transfer of funds from PayPal which is really way useful, because of it we don't have to care about withdrawing the funds as they are done automatically.

Cons

The only things I dislike about PayPal are :-
1) when we receive money we have to pay a little fee which is sometimes not so little . So, there's a rule that when a user receives money, he/she will have to pay a fee and in my opinion, the fee is sometimes too much than expected.

2) The PayPal International currency conversion is really not so good. I reside in India so here the currency is INR , and I mostly receive money in other currencies such like USD or GBP , so the problem is that the currency conversion occurs in a very bad way. Example, last time when I received money in USD, 1USD was actually equivalent to 69INR but PayPal did the currency exchange and gave me 67 INR for each USD. So, if we receive a little International payment, then the currency conversion fees will be just a little as negligible bit when we receive a high payment the currency conversion charge will be high too which could be proved less benefited for users.

Dorothy R.

"You've got cash!"

Reviewed on 2019/03/15

We have not had any problems so far, and I believe that our income has increased due to allowing people to register and pay online. We haven't made a detailed analysis of that yet, but it seems that way. PayPal is easy for us to use and easy for people who want to pay online to use too. Overall, it gets a high grade from us.

Pros

We chose PayPal because it has a history and a reputation. Although there are plenty of others out there, we felt most secure in a company with its reputation. It was a little tricky to set up because of financial security concerns, but we received the help we needed and it didn't take too long. PayPal has lots of options but we only use some basic ones: we use it on our website to allow people to pay for their retreat and program registrations. It interfaces nicely with Retreat Booking Guru which we began using at the same time. We have a choice between doing a daily "sweep" of our funds into our bank account, or doing it manually ourselves. To date we do it manually. I'm in charge of this, and at the same time I do a money transfer, I print out a PayPal report for our bookkeeper so that she knows what's happening. She of course sees our bank statements, but my reports help her make sense of them. Because we are a nonprofit, we get a lower rate than a commercial enterprise would. The monthly rate we pay in addition is a fair one, we think, and there is no charge for transferring funds to our bank. We like PayPal; it seems to work very well and it is a big help to us.

Cons

I'm not impressed with the reports generated by PayPal. I have a choice of downloading a report they generate, which doesn't have all the information I'd like, or simply printing what shows on the Activity page. When I do that, the column headings are shifted so they aren't over the right columns. But at least I get the info I want and in a font large enough to read. In the overall picture, this is something I can live with.

Carmen M.

Good for buyers, not much for sellers.

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

I will always recommend PayPal for online purchases. As an honest customer I like the easiness and security it offers.
As a seller? Never.

Pros

Get paid instantly, manage your money, send invoices to your customers and clients, pay using those funds on all the online stores that accept PayPal.
With all the different options for sourcing funds, it is easy to jump from your credit card to your checking account if you desire to do so.
Their app works fast, it is reliable and allows me opening it anywhere to check my balance and even get alerts when an invoice has been sent or paid.
As a buyer, it is probably my first choice whenever I make online purchases, for safety, because I don't really like writing down my credit card details on every single store I shop at, and because it is faster, saves me time from introducing numbers and codes as everything is recorded and verified already.

Cons

As a seller, this can be tricky, specially when selling items on Ebay.
In fact, PayPal is what keeps me from selling anything there.
If you are unlucky enough to sell your collectibles, antiques or your hard work to a smart guy, they will report the item as "not as pictured", "not as expected" or any other excuses they might find creative and PayPal will ALWAYS be on their side.
I have lost a few thousand dollars thanks to PayPal and their policies and these buyers with no morals.

They are not forced to return the item, money will be returned no matter what you say, even shipping charges, and you can say whatever you want, PayPal just doesn't care about sellers AT ALL.
I can say without hesitation that PayPal has killed the hobby collector, the artisan and those small honest sellers that loved selling their products online, specially Ebay.

And this without even mentioning the "fake fakes" hunters. I tried to sell authentic Designer clothing and shoes and my items were literally stolen.
Buyer reports your item as a counterfeit and you will lose your money and the item.
They are only suggested to destroy it. Yes, right... like that is ever going to happen.

6.0/10
Sébastien L.

Paypal Is a Robust Solution to Managing Your Money Online and Almost Everywhere

Reviewed on 2019/03/02

My current PayPal account is active since 2008 and so I can confidently say that I know I have been able to rely on this service many times over the years. Their customer service kindly helped me once to set back my account to "Personal" after I had been playing with the settings and wanted to know more about their "Business" upgrade. Many times, PayPal has been my best bet in getting paid for remote freelancing gigs, knowing this is a reputable platform and having the ability to confirm the sender's identity. Because one can move money around and connect different accounts to PayPal, this flexibility has been useful a few times when buying online with insufficient funds in the PayPal account. Since it can withdraw automatically from your credit cards if you check that option, this provides a seamless integration with the rest of your digital life that's, again, secure and very useful.

Pros

PayPal opens the doors to securely managing money online quickly and easily. In many ways, this is a solution that's "set it and forget it" and it works great. For instance, adding a bank account or a credit card is a one-time process and once this is done, receiving and sending money is a breeze. One can even receive money without having first created an account. PayPal, being so omnipresent, is a wonderfully secure option to shop online on any well-known website and to receive money from family, friends or employers. Sharing a link to get paid a specific amount in any desired currency is a simple as using PayPal.Me, a nice additional feature available in the dashboard. This is a software that works equally well for personal and business use and one can upgrade their account without trouble. PayPal makes it easy to manage your money on their website by either using your available balance when buying online and also has options to transfer money from or to your bank accounts, which is a perfect bridge to the digital world. There even exists the possibility to fall back to paying with a credit card online when the PayPal balance is too low without needing to reveal the details of the credit card to the merchant.

Cons

I love this service, but I did have problems getting to validate mobile phones in foreign countries by not receiving SMS. For this reason, I had to skip the addition of my mobile phone to the account, meaning I cannot use it to recover access to my account if the need arises. I would also add that this is not an ideal service to be transferring money to your bank account on a regular basis as the fees do add up and for some reasons, this is sometimes flagged as a fraudulent behavior when the money is being transferred from one PayPal account to another before making the deposit to the bank account. In my experience, one gets much more benefits in limiting its use to online transactions.

Crystal R.

Payment Software With A Ton of Features

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

I use PayPal daily on our company's website, as well as three e-commerce platforms that we use (Bonanza, eBid and eBay). We offer additional payment options on our website and have discovered that PayPal appears to be the most trusted by our customers. PayPal offers a wide range of reports for tracking sales and expenditures. Because of the number of reports, I do not utilize them all. My favorite report is the monthly or quarterly financial summary because I can see what our revenue and expenses were and it is very user friendly. We print all of our shipping labels through PayPal and receive a commercial discount. I have tried other options for shipping but feel that PayPal is the most cost effective and user friendly. I also like the option of paying for my shipping costs out of my PayPal balance because it eliminates the step of transferring money to the bank and having to wait for it to get there. In addition to using PayPal for e-commerce, I do work as an independent contractor. Most of the companies I contract with use PayPal to pay their contractors. The financial summary on PayPal breaks down what money came from sales and what was sent as a distribution from a company I contracted for. PayPal integrates easily with my accounting software so that much of the bookkeeping and accounting work is hands off. I am able to pay vendors and platform fees directly from PayPal. PayPal offers more than one way to get my money. I can transfer it to the bank or a debit card.

Pros

PayPal offers integration so that I can accept payments from customers on my own website as well as on all of the platforms that I sell on. PayPal also offers a wide range of custom reports that helps me track sales and expenditures such as shipping costs and fees.

Cons

Calling PayPal's customer service often results in added frustration and a lack of results. PayPal often sides with buyers that claim there was an issue with their order, even when there is a lack of evidence to support the claim.

It's probably not the best, but we're married at this point.

Reviewed on 2019/02/17

Overall, I can't give up PayPal because it is so integrated with everything else I do and have - shipping, balance, PayPal Credit, etc... But there are definitely some things that are lacking, especially if my business were bigger. I definitely recommend you consider options before going to PayPal and building a life with them, so to speak, but it is possible that for you, like me, they are the best - however flawed - option that exists.

Pros

I use PayPal invoicing as a freelancer and mostly for one-off or two-part invoices. So, I can't speak to PayPal's recurring invoice feature. Here's what I like: Most importantly, the integration. PayPal feels like a bank, and to be able to make invoices and shipping labels from your "bank" is the most helpful thing. I don't have to transfer funds, I don't have to wait for them to deposit to my bank, it's all there and immediately usable. Also, the invoices are simple and straightforward, clients can pay by any means one would online, and there's a place for terms-conditions etc...I also like that I'm able to share a link or a PDF of the invoice with clients who just want an invoice for their records to then pay me through other means like cash/check/direct deposit.

Cons

First off, PayPal has awful customer service. If I had a higher volume of clients and therefore of issues, I feel like I'd use a different service. I had a client pay once and the money was taken from her bank, but it never got to me. We both tried contacting PayPal and got no response at all. It was even more insulting on my end given that I use PayPal as a business. Second - PayPal's fees when you invoice through them are a bit of a hassle and I know there's invoicing software out there that don't incur charges. This just means I have to take those fees into consideration when quoting clients, which make my prices seem a few dollars steeper than they are.
Third gripe: I've been trying to edit a part of my business info on the invoice header for ages and it won't allow me. It asks for me to upload my ID to verify, but then it won't process my ID. And of course, customer service is unresponsive. It's not the end of the world because I just hide that info from the header, but it is a minor frustration and inconvenience.

Danyale N.

Best Way To Pay In This Century

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

I have been using this software, website and app for over 10 years now if not longer. I have never had one issue with them that was not solved. I will never leave them as a valued customer.

Pros

Paypal is such a trusted source from the website to their app. They are easy to setup, anyone with a bank account can do this in 10 minutes maximum. They keep all your information secure and encrypted. They have to be the best way to get paid online as well as send money anywhere in the world. I can send money in seconds to my bank account as well as my fiance when he is overseas. It is good in business format which I have gotten to use as well. I even get a credit card so I can use it like any other debit card out and about. They also have a option for paypal credit for people that have shown loyalty and have descent enough credit not perfect but income to pay back they give you the chance. They are better than any loan company and their interests are much lower as well. You can use paypal to sell things with or just friends and family. You can have anyone anywhere send you money with just a simple link to your account which makes things easier to take donations. They have tools to use like for your websites and such as well. The customer service is amazing. They are spot on and go out of their way to help you with whatever issue you have. They also are fast to fix a fraudulent company taking money from you. Had this happen in the past after I got off the phone with them it was back in my paypal and they took care of the rest. This is a company that has showed me they value their customers. Anyone who wants a company they can trust with their money Paypal is it.

Cons

If you plan to use with any adult nature with this company it is not allowed. If it is any adult themed so if you look for to use for the adult industry jobs then you might have to look elsewhere. This is the only con I have yet to find.

Samridh S.

My goto place for transactions

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

Everyone who has done some sort of online payment and transactions have hear of paypal so it wouldn't be wrong to say it is one of the most used online third party payment source in variety of businesses. I have used paypal for last 10 years and still do for many of my online purchases and even fund raisers.
- Easy to create account and use it
Paypal account is free to create for normal usage and anyone can have it. It is simple, straightforward, and most importantly no hassles.
- Secure and safe
At this age where technology is everywhere data security is super important. Paypal takes user information and data very seriously and does encrypt it in the most secure way.
- Easy to links accounts
You can put money in paypal or link bank accounts and transfer directly. You can even send money to family and friends with a few click of buttons once your accounts is link. How great is that.
- Smooth transactions
Whether you are selling stuff or buying, everyone trusts paypal so using it for a means of payment is accepted everywhere. Ebay users are one of the biggest user of paypal.
- History
Your buying, selling, depositing and withdrawing information are locked and loaded on paypal for viewing. When someone like me who continuously buys on ebay and sometimes sells as well, paypal helps me understand how much important it is to have these individual transactions stored and organized.

Cons

Paypal is great except,
- Transaction fees for businesses
Do you buy and sell on ebay? Then there is some fee one has to pay which is not great for everyone. I hated those fees but a small price to pay for convenience I think
- Not good for big businesses
Paypal is not for big business for sure due to its lack of proper customer support and backup. Better go elsewhere.

I never had to deal with it but I know a few people whose paypal account got frozen or removed for no reason. That could be a disaster for sure and that means you have to go through a lengthy process to get your money back if you lost some.

Paypal makes it easy to receive payments

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Overall, PayPal has proven to be a great choice for business needs, as I've been able to carry it over wherever I go, whatever I do, whenever I need it. I use it to collect payment on digital and physical goods across several platforms and marketplaces, as well as to invoice clients, and pay my recurring bills.

Pros

I like that Paypal is widely accepted everywhere, and the service charge rates are competitive with other payment processors. As a small business owner this makes it easy for me to accept and receive payment not just on my own site, but across a variety of marketplaces like eBay and Itchio, but also invoice customers and pay vendors.

Also, having Paypal as my payment processor means that I don't have to be personally responsible for storing customer payment information, which could prove a big liability otherwise were my site to be hacked. At checkout, I can simply redirect them to Paypal Checkout, and Paypal will handle the rest. I can then later check my Paypal Dashboard for the customer's information if I need to ship anything or contact them.

Additionally, the Paypal Business debit card is nice, because of the 1% cashback program on purchases ran as credit. It may not mean much savings, but every dollar counts and this can add up quick! This combined with the fact that Paypal will automatically email me a receipt whenever I purchase anything has given a lot of incentive to use the card with almost every purchase I make.

Cons

The thing I like least about PayPal is the integrated Sales Tax. If you use PayPal to automatically determine sales tax, as opposed a 3rd party sales tax calculator at checkout, then you will have to manually enter tax jurisdictions in yourself. This can be incredibly time consuming if the area (county or state) you're collecting tax for encompasses a lot of different zipcodes, as there can be dozens for just 1 county alone. I wish PayPal had its own ready-made tax code database to draw from or allowed for a 3rd party tax plugin.

Paypal - Payment Solutions for Business

Reviewed on 2018/12/30

We use Paypal to process payments from a number of websites and increasingly we use Paypal for client invoicing and payments. This often leads to faster payments than traditional invoicing and BACS processing.

If you take occasional credit card payments over the phone, a Paypal business account can be a better option than a typical merchant account from one of the mainstream banks.

Paypal has proved very reliable over the years and on the odd occasion when we have had to use customer services the response has been timely and satisfactory.

Pros

Paypal is now widely recognised as a payment solution - reputation and trust are important when asking customers for payment - especially online. Paypal's key selling point is that users with a Paypal account do not have to enter card details on a website which makes the payment process safer for all concerned.

Paypal has a global presence and can accept payments in most countries that you are likely to be dealing with. As a market leader, Paypal has good integrations with 3rd party tools like shopping carts. If a payment processor is going to be supported by a third party, Paypal is likely near the top of the list.

Customers can make online payments without having a Paypal account. The virtual terminal feature is also useful for processing payments over the phone or setting up a web page for ad hoc payments.

The invoicing feature does a good job of tracking payments and reminders.

Cons

There can be occasional issues with late chargebacks and the resolution process is very much weighted against the merchant.

A Paypal business account works well for online sellers with a certain volume/value of transactions; if you have larger volumes/values, there are other payment processing solutions that may be more cost effective.

Paypal has Helped my Online Shopping be Secure and a Piece of Cake!

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Overall, I think Paypal is a livesaver for anyone who is dealing with transactions online. In this day in age, security is a huge issue, and scammers are on the rise, and you dont want that to hinder you from making purchases online, so paypal gives me the sense of security when shopping.

Pros

I've been using Paypal for several years now ever since I started my online shopping adventures. Paypal offers many pros of using their service. One of my favorites, and the ease of being able to have my money in my paypal balance and be able to shop literally on several sites which allows me to choose paypal as my payment method with ease. Also, paypal offers secure transactions that are made quick, and not to mention buyer protection on all of your orders, no matter what site you are using, you will be protected. I'm a heavy user of ebay, and Paypal has protected me many of times when I came upon scam sellers on ebay who took off with my money, but since I used paypal as my preferred method , I was able to dispute it with them and they helped get my money back. Another awesome pro about Paypal is that they offer their Papyal Mastercard which you can receive % cashback whenever you use your card. This has earned me soooo much cashback over the years, it accumulates over a month, each month you get a nice chunk of change back.

Paypal also offers features for business owners, and invoicing features to help move your online business and transactions along easily. In my previous jobs, I've utilized Paypal in creating invoices for my customers, and managing all kinds of transactions. If you plan to start doing online shopping , I highly suggest signing up with Paypal, they are trustworthy and will have your back if you run into trouble.

Cons

The cons for Paypal are little to none to be honest. Only thing I would say would be their customer service. It isnt the fastest to get ahold of someone, but when you do they do indeed help you out.

Paypal the good and the bad

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Overall, paypal is a good service, there are flaws of course but it does what it needs to. I've had clients have horrible experiences with them (held money and such), but I've got some clients that love them, I use them myself as well as they are convenient. My suggestion to most clients is to not allow a large amount of money to remain in the account at any given time, manually transfer to bank regularly or utilize the debit card to withdraw cash....but the service is reliable, easy to setup and use.

Pros

Paypal is very quick and easy to get set up and ready to accept payments, I think that's often the biggest draw to Paypal. Sending money to someone is easy and fast as well. There are multiple integration options to utilize Paypal to accept payments on your website, so you'll definitely find the right solution for you. The Paypal debit card is convenient as its much faster than transferring to your bank. Most of the time, the service works very well...but when you do have an issue, customer service is not great.

Cons

Unlike all other credit card processors, Paypal holds your money until you manually transfer it, this means if Paypal feels you have violated their terms of service, they can and will put a hold on your money. And the money held by them is not FDIC insured as it would be in a bank. Transferring money to your bank is slowwwww...but of course transfer from your bank is instantaneous. The fees are higher than a traditional merchant account/online processor scenario, but there's no setup fees and as stated above, it's very easy and quick to get setup and started right away. It's nearly impossible to find a phone number to customer service...and they aren't always very helpful.

Edwin S.

Easiest way of online paying and receiving money

Reviewed on 2018/10/31

Pros

Buyer protection: When buying a product online and a seller sends a wrong/damaged/fake item you can ask Paypal to step in.
Seller protection: When buyers complain about an item that you sold them, while having it accurately described OR when a buyer returns an item but instead of the actual item returns something else Paypal will actually step in and protect the seller. It also protects you against fraud. I would advice to keep evidence of sold goods and for valuable items obtain tracking details.
Paypal has a competitive credit facility through paypal credit. With often several months interest free on purchases.
Paypal loans are excellent for businesses. Especially when running an online business, the fees on especially small loans are incredibly low (especially compared to loan sharks, and even compared to a bank), repayments also work very straight forward.
Sending and receiving money is also dead easy, sending money non commercially to friends and family is done by just filling in the amount and the email address of the receiver and click send. On the receiving end it tends to be there within seconds and you can withdraw it immediately to your bank account. Generally it is even processed the same day (even international transfers)

Cons

There is not a lot I dont like about paypal. Their fees are quite reasonable. The main thing I dislike is probably their foreign currency exchange rate, which is not that great. However you won't be paying too much if anything in fees, especially compared to banks or even money transfer companies like Western Union or Moneygram who can charge quite a bit even on small amounts.

Caroline I.

Best Online Money Transactions Tool

Reviewed on 2018/10/05

Paypal is a great tool for online money transactions. There are other online money transaction options but Paypal is the most reliable.

Pros

I like Paypal because it is widely used and accepted as a means of payment by most online businesses. I make most of my online purchases using paypal. It's convenient. The transaction fees are also quite reasonable.

Paypal is also quite easy to set up an use. The only thing you need to have an account up and running is an email address. The process of sending out money is also very easy since the only information you need from the other party is their email account and in seconds you can have money from your account transferred to theirs.

Since Paypal rocords all your transactions, it is easy to monitor your financial transactions and make decisions.

Another good thing with Paypal is you can have more than one Paypal account for different uses in your business or personal life.

Paypal is also pretty secure. I have never has an a security challenge with Paypal. However, you should always stay safe and never share your password with anyone.

Cons

A challenge with Paypal is that if you are not careful with your passwords, your account could be hacked and you could lose your money.

Another disadvantage of Paypal is that their system has a challenge with accepting digital visa cards.

Another disadvantage of Paypal is that the company could limit or ban your account and prevent you from doing certain transactions or accessing your money as a whole. I have had my account disabled and couldn't access my money for about 6 months.

Nathan S.

A Good but not so good feature

Reviewed on 2018/05/29
Review Source

Pros

Paypal is one of the most well known payment processor services out there. Having used it for over 7 years now, there are some good things and some not so good things.

1) The ability to accept payments from almost anyone with a card. Paypal has been doing peer to peer payments for a long time now as well as business payments. Its very easy to set up an account and start receiving payments from anyone with a card.
2) Privacy when making payments -The ability to make payments knowing that your card information will not be shared with another party when making payments is just great. It adds a layer of privacy that is second to none.
3) Receiving payments - Paypal has always served as a second account of sorts for paying and receiving payments. Being able to send a request for payment and having that payment come in without lifting a finger or setting up complex accounts is always a huge plus, especially when you can withdraw that money to a bank account and actually use it!
4) Payment disputes - Paypal's payment dispute center is a service I have used many times over, the ability to resolve conflicts over service or payments within a controlled area is very helpful for someone who runs a business through Paypal or makes frequent payments. It is probably one of their best services

Cons

But not all is rosy, Paypal has over the years buffled me with some extreme challenges.

1) Unnecessary Account blocking - If Paypal suspects any suspicious activity on your account, they can block it without warning you. This happened to me once when I logged in from another IP address (was traveling at the time) and I had to wait 6 months to get any payments.
2) Support is not always helpful - While Paypal has many avenues to handle payment issues and disputes, their support center is not helpful when it comes to general account information and issues. Sometimes you have to read online to find a solution because their support can take anywhere from 7 days to never responding.
3) Using Paypal is risky. As a payment processor it is ok, but keeping money in Paypal for any reason can be risky as mentioned before issues like accounts being blocked, chargebacks and refunds can put your account at risk. For example, if you have 2 or more payment disputes, your account gets "reviewed", part of me feels like Paypal functions like a bank versus just being a payment processing service.

While I do think it is great service for making payments, the jury is still out on the receiving payments bit. My personal experience with Paypal has been "meh", I feel it is a necessary evil to get payments made and received but since there are very few other services that can match the features that Paypal has, it remains the one I use the most.

6.0/10
Beth D.

Well, there's good and there's not so good

Reviewed on 2018/03/31
Review Source

Pros

PayPayl's good features are that almost everybody uses it, it's fast, you get a credit card to access your money, there are a lot of apps and widgets to incorporate PayPal payments into your website if you're a retailer of any kind (I do use this in my art studio website). And it's one of Elon Musk's brain children, which generally is a great thing. I'm listing customer service as one of the cons, but I will say that the response time is fast, even if it's not what you want to hear. They don't bombard you with tons of emails. You have business and personal accounts to choose from and then can link your bank accounts to the card, so that if you're using it and it runs low, it will draw from your backup cards. Well, in theory - because I tried that the other day and it didn't work, which I'll mention in the cons as well. Yes, there are fees, but thankfully lower ones than for instance you'd see with a regular credit card. As a freelancer, it's a good method to use for transfer of payment for my services from different companies and individuals. Overall, I think it's OK, but there are some drawbacks I'll address below.

Cons

I mentioned customer service, yes, it is fast. But you don't always hear what you want to hear. For instance (and this may also be an eBay drawback) I purchased something from eBay that arrived completely unlike the description. Contacted the seller who agreed to take the item back and refund the money upon receipt. Even after I had tracking to show the item had been re-delivered to the seller, he did not refund my money. In contacting both eBay and PayPal I got the runaround and eventually no money was ever returned. Another time, GoDaddy charged my account for web services on a renewing bill that I was unaware was going to renew without my approval (because I had planned to move providers). I contacted PayPal and put in a request to review this transaction because it was not authorized by me, and they determined the charge was "just fine" and no funds were returned to me and I am now stuck with GoDaddy for another year. So that kind of makes my experience with PayPal a little bitter. Apparently anyone can just take money and they'll do nothing. I also mentioned that having a backup card matched to your PayPal card will pull money from the account if you use the PayPal card and don't have enough in your account to cover the costs. I had left my credit card in the back pocket of my jeans after putting gas in my car and was out and tried to use my PayPal card and it didn't go through, despite having linked my accounts to PayPal. So, another bitter experience. If you want to get your money any other way than through the card they provide, it takes time to transfer funds or get a check. Also you can only go back so far in time to review transactions on your card. I was recently trying to find an account history for 2014 and there does not appear to be a way to access that information. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe eBay and PayPal are severing their love connection at some point and PayPal may not be the golden child of payment methods anymore in the the not-too-distant future, which could potentially bump it from the top of the heap as the most frequently used payment service eventually.

7.0/10