MyCase

Practice More, Manage Less.

David
David

MyCase - Approaching Perfection with One Major (personal) Issue

Reviewed on 2023/08/17

Very positive. While I am transitioning away from MyCase due to the file size cap, I would enthusiastically endorse the program for anyone looking for a fully featured program that has really embraced integrations with other legal-related service providers that expands the features (like Woodpecker for document automation, Case Status for communication, among others).

Pros

MyCase is fully featured, approachable, and easy to get right to work - especially if you are starting fresh and don't need to transfer files/matters over. I did transfer with (relatively) ease from Smokeball. I like that the application makes quick access to information easy (typically, its the calendar, but can be case details like confirming the courtroom number, quick access to client's contact information, etc.) I thought the layout was largely very intuitive and clean.

Cons

The biggest issue is the file size limitation that can be uploaded to a file (capped at 1GB).Another issue that I ran into was that if I logged into MyCase on another tab or browser, I would be logged out of the first tab/browser (meaning I couldn't have two open at the same time), which was frustrating when it came to doing some data entry.

PracticePanther Legal Software, Rocket Matter and Clio

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Lack of integrations, not Mac compatible, price.

Smokeball

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Price was what originally caught my eye. It looked like I could achieve the same type of workflow as Smokeball (who I was with previously) but at a lower cost.
Jeffrey

MyCase is an Effective Time and Billing Tool

Reviewed on 2024/02/15

Overall, the system is workable, simple and meets my needs

Overall, the system is workable, simple and meets my needs

Pros

The most effective feature of MyCase is the easy ability to invoice clients and allow them to make direct payments into our accounts.

Cons

I am not crazy about the case indexing system. I prefer a one-name client identification and a default for tasks.

Jill
  • Industry: Law Practice

I would like mycase more if there was better financial reporting.

Reviewed on 2024/02/13

Pros

It is easy to use. Timekeeping is easy. Client communication is easy to track.

Cons

The financial reports are insufficient. The balance forward feature makes it impossible to meaningfully track a/r. It is impossible to track associate profitability.

Another pet peeve is the unread document feature. I would like to be able to mark documents read from there.

Jan

My loyal assistant

Reviewed on 2023/11/09

I have used MyCase for years, leaving it only for a time when I went to a firm that used a different product for time tracking. As soon as I could, I returned because I have found MyCase the most intuitive and rich program.

Pros

MyCase makes billing, invoicing, and trust accounting easy to manage on a daily basis. It saves me hours.

Cons

Some of the editing functions are not intuitive to me and I find that I must call customer service. I have never found the website support at all useful, but really appreciate how responsive customer service is for day-to-day questions.

Jamie
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great tool for my start-up!

Reviewed on 2024/02/20

It has been a dream to use. My new firm is well grounded and ready to take off.

It has been a dream to use. My new firm is well grounded and ready to take off.

Pros

MyCase was simple to start using. It is intuitive and once you get it's design, it works very nicely. The internal reminders and messages features help my team keep every case moving.

Cons

MyCase could needs to be more forgiving on a mistake and allow a Note to move from the wrong case file. It also needs to allow for a capture of time for LEADS so they may be billed when they convert.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Better pricing and integrations were available for a new start-up.
Brian
  • Industry: Law Practice

I wish I hadn’t waited so long

Reviewed on 2024/02/07

Pros

MyCase is super easy to use, powerful, and makes billing and keeling clients informed, as well as having an easy to use electronic file simple.

Cons

I wish it integrated with onedrive, but that’s not a huge issue.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Better price for features offered; Clio was similar but more expensive.
Angela

Great CRM for Legal Firms

Reviewed on 2024/02/06

Pros

We use MyCase mainly for case management & it is wonderful! We're able to bill all of our legal clients directly onto their related matter making it extremely easy to have them pay directly online with credit cards or even make offline payments & have them saved on the file! We save all of our notes on OneDrive & MyCase as per our compliance standards. MyCase makes it so easy to add notes and make sure all internal users are able to see and use the feature.

Cons

It can be quite expensive to have a lot of users added on the law firm side, but it does make up for it with unlimited client add-ons.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Law Practice

Love MyCase, but there is room for improvement.

Reviewed on 2024/02/21

Pros

Love the simplicity of tracking time and expenses and generating a billing statement from that time. This was the #1 feature I needed from it. Second key feature is client contact information and case status information. I use the "status updates" tab constantly to keep track of where I'm at in a case and key notes.

Cons

Billing feature needs improvement. They don't allow you to post a QR code or photo on the billing except your main logo, and they don't pass on credit card fees (the 3% fee) to the client, which is HUGE for a small firm, despite their claims that they are fully interfaced with lawpay. This is a huge inconvenience. I use the mycase to generate the bills but use a different software to bill so we don't incur hundreds of dollars of credit card fees.

James

My Case essential for Law Practice

Reviewed on 2024/02/23

My Case is essential for my Law Practice and makes my Practice so much easier. The only complaint I have is the cost (I currently pay nearly double what I paid when I first began using My Case).

Pros

The ability to update client information, call clients, update billable hours in real time instead of having to wait to get home, or to the Office, to update billing.

Cons

Cost keeps going up. It is worth the value, but my cost has almost doubled since I began using My Case

Barbara

Wow!! How easy is this.

Reviewed on 2024/02/12

Overall, after finally convincing myself to take advantage of the full capabilities of MyCase I can't live without it.

Pros

The ability to track everything just as I would if using a paper file, and calendar is great.

Cons

I find it a bit of a nuisances that I cannot past into the search bar. If I copy a name or case number, I have to type a character in the search bar then highlight it and paste my search. I would rather just paste my info and go.

Margy
  • Industry: Legal Services

This software is AMAZING. Yes, AMAZING.

Reviewed on 2019/11/15

MyCase has helped streamline the law practice that I help to manage. It's usability and features have made my life easier, and have made my management of case and client files more consistent, both front and back. Clients all receive the same level of excellent care, and I feel good knowing that by applying my workflows, I'm not missing anything. MyCase task management features are completely worth the cost of the software, even if that was all I was going to use it for. I cannot stress enough how awesome the task management is. I'm so obsessed that I literally ran out of characters above.

I also want to give a HUGE SHOUTOUT to MyCase's support team. I have had lengthy conversations with them about various issues that have come up on my end (generally not glitches, but requests I have for making MyCase more disability-accessible, etc.) and the team has never let me down. Everyone I have had the pleasure of working with has been friendly, professional, funny, kind, and knowledgeable. They take good care of me and I can see from updates that they are always working to improve the user experience. I am just SO PLEASED with MyCase. I am a convert and sing its praises to anyone who will listen (and often to those who won't!).

Pros

I am a huge fan of MyCase. Let me tell you why:
1. MyCase is extremely navigable. It is easy to understand and use. In a world where many attorneys are afraid of technology and change, that is really useful.
2. MyCase has a feature on every page view called "add an item." Unlike competitors, it ACTUALLY allows you to add any item whatsoever (notes, calendar entries, new files, contacts - you name it, it can be done), link it to people or cases, and perform ALL NECESSARY TASKS/FUNCTIONS from basically one screen view. That means, for instance, I can manage most case files without having to actually toggle through each file, saving me loads of time and energy.
3. MyCase has the best workflow management feature I have found to date. First and foremost, MyCase allows for the SIMPLE, INTUITIVE, QUICK creation of a workflow. Within that workflow, it allows you to edit tasks and add subtasks within tasks (BRILLIANT, WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE DO THAT???). I cannot stress this enough - subtasks are necessary, they are useful, and I would die without them. Or at least my pristine file management would.
4. MyCase saves mouseclicks. I cannot express to you, the reader, how important this is over time. I don't want to have to click on a search bar, then click on a case, then wait for the case to load, then click notes, then click add a note, then add my note and click done, and then click something else and something else and something else. SOLID APP. I have run out of characters!

Cons

There isn't much that I hate about MyCase, if anything.
1. My MOST IMPORTANT request has always been that, once a workflow is created, we are given the opportunity to REORDER tasks within the workflow (not just subtasks). If this were provided to me, I'm pretty sure every single request I have ever made (and there are a LOT of them) would have been addressed.
2. My second request would be for the phone app (at least on iOS) to be a little more robust and similar to the web-based version. My current workaround is just logging in on my mobile browser, but it's a little cumbersome. It saves me in a pinch when I need it, but otherwise I tend to avoid using MyCase on the go.
3. Oh, one final thing - MyCase performs maintenance on Tuesdays at 10PM (Pacific), which is a prime time for me to be working, so that sometimes cuts into my productivity. However, I totally get why they have to - that's 1AM on the east coast and they need to be done by the time the east is waking up and working. So, I always try to take the "oops, MyCase is no longer available" as a sign that I should stop working.

Rocket Matter and Clio

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Again, it goes back to efficiency. Fewer mouseclicks, robust workflows and task management. A law practice lives and dies by its process and procedure, and MyCase makes it really easy and enjoyable to engage in the creation of process. I am grateful to the creators of MyCase for envisioning a product that really takes process to heart, and I am so pleased to use it and work with the MyCase team whenever the opportunity arises.
Brent

A Great Product That Continues to Grow and Bring Value

Reviewed on 2021/08/24

MyCase has provided the opportunity for my firm to coordinate activity between staff, set and track critical date, as well as maintain an overall awareness of the business from a financial standpoint.

Pros

Ease of use. Receptiveness to adding services and options. The ability to track leads. Dropbox integration. Billing is institutive.

Cons

Would like top see the options in the mobile app catchup with the online capabilities, especially accepting payments.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

I moved from Clio to CosmosLex with the idea of having more reporting options. It ended up not being a good fit. When determining to leave ComoLex I had to determine if I was going back to Clio or to do something else. I had previously looked at MyCase prior to going to :CosmoLex and decided to look at it again then made the switch..

CosmoLex, Actionstep, Rocket Matter and Clio

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Cost point. At the time I signed up, the features offered by MyCase were al la cart options that drove the cost up had I subscribed to Clio.
Delea

Good value, dependable software

Reviewed on 2023/08/10

Other than the issues with email, our experience with MyCase has been a positive one. It's easy to onboard new team members and teach them the program. The price increase has been a drawback, but we've made it work. Tech support is responsive and I feel suggestions we make are not ignored.

Pros

Being able to access my cases remotely is critical, so I can work anywhere I have internet access. I also like that all team members on a case can see progress, status, and changes. Text messaging is also a big plus because it's the easiest was for clients to contact the firm and keep costs manageable.

Cons

The outlook/mycase email interface is clunky and not very user friendly. The legacy inbox has made it worse as we now have to look in two places to find emails, so staff has been instructed to not use the new feature from within outlook. Maybe this is already possible and we just haven't explored it yet, but not linking the email chains would also be really helpful.

Amicus was outdated

Amicus Attorney

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

I had used Clio in the past and found it to be a little clunky.
Larry
  • Industry: Law Practice

An essential tool for law office and case management

Reviewed on 2023/08/12

Outstanding. My working day is spent using MyCase all day long.

Outstanding. My working day is spent using MyCase all day long.

Pros

MyCase is easy to use for the most part. For the basics in case management, it is intuitive. It is easy to learn additional functions. If you are not sure about a function or that it even exists, getting technical support is easy and usually immediately responsive and helpful. Making comments on a calendared event is an excellent and useful function. The ability to make personalized notes on an invoice is very helpful. When creating an invoice, crediting funds held in escrow is easy. Tracking possible clients in leads and making preliminary notes is a great feature that is complimented with the global search function. The ability to remind, me, my staff and event clients is terrific.

Cons

The mobile app could have more of the functions as the desk top version. Resetting a matter and tracking the history of events of a particular case could be improved. Verifying any type of payment for a client or matter is difficult to find. A function of invoicing could be improved in regard to selecting items to be billed and reserving others; example: if I want to invoice for expenses but not fees at a given time creating an invoice is difficult.

Paul
  • Industry: Law Practice

Mediocre practice management. Good enough, though.

Reviewed on 2023/12/07

It's OK. Not bad enough to undertake the daunting task of migrating to something different, but not good enough to necessarily recommend.

Pros

I like that it is OS neutral. I like the billing.

Cons

It's not really that great for anything I do, and it's pretty restrictive on how you can set things up. For instance, there's no field in the user category to put my bar number, which is something that goes into pretty much any pleading that I draft. (1) Why isn't that field available, and (2) why can't I create custom fields? They always seem to be adding "features" that I rarely find any use for, but they won't fix bugs in their system. For four years, now, I can't clear an e-check that a client bounced. It shows up in the "rejected payment in last 30 days" field. They can't be bothered to fix that bug. Ever since COVID customer service has gone way down.

Actionstep, Smokeball and Clio

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

Trying to keep my database up with the times was getting to be too expensive.

Claris FileMaker

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

Price. Less bad than the others. Smokeball's name was simply too stupid for me to seriously consider.
Steve

My horrific experience with MyCase

Reviewed on 2023/07/01

The benefit we had working with MyCase is that is honed our customer service abilities as we were regularly confronted with astounding MyCase failures which we used as lessons for our staff to make sure that we never came off acting like MyCase.

Pros

Terminating the Agreement. Although it was as entertaining as a trip to the dentist, it was the one glimmer of sunshine in an otherwise dreary software experience.

Cons

We spent months with their support staff trying to implement MyCase. Failure after failure, it finally came became clear that they were unable to service our firm and that it was time to terminate the agreement and they continued to charge us monthly. It turned out that somewhere in the fine print it stated that you had to terminate via their online software. The problem we ran into was that even after months of banging our heads against the wall, we still didn't have access to the online software. We pointed this out to their support staff and they didn't care. We ended up paying over $10,000 and never used the software for a day. We ended up going with Clio. Maybe it was just in comparison to the agony of working with MyCase but we found our transition to Clio to be a dream.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

We wanted features that Amicus promised but never delivered in the seven years we were with Amicus.

Amicus Attorney

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

MyCase has a slick sales force. We are now kicking ourselves for making the wrong call in originally going with MyCase. Save yourselves some agony, skip MyCase and go straight to Clio.
Willie

Why MyCase!

Reviewed on 2023/07/18

Wonderful tool for tracking cases and keeping up with documents.

Wonderful tool for tracking cases and keeping up with documents.

Pros

The calendar is a great feature for staying in track.

Cons

Email is difficult to integrate with other emails.

AbacusLaw

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

MyCase is more user friendly and listen to advice for improving.

Abacus Private Cloud and AbacusLaw

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

MyCase is more user friendly and listen to advice for improving.
Sergei

I've loved MyCase since 2016

Reviewed on 2023/08/03

I would never use any other office management system. I have found MyCase to meet all of my needs in a way that allows new employees to get up to speed quickly. The improvements continually being made to the functionality of MyCase only makes working in it easier and more efficient.

Pros

Before starting my law firm I had been using several different office management programs. None of them was as easy to learn and use as MyCase. The ability to incorporate the cases that I had prior to starting my firm was seamless. The clients love the access it gives them to their file and for communication.

Cons

Some of the integration apps take some work before they are fully connected, but it's not a huge problem.

Reasons for Switching to MyCase

I liked the functionality and ease of use of MyCase over Clio.
Mike

A very good product!

Reviewed on 2023/05/11

The best case managmeent software this firm has ever used! And it continues to get better and better. The MyCase desktop and most recently Outlook integrated apps are game changers for sure. However, the Outlook app only works with Exchange, not IMAP, etc.

Pros

MyCase is a very good product that is comparable to most other much more expensive options.

Cons

The accounting and invoice features of MyCase are very limited for our kind of practice. I don't like the fact that email attachments are automatically sent and saved to the case file. I'd like to be able to customized the features a little more.

Rachelle

Love the system

Reviewed on 2020/04/22

I’m very very happy with mycase.

I’m very very happy with mycase.

Pros

Client management is incredibly easy with this software. Keeps all Court dates, documents, billing, etc. I can select what I want the client to see too, which also keeps them from calling constantly as they can see what’s going on in their case. I can also do weekly billing and see who exactly is overdue. We also do weekly calendar meetings to assess any upcoming conflicts on the calendar.

It is all very user friendly and pretty intuitive. This is my favorite client management software.

Cons

The mobile app. Being a litigation attorney, I am in court all the time. So using the app is my saving grace for many things, but it needs some serious updating. You can still see your calendar and still see that people are overdue (but can’t see by how much or when). It’s easy to access the clients information so you can call them if you put their number in the system, etc. However, you can’t open invoices to see the details. I’ve noticed I can’t open signed documents on my phone either (that I’ve had clients sign through mycase) I can only open unsigned ones. Inputting client court dates into the calendar from the phone is tricky too because it is easy to skip over checking the clients box or other attorneys to appear as you have to go into each individual one. Whereas on the computer this process is very easy. So there are some definitely necessary updates in the mobile app part of this.

Grace
  • Industry: Law Practice

MyCase has made my practice workable with minimal staff and monetary investment

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

I am able to work at home and at locations and times convenient to clients; I can offer work-at-home opportunities to staff; storage is no longer an issue since my office is almost entirely "paperless"; I have been able to reduce the number of support staff; the return calls I have to make has been greatly reduced because there is no longer a need to locate files and contact others to ensure everything is up to date; I have an efficient means of tailoring case management based on the type of case or client

Pros

--I am able to access and update my entire case files from anywhere;
--my staff can view the same information I am, when I am away from the office
--it is easy to adjust to the specific requirements of my practice; for example, I can set up a "case" for all my administrative information ("Office Admin, 2018"), including documents, time, and expenses

Cons

--the software allows firm specific information to be input, but is limited on its usefulness; for example, I have a field for travel time as part of a time entry, but the invoice only shows the total time
--the inability to store documents with a contact as opposed to a case; for example, I use a particular therapist on multiple cases but I cannot attach her resume to her contact information; to be rapidly accessible, I must store the same document with every case
--the calendar can only be printed in an agenda format; to print monthly or weekly views, I must go outside the software to a sync'd calendar

Response from MyCase

Hi Grace, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to report that there is a way to store documents as part of a contact, and a member of our product team has reached out to help you through the process. We have also taken note of your thoughts on calendar printing and invoicing, and will be taking it into consideration for improvements in the future. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our customer support team! Your continued support and feedback is appreciated.

Kimberly

A Must Have Legal Practice Software

Reviewed on 2023/03/02

I think this is a great product. Before MyCase I didn't have anything in place. I did use FileCenter to help keep my files organized in one place, however once I got my Mac they were not compatible. So when I tried MyCase on a trial period I realized that it would help my practice run a little smoother. Over the years with the added features, I am able to better communicate with my clients, keep files organized and bill my clients without issues. Overall this is a great law practice management software.

Pros

I really like the portal aspect of the software. I am able to put everything under a client's file and can choose what I share with the client. Using the portal is a way to ensure that emails or documents do not get lost. MyCase is constantly improving. Now they have added a text feature. They also integrate with other systems for ease of use in managing your practice. I also like the invoicing and billing aspect. Once invoiced the client can pay directly from the invoice either through the portal or from the email that indicates they have a bill that is due. You can even use it for consultation fees even before you open up a file for the client.I was able to easily adapt to using this software and as they add new features it makes operating my practice easier.

Cons

Even after almost ten years of using this software, I am still learning. I would definitely say take the time to get familiar with all the features. They have many articles that help you learn the product and if that still doesn't help you can always call customer service. I have had to do that a few times and they were alway courteous and helpful. I wouldn't say I have any cons except the cost of the software has increased several times since my initial start. I guess that is to be expected. I will say that over the years they have increased the features as well.

Joseph
Joseph

Agrxis Review on MyCase

Reviewed on 2023/05/19

I've used MyCase extensively and have discovered it to be a priceless tool for running my law firm. The platform provides a wide range of functions that have significantly simplified my day-to-day business operations. I like the document management features in especially since they make it simple for me to organize and retrieve client papers, court records, and other crucial materials. I've also relied heavily on the time-tracking and invoicing features to effectively manage my money and generate correct customer invoices. Additionally, I now communicate with my clients more effectively thanks to client communication technologies like encrypted messaging and client portals, which offer a smooth and expert communication channel. MyCase's user-friendly layout and intuitive user experience have made it simple for me to use the site and rapidly become used to its features. Additionally, the mobile app has changed the game by enabling me to organize my practice and stay connected while on the road. MyCase has, all things considered, greatly increased the effectiveness and structure of my practice, making it a crucial instrument for my career as a legal expert.

Pros

I have been using MyCase for my legal practice, and I must say that it has exceeded my expectations in many ways. One of the things I like most about MyCase is its comprehensive feature set. The platform offers a wide range of tools and functionalities specifically designed for law firms, which has greatly improved my efficiency and organization. From case management and document management to time tracking and billing, MyCase has all the essential features I need to streamline my workflow and manage my cases effectively. The user interface is intuitive and user-friendly, making it easy for me to navigate and access the information I need. The customer support provided by MyCase is also outstanding, as they are responsive, knowledgeable, and always ready to assist me with any questions or concerns.

Cons

In my experience using MyCase for my legal practice, there are a few aspects that I liked least about the platform. Firstly, I found the pricing to be on the higher side compared to some other similar software options available in the market. While the features and functionalities of MyCase are comprehensive, the cost can be a deterrent for smaller firms or solo practitioners with limited budgets.

Maren
  • Industry: Law Practice

Amazing Product, but could use some tinkering. Always improving and easy to use.

Reviewed on 2023/07/18

Great. Love how easy it is to use and that you can get to the same place several different ways. The customer service is A+, best of any software company or really and service provider we use. Our clients also seem to really love the portal and the ease of making payments. Add Item options should be colored again for ease of use.Quickbooks has some issues syncing and causes odd results.Really needs to add a date filter in the "Create a New Invoice" page for when I am billing the prior month. Filtering by "uninvoiced balance" is insufficient because it captures charges for current month, which is not the month I am billing for.

Pros

Easy to use. Love how the clients can pay online. I love how the case and client screens are integrated.

Cons

I absolutely hate that I cannot have my legal staff assist with the billing functions without also having them see the financial condition of the firm. I have lost an employee to them seeing how much the firm brought in and them believing we did not pay them enough. They then shared this information with other staff. I have considered leaving MyCase because of this I hate it so much. I need my staff to be able to send out payment requests for a retainer or a consultation or I need them to be able to answer a client's question about how much they still owe without the firm having to disclose how much we make each month or each year. It is honestly outrageous that this has not been resolved yet.My second largest complaint is that there is not easy way to download a remove (i.e. export) a client's contact, case info, communication and documents in an easy way. We are obligated to keep our client's file for a particular duration of time and best practice is that this information be kept in two locations, in other words, it must be backed up. The reminders pop-up is also very frustrating that I cannot control the default "ignore" time. It is set at 10 minutes and that is that.

Juanita

Small but mighty

Reviewed on 2021/11/16

I love Mycase. I use it for everything. I use it to chat with staff, message clients, email courts, I store documents that I can attach to emails all while never leaving MyCase. It's a one stop shop.

Pros

I love that the software is user friendly. If you can use Facebook, you can use MyCase. Older clients are always hesitant until they use it for the first time. It makes client communications (regardless of method--text, call, e-mail, message) simple to maintain and to track. My staff and I can stay on the same page about what is being communicated to clients because it's all in the case file!

Cons

The third party integrations could use some work. MyCase doesn't allow for Zapier and so it means things are a little less automatic and requires a person to go in and do things. Some times that is a bit time consuming. They have added a number of third party integrations that are phenomenal.

Reasons for Choosing MyCase

I used Clio at the firm I worked for before. The pricing was outrageous and the functionality wasn't as easy as MyCase.

Pricing and ease of use