Kanban Tool Reviews

Kanban Tool

A truly visual project management service.

4.8/5 (36 reviews)
Ryan D.

Flexible, Intuitive Time and Task Management

Reviewed on 2017/04/20

I was recently on the hunt for a task management tool that I could run separate from the commercial products used at my workplace. This would allow me to add in personal tasks and lower level tasks that weren't appropriate to track in the enterprise boards I was a part of.

I came upon Kanban Tool and was immediately impressed by the set up options; At a basic level, you already have access to basic, time and event driven Kanban boards, as well as several types of team boards for collaboration. From there, you can further customize the columns, number of lanes, and functions. You can import and export tasks through .csv and and calendar, making everything portable.

In practice, I was impressed with the simplicity of the cards on the board. They can be created by color, helpful when trying to manage a bunch of different workflows like I am. At a glance, I can also see the priority, days until due (or past due days!), and the number of sub-tasks within a card. That's right - You can set up checklists WITHIN the card, which is hugely useful. If you like to have a card for each subtask, you can do that to, and mark subsequent tasks as blocked until the subtask is complete. I also enabled a cool extra that causes cards to "fade" over time, giving another visual cue to things that aren't getting done.

Time tracking for each task was a bit of a revelation. Once I got in the habit of shifting every task I was working (The timer starts as soon as you put it in the "in progress" zone), I got really good info on what type of tasks were chewing up time, and even on the fact that I was working on a lot of things throughout the day that I didn't think to track.

Finally, Kanban Tool offers what they call "Power-ups", which are basically plugins. The ones I have been really excited about are the ability to attach files to Dropbox or Onedrive, a custom Chromecast feature that allows the board to be cast up to a TV (Great for my family chore board in particular!), and one that allows you to manipulate checklists without opening cards.

In the end, the only real niggle I had with the product was that while I can manually arrange cards in the To Do area (I use multiple swim lanes), one lane can't be longer than the others.

I am an enthusiastic product researcher, so I was a bit surprised when my productivity management hunt just lost steam after starting with Kanban Tool. For flexibility and daily use, I couldn't ask for more.

Pros

Flexibility, extensibility, intuitive interface.

Cons

Not being able to fully manually arrange to do items.

Miguel G.

A Kanban board that caters to any needs

Reviewed on 2018/04/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Kanban Tool is truly one of the best Kanban applications I have seen. It is definitely a Kanban purist, providing functionality beyond simple boards with drag and drop functionality. It provides plenty of features to make this a very functional application for environments who truly embrace the use of Kanban boards. The UI is simple and clean... nothing fancy, just pure functionality.

Pros

Kanban Tool offers true kanban board functionality with an amazing number of features and customization abilities not found in other Kanban products. Kanban Tool lets you create Kanban boards of any size and style. Start with a default simple board and expand columns and swimlanes as needed. Customize the cards by various types, as well as customize the fields you wish to display. Kanban Tool starts with 11 fields and lets you add another 15 custom fields. Reconfigure your board and choose from about 2 dozen power up apps to make your experience better.

Cons

Kanban Tool avoided the eye candy most other developers often rely on to bring customers on-board. They left well enough alone. No fancy UI's, just truly functional product. In hind-sight, this is not necessarily a CON, but thought it deserved to be mentioned.

Ran K.

Great tool to disseminate and monitor team tasks

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

great tool overall.

Pros

Kanban is used by many departments for tasks.
We are able to track and disseminate tasks to team members and know were additional resources are needed. Very intuitive UI interface.

Cons

unable to sort tickets visually, search tool can be improved much more to do quick and more in depth search.

Response from Shore Labs

We highly recommend sorting cards by any chosen criteria, by right-clicking an empty space between cards in any column.

Very efficient

Reviewed on 2017/01/19

Kanban tool does what it claims to be best at facilitating smooth team collaboration in an easy, no-nonsense way. Love the new design they've brought out, love the ease of creating new projects, love the maintenance-free time tracking, love their quick support team.

Pros

This is probably one of the 3 easiest to get to know applications I have come across.

Cons

Not the best mobile support, I'm afraid.

Simone F.

Effective tool to master your personal and team productivity

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

The overall experience is fantastic because you can take note of every activity and make it done for sure!
Also it's funny to move cards and customize their colour, the visual impact is actually helping your work.
Finally a word must be said on Support Service: they are very professional!

Pros

The flexibility in task organisation, swim lanes are fantastic to group related tasks.
The possibility to add details, files, checklists, is great!
Also remainders and priority&due dates are very useful.

Cons

The software is free only for 2 users, this limitation is quite strict.

Casmin G.

Great tool for productivity.

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

Improved efficiency and team output.

Pros

It's a great tool to improve team productivity. Whether you're in software development, sales, or marketing, it's awesome. You can easily view everyone's tasks on one board and then assign new ones, rate tasks based on difficulty and time needed, set deadlines, and more.

Cons

It is the best tool for project tracking and staying on task and productive. The only little complaint I have is that unless you log in, you can't easily see all the changes that have been made.

Mary grace E.

Efficient Kanban Tool

Reviewed on 2018/09/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I love using this tool because I can easily manage and track the status of my projects. It helps to my team to update their assignments from time to time.

Cons

Limited user for the free version. A little bit expensive but worth it for the organizations to make it better.

Marie kris S.

Easy to Manage Tool

Reviewed on 2018/10/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like this tool in managing and deliberations of task to my team. I can easily organized the activities and monitor their work.

Cons

So far I have no negative experienced in this software. The functions and features are very great and easy to use.

I used this with a small startup in the Philippines and it worked well.

Reviewed on 2018/07/29

An easy visual for a team that spoke two different languages. There were also members of the sales team that had very minimal experience with project management requirements, documentation, and technology as a whole. The visual ease of this tool created less stress and everyone knew what expectations were required yesterday, today, and tomorrow. What held them up, what actions they had that held others in limbo, and of course the ability to celebrate in unison when the team accomplished a goal.

Pros

Language and cultural differences didn't slow down the learning of the team. The visual ease of the tool is phenomenal. Recording important files, checklists, due dates, and handoffs became very smooth.

Cons

There were older execs on the board that still preferred to see a Gantt chart for the integration of different services. This flies against what Kanban was meant to do. There was no easy way to export a report and create a Gantt chart for others. External reporting as a whole is not easy.

Manuel T.

A Must Have Low Cost and Extremely Intuitive Tool To Have

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

This has been a must have tool for me to organize everything I need to do. Without it, I would be incapable of getting anything done.

Pros

This tool is easy to use and doesn't require any training. The low cost is definitely a plus.

Cons

It isn't extremely sophisticated but I wasn't looking for anything like that anyways so I don't really see that as a negative.

A good tool to divide the work into parts, write each element on a card and put on the board

Reviewed on 2018/07/04

Pros

Division of labour
Columns with names to illustrate where each element is in the workflow.
Assigns well-defined limits to the amount of elements that may be in progress in
every moment of work flow.
It measures the delivery time and optimizes it to make delivery as short as possible.
-Measure the delivery time and
optimizes the process to make the delivery time as small and predictable as possible.
-It has a panel dedicated to statistics, which is very suitable in the analysis of the work done over a period of time

Cons

the free version is limited to two users and two tables, if you want to add more users and tables you have to choose the paid option, in addition the free version is used to manage only simple projects with small teams

We love Kanban Tool

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

We're able to easily manage complex projects. The add-ons give it additional functionality that comes in handy, and we can add anything we need ourselves.

Matthias c. B.

better than we first expected

Reviewed on 2016/10/21

We mainly wanted to use the time tracker, but from a few months' perspective - it seems the overall increase in process visibility has been a huge improvement in how we work. The financial dep. are overjoyed with the possibility to automate recurring tasks - they're working just like clockwork. Overall, very useful application - the not too steep pricing also helps.

Pros

no training was needed - easy to use.

Sorin A.

Really good. Simple and useful

Reviewed on 2018/11/26

Pros

I can have 2 panels for work and personal tasks
I have an app on my phone and as well a web version I can use from my pc

Cons

I don't know how to remove items automatically from Done column after a period of time. I need to archive each of them. The Done column becomes too big after a while.

Response from Shore Labs

Sorin, glad to see you're enjoying the service.
We recommend using the "archive all" option for the Done column - it is available under a right-click menu on the column header.

Felix K.

Looking for a smart way to get away from sticky notes?

Reviewed on 2018/04/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I use this tool to organize all tasks within our little two person department. I started some weeks ago because I had so many notes in my paper organizer, in Outlook and sticky notes. It takes only minutes to setup and create tasks in Kanban. Since this day my colleague and I are using it every day and can see efficiency increasing already. For our needs a very well developed solution. Thank you.

Pros

Create your "first" draft within minutes
Even free version offers a huge range of useful add-ons to manage your tasks
You can customize almost everything to your needs

Cons

If you are looking for a simple cloud based tool to get rid of your paper notes and Outlook notifications there are no cons in my opinion.

Todd M.

The only online kanban tool that checks off all the boxes

Reviewed on 2017/06/14

We got our project requirements and tasks under control quickly and allowed several stakeholders to "get on the same page" easily, streamlining communication and nailing down requirements.
It's hard to imagine what this tool does not have. You can customize fields. Maybe customized reports? I don't know. It seems pretty complete to me. You can really hit the ground running with this tool AND it lets you import your items from Excel or other sources.

Pros

This software actually gives you columns AND swimlanes. You'll notice almost all of the competitors do not give you that. Managing items is simple as drag and drop, click and type. The online collaboration piece is solid and administration is a no brainer.

Jenna M.

This tool is very useful in keeping my to do list organized, tracking my time & reporting on it.

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

I find this tool to be extremely useful. Before using Kanban Tool, my Account Management team has been keeping time sheets that I built in Excel so that we could report on how we spend our time. My department is focused on finding as many efficiencies as possible in how we operate internally and support our clients so that our value can scale as much as possible. Kanban Tool is one of those major efficiencies!

Cons

So far, I haven't seen anything I don't like. I am curious to learn about all of the features to be sure my team is leveraging the tool to its fullest potential!

Roman S.

My favourite Kanban software!

Reviewed on 2019/04/10

I've tried lots of different Kanban software after using real physical Kanban for a while. This is the only software which make me feel that it's working for me and not the opposite.

Pros

Design. Ease of use. Customisation flexibility. I'm a visual person, for me it's very important. Color-coding, layout, tags, custom fields. Here it looks really simple and it makes you really do the job instead of trying to figure out "how to"s

Cons

No cons for me. Maybe just small one, for me it would be cool to be able to join some sections vertically.

Paul A.

its the core of tracking my time, work and efficiency

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

Manage tasks in a mode 2 operation to show value in development

Pros

Its easy to use and fully customizable to an extent,

great add on features in the power ups and can tailor the whole user exsperience

Cons

Reporting could be alot better and more engaging - i.e Dashboard for different views of the kanban flows, iterations etc.

Also the 'archive' would be good if this presented better as its hard to store, or look at what you achieved

Response from Shore Labs

Please note, it is now possible to search through all archived tasks, to easier locate the cards needed.

Ravichandran (ravi) D.

simple and detailed scrum board

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

Pros

the ease of use
collasping the story points
the ease of controlling what to display on the sticky
calendar integration
tools to review the progress
ability to add notes, attachments and checklist
quicky edit the scrum board layout
screen castable
multiuser
log of activites
searc option
can add task via email
and so on

Cons

changing the background
ability to customize the stickies on particular swimlane and category.
no much to dislike. i really like this tool.

Keshia B.

Great visual project management tool

Reviewed on 2017/12/27

Pros

This tool is very easy to use. With working on a team we could see where we were at with our projects.

Cons

I felt that this tool was very elementary for what my team and I were looking for. We tried this product out but ended up going for something more as we needed to share documents and such.

Response from Shore Labs

Please note, Kanban Tool does support various file hosting services integration, namely: Google Drive, Box, Dropbox & OneDrive. Also, direct file attachments are available in Team and Enterprise plans.

7.0/10
Guilherme F.

Good Tool

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Pros

Kanban Tool I recomended, because this tool optimize my work and my team. I had have more control about the jobs and I can see all the jobs together in the tool.

Cons

Control the jobs.
Optimize my time and my work.
Help my team.

Daniel A.

Excellent product for Project Managers across industries.

Reviewed on 2017/04/17

I have tried Kanban Tool for six months and I can say it has all the features you can expect from these tools and it allows me to be more organized: it is visual, based on colored-notes, drag and drop, you can customize the work flow, for teams, analytics, etc. Take a look a it.

Pros

It has all the features you can find in other platforms.

Cons

It has room for improvement (the design). For example, I have also tried RealTimeBoard (awesome design).

Vipin K.

Love this product very much

Reviewed on 2017/12/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

About two months backs I was searching a product using which I could manage my personal work. I found many products and tried using those one by one. In all among them I found that kanban tool is very handy, easy to use, mobile application, excellent customer support.. etc. My overall experience is very good. Good luck team - kanbantool.com.

Pros

Light weight mobile application
Daily work status emails
Free for 2 users ;-)
Excellent customer support

Kanban Tool

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

Pros

Visual the Kanban Board
Dynamic table design
WIP ready

Cons

Cannot drag and drop swimlane
Cannot move swimlane to other board
Cannot export attached file