Targetprocess

Visual platform that helps to scale agile across the company

Bruno B.

Awesome product for the right cases

Reviewed on 2019/10/30

TP helped us a lot to manage a complex project that had many teams working in parallel in a large product roadmap.

My conclusion was that to be worth the investment the teams should take advantage of all the features and metrics that it can generate.

Depending on client's project management in some cases it was not possible to use correctly sprints and generate metrics. In those cases we ended migrating to other tool (such as Trello).

Pros

Tons of good features
Very flexible and powerful

Cons

Expensive for companies in Brazil

As we are a consulting company, there wasn't a good (and cheap) way to add clients to the projects with the ability to add comments to cards without purchasing a license.
In some cases there were more than 10 people involved in the project that would have very small interactions. It would not make sense to purchase licenses for everyone.

Dejan B.

As regular TP user for more than 5 years I recommend this tool to every team with agile...

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

We are having multiple teams that are cross-functional and have multiple projects. Also we practice some of the agile methodologies in our work and TP is great tool to support our business needs.
Also TP is great tool and has great blog so we give to all our new employees as onboarding procedure to learn from TP blog and to get familiar to TP.

Pros

TP supports all agile methodologies.
TP supports very big flexibility over it configuration and setup.
It is complex, very very complex, but still has intuitive UI.
I like TP's DSL used in search and filters.
TP is very very rarely under maintenance but even there it is usable.
As admin on TP I have big flexibility with user management.
Licensing is flexible and it is easy to add or remove some team members.
I like TP's blog.
Also I life option "follow" on items in TP.

Cons

Price, I have to say for company like our (from Bosnia) this price range is very unpopular.
Some dashboards, graphs, reports are very hard to understand and setup.
We could have use of some integrations that other products support (Bitbucket, some solutions for software documentation, Gdrive, Slack,...).
Sometimes descriptions on items are flickering (like they are being updated with some delay).
Pasting image to description is awesome thing, but sometimes can be slow and can irritate.

Martin L.

Yes, I do want to visualize everything!

Reviewed on 2016/07/05

When I started using TargetProcess I didn't pay much attention to its slogan: "Visualize everything". But that is really its strength.

Let's say you have 500 items (bugs, user stories, whatever) represented as cards and want to review them. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to spread them out graphically using two axes of your choice. Let's say you want Severity as rows and Priority as columns. What if you could also zoom out to see the big picture of where most of the items are concentrated. Or what if you want to spread them out over Project as rows and Estimated Effort as columns? What if you could also drag/drop items in this view to actually set estimated effort by dragging an item to the wanted column? What if you could introduce a third dimension by color code the cards? Perhaps you want to let all cards that are already assigned to a release have a green color and let all cards that are already assigned to an iteration have a yellow color? Or let all items that are already assigned to a sprint OR release but have no estimated effort yet be colored red? All of this (and much more) is easily accomplished in TargetProcess and this is why I like it. These features in TargetProcess are in my opinion unbeatable and I have evaluated many, many tools before I finally found this piece of gold.

Pros

+ Its focus on visualization.
+ The integrated testing module.
+ The feature voting system where you can wish fro completely new features or upvote others ideas. (I've had one feature released that I upvoted.)

Cons

- It can look a little complicated/frightening at first with so many views setup by default.
- The pricing model. It is almost linear with the number of users, although half of the users at most just use it move a couple of cards on a board per week.

Target Process works great for non software projects

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Pros

The extreme degree of customization that is supported by this product is excellent. I have created dozens of process queues and pipelines for customized business processes that have nothing to do with software engineering. The ability to replace the software-development terminology with other more pertinent monikers is excellent.

Sales pipeline? Check.
Quote tracker? Check.
Business process tracker? Check.
Service tracker? Check.
Construction project pipeline? Check.
Ordering pipeling? Check.

The web-hosted version of Target Process is outstanding for a small company that wants sophisticated collaboration software without a dedicated IT staff.

Cons

Ability to generate local back-ups is not intuitive.

Rajan T.
  • Industry: Computer Games

TargetProcess

Reviewed on 2018/09/23

Pros

TargetProcess is a cloud-based project management tool that is being continuously improved with new features. It can be configured to use a number of different workflows and has very customizable ways to view your project's work so different roles can find the views that work best for them.

Cons

The biggest complaint that I've heard voiced about TargetProcess is that it's cutomizability can make it easy to lose entities. For example, if you're working on an Agile project and have an epic, feature, story, task breakdown with releases and sprints, you can set up a view that shows all items related to a feature and in a release but when you add a new item the new item will only inherit some of the properties of that view and in some circumstances will disappear immediately.

TargetProcess have added a list of recent changes though which makes finding that entity easy but it is a pain as you have to set up views to find lost entities to keep the project tidy.

Marcos M.

Powerful and ease of use together

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

Targetprocess helps everyday all of our developer teams, scrum masters, product owners and stakeholders to organize the refinment, planning and daily track of all of their work with a ease of use and a nice and usable interface.

Pros

Ease of use when you want to create a new board, also the boards configuration is very powerful, with lots of possibilites of filtering and visualization tips. Despite this, if you have any doubt or question you can contact with their support team by on-line chat, every time I contacted they have solved my doubts.

Cons

Lack of information and/or manuals about DSL language to edit or build new reports.
In our case the notification system don't work properly and seems to send messages to people who do not have to receive them.

Tobias S.
  • Industry: Automotive

My Targetprocess

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

A bit of a threshold to get over in the start (hence only three stars for "Ease of Use"), but once that threshold is passed it is a really helpful and efficient tool. Very versatile and adaptable, which makes it easy to fit to your own business needs.
The SW has been a lifesaver when it comes to planning our internal and external releases.

I've haven't been in contact with Customer Support, nor do I have any idea of the price for the system - therefore I cannot really answer the last two points...

Pros

Nice interface in general, easy to use.
Intuitive way of assigning work for certain releases.

Cons

Filter functionality is good, but a bit "messy" and not very user-friendly.
There is no really good way (that I have found) to highlight milestones and User Stories/Features/Epics in the time plan.

Jeffrey M.

Target Process is a great bugging tool

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

Our company uses Target Process to manage our bug and product improvement process. Target Process is great for companies that have users that are geographically separated but need to work closely together.

Pros

Easy to add or view the Target Process cards we have created - both historic cards and currently active cards

Cons

As a semi-technical person I get a little intimidated about how to use some of the advanced functions, I am still discovering your knowledge base.

Jared H.

Target Process

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

Overall, I really like Target Process and would recommend it. It is easier to setup than a full-blown Jira instance, and provides the most useful tools and capabilities without too much effort. It also has decent support for custom webhooks and other more advanced needs.

Pros

Target Process is very customizable, very affordable, and constantly developed - all while being relatively simple to configure for small to medium businesses. It handles agile project management easily and naturally.

Cons

The target process UI seems to be built on a framework that is dated. Roadmaps are woefully underdeveloped (though missing altogether from similar priced competitors), and the movement of cards and column adjustments appears to be a few years behind in its handling.

Mathieu B.

Really great tool for Scrum Projects and customer support +++

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

We work with Target Process for almost 1.5 year and are very satisfied.
We mainly work on a big project with two Scrum team of 8~9 people in each.
The Product Owner can manage their backlog, the developers follow their work and the ScrumMaster play with reporting, burdown, etc.
The tool is fast, once understanding, it is very easy to use (there is a lot of "shortcut").
Some functionnality are missing but the project is updated quite ofen.
I really encourage you to have a look on it but not a too simple "test", the tool need some days to be well understanded.
There is plenty of documentation and the customer service is ver very reactive.

Pros

Powerfull, the backlog management, easy to customize.

Cons

Rights system (to simple), not possible to easily retreive something deleted.

Ben P.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great mobile app

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

I have really enjoyed using TargetProcess. The web app works great and I rarely have any issues with it. I love the mobile app and the ability to get alerts on it. The mobile app is great for looking at the status of things while away from my desk and in a meeting. I can also easily enter a story or task in to fill more details out later as soon as I get the idea.

Pros

Great flexable app that can be customized to your organizational needs.

Cons

Sometimes it can be slow to respond and when things get upgraded other features sometimes stop working the way I expect.

Håkon olav D.

Function rich business critical software

Reviewed on 2016/06/23

TargetProcess has a steep learning curve, you have to dive decisively into the product and invest in both learning and practicing; not because the UI is difficult, but because it has a ton of functionality and you need to be somewhat familiar with SW development lingo, e.g. SCRUM and Kanban.

Pros

It is a safe place for all my requirements, stored in a useful structured way. It helps me manage all my development activities and has a ton of functionality, after 2 years we are still not able to take advantage of all the functionality.

Cons

Can you say that it has too much functionality? I don't think so, so I leave this field empty.

Powerful tool

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

Pros

From time to time in various companies, I see people desperately try to achieve their goals with a mix of some software and custom home-made utilities/tools. It's the time when just one thought comes to my mind: how easily it could be achieved with the help of Targetprocess...

Cons

The most important problem for me is performance. But this is a consequence of design choice: either you have a dumb and primitive solution, or you have performance problems.

Juan felipe S.

Track, consult and reuse work from one project to another. You will be very productive

Reviewed on 2016/06/23

I´m the product owner but our company don´t have any product that I can use to track and do my work. We have software to manage the code, that kind of product is not for my work. In a project are involve several kind of providers and teams, one for QA, other for develop, other for configurations between envairoments, etc. With Targetprocess I can centralize, simplify and report all my work. If I don´t have this software, probably I will be do only the 10% of the work that I´m doing right now with Targetprocess.

Pros

The concept behind: Views. Depent with the team that I´m working, I use a different view that help me focus in the things that matter in that moment. Other great thing is that I can track, consult and reuse work from one project to another.

Cons

Because the QA team is a provider, their have his own software to report bugs. I don´t know how integrate both softwares.

Tevin P.
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A visually empowering project management tool.

Reviewed on 2018/07/06

Pros

The special feature where you can try upvoting for a certain feature, in order to get it implemented in your application. The support and customer service are highly responsive. You would find videos and tutorials to demonstrate the use of the application. It is a very affordable project management system. You would find application getting upgraded in the sense of features. The tickets system helps you stay updated with the tasks. You can customize the application based on your requirements. The graphical user interface is, in fact, easy to use, and they provide Gantt charts, timesheets, and third-party integrations.

Cons

The application is too flexible, this might create confusion for some users. The entities present in the application are quite difficult to grasp and understand. It takes time to get the application started up while you use a web browser through the desktop devices.

Shane K.
  • Industry: Program Development

We reviewed several platforms, we are still happy with our choice with Targetprocess

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Before Targetprocess we tried several other platforms; trello didn't have enough structure to be able to track software feature requests from start to finish effectively, Pivotal Tracker wasn't flexible enough and wasn't easily able to track other components of scrum outside the sprint itself.

Pros

The flexibility this software is capable of providing is second to none.

Cons

I found it necessary to train users when introducing them to the software partly because the GUI isn't entirely intuitive.

Ken W.

Indispensible

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

I've been with Target Process for awhile and I like that it's improving constantly.

Pros

I like that I can view the work in each sprint in a variety of different ways.

Cons

Some of flows aren't as obvious, when I look at a user story and close the that partcular window, sometimes I'm taken out of context or not in the context I'm expecting.

Maksim H.

Just a Review

Reviewed on 2016/06/27

As a BA, i use TP every day: creating epics, features and user stories, updating tickets and tracing the changes, running the reports, setting up the boards and the views - i do it all the time

Pros

It is easy to set up a clear and understandable hierarhy
There is a possibility to attach images right into tickets - it is really useful
Several persons can be assigned to a ticket at the same time

Cons

Sometimes it is too difficult to look through the history - for each record, the whole 'Before' and 'After' texts are repeated
Setting up filters while creating views and boards can be really difficult for understanding

Scott S.

Great board, but crappy reporting

Reviewed on 2017/02/28

I really like using the boards, but they can be difficult to setup. Also some of the business logic setup around the boards doesn't jive with what we want to do sometimes. The worst part for me is forecasting and reporting. It takes a lot of data for the burn down to be accurate. Which is frustrating.

Pros

The ease of the boards once they are setup.

Cons

Difficult to setup boards. The reporting is not great. Limitations to what I can add logic wise.

Derrick W.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I really like using Target Process

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

We've been using it on our project for the last 2+ years.

Pros

I think it's very easy to use and it's very customizable to suit your needs and it's a great way to keep progress and communication together for your project.

Cons

It's a minor thing but I dislike how you have to right-click -> "Open a new tab" on a task when I used to be able to middle click my mouse to get the same behavior.

Benjamin H.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Learning curve, but amazing...

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Our process was very scattered, and difficult to remember what was done, by who, and no notes anywhere. Everything was in our head, which made tracking down later issues nearly impossible. Targetprocess brought order to the chaos, and no we have a way to check details on projects completed several years ago!

Pros

I love the many different ways the software can be customized. It is very flexible, and every time I thought "Oh, it would be nice if..." a little digging proved it possible.

Cons

Strengths are also prone to be weaknesses, and the number of features can make it hard to find a handy feature later, or where you made a change. The documentation is good, but sometimes hard to know what to ask, and impossible if you don't know the right terminology.

Great scrum software

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Overall we really enjoy using Targetprocess for our team.

Pros

Has all the necessary features for our scrum project management

Cons

A little cumbersome. We had some glitches that took a while to get fixed. Some UI features were lacking for a while too (which have now been added) - such as being able to drag and drop multiple stories up or down in the backlog.

Claire M.

Super customizable and intuitive but can break unexpectedly in odd ways

Reviewed on 2017/02/16

We love using Target Process, most of the time. We have our workflow customized exactly to our needs and can provide specific views for developers so everyone knows what to work on and when. The filters are super powerful, and much more intuitive than in the past. The drag & drop functionality allows us to make large scale changes quickly without a headache.

At the same time, there's a few services that break on a semi-regular basis, most prominently 'auto-update' (i.e. the comet protocol used to update the contents of the screen without needing to refresh the page) and full text search (i.e. elasticsearch based token method of searching all entities which, when disabled, prevents any kind of searching other than by-entity-number). These two can bring our productivity to a screeching halt (imagine a developer working. Sometimes we can reindex the search and get going again within an hour or so, but often we can't even access the plugin to do this (nor, frankly, should we have to).

There have been discussions about moving to Jira (which is basically the only viable competitor at this point) because of its flexibility with integrations. However, the actual product isn't easy to work with so it's been a sticking point. But, it's not out of the question.

Final note... customer support is helpful but is staffed according to European time zones. So, right when you need them the most in the US, there's one dude trying to help you and he has no path of escalation to engineers. They'll fix your problem quickly overnight, though.

Shaine G.

Good tool for managing software projects

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Pros

Sprint planning and story roll over into the next sprint

Cons

The thing I like least about TP is that it allows you to combine multiple projects into a single view.

This might sound like a good thing, but because it is available, it becomes the norm, and become the "standard" view. This causes noise.

• Industry: Higher Education

Great for project workflow management

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Pros

The software is fairly versatile in hownitncan be applied. We use it across all departments from very technical use of many features and workflows in engineering to the basic email request features in non-technical departments.

Cons

It has a bit of a usability learning curve I’ve been told by newer users.