Knack

We help everyday innovators to create custom, no-code apps.

Leanne W.

Numerous bugs and lack of customer service taint an otherwise useful tool

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

This system worked well for what we needed this year. The main need was to create a system to enter and track points from our various members for year-end awards. This was a complex system to build because of the many different categories involved, and so far Knack has handled it. Building the system was extremely frustrating at times, as fields and properties would sometimes refuse to update, or the system would just hang and not do anything. I have built other apps with much the same issues. Customer service was initially helpful but now seems to ignore my requests for looking into bugs even after multiple attempts to have them resolved. We are on the middle tier plan. For example in one of my apps, the app simply hangs if I sort a certain table by one of the fields. Their answer was to not sort it by that field when using the app. I have also had records that should have been deleted not be deleted. I have put my own stop checks into the app and have not had any corrupted data as of yet, but the issues I've had do concern me.

Pros

-Easy to learn and build numerous apps
-Lots of functional field types
-Easy to customize CSS and Javascript for each app if desired
-Excellent price point

Cons

-Very buggy
-Customer service was initially very responsive, but eventually stopped responding to my requests for simple bugs in my app to be fixed, even after numerous attempts to resolve.

Patrick A.

Game changer

Reviewed on 2020/04/27

Game changer. Cant imaging our business without it. The speed in which we can develop apps to run companies is unmatched. We have tried to find a replacement, there isn’t one. Also a big bonuses is how quickly this scales. We run family owned plumbing operations up to globally companies operating in several countries all from the same platform with no need of expanding local server resources.

Pros

The fact that the software acts like a native app but is in reality a micro website. Edit and upgrades are pushed out with a refresh with having to go through the process of submitting to an App Store. Also dont need to develop for different platforms/screen sizes. One size fits all

Cons

There are several features that have been requested over the years from many users that seem to be left behind. The biggest one in 2020 is that the mobile side needs a big upgrade in order to compete with native apps. A big one for us is uploading of photos on the mobile side. Its very cumbersome and slow. We have lost a few jobs because of this. Need some sort of mobile app that connects to these databases.

Andrew C.
  • Industry: Food Production

Knack helps us make chocolate more efficiently

Reviewed on 2020/04/23

Knack allowed us to set up our own "app" by creating a simple database with a front end for users. With limited resources for programming, I learned how to run the builder myself and set the program up for my team. Our Operators enter production data through the interfaces and we've been able to make the system work well enough that I do not need to enter into the builder to fix data errors. Our production managers use their custom interface to ensure records were entered correctly on a daily basis. This eliminated a huge amount of physical paperwork. It also allowed me to have summarized plant performance by a set time on the following production day.

Pros

The pricing model makes it an easy sell to get started. You don't have to pay per user, so if you aren't sure whether you'll be able to achieve your goals, it provides a low cost opportunity to make an attempt.

Cons

My biggest concern is that our app has become complex enough that it will be difficult for it to be handed off to a new user in the future. Once the software is launched for the team, any changes you make are in effect instantly - there's no opportunity to preview them and roll them out later. Additionally there are a couple of glitches in the builder interface which are frustrating at times. Knack is in Beta with a new interface and I anticipate that these will be resolved.

Holly S.
  • Industry: Sports

Just what I needed

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Pros

This is Everything I need from a database & simple interface builder. I took a long time evaluating existing products for my business programs to no avail, and decided I needed custom solutions. As a nonprofit I know we couldn't afford paying someone to do it so I took it upon myself to research options & move forward. Knack was my first intro to "no code" cloud app builder and I love it. I check around every 6 months or so to see what competition is out there, I've yet to find anything I enjoy using quite as much.

Cons

That apps cannot integrate / stay in sync. It's going to take a lot of extra work to integrate all my company's apps, as it is not feasible for all our programs / branches to use one app, and some information needs to be in sync across all apps. I just know by the time I've finally done it, they will have built in the feature / option...

Leann A.
  • Industry: Banking

Affordable and did everything we needed!

Reviewed on 2020/07/06

I loved Knack! The fact that it was completely customizable made it so it did everything we needed to do and more!

Pros

I love that Knack is completely customizable! This product can do almost anything you need it to do with little to no programming experience required.

Cons

To get Knack to do exactly what you want, you have to build it which can be time-consuming but ended up being it worth it for us in the end.

Jacob H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Geek candy for a middle-of-the-pack geek!

Reviewed on 2016/08/25

What's geek candy? It's that little moment of excitement you got when you opened up that sweet lego set, or figured out your phone can do "talk to text." I'm a middle-of-the-pack kind of geek... better than some geeks and worse than equally as many. What's cool about Knack is that it can offer something for everyone. I have used it to give us much more insight into our business. We can track progress and make better decisions.

Pros

Knack is easy to use, they listen to their customers and the pricing structure is awesome.

Cons

The app layout through the UI is limited.

Kevin W.

Useful but full of problems

Reviewed on 2018/08/16

Pros

Easy to create web-based apps. Can achieve a variety of tasks using 3rd party tools. You can embed your app in your website.

Cons

The interface is slow and limited. Can be quite clunky and frustrating and trying to work out how to achieve something with the help of Zapier. Customer support stinks. No one is ever able to sort any issues and if you make the slightest mistake or accidental you could break the whole app and be needing a backup which they charge , they quote 1-3 hours usually and takes 3-5 working days so not particularly business friendly. Javascript locks up occasionally in the back end and you're either left waiting and nothing happens or nothing happens when you click the save button. Fairly expensive considering how unpolished the software is and how woefully awful their customer support is. The reliance on Knack/Zapier/Webmerge integration doesn't always work seamlessly and learning to implement it yourself can result in duplicate Webmerges which cost a lot of money too.

Brett W.
  • Industry: Program Development

great online database

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

We have an employee base that covers the United States. Before we used the Knack software we had each person filling out individual Excel spreadsheets. We would then have to manually combine these spreadsheets to get information from the entire sales force. With the Knack software we are able to allow our employees to log the information into the Knack site and we now have access to the full information quickly and easily.

Pros

The Knack software is easy to use to set up forms and pages to collect information online.

Cons

The software can take a little getting used to when you first start out. I would think this is normal for any advanced system like this.

Jonathan P.

Amazing support

Reviewed on 2017/07/25

Pros

Ease of use and user function to arrange data for customers. The support staff have been so supportive I ask them questions all the time and are just really happy to help with sometimes silly questions.

Cons

Could do with a little more customisation to represent data such as tiles and visual tools like a website builder would work great for the visual representation for pages. Though I feel knack could be set to bring on some awesome features later on.

Think knack could also have multiple object records within a list of data connected to the logged in user as big work arounds are needed for this at the moment

Alejandra F.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Good for those who don't know how to code

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

Pros

Easy to setup and use, highly customizable

Cons

Pricing structure and cost is too high for the amount of storage you get

Dagmar N.

Knack Review

Reviewed on 2016/06/28

I need an online database system that provides intuitive design features, real database functionality and a user friendly GUI. In addition, I need a system that allows for the implementation of business rules and workflow.
Knack is the only system I could find that provides all of this at a very competitive price.

Pros

Database functionality, such as primary and foreign keys that actually work.

Cons

Interface and reports can be more design friendly without having to use CSS or Javascript.

John S.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Knack 2016

Reviewed on 2016/12/08

Knack has been a useful product. I find it to be helpful to small and medium-sized clients who want a database without the high price tag.

Pros

Knack has a good user interface and is a lower price point for databases of this type. They have very good service and the online chat help is excellent.

Cons

I have found that we need developers to do work that I would not call high level but this assistance does ramp up the relatively low cost of the product. This happens with almost every database, but I was hoping Knack would be different.

Brandon L.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Extremely Satisfied

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Very satisfied new user

Pros

Ease of use for people without IT/database creation backgrounds.
Prompt global support.

Cons

Additional currencies for ecommerce functionality/fields

Analise F.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Knack Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Pros

Multiple functionalities-Coaching, Return Status information.

Cons

The design is of low quality and looks very old.

James F.
  • Industry: Program Development

knack... Just wow!

Reviewed on 2020/04/23

knack has been a huge help for our company. We were looking for a online database solution that we could customize for our unique business. And knack for the build 100 times over.

Pros

Great online builder with a very easy learning for it. They offer get webinars that demos a lot of the You can get up and running in minutes not months once you have a plan. You can even customize with css and javascript.

Cons

Only con i would say and was not a deal breaker was the use of css take a bit to get use to for major customization

Great Database Development Tool for Non-Coders

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Pros

Knack is highly flexible and easy to use once you know the platform. Powerful platform that's hard to match.

Cons

The dashboard can be a bit buggy, I regularly find and report bugs to the company...but they are quick to fix them in most cases. Even with the occasional bug, there's still nothing that rivals this platform.

Matthew W.

Great software now good for users in Europe.

Reviewed on 2016/08/24

I use Knack to build my main business application. The interface and functionality is excellent and I have looked at all the alternatives at length. If you are not an IT person, then this really is the business. The tutorials are also good. The support team are responsive in the chat interface. During the two years I have been using the product there have been continuous upgrades which have been excellent.

Pros

Great intuitive interface, great software, fair pricing. Now that EU servers are available this makes it a great product for users like me who hold client data and need to comply with EU data privacy laws. I am already delighted with the product, but have seen a beta version of the new builder which in my view takes the produt from excellent to perfect. As a non-technical user (I am no more than a competent excel user) I had never thought I could build my own functioning application. With Knack, I can.

Cons

The standard support hours are based on the US working day so that means we in Europe have to wait. Having said that, if there is an emergency there is 24 hour response there. This is a minor niggle and I guess when Knack grows to dominate the world they will put more support on.

Kevin s. O.
  • Industry: Furniture

One of the Best

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

Knack is seriously one of the greatest apps that exist out there for those who need to organize their offices. Nowadays, data is produced in such huge amounts that it ca be very difficult to organize. This leads to chaos and lost productivity. Other database apps like Access, OpenOffice and even just SQL are not user friendly and the UI is chaotic. Knack is an easy way to make your own custom database with functionality that expands seemingly daily.

Cons

There's a bit of a learning curve, but I learned it in about a week. Now I've made a CRM/HRM/Project manager all in one with unlimited logins for pennies on the price of a full-suite solution.

Jonathan T.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

One of a kind

Reviewed on 2020/04/24

Outstanding . The customer service team really cares and the product is actively evolving

Pros

I really do not know what I would do without the resource of the Knack platform. There is so much cross talk of data between those who provide it and those who need it that than an online, customizable, easy to implement data management platform is the most optimal solution.
Love the ability to customize with CSS and JavaScript and connect to other software through Integromat

Cons

Not much to NOT like ; as I see it there are features I haven’t figured out how to use yet and things that don’t work because of pure user error.

Mike D.

Super easy and fast

Reviewed on 2015/11/13

I was looking for an cloud based application that could allow me to build a database in the cloud and present that data securely to users over the web for viewing and editing. I tried out Caspio, Ragic, Airtable and AgileApps also during the process of picking an application.

The only other provider that I like was Caspio- they have a ton of features and can be used fairly easily to build business apps. However, Knack won the day based on the fact that it is more intuitive to figure out (I needed very little help), super fast to edit and view the results and capable of doing so much.

I built my first app in ~ 2 hours. I couldn't change it so that each user could edit their own data, but not the data of other users. Knack customer service helped me with process using just email- that is how easy it is. I could understand their emails and make adjustments.

I am confident I could built a new app in less than a day- even if moderately difficult.

Pros

Super easy to get going (it is the most intuitive interface).
Price by number of apps instead of by user works well with our company.
Powerful features including, for instance, users logging in by their Google+ or Facebook profile (single sign on).
I have not run into any bugs.

Cons

You can't adjust the presentation layer (the website) as much as, say, Caspio. You can change some things like colors and basic layout, but most of the CSS is fixed.
Their formulas are very weak. They only allow basic functions, especially for manipulating text. For formulas, I found Airtable to be much better.

Response from Knack

Hi Mike, thanks for the great review! We take a lot of pride in our support so we always love to hear that it makes a difference. We also have a major formula upgrade coming in the next few weeks!

Mark W.

Knack is fantastic

Reviewed on 2016/07/09

I've created a number of different applications with Knack and its been able to satisfy all of our use cases and be extensible where needed. Its been great to use and you can build web applications at a fraction of the cost it would normally be. There are great custom developers that can build entirely or help out with integrations as needed.

Pros

Powerful and yet easy to use. Extensible

Cons

Some of the features take some time to learn, have to invest some time up front getting to know what it can do.

• Industry: Design
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Neat product depending on your needs

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

Overall, Knack is a fine product, and it was easy to implement and use. However, I do think there are better products out there, and I didn't find it to be worth the price tag given our needs. It might be more valuable for those who want to use it as a full database rather than using pieces of it.

Pros

My company used Knack as a recruiting tool - we had applicants create a profile and apply through the site for various job postings - and it was fairly easy to set up. The system itself was easy to navigate, and it kept the records organized nicely.

Cons

It's possible that using Knack as a full database provides better results than using it as a recruiting solution, but it did seem limited in features for our purposes. We've used other database products that have a lot more features and functions in addition to being much more customizable.

Christina P.
  • Industry: Building Materials

Great Product, Trouble with Stability of Platform

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

Overall, I think this is a strong product but still has bugs to work out and functionality to be added. However, it is still one of the best of this type of product.

Pros

Incredible product for building databases/order systems for small organizations. Functionality is substantial.

Cons

The lack of support and the turn around time for support is difficult. For companies that use as an integral part of their business it is risky for an ordering system, etc... Also, having problems with the rules and parameters disappearing randomly on forms has been a problem for my organization.

Jørgen F.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reasonably priced and easy to use database software

Reviewed on 2016/07/07

Using Knack for making a customized ERP for my business. Used for database, forms, checklists, timesheets, CRM, service dispatch and more.

Pros

Very simple and quick to create tables and connections. Good selection of functions. Reasonably priced. Good API and intergration with Zapier.

Cons

A few small bugs and some missing features. Could have been better interface for tablets and mobile devices.

Michael G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Super User-friendly and Support Team

Reviewed on 2020/04/24

Pros

The actual interface. Very user-friendly and elegant appearance.
Few clicks to access all functionalities.
A lot of functionalities and flexibilty to create the workflow.

Cons

The search feature needs to include to filter by roles.
Need a sweep functionality, with finger or mouse.
Improve some grafics functionalities.
Improve the e-commerce function.